Please stop the new race threads!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

There is an almost 0% chance of a new playable race coming to GW2 in the forseeable future. This is not negativity, but is almost certainly the truth.

A new race would require a completely new personal story, from start to finish. If a new race were to be introduced, it isn’t just a matter of making a new version of the Race Arc.

With references to the defeat of Zhaitan as far back as Dragon Bash, any new race would have to have a story that did not include any Zhaitan references at all. Why would the story developers create a retrograde story arc?

If a new playable race is introduced, it will not be until there is a completely new personal story in place. Sorry, but there it is.

Posted by: Tribio.8531

Tribio.8531

Tamini confirmed!!! :p

The Hatreidis family: Freya / Nina / Demonica / Athena / Faith / Arya / Angie / Sansa
Commander – Jam Death [Jd]
Fissure of Woe

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Tamini confirmed!!! :p

Thought it was Quaggans.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

A new race would require a completely new personal story, from start to finish. If a new race were to be introduced, it isn’t just a matter of making a new version of the Race Arc.

Why would it require completely new personal story? Level 1-20 section, sure…but other than minor tweaks to the dialogue where it refers to the players race, I don’t see why the PS needs to be “completely new”.

I’m not particularly pro or against new races, but I’m not sure it’s your place to say that there’s 0% chance.

….unless you work for ArenaNet. o.O

…do you?

If you do, then come stand in front of me and watch me throw a tantrum because there’s no Cantha yet!

GuzziHero.2467

Why would it require completely new personal story? Level 1-20 section, sure…but other than minor tweaks to the dialogue where it refers to the players race, I don’t see why the PS needs to be “completely new”.

I’m not particularly pro or against new races, but I’m not sure it’s your place to say that there’s 0% chance.

….unless you work for ArenaNet. o.O

…do you?

If you do, then come stand in front of me and watch me throw a tantrum because there’s no Cantha yet!

Im guessing you didn’t read my post fully or properly. Try again.

Posted by: Liege Tai.8249

Liege Tai.8249

Its a living world, the world has changed, any new race wouldn’t need a backtrack story as that is history in the GW universe. If there is to be a “new race” I would imagine it will come with a bolt on expansion story.

Anyways, Margonites FTW!

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

How do we know the game wasn’t developed with additional races already? Maybe they are just sitting and waiting to release the content? I’m assuming they had long term 5-6 year road map to build around since the early development phase.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

stop talking about things you’d like to see because I say they won’t happen!!!11111oneone

You could just ignore threads about features you think won’t happen, you know.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

People come up with the most stupid race suggestions as well, like quaggan, hylek, kodan and skritt.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Maybe the new race wouldn’t have the personal story in the same way. It could have something completely different.

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Im guessing you didn’t read my post fully or properly. Try again.

Your argument is “but..but..dragon bash”?

That’s not part of the personal story and festivals are always being re-written, re-scripted and re-designed. I’m sorry, but I find post-story Zhaitan references to be such a poor argument I disregarded it before.

GuzziHero.2467

Maybe the new race wouldn’t have the personal story in the same way. It could have something completely different.

Which is why I am saying a new race won’t come before a rehash of the entire story

Posted by: naiasonod.9265

naiasonod.9265

This thread is racist! :0

One is only the smartest person in the room if they are alone.

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

No thank you it is a general Guild Wars 2 speculative topic and we will not be deterred by these forms of harassment.

Posted by: L Step.8659

L Step.8659

I mean they already have character models and a home city for Tengu, they were planned to be a race but scrapped near the end. Atleast that speculation is practical. The rest are a little more far-fetched but let people dream yo.

ReRolled [Re] GvG Hero/Wannabe

Best NA rallybot on EU

Posted by: Greyrebel.7492

Greyrebel.7492

" we’re setting up a new framework for how an MMO can grow its universe. The Living World was just the beginning "
i dont realy think making a new race is a trouble for them …

We are one , and one is all

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

If it’s added on to the game, it might not have the conventional personal story.
The one we have is defeating Zhaitan. If they are coming into the story now, it could be argued they are coming on after he was defeated and therefore having that story makes no sense.

They might put in new races, but not new personal stories. They will likely do it through Living Story.

In fact I would think no new kill Zhaitan storyline is a surety as it would be impossible to fit in with the old story that has the other races and them only.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Greyrebel.7492

also if they dont have time to add new storyline and new low lvl zones and … they allways can add another race to currect races wich sahres the same homeland and starting area ( add new things to lore aswell) like they can add Kodan to norn starting area or skritts to asura , Quaggan to sylvari , ogres to chars and something , also some lesser races can unite together and build a base and a homeland like hylak,quagon tengu , skrits and …. so 1 new story for all of them together

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

Also, if they add a new region (coughcanthacough) their personal story may be entirely different even if it’s based on the same time line.

