Please add Tengu, and here is why

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thornwolf.9721

Thornwolf.9721

I know that I have brought this topic up again and again, but I Feel like I have collected a solid basis and a foundation for this request. To start off with for me at least,I started the game when I was twelve with factions. I have grown up in guild wars and have been here ever since, but the one race who always stood out to me was the Tengu. Talon silver-wing was a freaking bamf, Saved me so many times when I was starting out. And Slowly but surely I fell in love with his race, and the culture of his race. I have never been a big fan of asuran, humans or sylvari and I only liked the norn when they could shape-shift. So that left me with the Charr when guild wars 2 came out and I Was somewhat saddened to see I could not play as a tengu. Mainly because I feel like they are so alien to what is the norm, kind of like the charr. They are a Avian humanoid race which has never been playable in any game, with guild wars trying to be different it sure sounds like it would be a good addition. To top that off they have a rich lore and background which makes them perfect candidates, we know tons about them which makes a solid foundation. With the Tengu accords and the Winds of change being a playable thing in guild wars 1, it sure seemed like they were set up to be a addition to our roster.

Now coming to the most important part, I would pay an absurd amount without much care even if it meant I had to suffer for a while to play this race. I know it sounds stupid, really stupid. But I love them so kitten much and It’s a shame that I cant enjoy the game AS MUCH as I could if I was able to main one, that sounds dumb but its true. To me Cosmetics are part of the whole getting rooted in a MMO, I dont often stay if I cant be something thats not human and looks pretty cool. If the armor looks like crap I wont stay, so guild wars 2 has a good hook in me. But its just not as deep as it would be if I could just be what I wana be, their models are beautiful. Im sure there are many others who would pay a decent price for them, even though this thread is going to be bombarded with hate comments.

With that said though Id like to remind people that those of us who post on the forums are NOT the main voice of the community but a facet of our community. Alot of people dont bother with the forums, they just play the game. I know that people would be inclined to buy a expansion if a new race was in it, probably more so than with mounts or even gliding. A new race adds a new flavor and a new feel even if it is in the animation and cosmetic department alone, those can make huge differences. A prime example is when you compare a Charr warrior to and Asuran warrior. The asuran are like little yoda’s leaping all over the place, while the charr are just bestial with their weapons. Between the twos animations you could easily see why someone would make one of each using the same class.

Another key factor is that people would be inclined to buy Character slots, and make more characters just for many of the reasons listed above. Im sure many would re-roll ults/mains and some would just get enough slots to make one of each class on tengu. (or whatever race it is) And yes I am partial to tengu because from a lore junky standpoint they are the most ready, and well prepared. But I would not be apposed to other races, as long as they got a bit more flushed out than they currently are. This picture below is what got me thinking about this, Id love to be able to make this guy and rock nevermore/any of the legendary’s. They have been here since GW1 and are just as kitten as the other races, they deserve to be here in this light. So Anet if your reading know I would happily buy a whole expansion, regardless of whatever just for this.

https://thalbachin.deviantart.com/art/P-Hou-Swiftshadow-618688581

Posted by: KryTiKaL.3125

KryTiKaL.3125

I know that I have brought this topic up again and again, but I Feel like I have collected a solid basis and a foundation for this request. To start off with for me at least,I started the game when I was twelve with factions. I have grown up in guild wars and have been here ever since, but the one race who always stood out to me was the Tengu. Talon silver-wing was a freaking bamf, Saved me so many times when I was starting out. And Slowly but surely I fell in love with his race, and the culture of his race. I have never been a big fan of asuran, humans or sylvari and I only liked the norn when they could shape-shift. So that left me with the Charr when guild wars 2 came out and I Was somewhat saddened to see I could not play as a tengu. Mainly because I feel like they are so alien to what is the norm, kind of like the charr. They are a Avian humanoid race which has never been playable in any game, with guild wars trying to be different it sure sounds like it would be a good addition. To top that off they have a rich lore and background which makes them perfect candidates, we know tons about them which makes a solid foundation. With the Tengu accords and the Winds of change being a playable thing in guild wars 1, it sure seemed like they were set up to be a addition to our roster.

