Please fix the Legendary Acquisition Sy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Call me bitter but after finishing a legendary, I sure as hell don’t want the journey to be easier for others in the future after all the botched pug runs I had to suffer through.

By the power invested in my by nobodyinparticular, I hearby dub thee, Sir ’Bitter" the Un-Apologetic! Go forth and display thy Weapon of woe proudly!

Lmao I shall! I love my howler. LOVE IT!

But I have post traumatic stress when I think about the spider queen and graveling burrows now. Its a fair trade off.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Some Guy has Every Legendary , he either A, flipped trade post or B, its bill gates Son ..

The truth is, you don’t even need to be the son of Bill Gates to afford a legendary. Eternity, the most expensive legendary, only costs 735 USD, which is easily affordable for most middle class Americans.

$735? Wow… I guess I’m more lower class American than I thought then.

I am the only working income in my family… I am married with 2 kids. We are on a fixed income. I would be happy to pay a monthly fee of $15. However, I cannot drop more than that at a given time.

$735 is the equivalent of playing a $15 month game for 4 years.

Naïve people just irritate me.

That amount is doable for the people he was talking about. Is it worth it? No way!

Posted by: cakesphere.5910

cakesphere.5910

Some Guy has Every Legendary , he either A, flipped trade post or B, its bill gates Son ..

The truth is, you don’t even need to be the son of Bill Gates to afford a legendary. Eternity, the most expensive legendary, only costs 735 USD, which is easily affordable for most middle class Americans.

That’s most of a new computer. I don’t know any “middle class” American that would pay that much for a virtual item in a video game when you can get something tangible.

In my experience the people buying legendaries or any other extremely expensive virtual item have more dollars than sense. Not gonna lie, though, I bet it must be nice to have that much expendable income to drop down over 700 dollars on something that disappears when the game inevitably shuts down.

GS1’ing world bosses since 2013
#mesmerlyfe

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

That’s most of a new computer. I don’t know any “middle class” American that would pay that much for a virtual item in a video game when you can get something tangible.

In my experience the people buying legendaries or any other extremely expensive virtual item have more dollars than sense. Not gonna lie, though, I bet it must be nice to have that much expendable income to drop down over 700 dollars on something that disappears when the game inevitably shuts down.

Exactly. Most legendaries take 2-3 months of moderate PvE grind from what my calculations indicate. Unless you’re super rich, I wouldn’t spend all that money, I’d feel gross if I did that.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

Posted by: DarkSpirit.7046

DarkSpirit.7046

$735? Wow… I guess I’m more lower class American than I thought then.

I am the only working income in my family… I am married with 2 kids. We are on a fixed income. I would be happy to pay a monthly fee of $15. However, I cannot drop more than that at a given time.

$735 is the equivalent of playing a $15 month game for 4 years.

Naïve people just irritate me.

Or the price of a TV. I bought a small cheap one for $900+ which I found out that I don’t even need one. I assume most middle class people can afford a TV if they save up for 3 years since the game release. You only need to save about $20/month.

(edited by DarkSpirit.7046)

Posted by: cakesphere.5910

cakesphere.5910

The difference is that a TV is a physical object

GS1’ing world bosses since 2013
#mesmerlyfe

DarkSpirit.7046

The difference is that a TV is a physical object

The problem is, if you think about it, I had a Sony Trinitron, with Picture-in-Picture and the works, which I paid big bucks for many years back but I had to donate it to charity. Why? Because nobody wants a box TV anymore. That is how wasteful buying technology is. So much for spending on a physical object.

Since I don’t play any other games, spending $20/month on my entertainment budget is a small sum, especially since I don’t even have cable TV! I am too busy playing GW2 to watch TV. Do you know how much subscription people actually pay for cable?

Now don’t tell me that most middle class Americans cannot afford cable and don’t spend as much, if not more, on their entertainment.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Legendaries have gotten significantly more difficult. People who got them last year only had to do about 1/20th of the work that has to be done now. Prices are up ten fold but gold generation and overall drops in game have been cut in half in even the best of circumstances. Not saying if that’s a good or bad thing, but the legendaries are as hard as they are right now because they should feel legendary doesn’t hold much weight for me, considering the majority of legendaries floating around were quite easily made compared to what people venturing out to get them now are faced with.

You need to PROVE all of the above….you stating it does NOT make it fact nor even close to ACTUAL truth. Your perception of how “easy” or “hard” something is or “was” is only “the TRUTH” in your own mind (and I will agree that is all that matters for YOU).

