Please drop a nuke on Orr.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Sneaks.2071

Sneaks.2071

Not to mention… like half of the waypoints in the Straits of Devastation are always contested… and they are usually next to each other. Wouldn’t mind if the area itself wasn’t such a pain to move through.

Posted by: Raehvyn.4530

Raehvyn.4530

Most fun I ever had in Orr was taking a group down to Malchor’s Leap to do every event in the zone.

I would be happy to find one event there which isn’t stuck, on my server.

I actually like the look of Malchor’s Leap, and I think some areas have great atmosphere (like the part of the ocean when you dive and everything goes black, you can’t even tell which side is up). But there are usually 2 or 3 players in the whole area, practically every event is stuck with some unresponsive NPCs or bugged progress bars, and every mob respawns 10 seconds after you kill it, so there is absolutely no sense of accomplishment.

I had a lengthy post over in the DE sub forum on a Malchor’s Leap thread about doing DEs in Leap, but I’ll be honest, I’ve found DEs in Leap to be far less bugged than DEs in Straits or Shore. It’s part of why I planned a guild event in Leap. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

I’m pretty agressive when I play in Leap…. I talk a LOT in /map, and work hard to get ad-hoc groups coordinated enough to do the Lyssa chain because I find the challenge so much fun.

I feel the same way about the Balthazar event in Straits… one of the most fun events in the game, and I’ve been seriously bummed that it’s been stuck for so long, I’m really hoping that the DEC 3 patch resolved the event a bit better.

I dunno, maybe I’m just nuts, but all in all, I would like to see more zones like Orr…. would love to see a Lvl 80 Charr zone getting seriously bombarded by Flame Legion, or a lvl 80 Asura Zone that’s neck deep in inquest and golems….

You’re shifting off focus. It isn’t about zones like Orr, I agree with you, but the types of lame mobs implimented.

[NoPe] Jello Gangsta Cosby.Cute Lil Pookiebear
“Check your inbox. Infractions for everyone!” – Oprah

Posted by: Nefar.8135

Nefar.8135

I don’t even bother going to orr or that new area. Getting knocked around and CC all the time is absolute garbage.

Posted by: forrae.6708

forrae.6708

haha, nuking orr would be amazing

i have a love/hate thing for that place. sometimes i dont mind the mobs and all, but other times im just thinking “get me out of here”

guess its just mood dependent

thugged out since cubscouts

Posted by: JemL.3501

JemL.3501

i like orr because isnt a picnic like the other maps

I took an arrow to the knee

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I do hope they rethink all level 80 areas and certainly everything beyond the Straits. It would make it better to have more players and I always tried to attach myself to other players when leveling to 80. Problem is there often aren’t other players around. And, I actually just did a server transfer to a higher pop server; it’s much better but doesn’t solve the problem of the areas—they need to be redesigned to keep fun in the challenge. It’s always a difficult balance.

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

You’re shifting off focus. It isn’t about zones like Orr, I agree with you, but the types of lame mobs implimented.

On that then…. the way I see things is that Orr is a bit of a cliche’ theme… they’re Zombies… what do zombies do? They drag you down, crush you under the weight of numbers and nom on you.

Not the most sophisticated beasts in the world… but the way they behave in Orr is exactly what I would expect from Zombies.

I think if we had more variety in lvl 80 zones, this wouldn’t feel so bad. I would expect a themed zone focused on the Flame Legion to make me worry less about getting caught, and more about getting mass degened via burning… I would expect heavy daze / confusion / WTF IS THAT THING moments in an Inquest heavy zone….

Orr is mechanically true to it’s theme. I don’t like the zombie motif, but I get it. I’m okay with Orr working like it does…. but I will join a movement for more end game zones that introduce different types of mechanical difficulty.

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

How the heck are y’all getting knocked down constantly, anyway?
I don’t think I’ve ever had a Risen pull me more than once during a fight, at the beginning.
I don’t think I’ve ever had a big group of Risen pull me more than once every 10 seconds.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

Posted by: Araushnee.1852

Araushnee.1852

Orr can be annoying. I hated it at first. I’ve gotten used to it on one character and don’t have much of an issue now with Orr. It makes the rest of the game feel really easy.

Gamer Gal

Raehvyn.4530

On that then…. the way I see things is that Orr is a bit of a cliche’ theme… they’re Zombies… what do zombies do? They drag you down, crush you under the weight of numbers and nom on you.

Not the most sophisticated beasts in the world… but the way they behave in Orr is exactly what I would expect from Zombies.

I think if we had more variety in lvl 80 zones, this wouldn’t feel so bad. I would expect a themed zone focused on the Flame Legion to make me worry less about getting caught, and more about getting mass degened via burning… I would expect heavy daze / confusion / WTF IS THAT THING moments in an Inquest heavy zone….

