Please, return to old, classic designs!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Rather than 14th century Europe plus 250 years, it may be more like an advanced civilization integrating with a less-advanced one, and the results 250 years later. Think Native Americans and the Europeans that settled in the Americas. Quite the influence, I believe.

The Asura weren’t around in Prophesies, Factions, Nightfall, but after being chased to the surface in EotN, and then influencing the above-ground population, the result, 250 years later, is what we see now.

I like the Guild Wars universe…then and now.

Good luck.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

The Asura weren’t around in Prophesies, Factions, Nightfall, but after being chased to the surface in EotN, and then influencing the above-ground population, the result, 250 years later, is what we see now.

Have you watched the original, pre-release trailers from 2009? Like this one, for instance? The original concept for GW2’s Rata Sum looked a lot more like GW1 (i.e., “classic” design) than the current, clean, high-tech look it has. Especially since Asura come from below the surface, their city designs do require a less modern, less clean design, which said original version had.

So, rather have a good art-design than a classic one.

But they don’t have that, either!

Have you looked at recent content, legendary weapons, armor and new WvW gear in particular? Plain awful!

P.S. Since Braham is certainly going to get Taimi killed in the next episode, there is at least hope for the magitech part to tone down.

(edited by Ashantara.8731)

Posted by: Redfeather.6401

Redfeather.6401

One part I like is the mordremoth vines going through the buildings in central tyria. Looks really interesting without relying too much on sci-fi or magic.

Posted by: HamHat.5201

HamHat.5201

I miss the classic lions arch.

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

Have you watched the original, pre-release trailers from 2009? Like this one, for instance? The original concept for GW2’s Rata Sum looked a lot more like GW1 (i.e., “classic” design) than the current, clean, high-tech look it has. Especially since Asura come from below the surface, their city designs do require a less modern, less clean design, which said original version had.

I don’t see the underground as something that needs to be something less clean or less modern just because it’s underground. That sounds like a very generic and limited view on it. Also that video shows all things that have been used as props for the asura.

If anything, I would expect it to be less clean because of the numerous experiments and accidents of said experiments would cause. But not because of them originally being an underground race.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: FairyNuff.3452

FairyNuff.3452

Being weirdly strict regarding genres is terrible.

I personally am happy that instead of an entirely rustic generic fantasy world where everyone lives in medieval times but they have magic.

There is the Charr with their not so dissimilar from rl tech with war machines and industrial style metalwork. Also the Asura that are using magic scientifically to create the various magitech style things.

(edited by Moderator)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

“I am playing this game for its genre, which is fantasy not mecha-tech or sci-fi. Please, have a heart and return to the roots and very heart of GW. Don’t let it glide into some futuristic “modern age”."

Fantasy only means it’s imaginary with “fantastical” elements, such as dragons, magic, nonhuman races, all of which this game has. It may not match your wish for rustic fantasy but complex civilization based on magic instead of science is a fantasy genre.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

8 years ago i made a dedication video to the beauty of Ascalon in GW,
and i totally agree, we need less scifi and more true fantasy,
i cant wait to see the crystal desert, i hope they do it justice!
i hope we still have hydras and forgotten to fight, and OH GOD THE SAND WURMS!

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

I miss the classic lions arch.

This

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

What is it with the increasing amount of sci-fi and high-tech designs the design team has been pushing down my throat as of late? Buildings, weapons, armor, utilities etc.

Well the world advanced 250 years. Magitech is everywhere. For science!

It’s already been said multiple times in this thread that that’s just a lame excuse and poor attempt to explain this nonsense, as it makes no sense whatsoever.

The GW1 setting was something like 14th or 15th century Earth, so add 250 years to that and then tell me again that in the 17th/18th century we had choppers, machine guns, alien-movie type of armor and the like…

How about the difference between the year 1767 and today? Definitely a significant change in technology.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

I don’t see the underground as something that needs to be something less clean or less modern just because it’s underground.

I understand what you are saying, and yes, of course that is correct. I was merely arguing that the original version of GW2’s Rata Sum looked a lot more like GW1’s, with some spots of green and sand etc., and not that hyper-clean, hyper-tidy, hyper-high-tech, flawless place we have now. I prefer the previous, more “archaic” looking version.

Being weirdly strict regarding genres is terrible.

It is not “weird”, it is a question of personal taste. Calling people weird whose opinion happens to defer from yours is quite rude.

I personally am happy that instead of an entirely rustic generic fantasy world where everyone lives in medieval times but they have magic.

There is the Charr with their not so dissimilar from rl tech with war machines and industrial style metalwork. Also the Asura that are using magic scientifically to create the various magitech style things.

I didn’t say anything against that, I said that — compared to GW2 in 2012 — the devs are currently taking it to far. That was the main premise of my OP.

And I stand by that.

• I don’t want an Asura using high-tech to figure every important story step out for me, I want classic adventure where I do all of that myself the old fashioned way.
  • I don’t want armor and weapon sets that look like they came out of a sci-fi movie but rather a wider variety of classic-style sets.
  • etc.