Please, Think Before You Type!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Q:

When someone says/types something, do they consider only themselves, without any thought towards the words used or the people around to hear/see them?

Do you really think that person over there is a bundle of something? No? Why call them a f*******?

Judging your tone, you don’t really think that thing is merry, right? Okay, why call it g**?

Is that person you’re berating really a cigarette? Didn’t think so. And you’re calling him a f**, why?

Are you aware that the “f-word” is a meaning of sexual intercourse? Yet it seems to be the most popular way to express violent demeanor against someone. Why would something that is meant for pleasure, love, and reproduction used in such an ugly form against someone? Really, it shouldn’t be.

Many of those words that I self-censored above are becoming more and more social unacceptable to use. There needs to be a change within the gaming community -GW2’s community- to stop the use of those words. It’s not just about the words needing to be changed, but the attitude of the players in which the language extrudes from.

Instead of ….

“Our team is a bunch of losers. Y’all suck!”

Use…

“Shucks, better luck next time.”

Okay, so that does sound kind of a bit lame to some people. But, it’s not. It’s a positive spin on a negative situation. However, if a boiling point is reached there can be good alternatives to be used that are playful uses of lore within the game:….

“Skritthead!” -Being simple minded creatures, Skritt are not all that bright and considered a menace to others in Tyria. Basically a term for the absentminded.

“Son of Skritt!” -See above-

“Bookah” -This one is a term used mostly by Asura. It is a large, loud, bellowing, and dumb imaginary creature that they used to frighten their children. However, they do use the term to refer to those they view as inferior beings, which to them is almost everyone who is not an Asura.

“Kitten” -A bit of a play on from the forum censors for however long it’s been going on. Basically insert this key word as a replacement for any curse word you might be using in-game. ~Careful when using around Charr, as they get confused by this reference.

“Yak Dung” -Referenced towards the Dolyaks in WvW and the fecal matter which they produce.

Those are just a few creative and not-so-creative ones that can be used [only when that boiling point is reached]. Even then, try to do so in a non-aggressive tone so that as to not come off a some hate filled attacker.

Thank you for your time and help in making a better community to those around you.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Though you’ll probably end up getting trolled for expressing this…I’m glad you posted it.

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

ok………….

Posted by: Dedlaw.9130

Dedlaw.9130

Nice intentions behind the post, but it’s like trying to dry out a river with a teaspoon, and it’s only going to get worse.

We live in a society where basic moral values are being show less and less regard on almost a daily basis. I’d bet that for every 1 kid being taught manners and civility, at least a 100 have free reign to act as they please.

It’s even worse on online communities. The anonymity allows even the more civil people to express themselves in a crude way they normally would not in real-life. No repercussion means no boundaries.

Sure, different people will have different reasons for swearing. Some might do it to express their anger, others hear it daily from family/friends so it’s common-place for them. You even have the kids using it to be “cool” or to be rebellious. Whatever the reasons, it’s being more and more openly used, and the impression it creates with people is that it’s the norm.

Dedlaw – Fresh 80 Zerker Warrior
DODGE!!! – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvS6zMThiZU

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

The funny thing is that most people swear by using words for activities they often like doing a lot.

So when you think about it, using a certain term to diss off a player means you actually want to make love to that player.

Which, in a way, creeps me out, really…

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

Fully support your message OP.
Especially in a world where homophobia and discrimination vs LGBT people is still rampant, using these words as a curse word is not a trivial matter, and contributes to this hostile atmosphere.

Some thought provoking quote

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

I support your sentiment, though you are fighting a quixotian battle there. Decent people don´t behave like that, you won´t reach the rest.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

When people get upset they are in that emotion. When people are emotional, yep, they only care about themselves really. That’s how emotions work.

In the end people feel hurt about something and that makes them angry, makes them want someone else to pay for it. It’s very human.

Although I agree that we could use less of that, I do not share your suggestions to say shucks or son of a skritt. That doesn’t cover the anger people feel.

