Please Make Map Completion Account Bound

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sirlath.1672

Sirlath.1672

You say People who have done 100% Map Completion like 5 times don’t want to work for anything? Are you serious? How often have you done it?

8 times and I don’t want as many legendaries nor do I have/want/need 100% on all my characters as I’m effectively only playing one.

Well then you’re one of the lucky ones who can do the same Maps over and over again and still have fun.

Posted by: Tentonhammr.7849

Tentonhammr.7849

I work full time and can only play 2-3 hours a night.

30 minutes of map comp, rest of the time spent in fractals (or doing whatever it is you like doing in this game.) I’ve done map completion 10 times with this schedule, despite the fact that I hate map completion with a burning passion. Nut up and get it done or live without it.

Honest question: why do you guys argue about/discuss changes like this, that any rational person can surmise will never, ever happen….ever?

It doesn’t matter what you like to do. Because you enjoy it, everyone has to? No. It could be optional and you’d not have to do it, others could if they want, done. You can not counter this with any argument, period.

And how do you know it won’t ever happen, are you the CEO of ArenaNet?

I…don’t….um…..what?

Did you even read what I wrote? I HATE map comp. Despise it. Yet I do it for world completion to make legendaries and have easy access to vendors and WPs and other things. I’m not doing it because I enjoy it. I do it because I feel it’s necessary for the way I play the game. If map completion is so vital to you, shut up and get it done, or do the bare minimum you need to get by.

Zelendel

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I find it unlikely anet will make any change. Mostly because it don’t even take long to walk from place to place.

Let’s say you want to do a dungeon or a world boss, just get there earlier and walk. Do it a few times, you get all the way point you need.

I tried to get enough way point on a character to do guild mission. I remember it don’t even take a long time to do it. If you compare to other things in this game which actually take a long time, I doubt Anet will make change.

Posted by: Sirlath.1672

Sirlath.1672

I work full time and can only play 2-3 hours a night.

30 minutes of map comp, rest of the time spent in fractals (or doing whatever it is you like doing in this game.) I’ve done map completion 10 times with this schedule, despite the fact that I hate map completion with a burning passion. Nut up and get it done or live without it.

Honest question: why do you guys argue about/discuss changes like this, that any rational person can surmise will never, ever happen….ever?

It doesn’t matter what you like to do. Because you enjoy it, everyone has to? No. It could be optional and you’d not have to do it, others could if they want, done. You can not counter this with any argument, period.

And how do you know it won’t ever happen, are you the CEO of ArenaNet?

I…don’t….um…..what?

Did you even read what I wrote? I HATE map comp. Despise it. Yet I do it for world completion to make legendaries and have easy access to vendors and WPs and other things. I’m not doing it because I enjoy it. I do it because I feel it’s necessary for the way I play the game. If map completion is so vital to you, shut up and get it done, or do the bare minimum you need to get by.

And how is that an argument against optional account bound Map Completion?

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Only thing I would be in favor of account bound for map completion is waypoint discovery, but then, people would probably say that map completion is too easy once you done it a single time.

The reason I’m in favor of waypoints at all is because it’s a pain sometimes going and discovering things like world boss areas on each character you have, or forgetting which one has what place unlocked.

But I could equally see an argument that having wps unlocked means a huge % of the work is already done for you and the rewards are too easy to get the second or third time around.

Something compromise-ish could be a thing like… once you’ve discovered the entrance to a map, that initial entrance wp is now unlocked on all characters, new and old. But only that wp and any other wps you unlock that qualify as an entrance don’t count toward the account unlock.

The idea would be that it’s a little easier to get around on alts, but not so easy that it undermines the spirit of map completion.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

Okay a perfect compromise. Bring flying mounts to open world.

Unlock them across account for a leveled 80 character. If game map design does not allow for high fly stick with low flying. Make sure we can attack and harvest nodes while mounted. Speed increase while mounted over what we would get from a speed boost walking. Mounts can also run and jump while we ride.

To easy? Set it so that people have to have at least 3 level 80’s before they can unlock mounts.

