Please stop once-per-day content

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

Why are we ensuring an arbitrary 15 days minimum? I must have missed that part of the conversation.

Because a single ascended piece is set at 20 laurels. you can get a maximum of 40 laurels per month thus 20 laurels take 15 days to get on average.

The 20 laurels price is specific. They could have priced each part to any amount of laurel they choose. They priced it at 20 because they want a 1 per 15 day acquisition rate.

We also went on speculating on the reason for that. My theory discussed in detail in previous posts is because of vertical progression. This game is split into two groups. 1 group wants vertical progression and doesnt care about cosmetics. The other group really really doesnt want vertical progression and they care about cosmetics. Ascended gear is a compromise, one that has an expirey date. Once people who really want vertical progression get the sets they want that compromise becomes null and void. Arenanet will then have to either introduce a new tier or hope this group will stick around even though they no longer have anything they consider a meaningful reward. The 15 day per piece simply ensures ascended armor remains in play for a long time.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Items like legendaries and ascended items give addicts, like myself, something to do. Adding time gating, grinding, etc. are necessary so we don’t just get the latest shiny within a few hours of its release. The stats are irrelevant – the shinies aren’t meant for the mainstream, but the OCD’s who want more more more more more. I’m happily part of that group, and I feel it’s OKAY that ArenaNET makes so much of this content that it’s darn near impossible to get it all without completely giving up your real life.

Do you have EVERYTHING in the real world? Probably not. If you did, I suspect you’d be getting your thrills flying your Lear Jet, not playing Guild Wars.

I suggest tempering your own expectations. If you feel that you HAVE to spend all of your time playing to get ALL of the achievements, it’s time to evaluate their importance in your life.

The worst part about this game is the constant trash talking on the forum.

You want a challenge? Stop playing PvE! No AI will ever give you the challenge of an organized PvP team.

ArenaNET is staying consistent to their original vision by limiting the progression opportunity in the game. It’s ridiculous that there are seven pages of bickering over whether players should have everything handed to them or WORK for it.

To meet the wide variety of player types, ArenaNET must offer a wide variety of options that appeal each. If you want something that is in the “wrong category,” it’s YOUR problem, not the game’s. Once you are past that, you will have the choice to enjoy the game or move on.

I bet you all that the time spent on this forum has a bigger impact on the game’s attendance than dailies.

PLAY THE GAME!!!!

It’s not about not working for it. It’s about how you go about working for it, by play time or by play frequency. The argument is play frequency levels the acquisition rate while play time would mean their will be a spike of players with them followed at a slower rate by everyone else. Basically you will be penalized for having a life outside of the game.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

(edited by Behellagh.1468)

Posted by: NewTrain.7549

NewTrain.7549

Why are we ensuring an arbitrary 15 days minimum? I must have missed that part of the conversation.

Because a single ascended piece is set at 20 laurels. you can get a maximum of 40 laurels per month thus 20 laurels take 15 days to get on average.

The 20 laurels price is specific. They could have priced each part to any amount of laurel they choose. They priced it at 20 because they want a 1 per 15 day acquisition rate.

That’s how I thought you’d answer.

Question: If any given piece of ascended gear is worth 15 days, then how is it possible to get a ring from one level 10 fractal run? If Anet truly wanted the price of a piece of ascended gear to be 15 days, they wouldn’t have included this.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Question: If any given piece of ascended gear is worth 15 days, then how is it possible to get a ring from one level 10 fractal run? If Anet truly wanted the price of a piece of ascended gear to be 15 days, they wouldn’t have included this.

I can answer that:

They wanted it to be RNG or 15 days, from the assumptions of the timeframe. Therefore anyone really wanting it could farm for it from the Fractals or wait it out. Similarly, the Accessories and Guild Commendations.

. . . and no, I’m not saying the values are good, but that’s the theory I’ve determined is behind it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

NewTrain.7549

I can answer that:

They wanted it to be RNG or 15 days, from the assumptions of the timeframe. Therefore anyone really wanting it could farm for it from the Fractals or wait it out. Similarly, the Accessories and Guild Commendations.

. . . and no, I’m not saying the values are good, but that’s the theory I’ve determined is behind it.

So then, for the purposes of analogies, using 15 days as the measure of an ascended item’s absolute value is flawed, yes?

Behellagh.1468

Before Laurels wasn’t fractals the only way to get rings? So Laurels was a way for non fractal players to get one. The devs mistake was not adding the other items to the fractal reward system when they added the Laurel system.

RIP City of Heroes

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Before Laurels wasn’t fractals the only way to get rings? So Laurels was a way for non fractal players to get one. The devs mistake was not adding the other items to the fractal reward system when they added the Laurel system.

Before Laurels, Fractals was the only way to get Rings, and the only way to get Mists vials for back items.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

So then, for the purposes of analogies, using 15 days as the measure of an ascended item’s absolute value is flawed, yes?

All analogies are flawed. It’s like trying to create a perfect sphere from a block of wood with sandpaper and bare hands only.

NewTrain.7549

All analogies are flawed. It’s like trying to create a perfect sphere from a block of wood with sandpaper and bare hands only.

Yes, but to use your imperfect analogy as an imperfect analogy, using 15 days as the measure of value is like using a football as a measure of a perfect sphere…for the wood-sanding guy.

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

@Dog. I am happy you made that example cause maybe you’re see what i mean if I use your own numbers.

So you state 15 days is equal to 360hrs thats a bit excessive but it doesnt change things just their relativity.