At the same time there are two sides to this. It’s not just what a person says, but also who everybody else responds to it. There’s a lot of nastiness that goes around on both sides of conflicts without actually using specific words.

It’s not easy to do and I’ve made my mistakes in it, but the truth is that whenever we feel emotions because we are upset or we read a post that upsets us, it really is better to ask questions instead of making statements.

Also by focusing on words we only talk about symptoms instead of causes. That will never work. People will just find other words. The real problem is not that someone said something offensive but what got them to that point.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Justdeifyme.9387

Justdeifyme.9387

I use swearing to show that I’m serious, in dungeons for example when people don’t listen to me. But I’m not insulting anyone directly of course, atleast not with swear words.

(edited by Justdeifyme.9387)

Posted by: Plunder.8195

Plunder.8195

I support your sentiment, though you are fighting a quixotian battle there. Decent people don´t behave like that, you won´t reach the rest.

It’s at least advisable to make sure that the message is clear and that this behaviour is not accepted. If nobody speaks up, event decent people will think this behaviour is acceptable. Even a guildy from me used these words regularly until I spoke up, he didn’t mean anything bad with it, it was somehow just “normal” for him.

Or in the words of an Australian Chief of army: “The standard you walk past is the standard you accept”

Some thought provoking quote

Posted by: An Oak Knob.1275

An Oak Knob.1275

Sounds like someone can’t handle the everyday swear words of people!

Look mein emotinal friend. Swear words are a means of expressing emotions, and swear words does that extremely well. And you will never be able to change the community or people from that.
You crying over it is a waste of time and you should just accept it and move on with your life.

Vayne.8563

Look mein emotinal friend. Swear words are a means of expressing emotions, and swear words does that extremely well. And you will never be able to change the community or people from that.
You crying over it is a waste of time and you should just accept it and move on with your life.

Except that it’s also against the TOS and you can get banned for using profanity in game, filter or no filter.

An Oak Knob.1275

Except that it’s also against the TOS and you can get banned for using profanity in game, filter or no filter.

Which noone cares about.
(I know I replied fast, but Im on the forums anyway.)

ThiBash.5634

Was that sentence really neccesary? Was the only way for you to convince the OP that he shouldn’t be troubled by insinuating that he’s a crybaby?

It’s true then, that swear words are the tools of the weak and feebleminded.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

ThiBash.5634

I agree and disagree. Sometimes it’s just simpler and easier to express yourself with swear words, a lot of people (especially us younger people) don’t want to spend minutes argueing with a person that we dislike and disagree with and that’s when ending a conversation with a couple of swear wordy sentences is easiest and fastest.

The problem is that most ‘young people’ as you call them, link winning an argument to ‘whomever shouts the most profane words at the highest volume’, while it should be about the best arguments. I appreciate you taking the time to adress me as you did just now, and those reading this can make up their own mind as to whose side they’re on.

And yes, I do believe he’s a crybaby. It’s just words please don’t take it so kitten seriously and especially not in a game!

Yet if you want him to listen to you, antagonizing him will be counterproductive. I think he’d be more likely to listen to your (likely well meant) advice without that last sentence.

Then again, I’m also at fault for doing the exact same thing to you. For which I apologize.

An Oak Knob.1275

I agree and disagree. Sometimes it’s just simpler and easier to express yourself with swear words, a lot of people (especially us younger people) don’t want to spend minutes argueing with a person that we dislike and disagree with and that’s when ending a conversation with a couple of swear wordy sentences is easiest and fastest.

The problem is that most ‘young people’ as you call them, link winning an argument to ‘whomever shouts the most profane words at the highest volume’, while it should be about the best arguments. I appreciate you taking the time to adress me as you did just now, and those reading this can make up their own mind as to whose side they’re on.

And yes, I do believe he’s a crybaby. It’s just words please don’t take it so kitten seriously and especially not in a game!

Yet if you want him to listen to you, antagonizing him will be counterproductive. I think he’d be more likely to listen to your (likely well meant) advice without that last sentence.

