Please reconsider the Orr snares, knockdowns and roots...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

I do have to say, I don’t mind Orr as much as many of the players here. However, there is one thing that annoys the holy crap out of me: the unbelievably excessive snares, knockdowns, and roots. It’s not annoying in the sense of “Oh this is so hard, I can’t beat it”. No, in the end you still come out victorious. Instead, it’s annoying in the sense of unhooking your computer tower, throwing it out the window and taking up a life of Amish tech-celibacy.

If I had one request for Orr, it would be to reconsider the excessiveness of those conditions. I do not feel like they add challenge to my gameplay, only severe annoyance.

Posted by: Naoko.7096

Naoko.7096

You’re not alone. There’re many threads like this created by other players.
I agree with the over excessive conditions which even the healing skills can’t catch up.

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

As I’ve mentioned in other posts on Orr; it’s not a difficult place. It’s simply “Annoying”.

So, yes, I agree with you. I avoid the place as best I can. I play to unwind and enjoy my time… not be trolled by devs with a sinister sense of humor.

Posted by: Polantaris.9513

Polantaris.9513

I do have to say, I don’t mind Orr as much as many of the players here. However, there is one thing that annoys the holy crap out of me: the unbelievably excessive snares, knockdowns, and roots. It’s not annoying in the sense of “Oh this is so hard, I can’t beat it”. No, in the end you still come out victorious. Instead, it’s annoying in the sense of unhooking your computer tower, throwing it out the window and taking up a life of Amish tech-celibacy.

If I had one request for Orr, it would be to reconsider the excessiveness of those conditions. I do not feel like they add challenge to my gameplay, only severe annoyance.

If by snares you mean the idiotic pulls from those Risen with the miner’s axes, I completely agree with you 100%.

My single worst problem with Orr is that their knockdowns last FOREVER. I can knockdown with Hammer skills that apparently are supposed to last for at least 2 seconds, sometimes more, and see the enemy get up instantly (I feel like this is a bug, otherwise what the hell), yet the Hammer Risen can knock you down for 5+ seconds. If there’s two? Don’t bother trying to fight unless you want to tear your eyes out. If there’s three or more? GG, you’re dead because you will never get a chance to attack.

The Orr areas are interesting. I kind of wish there were more events (it never seems like there’s enough unless you’re with “the Zerg”), and I missed Renown Hearts, but honestly, nothing is more annoying about Orr than the regular monsters and their cheap bullcrap. I used to fight everything I ran into prior to hitting Risen. When I’m at Risen areas, I run as fast as I can to get away from them, because they’re simply not fun to fight.

I’m looking forward to more 80 content, and looking forward to no Risen in said 80 content.

Posted by: Reevac.1748

Reevac.1748

Don’t forget the pulls some of them do.

Posted by: Icarus Pherae.4680

Icarus Pherae.4680

If by snares you mean the idiotic pulls from those Risen with the miner’s axes, I completely agree with you 100%.

My single worst problem with Orr is that their knockdowns last FOREVER. I can knockdown with Hammer skills that apparently are supposed to last for at least 2 seconds, sometimes more, and see the enemy get up instantly (I feel like this is a bug, otherwise what the hell), yet the Hammer Risen can knock you down for 5+ seconds. If there’s two? Don’t bother trying to fight unless you want to tear your eyes out. If there’s three or more? GG, you’re dead because you will never get a chance to attack.

The Orr areas are interesting. I kind of wish there were more events (it never seems like there’s enough unless you’re with “the Zerg”), and I missed Renown Hearts, but honestly, nothing is more annoying about Orr than the regular monsters and their cheap bullcrap. I used to fight everything I ran into prior to hitting Risen. When I’m at Risen areas, I run as fast as I can to get away from them, because they’re simply not fun to fight.

I’m looking forward to more 80 content, and looking forward to no Risen in said 80 content.

Isn’t it an anchor? but anyways yeah it is annoying….

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

ever tried getting through a pack of risen krait? good luck with that. it’s like a game of hot potato.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Polantaris.9513

Isn’t it an anchor? but anyways yeah it is annoying….

I wasn’t sure what he meant by Snares, so I took a shot in the dark.

Chances are I’ll agree with him 100% regardless, because Risen in general are awful with their abilities.

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

If you go to Orr just take 2 or 3 friends with you,more fun and easier offc.It’s just an annoying place to be wandering around solo.

Posted by: Zephaust Zenith.8376

Zephaust Zenith.8376

Annoying ? yes, sometimes but doable

I won’t deny that Risen mobs frustrated me a bit when i first entered Orr but it was just a matter of time to learn their behavior and with a bit of timing and practice they became easier to deal with.