Orr is mechanically true to it’s theme. I don’t like the zombie motif, but I get it. I’m okay with Orr working like it does…. but I will join a movement for more end game zones that introduce different types of mechanical difficulty.

So when you picture zombies you picture monsters that pull you forward, knock you down, sink you, and then bite your ankles? Fair enough. You get to direct the next Romero movie.

Raehvyn.4530

On top of that though in all of the lore I’ve ever seen I’ve never seen anything that would validate the use of such heavy handed CC. Slowing and crippling sure, understandable, but all the other stuff? What kitten zombie throws axes and whips you forward? That entire thing is out of place.

If zombies did that we wouldn’t need busty naked women in shower scenes in horror movies. Nor would we have the oh no I fell in the woods scene. It’d be straight up zombies breaking legs and throwing dudes all over.

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

I don’t understand why Zhaitan is such a bad guy.

I mean sure he attacks lions’ arch, but that’s likely in response to 100’s of adventurers pillaging his empire.

When he does get his empire back because all the invaders decided to do fractal reruns he doesn’t invade or anything, he just chills in his empire happy to finally have some peace and quiet.

Stop being cretins and attacking orr, they are just minding their own business.

Raehvyn.4530

I mean sure he attacks lions’ arch, but that’s likely in response to 100’s of adventurers pillaging his empire.

When he does get his empire back because all the invaders decided to do fractal reruns he doesn’t invade or anything, he just chills in his empire happy to finally have some peace and quiet.

I hate when I go into the kitchen to make a sandwich and turn into a minion of Zhaitan. We’re all misunderstood.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

He attacks claw island…

Or as trahearne says
“CLOOR island”

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: Captain Maugrymm.1753

Captain Maugrymm.1753

On top of that though in all of the lore I’ve ever seen I’ve never seen anything that would validate the use of such heavy handed CC. Slowing and crippling sure, understandable, but all the other stuff? What kitten zombie throws axes and whips you forward? That entire thing is out of place.

If zombies did that we wouldn’t need busty naked women in shower scenes in horror movies. Nor would we have the oh no I fell in the woods scene. It’d be straight up zombies breaking legs and throwing dudes all over.

I REALLY need to see a zombie movie like that. Seriously.

On topic however, I have yet to actually take my main to Orr, mostly because I’m just shy of level 70, but also because I may have gone a straight-up glass cannon Ele build. >.<

After reading through this thread, I have a deep desire to run the opposite direction of those corpse-ridden shores. Yet, I’m enjoying this thread immensely and wanted to add my own thoughts.

And if I may say, OP you have expressed all of your opinions in a very well-spoken and easy to understand prose. I appreciate that. Now don’t let me keep you guys, I’d love to read more!

Maugrymm- 80 Elementalist/Rajibad- 80 Ranger/Soreph-80 Mesmer
Fat Lute Tavern [LUTE]- Sorrow’s Furnace
“There are other worlds than these.”

Posted by: Sentry.3691

Sentry.3691

I had a lengthy post over in the DE sub forum on a Malchor’s Leap thread about doing DEs in Leap, but I’ll be honest, I’ve found DEs in Leap to be far less bugged than DEs in Straits or Shore. It’s part of why I planned a guild event in Leap. Obviously, your mileage may vary.

I’m pretty agressive when I play in Leap…. I talk a LOT in /map, and work hard to get ad-hoc groups coordinated enough to do the Lyssa chain because I find the challenge so much fun.

I feel the same way about the Balthazar event in Straits… one of the most fun events in the game, and I’ve been seriously bummed that it’s been stuck for so long, I’m really hoping that the DEC 3 patch resolved the event a bit better.

I dunno, maybe I’m just nuts, but all in all, I would like to see more zones like Orr…. would love to see a Lvl 80 Charr zone getting seriously bombarded by Flame Legion, or a lvl 80 Asura Zone that’s neck deep in inquest and golems….

First, I mean no offense. I respect your opinion and I can see where you are coming from. It is almost always fun in an MMO to be part of a large group accomplishing things together.
However, I strongly believe that a game should be fun by design – and not because a gamer went way out of their way to make it fun for themselves. Your experience in the zone is not typical.

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

He attacks claw island…

Or as trahearne says
“CLOOR island”

Ah but did he attack “cloor island” unprovoked, or did they simply retaliate for the obvious ghost pepper, truffle and omnomberry theft by adventurers that was rampant at the time?

