Please make Legendaries unsellable

in Suggestions

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

As the title says.

The purpose of a Legendary is to be something special, something you had to put a lot of work in.
Not just a lot of money.
Now, since they can be sold on the TP, everyone can buy them with a kittenload of money
(and those people will mostly buy the gold from 3rd Party sellers )

Instead, you could make them Bind-On-Pickup and Accountbound

I think many players will agree with this.

PS: sry for my english, it isn’t my mother tongue

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

in Suggestions

Posted by: InfernoX.9638

InfernoX.9638

I Agree Make Them Soulbound On Acquire

Commander Rave King – Yak’s Bend

in Suggestions

Posted by: phlemhacker.1372

phlemhacker.1372

I don’t really have a problem with this. If someone wants to spend a crap load of money on a fancy sword in the game, that’s their business. Some people may not have the time to put into getting a Legendary, so why should they be left out? They aren’t getting an unfair advantage by buying one.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

The purpose of a Legendary is to be something special, something you had to put a lot of work in.

In other words, something easy that just requires a lot of grind.

There is nothing hard in acquiring a Legendary. It’s just a matter of grinding a lot.

Well, guess what? The requirement to get a lot of gold so you can buy a Legendary in the TP is… Grinding a lot! See a pattern here?

ArenaNet should change Legendary acquisition so it isn’t a reward for something as easy and as mindless as grind, and then make them unsellable. As things are, though, Legendary grinders are not any better than gold grinders.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Suggestions

Posted by: QtHuynh.1893

QtHuynh.1893

I don’t see any problem with selling legendaries.

in Suggestions

Posted by: QtHuynh.1893

QtHuynh.1893

In other words, something easy that just requires a lot of grind.

There is nothing hard in acquiring a Legendary. It’s just a matter of grinding a lot.

Well, guess what? The requirement to get a lot of gold so you can buy a Legendary in the TP is… Grinding a lot! See a pattern here?

ArenaNet should change Legendary acquisition so it isn’t a reward for something as easy and as mindless as grind, and then make them unsellable. As things are, though, Legendary grinders are not any better than gold grinders.

Tell me any MMO which doesn’t require “grind”? In fact, you grind everyday in your real life, going to work everyday. So it’s no point of digging “grind” everytime you want to post. It’s boring.

(edited by QtHuynh.1893)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Tell me any MMO which doesn’t require “grind”?

Tell me any MMO without the holy Trinity?

Tell me any MMO without quests?

And so on, and so on. The worst thing about MMOs are the MMO players themselves, who are stuck on the same old, same old.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

in Suggestions

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Someone still put in a ton of work. I don’t care if someone else pays them for that work… it has no effect on my game whatsoever.

#TeamJadeQuarry

in Suggestions

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

But if you don’t want to go through the trouble to get a legendary, maybe you don’t rate a legendary?

Whispers with meat.

in Suggestions

Posted by: PowerCat.5738

PowerCat.5738

I have a crazy conspiracy theory that arenanet put up those legendaries for extra money. I mean some people with way too much money could be naive enough to purchase gems to gold

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gandolfi.1507

Gandolfi.1507

I don’t feel that strongly about this, but I can see that having legendaries on sale adds incentive for some people to use gold sellers etc.

But I’d rather see them account bound, not soulbound. At least this way you’ll have the option to swap between characters – especially if over the long term you come to favour a different character, or new races & professions are released.

Godrik Gandolfi – human warrior; Lucius Foestabber – charr reaper
The Path Least Travelled, Gunnar’s Hold

in Suggestions

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

As the title says.

Not just a lot of money.
Now, since they can be sold on the TP, everyone can buy them with a kittenload of money

Just pixels man, sorry. Nothing special about them, and if you got one for any other reason than “you liked it” you did it for the wrong reasons.

