Please nerf SoI (but not how you think)

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: DUNSTAN.8529

DUNSTAN.8529

TL;DR – Please reduce the base Regeneration given by Signet of Inspiration from 5 secs to 3 secs. Due to the frustrating yet mandatory way that Regeneration stacks, it is annoyingly difficult to make the most of it in a group that contains a Chronomancer.

Chronomancers are encouraged to build Boon Duration and it’s pretty uncommon to come across one without at least +95% Boon Duration. At least in any organised content where my complaint is most relevant anyway. Due to this fact, the Regeneration given by Signet of Inspiration (a Chronomancer mainstay) usually has a duration of 10 secs, not 5, meaning that anybody with Healing Power stats looking to apply Regeneration to their group, must ensure that it lasts longer than 10 secs or it will not overwrite the low-healing, stacks from the Chronomancer. Assuming the Chronomancer hasn’t managed to stack 5 instances of their low-healing Regeneration (max number of stacks), the incoming high-healing Regeneration will be added to the queue and could take up to 40 secs (4 stacks) to apply. In the worst case scenario, it may even be overwritten by more incoming stacks from the Chronomancer before it even has a chance to apply at all.

My issue with this is that Regeneration is nothing more than a happy side-effect of Signet of Inspiration and clearly isn’t its main purpose yet it completely steamrolls other class’ abilities to heal through Regeneration. Take Elementalist for example; their primary sources of Regeneration come from the Invigorating Torrents Tempest trait, Healing Rain on Staff and Water Trident on Scepter. These skills provide 5, 4 and 3 secs of Regeneration respectively. None of which are possible to extend over the 10 secs required to overwrite Chronomancer Regeneration. Only Tidal Surge on Warhorn and Overload Water provide long enough instances. The situation is similar with other classes like Guardian for example.

Chronomancers don’t even typically run Healing Power. In the case of Minstrel’s Chronomancers, you simply wouldn’t opt for another healing class anyway and the Chronomancer would still be able to maintain permanent Regeneration even with a base duration of 3 secs so the change wouldn’t affect this particular niche build.

Ultimately I think the 5 secs base Regeneration given by Signet of Inspiration has resulted in an unintended and negative side effect that could easily be fixed without damaging the skill itself while simultaneously increasing the scope for players to make use of Regeneration healing by increasing the number of Regeneration-applying skills capable of overwriting low-healing, unintended stacks without directly buffing them.

(edited by DUNSTAN.8529)

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Most serious business regeneration-based healing builds can beat the 10s from Chronomancers anyway, but being honest I’d rather ANet invest in making regeneration a stacking boon like might instead (with obvious number tweaks as a result). That would make it much more dynamic and interesting to use and coordinate.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

While I see where you are coming from, I think ultimately a better solution would be to change how regeneration is applied. Priority should be given to higher regen ticks instead of longer duration regen sources. Regen on SoI could still be nerfed of course, but that wouldn’t stop problems of a similar nature from arising in the future (where classes with no HP but long regen ticks are overriding regen from classes built for HP but not necessarily boon duration).

Posted by: DUNSTAN.8529

DUNSTAN.8529

While I see where you are coming from, I think ultimately a better solution would be to change how regeneration is applied. Priority should be given to higher regen ticks instead of longer duration regen sources. Regen on SoI could still be nerfed of course, but that wouldn’t stop problems of a similar nature from arising in the future (where classes with no HP but long regen ticks are overriding regen from classes built for HP but not necessarily boon duration).

The issue with this is that higher ticks over a shorter duration isn’t objectively better than smaller ticks over a longer duration. Just as many people would argue for either taking priority and I think that is a big part of the reason why Regeneration works the way it does.

Posted by: Sarrs.4831

Sarrs.4831

I’d personally quite like it if Regeneration changed to stack in intensity and rebalanced appropriately. This stops being an issue and we get a bit more build diversity.

Nalhadia – Kaineng

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

this is an ez fix but iltimately maybe intensity based would be the overall better chnage.

Posted by: OriOri.8724

OriOri.8724

The issue with this is that higher ticks over a shorter duration isn’t objectively better than smaller ticks over a longer duration. Just as many people would argue for either taking priority and I think that is a big part of the reason why Regeneration works the way it does.

Then change it so that whatever source will heal for more is applied instead, accounting for duration and strength of each tick. Either way, the problem is that regen stacks in a very funny way, a way that sometimes is detrimental. So that means the solution should be to change how it stacks, not to just change the duration of some sources of regen

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

regen stacking in intensity would be ridiculously op in group comps and useless in small / solo stuff

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: perilisk.1874

perilisk.1874

Maybe they could add a hidden “regen” stat, and each stack of regen would increase it for a time. Then, they could implement the stat such that it provided decreasing returns in actual healing as it got higher. It might help keep regen stacking from getting too crazy and requiring a massive rebalancing.

Alternatively, they could just let them run in parallel, and apply the strongest regen in effect at any time.

Ceterum censeo Sentim Punicam esse delendam

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Alternatively, they could just let them run in parallel, and apply the strongest regen in effect at any time.

So, basically, allow it to stack to greater values, but at any given tick make only the strongest (by heal power) count?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

zealex.9410

or just nerf the healing duration until they come up with a better system then they revisit it.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Or, please nerf the boon meta completely. Boons should be short duration burst and not a full up time requirement.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

zealex.9410

^ this tbh. 100% boon uptime shoehorns classes into a rather boring playstyles that have to upkeep perma buffs taking all the panning away.

There’s no sense of burst because theres no cordinating bufffs and preplaning and calling out when something will be available.
Might, fury, quickness, alacrity, banners spirits all can be kept perma and make the compat boring and braindead.

Regen should be the same with certain build focushing more on hots and other builds on burst heals and other on both.

Make permanately upkeeping buffs a personal thing something that you have to do because your own dps or personal bufff uptime depends on it.

Have the aoe buffs as small windows of opportunity to coordinate heals or cc or burst.

(edited by zealex.9410)