Please make dailies feel more natural

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

In other words, You think that your way is the only natural way, Sliding around and play things that some people and/or I may not like. You don’t like that I should be rewarded however I want to play.

So what you’re complaining about, is that Anet didn’t mold their reward mechanics to support “only” your way of playing?

When they revamped the Dailies/Monthlies to include a choice between multiple options, that made getting the minimum to complete the meta so much easier. I’m sorry you feel it’s so hard to gather 20 times, or kill 50 enemies.

Wrong.

I am disgusted that Anet didn’t mold their reward mechanics to support every way of playing. So stop accusing me of trying to make anet reward only my way.

Perhaps what you aren’t considering is that not all rewards are meant to be earned by all play-styles. Why not award dungeon tokens for completing events in the open world? Why not award Gifts of Exploration to those who complete either WvW or Tyria exploration? Heck, why not award the GoE for killing Champs in QDale? Why not reward WvW Exp and chests for Living World events?

Rewards are carrots designed to entice players into playing disparate parts of the game. I’m not sure why you think dailies are different.

I have a solution for that to encourage carrot leading.

I had suggested that the ‘out of their ways’ daily activities would be faster to complete. While the natural dailies would take way longer but the player will eventually complete it.

The choice is there for them. Quick but ‘out of the way’ dailies vs natural but long dailies. Maybe they can complete both. You should listen to your own words. When I think both ways are right, why do you think my way is wrong?

I don’t make everyone play the same as I do, they can be given the choice to play their own way and those who take the time to complete the “out of their way” daily activity will be rewarded faster and those who don’t want to care about the “out of the way” daily activity can play how they want but rewarded slower.

tl;dr: The natural way will take longer(1-3 hours) while “out of the way”/“zone specific” dailies will be quick(10-15 minutes). Players can play the game if they have time. Or do the quest quick for faster reward. Efficiency vs Entertainment.

Devil’s advocate question. Given that ANet has demonstrated the tendency to use rewards to entice players to play content they might otherwise ignore, what is ANet’s motivation to do as you ask? Ultimately, you’ll either sell your fellow posters, or not. However, selling the developer is more important to getting what you want. I suspect that, to do so, you’ll need to demonstrate how your suggestion will achieve their goals with dailies. If their goal is to provide incentives to do certain content, how would your proposal meet their goals?

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

The Daily metas support various ways of playing. And you get to pick which ones to complete.

Daily do not support various ways of playing. It support only one way. That one way is to slide around.

If I want to play dungeons only, daily do not support that.
If I want to champ zerg only, daily do not support that.
If I want to fractal only, daily do not support that.

At most the above will only support 1-2 activities.

If that’s the way you play, then Dailies aren’t for you. Sorry mate.

True. It isn’t, so I am trying to change the way dailies work.

PvP dailies can be played naturally, I would like PvE dailies to work like that too.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

runeblade.7514

Devil’s advocate question. Given that ANet has demonstrated the tendency to use rewards to entice players to play content they might otherwise ignore, what is ANet’s motivation to do as you ask? Ultimately, you’ll either sell your fellow posters, or not. However, selling the developer is more important to getting what you want. I suspect that, to do so, you’ll need to demonstrate how your suggestion will achieve their goals with dailies. If their goal is to provide incentives to do certain content, how would your proposal meet their goals?

Good question.

Dailies are useful in keeping players to keep playing the game. As players play the game, they’ll accumulate enough for ascended accessories and that will keep players wanting to stay more in the game. When players stay in the game, it means more money for them.

Dailies will be seen less of a grindy boring activity for many casual players and see it as a reward for playing for fun. When it is viewed as a boring activity, players will question themselves on why they keep playing.

Dailies does not have to be a carrot on a stick tool, but a tool to encourage players to log in every day. PvP dailies felt like that way and I hope that PvE dailies feels the same way.

tl;dr: It’ll make dailies encouraging fun. More fun = more money.

If their goal is to provide incentives to do certain content, how would your proposal meet their goals?

Great question. Doing only the specific content will be way faster to complete compared to the natural way. To do only the natural way, without running into other specific daily activity, will take a long time.

The difference in numbers “Kill 10 asacalon things” vs. “kill 200 things” will make a difference in perception.

• So people wanting to complete the dailies as fast as possible will try out the a specific activities.
  • Maybe those players don’t have enough time to complete the dailies, so they’ll do the specific dailies to complete their daily.
  • Maybe those players are burnt out on what they find fun, then they can use the daily to guide them on what they should do. Possibly, They might find that specific content fun.