So in your example spans 4 days:
Now, I can spend 3 hours today farming for it.
Then I can spend 12 hours the next day farming for it.
Then I take the next day off.
Then I spend 4 hours farming for it.

out of the 360hrs you did 19 hrs progress. That means you didnt even do a full day progress. Had this been using the laurel system you’d have done 3 days progress.
Base on your example I could have no logged on once and made the same exact progress you did logging on 3 days out of 4. But thats not the real point either No one is expecting rewards for free, this isnt about that… however in your example those 19hrs were spent running specific content, the most profitable dungeon or farming the mob that drops whatever you need. with the daily those 19 hrs where spent playing whatever I want to play be it WvW, PvE, Dungeons, Crafting, whatever…
So let me ask you this.. Whats the real advantage your system gives players? Cause all I can see is disadvantages…

It will take you longer to get the reward… based on your progression in these 4 days if you had to repeat that pattern it would take you 76 days to get a single ascended piece while if that same pattern was repeated using the daily it would take you 20 days to get a single piece (instead of 15 days)

With your system I have to spend 360 hrs farming the same content, with the dailies I just have to spend a minimum of 10hrs playing whatever I enjoy doing for a single piece.

With your system some one who cannot afford to play long stretchs like 12hrs in one day but can only play 2 – 4hrs max will take 120 days (based on your pattern of 2,0,4,4 hrs played over 4 days) to get a single piece. With the current system that play will still get his piece in 20 days.

Really what tangible thing would we gain by switching systems?

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is that you completely fail to comprehend the point here? I’m just going to copy and paste this ten times until you understand this.

This removes the existence of the rest of the hours in a day and removes the difference between people who want to put forth more effort towards something, or less.
This removes the existence of the rest of the hours in a day and removes the difference between people who want to put forth more effort towards something, or less.

Okay I’ll stop at 3. You keep assuming that everyone should be allowed the same progress every day after spending enough time to finish the daily. You are so completely blind that it’s overwhelming.

In your mind you think that anyone and everyone is only allowed to make equal progress no matter how much time more time they can spend after a daily.

The reality of it, is that is the opposite of equality. This system plays out so that no matter how much time you spend on a specific day, everyone earns 24 hours. A player who plays for 8 hours is not equal to a person who plays for 1 hour. Yet a daily reward treats as if they are.

No time gated content rewards people for the amount of time they play. This means that someone who has played for exactly 500 hours will have as many rewards as someone who has played for 500 hours. This is what equality is.

Your point of view is so incredibly skewed and you don’t even understand it.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

Galen Grey.4709

I would hope so since I am replying in what I truly believe to be the logical reason and not some invented excuse to win the argument

Acquisition time in fractals is controlled by limiting the daily chest to once per day per 2 levels, the drop rate and also because by the drop being random. Ie just cause a ring drops it does not necessarily mean you got the ring you want, it could have stats you didnt want. I never farmed Fractals for rings so I have no idea how long it takes to get the ring you want running fractals.

That being said they’re allowed to fine tune stuff that doesnt work out as intended. Looking at crafting celestial gear for example, thats exotic and now with the charge crystal its being gated at 5 days per piece. There is no reason to put a gate on it stats wise, it isnt any better then other exotic gear so I can only assume that they intended exotic gear to take 5 days to acquire per piece as well its just that reality didnt meet their projections? I don’t know its a possiblity.

what I know is laurels give them a perfect mechanism the control acquiring speed. If they wanted ascended gear to take 5 days to acquire and not 15 they could easily price it at 8 laurels. The fact that choose 20 instead of 3, 5, 8 etc… has to have a reason and the only reason that fits is because they wanted it to take 15 days. Can you think of any other reason?

Galen Grey.4709

I can answer that:

could be or could be not depends how much the average time to get the ring you want in fractals is And even then it would depend whether the real drop rate in fractal matched with the expectations Arenanet had it would be.

Like Tobias pointed out they could have used a token system like they do in dungeons instead. They did RNG instead as well as limiting the tries per day simply to slow the acquisition down.

NewTrain.7549

Can you think of any other reason?

I honestly don’t try to put myself into the heads of video game developers. It’s a scary place I have no desire to visit…like Mississippi.

But no, I see what you’re saying. My point is simply this: if the absolute value of an ascended item is 15 days, they would not be obtainable through RNG fractal chests. We can say the value is close to 15 days, but even that becomes muddy. How are we defining days? I get my laurels entirely through PvP. 3 matches a day and I’m done. That’s less than 30 mins. Are we then defining days as 30 min play sessions? See how trying to establish the absolute value of an item is problematic?

(edited by NewTrain.7549)

Galen Grey.4709

Yes, but to use your imperfect analogy as an imperfect analogy, using 15 days as the measure of value is like using a football as a measure of a perfect sphere…for the wood-sanding guy.

Only 15 days for 20 laurels isnt an analogy. Its a fact. Its a perfect amount in that no matter what any other variable is, how much you play, how much you farm, how lucky you are… it will always take 15 days of playing the game to earn 20 laurels.

In fractals the other variables change things drastically. How many times you play, how many even levels you farm per day, how lucky you get with your drop etc..

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Items like legendaries and ascended items give addicts, like myself, something to do. Adding time gating, grinding, etc. are necessary so we don’t just get the latest shiny within a few hours of its release. The stats are irrelevant – the shinies aren’t meant for the mainstream, but the OCD’s who want more more more more more. I’m happily part of that group, and I feel it’s OKAY that ArenaNET makes so much of this content that it’s darn near impossible to get it all without completely giving up your real life.

Do you have EVERYTHING in the real world? Probably not. If you did, I suspect you’d be getting your thrills flying your Lear Jet, not playing Guild Wars.

I suggest tempering your own expectations. If you feel that you HAVE to spend all of your time playing to get ALL of the achievements, it’s time to evaluate their importance in your life.

