Please don't introduce wow shoulder pads.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

Argh… I HATE FLOATING HUGE SHOULDER PADS..

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I’m glad they don’t care, also calling another individual’s opinion false is bigotry and I will not be apart of it.

That word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Now, as to the subject at hand: I don’t like the big shoulders stuff. I’m not sure I’d say that I hate it, but I don’t like it. Still, I know some people do, so I hope they continue forward with a mix of both. That way everyone has a chance to be happy.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

I don’t like them. I got the Radiant ones thinking it would be pretty small and give an angelic twist with my Dwayna gloves from HoM, but NOPE!

They are these huge literal mountains on your shoulder. Even when I was trying clothes on for my Heavy classes, they still were the largest piece of the set! Mind you, I was even trying on the t3 Human heavy armor!

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

PS: Not everyone likes rainbows and unicorns.

If you dont like it after watching that you are not human.

You are right. I’m a werewolf.

Posted by: Villious.8530

Villious.8530

they either super carebear shiny(all they are missing is rainbow vomit)

Come join the dark fabulous side.

Nice image of what has gone horribly wrong with the art direction in this game.

I think it’s a great picture!

Gimme an O
Gimme an P
Gimme an I
Gimme an N
Gimme an I
Gimme an O
Gimme an N

See how that works?

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

The shoulders are designed to fit norn and char. All the other races look like a 4 year old stole Joan Crawford’s football pads.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

Just be thankful they aren’t as big as these:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/932-Challenge-Mode-Armor-Sets

Posted by: Elthurien.8356

Elthurien.8356

I don’t mind as long as there is variety. If I don’t like ’em I wont wear ’em. Best of both worlds imo

Posted by: Rajani Isa.6294

Rajani Isa.6294

Actually, wouldn’t watching that make you hate unicorns and their rainbows more?

Posted by: Mephane.8496

Mephane.8496

I don’t mind large shoulderpads as long as they
a) don’t become the norm
b) they are of good quality
c) are not made to dominate the entire character appearance

The bad part about shoulderpads in WoW is how almost all armor pieces that are not shoulder or helmet are only the same handful of models, just retextured, then new models for giant shoulderpads and helmet strapped onto those recycled armor models. Oh and then there is the fact that armor in WoW generally looks like paper mache. You can’t even tell if something is supposed to be cloth, leather or metal. If you look at random screenshots of armor sets, without further information you can but guess what armor class they are.

Posted by: kokiman.2364

kokiman.2364

they either super carebear shiny(all they are missing is rainbow vomit)

Come join the dark fabulous side.

Nice image of what has gone horribly wrong with the art direction in this game.

I think it’s a great picture!

Gimme an O
Gimme an P
Gimme an I
Gimme an N
Gimme an I
Gimme an O
Gimme an N

See how that works?

But he is right though. A.Net was more sensible in their previous game with what to add to the game designwise.

GuildWars 2

Currently playing Heart of Thorns.

(edited by kokiman.2364)

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

And that’ll be on repeat for the next 4 hours…and in my dreams as I sleep….and as my alarm in the morning…and while playing tomorrow…and…and…

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

This guy (Below) says there is nothing wrong with Large Shoulders.

Attachments:

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

That’s power armor. Those shoulders are mechanical and move automatically.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I like the shoulderpads… I wouldn’t mind more variety, but I don’t think we shouldn’t have large shoulderpads.. or medium sized ones or small ones or anything really.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Of course… he can’t understand why everyone sneaks up on him from a full 270 degree arc…

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Krone.4605

Krone.4605

Too large shoulder pads looks too cartoonish.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

I too would like more variety

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

It seems like opinion is sharply divided.

I guess I don’t mind that the larger pieces exist as long as I have a viable choice for my characters. I cannot control what others choose, but am fine as long as I can control my own character appearance.

I’d prefer that there be somewhat more choice when skins are offered as rewards for almost-everyone-will-participate content like achievements and LS episode rewards. The Achievement reward choice is big/glowy or big/dark/firey. Not exactly an inspiring set of choices for some people. The scraps vendor is somewhat better, offering 3 different back pieces as alternatives to choosing a fugly helmet.

And what’s with all the fire pieces? CoF, Fused gauntlets, now Hellfire shoulder pads. “Rocky! I seem to be on fire!”

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Everyone loves large shoulders. .

No, no we don’t Hated them in WoW. Hate them here.

Kitten, out of 8 characters, I have only a single one that displays her shoulder armor. None of the others ‘fit’ the look for my characters and many of them are just awful, imo. I’m very glad I can shut them off and not display them (right along with some of the helms, oh my gods!).

I don’t have an issue having some ‘larger’ pauldrons in the game, but we need a nice mix of all sizes, not an influx of just large. Petite characters don’t necessarily want or like ‘big bulky’ armor pieces, they don’t fit the look the person playing that character wants. Variety is the spice of life here.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Of course… he can’t understand why everyone sneaks up on him from a full 270 degree arc…

In that universe, most things that can sneak up on him wo’t hurt him much.