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

GuzziHero.2467

Well, in hindsight, I guess it would explain why they are giving out tomes of knowledge like candy. But what depth does that bring to any new race if there is no story? Living story is.. feasible I guess.

Ah well, I fold.

8 NEW RACES COMING BY EASTER!

sigh

Greyrebel.7492

making a new race isnt realy a thing that would cheer people up compared to adding new content and new classes or remake current classes and … they also can make a natural race who can join other races as theyw ant to so no need to have new storyline just some new dialogs

Astral Projections.7320

About Tengu, I suspect the area above Brisbane (where there are bandits working on a bridge and there is a visible portal to the north) was their original starter zone. Brisbane already connects directly to the Asuran and Sylvari starter maps and to humans with a jog through Kessex. If the wall gates were ever opened, the portals could send you to their city out there and the Brisbane portal to the starter zone.

GuzziHero.2467

About Tengu, I suspect the area above Brisbane (where there are bandits working on a bridge and there is a visible portal to the north) was their original starter zone. Brisbane already connects directly to the Asuran and Sylvari starter maps and to humans with a jog through Kessex. If the wall gates were ever opened, the portals could send you to their city out there and the Brisbane portal to the starter zone.

Well, they guard gates in the south-west of Lions Arch and east of Caledon Forest, making the Dominion of Winds somewhere in the Sea of Sorrows, so that is unlikely.

But still, I maintain that Tengu are not coming for a very long time, if ever.

Astral Projections.7320

Well, they guard gates in the south-west of Lions Arch and east of Caledon Forest, making the Dominion of Winds somewhere in the Sea of Sorrows, so that is unlikely.

But still, I maintain that Tengu are not coming for a very long time, if ever.

Too much water in that area, so yah unlikely. But that doesn’t mean the gate portals can’t take you elsewhere. I read a quote sometime back suggesting that the city was not where it appeared to be which made me think of this, but finding things on this forum is difficult. >.>

Edit: or maybe not so hard. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dominion_of_Winds
The Shuttered Gate in Lion’s Arch is said by its tengu guards to lead to the Dominion of Winds, but isn’t likely to lead directly there as Lion’s Arch is not directly next to the Dominion of Winds, …..

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Gargoyles! They’ve spent the last 250 years in seclusion, in Hidden Gargoyle Origin Land, arguing amongst themselves to determine whether they should share their awesome Anti-Dragon Tactical Magicks (with a k!) with the less civilized races of Tyria, and now the decision has been made: yes!

So it won’t be just the Drone Clones (which had a nasty habit of going ‘going native’ due to bio-hacking from the Illuminarchy Sect) interacting with the other races, it will be the full spectrum of…

Gargoylea Unbound!

And bats.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Azhure.1857

Azhure.1857

If you don’t like a particular thread topic — DO NOT READ THEM. Ignore them.
Telling the moderators and/or the community to stop them is just silly.

Isle of Janthir Megaserver

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Like the idea of Gargoyles. I’d call ’em Downspout or Pediment.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

There is an almost 0% chance of a new playable race coming to GW2 in the forseeable future. This is not negativity, but is almost certainly the truth.

lol……….. this screams ingorance.

Have you ever had the idea that people ask for new races because they want a new story ???

No new race because a new story is required…… this is hilarious.

The best thing is to stop to ask for new weapons as well because new animations would be required…. not to mention skills…. this would require a new traid tree…. horrible

Posted by: Mara.6782

Mara.6782

They can always change personal story for new races.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

There is an almost 0% chance of a new playable race coming to GW2 in the forseeable future.

And yet the chance of a new race is still higher than the chance of you providing any real evidence to back up your fabricated statistics.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/lore/Possibilities-for-a-new-playable-race/first#post4680678

Yes please stop with the new race threads….

There already is a new race thread, and how a new race would be able to be introduced through the LS. Can we please merge these, so as to keep the topic together? Thanks!

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Forget the story, drop new race in the gem shop + race change feature, problem solved.

JQ Druid

pdavis.8031

Forget the story, drop new race in the gem shop + race change feature, problem solved.

