Please don't make us craft ascended armor

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Currently, ascended weapons can be earned as loot drops. I see no reason why the same wouldn’t be true for ascended armor. The drama in this thread seems vastly premature.

Yeah, they theoretically can. On the other hand, since they were introduced in, I dropped more precursors than ascended boxes. Just saying.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Dungeon tokens and fractal tokens >____> should let us buy ASCENDED weapons, while for ascended armor….will kill my last chance to get in WWW+PVE with BiS equip (i have 3 ascended weapon and need still 11)…and thus my will to play.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Onshidesigns.1069

Onshidesigns.1069

I think ascended armor should be craftable. But Legendaries should be the rewards for content.

This makes sense if you thunk about the meanings of the words Ascended and Legendary.

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

I think ascended armor should be craftable. But Legendaries should be the rewards for content.

This makes sense if you thunk about the meanings of the words Ascended and Legendary.

Yea, you craft to ascend. Makes perfect sense.

Posted by: Grileenor.1497

Grileenor.1497

I know the damage is already done with the ascended crafting materials and raising the crafting level cap, but I feel like ascended armor should be a reward from a questline.
Expand further on the background story of ascension and how it relates to fractals. This is the perfect opportunity to give what most GW1 players want to see, a return of familiar lore and possibly enemies.

Questlines or something equaling that are no part of this game. Sadly. I miss them most. With the single exception of the personal story. ArenaNet said: each of you, play it your style. This style is seriously missing. It would be best to offer both: quest/story-lines to offer ascended equipment or crafting.

Zhaitan would be dead much more often, if the final reward wouldn’t be some worthless piece of junk compared to all the equipment in the game. Sadly again.

Hey, you don’t really think ANet would implement something new without some ridiculous grind?

Made my day

i hate you soft wood log

I am still laughing

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

I enjoy crafting as long as the materials are not restricted. That is only found one place. I want the mats to be pretty available from more than one source. I don’t want to be forced into 5 man dungeons for a crafting mat. As long as there is a place in the dynamic world to get it it’s fine.

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I think the people who enjoy vertical progression, power creep, and massively outgearing people in WvW (approx 25% more dmg in full ascended, armor included) so they can stomp the new and inexperienced would be happier in a game like World of Warcraft. Go play that and stop ruining GW2. Thanks.

Actually someone did the math, and full ascended EVERYTHING, assuming perfect rotation, it was a 5.7% DPS increase for having ascended gear.

I wouldn’t call that ‘massively outgearing’.

Really? I saw different math. Weapons+trinkets already get you around 15% damage depending on profession and traits.

Go ask the people doing WvW with ascended. The damage increase is VERY noticeable.

He or she isn’t wrong, but is withholding information. Power+crit and raw DPS does not a game make.

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/50070/Untitled.jpg

Even on berserker gear damage is only increased by 6%, however, the primary stat is increased by about 12% and the secondary stats by about 8%.

I’m going to try and find those threads.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s 6% with just an ascended weapon, but I believe that number will be much higher when you add trinkets and armor.

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

I know the damage is already done with the ascended crafting materials and raising the crafting level cap, but I feel like ascended armor should be a reward from a questline.
Expand further on the background story of ascension and how it relates to fractals. This is the perfect opportunity to give what most GW1 players want to see, a return of familiar lore and possibly enemies.

Questlines or something equaling that are no part of this game. Sadly. I miss them most. With the single exception of the personal story. ArenaNet said: each of you, play it your style. This style is seriously missing. It would be best to offer both: quest/story-lines to offer ascended equipment or crafting.

Zhaitan would be dead much more often, if the final reward wouldn’t be some worthless piece of junk compared to all the equipment in the game. Sadly again.

Hey, you don’t really think ANet would implement something new without some ridiculous grind?

Made my day

i hate you soft wood log

I am still laughing

Maybe me using the word “questline” was a little off putting to some, I was thinking along the lines of personal story taking you through the whole process seeing the armor itself become stronger. Something equivalent to a few missions in GW1, difficult but worth it.

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: Ahlen.7591

Ahlen.7591

+1.

no ascended armour pls ANET.

you don’t make grindy games. you leave that to others.

Seriously, what game are you playing? GW2 is worse a grind than WoW was in his first year.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH…oh god, I can’t catch my breath.