ArenaNet knows they can sell gold for cash, and people will buy that gold to buy the Legendaries that people build…it’s win/win for them.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Lunar Sunset.8742

Lunar Sunset.8742

They were always like this… people who have legendaries most likely bought the materials to make it…Really the ONLY had to do 100% world completion…and 500 WvW badges/Dungeon tokens…It was never hard to get those things. Just join a huge guild and they’ll have a portal mesmer do it for you everyday or daily guild runs…nothing took skill…just money. If you never saw that in the first place…>.>… is all I have to say to you

Sunset
50/50 GWAMM x3
I quit how I want

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gord.8654

Gord.8654

I don’t feel that strongly about this, but I can see that having legendaries on sale adds incentive for some people to use gold sellers etc.

But I’d rather see them account bound, not soulbound. At least this way you’ll have the option to swap between characters – especially if over the long term you come to favour a different character, or new races & professions are released.

Twilight is listed at 9500g…. rediculous but whatever it will serve as my example!!

My math MAY be off… it is Saturday after all! But as I figured it 9500g = 63,333 Gems (if the gems are trading in at 1.5g/100). 63,333 gems from Anet costs about $791.66. To buy 9500g from the gold sellers costs $2,965.69 o.O (with the added stress of almost certain banning…. that is a lot of gold!!!). Please feel free to correct the math if needed that just seems to be obviously rediculous to me!

Even if my math is off… no way is any weapon worth that much real money!!! I don’t think you have to worry about that!!

Host of SOTD Podcast www.sotdpodcastblog.wordpress.com

in Suggestions

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

I think that there is an advantage to legendary weapons. They are grind proof. Anet stated that they will continue to be BIS no matter what in perpetuity including agony ect. So the stat bumps will continue whenever a new tier of gear is released which is about 7 months.
Since we dont know how hard the new weapons will be to obtain I expect it to be like now in fracs. RNG dungeon running only.
I see that as a huge advantage over someone who doesnt have one.
So if someone wants to buy that advantage I say let them. It means they probably got gems ->gold for it.
I would also like to see it in the cash shop with a little bump in stats over others cause it is also purchased with RLmoney.
You should get a bonus for supporting anet and giving them real money outside the box fee.
(like ascend gear – the stat boost is meaningless so a RLM Legendary has a meaningless stat boost as well)

(edited by Narkosys.5173)

in Suggestions

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

I think that there is an advantage to legendary weapons. They are grind proof. Anet stated that they will continue to be BIS no matter what in perpetuity including agony ect. So the stat bumps will continue whenever a new tier of gear is released which is about 7 months.
Since we dont know how hard the new weapons will be to obtain I expect it to be like now in fracs. RNG dungeon running only.
I see that as a huge advantage over someone who doesnt have one.
So if someone wants to buy that advantage I say let them. It means they probably got gems ->gold for it.
I would also like to see it in the cash shop with a little bump in stats over others cause it is also purchased with RLmoney.
You should get a bonus for supporting anet and giving them real money outside the box fee.
(like ascend gear – the stat boost is meaningless so a RLM Legendary has a meaningless stat boost as well)

BiS ? Hardly, fast comparison between bis exotic and the so called bis legendary –
Let’s compare :
Berserker’s Destroyer Dagger
Weapon Strength: 923 – 981
+90 Power
+64 Precision
+5% Critcal Damage

over the Legendary Incinerator :
Weapon Strength: 1000 – 1062
+98 Power
+70 Toughness
+70 Vitality

Except the obvious damage boost the stats are awfull . 70 toughness on a thief ? And vit > precision, loss of crit ? No Sir , im gonna say just meh. I don’t know about the numbers on the other weps but the legendary dagger is hardly legendary by it’s stats.

play hard , go pro.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Flysofar.3182

Flysofar.3182

Agree with account bound on acquire

in Suggestions

Posted by: MoltenX.5309

MoltenX.5309

I totally agree, it is suppose to be account bound and not be able to sell.
It is suppose to be something special and not just buy… I hope this doesn’t become one of those PtW games….

in Suggestions

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

While I agree that a legendary should feel like a proper accomplishment, mine certainly didn’t. At least, it took no real effort. It just took an excruciatingly long period of time.