Now coming to the most important part, I would pay an absurd amount without much care even if it meant I had to suffer for a while to play this race. I know it sounds stupid, really stupid. But I love them so kitten much and It’s a shame that I cant enjoy the game AS MUCH as I could if I was able to main one, that sounds dumb but its true. To me Cosmetics are part of the whole getting rooted in a MMO, I dont often stay if I cant be something thats not human and looks pretty cool. If the armor looks like crap I wont stay, so guild wars 2 has a good hook in me. But its just not as deep as it would be if I could just be what I wana be, their models are beautiful. Im sure there are many others who would pay a decent price for them, even though this thread is going to be bombarded with hate comments.

With that said though Id like to remind people that those of us who post on the forums are NOT the main voice of the community but a facet of our community. Alot of people dont bother with the forums, they just play the game. I know that people would be inclined to buy a expansion if a new race was in it, probably more so than with mounts or even gliding. A new race adds a new flavor and a new feel even if it is in the animation and cosmetic department alone, those can make huge differences. A prime example is when you compare a Charr warrior to and Asuran warrior. The asuran are like little yoda’s leaping all over the place, while the charr are just bestial with their weapons. Between the twos animations you could easily see why someone would make one of each using the same class.

Another key factor is that people would be inclined to buy Character slots, and make more characters just for many of the reasons listed above. Im sure many would re-roll ults/mains and some would just get enough slots to make one of each class on tengu. (or whatever race it is) And yes I am partial to tengu because from a lore junky standpoint they are the most ready, and well prepared. But I would not be apposed to other races, as long as they got a bit more flushed out than they currently are. This picture below is what got me thinking about this, Id love to be able to make this guy and rock nevermore/any of the legendary’s. They have been here since GW1 and are just as kitten as the other races, they deserve to be here in this light. So Anet if your reading know I would happily buy a whole expansion, regardless of whatever just for this.

Here is why they haven’t added Tengu as a playable race:

It hasn’t fit into the narrative.

Maybe some day it will, maybe some day they will add Tengu as a race. Maybe they won’t. Continuously calling for it is not going to change the fact that unless it fits within the narrative of the story they are telling in the world they created then they are not going to pull a justification for it out of thin air.

When, or if, they feel it is justified and appropriate to include the Tengo as a playable race then they will. Until then…stop.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

The value of dev time needed to make a new race work would probably vastly outweigh the actual value added to the game. They’d have to do models, voice acting, story integration (backwards too), make sure all the armor works… and in return all we’d get is a bit more cosmetic variety. Would be nice if they had infinite resources, but if it’s a question of Tengu or Mounts? – I’ll pick mounts.

Tengu are cool though, I wouldn’t mind seeing them play a bigger role in the story at some point.

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

They have to run a cost/benefit analysis.

Is it worth it financially to retool the entire GW2 line to add a new playable race? How many man-hours are involved in doing voice-overs for how each NPC will talk to the Tengu? Will the people buying additional character slots and Gem Store add-ons offset that cost?

What do programmers average per hour? How many hours would it take to think up the dialog from the beginning to current story-line? What do voice-actors cost? And the many other costs that I have no idea about.

If it were an easy fit into the current story I’m sure they would have rolled it out with the latest expansion.

Gaming is a business and businesses need to make money.

Thornwolf.9721

Your both wrong, for one the models are done go to your guild hall.
Two they added level eighty boosters so letting it come out at level 80 is already there, there is no point in leveling anymore. They would need a city which they have and they also have a strong reason to get involved, considering the world is at stake. I dont honestly like mounts, never have and it was not why I bought the expansion.

The narrative really has no reason as to why the race is not involved, due to this looming end of the world thing going on so thats not valid. The work the devs would have too do? Make HoT optional with generic lines of text and then make the expansion they come in be where they get introduced, and roped in. The base games story does not need any touches, dont even makes us go through it as they would start at 80.

I will never stop fighting for what I want to see, Mounts were never going to happen until the community pushed for it hard enough. This is no different and the fact that every-time someone asks, the COMMUNITY shuts it down is appalling. The next expansion wont sell very well if they have nothing to use to out-do mounts.