I mean look at the trailer scenes of Zhaitan, clearly he has self esteem issues and hides himself in the wings to shut out the outside world psychologically

Irony…. xD

Posted by: nofo.8469

nofo.8469

I’m pretty sure sending a bunch of psychopaths to his nation butchering thousands of his farmers, nobles and other assorted citizens accounts for his “unprovoked” attack on cloor island.

Posted by: rancidstick.2704

rancidstick.2704

Cursed shore would be find if there was any real reason for large number of players to be spread out in that map. But no, instead of making changes to promote players to go to cursed shore they just kill the drop rates there and funnel anyone else to fractals.

Posted by: CassieGold.7460

CassieGold.7460

First, I mean no offense. I respect your opinion and I can see where you are coming from. It is almost always fun in an MMO to be part of a large group accomplishing things together.
However, I strongly believe that a game should be fun by design – and not because a gamer went way out of their way to make it fun for themselves. Your experience in the zone is not typical.

That makes me really sad. I really wish that the kind of experience I have when I go to Orr is the kind of experience most people could enjoy, because I find the zone to be immensely rewarding to play in. I guess my question is: Do we as a community have the ability to make it that way? Do people want to?

I was thinking about Orr a lot while I was stuck in traffic and what mechanics could make the zone more thematic and mechanically interesting. I will agree that an undead beastie that throws axes that magically pull you towards the beastie is a bit of a stretch…..

Things that I see that really fit the theme: 1) Risen Brutes with hammers that will KD…. absolutely, a big hulking undead thing that can smack me flat to the ground and has a ton of HP…. bring it on, I love it. 2) Really high respawn rate….. I’m flashing back to Dawn of the Dead and the shoulder to shoulder waves of undead and thinking that the spawn rate kind of fits that theme. 3) Cripple…. yeah, if the ankle biter noms on my leg I expect to limp, I’m good with that.

Things I would like to see: 1) I think they could get the feel of ‘every one of us that dies is a soldier for Zaitan’ if any defeated player spawned a risen minion…. wanna make that better? Let the player rally if the spawned minion is killed. (And before anyone says anything, yes, I’m already thinking of the droves of defeated players at the Balthazar event… that’s part of why I think a Rally from Defeated for slaying the spawned minion would be cool.) 2) I would like to see the axe throwing go away, but I would like to see it replaced with hands that will grasp you from the ground…. again, more classic zombie shtick, but it works in the theme for me.

Other thoughts about mechanics we would rather see in Orr?

LVL 80’s: Thief / Warrior / Guardian / Mesmer

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I hated Orr. After seeing the dev’s answer to Orr hate (Southsun), I like Orr.

Supply link mate?

No link, just inference. Yes, I’m speculating on an internet forum, shocking, isn’t it?

What were some of the complaints about Orr? It’s too drab and gloomy! and Southsun is bright and sun-shiny. Too much can’t get-there-from-here in Orr! and Southsun has very little in the way of channeling by comparison. The Risen are too tightly packed! and mob density in Southsun is less. The Risen are annoying, not challenging! and the mobs in Southsun have less CC and some hit considerably harder. There are too many knocks and pulls in Orr! and few knocks, and no pulls, just very brief cripples and immobilizes in Southsun.

It may have nothing to do with a reaction to complaints about Orr, but there are some differences between the two zones that correspond to recurring complaints about Orr.

Posted by: Mimizu.7340

Mimizu.7340

having just gotten my warrior to 80,
i have been to Orr for the first time.
i must say, i rather liked it;
it made me get all tactical and excited.
i map-completed the Straits and half of Melchor’s in one sitting.
went to Southsun after, the karka were sitting ducks by comparison.
i have always wondered about these Orr/Karka “too hard” threads,
but could never have an opinion having never done them.
now i know they are possible with a warrior and some concentration.

Mimizu Heavy Industries [Doll] – Underworld

(edited by Mimizu.7340)

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

I’d been doing dungeons exclusively, and recently returned to Orr for the first time in a while.

I was struck – more than at my first visit, for some reason – by the beauty of the zone’s art direction.

Posted by: Nostromo.4126

Nostromo.4126

MangoMan: Would traveling with a large group help? I’m level 60-something, and therefor of course have never been to Orr, but would that be something you can do to avoid annoyance?

Wow – another slow poke! Were you there from launch, or is this like the 4th toon you’ve levelled lol? Perhaps I am the only one sniff (necro about to ding 60).

Agreed. Screw Orr, the worst high level one ever. I just craft my character’s from 70 to 80 to avoid that place lol. It’d be better if they decreased the amount of mobs in that zone by a lot. Maybe they should think more quality over quantity.

Aren’t there 2 or 3 zones to pick from between 60-80…? I guess even assisting lowbies & exploring/map completion in other low-level zones would get you from 70-80 eventually, if you really hate Orr this much. Can’t wait…:-/

Posted by: dybryd.1358

dybryd.1358

Aren’t there 2 or 3 zones to pick from between 60-80…?