Wait, you were serious, let me laugh even harder.

Posted by: Dr Ritter.1327

Dr Ritter.1327

You can also get ascended weapons from champ boxes or teq. They’ll hopefully add in ascended armor into the boxes and later on have another revamped boss that has a chance to drop ascended armor.

The chances seem like they are about the same as getting a precursor in the forge though…

Yeah you can get ascended armor with kittenty stats from boxes

thats the worst thing, you finally get the ascended drop but it has some useless set of stats. its like super rng hoping you get the drop in the first place and also the stats your build uses

The Paragon
[KICK] You’re out of the Guild
#beastgate

Posted by: Murashin.8295

Murashin.8295

Sorry but I think they should add Dinosaurs enemies, not only Raptors.

This is what I think about Ascended Armors.
More Dinosaurs, less qq .

Posted by: Master Yi.6129

Master Yi.6129

Crafting is:

• Completely mindless drag and dropping.
  • Mindless searching though a terrible UI for the item you want to craft.

Crafting unfortunately isn’t going away — at least make it so that we only have to click one button to get it over with because the act of crafting (refining, making item parts, discovery) is NOT FUN AT ALL.

Actually, there are filters for that UI…

Posted by: Eviscera.9703

Eviscera.9703

Why is Anet forcing us to craft endgame gear? Do you know how boring and frustrating it is to level up crafting? Standing infront of the npc and craft like a zombie?

Give us an epic story quest that progresses throughout the whole world with world bosses and epic fights. A quest that actually feels fun and rewarding at the same time and can be done with friends.
Anet please think about your decisions before you introduce them!!!

Posted by: Buffalo Sabres.1072

Buffalo Sabres.1072

If crafting was a part of it and required a bunch of other things i wouldn’t mind , but another straight crafting grind like i had to do with 3 ascended zojja weapons so far is Kitten…

98%+ it will be straight crafting , i just hope they hold out till Christmas and give people more time to farm and finish their weapons first.

Posted by: Shanna.4762

Shanna.4762

I agree with the OP, I hate crafting and don’t want to be forced into it to be on par with people who do. There needs to be alternative methods to attain it.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

exotic gear has become ridiculously easy to obtain.
And WvW isn’t ballanced stat wise now anyway, what with food buffs and bloodlust.

I am of the opinion that it’s mostly the hard core pve’ers or pretty much pve only players who have a problem with how easy exotics were to obtain. WvW folks I think has less of a problem with that because it’s my view that pvpers fundamentally like to change builds which usually means changing gear and having easily obtained gear supports that. We know the GW crowd hates vertical grind and would rather have content. So that leaves the WoW esque type of player who needs a game to tell them they have goals instead of creating goals for themselves who complained about easily obtained exotics.

I don’t have a problem either with ascended being crafted or randomly getting them from drops. But overall, the entire ascended thing has been sloppy and all over the place while forcing players to do things they don’t like to do for the sake of trying to make the game look like certain areas are having success when in fact players don’t really don’t want to be there.

I am also of the view that ascended first and foremost should be available for purchase from fractal vendors with fractal currency as this place was supposedly created with ascended in mind. You need the pink items to move up in level, it’s as simple as that. Crafting/drops/laurel purchases/wvw purchases/guild comm purchases should have all been the secondary means to obtain these items.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

There’s a good reason not to make crafting the sole reliable way of obtaining asc armor if the recipes are similar to asc weapons, and thats because for those of us that have no low levels there are no reliable ways of obtaining mid level mats because rewards are scaled to our level. Its a fundamental difference to weapon mats which have nodes. I really hope anet take this into account.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Svarty.8019

Svarty.8019

I suppose that crafting is the grind-play people asked for. Sadly, on top of the grind, they also have to go scrabbling around the internet for recipes, bills of materials – that’s the part I dislike.

Maybe the solution to all this mess is to improve the crafting interface – god knows it needs it.

Nobody at Anet loves WvW like Grouch loved PvP. That’s what we need, a WvW Grouch, but taller.

Posted by: Kaiyanwan.8521

Kaiyanwan.8521

+1.

Seriously, what game are you playing? GW2 is worse a grind than WoW was in his first year.

HAHAHAHAHAHAH…oh god, I can’t catch my breath.

Wait, you were serious, let me laugh even harder.

