Please stop making us press CTRL constantly

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: nexxe.7081

nexxe.7081

They should just add a toggle.

It was a legacy feature from GW1, but it wasn’t needed in GW2, so they should just get rid of it.

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I just have it bound to my thumb button on my mouse, it’s easy. I feel like this is more of an l2p problem than an ANet problem.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Should make it so when you walk near a chest it flies up and strikes you in the face.

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

I just have it bound to my thumb button on my mouse, it’s easy. I feel like this is more of an l2p problem than an ANet problem.

Its a quality of life issue.

If its an easy change to make it a toggle, there is no reason not to do it.

nexxe.7081

Huh? It has nothing to do with learning to play. It’s an inconvenience. It has nothing to do with challenge. It’s about as useful as holding ctrl down to see players/npcs names.

I understand why they do it though, because they actually want people to search for items such as the coins in dry top or silverwastes, but they could actually code those to be ignored by the feature.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Its a quality of life issue.

If its an easy change to make it a toggle, there is no reason not to do it.

A option to toggle wouldn’t hurt.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Yes please add this option Anet. I’m sick of holding down the ctrl button to see buried chests.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: eyestrain.3056

eyestrain.3056

Another vote in support of OP.

Posted by: Aesa.4819

Aesa.4819

Yeah this is driving me crazy, just turn it into a toggle.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This is one of the many hand health features I believe the game needs and compiled in a suggestion.

Ctrl and Alt would either have an option to make them toggleable in general options, or alternate key bindings in the control options.

So instead having to hold them to quickly toggle between them being active or not, you¡ll just have to press once.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Yes please!!! I’d love a toggle instead of pressing ctrl all the time.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: Virgil.6729

Virgil.6729

What I have done to get over this is that I have a Razor Naga mouse. On GW2, I switch it to numlk (there is a switch for numlk or 123 buttons for the 1-6 on its side) I mapped that to one of the buttons on the side so its super easy to hold it down when I am walking around. I do it without notice now and get annoyed when I can’t do it in other games.

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

dont know if allowed, but AutoHotKey (<- google it) does the job:

sticky key script:
kcnt=0
Capslock::
kcnt++
If kcnt = 1
Send {Control Down}
Else
{
Send {Control Up}
kcnt=0
}
Return

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Posted by: uhohhotdog.3598

uhohhotdog.3598

I keep ending up linking skills on map chat because of holding down ctrl all the time x.x

Well that explains that

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Hmm, I’m in the camp that never uses this feature. In fact I’ve remapped control to something else entirely.

I like having to look for things using my eyes on the screen – and nightmare pods are seriously easy to find given they glow bright pink in a dark background.

Remove the feature completely I’d say because it defeats the challenge of having to find something.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

a weird complaint I have never heard before, probably GW2 really drew in a lot of players not used to MMORPG or keyboard games in general. The control key is really easy and ergonomically unproblematic with the usual wasd-hand. Still, sure, why not. But don´t hold your breath. Anet doesn´t even bother with removing the mouse-killers, a standard use all/open all like almost every contemporary game has (where it matters) is still and forever absent it seems.

Posted by: Silmar Alech.4305

Silmar Alech.4305

I confess that I made a autohotkey script a year ago (or even longer, don’t remember exactly) that links holding down the right mouse button with holding down the ctrl key. Whenever I press the right mouse button, the ctrl key is pressed as well, and whenever I release the right mouse button, the ctrl key is released as well.
This improves my game experience tremendously.

If I should be banned because of the usage of such trivial convenience functions, then I so be it. I would not try to return. On the other hand, it’s only “pressing one mouse key becomes pressing one keyboard key”.

Posted by: Feirlista Xv.1425

Feirlista Xv.1425

I have never had an issue with this and this is the first post ever read on this. I think it’s fine the way it is the whole point is you are suppose to find something, making it any easier then why bother with it at all. I agree with taking the key away completely and only highlight when you get close and mouse over it.

Opinions are like ______ everyone has one I could
put the correct term in but not everyone has kittens

Kal Spiro.9745

Huh? It has nothing to do with learning to play. It’s an inconvenience. It has nothing to do with challenge. It’s about as useful as holding ctrl down to see players/npcs names.

I understand why they do it though, because they actually want people to search for items such as the coins in dry top or silverwastes, but they could actually code those to be ignored by the feature.

What does challenge have to do with learning to play? Being able to rebind a key to something more convenient, like caps lock, or scroll lock, is just as much understanding how the game works as dodging. Like I said, which was my point, I rebound it to the thumb button on my mouse, which made it much more convenient. If you don’t like pressing ctrl, make it something else.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

This is right up there with a resizeable and centering mouse cursor.