In the end it’s his choice to listen to me or not, no matter how many fine words I put into my sentence(s) and argument and opinion.
Why put effort in it when I can clearly express myself in a much shorter amount of time.

ThiBash.5634

In the end it’s his choice to listen to me or not, no matter how many fine words I put into my sentence(s) and argument and opinion.
Why put effort in it when I can clearly express myself in a much shorter amount of time.

So it wouldn’t matter to you wheter I asked you to stop playing loud music because my grandmother gets a headache, or if I asked you to stop because you’re a moron?

Posted by: Tiberius.3802

Tiberius.3802

Well, considering the fact that the TOS doesn’t take profanity lightly, it would be mature to simply abide by them.

It’s kind of ironic how the ones who are telling others that they’re immature or “cry babies” for trying to get rid of profanity, are the ones who can not follow simple rules or convey what they mean in a constructive manner, even. They’d rather use profanity as if that will somehow be ever so eloquent and people will somehow listen to you or show any kind of respect.

It’s quite easy, really. I’m sure most of us forum-goers have passed some form of an English class and can maintain to type what they mean in a coherent, non-threatening tone.

(edited by Tiberius.3802)

Posted by: Ameepa.6793

Ameepa.6793

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

ThiBash.5634

your father smelt of elderberries!

You mean to say father melted due to exposure of elderberries? You’re not helping the ‘swearing people aren’t idiots’ cause. :-)

An Oak Knob.1275

Well considering the fact that the TOS doesn’t take profanity lightly, it would be mature to simply abide by them.
It’s kind of ironic how the ones whom are telling others that they’re immature or “cry babies” for trying to get rid of profanity, are the ones who can not follow simple rules or convey what they mean in a constructive manner, even. They’d rather use profanity as if that will somehow be ever so eloquent and people will somehow listen to you or show any kind of respect.

It’s your choice to listen to me or not, and my choice to try to win over the audience and right now I don’t give a kitten if the forum audience thinks I am right or wrong. My opinion stays my own opinion, and I express it however I want it.

Tiberius.3802

Well considering the fact that the TOS doesn’t take profanity lightly, it would be mature to simply abide by them.
It’s kind of ironic how the ones whom are telling others that they’re immature or “cry babies” for trying to get rid of profanity, are the ones who can not follow simple rules or convey what they mean in a constructive manner, even. They’d rather use profanity as if that will somehow be ever so eloquent and people will somehow listen to you or show any kind of respect.

It’s your choice to listen to me or not, and my choice to try to win over the audience and right now I don’t give a kitten if the forum audience thinks I am right or wrong. My opinion stays my own opinion, and I express it however I want it.

Seeing as it’s not a matter of choosing whether to use profanity or not, but an actual rule in the TOS, you really should care.

(edited by Tiberius.3802)

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

“Our team is a bunch of losers. Y’all suck!”

Use…

“Shucks, better luck next time.”

I loled far more than I should have at this.

An Oak Knob.1275

Seeing as it’s not a matter of choosing whether to use profanity or not, but an actual rule in the TOS, you really should care.

Seeing swear words as an offense is in my opinion a personal preference.
I don’t take swear swords seriously, but Anet put it there in TOS just to satisfy the kind of you people who are indeed emotional towards it.
However everything else in the TOS regarding racism or hacking/glitching the game in order to gain a clear advantage – I do think is good reasons for a temporariy ban or a slap on the wrist or two.

Tiberius.3802

Seeing swear words as an offense is in my opinion a personal preference.
I don’t take swear swords seriously, but Anet put it there in TOS just to satisfy the kind of you people who are indeed emotional towards it.
However everything else in the TOS regarding racism or hacking/glitching the game in order to gain a clear advantage – I do think is good reasons for a temporariy ban or a slap on the wrist or two.

I really hope you’re trolling.

ThiBash.5634

The main issue here is that you ‘think’ swear words don’t hurt. However, to some people they do. And while you may find them sad, or even think it’s funny that you can affect them as much by just using those words…

…how many children have commited suïcide because they’ve been verbally harassed for years on end by their peers?

