in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

/bug

Please give the option to hide mounts

Posted by: Ravenflame.5890

Ravenflame.5890

However tyria and ESPECIALLY TOWNS, Mounts are (for some ppl) massively immersion breaking.

How is it breaking your immersion?

I don’t get how it is either. To me it is far more immersion breaking to imagine that Tyrian civilisation has existed for thousands of years and nobody thought of using animals for transport. Nah, the Charr have made tanks and there are airships and helecopters, the Asura came up with a frikken teleportation system but other than that, let’s just walk everywhere.

My immersion is also broken by how the second-most simplest weapon mankind has to offer, after the wooden club, the spear somehow doesn’t exist, but we made the mental leap to harpoons somehow…

Posted by: saalle.4623

saalle.4623

I want option to hide bunny ears,cat ears,flashy armors and weapons from the game,and quagans too….all immersion breaking.Ohh yeah,i want to hide rpers too,i don’t even wanna start about them.But yeah,i don’t want mounts in towns ether,at least out of Elona.

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

In the new expansion please give the option to hide mounts. Also give the option for us to do the story and get to places without using them. This is a win win people that want their mounts get them and the ones that dont won’t have to.
I was extremely excited the the expansion until I learned about the mounts. If this problem would be fixed I would be all abored the hype train again. I’m pretty sure a lot of the people that are unhappy with the mounts probably feel the same way.

what problem do you have with mounts? I wasn’t expecting them but i don’t see how they can hurt. Asking to remove them is like asking to remove the masteries. Why would a player close their mind to new additions to gameplay?

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

In the new expansion please give the option to hide mounts. Also give the option for us to do the story and get to places without using them. This is a win win people that want their mounts get them and the ones that dont won’t have to.
I was extremely excited the the expansion until I learned about the mounts. If this problem would be fixed I would be all abored the hype train again. I’m pretty sure a lot of the people that are unhappy with the mounts probably feel the same way.

what problem do you have with mounts? I wasn’t expecting them but i don’t see how they can hurt. Asking to remove them is like asking to remove the masteries. Why would a player close their mind to new additions to gameplay?

These aren’t even remotely the same thing. He’s not asking to remove mounts. HIDING a thing and removing them are entirely different things.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

What does “immersion” even mean any more? It seems to be bandied about every time someone disagrees with a creative choice…

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

Posted by: Aenesthesia.1697

Aenesthesia.1697

These aren’t even remotely the same thing. He’s not asking to remove mounts. HIDING a thing and removing them are entirely different things.

he is asking to hide them and remove the elements of gameplay that make them useful. He intends to play without mounts. For what purpose i don’t know. If it’s because of immersion, this game killed immersion forever when it introduced the waypoints in the storilyne.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

he is asking to hide them and remove the elements of gameplay that make them useful. He intends to play without mounts. For what purpose i don’t know. If it’s because of immersion, this game killed immersion forever when it introduced the waypoints in the storilyne.

Oh, I see. I should have read his post more thoroughly. I kinda confused it for another one that just asked to hide them. But, no he did say something about removing the need for them entirely. That’s a bit far fetched.

Sorry about that.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

And afk player on a mount… if that’s not immersion breaking then i don’t know what is.

A player with gaudy sparkly pulsing auras all over the place, with nonsense flappy wings on their back and all kinds of footstep effects you can think of while taking all that and coloring it black. That’s immersion breaking for me but I’ve learned to live with the fact that people have bad taste.

… mount harassement…

And this is what is wrong with the worlds today. People don’t know the definition of harassment so everything becomes harassment.

People not knowing the definition of harassment might very well be at the core of these horrible design descisions. You too would do well to look it up some day before you decide to use that statement to ridicule someones educated opinion.

Again, mounts are fine if barred from places like cities and such. But from the looks of it much effort has gone into getting it everywhere and none into finding out what the effect might be. Classic developers error by now.

WoW devs are, to this day, pulling out their hair for introducing flying mounts into a game where flying wasn’t possible until then. In Legion they went out of their way to bar the ability with achievements that were put behind time gates and patches. All because once given, the crowd rioted when they tried to take it out of the game again.

I wonder what introducing groundmounts will do to a game that was designed with none in mind.