It will not be a choice of “Do this or don’t get anything.” but a choice of “the longer way or the shorter way.”

Posted by: Okuza.5210

Okuza.5210

I think a lot of responders to the OP here are missing his major point and getting caught up arguing implementation details, which are rather pointless compared to the goal. The developers are creative enough to handle details themselves if we can convince them that the goal is worth supporting.

The goal — the highly desirable goal — is to just do whatever PVE you like and have the daily happen naturally as a result. That’s how it works for PVP. Playing is good. This is a game. Ultimately, we’re all here to play.

The only implementation detail I’d strongly promote is to CAP AP earned from dailies. One AP is a tiny bit of cheese, but MMO players have enough rodent-nature to be enticed into chasing that down. A list huge enough to cover all styles of “just PVE’ing” is a ton of potential AP-cheese and would feel like a crushing level of “work to do” to those folks.

Posted by: Etien.4601

Etien.4601

AND make hearts repeatable! This can be added for a monthly as well as for the daily. I want to go back to old places and redo some.

Drop Acid Not Bombs (Richie Hawtin)

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

My recommendations:

1. Expand the list with additional challenges.
2. Have roughly 10 challenges that are there every day.
3. Half of (2) should be WvW
4. Cap at 4 completions; no additional AP for further completion.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

runeblade.7514

I think a lot of responders to the OP here are missing his major point and getting caught up arguing implementation details, which are rather pointless compared to the goal. The developers are creative enough to handle details themselves if we can convince them that the goal is worth supporting.

The goal — the highly desirable goal — is to just do whatever PVE you like and have the daily happen naturally as a result. That’s how it works for PVP. Playing is good. This is a game. Ultimately, we’re all here to play.

The only implementation detail I’d strongly promote is to CAP AP earned from dailies. One AP is a tiny bit of cheese, but MMO players have enough rodent-nature to be enticed into chasing that down. A list huge enough to cover all styles of “just PVE’ing” is a ton of potential AP-cheese and would feel like a crushing level of “work to do” to those folks.

Yes, this is my goal.

I don’t understand why people are strongly against it.

Posted by: synk.6907

synk.6907

The problem with comparing PvE dailies to PvP dailies is that the activity is much less varied in sPvP. You have a set thing you go and do, and the objectives/combat is more or less the same regardless of what day. In PvE, a player might select one of many things to do, leading to the impression that one is "going out of their way" or whatnot to complete the checklist.

Creating additional checklists isn’t so much a solution as it is just a means to trivialize the idea of a daily checklist. May as well just give them to folks for logging in.

Or, better yet, leave the dailies as they are.

No, bad idea.

Dailies should not to be forced into a checklist of things to do.

That’s all dailies are -- an artificial checklist.

Fortunately, some days that checklist coincides well with what a player is doing. Unfortunately, some days it might not.

In either case, they’re still about 10-40 minutes of "work", tops.

(edited by synk.6907)

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Dailies and Monthlies should have new tabs.

- Dungeons – Side Quests
- Open World – ….
- SPvP – …
- WvWvW – ….
- Fotm – ….

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

True. It isn’t, so I am trying to change the way dailies work.

PvP dailies can be played naturally, I would like PvE dailies to work like that too.

What if I don’t want to capture points in SPvP, and only want to fight/kill other players. In that regards, those dailies can’t be played naturally for me.

But I digress. Your complaints amount to “make dailies easier for me to get”. And when you reply with “I only do Dungeons”, you solidify the reasons on why your arguments aren’t justified.

One more time – Dailies are easy to get as they are. You can play naturally in this game, and still do your daily meta. If you don’t like to gather, don’t like to kill enemies, don’t like to rez NPCs or other players, don’t like to dodge, don’t like to craft, don’t like to visit Laurel vendors, etc, then don’t do them. Play the game how you want to play. Just don’t expect to get rewarded if you don’t want to expand past only a single aspect of the game.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: ExiledDiclonius.1653

ExiledDiclonius.1653

If I would change anthing in daily/monthly I would start from removing all wvw dailies from pve category and making them their own dailies.

Posted by: Tree.3916

Tree.3916

My question to you is, why do you feel compelled to even complete the daily? It is optional content to reward you for participating in normal game play.

DnT Apply today if you think you can hang with the best of the best
http://www.twitch.tv/tree_dnt || https://twitter.com/Tree_DnT
The meta is changing at an alarming rate!