I know it’s been discussed at length before as to why a race change option cannot work. IIRC the devs even were saying that because of the PS, it makes changing races impossible. For example, say you are at PS level 30 for a Sylvari, and wanted to make that character a Charr instead. Would you just start the Charr story at level 30? But which story arc? The different story arcs are very different based on the choices one makes in the PS, and cannot be simply transfered over. What about the Order specific missions? In you can choose to help The Vigil, or the Priory. If you choose the Priory, it’s a very different mission then The Vigil one. Also, the character development options are very different per race. For Sylvari, you choose which time of the day you are born, your great hunt, etc. For human you choose which god you serve, what economic class, and your motivation. Again these things cannot be transfered over to a different race.

Unlocked through the gem store MIGHT work, however what about how the new race fits into the lore? The new races PS, and how they fit into the Orders. Kodan for example. While there are a few Kodan in the Pact, or at least considering joining the Pact, would they be able to become The Commander of the Pact as there are so few of them even involved? And so on and so forth. So any new race would HAVE to have those things taken into consideration and be able to fit into the current story before it can ever happen.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Gargoyles! They’ve spent the last 250 years in seclusion, in Hidden Gargoyle Origin Land, arguing amongst themselves to determine whether they should share their awesome Anti-Dragon Tactical Magicks (with a k!) with the less civilized races of Tyria, and now the decision has been made: yes!

So it won’t be just the Drone Clones (which had a nasty habit of going ‘going native’ due to bio-hacking from the Illuminarchy Sect) interacting with the other races, it will be the full spectrum of…

Gargoylea Unbound!

And bats.

How will back armor work for races with wings?
That’s the question

Posted by: DarkWasp.7291

DarkWasp.7291

Quaggans with swiftness:

Ooo! OooOoooooh! Woooo!

Quaggans with cripple:

Orrg! Urrmph.. Ooooo…

Quaggans when interupted:

Foo!

Quaggans with fear:

OoOoOoOooooOooOOOOOooo!

^ We don’t need personal story, we just need this ^

^ Uses Guild Wars 2 character screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

And yet the chance of a new race is still higher than the chance of you providing any real evidence to back up your fabricated statistics.

Lol.. reason much? Guess not. Not everything needs hard facts to back it up.

Anet has stated they will not be going back and working on Personal Story. Creating a new race would require new Personal Story, and that means they either go back and work on it, which they said they wouldn’t do, or they create an entirely new Personal Story exclusively for this one race, which doesn’t sound like anything Anet has ever done with GW2. To claim 0% chance might be extreme, but anything more than 2% is unrealistic.

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

Astral Projections.7320

Anet has stated they will not be going back and working on Personal Story. Creating a new race would require new Personal Story, and that means they either go back and work on it, which they said they wouldn’t do, or they create an entirely new Personal Story exclusively for this one race, which doesn’t sound like anything Anet has ever done with GW2. To claim 0% chance might be extreme, but anything more than 2% is unrealistic.

The old personal story was, defeat Zhaitan. If the new race’s personal story isn’t about that then they don’t need to rework the old one. The new races’s story could be tied into a new personal story arc if they release a new continent or possibly told though the Living Story.

Guild Wars 1. Every time they brought in new professions they brought in a new set of story lines. Could be the same here.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

Making up numbers because you believe them isn’t facts to back it up either.

Anet has said a lot of things they later changed their mind on. That’s because they iterate.

But they could easily create a new race and create to something to replace the personal story for that race.

I’d actually be surprised if we didn’t get a new race at some point. On the outside one might think races take more work than a new profession. But new professions need far more new skills, and then have to be balanced with everything else. New races don’t have that problem.

Yes, I think Anet would work on bringing a new race into the mix, particularly if they’re not planning on bringing a new profession into the mix.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Gargoylea Unbound!

And bats.

How will back armor work for races with wings?
That’s the question

No worries. Their wings aren’t on their backs.

The table is a fable.

Wetpaw.3487

I know it’s been discussed at length before as to why a race change option cannot work. IIRC the devs even were saying that because of the PS, it makes changing races impossible. For example, say you are at PS level 30 for a Sylvari, and wanted to make that character a Charr instead. Would you just start the Charr story at level 30? But which story arc? The different story arcs are very different based on the choices one makes in the PS, and cannot be simply transfered over. What about the Order specific missions? In you can choose to help The Vigil, or the Priory. If you choose the Priory, it’s a very different mission then The Vigil one. Also, the character development options are very different per race. For Sylvari, you choose which time of the day you are born, your great hunt, etc. For human you choose which god you serve, what economic class, and your motivation. Again these things cannot be transfered over to a different race.

Treat race as nothing more than a skin being applied, continue the story as is.

Many players don’t care at all about story, and find fun through features like race change more appealing, or enjoy both like me. Two of my characters made it to lvl 80 and never even left LA between level 10-80, and another two characters leveled through WvW/scrolls. Im sure plenty of PvP players don’t even touch storymode.