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

Mounts were never going to happen until the community pushed for it hard enough.

Two false assumptions there. You’re assuming that Anet had crossed off mounts from GW2 because Anet thought <insert your unstated reason for Anet to cross them off>. You then assume that it was community pressure that made them change their minds. Here’s a clip which adds more details on that decision: https://youtu.be/cZBW9eGriD8?t=123

G R E E N E R

Thornwolf.9721

They said when the game launched that they would never do mounts, and the game itself was built to not need mounts. This changed over time but it remains true, the new maps will have mounts be required which is fine but core tyria does not and never did need mounts.

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

At that point they could just add a tengu outfit or transmog potion.

Thornwolf.9721

At that point they could just add a tengu outfit or transmog potion.

That would be horrible, and unforgivable.

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

… because armor isn’t buggy enough on Charr and Asura yet. We need more races with weird body shapes.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Thornwolf.9721

… because armor isn’t buggy enough on Charr and Asura yet. We need more races with weird body shapes.

the new tengu models are closer to humans and stand straight, The clipping would probably be less bad but still there. But at this point I dont really think its as bad, and dont really care anymore. the new armor that comes out trys hard to resolve alot of the issues on all the races.

Posted by: Game of Bones.8975

Game of Bones.8975

All of my character slots are filled up and I don’t have a max level booster: therefore I HAVE TO level any new characters starting from LVL 1. So that refutes your “not needing to level a character claim.”

Let’s say a new race is introduced in a future expansion. Every NPC who has a specialized racial reaction will have to have a new voice for interacting with my character across the entire “Known World.”

Modes of transportation are not race specific. Gliding for a Norn isn’t different than for a Sylvari or human. The size of the mounts may differ for Norn and Asura, but so do the sizes of greatswords and longbows.

I appreciate your enthusiasm in wanting a new race, especially the Tengu, but any introduced race has to; fit the story, be able to take on any of the current (and projected) professions, be able to “realistically” survive in any of the world environments, and have enough of a fan base to justify it.

I would like to see a demon-touched race or dragon-born race or something of the like.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

They said when the game launched that they would never do mounts, and the game itself was built to not need mounts. This changed over time but it remains true, the new maps will have mounts be required which is fine but core tyria does not and never did need mounts.

This is not a true statement. Before launch, the Devs stated that Mounts would not be included at launch. They did not state, never, nor really spoke to it, again.

(Unfortunately, the interview site page’s link no longer works. http://guildwars2.cz/otazky-odpovedi-pro-guildwars2-cz/2/)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Here’s a reason: $90 in character slots.
Gimme.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Tengu? Seriously? Nah… Dwarves making a comeback, and becoming a playable race, makes way more sense for the xpac.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Tengu? Seriously? Nah… Dwarves making a comeback, and becoming a playable race, makes way more sense for the xpac.

I wouldn’t say no to making one.
I’ll name him Rocky. And when he dies from falling damage, he better break into pieces.
And instead of rubbing, resurrection should involve putting together his puzzle parts.
:)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Kingkiller.9645

Kingkiller.9645

I really want Tengu, honestly.

Anet was always planning on adding in new races. I’m frankly surprised we haven’t gotten them yet. It’s pretty likely we will for the next expansion.
They said they would never add mounts, and now they are. The Tengu are just a matter of time.

I’m not a hero. Heroes are not meant to survive, and I’ve lived far too long for that.

Kingkiller.9645

Dwarves have no lore to support that return. They’re basically gone. On the other hand, we KNOW that the Tengu will help fight the Elder Dragons. That’s confirmed.

I’m not a hero. Heroes are not meant to survive, and I’ve lived far too long for that.

Kingkiller.9645

You are pretty much asking them to half ass it by making a new race that’s cut off from like 70% percent of game content. That wouldn’t fly.

Like it or not, the current story is a direct continuation of the base game personal story. If tengu characters just come in after their own tutorial – why is everyone referring to them as the pact commander and saying they defeated Zhaitan if they didn’t? Or if you give them an alternative origin story – they would have to write all future content with this in mind, or keep plotting future expansions twice, once for tengu origin characters and once for everyone else.