I hope I’m no the only one here that thinks the above quoted paragraph is pure delusional tripe and in fact mostly the direct OPPOSITE of the current status of the game.

The only thing that may be “harder” is obtaining the Precursor.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: shion.2084

shion.2084

I personally think it would seem more “legendary” if you actually had to do something “legendary” to get the precursors. I don’t consider winning a lottery drop to be a “legendary” deed. Nor is playing the stockmarket well… at least for the given fantasy world context. Perhaps they should call them “marketary” items?

There is nothing to fix as It’s not “broken” as is evidenced by many players that actually have them.

Now if you want to request that they change the method (or add another), that is a valid discussion.

TBH, if casual “poor” players (which includes me) could get a Legendary easily, they would not be very “Legendary”.

Posted by: Lodius.5392

Lodius.5392

Legendaries have gotten significantly more difficult. People who got them last year only had to do about 1/20th of the work that has to be done now. Prices are up ten fold but gold generation and overall drops in game have been cut in half in even the best of circumstances. Not saying if that’s a good or bad thing, but the legendaries are as hard as they are right now because they should feel legendary doesn’t hold much weight for me, considering the majority of legendaries floating around were quite easily made compared to what people venturing out to get them now are faced with.

You need to PROVE all of the above….you stating it does NOT make it fact nor even close to ACTUAL truth. Your perception of how “easy” or “hard” something is or “was” is only “the TRUTH” in your own mind (and I will agree that is all that matters for YOU).

I hope I’m no the only one here that thinks the above quoted paragraph is pure delusional tripe and in fact mostly the direct OPPOSITE of the current status of the game.

So because your opinion disagrees with his opinion you are stating yours is the actual truth, but still based on no facts. You are racking him/her for making an opinionated statement, but are actually doing the same thing…. ^^

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

So because your opinion disagrees with his opinion you are stating yours is the actual truth, but still based on no facts. You are racking him/her for making an opinionated statement, but are actually doing the same thing…. ^^

Burden of proof falls on who is making the claim, not who is refuting it. Only after the one making the claim posts their proof to support there argument does the burden shift to the one refuting that claim.

Posted by: Boneheart.3561

Boneheart.3561

What was Brother Grimm’s opinion?

It seems Brother Grimm is pointing out a fictitious statement. It’s not an opinion when it’s factually incorrect, especially when stated as fact (lacking ‘I feel’, ‘I think’, ‘maybe’, ‘perhaps’, et cetera). You cannot disagree with fiction, it’s just not fact.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

A legendary can’t be a “long term goal”, because the longer you wait, the more expensive it gets.

Here’s the price of a Dusk over the months.
Jan 2013 – 539g
Jul 2013 – 679g
Jan 2014 – 899g
Jul 2014 – 1358g

If you want a legendary, you better buy it now, because in 6 months the price will double.

(edited by Katai.6240)

Posted by: ASP.8093

ASP.8093

1) We used to be able to farm Orr for a while to get drops (but no… let’s slap the community with DR)

Err, without DR, there’d be more gold in the economy and it’s just as likely that legendaries/precursors would become even more expensive.

3) Fine… I’ll do dungeon runs over and over for farming… (Don’t think so… let’s remove that aspect from the game as well… once a day only)

You can still run dungeons. Just can’t loop one easy path the whole day for good rewards.

Nemain The Eyeless · [JOY] · Tarnished Coast · http://tcwvw.com

Posted by: Curse Drew.8679

Curse Drew.8679

A legendary can’t be a “long term goal”, because the longer you wait, the more expensive it gets.

Here’s the price of a Dusk over the months.
Jan 2013 – 539g
Jul 2013 – 679g
Jan 2014 – 899g
Jul 2014 – 1358g

If you want a legendary, you better buy it now, because in 6 months the price will double.

Well we all know the gem/gold ratio is rising, and gold’s value is diminishing because there is more constantly being farmed.

Jan 2013 -1.8gold/100gems
Jul 2013 – 3gold/100gems
Jan 2014 – 7.5gold/100gems
Jul 2014 – 12gold/100gems

This means precursers are actually getting cheaper to buy with real money. Gold is so easy to earn anymore, and prices go higher to reflect the changes they made, earlier in the game gold wasn’t as easy to come by.

DarkSpirit.7046

I paid $900+ for a plasma TV a few years ago and it is now outdated. I bet that within 10 years, my TV would depreciate down to $0 and I could only donate it to charity, just like what happened to my Picture-in-Picture Sony Trinitron box TV. GW1 servers, on the other hand, are still running after 10 years.