I am dead serious. There was no equal amount of grind in the first year of WoW compared to what we have over here.
The bad grind started later with tiering up for raids after Molten Core. And when dailies started to be a thing. Dailies yeah, ANet started with that sooner… ^^

I played sooo many AAA MMOs, and the grind in GW2 is for sure upper class.

Posted by: bertiweber.9360

bertiweber.9360

Agreed with OP.

I have absolutely no interest to invest my time on crafting in a game.

Need a second option at least, like getting tokens from dungeon/fractal to obtain ascanded.

Posted by: whyme.3281

whyme.3281

Crafting Accsended weapons was a huge goldsink for nearly no reward. I think it would be better, to trade basic material for dungeon tokens (180 of each dungeon), fraktal relicts(500 per item + 10 pristine fractal relicts) or 750 WvW tokens.
Add some globs of ectoplasma (50) and some (25) T6 mats depending on the stats you want and maybe lodestones if you want a special skin.

And all this thrown into the mystik toilet to get your armor.

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

I’ve been working Huntman and got to 476 and now I get no increase for crafting some ascended items/components now, making the grind longer as well as expensive.
Back to the grind.

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Agreed with OP.

I have absolutely no interest to invest my time on crafting in a game.

Need a second option at least, like getting tokens from dungeon/fractal to obtain ascanded.

I can support this idea. While I will probably craft most of any ascended armor, there has to be imo a viable alternative for those who want to actively play towards earning the armor instead. Current “RNG” based rewarding is frankly idiotic, and doesnt “reward” the player in any way for skill or commitment. Its pure luck.

I could envisage some kind of “uber” dungeon in a fractals esq setting that requires a lot of teamwork and with a lot of mechanics and the final reward is some tokens for ascended armor trading.

But whats more likely is they will “revamp” Shatterer or Claw to Teq standards and drop in more craptastic RNG based reward for armor stats you dont want.

Posted by: Mathias.9657

Mathias.9657

No, now get back to grinding!

Sincerely, Arena Net.

Back to WoW, make GW2 fun please.

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

PvPers see things very differently, let me rephrase your words to demonstrate. The fixed text should be in bold.

“I know the damage is already done with the ascended Fractal Instances and forcing the PvPers to grind, but I feel like ascended armor should be a reward from PvP Vendors.”

Posted by: Lexandro.1456

Lexandro.1456

Why would a PvP’er care about ascended armors ? They wont be in PvP formats since the gear is stat capped. If you mean WvW, that is not classed as PvP by Anet therfor does not apply.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Why would a PvP’er care about ascended armors ? They wont be in PvP formats since the gear is stat capped. If you mean WvW, that is not classed as PvP by Anet therfor does not apply.

Pretty sure he meant WvW and WvW vendors. Even I could figure that out.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

Ive quit this game because ascended weapons require crafting,

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

I don’t mind the requirement to craft it, but I would hope the resources and the end product weren’t account bound so crafters could actually benefit from an increase in the crafting skill cap. The only thing wrong with the ascended weapons is the fact that a player must be the crafter and there’s no way to sell their goods.

I personally feel the only thing that makes ascended weapons unfriendly to alts is the fact that players have to get the resources and craft the tiem.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Well, until there is another method of obtaining ascended gear reliably(not just an RNG drop), I am staying away from Guild Wars 2. I don’t want to craft for it. I dont want to grind materials for it.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Greek.4396

Greek.4396

Please Devs, If I am going to grind for these armors for wvw, with the little time I have now to play this game, could you at least make the armor look good????

Server – Blackgate | Rev Main
Main Guild – oPP/RIOT/yumy(Booty Bakery)
IGN- Greek Kenpachi | Champion Ritualist

Posted by: Maximus Delion.8719

Maximus Delion.8719

There really needs to be three paths to ascended gear:

1. gathering a very large number of crafting materials (current system)
2. completing every dungeon path — story and explorable, and even the mini-dungeons (possibly multiple times), along with fractals
3. earning a very large number of badges of honor

Option 1 is great for the casual explorers. It takes significantly more time, but can be done entirely solo and at one’s own pace.

Option 2: completing each path in a dungeon gives you a unique token for that path. Collect one of every token, along with X-number of some other currency earned through high-level fractals… and maybe a stack of Bloodstone Dust (what else are we going to do with all that stuff?), and you get your choice of a single piece of ascended gear. Rinse and repeat to get another piece.