Wouldn’t be that much different. The player has already left the Pact. Having an episode or so dedicated to an origin story and a couple modified voice lines wouldn’t be that difficult.

Posted by: Sojourner.4621

Sojourner.4621

Your both wrong, for one the models are done go to your guild hall.
Two they added level eighty boosters so letting it come out at level 80 is already there, there is no point in leveling anymore. They would need a city which they have and they also have a strong reason to get involved, considering the world is at stake. I dont honestly like mounts, never have and it was not why I bought the expansion.

The narrative really has no reason as to why the race is not involved, due to this looming end of the world thing going on so thats not valid. The work the devs would have too do? Make HoT optional with generic lines of text and then make the expansion they come in be where they get introduced, and roped in. The base games story does not need any touches, dont even makes us go through it as they would start at 80.

I will never stop fighting for what I want to see, Mounts were never going to happen until the community pushed for it hard enough. This is no different and the fact that every-time someone asks, the COMMUNITY shuts it down is appalling. The next expansion wont sell very well if they have nothing to use to out-do mounts.

The model for the race is there, but it is a set model with a set skin, and is an impropper skeleton with limited animations. Beyond that, the fitting of the literally thousands of armor pieces that are in the game TO that model would take a lot of time, effort, and money. This at its most basic level is why they don’t even like releasing new armor sets, let alone having to retool 100% of the existing ones. “But they are releasing four new armor sets with PoF” Actually they are releasing 3 and 1/4 new armor sets, as one is just a slightly more textured version of another. Not saying its impossible, but they have to know for sure that the insane amount of time that it would take to fix JUST these problems, not even mentioning voice actor costs and zones required, would equal a certain amount of profit for investment.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Dwarves have no lore to support that return. They’re basically gone. On the other hand, we KNOW that the Tengu will help fight the Elder Dragons. That’s confirmed.

No no, they still exist. They fight the minions of Primordus… There are a ton of plausible ways to bring them back and make them a playable race. Also, Dwarves are an elder race so who’s to say there aren’t any other clans hiding out in Tyria?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Teratus.2859

Teratus.2859

Unless they add an entirely new region with an individual story like GW1 Factions or Nightfall were then this is never going to happen.

I love Tengu too but adding in any new playable race to the main story this late into it would be a total cluster…. I need not finish that word..

What you’re asking for and what I’ve asked for myself just isn’t going to work for Gw2.. sorry but that’s just how it is..

Now what we could argue for is Tengu being more involved with the story.. take us to their home city sometime.. have one of them join Dragon’s Watch as a main support character like Rytlock and Taimi etc
This would be fantastic to have.

Posted by: ElectricGoat.8253

ElectricGoat.8253

How do you know the Tengu even want to bother interacting with the other races? So far the Tengu have done the right thing and isolated themselves from all the madness going on. A few tengu manage to trade.

Tengu are protective of their culture and allowing outsiders into their city would start to damage their culture.

The Tengu don’t want anything to do with us, with what you’re peddling, or with you entering their homelands.

According to the Wiki one of the first contacts with humans lead to their chicks acquiring foreign diseases and the tengu had to kill their own young, causing hatred for the humans.

One could assume they hate races allied with the humans, maybe the norns and assura, but they probably view the charr favorably.

Charr could probably make some sort of friendly advance.

Posted by: Codes.6870

Codes.6870

Tengus have no use for gliders! Still awesome to see a flock of Tengus flying.

Posted by: Chucklet.7290

Chucklet.7290

If you really want Tengu, its easy to argue why and how. We already know where the capital is, they have always been in GW (existing lore), and they are -ofc that is my opinion, and I am totally biased- the best race that should be made playable amongst the beastly races like skritt, frogs, tengu, etc.
Could really do with a third one too, amongst the asura and charr, since the other three are just human, larger human, and humans with leaves on them. Balance, 3on3.
And since some people go crazy batkitten over a new armor set from the gem shop, why not go crazy batkitten over a new race. Personally I’d buy the a Tengu Xpac without question.