The worst part about this game is the constant trash talking on the forum.

You want a challenge? Stop playing PvE! No AI will ever give you the challenge of an organized PvP team.

ArenaNET is staying consistent to their original vision by limiting the progression opportunity in the game. It’s ridiculous that there are seven pages of bickering over whether players should have everything handed to them or WORK for it.

To meet the wide variety of player types, ArenaNET must offer a wide variety of options that appeal each. If you want something that is in the “wrong category,” it’s YOUR problem, not the game’s. Once you are past that, you will have the choice to enjoy the game or move on.

I bet you all that the time spent on this forum has a bigger impact on the game’s attendance than dailies.

PLAY THE GAME!!!!

It’s not about not working for it. It’s about how you go about working for it, by play time or by play frequency. The argument is play frequency levels the acquisition rate while play time would mean fewer players will have in the same amount of time. Basically you will be penalized for having a life outside of the game.

first of all, you arent penalized, because they arent taking anything away from you. No more than you are penalized by not getting paid for the hours you dont work.

The problem with most the daily mechanics they introduce, is they dont enhance the world, or the game experience. They arbirarilly ask you to do some things, most likely at least 1 of which will be annoying. They dont follow any narrative, or really gameplay.

the best item implementation they did is fractals
you got a challenge element, get up to 10 difficulty
you got a time lock, one per day you can win a ring
you got a method of getting psast the time through skill/effort, get to the next 10 levels you can gamble another time per day.

It is the best amalgam of the methods.

the time gate should be soft bottom, and hard cap,
the actual method should enhance the reward from doing normal activities.

heres how i would handle laurels
1st name the avchievement tiers in multiples of 1000, (so 0-999 is starter, 1000-1999 is known, 2000-2999 appreciated 3000-3999 town hero 4000-4999 local legend, etc)

for each tier of achievements, you can get 1 laurel per day, but each laurel gets harder to get per day.

so first is given for a daily (recreate daily to be closer to, you did stuff today rather than random pick with about 20% being hated by most players)

second requires you to do 3 lauded activities (like complete a jump puzzle, finish one of the area event chains, gain X amount exp, kill X amount of monsters etc)

third requires 6 more lauded activities

fourth requires 12 more

fifth reequires 24

so the idea is essentially you can work harder to get something, or just chill, playing 30
min will allow you to achieve something playing an hour will make you get faster, going beyond that you ll be spending more total time for less reward, but you earn it.
But now, there is reasons to run different dungeons, do jumping puzzles, etc. You can also skip the daily and just do 3 lauded things.
also more point in higher achievements, and slightly less harsh on alts people.

Galen Grey.4709

Do you have any idea how frustrating it is that you completely fail to comprehend the point here? I’m just going to copy and paste this ten times until you understand this.

Yes, I can assure you I know how frustrating it is.

You listed lots of things but failed to answer my central question. What is the advantage?

The only think you listed is because it creates inequality. Which is false btw. I’ll get into that soon. But even if you were right how is equality an advantage? How is we’re both been forced to play 360hrs in content we may both not enjoy for this one piece an advantage over we played a different amount of time of content we enjoyed before we got a reward?

now as for the equality argument itself. You have to complete 10 dailies and a monthly or 20 dailies. I have to complete 10 dailies and a monthly or 20 dailies. It takes you 30 minutes per day to complete 1 daily, it takes me 30 minutes to complete 1 daily. Where is the inequality cause I surely dont see it?

Just cause I quit the game 1.5 hrs after my daily while you quite 9 hours after the daily does that mean you work more then I did on the daily? no we both worked exactly the same. There is no inequality. Simply speaking if I go buy a meal from a fast food I use a fraction of the money I earned that month but it doesnt mean I worked the whole month for that meal. Same here just cause you played 9 hours it doesnt mean your effort for the daily was the whole 9 hrs, it was a fraction of that, the time it took to complete the objectives that are the same for everyone.

On the other hand there would be with your proposed method.

Person A works/has a family and a 2nd job, 2hrs now and then is all he can afford 6hrs a week max.
Person B works so for him/her 8hrs of farming every day is completely out of the question, 4 hrs per day is all they can afford
Person C is A student on summer holidays, 8hrs per day of farming in summer is not a problem
Person D is unemployed 12hrs of farming per day is welcome as it helps them forget their troubles

Thats your inequality right there.
360hrs for Person D is nothing… 30 days and done.
360 hours for person C is though but not a problem 45 days and done
360 hours of person B is though but they can get a piece every 90 days
360 hours of person A is impossible 420 days just for a single piece

For a full set, person D will take a Year … thats fine
For a full set Person C will take 1 year 6 months … thats already a problem
for a full set Person B will take 3 years … Hmmm nope
For a full set Person A will take 14 years… Game is not likely to be around long enough to finish the set.

How is that equal?

(edited by Galen Grey.4709)

Galen Grey.4709

Can you think of any other reason?

I honestly don’t try to put myself into the heads of video game developers. It’s a scary place I have desire to visit…like Mississippi.

But no, I see what you’re saying. My point is simply this: if the absolute value of an ascended item is 15 days, they would not be obtainable through RNG fractal chests. We can say the value is close to 15 days, but even that becomes muddy. How are we defining days? I get my laurels entirely through PvP. 3 matches a day and I’m done. That’s less than 30 mins. Are we then defining days as 30 min play sessions? See how trying to establish the absolute value of an item is problematic?

Poor devs. I am sure their heads are wonderful worlds to be in… anyhow…

I see what you’re saying to an you’re right.. RNG is an imperfect way to dictate time but I am sure they tried to tweak it for their chosen goal. Now they could have tweaked it to match the same 15 days but went completely wrong because they never imagine people would farm more then 1 chest per day. Or they could have gone completely wrong because they didnt expect Fractals would get abandoned so fast… I dont know, they dont know, no one knows.