MAKE MAP COMPLETION FUNNNNNNNN.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

It’s actually not that far-fetched. They’ve already added completely free and easily accessible ‘insta-80’ items via PvP and birthday rewards. It’s not at all unlikely that in the future they’ll make some of the vanilla content easier to get into, especially if future updates and Living Story content requires the expansion.

Full map completion will never be account bound, but I can definitely see it becoming a lot less tedious in the future.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

Okay a perfect compromise. Bring flying mounts to open world.

Sounds like a great idea. A flying griffon or air ship which you can board from lion’s arch to each map.

If you still can’t walk to the place you want to go you are a bit too lazy.

Posted by: Gimli.9461

Gimli.9461

No, no, and no. Did I say no?

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

When there are things that depend on 100% map completion…then “not doing it” is a penalty that is unnecessary.

The only thing you miss out on by not doing 100 % map completion is the Gift of Exploration and I’d like that to have a value.
Don’t call me ignorant because you want everything for free.

How is it free when I’ve already completed those maps at least once? Check the definition of free maybe? You may want to check the definition of everything while you are at it, because that is one thing. In fact, if you are having this much trouble with definitions…you may want to just buy yourself a dictionary lol.

what would you expect to happen if you were to walk into a store and pick up an item and walk out with it? “But i’ve bought one of these before! it’s not like i’m getting it free!”

~~

What if certain WPs were flagged account bound – zone entrance, dungeon access, maybe world boss ones?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If ANet does put an option to have map completion in the gem store, what do you want to bet the forum will be filled with threads screaming PAY TO WIN!!!!!!. I’d say about a 100% chance that there would be an unceasing stream of p2w threads because of this from then on. Even once after the vets are reconciled to it, new people will see it and make a thread to put in their 2 cents.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

They’re not going to put it in the gem store. The day they put map completion in the gem store is the day that either a) map completion no longer gives any rewards or b) the game is on its last few months and they’re cashing in.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I do love ready through threads like this, with people expecting ANet to be able to do it with ease. Not to mention people don’t want to work for anything anymore. Just want it handed to them.

You say People who have done 100% Map Completion like 5 times don’t want to work for anything? Are you serious? How often have you done it? Sob off with that old man MMO player attitude. By the way it would be easy, Beta Characters had full Map Completion except for hearts. Your point again?

So it’s stopping you from leveling alts, that’s your problem, and yours alone. You don’t want to do it, but you want all the benefits that come with it. Again your problem.

Of course it’s my problem, not yours. So? You think only your problems and views matter?

There are lots of things I don’t want to do in this game. But I do them as that is how it’s designed to work. At the end of the day there will always be something we as players don’t like, but you can’t make everyone happy.

Well you are aware that designs can change, especially when they become obsolete for veteran players. And you can kitten well try to make everyone happy.

Sure people don’t want the rewards now, but what about down the line, ANet could add something that might require map completion. Then we’ll get QQ ANet I need my map completion back, QQ.

Why would they add something to an old, obsolete aspect of the Game? Also if it’s an optional unlock on character by character basis, the QQ aspect is eliminated. Easy.

You are comparing a Beta character, one that is designed to test things with a normal account? Yeah because they must be the same right? Sure they are………

Nothing about the core game is obsolete, you will need all hero points in the core game as well as the ones from HoT to get the elites. ANet are good at making things matter, they want every map busy. Why do you think they did the whole mega server thing? So every map would be busy.

As for how many have I don’t it with? Seven, and I’ll be doing it again with my rev.

But hay, lets ask ANet to make the game easier, then complain about how easy it is.in the next breath right?

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Just a flesh wound.3589

I wonder how many would consider it p2w if ANet sold on expansion day one the unlocking of the new maps? If you pay X amount of gems you’ll get all the waypoints and hero points

How is this different than selling vanilla Tyria unlock in the gem store? (And no, there is no guarantee that a gemstore unlock would require an account to have map %100 first on at least one char)

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

You say People who have done 100% Map Completion like 5 times don’t want to work for anything? Are you serious? How often have you done it?

8 times and I don’t want as many legendaries nor do I have/want/need 100% on all my characters as I’m effectively only playing one.

Well then you’re one of the lucky ones who can do the same Maps over and over again and still have fun.

I bet you’re doing something else over and over in the game.