That said, taking them off the TP will certainly take gold sellers out of the spotlight.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

in Suggestions

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I agree, at least these legendary weapons should be tradable/BLTP-able.

The founding principle of this game is you can get top gear a variety of ways (drop/craft/tokens/karma/gold).

One way to get what you want is to buy it. It’s a cash-game, from the ground up. You can paypal your way to 80, too, if you like.

To change the rule about legendary being BLTP-able would be really rude to the people who’ve come this far along, hoping to sell one.

If future gear on the legendary tier were BOAcquire, I think that’d be fine. I would hope that to go along with it, they’d be a lot less BLTP-intensive in acquisition.

in Suggestions

mulch.2586

It is suppose to be something special and not just buy… I hope this doesn’t become one of those PtW games….

It’s not pay to win because there’s nothing you can buy that’s better than what you’d get by playing the game.

in Suggestions

Posted by: azurrei.5691

azurrei.5691

Tell me any MMO which doesn’t require “grind”?

Tell me any MMO without the holy Trinity?

Tell me any MMO without quests?

And so on, and so on. The worst thing about MMOs are the MMO players themselves, who are stuck on the same old, same old.

There are no MMO’s without grind, but plenty where the grind is a lot more entertaining than do the same 4 events over and over again in a loop for little to no rewards.

I’m not sure death zerging is more engaging than having the “holy trinity”

Hearts ARE quests that have multiple ways to complete and do not require you to talk to a quest giver… nothing revolutionary to see here just smoke and mirrors.

in Suggestions

azurrei.5691

It’s not pay to win because there’s nothing you can buy that’s better than what you’d get by playing the game.

So, they should just put dungeon armor in the gem shop because I can earn that in the game? Please think about what you just said…

Spending 5 minutes on converting gems—>gold is apparently the same as spending 1000 hours in game to actually earn something

Legendaries, like 99% of everything in this game, have no value because they can be bought with real money

(edited by azurrei.5691)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

Please make Legendaries require a little bit of skill.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Danno.5269

Danno.5269

I don’t really care if they sell them on the TP or not. If someone is willing to pay, so be it.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Silver Halliwell.4735

Silver Halliwell.4735

While I agree that a legendary should feel like a proper accomplishment, mine certainly didn’t. At least, it took no real effort. It just took an excruciatingly long period of time.

That said, taking them off the TP will certainly take gold sellers out of the spotlight.

Please tell me that you are a troll. The game is just barely 3 months old. You do not even have the first clue about what excruciatingly long period of grind is if you consider 3 month that bad. I have done grind for about 18 months for a piece of gear that never dropped. Yes, a year and a half of a dungeon that you could only do once every 24 hours. Not every “new game day,” REAL LIFE 24 hours. I will save you the math, that is 547 dungeon runs and I NEVER got the piece of gear. You want to talk about excruciatingly long, bring me a 2 year grind then we will talk, otherwise just LOL.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gilosean.3805

Gilosean.3805

I’m all for the legendaries being tradeable. If you don’t have the cash, oh well. There are cheaper ways to get a legendary than buying it on the TP. If someone does have the cash, fine. IRL you can buy a personal jet if you have the money. Why not in game?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

But if you don’t want to go through the trouble to get a legendary, maybe you don’t rate a legendary?

Maybe if you go through the trouble of getting a Legendry, you don’t rate getting snooty about a mass of pixels.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Plague.6723

Plague.6723

There soul bound on use, whats the problem?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Fook.3914

Fook.3914

Legendary should remain sellable, some people does not want legendary so they can sell it. i would sell it and make gold and spend on other things making me playing new toon with no worries for income. its been so long since release why bring up the topic now? just because someone order or sell their at legend at TP?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Gisei.5749

Gisei.5749

The only real obstacle to a legendary is gold. Whether you obtain it from the TP or you craft it. Nothing has changed.