But lets speak again in about 6 months when enough people are mounted to blot out local surroundings and NPC’s, and do so to be as obnoxious as possible because some people are like that.

Maybe by then you will grasp the true meaning of harassment …

Posted by: killermanjaro.5670

killermanjaro.5670

Although I am part of the group who isn’t looking forward to mounts and would rather they hadn’t been added to the game, it is just something we have to bite the bullet on and accept I’m afraid. Hiding mounts would neither be practicle (as others have mention you’d just see players floating above the ground which would look silly). And given the work that they’ve put into mounts, they will have designed the story and maps to utilise them, so it wouldn’t make sense for them to design or redesign the new content to be played without them just to please what appear to be the minority of us.

It’s just one of those things, everyone will have something in the game they don’t like, it’ll never be possible to please everyone so they have to please the majority, which is what they’ve done.

I am though hoping they do have mounts disabled in towns and around merchants, and crafting stations etc, as 20+ people on mounts grouped around a merchant is just going to look stupid!

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

You can’t interact with NPCs while mounted.
At least that’s what I thought I saw in the WP stream.

Unless intentionally doing so, if not auto dismounting after x minutes of afk I really don’t think we will see alot of afk mounted people around NPCs.

Basically like you only see gliders when you are actively gliding.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: SunTzu.4513

SunTzu.4513

Mhm the mounts seems to be dyeable. So we better get prepared for packs of pink raptors, bunnys and all the other types of mounts. Can’t wait to ride into battle on a bunny as necro who let rain pain and agony above all who steps into my path… But it’s a good deal, if i’m dressed coomplete in black evil looking clothes, riding toward my enemys on a pink bunny i do not have to use any skill. They will lay already on the ground if im arriving laughing their kitten into nowhere till they die on a overload of joy brougth by my appearance. So it’s time to put on wagner’s ride of the valkyries on the mediaplayer playlist an everything will be perfect.

Posted by: Hiwi Kiwi.7386

Hiwi Kiwi.7386

Hate to be blunt here.. but I will be the one to say what is on most people’s minds.. “Get over it.”

o.o;

" ’Cause in the end, all you really have are memories. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

I have played other ones and did not like it. I loved gw2 for not falling into the mount crowd. Gw2 never had mounts and it just ruins the immersion.

How does it break immersion more than if someone travels 200 km either on foot or via magical bling bling teleport?

Wouldn’t… you know… riding there be more natural?

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

Posted by: Meanma.5623

Meanma.5623

However tyria and ESPECIALLY TOWNS, Mounts are (for some ppl) massively immersion breaking.

I don’t get how it is either. To me it is far more immersion breaking to imagine that Tyrian civilisation has existed for thousands of years and nobody thought of using animals for transport. Nah, the Charr have made tanks and there are airships and helecopters, the Asura came up with a frikken teleportation system but other than that, let’s just walk everywhere.

“So, Jaren, I have been thinking… what if we made, like, REALLY big rakes and tied them to one of those dolyaks over there?”

“What for?”

“They could pull them around the field and make our job easier! It would be like if there were, uh, three… no, FOUR of you, each with a rake. But instead of four Jarens with four rakes it would just be one dolyak and one rake. We could call it ploughing.”

“By Melandru’s sweet bosom, that’s the stupidest thing I ever heard. Next thing you’ll be suggesting that we hop on the smelly beasts and RIDE them. Good grief!”

“But that would make it faste-”

“Shut up, Vance. You’re drunk again, aren’t you? Get some shut-eye and don’t let me hear you babbling about any of this ploughing and animal riding nonsense again.”

Thus it came to be that the denizens of Tyria continued to plow their fields by hand and walk everywhere. You, dear reader, might think that the denizens of Tyria must be utterly stupid but they just really care about immersion. Bless their overworked hearts.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Only if upon hiding mounts you see the people riding them as bouncing through the air while making raptor noises.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Why don’t we try things before automatically assuming that we hate them?

And also maybe, I dunno, let people like things? (It’s something I’m working on these days. :P) Not every facet of a game needs to cater specifically to every user ever.

I loathed Adventures as choppy, trash-tier content. Others like it. Cool for them, and I’ll wish for their happiness by wishing for those Adventures to be better tuned instead of insisting on their removal.