And those shoulderpads are designed to protect against bullets the size of a small rocket. They make sense there.

Posted by: NoxInfernus.2361

NoxInfernus.2361

VOLKON / AntiGw, Relax.
It was a joke. I fully realize that particular franchise is completely different to the GW universe.
If you need to find meaning in my silly post, it’s that even the ridiculous can ultimately be cool to others.
Opinions, right?

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

At least people that had some input all agree that variety is key. Sadly there is no variety with AP rewards. It’s all gigantic. No light or medium variation just huge tin-can style.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

I want them bigger, shinier, and more particly then ever!

In fact I want them to burn out the computer screens of anyone who dares look upon my awesomeness!

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

VOLKON / AntiGw, Relax.
It was a joke. I fully realize that particular franchise is completely different to the GW universe.
If you need to find meaning in my silly post, it’s that even the ridiculous can ultimately be cool to others.
Opinions, right?

Hmm? Me?

I was being silly too. Although I do dislike shoulder pads that look like your character is wearing an Elizabethan collar.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Araziel.7201

Araziel.7201

Bigger shoulder pads and a pink football helmet with a rainbow logo for me too. It’s too late to go back now. Just unleash the cheese.

Posted by: unseenone.1463

unseenone.1463

I logged in just to comment on this. Please do not start a trend of ever increasing shoulder size and effects. One of the major draws for this game is its style, and it does NOT need to blow that by making everything huge and ridiculous.

Araziel.7201

Also, I’d like to see some Final Fantasy wizard style hats brought in. Zelda boots and hats and Naruto style headbands with our guild symbols displayed. And for the love of Tyria an Asuran hoverboard.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

The new shoulders on my human ranger and sylvari thief look completely stupid. They should scale based on the character size.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

If Anet released more armor that looked like the Radiant Mantle, I would play this game a lot more, but it seems like Anet is allergic to gear that looks nice. Playing WoW for a few years, then coming to Guild Wars 2, I was shocked and quite nearly disgusted at the gear in GW2. You go from gear that you think looks amazing in WoW, to skirts, robes, leather coats, and chain-mail in GW2. Guess it’s just a matter of opinion though, because my friends like the skimpy armor they wear in GW2, while I think it looks like garbage.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

If AreaNet released more armor that looked like the Radiant Mantle …

I’d make a random password → change my email → print it → rip it → stomp on it → burn it → flush it down the toilet → never look back again.

Most of the shoulders are plain ugly scaled (aside from human light female … who wonders). Way to big and mostly floating somewhere in the air.

Imagine everyone with all those particle effects. It ’s really putting the engine to it ’s limits even when just a few players are wearing particle heavy skins right now.

And no, it ’s got nothing to do with the hardware or our drivers but the way the engine works right now (and probably ever will – as it ’s already at it ’s limits).

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

If AreaNet released more armor that looked like the Radiant Mantle …

I’d make a random password -> change my email -> print it -> rip it -> stomp on it -> burn it -> flush it down the toilet -> never look back again.

Most of the shoulders are plain ugly scaled (aside from human light female … who wonders). Way to big and mostly floating somewhere in the air.

Imagine everyone with all those particle effects. It ’s really putting the engine to it ’s limits even when just a few players are wearing particle heavy skins right now.

And no, it ’s got nothing to do with the hardware or our drivers but the way the engine works right now (and probably ever will – as it ’s already at it ’s limits).

Yeah – they seriously need to do something about that. I agree that the shoulders should be scaled correctly for different sized characters, but it looks nice all the same. Anet could learn something from WoW’s servers then, because I can pretty much guarantee that nearly every level 75-90 has particle effects on their shoulders, and the servers carry probably twice as many people as Anet’s.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

They are good, so it’s a personal taste thing…

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Rottaran Owain.6789

Rottaran Owain.6789

“I may not like your shoulderpads, but I would fight to the death for your right to wear them.”

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

Yeah – they seriously need to do something about that. I agree that the shoulders should be scaled correctly for different sized characters, but it looks nice all the same. Anet could learn something from WoW’s servers then, because I can pretty much guarantee that nearly every level 75-90 has particle effects on their shoulders, and the servers carry probably twice as many people as Anet’s.

As much as I hate to admit it but Blizzards Engine isn’t an updated version of an old engine but a tailored one from scratch soley it ’s purpose unlike what we have in GW2 here.

GW2 has an highly updated GW1 engine that was really improved but it just wasn’t made for an MMO of that scale and no matter how much you try to adjust a piece that wasn’t made for a special purpose it won’t ever be as good as something made from scratch (you can use a cupboard as a chair or a desk, but only to a extend).