Option 3 is dead simple. Each piece of ascended gear costs X-number of badges of honor (where X is a sufficiently large number).

Not only do you have the freedom to play the parts of the game you like best and get the same rewards, you can also mix-and-match between different game types — get your chest from crafting, your leggings through dungeons and the rest through WvW, etc. — or whatever ratio matches your play-style.

(edited by Maximus Delion.8719)

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Sorry but crafting should be the main means of obtaining gear, IE the majority of items created for a purpose should be created directly, not through random drops. And if you do put crafting in a game, it should be the main method in which items are generated.

HOWEVER, it should not be required to craft in order to obtain the item. Crafters should be able to supply people with the items they need.

SO the solution is
make the vision crystal craftable in the Mystic forge as well as the crafting tables.
Make a final recipe that uses more crafting mats in the mystic forge.

this way, crafting is still one of the best ways to get an item, however players can opt out if they hate crafting, or just dont want to invest a large amount of money to level crafting. Crafters then have the advantage of making the items more easily, and with less mats.

Far as the lore elements/quests/etc they really should have more of that, but they can tie that to the vision crystal recipes

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I am all about multiple ways to acquire. GW2 is supposed to be about us playing the way we want. Make a way for us to get it doing a few different things. I am all about being able to trade in Exotic Skins from Dungeons plus “x” number of tokens from the same dungeon as the armor we have and getting an ascended version of that via the Forge. I know some of the Dungeons have a badge or token already that costs 200 tokens to get for making some of the dungeon based exotic jewelry. let us combine that with armor pieces to make it ascended in the mystic forge.

Let us get it in Fractals. You know: The place that Ascended Armor is for since it will have the ability to take a simple infusion for AR. We can trade in 5 of the high end fractal relics for it. That’s 5 days worth of dailies.

I know you guys at ArenaNet want some of this stuff to be time gated. I don’t agree with it, because I believe it goes against the spirit of Guild Wars since it’s inception all those years ago, but it seems it’s kinda set in stone. Fine then. At least give us some notion as to whether or not this is the end all ceiling for tiers so that we aren’t on a treadmill like every other MMO under the sun. It isn’t what makes a game fun and actually detracts from the fun of alting and a million other things I could list ad nauseam.

I can accept it being in the game but give us multiple options from the get go. Don’t make it so you have to craft it. With all due respect, doing it that way is taking the easy way out and implementing it just for time gating’s sake. You guys are better than that.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: McSlappy.1372

McSlappy.1372

Pretty sure he meant WvW and WvW vendors. Even I could figure that out.

Yeah it was pretty simple to figure out. I liked though how WvW isn’t PvP?……… It’s maybe not Structured PvP. But exactly what type of game mechanic would you call it? It’s Player Vs other Players. Granted there are PvE parts to it as well but it’s definitely PvP.

Ive quit this game because ascended weapons require crafting,

That’s cool I quit last November because Ascended items were only random drops from a repeating Dungeon sequence. I’m not going to do that so I can’t get the best gear for the way I play games. How about I just not bother playing the crappy game then. Now they’ve put in a method to have BiS gear without grinding Fractals so I’ll try it out.

(edited by McSlappy.1372)

Posted by: Scryed.9423

Scryed.9423

Agree with the op. Here’s to hoping we get a few choices on where to pick a set up at.

Posted by: Deiku.9037

Deiku.9037

Fully agree with OP, i hate crafting. It doesn’t make a difference if you give me the best crafting system in the world (and clearly this isn’t), i simply don’t find any appeal in gathering and crafting. i really hope they give us tokens for ascended gear or that they cost alot of gold like cultural armor. It’s already enough to know i’m not getting ascended weapons anytime soon because i refuse to put up with this grind.

The game is all about being who you want to be, do what you want to do! So why do i have to be a crafter if i hate crafting just to be at the top of my game? I love your game Anet, but i might have to quit if i learn i can never be as good as others just because i don’t like crafting. The weapons are already a big hit on me, don’t make it worse….

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

+1.

err.. you seriously didn’t get that i was kinda quoting Colin Johansson ? or was it someone else ? cant remember

in the manifesto video, that guy said “we don’t make grindy games, we leave that to others”. in case you missed on that…..

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

(edited by azizul.8469)