The definition of a day is right now doing the objectives related to the daily which ever those might be. Because you’re limited to 1 laurel a day there is no problem the effort they require is infinitely less then what a whole day productivity can be game wise. You might general participate in 30 matches but get the daily done in match 3… doesnt matter. Part of what I like about this system is it doesnt tie you up and is fair on everyone. For Person A a day of pvp might mean 30 matches, for person B it might mean 5 matches. So what would be a fair number? the daily makes it so you just complete 3 then you’re free to do what you wish. Its good you can also work towards other rewards at the same time if you wish or it leaves you free to enjoy whatever content you find fun.

Posted by: Seezungenschleuder.8319

Seezungenschleuder.8319

As I said in another thread, I totally agree. Remove dailies and make them weeklies.

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

How is that equal?

Oh you’re a communist then?

People are not the same, they don’t game the same but they should all get the same, in the same way? That’s just Anet making it easy for themselves.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Galen Grey.4709

How is that equal?

Oh you’re a communist then?

People are not the same, they don’t game the same but they should all get the same, in the same way? That’s just Anet making it easy for themselves.

Call it what you will, I believe someone who can only play 6hrs per week shouldn’t be left out because content is designed for players who can play 84hrs per week. Thats not what this game is about. Plenty of games other where if you want the best rewards you need to complete hardcore raids that only a few guilds can afford to run.

These 2 category of players will not be on exact equal footing. The 6hrs per week person is going to take 1 month and 1 week to get a single ascended piece while the 84hrs person will get it in 10 days. But at least the 6hrs a week player can still realistically work towards the goal and isnt left in the dust just so the game caters exclusively to hardcore players.

how would you feel if the game went the other way like many of us wanted and ascended gear never made it in game at all? Would you like to have your desires disregarded? would it be fair? like wise how is it fair to exclude people just cause they cannot game as much as you do.

But the more important question is what are you trying to achieve exactly? do you want to feel superior because your free time allows you to get stuff busy people cannot hope to ever have? Do you want to put in a larger effort to get Ascended gear? what is it exactly?

Galen Grey.4709

Only I didnt say a person who spends less time playing deserves the same reward. Did I ? I said the effort required should be somethings thats reachable by both.

Someone who plays 2hrs a day 3 times a week, still needs to complete 20 dailies just like the player who plays 12hrs a day every day. The person who plays 2hrs isnt being rewarded for playing less, he is being rewarded for reaching the required 20 dailies just like the person playing 12hrs a day will.

The person who plays more will still get rewarded more MUCH more.

In 20 days the 2hr guy 3 times a week will earn something like a couple of gold, some karma and have 6 – 8 dailies completed out of his required 20.

The 12 hr a day player will have a single ascended piece, close to a 100 gold, A ton of karma, whatever else s/he decides to pursuit.

You keep thinking of this as some sort of making everyone 100% equal. Its not that as I have already explained its just to balance goals so they’re reachable by everyone.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I honestly don’t try to put myself into the heads of video game developers. It’s a scary place I have desire to visit…like Mississippi.

Sadly I know some really good developers, at least one of whom is rather up front and the few times I talked we had interesting discussions. Another who gave me some pointers on how to look at games from a metagame angle . . .

And not all the developers are for MMOs or video games, mind. Want to see a scary place? Try M:TG developers’ minds.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Person A works/has a family and a 2nd job, 2hrs now and then is all he can afford 6hrs a week max.
Person B works so for him/her 8hrs of farming every day is completely out of the question, 4 hrs per day is all they can afford
Person C is A student on summer holidays, 8hrs per day of farming in summer is not a problem
Person D is unemployed 12hrs of farming per day is welcome as it helps them forget their troubles

For a full set Person A will take 14 years… Game is not likely to be around long enough to finish the set.

How is that equal?

Person E plays every day. Person F plays the same amount of hours total, but due to work plays only on weekends.

With time gating:

For one piece, person E needs 15 days (2 weeks and a day)
For one piece, person F needs 7 weeks, and one day in the 8th week’s weekend (so 7 and a half weeks)

For a set(*), person E needs 225 days.Two-thirds of a year.
For a set, person F needs 112 and a half weeks. That’s 784 days (and half a week ;P). Over 2 years.

Both play the same amount of hours.

How is that equal?

(*) 6 armor pieces, 5 trinkets, backpack, 3 weapons(1h+off/2h set), Let’s ignore aquabreathers as they are not craftable now. Let’s ignore the fact that 15 days is the cheapest cost, and lot of pieces are priced significantly higher.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

They need to have some kind of incentive for players to logon everyday. It makes the shareholders happy :/

Galen Grey.4709

How is that equal?

Person E plays every day. Person F plays the same amount of hours total, but due to work plays only on weekends.

With time gating:

For one piece, person E needs 15 days (2 weeks and a day)
For one piece, person F needs 7 weeks, and one day in the 8th week’s weekend (so 7 and a half weeks)

For a set(*), person E needs 225 days.Two-thirds of a year.
For a set, person F needs 112 and a half weeks. That’s 784 days (and half a week ;P). Over 2 years.

Both play the same amount of hours.

How is that equal?