But that ’s how the gaming industry works -> reuse code, as it ’s cost effective (which I always doubt, in the long term but oh well try to explain that to someone in sales). Oh and sometimes you actually are lazy AND | OR believe that it will be fine …
well sometimes it even works.

That said I’ve seen way more “retailored” engines, that one is actually one of the better ones.

Even though I believe their engine developers are actualy a little bit lazy lately and should continue to fix their stuff (clippings (yes you cant fix that one completely, but make it look way better), character propotions (asura weapons i. E.), effect reusage and so on …

Ever since the release they did little to anything to their core engine, it ‘s time they start working out the little flaws even if they did a great job with the initial release. A year of laziness is ok and puts you in a better point of view / distance – but you might want to improve your stuff – once in a while – if you love what you’re doing. Don’t you? Well they might have already started and it just wasn’t released and / or it ‘s in places I didn’t notice (yet) so no offense AreaNet and Kudos for your great work aside from that.

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

(edited by imaginary.6241)

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

please stop relating everything to wow.

Well if they stop making huge shoulder pads like in wow then they won’t relate it to wow.. It’s a legit comparison so get over it.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I personally dislike large shoulders if it doesn’t fit the rest of the set or the medium size races. What looks good for norn or charr may not be ideal for my taste when trying to use on human. Many times it just doesn’t look practical.

I too put myself in the shoes of my toons. What would I wear? What looks good together? Does this piece clip in a way that I can’t handle?

Example of large shoulders done in a way that appeals to me:
Vigil medium on human male thief.

Example of large shoulders done in a way that doesn’t appeal to me and doesn’t fit my chosen armor schemes (non bulky armor):
Radiant medium on human male thief.

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

> 2013
> still crediting Blizzard for things they blatantly copied from Warhammer

Posted by: Bismuth.3165

Bismuth.3165

Everyone doesn’t have to include me, I actually like the legendary shortbow, I still think it needs more effects, but I don’t like the bifrost, staff could’ve been so much cooler but, something like a particle from each element spinning around it, and maybe changing footsteps, like, Predator’s footsteps when you’re in fire attunement, bolt’s footsteps when you’re in air, week but footsteps that change depending on your attunement, eles could have such cool legendaries but anet doesn’t like eles.

Jeeha (ele) and Jeeha The Warrior
Is currently emotionally unstable because Breaking Bad is over

Posted by: HiSaZuL.2843

HiSaZuL.2843

Try necro then kitten about legendaries.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I don’t like huge shoulderpads either, but there are other options in the game if you don’t like them (unless you’re a Charr, then they’re all required to be huge :p) so I don’t really have a problem with them introducing a few new large ones. Variety is good.

However, I DO have a problem with them not making different models for them based on armor class.

It didn’t bother me in regards to the Halloween shoulderpads and the Southsun shoulderpads because those are bone / shell, you can’t really make them look all that different. Most you could do there would be to embed the shells in metal for heavy or something I guess, but that would probably look odd. Or make it metal that looks like shells for heavy and cloth that looks like shells for light perhaps, but that isn’t as unique as actual shells.

But the Molten Gauntlets, Dragon Bash helmet, Zephyrite helmets, and the new achievement armor skins? No excuse. Every single one of those should have unique models for each armor class. They aren’t made out of any specific material that restricts them to a single appearance, they’re just broad themes. Lava gauntlets, dragon hat, hat with glowy magic crystal, and fiery / light-based armor. There’s no reason any of those couldn’t be given separate models based on armor class. If you’re going to keep the different armor classes separate so that it gives each class a distinct look, then you need to keep that distinct look for all items and give different skins to each item based on armor class (except where not applicable). Not start throwing out a bunch of obviously heavy-armor designs and applying them to all weight classes.

Little chance of getting them changed now unfortunately, there are no doubt people who love the current models. But in the future they really need to make different models per armor class.

(edited by Electro.4173)

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

please stop relating everything to wow.

Well if they stop making huge shoulder pads like in wow then they won’t relate it to wow.. It’s a legit comparison so get over it.

The one not getting over something here is you, namely WoW. If you cannot come up with an argument why something is intrisically bad or good, drawing comparisons to another game you do not like is irrelevant as an argument against something. Things may be bad in WoW, but they are not bad BECAUSE they are in WoW. Not a fan of huge shoulder pads myself though.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Any pauldrons on asura should be double sized….just cuz asura

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Grammar Saint.3541

Grammar Saint.3541

The bigger the pauldrons, the better. At least in my opinion.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Did you hear about the new Giants linebacker? Yea he just got the new shoulder-pads, and hes a norn.
:)

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Araziel.7201

I couldn’t care less if they put huge shoulder pads in now. I wouldn’t care if they were so big that each side had a tower with an Asura wielding a rifle in it. It couldn’t be any worse than huge Norn warriors with two-handers and pink Quaggan backpacks. So whatever…