Yes.

I went straight to Orr because I thought I was supposed to, and only discovered Fireheart and Frostgorge post-cap.

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I only have any trouble with Orr when I first got there right around the launch date. That was because my gear sucked and I didn’t know what to expect. Also I was running solo. Now I feel like I can solo the world. I do. Most of safe passage through Orr is just knowing where to run and when to dodge to make enemies fall on their face instead of pull you.

I like playing the zone now. A part of me wishes that the Risen would roam in groups though, rather than just dotted every fifteen feet.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Totally agree the map is just frustration…

Attachments:

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Nostromo.4126

Nostromo.4126

Doing things in Orr alone can be rough. I think it should be. Some WPs and SPs you just have to make some friends and go do…. On one hand, that’s pretty unfortunate if you’re trying to just log on and get some zone completion done w/o worrying about being social. I know…. it’s an MMO…. but some times, we all feel a little humbug, and Orr is not friendly to getting everything done solo, and asking in /map isn’t always productive. On the other hand…. zone completion in Orr rewards Exotics, so I don’t mind it being harder to finish…. I think Risk = Reward here.

To be fair, there are a number of SPs & other map items in lower level zones that simply can’t be done solo, within 1 or 2 levels of the mobs/event around them. Which is actually part of the appeal of GW2 as a mmo – even as a solo carebear most of the time, it’s only a very short while usually before someone comes along & wants to get the SP or kill the champ/boss at the event preventing you from getting to the SP or Commune totem, etc. It encourages & clearly rewards teamplay, even if you never party up or say a word to each other. Not (m)any other mmos like that. It’s almost restored my faith in online teamplay.

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

Instead of just decreasing the mobs in ORR, Anet could use this as a great opportunity for a spectacular event! Let us invade ORR and kill everything, but in the end we win because the respawn will be much less!

Posted by: Granz.4068

Granz.4068

Yeah I have to agree the zone is pretty bad.

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

“Everytime you’re knocked back, a risen gets his wings…”

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Posted by: azmodeus.3409

azmodeus.3409

i like orr, and have no trouble with the zones, keep it the way it is.

Posted by: TWMagimay.9057

TWMagimay.9057

Have you ever heard anybody say “Omg, I’d totally love to be attacked and dragged around by flesh-eating zombies! It just sounds like so much fun!”…cause I really haven’t…

Anyway…last night I discovered that the pull-fall mobs can 1shot me with that skill. Yeah…18k hp in 1 hit…I hate Orr.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Dropping a nuke on Orr will only make the Risen mutate and become bigger/faster (never played resident Evil?). I don’t see many green/red herbs in Tyria so lay of the nuke-age.

Posted by: Malvader.7502

Malvader.7502

Having played Online games since Ultima Online. Orr is one of the worst designed set of zones ever. The whole mess is not even in the ballpark of fun, Hell it’s not even in the parking lot, of the ballpark of fun, Just go to Frostgorge.

Posted by: Looria.8019

Looria.8019

Gotta love the Title of this thread
It so much sums up my thoughts while im running through this zone

Posted by: stormbringer.3706

stormbringer.3706

That isn’t hard, that is just down right annoying. Nuke Orr.

/agree

Also fix the respawn timer. It’s the most scrubby thing about the whole game. “You actually affect the world around you”. Yeah.. for like 0.5 seconds.

Posted by: DeathMetal.8264

DeathMetal.8264

There’s a merged thread about Orr:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Opinions-about-Orr-merged

As a lot of posters they say, it is doable, not annoying, fun, challenging. Of course, not everyone has the same taste so if some people loves Wasabi, others hated it with a passion.

Personally, I love Orr; the lore, the loot, the karma, the DE, etc. etc. But like I said, thread’s already been merged for feedback in Orr…

Lv80 Thief |Mesmer |Necromancer|Ranger|Guardian|Warrior|Elementalist|Engineer
[Aeon of Wonder]
Maguuma Server

Posted by: Looria.8019

Looria.8019

There’s a merged thread about Orr:

As a lot of posters they say, it is doable, not annoying, fun, challenging. Of course, not everyone has the same taste so if some people loves Wasabi, others hated it with a passion.

Personally, I love Orr; the lore, the loot, the karma, the DE, etc. etc. But like I said, thread’s already been merged for feedback in Orr…

Yea but this thread is different. This thread is requesting dropping nuke on Orr!

Posted by: Moderator.3964

Moderator.3964

Please post your opinions about Orr in the following thread in order to concentrate your feedback and keep the forum clean.

Thanks for your understanding.