(*) 6 armor pieces, 5 trinkets, backpack, 3 weapons(1h+off/2h set), Let’s ignore aquabreathers as they are not craftable now. Let’s ignore the fact that 15 days is the cheapest cost, and lot of pieces are priced significantly higher.

small correction… but I am not saying you’re wrong… just you got a small mistake

Person F needs 5 weeks not 7 (4 weeks = 8 laurels from daily + 10 for monthly then another week to get the missing 2 laurels)

So person E is 2 weeks + 1 day
Person F is 5 weeks exactly

Person E needs 225 days
Person F needs 225 days as well but they will take him 525 days to complete those 225 days or 1 year and 1/2

No one said the system was perfect, Just thakittens better then the alternative. If there was no time gating and price was set to a reasonable 8hrs game play time per day (its actually small cause I am sure plenty of hardcore players play a lot more then this) and lets say Player F plays 16 hrs during the weekend and player E plays 16hrs in the entire week. It would take 1800 hours to get the entire set (farming! that alone already is a no no imho) at 16hrs per week it will take them 112 weeks to complete which will mean 2 years and 2 months.

So they’ll both put in exactly the same amount of effort to get the reward. With laurels Player E is going to get it before hitting the theoretical minimum exactly (225 days) while Player F will get it 58% of time later even though s/he has to put in the same exact effort)

without time gating both Player E and player F will get it at the same time more or less but both will get it 71% more then the theoretical minimum time.

I would consider that as a worst out come personally.

Galen Grey.4709

They need to have some kind of incentive for players to logon everyday. It makes the shareholders happy :/

Nice theory but I am afraid its wrong…. NC Soft is a public company, their share holder meetings are public. If the shareholders would be told how many people log on every day we’d know, the media would know etc. Yet we dont do we? So they’re not being told, So no this is not an exercise to please shareholders for sure.

NewTrain.7549

Sadly I know some really good developers, at least one of whom is rather up front and the few times I talked we had interesting discussions. Another who gave me some pointers on how to look at games from a metagame angle . . .

And not all the developers are for MMOs or video games, mind. Want to see a scary place? Try M:TG developers’ minds.

No doubt. I would just really hate to be living in a state where I had to make sure my artistic vision suited a publisher’s business expectations, rabid fans’ complaints, other developers’ visions, and math.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

Because there are two possibilities here. Ether a single quest chain for the whole set which is unfeasible (it would require 180 days to complete) or a quest chain per single piece that requires 15 days to complete. In either case you might want to respect in which case the quest has to be repeatable so you can get a set for your new spec.

The reason why its bound to time is because thats the real cost of loot. This is not something gw2 does, its in every game MMO or otherwise. Why are raids limited to once a week? why are drops control by RNG? Why is loot distributed between party members?…

Because these aren’t ‘cherished’ features that keep reappearing in MMOs due to their popularity, they’re cheap ways to keep you playing as long as possible, that’s why they’re ‘popular’. They keep you subscribed longer, and in a free-to-play game attempt to ‘encourage’ you to buy something from them. You’d be hard pressed to see these kind of ‘features’ outside of MMOs and games that want your money (only being able to earn five stars a day in Mario 64 is a terrifying concept).

So why are they in GW2, a game without a subscription fee that isn’t entirely ‘free-to-play’? To encourage active gameplay? This can be done by making gameplay and the game world more interesting. To prevent people from ‘burning out’? An odd excuse considering how they implemented Legendaries. “Just something other MMOs” isn’t a good reason.

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Context:
Being able to purchase Laurels with Gems.

Regardless of being able to purchase Gems with Gold, this is still a Pay-to-Win method of attaining Laurels, due to the fact that paying real money is paying for convenience.

I think we have very different definitions of win. To me convenience does not equate to winning. Heck, I’d jest that someone using real money to buy laurels is actually losing.

To be honest, I’m not concerned with the other games you listed, because we’re not discussing them. We’re discussing GW2.

And my point was that GW2 isn’t P2W. My point was that the closest you’ll get to calling GW2 P2W is the soft-boosts which don’t give you a notable boost in the first place.

P2W doesn’t necessarily mean: “I pay $10, I’m stronger than you.”, but there is no real clear-cut definition. If you go ahead and google Pay to Win then you’ll receive numerous responses that get summed up with something along the lines of:

Games that let you buy better gear or allow you to make better items then everyone else at a faster rate and then makes the game largely unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying.

And while that quote was taken from urbandictionary, it summed up the P2W experience far better (in a single statement) than all the other posts I had quickly browsed through.

Allowing players to purchase Laurels with real money would, in fact, let players buy better gear and allow them to make better items than everyone else at a faster rate.

However, on the flip side, it wouldn’t necessarily make the game largely unbalanced even for people who have skill in the game without paying, but that’s not to say that it would create a lot of complaint and drive a lot of people from the game, which is what developers do not want. (A lot of players, especially players from GW1, play GW2 because it’s ridiculously hard and inefficient to try and be P2W. Why pay $50 to hit level 80 when you can just work for it? Plus, if you level up normally, you get experience with your profession as opposed to just having an 80 of that profession and sucking majorly.)

That’s all well and good, and we’re in agreement, but it’s pretty far off topic now isn’t it?

We were discussing the acquisition of ascended gear through time-gated laurels. You implied that ascended gear wasn’t the chief cause of complaints against time-gated laurels. I asked you to find me some posts showing this. I’m still waiting on that.

Actually no, I said the acquisition of other items with Laurels was possible, therefore Laurels != Ascended only.

In fact, if your chief complaint is the acquisition of Laurels, there are more methods than just dailies to achieve them.

Galen Grey.4709

Because there are two possibilities here. Ether a single quest chain for the whole set which is unfeasible (it would require 180 days to complete) or a quest chain per single piece that requires 15 days to complete. In either case you might want to respect in which case the quest has to be repeatable so you can get a set for your new spec.