Smooth Penguin.5294

My question to you is, why do you feel compelled to even complete the daily? It is optional content to reward you for participating in normal game play.

The OP wants to be rewarded not just for “normal” game play, but rather for the way “he” plays.

runeblade.7514

But I digress. Your complaints amount to “make dailies easier for me to get”. And when you reply with “I only do Dungeons”, you solidify the reasons on why your arguments aren’t justified.

One more time – Dailies are easy to get as they are. You can play naturally in this game, and still do your daily meta.

You ignored and continued to ignore my point.

I don’t care about difficulty. I care that however I want to play, I want to eventually get my dailies done as I play. This suggestion does not stop you from playing however you want to play.

Just don’t expect to get rewarded if you don’t want to expand past only a single aspect of the game.

Which is why Dailies need change. I am forced to play a certain way to get rewarded.

How about instead of mudslinging me and insulting me, here is the question: What are the negatives about this suggestion? Why are you trying so hard to make this idea a bad one?

You worried about players not wanting to do other things? I already have a solution: Those specific zone dailies will be faster to finish than the natural way.

(edited by runeblade.7514)

runeblade.7514

The problem with comparing PvE dailies to PvP dailies is that the activity is much less varied in sPvP. You have a set thing you go and do, and the objectives/combat is more or less the same regardless of what day. In PvE, a player might select one of many things to do, leading to the impression that one is “going out of their way” or whatnot to complete the checklist.

Creating additional checklists isn’t so much a solution as it is just a means to trivialize the idea of a daily checklist. May as well just give them to folks for logging in.

There are numbers of checklist that could be included in sPvP. There is no kill 10 warriors, there is no res 10 allies, stomp enemies 10 times, use the pvp mystic forge 10 times. Talk to the glory vendor. Kill Chieftain, kill the Guild Lord objectives, use Skyhammer to kill enemies, clean 50 conditions, interrupt 10 attacks.

If that replaced sPvP dailies, then it would be annoying. But I am okay with including it as long as it doesn’t effect anything towards to the original sPvP dailies.

That’s all dailies are — an artificial checklist.
Fortunately, some days that checklist coincides well with what a player is doing. Unfortunately, some days it might not.
In either case, they’re still about 10-40 minutes of “work”, tops.

I would like all days for that checklist to coincide well with what a player is doing for all days. Not just one or two days.

(edited by runeblade.7514)

runeblade.7514

The OP wants to be rewarded not just for “normal” game play, but rather for the way “he” plays.

You also forget the part that people can be rewarded however they want to play too.

With this, it’ll make me sound less like a villain. Your statement sounds like this suggestion is about forcing everyone else to reward them how “I” play.

Posted by: Serelisk.6573

Serelisk.6573

I’m in complete agreement with the OP, and watching people battle with them on this is very strange considering the points offered. I don’t know why someone should not be rewarded for investing a lot of time in the game each day when that’s the entire point of the daily.

It’s functioning this way in both PvP, and to a lesser extent, WvW, but most areas of general PvE you have to go out of your way to gain your daily reward.

Kegmaster

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

When I play at least two hours I typically get the daily done without going out of my way.

If you are not doing the harvest achievement you’re doing it wrong.

Battle of Lion Arch does not have any nodes, Dungeons do not have any nodes, Fractals do not have any nodes.

So don’t do that one daily and do the other ones. It’s still only 1 of 12.

Smooth Penguin.5294

One more time – Dailies are easy to get as they are. You can play naturally in this game, and still do your daily meta.

You ignored and continued to ignore my point.

I don’t care about difficulty. I care that however I want to play, I want to eventually get my dailies done as I play. This suggestion does not stop you from playing however you want to play.

Just don’t expect to get rewarded if you don’t want to expand past only a single aspect of the game.

Which is why Dailies need change. I am forced to play a certain way to get rewarded.

How about instead of mudslinging me and insulting me, here is the question: What are the negatives about this suggestion? Why are you trying so hard to make this idea a bad one?

You worried about players not wanting to do other things? I already have a solution: Those specific zone dailies will be faster to finish than the natural way.

You just stated that you only care about how “you” want to play. You keep wanting to be rewarded for only how “you” play. Think about that for a moment. It’s fine if you want to play how you want to play. However, the Daily Meta has requirements that are easy as it is already. By asking for Anet to modify a reward system to automatically give players daily/monthly rewards for no effort, you are effectively asking them to just give you free stuff for logging in. That is why I’m so against your idea.