~Sorrow’s Furnace~
Guardian

in Suggestions

Posted by: InfernoX.9638

InfernoX.9638

Yes that is actually better, I’m just so use to playing 1 character I forgot about accountbound/soulbound difference

Commander Rave King – Yak’s Bend

in Suggestions

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

I have a crazy conspiracy theory that arenanet put up those legendaries for extra money. I mean some people with way too much money could be naive enough to purchase gems to gold

I would be more inclined to think its actuallyAN that has the Bots farming the mats and selling the items – nothing better than to be able to manipulate the price points in game so that players at both end of the spectrum can be herded in to buying Gems / Gold for real money from the TP.

I mean many MMO’s utilise third parties to pipe up their own and others forums, why not also develop a game that is so unrestrictive to hackers and exploiters and utilise a third party goldfarming facility to help support the real $$ intake alongside your TP…
Anyone else for a pint of conspiracy this evening

in Suggestions

Posted by: phlemhacker.1372

phlemhacker.1372

No, not even a little.

in Suggestions

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Please tell me that you are a troll. The game is just barely 3 months old. You do not even have the first clue about what excruciatingly long period of grind is if you consider 3 month that bad. I have done grind for about 18 months for a piece of gear that never dropped. Yes, a year and a half of a dungeon that you could only do once every 24 hours. Not every “new game day,” REAL LIFE 24 hours. I will save you the math, that is 547 dungeon runs and I NEVER got the piece of gear. You want to talk about excruciatingly long, bring me a 2 year grind then we will talk, otherwise just LOL.

Oh, pardon me for not being as “SUPER UBER HARDCORE” as you. You should have your superiority complex looked at. Yes, 3 months being active and focused 10 hours a day IS an excruciatingly painful amount of time (1200 hours-ish in total) from my perspective. So you don’t think so? Boo-hoo. Am I supposed to care? Am I really supposed give a single toss about what you think about that, when it’s not even the main focus of the point I tried to make in the post? Get over yourself.

I don’t understand where even a modicum of “trolling” could possibly appear in my statements. You’re simply being an elitist moron.

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

(edited by Auesis.7301)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I find the Legendaries on the Trading Post kind of hilarious. Somebody calculated just how much 9000 gold would be in gems, with it coming out to something like six thousand dollars.

If somebody wants to drop six grand on a fancy-looking weapon, that’s their business.
If somebody wants to spend months getting the fancy-looking weapon to put on the Trading Post, that is also their business.
Not going to enter the debate about whether it requires skill or not to get a Legendary, but I am going to point out that by going “Don’t let people sell Legendaries on the Trading Post,” you’re essentially saying “Don’t let people use their skills to make money by selling things they don’t want,” if you’re of the opinion that it does require skill to make a Legendary (or so it seems to me).

in Suggestions

mulch.2586

So, they should just put dungeon armor in the gem shop because I can earn that in the game? Please think about what you just said…

Spending 5 minutes on converting gems—>gold is apparently the same as spending 1000 hours in game to actually earn something

Legendaries, like 99% of everything in this game, have no value because they can be bought with real money

I didn’t say they should put dungeon armor in the gem shop, so shut up about that.

I didn’t say that spending 5 minutes on converting gems to gold is the same as 1000 hrs in game, so shut up about that.

All I said is it’s not pay to win because you can’t buy anything better than what’s easily obtained in game. A legendary weapon is just fancy looking, not in any way better statistically.

The way GW2 is set up, if it’s something that involves the economy, you have several ways to get it, one of which is spend gold. Legendaries are almost all about TP.

in Suggestions

Plague.6723

I have say if a Legendary was just only 50 gold past the lowest exotic price I would not buy it. The stats are not worth it, it’s nearly purely cosmetic. This game keeps things pretty well balanced by releasing new items that are basically the same stats as the ones previous. Guild Wars 2 is not much of a Pay2win compared to real pay2win games. There is really not much to complain about here.

in Suggestions

azurrei.5691

I didn’t say they should put dungeon armor in the gem shop, so shut up about that.