The reason why its bound to time is because thats the real cost of loot. This is not something gw2 does, its in every game MMO or otherwise. Why are raids limited to once a week? why are drops control by RNG? Why is loot distributed between party members?…

Because these aren’t ‘cherished’ features that keep reappearing in MMOs due to their popularity, they’re cheap ways to keep you playing as long as possible, that’s why they’re ‘popular’. They keep you subscribed longer, and in a free-to-play game attempt to ‘encourage’ you to buy something from them. You’d be hard pressed to see these kind of ‘features’ outside of MMOs and games that want your money (only being able to earn five stars a day in Mario 64 is a terrifying concept).

So why are they in GW2, a game without a subscription fee that isn’t entirely ‘free-to-play’? To encourage active gameplay? This can be done by making gameplay and the game world more interesting. To prevent people from ‘burning out’? An odd excuse considering how they implemented Legendaries. “Just something other MMOs” isn’t a good reason.

I have already explained to you directly at least twice now the reason why I believe Gw2 requires to limit the speed of Ascended gear. It has got to do with The issue of People loving / hating Vertical progression. If you ask another 5 times I’ll give you the same answer cause what I believe and this will not change unless presented with a good enough reason to make realize I was wrong. So far that hasnt happened

Posted by: Nahema Ai Tamerlein.5417

Nahema Ai Tamerlein.5417

Regarding the daily we came up with a suggestion please check it out and leave feedback.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/suggestion-for-daily-rewards-reorganization

Thanks.

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

Once a day content is rubbish imo, Anet say they don’t want to tell people how to play then they make dragons and dungeons useless after the first run of the day.If I want to go do another dungeon or path I will but making us do other paths is exactly what Anet say they want to avoid…..I have gone from hard core player to casual if that. I’m waiting for Anet to start doing what the keep preaching. If I want to do dragons a lot I should be rewarded for them. As usual Anet are burning the players to get at the gold sellers and botters.

Anet doesn’t want to tell people how to play… that’s why they made the software tell people when they log in.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Posted by: Fortuna.7259

Fortuna.7259

My point was simply that some defenders of the current system believe both to be true, when that’s not possible.

Yup. The same defense applied to Ascended gear in general.

“Ascended gear will give me no advantage over you but it gives me vertical progression.” Huh?

Mostly people are just looking to rationalize a system that gives them some kind of advantage.

LF2M Max Ascended Only!

Dog.1472

Well let’s just make everything time gated then since it’s so convenient.

You no longer gain experience points for killing mobs/dungeons.
Your character gains exactly one level every day after you kill 10 bunnies. If you would like to level up again, come back tomorrow.

You no longer get gold from anything other than the daily chest.
Complete 5 events and you get 1 gold. No more gold is given out until tomorrow.

You no longer gain karma from anything other than your daily reward.
Talk to a laurel vendor to gain 1,000 karma. Come back tomorrow if you would like more karma.

What a wonderful game that is. Everything is so fair and equal and why is no one playing anymore?

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.

Posted by: Smith.1826

Smith.1826

I have already explained to you directly at least twice now the reason why I believe Gw2 requires to limit the speed of Ascended gear. It has got to do with The issue of People loving / hating Vertical progression. If you ask another 5 times I’ll give you the same answer cause what I believe and this will not change unless presented with a good enough reason to make realize I was wrong. So far that hasnt happened

From what I gather (sometimes it gets difficult reading your posts), you seem to think these timegates are important because the sooner a ‘statgrinder’ gets the best gear, the sooner he’ll start asking for more. This is true.

What I question is how this is good for everyone, since not everyone likes to grind and not everyone can keep a sturdy game schedule. Not everyone likes free rewards, either (“time spent” isn’t really indicative of much effort or skill).

If we really want to expand on options – that’s what dailies attempt to promote – what if in addition to the timegated rewards we have now, we had challenging content with those same rewards? This way, inexperienced players and casual lootgrinders can still wait a month or two to get what they want, while skilled players get their knowledge of the game tested and rewarded.

In this instance, good players wanting vertical progression may get their gear ‘quickly’, true. But provided that the “challenging content” isn’t a casual flop-fest, it’ll require that they’ve put a lot of time into learning and playing the game. This would definitely impact WvW, but how ascended gear affects WvW is a thread all on it’s own.

Posted by: Navzar.2938

Navzar.2938

Galen, the lollipop doesn’t cost a days wage because you earn things in addition to the lollipop.
@threadtopic The problem is that the only way to get a lollipop is through the extra that you can only get once a day, rather than being able to continue to work for more lollipops at a lower rate.

You’re right you do earn more stuff but it has no bearing on laurels because they’re different currencies.

Its like saying that if you earn 2g in a day, the value of it isnt really 2g because you also earned 8k karma. Thats incorrect, the karma has no bearing on gold.

You’re right, it has no bearing on laurels, but that doesn’t mean you can say 1 hours of play is equal to 8 hours of play. Even if they’re different currencies, you still earn more with one option than the other.
2g vs 2g + 8k karma, there is indeed a difference because the second one gives you something in addition to the same reward.
Side note: Karma actually does have a bearing on gold though in case you have a mil or two saved up thinking there’s nothing you can use it on

And I’m not arguing with the time gated aspect, I even stated that was the problem.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

To the OP: There are a lot of players that like dailies. The beauty of them is that if you don’t want to do them you dont have to. Removing them wholesale from the game removes them from those of us that like them. Options are a good thing. Don’t remove options.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Dog.1472

To the OP: There are a lot of players that like dailies. The beauty of them is that if you don’t want to do them you dont have to. Removing them wholesale from the game removes them from those of us that like them. Options are a good thing. Don’t remove options.

Which is funny because what dailies do is remove options.

Players no longer have an option of working towards a goal.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Strange that I work towards many goals and Dailies don’t stop me from doing that . . .