My biggest complaint.. absolutely no way to find your cursor fast in a snowstorm or heavy fight. That little divot of a cursor needs to be replaceable with something that allows vision impaired people to play the game effectively.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

ArenaNet doesn’t care about what makes peoples’ hands or wrists hurt. I have RSI, and it is flared up daily by this game (especially loot bags and the horrible process of selling my collectibles on the TP at anything other than instant sell value).

They have done absolutely nothing to curve this, ever. Nor anything to help remedy any other health problem (poor UI organization, no high contrast, etc.).

I used to respect them alot but their continued ignorance of disabilities and just how stressful their game is on the hands has seriously irritated me for a long time now and made me stop buying gems about half a year ago. I farm gold to convert to gems instead, that way I at least have some kind of benefit from my pain.

You’re not the only one. This is the only MMO out there that actually physically hurts playing for me. I’ve reported this way back when, near launch, but they never did anything even halfway serious to give some relief from the click- and twitchfest.

Posted by: Brostrodon.1657

Brostrodon.1657

I’ve never had an issue with any of this. I use my mouse entirely to move my character, even dodge rolling with side buttons. Then i switched the buttons on my keyboard to better be adjusted to pushing ctrl when i need to with my little finger.

nexxe.7081

What does challenge have to do with learning to play? Being able to rebind a key to something more convenient, like caps lock, or scroll lock, is just as much understanding how the game works as dodging. Like I said, which was my point, I rebound it to the thumb button on my mouse, which made it much more convenient. If you don’t like pressing ctrl, make it something else.

Then don’t use “l2p” which implies that people should be “learning” how to overcome a challenge, problem, or task.

If you want to talk about degrees of learning, such as dodge, there is no comparison between the two. With dodge, you’re trying to evade and survive, with holding ctrl down, you’re trying to view nameplates on objects.

The latter is an inconvenience, and i’ve already explained why they do it. It’s because they want people to find objects as some sort of challenge, but there are better ways of doing it than holding down a button and hiding nameplates.

As i’ve already said, it’s a legacy feature from GW1, but it’s not one that people would miss. They need to make it a toggle.

Kal Spiro.9745

Then don’t use “l2p” which implies that people should be “learning” how to overcome a challenge, problem, or task.

If you want to talk about degrees of learning, such as dodge, there is no comparison between the two. With dodge, you’re trying to evade and survive, with holding ctrl down, you’re trying to view nameplates on objects.

The latter is an inconvenience, and i’ve already explained why they do it. It’s because they want people to find objects as some sort of challenge, but there are better ways of doing it than holding down a button and hiding nameplates.

As i’ve already said, it’s a legacy feature from GW1, but it’s not one that people would miss. They need to make it a toggle.

You missed the point, pretty sure you didn’t even bother to read a single word. It’s still learn to play, l2p, to figure out rebinding as it is to learn to beat a boss or a fractal or wtf ever. If it is an aspect of the game that you have not mastered to make your life easier in any situation, not just a challenging situation, then it is an l2p situation.

(edited by Kal Spiro.9745)

Posted by: MikeE.5947

MikeE.5947

I keep ending up linking skills on map chat because of holding down ctrl all the time x.x

Yeah and spamming while double clicking silky sand!!! LOL happens to me all the time.

Kal Spiro.9745

Yeah and spamming while double clicking silky sand!!! LOL happens to me all the time.

Is that why people randomly link things? I’ve often wondered about that. It’s been so long since I’ve had that bound to ctrl that I never even had a reason to do that. Rebind the key. Never have to do it again.

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

Yea I would like to see fixes for the buffs too!
Did they said something about the fixes in expansion ?

Attachments:

Posted by: Hannelore.8153

Hannelore.8153

Rebinding it doesn’t take away the need to constantly press it. How much do you play per day? Sum up all of the time then imagine yourself holding down CTRL (or any other key) constantly for all of that, never moving that finger. Do you think that is good for you? Because it isn’t, and you’ll pay for it a few years down the road.

Daisuki [SUKI] LGBT-Friendly Guild Leader | NA – Jade Quarry
I’m usually really sweet… but this an internet forum and you know how it has to be.
/i’m a lesbiab… lesbiam… less bien… GIRLS/

nexxe.7081

You missed the point, pretty sure you didn’t even bother to read a single word. It’s still learn to play, l2p, to figure out rebinding as it is to learn to beat a boss or a fractal or wtf ever. If it is an aspect of the game that you have not mastered to make your life easier in any situation, not just a challenging situation, then it is an l2p situation.

No, you’re the one missing the point entirely, but i’m not going to respond again if you can’t comprehend what i’m saying, or refuse to understand.

Rebinding isn’t going to change the way the mechanic works. You will still have to hold a key down in order to see nameplates on objects. You cannot toggle it indefinitely either, even if it’s a macro.

Holding down Ctrl is essential while farming or finding objects in a zerg.