Btw, it’s funny to pull those grappling Risen to you instead of the other way around

Posted by: Bruno Sardine.2907

Bruno Sardine.2907

I do agree the mob CC mechanics are annoying, but the biggest thing for me is the general slowing of movement speed when you’re in combat. I can see the need of wanting this for PvP, but it’s completely annoying in PvE esp when mobs also move real fast. In Orr I’m generally just chain-slowed cause I’m in combat constantly. If I wasn’t an engineer who can be permanently in swiftness (even at slowed combat speed), I’d probably just never go to Orr.

Posted by: Mungrul.9358

Mungrul.9358

I’m sure there’s a general rule of thumb in game design about removing control of a character from the player. That general rule is DON’T DO IT.

Please note that due to restrictions placed on my account, I am only allowed 1 post per hour.
Therefore I may take some time replying to you.

Posted by: souldonkey.9534

souldonkey.9534

Yeah it’s definitely annoying. It doesn’t seem to bother me as much as some others, but that’s likely because I sort of expected it. All the high level zones in GW1 were the same way. Nearly impossible to run through without killing stuff because of all the knockdowns and snares.

Southern shiverpeaks were especially horrible at this (which is why I was able to make so much coin running players to Droks). Torment was bad, Jade see and Echovold were bad, RoF was bad, etc. I’ve just gotten used to it I guess and didn’t really expect it to be different in this game. As annoying as it is, I must admit that it’s an incredibly effective way of preventing players from just running through an area and skipping content.

Posted by: pandemos.3497

pandemos.3497

They should just add attacks of opportunity that one shot people if they move out of range… that would fix the issue. Or they could just remove the mobs completely since running through them would equate to the same thing.

Posted by: lunawisp.2378

lunawisp.2378

There’s a reason most MMO’s don’t give crowd control abilities to minions (or trash mobs). Those mobs nearly always come in groups and giving them all abilities like this makes the game more annoying than fun. This is one area I think they should learn from other MMO’s and tone it down a bit…

Found pottering around on Desolation (EU).
lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

it’s not that it’s hard, it’s that it’s frustrating and annoying as hell.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

It’s also quite ridiculous that even with the 25% run speed buff that an elementalist in air attunement has the risen can keep up with no issues what so ever.

Posted by: Zephaust Zenith.8376

Zephaust Zenith.8376

There’s a reason most MMO’s don’t give crowd control abilities to minions (or trash mobs). Those mobs nearly always come in groups and giving them all abilities like this makes the game more annoying than fun. This is one area I think they should learn from other MMO’s and tone it down a bit…

I think Anet did learn, with GW1 and still gave mobs abilities and gladly so…

Personally, these abilities spice PvE more and prevent rushing careless through maps or some farming methods – GW1 is a good example of this like souldonkey.9534 pointed out.

If anything, i wouldn’t want PvE to be more dumbed down.. like other MMO’s

lunawisp.2378

Hmm, well, dumbed down is hardly the expression. Personally I don’t find it fun when I’m pulled left by one mob, then before I can get up I’m pulled right by another, then once again before I can get up I knocked back half a dozen yards.

If my knockdown lasted a microsecond like it does on the mobs it wouldn’t be so bad but when I’m knocked down, I stay down for ages.

If this is what passes for fun in GW2 then maybe I’m playing the wrong game.

lunawisp was my peacebringer on City of Heroes – she lives on in memory as my gaming id.

Posted by: Koolthulu.9682

Koolthulu.9682

Anet loves DR systems so much, I’m surprised that the one area of the game that needs one doesn’t have it. Constant CC doesn’t make for a harder fight, it just makes it more annoying.

I actually walked away from the computer in one of the personal story fights, because the champ boss mob was spamming AOE stuns. I watched a little TV while the NPCs killed him. My character didn’t even die, since the boss did basically no damage, just constant annoying stuns. They could have removed the stuns and upped his damage and the fight would have been more fun.

Posted by: Necrochild.1497

Necrochild.1497

My beef with the Anchor risen that pull is that for some reason you deal a small amount of damage when they pull you, which breaks your cloak if you get overwhelmed and try to cloak away.

Posted by: Alex Sanchez.6792

Alex Sanchez.6792

What’s supposed to be the hardest area of the game can’t be strolled around like its Queensdale? How odd.