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Only 15 days for 20 laurels isnt an analogy. Its a fact. Its a perfect amount in that no matter what any other variable is, how much you play, how much you farm, how lucky you are… it will always take 15 days of playing the game to earn 20 laurels.

Ive completed my Monthly in three days on one occasion. This gave ten Laurels for the monthly plus three for the dailies completed on those three days.

Seven more days of play allowed me to complete seven more dailies for a total of ten Laurels (including the three mentioned above). This means that I earned twenty Laurels in ten days, not fifteen.

Behellagh.1468

They just don’t have the goal of getting ascended gear as fast as possible with play time. The only option it removed is not doing the the daily and monthly if you want ascended gear as fast as possible.

If neither of those things are important to you, you lost nothing.

RIP City of Heroes

Galen Grey.4709

Well let’s just make everything time gated then since it’s so convenient.

You no longer gain experience points for killing mobs/dungeons.
Your character gains exactly one level every day after you kill 10 bunnies. If you would like to level up again, come back tomorrow.

You no longer get gold from anything other than the daily chest.
Complete 5 events and you get 1 gold. No more gold is given out until tomorrow.

You no longer gain karma from anything other than your daily reward.
Talk to a laurel vendor to gain 1,000 karma. Come back tomorrow if you would like more karma.

What a wonderful game that is. Everything is so fair and equal and why is no one playing anymore?

And why should they do that? every design decision is meant to address a certain issue. Time gating on Laurels acquisition is meant to make ascended gear take a “long time” to acquire (15 days) without making the whole thing extremely grindy. To me that makes perfect sense.
Its a balance between game requirements
- ascended gear has to exist because some people dont care about cosmetics and only consider a reward something that makes their char more powerful
- ascended gear has to last so they dont have to introduce a new tier and alienate a big part of their fan base
- grind… without time gating to make it so it takes 15 to get a single piece acquiring that piece would have to be extremely grindy
- ascended gear should be acquirable by everyone not just the players who have all the time in the world.

They didnt do it to be mean to their players, they’re doing it to implement something thats fair on everyone.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Okay, I’m not getting this it takes longer for casual players to get this stuff argument.

Let’s say it takes me 30 days to get something. It takes a casual player the same 30 days to get it. That is to say, the days that player is not playing don’t count, because they’re not playing.

So it takes me 30 days of game time to get the stuff, same as them.

The days they’re not playing, they’re not playing. It’s the same with how much money I earn.

If I get X money per day then I"ll have more money then them after 30 days. But not necessarily more money after they’ve played for 30 days.

Galen Grey.4709

From what I gather (sometimes it gets difficult reading your posts), you seem to think these timegates are important because the sooner a ‘statgrinder’ gets the best gear, the sooner he’ll start asking for more. This is true.

Exactly, that’s precisely what I am trying to say.

What I question is how this is good for everyone, since not everyone likes to grind and not everyone can keep a sturdy game schedule. Not everyone likes free rewards, either (“time spent” isn’t really indicative of much effort or skill).

The daily system is a balance of all you mention here. Because its time gated they dont have to make it grindy. You can get ~1.3 laurel per day so it will take you at least 15 days to get a single piece and thats not dependant on any effort put in because of this there is no reason for Arenanet to put in some crazy requirements like 250 ecto and stuff just so it will take you a long time to earn it. In my opinion daily makes it easier on those who do not have a sturdy game schedule. Whether its grinding materials or earning laurels you still need to play X amount of days to get to your goal. The less you play the longer it will take you… both in terms of game time and realtime. Daily makes it so game time its identical. Some one who plays every day will take the same number of days (playing the game) as someone who plays just once a week. realtime is likely to be less with dailies as opposed to grind simply because 15 days worth of grind for a hardcore player who can play everyday is much larger then 15 days worth of grind for a casual player who doesnt have a sturdy game schedule.

If we really want to expand on options – that’s what dailies attempt to promote – what if in addition to the timegated rewards we have now, we had challenging content with those same rewards? This way, inexperienced players and casual lootgrinders can still wait a month or two to get what they want, while skilled players get their knowledge of the game tested and rewarded.

In this instance, good players wanting vertical progression may get their gear ‘quickly’, true. But provided that the “challenging content” isn’t a casual flop-fest, it’ll require that they’ve put a lot of time into learning and playing the game. This would definitely impact WvW, but how ascended gear affects WvW is a thread all on it’s own.

I believe that 15 day “wait” is crucial for the health of the game. I love challenging content and hope to see more (am having a blast in the queen’s gauntlet) but it shouldnt be a shortcut to cut the time it takes ascended armor. It would be a bad idea because hardcore players are very likely to be the type of players to best challenges quickly while the casual player with limited time would likely have worst equipment and less experience. You’d be making it so the players you most want to take a long time to acquire ascended gear would be the once to get it quickly and then we come to the new gear tier problem.

Dog.1472

Exactly right Vayne. Without time gated content it takes the same amount of time for everyone.

With it, people that spend more time playing across fewer days are put at a severe disadvantage.

Galen Grey.4709

Galen, the lollipop doesn’t cost a days wage because you earn things in addition to the lollipop.
@threadtopic The problem is that the only way to get a lollipop is through the extra that you can only get once a day, rather than being able to continue to work for more lollipops at a lower rate.

You’re right you do earn more stuff but it has no bearing on laurels because they’re different currencies.

Its like saying that if you earn 2g in a day, the value of it isnt really 2g because you also earned 8k karma. Thats incorrect, the karma has no bearing on gold.