I didn’t say that spending 5 minutes on converting gems to gold is the same as 1000 hrs in game, so shut up about that.

All I said is it’s not pay to win because you can’t buy anything better than what’s easily obtained in game. A legendary weapon is just fancy looking, not in any way better statistically.

The way GW2 is set up, if it’s something that involves the economy, you have several ways to get it, one of which is spend gold. Legendaries are almost all about TP.

I think the issue here is Arena Net is getting around the whole P2W issue because all the stats are the same as a normal exotic (until ascended weapons come out…). In other MMO’s, being more powerful (and sometimes cooler looking gear) than the other guy is a way to stand out and show that you put some work into your character. In GW2, having the super rare, cool looking armor or weapons (i.e. Legendaries) are the way to stand out and show that you put some work into your character…except you can just buy that look with real money – so in essence, it IS pay2win within the GW2 universe. The sooner people realize what is actually going on here, the better.

in Suggestions

Plague.6723

I think the issue here is Arena Net is getting around the whole P2W issue because all the stats are the same as a normal exotic (until ascended weapons come out…). In other MMO’s, being more powerful (and sometimes cooler looking gear) than the other guy is a way to stand out and show that you put some work into your character. In GW2, having the super rare, cool looking armor or weapons (i.e. Legendaries) are the way to stand out and show that you put some work into your character…except you can just buy that look with real money – so in essence, it IS pay2win within the GW2 universe. The sooner people realize what is actually going on here, the better.

Real pay2win games force you to use the shop to even compete. Most other mmo’s release new gear and suddenly you have no choice but to get it because the differences are more often then not; extreme in comparison. For some thing to be Pay2Win the end result item has to say “I Win”. Legendary weapons in Guild Wars 2 are cosmetic. If someone wants to pay lots of money or work really hard for lets say a brand new pair of shoes what does it matter lol. ANET are genius, they have found a way to get fanatics to spend thousands of dollars while keeping a game completely non Pay2Win at the same time. A flawless mix of the two making them money while keeping the mast majority of the community happy. Casual players don’t feel the pressure to get wrapped up in the grind. Crazy fanatics have something to do or spend allot of money on. Need i say more?

in Suggestions

Posted by: Genesis.5169

Genesis.5169

It’s basically people who already have legendarily don’t want people to use it too. Thats pretty much it.

No one is forcing you to buy the legendary.
No one is forcing you to make one either.
Yet the complaints.

Ofcourse this is just my humble opinion.

These forums are a joke its not for opinions or debate its just a safe place for people to cry at.

in Suggestions

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Id sign this. Kind of..dumb to see a legendary for 1500-3000 gold, or whatever they are going for. Who has that much money? Im against legendaries being sold on the market.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

in Suggestions

Posted by: ShinraGuardian.8053

ShinraGuardian.8053

I don’t even know how people get thousands of gold. Either there is some completely obvious way I am just not seeing or there is something else going on. I spent literally a week trying to sit there and farm events or t6 crafting materials and I just can’t do it because of how awful it is, so I resort to doing dungeons because those are atleast somewhat fun.

Dragonbrand
Elementalist
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]

in Suggestions

Posted by: Odd Magnet.3970

Odd Magnet.3970

To the people who think i’m just mad because i worked for mine, i’m not.
(i don’t have one yet, but soon)

It just disturbs me, that you can just buy them with real money.
The bigger problem is, that no one will get the gold through gem→gold, almost every Legendary buyer who “bought it from real money” used gold sellers
Or they used exploits
I see way too much people running around with legendaries, some even with multiple legendaries, to believe that everyone earned it from playing the tp.
most of them either bought gold from 3rd party or got it from exploits