Same goes for the people saying it cant/wont be done. Yes, it will take time, yes it will cost them money, and yes, it currently doesnt fit into ‘the greater scheme of things’.
However, as a game developing company it really isnt all that hard finding a new voiceactor or get the old ones’ to fill in missing lines. Fitting the armor is really not that hard but just takes a little effort from a small team (fairly easy compared to creating entirely new stuff). Lorewise, surely their storywriters can think of something? More split factions, rogue leaders or tipping points have made stuff happen, tadaa. It isn’t rocketscience.
But yeah, time spent=money spent (and gained perhaps?), it would interfere with their set plans, half the playerbase seems not even remotely interested… One could argue on forever.

Still, since we now get to have mounts, not unlike other games * coughWoWcough*… Well, those games eventually added new races, I dont see why GW wouldnt do that later on as well. Obviously not with this expansion, but soon™?

I actually have two character slots filled with name-placeholders for if/when tengu arrive as a playable race. Syr Swagfeathers and Ryn Wickedwing already walk among us, albeit as level 10 human key farmers.

One can always hope.

Kittens :3

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Tengus have no use for gliders! Still awesome to see a flock of Tengus flying.

There’s a Tengu NPC in Caledon that states that he/they cannot fly.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Havok.6073

Havok.6073

I don’t see the appeal in playing the Tengu. Of all the races in Tyria they are quite uninteresting. The Skritt, on the other hand…are a stroke of genius. A race of humanoid rats that increase their intelligence with congregation ??? BRILLIANT!

Posted by: Svartwolf.3729

Svartwolf.3729

Ugh, the true reason why we haven’t had another race join is not cause “it doesnt fit the story”, (Thats dumb as hell), but because the developers consider that the work/reward ratio isnt there…

If say Tengus or dwarves or quaggans are the new feature of xpac 3, be more than sure than the living story season 4 is going to make them made sense… Plus, right now what kind of sense does the norns make in the current story? they tried to made them made a little sense with jormag, and now that flew out right trough the window… It certainly doesnt mean that a net should delete all norn characters DX

And the retroactive story is already a mess , even if you dont play revenant. and is not like they couldnt patch it by simply stating “the following event are a reconstruction or events past, yadda yadda”

To be frank im a little tired of the pact commander, savior of tyria, honorary shining blade etc etc etc… storyline, so if the even get to reset that im happy with they adding any race for it, even a ridiculous one like Candy Corn golems.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Maybe some day it will, maybe some day they will add Tengu as a race. Maybe they won’t. Continuously calling for it is not going to change the fact that unless it fits within the narrative of the story they are telling in the world they created then they are not going to pull a justification for it out of thin air.

When, or if, they feel it is justified and appropriate to include the Tengo as a playable race then they will. Until then…stop.

I don’t care about the Tengu as a race and would not play one if they were introduced. However, if players stop agitating for the race to be added, there would be little incentive for ANet to add a justification to the story of the world.

I’m sure that some things get added to the game because the narrative requires them. I’m equally sure that a metric ton of stuff gets shoehorned into the narrative because the business’ primary goal is to make money, and satisfying player demand accomplishes that.

That said, I also believe that money and resources are a significant factor in the decision not to add. That would take the form of needing to mold new armor skins to a different frame, requiring another two (assuming male and female) voice actors to story making, etc. As a business, they’d have to believe that the return would justify the added expense.

Posted by: dragonkain.3984

dragonkain.3984

Well, the fact they never added a tonic kinda hints at possibility of them added being still there.

(edited by dragonkain.3984)

Thornwolf.9721

The reason tengu are appealing is because compared to the other races we have never really seen something like them in a game.

Skritt =skaven just less murder obessed

Kodan = pandaren

Largos = Dark elves

the list goes on and on, but the tengu are unique in the sense that they stand for “This is not the norm”. Which has been guild wars shtick this entire time, this is what they want. We need a third beast race, for those of us who cant stand playing humans because frankly being a human in a fantasy world is kind of boring.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

~snip~….because frankly being a human in a fantasy world is kind of boring.