Posted by: Arvizal.8436

Arvizal.8436

Why would you ever do that? That’s crazy. Some people want more than 2 tier 1 legendaries, you know.

And what if it’s optional on a character by character basis?

I’m not sure I get what you mean. Are you saying that you can chose whether map completion is account bound or not?

Thief main since launch! – Ded Pixel – Maguuma – [SAS]

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

Why would you ever do that? That’s crazy. Some people want more than 2 tier 1 legendaries, you know.

I’m not sure I get what you mean. Are you saying that you can chose whether map completion is account bound or not?

I think he wants, like, a checkbox to unlock the map on a given character to your most completed status.
I feel like that’s maybe a bit too much of having one’s cake and eating it too >.>

Just a flesh wound.3589

One big problem with having a gem store map unlock now is that the hero points are needed for unlocking the Elite specialization. Even if it only unlocks the waypoints, this allows chars to buy the unlock, waypoint to all the hero points and get them much easier than someone who hasn’t opened up their wallet. This whole thing of letting people pay money to bypass the game and character progression is not healthy for the game and imo would be a mistake for ANet to allow. If they put a way to get it by playing, much as WvW can now get hero points by playing, that would be one thing, but not by purchase from the gemstore.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Arvizal.8436

I think he wants, like, a checkbox to unlock the map on a given character to your most completed status.
I feel like that’s maybe a bit too much of having one’s cake and eating it too >.>

That’s definitely too much. I would rather have them not touch the system, since it isn’t broken. Also, having the option to have map completion is just kinda stupid and doesn’t fit with the game. What, you want half the people to be doing map comp. for their legendaries and the other half having the entire map unlocked on their lvl 2 alts? The logic is really flawed here.

(edited by Arvizal.8436)

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

This is a perfect opportunity for a gem store item.
A single use magic stone that will unlock all waypoints in the world map for one toon.
If you want it on another toon you buy it again.
Make it expensive.

Posted by: Leaa.2943

Leaa.2943

God no, mapcompletion is the best way to farm crafting materials, keys and other good stuff. I even make characters to make sure i can make more map completions and fill up my needs for crafting. I especially make sure i have a low level charcter to make mapcompletions in area that gives linen.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I am stepping in to say I do not agree with the OP. I have 11 soon to be 12 characters and 3 world completes, with no real need to get more on other characters. I am not upset in the least with how we get world complete now.

Posted by: Vieteriukko.6075

Vieteriukko.6075

I have 9 chars. Three map completes and the rest are slowly progressing. It is content and something to work towards between wvw and pvp that I mostly play.

As a side note I would prefer wvw exp not to be account bound.

Arvizal.8436

I have 9 chars. Three map completes and the rest are slowly progressing. It is content and something to work towards between wvw and pvp that I mostly play.

As a side note I would prefer wvw exp not to be account bound.

I’m curious to know as to why you want WvW exp to not be account bound? I actually like it that way.

Posted by: flog.3485

flog.3485

Although I disagree with making map completion account bound, I think Anet could maybe implement a way to make map completion a lttle bit faster. Here is my idea: create a recipe in the mystic forge, some sort middle-ground solution for players
You collect items that are tied to a specific region in the world, you combine these items in the mystic forge and create a consumable that any character will be able to use. When this item is consumed, waypoints and only waypoints would be unlocked for a new character that would travel through a specific region, which consists of different maps. And as I see it, one consumable would unlock waypoints for one character, with varying untradable collectibles to combine depending on how many waypoints are going to be unlocked
A win-win situation: players who are bored with map completion have a way to speed-up the process and players who like to explore the world map with many alts are also happy.
What do you think about that?

Posted by: Banchou.5628

Banchou.5628

And have a army of lv2 on Teq? NEVER.

The only thing I would accept as a perk for a alt by having World Completion on a character is the fog of war lifted from a completed map on all alts. Only that.

Want to use a Waypoint from a “unfog” map? Discover it first like always.

Posted by: Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Spirited Was Eceni.3869

Please don’t make map completion account bound.

The little gold star beside a char name is usually a better indicator of player skill than AP imo. AP is account bound so just because a person has 15K doesn’t mean they know how to use a particular class, that char may be 10mins old and levelled with tomes. They may run into a dungeon having never before been in combat with that class.