Then again, you probably don’t consider this to be real. To you, they’re just candy and whomever hangs themselves because your words gave them the last push are just crybabies…

Vayne.8563

Which noone cares about.
(I know I replied fast, but Im on the forums anyway.)

By no one I assume you mean you and people who think like you, because some people do care. Even just people who don’t want to be banned would care, no?

Tolmos.8395

OOOOO You said a bad word! I’m telling the teacher on you!

Ahh, this is why I love GW2 forums. Gives me nostalgia of 1st-3rd grade.

Almost makes me want to follow them around in game going “tattle-tale! tattle-tale!” =D

Oh GW2 forums. <3 you so, and your immaturity. You bring out the best in me =D

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

ThiBash.5634

You call what happened to you in january this year ‘nostalgia’ already? Kids…

Tolmos.8395

You call what happened to you in january this year ‘nostalgia’ already? Kids…

Attachments:

An Oak Knob.1275

The main issue here is that you ‘think’ swear words don’t hurt. However, to some people they do. And while you may find them sad, or even think it’s funny that you can affect them as much by just using those words…

…how many children have commited suïcide because they’ve been verbally harassed for years on end by their peers?

Then again, you probably don’t consider this to be real. To you, they’re just candy and whomever hangs themselves because your words gave them the last push are just crybabies…

Oh my kittening god, holy kitten!
Are you seriously bringing kids who have suecided into this whole thread?
SERIOUSLY?
Jesus christ I am almost done with with this thread. You people NEED to stop takeing swear words so kitten seriously.
inb4 I receive another moderators infraction point for expressing my freedom of speeche! Yeeehaaaw!

(edited by An Oak Knob.1275)

Tiberius.3802

Lol @ this “freedom of speech” that nobody is excluding you from.
Please acquire some human decency, and join the rest of us.

ThiBash.5634

SERIOUSLY?
Jesus christ I am done with with this thread. You people NEED to stop takeing swear words so kitten seriously.
inb4 I receive another moderators infraction point for expressing my freedom of speeche! Yeeehaaaw!

You have my sympathy.

An Oak Knob.1275

Lol @ this “freedom of speech” that nobody is excluding you from.
Please acquire some human decency, and join the rest of us.

One of my better replies in this thread got deleted by a moderator because I clearly said what I thought of the OP in the end sentence.
The moderator then went “You are being mean to him, your reply has been deleted and have this infraction point.”

TL;DR MA FREEDOME!!!!!!

ThiBash.5634

I am done with with this thread.

And yet you’re coming back to reply after writing that. Clearly our words are affecting you in some way, or you wouldn’t keep replying. Thus you’ve actually proven my point that you should be careful what you say.

“You’re the weakest link, thank you for playing, bye-bye!”

Tolmos.8395

SERIOUSLY?
Jesus christ I am done with with this thread. You people NEED to stop takeing swear words so kitten seriously.

Welcome to the internet, where everything (like politics) is about “THE CHILDREN! THE CHIIIIIIILDDREEEEEEEN!!!!1!!!”

ThiBash.5634

I knew I should have opted for people instead of children…want me to fix it?

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

I wrote a long post and the site crashed on me … O.o

Anyway, I’ll make it shorter. I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment behind the OP. However, I think it’s much more complicated than you make it seem. For instance, what makes a word offensive doesn’t tend to be the word itself. No word is inherently offensive – it’s the context and intent behind its use that makes it so.

Therefore, substituting “bookah” in place of another swear/curse word doesn’t do anything except superficially change the word. In terms of context, in the world of Tyria the asura use that term offensively to describe others they consider inferior to them. That is offensive. If we simply decided to say “bookah” instead of "f****er*, the implied intent and context is still enough to cause offense and I don’t think it would avoid doing so necessarily.

Also, people have very different opinions on what causes offense. Someone may not find constant swearing offensive, whereas someone else does. Also tone is hard to convey in text, not to mention language barriers etc. While intent is sometimes obvious, sometimes use of language is not.