Finally, something I can agree with!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Thornwolf.9721

Why be a human when you can be ANYTHING ELSE. The fact norn and sylvary are just different types of humans, norn=tall kinda dumb humans, sylvary = salad people.

Posted by: virus.4370

virus.4370

i started in factions and hated the tengu.. they think they are better then you, they are complete jack@****. they can’t be trusted hence they attacked you and unarmed people in LA. when LA was under attack..then attack you later in HoT..and have you forgotten the tengu wars of cantha..plus they would attack you in cantha, proph,eye of the north..anytime they seen you. they are racist..lol

Thornwolf.9721

i started in factions and hated the tengu.. they think they are better then you, they are complete jack@****. they can’t be trusted hence they attacked you and unarmed people in LA. when LA was under attack..then attack you later in HoT..and have you forgotten the tengu wars of cantha..plus they would attack you in cantha, proph,eye of the north..anytime they seen you. they are racist..lol

The canthans are kittens in general, and if you wana go into the fact of their hostile nature. That changed over time in the Winds of change which was apart of guild wars beyond. Asuran are evil little kitten’s and we tolerate them, and the charr hate everyone and think their race is superior.Have you ever even talked to a norn? They think they are better than EVERYTHING.

virus.4370

The canthans are kittens in general, and if you wana go into the fact of their hostile nature. That changed over time in the Winds of change which was apart of guild wars beyond. Asuran are evil little kitten’s and we tolerate them, and the charr hate everyone and think their race is superior.Have you ever even talked to a norn? They think they are better than EVERYTHING.

no they was hostile in gws 1before winds of change..and togo’s story..which was technically before gws 1.. and the asurans,charr,and norns at least tried to help with the dragons,la,the new areas..the tengu just killed unarmed people and sat behind their wall..lol was going to watch everyone die but them..they are worst then the White Mantle..at least the WM had a plan to kill the jungle dragon..they was trying to help.

Thornwolf.9721

no they was hostile in gws 1before winds of change..and togo’s story..which was technically before gws 1.. and the asurans,charr,and norns at least tried to help with the dragons,la,the new areas..the tengu just killed unarmed people and sat behind their wall..lol was going to watch everyone die but them..they are worst then the White Mantle..at least the WM had a plan to kill the jungle dragon..they was trying to help.

The tengu were intended to make an appearance in HoT and get involved, which means they might of joined the fight. The idea was scrapped, And the asuran, charr and even the norn were hostile in guild wars 1 too. So Again they would make a good playable race, they are pretty significant in the lore and they did change in Winds of Change and Accepted some sense of peaceful relations with humans and the other races.

virus.4370

i hated them in gws 1..i hate them in gws 2..and if we get gws 3..i will hate them in gws 3.. i don’t trust the one in my gh. they invite you for peace talks and attack..my only problem is the canthans didn’t finish the job.. i have a build made just to kill them…they made me their enemy in gws 1.

Thornwolf.9721

i hated them in gws 1..i hate them in gws 2..and if we get gws 3..i will hate them in gws 3.. i don’t trust the one in my gh. they invite you for peace talks and attack..my only problem is the canthans didn’t finish the job.. i have a build made just to kill them…they made me their enemy in gws 1.

Well I hate the humans and the Charr and especially the asuran, so you can hate the tengu all you want. The charr were enemies all the way through guild wars until eye of the north, the humans are self centered even now. And the Asuran are just unappealing in general. So you have your opinion and thats fine, Good on you and all that but it does not change the fact that they would add a unique flavor to our playerbase.

Posted by: TheGrimm.5624

TheGrimm.5624

One thing we don’t know is whether any new races are slated in the future since ANet ’s current business decision is keep it quiet till its done or near done. To that point if something like this was in works a nod to that point would be a great thing to communicate even if its a vague, we are considering this.