Stop QQ’ing. Its a minor inconvenience.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I’m with those who would prefer challenge rather than the ubiquitous CC. As it is, I either dodge the CC or I don’t. If I do, the mob will sometimes just re-use the skill immediately. Once it has managed to connect a CC, it returns to just smacking me with whatever attack it uses. The only ones that actually do a decent amount of damage are the Ravagers (kittening mesmers :o), Eagles, and Grubs if en masse.

Polantaris.9513

Personally, these abilities spice PvE more and prevent rushing careless through maps or some farming methods – GW1 is a good example of this like souldonkey.9534 pointed out.

Here’s the thing…it’s not dumbing down to make the abilities more fair.
99% of abilities that enemies used in GW1 were abilities you yourself had available to you. There were very rare exceptions and unless the monster in question was a Boss or otherwise supposed to be difficult, they were not game-breaking like this is.
Why do Hammer Risen get a 5 second knockdown on me when mine lasts a second if that? Why can they spam said ability every 10 seconds when mine is about a minute cooldown? Why can I get pulled every 15 seconds when my own pulling ability doesn’t have remotely that low recharge?

This isn’t complaining because we want to rush through the map and have no difficulty, it’s complaining because the enemy abilities are unfair. They have complete advantage when it comes to durations. If you want to complain that the enemies attack too slowly and that’s why…there’s a solution to that. There’s no reason Risen should walk up to you and attack once every 5 seconds. There’s no reason that to make up for that their status effects should last 5x as long as mine do and have 5x less cooldown. Every third attack on a Hammer mob shouldn’t be a knockdown for 5 seconds.

Like I said myself earlier, I had no problem fighting everything that showed up to fight me…until they started breaking the rules and having this kind of unfair advantage.

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

Most are simple dodge checks. For example, the risen that pulls does a little twirl then pulls, dodge it. Their underwater version is a fist in the air.

I fully expect the later zones (ie, ring of fire) to be much worse.

Also, they originally said they would tweak/improve mob AI. Imagine if the risen intelligently moved away from AoEs and dodged attacks.

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

The question is not how unfair you find Orr mobs to be, but why you cannot manage your way through them. I’d like you know which professions you are playing that give you such a hard time circumnavigating snares. If you’re a Ranger, I might have some sympathy with you, because your pet, even if stowed away, is an additional liability when you’re trying to navigate the map. Then again, if you’re a Ranger and haven’t learned to swap your pet after you’ve run through a group that managed to hit you in order to exit combat mode by level 80, I don’t know. I hear that Necros also lack in mobility, but I can’t speak from experience. I know, though, that when I run around Cursed Shore with my friend, who plays Necro(me being Warrior or Mesmer), he has no problem following me, and that’s without me using area swiftness, just in case you’re wondering.
I’d really like to know which profession has the most problems with Risen avoidance-wise, as maining a Mesmer doesn’t give me enough of a perspective to understand all of these complaints.

Oh, and in case you didn’t already deduce this from my post, I have no problems navigating Orr. The professions I’ve gotten there have enough mobility to run around without getting slowed, pulled, or snared in 8 out of 10 encounters. Anticipating pulls or attacks with your dodge makes a hell of a lot of a difference.

(edited by ASB.4295)

Posted by: Veldan.4637

Veldan.4637

1. pop stability skill
2. attack the risen
3. ????
4. profit

Have no stability because you are a ranged class? Try fighting at range then…

Tolmos.8395

I dont consider removing this annoying feature dumbing down. BUT, if you think it is, I’d be more than happy to compromise: make the mobs more powerful in the place of those. Make them even nastier in a fight. That’s fine. But there is nothing challenging or remotely fun about getting slung around for a minute while picking at the NPC’s health. Its not like you’re going to die to them- all they are doing is just delaying the inevitable and slowing down your progress in the most irritating way possible.

It’s like playing chess with someone who randomly slaps all the pieces off the table. They aren’t adding to the challenge of the game, they are just doing what they do to irritate the bejeebus out of you and, in the end, they will still lose despite doing it.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

In my opinion it should be even more annoying. I think the reason behind the fustration is due to people doing thier Orichalcum runs. These are just WoW players who were used to flying around on thier mounts, dive down, pick up flower, rince, repeat. Snore.

Tolmos.8395

In my opinion it should be even more annoying. I think the reason behind the fustration is due to people doing thier Orichalcum runs. These are just WoW players who were used to flying around on thier mounts, dive down, pick up flower, rince, repeat. Snore.

Or people running to DEs
Or people running to temples
Or people completing the map
Or people in the process of doing a mobile DE
Or people trying to fight a horde of risen just to get juggled around for an hour
etc etc

I think you forgot a few groups of folks in your baseless and completely farfetched generalization

Posted by: Loosifah.4738

Loosifah.4738

Every mob having either pull, snare, paralyze, or life leach gets pretty excessive.

lunawisp.2378

Lacking a reply or quote option again…what is it with this forum software?