Conversely, a char with a gold star beside their name has fought it’s way across the whole map and may have a decent understanding of their class.

If it’s waypoints you want unlocked then why not just run to them? It doesn’t take long if you travel to the nearest town and run from there.

“Judge a person’s character by how they behave when given anonymity.”

Welcome to the Internet, exposing characters since the early 80’s.

Posted by: Draeyon.4392

Draeyon.4392

I wouldnt mind having the option of having just waypoints unlocked on alts once you achieve map completion but keep the zone faded out until you visit.

Or something like a vendor that sells an acc bound consumable (could be like lvl 60+) that gives a character full map completion but obviously no exp, zone rewards or Gifts of Exploration would be given and you would need a character to have completed map completion to buy it

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

No thanks, I would loose my main source of experience for levelling alts….

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I wouldnt mind waypoints being account bound, but the rest not since its good to have some char specifics in a game with alot of account friendly systems

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

This is the only thing preventing me from wanting to level alts.

1st NO kittening way. I’ve done 100% on 3 of my 8 characters, one of my guildies has done it 11 times. If you don’t want to, don’t do it.

2nd You can have 80s without having 100% map completion, I have 5 without and I’ll do the others in the future, when I want to.

3rd Elite specializations require it so this is never happening thankfully.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Retroactive change making previously hard earned reward easier to obtain is one of the most destructive things you can do in this genre.

Not only does it promote and embrace laziness, it pretty much kittens all over the pre-existing players who earned it the hard way.

You don’t have to bother with WvW any more….I’d be pretty happy if I were you.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

I would like Map completion to be account bound after doing it 2 or 3 times… and that’s a stretch. I got bored after the first time.

And even more now that half of the Hero Point required for the elite spec are in the completion of the map (my 8 alts are in pain).

Posted by: Akaikos.9613

Akaikos.9613

My problem inst with Map Completion and Exploration…I love it and shoundt go away. What would be a good addition is waypoints ACC bound, everytime new character is created we have to get all main waypoints (like guild missions) again. Just waypoints would be nice for me.
Some way to turn it off for people who dont like it would be nice too

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

I’d like to be able to pay a fee of like 100-150g on a new character to unlock all of the WPs for that character, only if you’ve already done world completion. It gives you the important bit which is the biggest hindrance to me using characters that aren’t my Ranger in the open world.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Arvizal.8436

I would like Map completion to be account bound after doing it 2 or 3 times… and that’s a stretch. I got bored after the first time.

And even more now that half of the Hero Point required for the elite spec are in the completion of the map (my 8 alts are in pain).

So what would be your solution if people want to get more tier one legendaries? 3 map completion = 6 legendaries, and there’s a decent number of people who want more than 6 tier ones, forget about tier twos.

Posted by: Paralux.6714

Paralux.6714

That would ruin the fun of making different characters, because the point of that is that they’re all unique and it would be so boring to create a character whom in some magical way already had explored the whole world of Tyria. Stop being so lazy.

m e s m e r <3

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I agree with the OP at least somewhat. Unlocking the map repeatedly is a boring chore.

The fix I suggest: At level 80 areas and WP should all become account bound. That leaves a ton of stuff for you to do for map completion and world completion. You still have to get all the hearts, POI’s, and vistas.

Please implement this.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I agree with the OP at least somewhat. Unlocking the map repeatedly is a boring chore.

The fix I suggest: At level 80 areas and WP should all become account bound. That leaves a ton of stuff for you to do for map completion and world completion. You still have to get all the hearts, POI’s, and vistas.

Please implement this.

Please don’t implement this. Not unless completely optional. That’s the maps I do first on my level 80s for the exotics and other items.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Please implement this.

And miss out on a crap ton of xp.

1 waypoint = ~2.625% of character level.
A normal zone typically has between 10 and 20 waypoints.
At 80, one ‘level’ is 254000xp. That’s roughly 6600xp per waypoint. Assuming a map with the max 20 WPs, lets say you get half of them while leveling and the other half after you hit 80. That’s 66k xp towards a mastery line (10*6600).