There is a lot to be said to adding a new playable race and since the expansions are targeted as level 80 zones it might be a good to place to bring new races in and set an area up as their anchor point. One of the big blocks people see is back fitting them into the pre-existing story arcs and the fact that they don’t have a connection into that story line. To that point, its ok, they don’t need to. For those looking for a new race I don’t think they would mind that their race wasn’t present in more than in passing in the Zhaitan story arc or in the LS seasons that have already occurred. It actual fits quiet nicely into the “living” world concept that they wouldn’t be backfit. Travel to new lands, see new places and meet new people…

Now the reason why one of these expansions makes sense is that it would also explain why that race wasn’t present at the previous story arc. At the time their race were in these other areas and it just so happens that the players’ toons were adventurous and were out to see the world. Their home map could be brought in and accessible from one the new areas. Portals can be added anywhere if needed to link this new home map, not sure if more than one would be needed in this case since their “higher” tier maps would be regular/pre-existing ones or new ones associated with the expansion they are released with. This pattern/concept has already been proven when you consider how the new races in HoT were worked in. The application here would be the same but with the added logic that its also an option for players to choose to play.

Now forums are a limited audience, but it can provide directional data. To that end ANet could try and gather some sample data with one their forum surveys to get a feel for interest and also use statistical information to gauge account upgrade potential and weigh that against potential project costs.

Elites cover players’ interest for new classes and the architecture that was setup is a good platform for this. A new race on top of that would also extend replay-ability and considering how many alt-o-holics this game seems to have could add another layer in for long term vets. Alts are a good source of revenue because account upgrades and good in game material/gold syncs since you still need to get them set up for whatever game modes the player chooses as well.

Anyway, food for thought…good gaming!

GW/PoTBS/WAR/Rift/WAR/GW2/CU

De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum.

Thornwolf.9721

One thing we don’t know is whether any new races are slated in the future since ANet ’s current business decision is keep it quiet till its done or near done. To that point if something like this was in works a nod to that point would be a great thing to communicate even if its a vague, we are considering this.

There is a lot to be said to adding a new playable race and since the expansions are targeted as level 80 zones it might be a good to place to bring new races in and set an area up as their anchor point. One of the big blocks people see is back fitting them into the pre-existing story arcs and the fact that they don’t have a connection into that story line. To that point, its ok, they don’t need to. For those looking for a new race I don’t think they would mind that their race wasn’t present in more than in passing in the Zhaitan story arc or in the LS seasons that have already occurred. It actual fits quiet nicely into the “living” world concept that they wouldn’t be backfit. Travel to new lands, see new places and meet new people…

Now the reason why one of these expansions makes sense is that it would also explain why that race wasn’t present at the previous story arc. At the time their race were in these other areas and it just so happens that the players’ toons were adventurous and were out to see the world. Their home map could be brought in and accessible from one the new areas. Portals can be added anywhere if needed to link this new home map, not sure if more than one would be needed in this case since their “higher” tier maps would be regular/pre-existing ones or new ones associated with the expansion they are released with. This pattern/concept has already been proven when you consider how the new races in HoT were worked in. The application here would be the same but with the added logic that its also an option for players to choose to play.

Now forums are a limited audience, but it can provide directional data. To that end ANet could try and gather some sample data with one their forum surveys to get a feel for interest and also use statistical information to gauge account upgrade potential and weigh that against potential project costs.

Elites cover players’ interest for new classes and the architecture that was setup is a good platform for this. A new race on top of that would also extend replay-ability and considering how many alt-o-holics this game seems to have could add another layer in for long term vets. Alts are a good source of revenue because account upgrades and good in game material/gold syncs since you still need to get them set up for whatever game modes the player chooses as well.

Anyway, food for thought…good gaming!

Thank you so much for posting that well written piece, I completely agree 100%.

Posted by: Nick Lentz.6982

Nick Lentz.6982

Here is why they haven’t added Tengu as a playable race:

It hasn’t fit into the narrative.

Lol the narrative makes any sense now? I’m half waiting for Taimi to say she is the next elder dragon.

Guardian of Maguuma
Grand Warden of I Crit Under Pressure.
message me for an invite ^_^

(edited by Nick Lentz.6982)

Posted by: dragonkain.3984

dragonkain.3984

I thought about it more and nah, never gonna happen. They already had 2 chances to add them and even created models but idea was scrapped and scrapped ideas never come back,

Sorry guys, just search for other game if you care about it, I myself won’t bother with GW2 anymore because of that realization.