Why not? Think about it, $735 savings over 3 years is only about $20/month. That is way less than your average cable TV bill and most middle class Americans easily spend more than that on entertainment.

I don’t have cable TV which I consider to be way more expensive than the GW2 gem store, so I might as well spend my money on the gem store for gold.

Furthermore, $735 is only the cost of the most expensive legendary available, instead of the average. The average legendary only costs about $400 which is only about $12/month over 3 years. You also didn’t take into account interest payments and return on investments of your savings over time.

Oh look another original post about from yet another self entitled player that wants everything to be easy for them.

Getting a legendary has always been easy, if you have the money.

Posted by: Lamir.6702

Lamir.6702

We just had the crown pavilion patch and you’re defending this statement?

I used to farm with a certain individual who just farming pavilion got enough money for around 9-10 legendaries in a month.

Posted by: Irrelevant.9723

Irrelevant.9723

I spent 3 months trying to grind out a precursor. Then tried the MF. Poor though, so I had to give up after spending only 80g. Burned out on the game. It’s just not fun trying to get that kitten precursor. I’m fine with all the other steps…

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Only? You’re going to sit there and say, for a “middle class” American, it’s only 735 dollars? I have gamer friends and even they would have me committed if I spent $735.00 on a sword for my MMO character, to say nothing of the divorce I’d be getting when my wife found out I spent nearly 85% of an entire paycheck on a pretend item in a pretend world. Wow do some people have no concept of the real world.

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

There is nothing to fix as It’s not “broken” as is evidenced by many players that actually have them.

Now if you want to request that they change the method (or add another), that is a valid discussion.

TBH, if casual “poor” players (which includes me) could get a Legendary easily, they would not be very “Legendary”.

Good lord I’m tired of hearing that.

Getting a Legendary shouldn’t be easy. That’s not the question. What’s under scrutiny is the exorbitant amount of gold required just to make one. They should be very expensive to buy, but not to just make. In traditional MMOs, players have two ways to acquire desirable upgrades:

- Buy them outright if they are rich enough.
- Take the long road and grind out the mats to make it themselves at minimal cost.

Problem is in GW2 there simply is no grinding for some things, like Lodestones for example. You can’t just go out and grind 4-5/hour a couple nights a week. Laurels do help with the T6 at least now, but those can’t be steadily ground out either from creatures. They simply have a low chance to be in a dropped bag.

Again, I am so stinking sick of people saying “too easy = not Legendary.” If I could reasonably and reliably grind out every single mat for a Legendary, I would gladly spend 2-5 months grinding off and on until I’ve amassed all that I need, buying what I can when I can to speed it up a little. Wishful thinking.

In today’s game, casual players can only afford one or the other: the precursor or the “rest of it.” They are left with nothing after coughing up the money for one of them. The precursor situation is absolutely horrifying. ANet has essentially let a small group of people run wild and take complete and total control over the precursor market to where they are absolutely unaffordable to the casual player. And the RNG to try it free is some of the most rubbish RNG I’ve ever seen in an MMO.

(edited by Woljnir.7810)

Posted by: Godric.3012

Godric.3012

I wish someone at arenanet could atleast tell us something about this situation. i’m going for a legendary , sure precursors are expensive. My probleme is that a don’t want to get a 1000gold precursor and get telled a few days later that a scavenger hunter or new legendarys are here.

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I stated my opinion as my belief, not as a “fact” that everyone MUST accept. I feel no need to “prove” my opinion to anyone as I’m not trying to convince anyone I’m right.

I’m smart enough to realize a few things here:

1. We do not have access to the data required to prove or disprove if it’s easier or harder to obtain a Legendary now or x time after release. There is some data we DO Have (others have listed it above) and those DO indicate it is at LEAST the same level of difficulty (in terms of gold purchase power, earning potential vs price / cost).
  2. Nothing I state here will ever convince someone it’s now easier to obtain a Legendary than ever before in the history of the game (my personal belief), so I’m not going to waste my time typing.
  3. The desire of someone to obtain a Legendary Weapon should have NO bearing on how hard or easy it is to actually obtain one. See # 2.

Asking Anet to make it “easier” to obtain a Legendary is not the same as (incorrectly, IMO) claiming the system is broken and MUST be fixed…..

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

If anet simply removed legendaries, nobody would have any problems with them.