Considering you need 12,700,000 xp for the legendary mastery line alone….. Yeah, no. I’ll take that xp tyvm.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: coso.9173

coso.9173

The reason I want(ed) to do World Complete is simple: I want(ed) to be able to say I did it. It’s the completionist in me. .

I don’t get it. so the completitionist in you wants to be given something without actually completing it? makes no sense to me…

SHM.7628

Please implement this.

Please don’t implement this. Not unless completely optional. That’s the maps I do first on my level 80s for the exotics and other items.

I’m not sure how this would opened waypoints would adversely effect your loot. Perhaps you misunderstood? When You ding level 80, the waypoints would open up that you opened up account wide would open up for that toon. Just the waypoints and are maps.

I’ll say this, I have no problem with it being optional.

SHM.7628

Please implement this.

At 80, one ‘level’ is 254000xp. That’s roughly 6600xp per waypoint. Assuming a map with the max 20 WPs, lets say you get half of them while leveling and the other half after you hit 80. That’s 66k xp towards a mastery line (10*6600).

Considering you need 12,700,000 xp for the legendary mastery line alone….. Yeah, no. I’ll take that xp tyvm.

making it an option works for me. Anyway, you’re not considering the time involved. While you’re mindlessly getting waypoints you can use the time to get as much or more XP from other sources.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Please implement this.

I’m not sure how this would opened waypoints would adversely effect your loot. Perhaps you misunderstood? When You ding level 80, the waypoints would open up that you opened up account wide would open up for that toon. Just the waypoints and are maps.

If they give you the waypoints then the trade off should be that you won’t get map completion, and the map completion rewards, which is what I’m talking about.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Emelyn.8729

Emelyn.8729

Ok, how about this:

Character A completes the map the old-fashioned way. Player is then given the option, on a per-character basis, to PAY (either with in-game currency or with real money) to open either all waypoints or only vital waypoints. If Player takes this option, Player forfeits all benefits and rewards afforded by World Completion for that specific character.

Now, let’s go back to my personal bugaboo: in my opinion, vistas should be divorced from World Completion. As I’ve mentioned, I hate them with a red-hot passion. There is a reason I DO NOT DO jumping puzzles (and thus will never get the benefits/rewards and I’m ok with that). It really chaps my hide that there are some vistas that are reachable ONLY by jumping (in some cases, by multiple bouts of jumping). If I want to do World Complete, these blasted jumping puzzles are mandatory. I think that’s an absolute disgrace. It is vistas that will keep me from ever doing a second World Complete. It is vistas that will probably keep me from accomplishing my first World Complete.

Have I mentioned how much I despise jumping in GW2?

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Please implement this.

making it an option works for me. Anyway, you’re not considering the time involved. While you’re mindlessly getting waypoints you can use the time to get as much or more XP from other sources.

The problem with that assumption is that you’re not doing anything else while getting those waypoints. Which, for a lot of us, is highly unlikely.

I have no issue with their being some means of opting in to having the WPs unlocked (and losing out on things like xp they would have given and map completion), but I feel that more should be necessary than just merely having a lvl 80 on your account, considering you can achieve that in a matter of hours.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

SHM.7628

Please implement this.

If they give you the waypoints then the trade off should be that you won’t get map completion, and the map completion rewards, which is what I’m talking about.

Your logic escapes me. There’s 303 hearts, 652 POI’s and 226 vistas Why on earth should they punish you for just giving the previously opened waypoints?

coso.9173

you hating the vistas is not a solid argument enough for them not to count or map completition, vistas and POI should be the most important part of it.

SHM.7628

Please implement this.

The problem with that assumption is that you’re not doing anything else while getting those waypoints. Which, for a lot of us, is highly unlikely.

I have no issue with their being some means of opting in to having the WPs unlocked (and losing out on things like xp they would have given and map completion), but I feel that more should be necessary than just merely having a lvl 80 on your account, considering you can achieve that in a matter of hours.

Just having a level 80? That wasn’t what i said. I never suggested that at level 80 every WP should magically open up.

I said once your toon dings 80 you get the waypoints that you already opened at least once. If you never opened a waypoint = its locked.

coso.9173

why do you guys want WPs unlocked? if you just need the important ones for each map you can unlock them in a relatively short time. you don’t need ALL of them for anything.