(edited by dragonkain.3984)

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

A new race I would expect to come in an Xpac one day along with race change tokens. Its possible but I wouldnt hold my breath. Theyve done a lot of things they said they wouldnt recently and with HoT having laid the groundwork for better things, PoF giving mounts and hopefully a better experience its not unlikely that they might spend some time on a new race to play. Several races, Tengu, Kodan, Largos, hell even centaurs are in a place that could be playable but honestly I think the day they give a new race it will be completely new and as such likely if we go further east as we see the map has expanded.

Posted by: Tom.9516

Tom.9516

I thought about it more and nah, never gonna happen. They already had 2 chances to add them and even created models but idea was scrapped and scrapped ideas never come back,

Sorry guys, just search for other game if you care about it, I myself won’t bother with GW2 anymore because of that realization.

U do know Deadeye concept was scrapped before HoT right? After that they developed Daredevil. Things can change
I would love to see a new playable race, and Tengu would be perfect. Always liked them in Gw1

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

On the argument “oh noes, tengu don’t fit in old personal story!”

Actually, they fit perfectly. Nothing prevents Pact commander from being a tengu. There were tengu who were not sitting on their behinds beyond the wall, there were tengu who joined the Pact during Orr campain (like Itzu Steelshreik, if I recall correctly). Nothing prevents player-tengu to leave the Dominion of Winds, join one of three orders, become hero of Claw island and Pact commander. The fun thing is that tengu-PC makes a lot more sence compaired to current LS3 Ep6 (spoilers!) charr shining blade PC.

And, yes, if next epx features playable tengu, I will buy it without any questions. Unlike PoF, which contains things I never asked for and wanted (cough mounts cough all-human-centric plot cough more GW1 references cough).

(edited by Ider.1276)

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Those Tengu! They built that giant wall to keep us out and then they made Kryta pay for it!!

Posted by: LimeSamurai.9140

LimeSamurai.9140

Kodan = pandaren

Uh, what.

This is bad and you should feel bad.

Tudes

Posted by: LimeSamurai.9140

LimeSamurai.9140

On the argument “oh noes, tengu don’t fit in old personal story!”

Actually, they fit perfectly. Nothing prevents Pact commander from being a tengu. There were tengu who were not sitting on their behinds beyond the wall, there were tengu who joined the Pact during Orr campain (like Itzu Steelshreik, if I recall correctly). Nothing prevents player-tengu to leave the Dominion of Winds, join one of three orders, become hero of Claw island and Pact commander. The fun thing is that tengu-PC makes a lot more sence compaired to current LS3 Ep6 (spoilers!) charr shining blade PC.

And, yes, if next epx features playable tengu, I will buy it without any questions. Unlike PoF, which contains things I never asked for and wanted (cough mounts cough all-human-centric plot cough more GW1 references cough).

“Oh no, a game referencing its predecessor that is a continuation of the same franchise! The humanity!”

Last I checked Balth destroying the dragons and all of Tyria is pretty much an “everyone” issue.

But hey… rationality and logic are for dumbos

Tudes

Posted by: Ider.1276

Ider.1276

“Oh no, a game referencing its predecessor that is a continuation of the same franchise! The humanity!”

I’m ok with references if they are done right. Those in LS3 were done wrong. People who are playing GW2 should understand what is happening without having to play GW1 (greetings from all those “Livia who?” threads). Those references were integrated into GW2 story badly and lead to an unsatisfying season final. Thinking about it, they were implemented only to throw a treat to GW1 fans and to trash away completely some GW1 lose ends (Livia and Lazarus). If you enjoyed them – good for you. I didn’t (though I knew who Livia was prior to LS3). And, judging by a lots of thread, a lot of people didn’t enjoy it as well.

Last I checked Balth destroying the dragons and all of Tyria is pretty much an “everyone” issue.

A human god wreaking havoc in a human kindom of Elona featuring human factions of sunspears and ex-human undead under ex-human lich Palawa Joko. Pffff, not human-sentric at all. Just look on all that asuran, norn and charr culture around you. And, yes, shoud I remind you of charr in shining blade?

(edited by Ider.1276)