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

I just noticed that when I have control problems in other games, it’s because I find myself instinctively holding down the ctrl key and right mouse button when moving.

At least I can hold back the “nervous tick” of spamming my AOE loot constantly during battles.

Can’t believe I never thoght of mapping to one of the side buttons on my logitech mouse.. So many options that I don’t map currently because I use them to hold it!

Posted by: Hiwi Kiwi.7386

Hiwi Kiwi.7386

I don’t understand why they don’t fix this. As well as make it an option to right click a stack of items (ie. loot bags/luck) and hit open all. It’s like they enjoy our pain ..

" ’Cause in the end, all you really have are memories. "
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted by: Pickles.9436

Pickles.9436

I don’t understand why they don’t fix this. As well as make it an option to right click a stack of items (ie. loot bags/luck) and hit open all. It’s like they enjoy our pain ..

keybind it to something else

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

clicker spotted :P

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

Posted by: circuitnerd.5863

circuitnerd.5863

Ive made this suggestion before also as have others in this thread but its gone completely unseen. CTRL as a toggle. Holding down CTRL with ur left pinky gets awkward.

Certified Gameaholic

Posted by: Serraphin Storm.2369

Serraphin Storm.2369

You people sound so old complain about hand pain because you have to press a button or two. If its really an issue buy yourself a gaming mouse with a macro feature. Razor naga allow you to set up macro as toggles you press once to turn it on and again to turn it off.

I rather anet spend the time tackling real issues especially an issue that doesn’t affect everyone and can be fixed on the user end.

In order to properly understand the big picture,
everyone should fear becoming mentally clouded and obsessed with one small section of truth.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

it is l2p, just on a very, very low level usually not even brought up. l2 think and use available options, if that sounds any better.

Kal Spiro.9745

No, you’re the one missing the point entirely, but i’m not going to respond again if you can’t comprehend what i’m saying, or refuse to understand.

Rebinding isn’t going to change the way the mechanic works. You will still have to hold a key down in order to see nameplates on objects. You cannot toggle it indefinitely either, even if it’s a macro.

Holding down Ctrl is essential while farming or finding objects in a zerg.

No, you’re right, I don’t comprehend. I have never experienced this situation in this game, and I’ve been playing since early access. Why in the world would you need to have nameplates on constantly, rather than only intermittently. There should be extensive periods of time in which you don’t actually need to see name plates at all, and only brief periods in which they’re necessary.

Perhaps this is an entirely different aspect of play that you’re just making more complicated for yourself than is necessary. Which would fall under yet another aspect of l2p that still isn’t relevant to challenging content.

Posted by: Coopziana.1802

Coopziana.1802

Simple Fix for ANET. Set CTRL as a toggle, rather than “on hold”. That should do the trick!

Like & Subscribe to “Game Slobs” on YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/gameslobsuk

Posted by: shimmershine.3156

shimmershine.3156

I think if Anet really wanted us to search for these things, they wouldn’t have made the nameplates visible with the CTRL button. Even then, there are other things besides nodes, and chests that are viewable with this.

Posted by: gajalu.8965

gajalu.8965

Google just brought me here. Can’t believe this is still not addressed.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

diablo accomplishes this quite elegantly.
there’s a toggle to show items immediately on dropping, and holding alt will highlight them. They stay lit for several seconds after its released, then taper away.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

I am not sure what the issue even is? I always see labels above chests and the like.

Posted by: Killface.1896

Killface.1896

Well toggle highlight key would be good then I can use my Ctrl key for somthink more usfull.

Posted by: Kaldo.4170

Kaldo.4170

My pinky is literally hurting after playing GW2 because it’s instinctively constantly holding Ctrl and Alt… really uncomfortable hand position if you play for longer times.

(edited by Kaldo.4170)

Posted by: CandyHearts.6025

CandyHearts.6025

I would like to stop having to hold control almost as much as I would love to not have to hold down a mouse button to turn my camera. Both hands are always so tired

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Adding my support, I would love a toggle for this function also.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

1) an on/off toggle for highlighting “yellow” items
2) an on/off toggle so I don’t have to continuously hold down the mouse button when moving (and still have the ability to change direction of movement).

Both of these. Having to press buttons continuously for extended periods is bad for hand health.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: TheRandomGuy.7246

TheRandomGuy.7246

In game option would be nice. But for now you can use windows build in toggle keys option or some third party program to create them.
Windows one is very easy to use. Single tap to toggle and double tap to return to normal.

Posted by: Sylum.1806

Sylum.1806

+1 on the suggestion to change Ctrl key to toggle. Can’t move and jump at the same time when holding down the Ctrl key. Need this QoL fix.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I agree. A toggle makes the most sense. But, in the meantime, there’s Scotch tape.

Gone to Reddit.