So, in summary again why i ask for making them account-/soulbound on aquire:
- You should need to earn them, even when it’s grind. You don’t need them necessary and you shouldn’t be able to buy them with real money
- People get the gold (most likely) from goldsellers or from exploits, i could bet most of them did not play the TP for a few thousends gold

They were intended to be special and not something everyone can buy.
They were meant to say to others, that the owner did invest much time to craft one.
Not to get people to buy them with real money or even worse giving their money to 3rd party sellers

I don’t attract, I don’t repel. That’s kinda odd

in Suggestions

Posted by: Stiv.1820

Stiv.1820

It’s part of this game’s business model. Whales (players who spend lots of real money on in game things) will buy these and pay the equivalent of all of our monthly fees for a year. Gold sellers are being driven out of business by the high gem prices. Eventually it won’t be worth it for them to try to sell gold in this game. In short, stop complaining and enjoy the game that the 1% are paying for.

(edited by Stiv.1820)

in Suggestions

Posted by: Peetee.9406

Peetee.9406

Someone still put in a ton of work. I don’t care if someone else pays them for that work… it has no effect on my game whatsoever.

Extremely well said, could not agree more.

Kayku
[CDS] Caedas
Sanctum of Rall

in Suggestions

Posted by: Ronah.2869

Ronah.2869

My answer to this is here in another thread

in Suggestions

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

To the people who think i’m just mad because i worked for mine, i’m not.
(i don’t have one yet, but soon)

It just disturbs me, that you can just buy them with real money.
The bigger problem is, that no one will get the gold through gem->gold, almost every Legendary buyer who “bought it from real money” used gold sellers
Or they used exploits
I see way too much people running around with legendaries, some even with multiple legendaries, to believe that everyone earned it from playing the tp.
most of them either bought gold from 3rd party or got it from exploits

So, in summary again why i ask for making them account-/soulbound on aquire:
- You should need to earn them, even when it’s grind. You don’t need them necessary and you shouldn’t be able to buy them with real money
- People get the gold (most likely) from goldsellers or from exploits, i could bet most of them did not play the TP for a few thousends gold

They were intended to be special and not something everyone can buy.
They were meant to say to others, that the owner did invest much time to craft one.
Not to get people to buy them with real money or even worse giving their money to 3rd party sellers

You got any proof that almost all used Gold selling sights, or used Exploits? This is the premise of your argument here, so you better have proof, and not just a “Gut feeling” or" well I know a guy" or “I know a guy that knows a guy”

Also, what makes you think the intention wasn’t for people to buy the Legendaries? For the fact they can be sold on the TP, tells me their (Anet) intention was for Legendaries to be sellable on the TP.

I’d say that Legendaries are exactly what Anet intended them to be, you just so happen to disagree with it.

(edited by eisberg.2379)

in Suggestions

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

As the title says.

Not just a lot of money.

As long as Legendaries aren’t better (stat wise) than the next best type of gear (once Ascended is introduced) then I would have no problem even if Anet put all Legendaries on the Gem Store for real money… It wouldn’t affect me at all, just like all the other skins on the gem store or the minis.

Legendaries aren’t hard to acquire in any way, they just take time, they are so easy to get that a pre-programmed bot can get a legendary with a tiny bit of help, maybe even better than a real player because all you need to get a marvelous legendary is farm endlessly, there is no challenge to them only farm/grind. So people who can’t farm/grind because they have lives, can use their real money to buy a Legendary…. The prices for them are so high anyway only someone that pays real money OR farms/grinds all day can get them.

Once they change the purpose of a legendary and make it something you are actually proud you made with your skill, then they can make them Bound on Acquire…

in Suggestions

Posted by: Edragor.9164

Edragor.9164

I believe they have to stay in the market and present good incentives to use the cash shop for a lot (mostly younger?^^) players.
There is still a lot of work to craft a legendary and therefore even buying it with RL money an achievement of its own (..i guess^^).

And after all there are those who dont like to do pvp or pve and still WANT a legendary. Making it available through different ways doesnt hurt the game nor the legendary status of the item.