I completely agree that people could certainly learn to think a little before they type, but I do not think it’s a simple as the OP makes it seem.

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

You must always call people out for saying racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic etc stuff. However, this isn’t enough. This is not a problem of the gaming community in isolation but of a society that is fundamentally racist and patriarchal.

Offense is one thing, reinforcing oppression is another.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

SERIOUSLY?

You realize the rating on this game is T right? That means it’s for kids from 13+… I wouldn’t want my 13 year old exposed to some of the language here. People take swear words seriously because they are offensive, rude and often don’t want the youngest of our community to be exposed to that. To overlook this and assume that everyone is just being too sensitive is a little childish, try to think of everyone in the community not just a few you may know.

I’d also like to say I agree with a lot of what was said here as well, and that people really should try to relax a little while playing the game… You don’t need to flip out because you lose a tpvp match, your team most likely did the best they could.. your party probably did the best they could in that dungeon etc etc… Getting hostile about a loss or a failure does not help you grow as a person and certainly doesn’t help whoever you were playing with (they probably feel as bad as you do for the loss or failure). Instead try to be positive and inspire those around you to do the same to help build a better community.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I’m going to agree with Dedlaw for the most part. Society as a whole is simply circling the drain. Common sense, ethics, morals, basic virtues such as patience and understanding and so on, are all being forgotten, downplayed in their importance, etc. People just don’t care anymore. Oh, when something happens, we put on a big show about how much we care, but we really don’kittens sad, but its true.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Tolmos.8395

SERIOUSLY?

You realize the rating on this game is T right? That means it’s for kids from 13+… I wouldn’t want my 13 year old exposed to some of the language here. People take swear words seriously because they are offensive, rude and often don’t want the youngest of our community to be exposed to that. To overlook this and assume that everyone is just being too sensitive is a little childish, try to think of everyone in the community not just a few you may know.

I’d also like to say I agree with a lot of what was said here as well, and that people really should try to relax a little while playing the game… You don’t need to flip out because you lose a tpvp match, your team most likely did the best they could.. your party probably did the best they could in that dungeon etc etc… Getting hostile about a loss or a failure does not help you grow as a person and certainly doesn’t help whoever you were playing with (they probably feel as bad as you do for the loss or failure). Instead try to be positive and inspire those around you to do the same to help build a better community.

Better not let that 13 year old watch cable television.

And definitely don’t let them go to school- far worse language used by students in the classrooms.

In fact, keep them indoors entirely. That’s the best way to keep them safe from the “bad words”

An Oak Knob.1275

SERIOUSLY?

And definitely don’t let them go to school- far worse language used by students in the classrooms.

In fact, keep them indoors entirely. That’s the best way to keep them safe from the “bad words”

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

Vayne.8563

Almost makes me want to follow them around in game going “tattle-tale! tattle-tale!” =D

Not sure this occurred to you, but very often the people most offended by such language are older, not younger. Different people grew up with different cultural standards.

If you think it’s okay to curse because it doesn’t offend you, well there’s not much I can say to that. But I think you’ll find that most of the people here arguing against freely used profanity are adults.

Vayne.8563

SERIOUSLY?

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

I don’t think this has anything to do with teens. I think this has to do with social mores and customs. People have widely different upbringings. Why would you feel the need or desire to curse if you knew it made others uncomfortable? Is cursing so important that you’d rather support your right to curse than be conscious of someone else’s sensitivities?

We all react differently to things. What offends one may not offend another. But if we are a community, then we should have at least a modicum of respect for others.

Tolmos.8395

Not sure this occurred to you, but very often the people most offended by such language are older, not younger. Different people grew up with different cultural standards.

If you think it’s okay to curse because it doesn’t offend you, well there’s not much I can say to that. But I think you’ll find that most of the people here arguing against freely used profanity are adults.

Over the years I’ve come to realize that age does not immediately exclude one from being immature.