Anyway, far from trying to race through the area quickly, I was actually trying to look around and locate things since it was my first time there. After having other people train their mobs on me half a dozen times and being pulled all over the place by ridiculous numbers of minions every one of which seemed to have some sort of crowd control ability, I got fed up and left. Oh, and I’ve never played WoW.

Posted by: TimeBomb.3427

TimeBomb.3427

I never noticed this issue in Orr until I got to Cursed Shore. The CC from mobs prior to Cursed Shore is fine. Cursed Shore definitely over does it IMO.

Posted by: Focksbot.6798

Focksbot.6798

Then again, if you’re a Ranger and haven’t learned to swap your pet after you’ve run through a group that managed to hit you in order to exit combat mode by level 80, I don’t know.

This doesn’t work. I do it all the time to stop the pet taking too much damage, but the ranger won’t disengage combat mode and get a move on.

I have no problem getting from A to B in Orr; I just don’t enjoy the process one bit. Repetitive fights, constantly getting knocked down or rooted, delay, delay, delay. It’s like swimming through treacle.

Tolmos.8395

Exactly. This isn’t an issue of difficulty. The only times I’ve died in Orr were either during champ mob fights or when I would crash headlong into 15+ risen with catapults nearby :-P. it’s mainly an issue of extreme annoyance. Being tossed around like a basketball, snared, rooted, and dazed excessively just wears the patience a bit thin after a while.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

One does not simply run into Orr…

Posted by: Kojiden.8405

Kojiden.8405

I wouldn’t mind so much if only some of the risen had some sort of movement impairment ability… but it feels like every single risen in orr has them.

Polantaris.9513

@Veldan;
Stability only lasts so long, and no class can keep it up all the time, and especially not as long as there are mobs in your way. If you wait for Cooldown, the mobs you just killed will respawn long before your stability recovers because Orr respawn times are insanely small.

Besides, Stability should not be a REQUIRED ability. It should be helpful, it should be usable in situations that call for it. Every single trash mob is not a situation that calls for Stability. When every single trash mob has some sort of ability that you need Stability for, there’s a serious issue.

Posted by: Auesis.7301

Auesis.7301

Am I the only person on earth who has very little problems getting around in Orr?

Gnome Child [Gc]
Resident Thief

Posted by: Katreyn.4218

Katreyn.4218

But I love getting chain pulled and anchored…not really.

Outside of the pull and anchor ability I can live with the other stuff in Orr. The snares in general aren’t so bad. But definitely annoying even removing conditions it still happens very often. As in like every fight.

That said, Orr is probably the most frustrating zone I’ve experienced in a game. So many knockdowns and snares and etc, and then combine that with the amazingly fast respawn it is literally Hell in Tyria for me.

Posted by: Sil.4560

Sil.4560

I haven’t had problems in Orr in forever. I play a Greatsword/Longbow Warrior. Eventually with those projectile pulls, you can learn to see them coming and dodge them, then watch the hilarious animation of the Risen guy knock himself on his kitten while you just keep on running.

I will say the only things I find annoying if you’re not running something like “Shake It Off!” is the occasional MINUTE LONG CRIPPLE. I had it on me once and was just limping around long after whatever it was that caused it (a gorilla maybe?) was dead. Part of me found it hilarious that I was just stumping along for such a length of time, but the other part of me was like, sweet Jebus, is that necessary?

Nothing quite compares to those flashing daze circles on the ground in some areas though. Those make it hard for most any character to fight in.

Polantaris.9513

I will say the only things I find annoying if you’re not running something like “Shake It Off!” is the occasional MINUTE LONG CRIPPLE. I had it on me once and was just limping around long after whatever it was that caused it (a gorilla maybe?) was dead. Part of me found it hilarious that I was just stumping along for such a length of time, but the other part of me was like, sweet Jebus, is that necessary?

Risen Hylek with minute+ long Poison is the same deal.

The first time I went to Sparkfly Fen and ran into a group of Risen Hylek, after I was done, I went into my Kitchen, grabbed a snack, grabbed a soda, came back, and I was still in Poison for another 35 seconds. I couldn’t decide what snack I wanted either, so I was in the kitchen for at least a minute.

Thankfully as a Warrior I have something like 500HP/sec with Healing Signet and the Toughness Trait combined, or I would have died. That’s how excessive it is. Conditions should not keep you in combat, or they should at least recover faster when you should be out of combat.