I loathe WvW. It’s boring and frustrating. If I could pay someone else 100g to farm a Gift of Battle, it’d be the best for both me and the seller. Maybe even have a “Draft Dodger” achievement for buying one. I’unno. But that doesn’t exist, so I suck it up and go to WvW for what I need.

If one doesn’t like mounts, that’s what you do. You endure, and the hope is it’ll suck just not enough, and maybe you’ll actually like it. (But really though, no mounts in cities…)

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

“So, Jaren, I have been thinking… what if we made, like, REALLY big rakes and tied them to one of those dolyaks over there?”

“What for?”

“They could pull them around the field and make our job easier! It would be like if there were, uh, three… no, FOUR of you, each with a rake. But instead of four Jarens with four rakes it would just be one dolyak and one rake. We could call it ploughing.”

“By Melandru’s sweet bosom, that’s the stupidest thing I ever heard. Next thing you’ll be suggesting that we hop on the smelly beasts and RIDE them. Good grief!”

“But that would make it faste-”

“Shut up, Vance. You’re drunk again, aren’t you? Get some shut-eye and don’t let me hear you babbling about any of this ploughing and animal riding nonsense again.”

Thus it came to be that the denizens of Tyria continued to plow their fields by hand and walk everywhere. You, dear reader, might think that the denizens of Tyria must be utterly stupid but they just really care about immersion. Bless their overworked hearts.

And now we know, Humans were what was holding back mounts.

Posted by: Mala.3861

Mala.3861

I am hoping they disable mounts in towns just like gliding is disabled in some areas. I am looking forward to mounts out in the open world but in towns it is nothing but an annoyance. Most of us already have experience with mounts standing at a bank, a trading post, etc. so we don’t have to “wait and see” how it will be. We know.

Please, Anet, if there is any way you can do this, it will save a lot of bad feelings and harrassment of other players.

Posted by: Liam.6987

Liam.6987

Yeah, wouldn’t want those mounts to break your immersion /s

Attachments:

hahameisnerd

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

O please do this ….. For myself I would have many laugh of random people floating in air look like there ridding and invisible horse fly high speed and don’t get me started on the rabbit

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

Leo G.4501

…don’t get me started on the rabbit

We’ll call it “Violent thrusting”. I want that on my Asura Warrior.

Posted by: vonbladewing.5973

vonbladewing.5973

Dude was going to call it Charr Taco Tuesday with Asura experimental rocket beans

Captain Commander of a Sky Edge Piracy

Posted by: Ravenflame.5890

Ravenflame.5890

Yeah, wouldn’t want those mounts to break your immersion /s

Ugh, I know right? Let’s talk about THIS first.

Leo G.4501

Dude was going to call it Charr Taco Tuesday with Asura experimental rocket beans

Only for engineers…reason? Because.

Posted by: Mogsterfortytwo.6712

Mogsterfortytwo.6712

FFXIV forces you to get off your mount and you can’t get on your mount in certain areas they know lots of people will be. I could imagine the same thing with GW2. You can’t get on your mount and you would be automatically dismounted should you enter Lion’s Arch or any racial city.

Should you be allowed to have mounts in Core Tyria or HoT maps. They haven’t said you can, which may mean they haven’t decided yet.

If you had watched the following show with Wooden Potato, you wouldn’t have made that misinformed reply, here’s the bottom line, mounts can go all over Tyria, just as gliding is, speaking of gliding it can also be used in the desert. Mounts have only one spell once used it dismount you so you can fight or rez then you are free to get back on
or proceed on foot.

Except WP ran past a massive ‘no riding’ sign with a picture of a raptor on it on the way into town. I think a forced dismount wall there is more likely than a hopeful suggestion from the devs.

Posted by: Perisemiotics.4579

Perisemiotics.4579

I am also of the opinion that mounts should NOT be allowed in major towns/cities, or at the very least the most crowded areas of them like bank, TP, crafting stations, etc. The simple reason is to reduce visual pollution and extreme clutter that’ll make it impossible to see environment and NPCs.