I cannot be held accountable for someone else being overly sensitive. I’m sorry, but there are people who can so easily be offended that you could never appease them. This game openly states in its T rating that profane language is to be expected. Someone who comes into this game, sees profane language, and becomes “outraged” gets no sympathy from me.

This doesn’t include direct attacks, however. The T rating says nothing about harassment. But if the only issue is the language, then the problem is neither with the game nor the person who said the “bad words”. It’s as simple as that.

Posted by: CrossedHorse.4261

CrossedHorse.4261

Over the years I’ve come to realize that age does not immediately exclude one from being immature.

I cannot be held accountable for someone else being overly sensitive. I’m sorry, but there are people who can so easily be offended that you could never appease them. This game openly states in its T rating that profane language is to be expected. Someone who comes into this game, sees profane language, and becomes “outraged” gets no sympathy from me.

This doesn’t include direct attacks, however. The T rating says nothing about harassment. But if the only issue is the language, then the problem is neither with the game nor the person who said the “bad words”. It’s as simple as that.

I don’t think anyone is holding you accountable for someone else being overly sensitive. Having an objection to an over abundance of profanity isn’t being overly sensitive. It’s all a matter of perspective and, as Vayne said, social mores. I swear liberally in casual conversation, and other people swearing doesn’t bother me. Someone who can only say a sentence when every other word is a swear word is, however, annoying, and I can see why other people who dislike swearing would find it unnecessary and offensive.

I think we should all try and respect other people. And yes, that includes people who are offended by swearing occasionally leaving it alone and not reporting someone for swearing once if the occasion called for it. On the other hand, it also includes people not calling other people overly sensitive for objecting to a lot of profanity.

Your point comes across a lot better when not punctuated by swear words – maybe that’s a better reason for people to swear less? I don’t know. Generally, if it’s something that I know offends someone in my party but it’s not exactly offending me to NOT swear, I’ll make every effort to respect that person and not do it. Equally, they shouldn’t expect me to apologise every time a curse slips out as is bound to happen.

Respect goes both ways.

Vayne.8563

I curse a lot in real life too, around people I know it doesn’t bother. In fact, I think language is a tool and that those words have a very definite purpose…but not everywhere and not in front of everyone.

It’s just common courtesy.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

SERIOUSLY?

I think there’s a slight difference when the profanity is being directed at you instead of just being viewed. So it’s not as bad on cable television, although even there ratings do keep some things off the air.

In schools, sure, you can’t really keep things from happening. I’m not trying to say that I need to protect my kids from “bad words”, that’s like saying you want to protect them from life… stuff happens.

This is detracting a bit from the point I think, if it makes you feel any better I’m sorry I mentioned the rating. I really just think that as a whole it would be better for the community if people were a little more positive.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I think part of the problem is that a lot of people think it is “cool” to curse regularly in discussions with others. There really isn’t anything cool about it. In fact when I see or hear people doing this I feel that they are lacking in self-restraint. I will admit I too was that way at one time in my life. I didn’t necessarily think it was cool but I struggled with controlling it which I will explain.

I used to curse a lot and part of that was due to a certain environment I was in where it was very common and part of the dialect for lack of a better term. In some situations cursing was extremely excessive and certain words were often used multiple times in the same sentence. After a short time being exposed to this “dialect” I picked it up as well without really intending to. That is rather common for most people after being exposed to a certain dialect over a period of time.

After I was no longer a part of that culture I had a hard time with the transition. I recall reuniting with my family for the first time in over a year and the embarrassment I experienced when I let certain words slip out. Fortunately they were understanding and over time I learned to adjust to being in a new environment where excessive cursing wasn’t as acceptable.

To date I still curse at times but usually to myself and in some situations where I am with a certain circle and some level of cursing is acceptable. Sunday NFL games anyone? In game chat there are many times I think of a curse word but I’m simply am able to filter myself and replace a word that is not acceptable with one that is and still conveys what I am trying to say.

tl;dr There isn’t really thing cool about cursing in public and IMO excessive cursing in game gives me the impression that the person is lacking in self-restraint.

The Burninator