That is a complaint I’ve voiced in game for a while now, because the duration stacking abilities combined with the excessive duration on Risen monsters makes you stuck in combat for far too long with no ability to do anything, either because you can’t move around, or you’re in Poison or something similar and cannot heal.

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I don’t feel like it’s the mobs that are a drag in Orr. It’s grander than that – the from the ground up, the zones aren’t designed to be fun or inspiring or adventurous or anything remotely entertaining.

My dream is ANet gives us a couple new lvl 80 zones that are designed to be fun and challenging while including the high level crafting mats we want.

Posted by: vox.5019

vox.5019

Dodge. Condition removal. Cantrip. Intelligence. Willingness to learn.

If you’re lacking any of those I can see how Orr might be tough. Unfortunately Anet can’t make 2 of those slottable. But I have yet to see a convincing argument as to why they should make it so you don’t need these things.

This industry just needs to move on. We’ve seen a bunch of “WoW 2.0” attempts, and
who actually wants that? Do we really want to be playing those same game mechanics for
another 5 or 10 years? -Mike O’Brien

Posted by: WasAGuest.4973

WasAGuest.4973

Am I the only person on earth who has very little problems getting around in Orr?

No. I find Orr extremely easy to navigate. It’s just absolutely no fun to adventure in and has boring and poorly designed mobs (Risen). For an “end game” zone that should be about a battle front, Orr falls flat.

Maybe I was spoiled from Tabula Rasa and seeing how they did “Battle Lines” and true PvE battle lines with their AI… but Orr… ugh.

Posted by: Calae.1738

Calae.1738

Or people running to DEs
Or people running to temples
Or people completing the map
Or people in the process of doing a mobile DE
Or people trying to fight a horde of risen just to get juggled around for an hour
etc etc

I think you forgot a few groups of folks in your baseless and completely farfetched generalization

Condition removal has to be part of your build. It’s not like we don’t have the tools to counter stuns, cripples, knockbacks ect. The last thing anyone wants is for this game to be so easy that you’ll fall asleep playing after 2 minutes.

I like the fact that the enemy is knocking me around. They interrupted my attack and now I have to adjust.

Posted by: Cernow.3974

Cernow.3974

The last thing anyone wants is for this game to be so easy that you’ll fall asleep playing after 2 minutes.

The last thing anyone wants is for the game to be so annoying you’d rather log out and do something else. Which is how Orr makes me feel.

Orr is not particularly difficult, but it is tedious because the difficulty is achieved through artificially pumping everything up and overtuning the zone, rather than any genuinely challenging game mechanics.

Posted by: Kromsin.6359

Kromsin.6359

Orr is horrible solo. Duoing makes it much better. Tone down the spawns and thin it out a hair.

Posted by: Voqar.2349

Voqar.2349

I find players dragging 10 mobs behind them and having most of them peel off that person and attack me instead a lot more annoying. The way aggro (doesn’t) work in this game is very stupid and you see it more in Orr than anywhere. It’s pitiful and amateur game design that leads to griefing.

I find the fact that you can gather while in combat a lot more annoying. It means people just hit and run nodes while dragging mobs all over the place (see previous point). It’s pitiful and amateur game design that leads to griefing. You see this more in Orr zones than anywhere.

The snares, knockdowns, and the fact that there might be 1 mob type in all of Orr that doesn’t have an annoying ability would be a lot less annoying if you only had to deal with the mobs YOU aggroed or activated, instead of the incessant trains created by bung wipes plowing thru the zone not fighting anything.

Posted by: yandere.9176

yandere.9176

Actually I opened a topic that Orr is in fact a very boring place to play. I think I never went back there after getting my 100% map completion and finished the personal story. You can’t even finish your daily there because you don’t get the kill variaty together.

To get on topic the mobs does’t help. Risen are overall pretty uninteresting to fight.
There are a few cool once like the Giants, the Spectrals or even the Chickens. Must most of them are just bland and forgettable. I can never remeber which one pulls, cripples or knockdown. But it doesn’t matter anyway, because I use my stunbreaker or my condition remover and just keep ingoring them.
They have nothing why I would want to fight them so I simply don’t and since the aggro distance is so long in Orr I usually unintentionally train a lot of Risen behind me which further annoys my fellow player, which is a kind of akward feeling to be honest.

Let’s be honest here. The only reaon why Orr is populated is because it is the last and highest level region in the game. So the karma rewards and loot drops are much better. But for anybody how isn’t loot motivated Orr just has nothing to offer.

Desolation – Mistress of significance level