Also, I was very disappointed to learn a spider mount was ruled out – they’re such natural denizens of the desert and perfect to have the vertical jump ability… now, where did that bunny/badger springer come from, exactly? Seriously…

Posted by: Rinn.2375

Rinn.2375

I remember the time, when they put in the /wings emote in GW1. There are endless wing-parties in the big cities (mostly Spamadan )… for a few days. Guess what, two months later rarely see anyone to use that emote.
GW2 has a few similar stories too (khmmmentortag…khmm)
:D

Ad astra per asperas

Posted by: serialkicker.5274

serialkicker.5274

Then I want an option to hide wings and mute all the minis.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Wait hide mounts? Really? Nope it’s not a backpack or a shield.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It’s possible the mounts when ridden are not separate from the player. There’s a whirl animation and the player disappears and the mounted player appears. It might be like the mounted NPC’s in HoT. Apparently they’re one creature, not an NPC on a separate mount. If the player becomes like that then it won’t be possible to hide mounts separately.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: AuroraW.7149

AuroraW.7149

Well, yes, there have been mount talks before and I never bothered. Mostly because I couldnt imagine that Anet would give into the mount-crowd. Now everything is different and I just have to add my 2 cents: First, I have nothing against mounts in MMO’s in general. I can see the certain role of mounts in Elona and I understand Anets approach of including mounts into the mastery system. What really annoys me about mounts in GW2 is not the presence of mounts itself, but how people are going to use them. I have watched lots of MMO’s during the past years and in every single MMO with mounts, people are using them constantly, even in the most useless situations. If possible, they would even ride to the loo with them. :-P Mounts cluster all places in these MMO’s and they downgrade the games somehow. Turning them into a silly kindergarten, where there could be graphic beauty and depth.

Booga: I took the bullets out of their guns. That was smart, huh?
Tank Girl: Booga, that was very smart.
Gath Gealaich | Rémi Heltzer [GN] – Elona [D]

Posted by: zomgbuffalo.5276

zomgbuffalo.5276

You will have to deal with it. Mounts are the best thing this game could’ve went towards. Love the idea, was waiting for it and now I want official 2v2 arenas.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Also, I was very disappointed to learn a spider mount was ruled out – they’re such natural denizens of the desert and perfect to have the vertical jump ability… now, where did that bunny/badger springer come from, exactly? Seriously…

Kangaroo rats.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Kangaroo rats.

Yah. I was thinking maybe Jerboa, but kangaroo rat is closer.

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Or maybe a Springhare

Attachments:

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: AuroraW.7149

AuroraW.7149

We just have to wait until the “must-ace-the-content-in-10-minutes” faction / “mount caravan” pushed along and all new areas are deserted again. Then, we finally will have leisure time to enjoy the hard work of the map designer. ;-)

Booga: I took the bullets out of their guns. That was smart, huh?
Tank Girl: Booga, that was very smart.
Gath Gealaich | Rémi Heltzer [GN] – Elona [D]

Posted by: Perisemiotics.4579

Perisemiotics.4579

Kangaroo rats.

Or maybe a Springhare

Alright guys, that makes sense… I hadn’t thought of a spring-hare really – it looks like just what is going to be in the game.
I suppose with the other 3 mounts being somewhat on the ogreish side it was deliberate to pick a “bunny look-alike” as well to balance out the sensibilities.

Posted by: Fancypants.9705

Fancypants.9705

Hide a mount? just don’t summon one then. If your saying you don’t even want to see them running around, youll just be seeing a lot of players that look like they are riding an invisible broomstick.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

Hide a mount? just don’t summon one then. If your saying you don’t even want to see them running around, youll just be seeing a lot of players that look like they are riding an invisible broomstick.

And ultimately that would work for me. If it’s as simple as a hot key, I can use it when I need it and stow it the rest of the time . I’ll make sure I run in the slow lane!

(edited by notebene.3190)

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

Kangaroo rats.

It makes me think of the Yata mount in ArcheAge.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Well, yes, there have been mount talks before and I never bothered. Mostly because I couldnt imagine that Anet would give into the mount-crowd. Now everything is different and I just have to add my 2 cents: First, I have nothing against mounts in MMO’s in general. I can see the certain role of mounts in Elona and I understand Anets approach of including mounts into the mastery system. What really annoys me about mounts in GW2 is not the presence of mounts itself, but how people are going to use them. I have watched lots of MMO’s during the past years and in every single MMO with mounts, people are using them constantly, even in the most useless situations. If possible, they would even ride to the loo with them. :-P Mounts cluster all places in these MMO’s and they downgrade the games somehow. Turning them into a silly kindergarten, where there could be graphic beauty and depth.