So bottom line. You have multiple options to get your daily reward. Some are simple like gathering or crafting. Some are harder like do a jumping puzzle. If any of these simple things are too difficult to do during normal game play, then Dailies aren’t for you.

Posted by: Moka.9641

Moka.9641

If that’s too difficult, then why not just give the daily reward when you stay logged actively for more than 15 minutes. It removes the feeling ‘being out of your way’ to grind dailies. Whatever you do, no matter how you play, you’ll get rewarded eventually, a bit like the PvP daily like you said, I guess. It would be easy to implement.

[AW]- The Holy Engineer

(edited by Moka.9641)

Posted by: Jabberwock.9014

Jabberwock.9014

The biggest slap in the face are dailies like “kill 30 white/trash mobs”. While not the longest daily, there is absolutely NO way you will ever get an achievement like this in normal play, so they are explicitly encouraging going out of your way to port to Queensdale and whip sparkflies and frogs for 3 minutes. With how much actual content this game has, it’s a bit insulting to make us waste our time on such a mundane and utterly pointless task. Whenever I do this daily, I’m thinking: “What am I doing with my life? I’m walking around in a video game genociding virtual frogs. That can’t even attack me. Because the UI told me to.”

Get stoned whenever you want:
Endless Petrification Tonic

Posted by: ricky markham.8173

ricky markham.8173

The biggest slap in the face are dailies like “kill 30 white/trash mobs”. While not the longest daily, there is absolutely NO way you will ever get an achievement like this in normal play, so they are explicitly encouraging going out of your way to port to Queensdale and whip sparkflies and frogs for 3 minutes. With how much actual content this game has, it’s a bit insulting to make us waste our time on such a mundane and utterly pointless task. Whenever I do this daily, I’m thinking: “What am I doing with my life? I’m walking around in a video game genociding virtual frogs. That can’t even attack me. Because the UI told me to.”

the kill 40 foes in certain area are the easiest for me to get there is an event or two in every area that if you completes meets the requirement. i prefer dailies stay the way they are because it gets me into zones and doing things i might not do in my normal gameplay. thats the big reason i like them.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

the ambient kills is one I do without ever thinking.. because I play WvW with a Necro and there’s a bunch of them at spawn so you can charge your LF.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Sourde Noire.5286

Sourde Noire.5286

Back in my day, there were only the same 4 (5?) dailies each day every day. Complete 5 events, kill 20 mobs, kill X different types of mobs, gather 20 times and probably something else I forgot.

I don’t get how the dailies are grindy for you, I found the change they made a good while ago to allow for different dailies you can actively choose from / get anyway a great change. Granted, some days the choices are not optimal, and I need to do something I rarely do otherwise, but most of the time I get the dailies done in 10-30 minutes of regular play (as in, just doing what I would be doing anyway).
I mean, what’s there? Kill X in Y, easy enough, especially if you roam the world anyway; Level Up once, comes along the way; accumulate 3 SP, with the addition of scrolls that give you one SP from loot, not that hard; kill X veterans, eh; do X events downscaled, you are rarely ever NOT downscaled unless you exclusively run in 80 maps; kill ambient creatures, most die as collateral damage when you attack regular stuff anyway; do an activity / do stuff in the mists, if you join in on those, they are quick to do as well. Honestly, I don’t see the problem.

Plus, the dailies are supposed to make people try things or make them aware of stuff. Why do you think there’s a daily for 20 successful dodges? Seeing how many people usually down(ed) at the Assault Knights every time, I think in terms of encouraging/teaching we’d need more of those, actually.

The dailies will feel grindy if all you do is run around Queensdale all day and/or want to get them done in 10 minutes, so you can log out again / do something else. But otherwise I find them perfectly fine, they’re quick and easy, feel pretty natural in the gameplay (unless you get a really bad combination, as I said) and they do what they’re supposed to do.

Posted by: FrozenStarRo.7240

FrozenStarRo.7240

It all depends on what dailies happen to be bundled up on any given day. I start my day with Orr harvest route so some like Condition Remover, Condition Applier, Daily kills, Gatherer and even Crafter when I take to refining, all make for an easy daily. On other days with more specific dailies like Maguuman Events or Kills I have to take the extra time to complete them. Still not bad as in my case I either take a lower level to run the extra dailies for the xp or run a char that’s not fully explored to start on a new map in the designed zone, it all works to my benefit, so I never feel like it’s time-consuming or a chore.