You’re right, it has no bearing on laurels, but that doesn’t mean you can say 1 hours of play is equal to 8 hours of play. Even if they’re different currencies, you still earn more with one option than the other.
2g vs 2g + 8k karma, there is indeed a difference because the second one gives you something in addition to the same reward.
Side note: Karma actually does have a bearing on gold though in case you have a mil or two saved up thinking there’s nothing you can use it on

And I’m not arguing with the time gated aspect, I even stated that was the problem.

Okey lets take a different angle… how do you decide the value of something thats virtual? why does a corrupt lodestone sell for 1.4g ? why does a charged lodestone sell for 2.3g? why do these items sell for gold rather then copper?

It all has got to do with 2 side. One side is how long it takes to acquire one. If it takes me an hour to get a corrupted lodestone drop I am not going to sell that corrupt lodestone for any less then I would make in that hour playing other content. Farming them would be a waste of time. On the other side It has got to do with the buyer. How much am I willing to pay ? Of course if it takes an hour to get one of these and even then there is no guarantee its fine for me to play the amount I earn in doing 1 hour of my favorite content perhaps even a bit more. But all in all these two factors push the price towards the monatory value of the time it takes to get one of these object. The seller wants to maximize their income, if it were for them they’d sell a corrupt lodestone for 100g but of course the buyer will never be willing to pay that.

Now back on subject, imagine if ascended gear bought with laurels were suddenly made tradeable. Do you think they would be priced based on the time it takes to get 20 laurels? IE about 15hrs? which would be around 15g (going with generous 1g per hour) or do you think it would be closer to the gold one makes in 15 days ? 60g (going with 4g per day) Lets think from the point of view of the seller. It will take me 15 days as a seller to get one of these. Sure it takes me just 15hrs of my real time but it will still take me another 15 days to get one more. Am I willing to just get 1g for every day I have to log on and play? How about as a buyer, do you think people who want this so badly and are having an issue with the current 15 day wait will never be willing to pay 15g? or do you think they’ll go as far as 60g per piece?

There is plenty of exotic gear that sells already more then 15g… Cultural armor, Named exotics, Some skins etc… In my mind I have no doubt they would sell for far more then just 15g. So for sure that makes a laurel worth much more then physical amount of time it takes to earn it.Will it sell for 60g? yep I have no doubt plenty of people will buy them at 60g a pop. That would make laurels worth a whole day of gameplay. But lets not stop there, do you think they’ll sell for 100g? or 120g? a piece? probably not everyone will afford that but yes I do believe some would pay as much too. So potentially a single laurel could even be worth more then your typical day worth of game.

But I think its quite likely the worth of a laurel is closer to the day then the 30 mins it takes to earn it.

Galen Grey.4709

Ive completed my Monthly in three days on one occasion. This gave ten Laurels for the monthly plus three for the dailies completed on those three days.

Seven more days of play allowed me to complete seven more dailies for a total of ten Laurels (including the three mentioned above). This means that I earned twenty Laurels in ten days, not fifteen.

Yes the theoretical minimum for 20 laurels is 10 days. But then it will take you a minimum of 20 days to get the next 20 laurels. This cycle will keep on repeating month after month. That means the average is 20 laurels per 15 days. But yes you’re right its totally possible to get 20 laurels in 10 days but then you’ll have to “pay” 5 extra days for the next set

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

+1 to less gated content. asuming that is correct that hardcore ppl shouldnt get what they want when they want, which is not, this need to be at least weekly wtf why not monthly.
Many ppl can play in weekends, or on certain days only.
i can play only some days during the week and weekend.
As it is now if i want something time gate, laurels ie, i just connect rush the daily asap and log off.
while i could dedicate a full day doing the weekly tasks and dedicate the rest o my playtime to actually play the game instead of working on it.
or heck i could also play 48 h straigt and then stop for two weeks why not?
or is this just to say that they have x login a week, never mind if u keep logged in for 20 mins.
and this story of hardcore players and casuals that needs to be on the same level is bullkitten, i’m a casual omehow and i don’t need anet mommy to keep my hand and say thos bad pro guys are no better than me and not gona hurt me anymore after they’ll time gate the hell out of them!
your ego should always match your efforts and faking all players are the same is like trying to hide behind a finger.
i have the feeling that also the so long waited scavenger hunt will be the same stuff, we said we don’t want a endless grind for that, well they time gate it so it won’t be endless, indeed you have to stop for the day at least!!
this is like the story of the Evil Djin, you ask for peace in the world and end up whith no ppl at all around lol!

Galen Grey.4709

@oloap

Its not that simple. I think you’re making a small mistake in assuming that without the time gate the time required to earn a reward wouldnt change. It would and drastically.

They clearly want ascended gear to take 15 days at least to earn. They currently require 30 minutes of you time per day simply because you can only earn 1 laurel per day. So if you play 30 minutes, 2hrs, 4hrs or 24hrs doesnt matter to arenanet it will still take you 15 days if you play 24hrs a day.

Use a non time gated currency and that changes. Now to keep to that 15 day schedule the requirements arenanet ask for has to match as closely as possible to 15 days worth of game time. So if enough people play say 8hrs a day they have to charge what those people earn in those 8hrs multiplied by 15 else if they dont those people will earn the reward in less then those 15 days.

So when you say “while i could dedicate a full day doing the weekly tasks and dedicate the rest o my playtime to actually play the game instead of working on it.”wouldnt work with a none time gated currency because what you’ll end up with is 15 days working for that 1 reward.

Simply speaking playing heavily for 2 days straight and stop for a couple of weeks isnt really any different to completing 2 dailies and stopping for a couple of weeks.

Posted by: lilstev.3498

lilstev.3498

Should be weeklies, not dailies….I got a life, can’t log everyday, but when I can I have quite a bit of time.