Couldn’t have worded it better. I’m not against people using mounts (still dislike them), however, people will use them in such unnatural/unethical manner inside buildings, ultra thin pathways (that it would fall off) etc, that it will ‘graphically’ kill the crap out of the immersion of the game.

What bothers me is the silence of Anet. They know it’s a huge leap of faith (topic was filled with conclusion (and other opionons) that it doens’t fit in gw2. Now they backstabbed all those people with that opinion. Now that stuff happens in Mmo’s. But they are even ignoring them atm, and not even considering to say ‘maybe we will do something for the mount disliking people’. Nope pure silence. When they very well knew it would shoot in some ppl’s back. I’m still debating Ultimate versus normal edition of path of flame. It’s no blackmailing (just a choice of conscience). But if Anet can’t even put the words out ‘we might be able without promising anything, to lessen the pain for people who dislike mounts’, then they truly are ignorant. And nothing is worse then being completely ignored. They listened often in past, especially for easy to implement stuff. MO even say best way for game to get better if by the power of the word (people telling others how good it is). Not best way to get started if all mount disliking people probably will not make good mouth to mouth advertisment.

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

(edited by Phoebe Ascension.8437)

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

Its fascinating to see how far will ppl go (or rp) to get their point (that mounts suck) across :P

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

In my opinion, they already gave in to the clutter and immersion breaking stuff when they gotten into winged backitems/gliders. Because everyone wants to be a fake tengu/ fake angel.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

zealex.9410

Couldn’t have worded it better. I’m not against people using mounts (still dislike them), however, people will use them in such unnatural/unethical manner inside buildings, ultra thing pathways (that it would fall off) etc, that it will ‘graphically’ kill the crap out of the immersion of the game.

The immersion that isnt there because teleporting devices?

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Couldn’t have worded it better. I’m not against people using mounts (still dislike them), however, people will use them in such unnatural/unethical manner inside buildings, ultra thing pathways (that it would fall off) etc, that it will ‘graphically’ kill the crap out of the immersion of the game.

When I see people using the word “immersion” I just mentally substitute it with “my enjoyment” and then their statements make sense. /shrug

zealex.9410

When I see people using the word “immersion” I just mentally substitute it with “my enjoyment” and then their statements make sense. /shrug

Pretty much :/

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

The immersion that isn’t there because teleporting devices?

Well, Waypoints are actually a canon thing. Had that whole bit during Season 2 about waypoints being attacked by tendrils.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Well, Waypoints are actually a canon thing. Had that whole bit during Season 2 about waypoints being attacked by tendrils.

That’s a self-defeating argument. These mounts are going to be explained in-story too, making them just as canon as waypoints according to your logic.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

That’s a self-defeating argument. These mounts are going to be explained in-story too, making them just as canon as waypoints according to your logic.

And there you are. I said in my post that i can live with mounts. Especially in Elona. Cause they make sense. They make story there. However, as WoodenPotatoes clearly said in the campaign vid: He likes that tyria and elona have a distinction. Tyria learned to rely on magic (helo there waypoint, helo no loophole). Elona learned to rely on mounts (creatures). End good al good not? But for the love of god they had to trample tyria wich is used to magic, not mounts. That is immersion breaking. Especially in such a fast and brutal pace. But the worst of all: Mounts cannot be explained in town (except maybe FAR away from any npc and building, wich would limit space severely – better just not allow at all). Most book/medieval times sources show that horses are stables OUTSIDE the city. You walk there, then get out again and pick the horse from the stable. Thats story, that’s reality. Mounts zoo spamming la? Nope. That is immersion breaking. Go ahead and mount in Elona. No problem for me. It’s immersive there. In tyria? Up for debate. In town? Definitely leaning heavy toward: Not a good idea. Not for immersion. Not for clutter. Not for Lag. Not for Load times. Not for ethics (in real life, mounts are stabled quickly as well in cities, or they would do the ‘naughty’ thing on the floor all the time).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.