Unlocked through the gem store MIGHT work, however what about how the new race fits into the lore? The new races PS, and how they fit into the Orders. Kodan for example. While there are a few Kodan in the Pact, or at least considering joining the Pact, would they be able to become The Commander of the Pact as there are so few of them even involved? And so on and so forth. So any new race would HAVE to have those things taken into consideration and be able to fit into the current story before it can ever happen.

Same as I mentioned above, it doesn’t have to fit lore, treat it as a skin…a malfunction due to fotm travel, Asura engineering malfunction gone good, whatever. We already have many things in game that have an odd place in lore and immersion, take for instance minis, tonics, sab, and half the items in the gem store.

I can see implementation in character creation causing a bunch of work, problems, and possibly far more work than it’s worth for Anet, especially when it’s not monetized like it would be through the gem store.

An item in the gem shop like the Total Makeover Kit, but instead would be something like Tengu Race Change Kit, Kodan Race Change Kit, etc..and I would be all over it.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

pdavis.8031

Many players don’t care at all about story, and find fun through features like race change more appealing, or enjoy both like me. Two of my characters made it to lvl 80 and never even left LA between level 10-80, and another two characters leveled through WvW/scrolls. Some parts of the personal story jump around now skipping veteran portions (I have read about, have not leveled another character through the story since year one, RIP Tonn).

Same as I mentioned above, it doesn’t have to fit lore, treat it as a skin…a malfunction due to fotm travel, Asura engineering malfunction gone good, whatever. We already have many things in game that have an odd place in lore and immersion, take for instance minis, tonics, sab, and half the items in the gem store.

I can see implementation in character creation causing a bunch of work, problems, and possibly far more work than it’s worth for Anet, especially when it’s not monetized like it would be through the gem store.

I can see an item in the gem shop like the Total Makeover Kit, but instead would be something like Tengu Race Change Kit, Kodan Race Change Kit, etc..

While many don’t care about the story, There are many more who do. Some of the main reasons many people want new races is to have a new story line, new racial skills, a chance to experience that paticular races culture, etc. If it was just a cosmetic change, then it’s not really adding a new playable race. If such a thing were implemented can you imagine the backlash? “They said they were bringing a new race!! Where is the new starter zone, home instance, racial skills!? Why can’t I create from the start!? It’s false advertising!!! And I have to buy it though the gem store!? What kind of Dolyak excrement is that all about!? This isn’t a new race, it’s a frakking skin!!! Death to Anet and their lies!!!11”

Yeah, just a cosmetic change like that for a race would be a terrible idea.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Vlad Morbius.1759

Vlad Morbius.1759

The old personal story was, defeat Zhaitan. If the new race’s personal story isn’t about that then they don’t need to rework the old one. The new races’s story could be tied into a new personal story arc if they release a new continent or possibly told though the Living Story.

Guild Wars 1. Every time they brought in new professions they brought in a new set of story lines. Could be the same here.

This exactly. Of course a new race c/w their own personal story can be brought in, in fact that would be much easier to create from scratch rather than reworking a story that affects all the current races. It likely takes a heck of a lot less effort to do this than anything else to be honest especially a total rework of existing stories and lore. So I do expect a new race along with a new class in a full expansion and in fact if I’m not mistaken a lot of work was already done on Tengu before they scrapped it and went with their current choices so it’s not only possible but likely.

Vini, Vidi, Vici, Viridis…I came, I saw, I conquered…I got a green??

Wetpaw.3487

Many players don’t care at all about story, and find fun through features like race change more appealing, or enjoy both like me. Two of my characters made it to lvl 80 and never even left LA between level 10-80, and another two characters leveled through WvW/scrolls. Some parts of the personal story jump around now skipping veteran portions (I have read about, have not leveled another character through the story since year one, RIP Tonn).

I can see an item in the gem shop like the Total Makeover Kit, but instead would be something like Tengu Race Change Kit, Kodan Race Change Kit, etc..

While many don’t care about the story, There are many more who do. Some of the main reasons many people want new races is to have a new story line, new racial skills, a chance to experience that paticular races culture, etc. If it was just a cosmetic change, then it’s not really adding a new playable race. If such a thing were implemented can you imagine the backlash? “They said they were bringing a new race!! Where is the new starter zone, home instance, racial skills!? Why can’t I create from the start!? It’s false advertising!!! And I have to buy it though the gem store!? What kind of Dolyak excrement is that all about!? This isn’t a new race, it’s a frakking skin!!! Death to Anet and their lies!!!11”

Good thing nobody would force this upon those that care about that stuff. I could care less about any of the stuff you mentioned, and it seems to work very well for SWTOR players, and a source of revenue for EAbio. Selling race skins in a cash shop for a b2p/f2p model is nothing new.

Ya a few may come to the forum and complain, but it will sell.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Astral Projections.7320

Good thing nobody would force this upon those that care about that stuff. I could care less about any of the stuff you mentioned, and it seems to work very well for SWTOR players, and a source of revenue for EAbio. Selling race skins in a cash shop for a b2p/f2p model is nothing new.

Ya a few may come to the forum and complain, but it will sell.

I was thinking that the reason why they can’t sell race changes is because in other games if there is more than one storyline, the storyline is added on after character creation. After creation you go to an NPC and speak to them to start the story line. With Guild Wars 2, it’s part of character creation and maybe not removable as it’s not modular. Changing race where you have one race with a different race’s story line might cause major bugs.

Posted by: Mireles Lore.5942

Mireles Lore.5942

I think a new race and class would be totally plausible.

They could totally add a 2nd chapter in the personal story with their own mentor and have that be their arc that can be experienced after a personal intro portion with other races as well. Then have an option to go play the 1st story arc. It would have to pick up somewhere after the personal intro with the disclaimer of “You are experiencing events prior to your arrival in Tyria”. Not to much different than exclusive classes of chapters in Guild Wars 1.

I still think one day Tengu will come out of isolation and we may get a new class and race.

Director – Xunlai Heroic Service Agents [XHSA] | Yak’s Bend
http://xunlaiheroes.wix.com/xhsa

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

The Shuttered Gate in Lion’s Arch is said by its tengu guards to lead to the Dominion of Winds, but isn’t likely to lead directly there as Lion’s Arch is not directly next to the Dominion of Winds, …..

Well, this is moot, as there’s no shuttered gate anymore. The destruction of LA buried it in rubble, and all the guards disappeared.
Which, i guess, is Anet’s way of telling us “No Tengu in foreseeable future”

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Astral Projections.7320

Well, this is moot, as there’s no shuttered gate anymore. The destruction of LA buried it in rubble, and all the guards disappeared.
Which, i guess, is Anet’s way of telling us “No Tengu in foreseeable future”

How about Caledon? That one, it’s guards, and the skill point Tengu are still there aren’t they?

Posted by: Aerinndis.2730

Aerinndis.2730

I think a new race and class would be totally plausible.

They could totally add a 2nd chapter in the personal story with their own mentor and have that be their arc that can be experienced after a personal intro portion with other races as well. Then have an option to go play the 1st story arc. It would have to pick up somewhere after the personal intro with the disclaimer of “You are experiencing events prior to your arrival in Tyria”. Not to much different than exclusive classes of chapters in Guild Wars 1.

I still think one day Tengu will come out of isolation and we may get a new class and race.

Most logical to me would be the Tengu since it would be the easiest to reconcile their story with what we know so far in the world and their story line/lore would be totally new to us. Their isolation back story and coming out could be very, very interesting. I think it would be very neat to introduce them as well as a new profession class along with their culture.

It could also open up new areas that are Tengu with new story lines and issues as they learn to cooperate with new allies.

I definitely have hopes something like this will eventually happen. Hope springs eternal….

Posted by: Shriketalon.1937

Shriketalon.1937

How do you account for the fact that other races are already part of the force that defeated Zhaitan?

We’ve met tengu members of the Pact (Izu Steelshrike) and Largos (Sayeh al’Rajihd) serving in prominent roles, as well as lots of miscellaneous races (quaggan, grawl, etc) chipping in. Therefore, it requires no great suspension of disbelief to assume that a player character of a new race could join the Pact. All it would require is for the personal story to address things differently, sending the PC out individually rather than having the entire race chipping in to the dragonslaying effort.

The only disagreement would be saying that it would retroactively be adding a story component to something that happened several years ago in game. But that already happens every time someone makes a new character. They spring into existence before the proper formation of the Pact, and their story describes the events that lead up to it. Whether an Asuran Savant or Norn Slayer becomes the commander of the Pact is completely open to the individual story, so a Tengu, Largos, or Kodan could fill the exact same role in the exact same way.

Posted by: munkiman.3068

munkiman.3068

I agree, i doubt we will see a new race. While i think the feedback about having a tengu (or whatever) is fine. I would think all the hurdles you mentioned would have to be taken into account. For example, say we get Tengu, their story would be entirely different than any of the others, it would have to be. Including not being a part of fighting against Zhaitan

[TAO] Founder/Owner and Administrator for the NSP Server Website