Possible new class weapons?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Storm of the Ages.9076

Storm of the Ages.9076

After reading the blog post, do you think that they will introduce new weapon options for our classes? Or do you think the new skills will be limited to only utility and elite skills. I know I have been hoping for something with cleave for my necromancer for a while now.

Posted by: Minos.3450

Minos.3450

Colin has been talking about adding existing weapons to class who can’t use them presently so why not ?

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

He said they are going to add new skills going forward, the only way they can do that are utilities and weapons. If they try to do only utilities it will get boring real quick, they almost have to add weapons at some point.

Storm of the Ages.9076

That is exciting to hear. I think a lot of classes have gaps in their abilities that different weapons could easily fill

Posted by: Aradon.5936

Aradon.5936

I don’t think it’s so far fetched that new weapon skills could be added to existing weapon sets. For example, instead of mesmer greatsword giving exactly 5 skills, let the player choose from a selection of 7 or 8 greatsword skills. If this is too troublesome potentially, you could limit them to a choice of one or two skills per skill slot and work from there.

That isn’t to say new weapon proficiencies won’t be added, just that there’s more than one way to add more weapon skills to a class. I’d like to see more weapon skills either way, as utilities are so narrow that gameplay gets pretty repetitive for me.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

As mentioned above, they’re going to allow each class a new set of weapons to choose from the current ones we have in game.

I.e. guardian can use dagger, Ele can use greatsword, warrior can use staff

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Gery.2718

Gery.2718

MH pistol for mesmers and I’ll never complain!

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

Ive been thinking about this for a while. Had some ideas on what would be most appropriate to give to each class.

Necro – sword
Warrior – torch
Guard – warhorn
Eng – mace/hammer
Thief – rifle
Ranger – hammer
Unsure about mes and ele. Maybe offhand dagger for mes and torch for ele?

Posted by: Curae.1837

Curae.1837

One of the Mesmer illusions uses hatchets, I think it can very well be a possibility we’re going to see that weapon.

And please… Rifles for rangers pretty please

“When we remember that we are all mad.
The mysteries dissapear and life stands explained.”

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Ele will possibly have a rifle or pistols.
Conjured waepons already suggest what you won t have.

rifle would be awesome

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

The post mentioned new utilities and traits – that doesn’t scream “new weapons” to me.

I hope that I’m wrong though, because, you know, Whips!

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

We all know Mesmers want mainhand pistol, so please ANet, give it to us! Illusionary Gunslinger, here we go!

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Main hand sword, to go with the off hand dagger. As for mesmer, definitely main hand pistol.

Posted by: Apotheosis.3786

Apotheosis.3786

I want this to, but its leaning in a very scary direction. These “gaps” believe it or not are a good thing. They make professions unique. One of the biggest problems WoW made for themselves was releasing too many new abilities. Now every class has everything and most of them are more or less the same thing. No real uniqueness aside from the way the abilities look. Everyone has their interupts, and silences, and escapes, and gap closers, and stuns, and cc …. this list goes on. I’m happy as long as they are not asinine enough to add a number 6 ability to all the weapons. That would be really bad. This game would turn into WoW in a few short years if they started that kitten.

Posted by: jweez.7214

jweez.7214

This is going to get out of hand. Anet needs to step in and let everyone know they only mean utility skills.

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

Ive been thinking about this for a while. Had some ideas on what would be most appropriate to give to each class.

Necro – sword
Warrior – torch
Guard – warhorn
Eng – mace/hammer
Thief – rifle
Ranger – hammer

Mesmer are asking another MH ranged option (read: Pistol) since betas, so we can split up power and condition dmg from scepter and give it a proper identity.

As far as ele goes, another weapon could be useful, sure, but i’d like to see focus improved and conjured weapons act more like engi kits or so, that would be already a massive improvement.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: KeyLimPi.9031

KeyLimPi.9031

I would adore seeing elementalist with a slow, heavy hitting beast hammer. The “nuke” weapon for the class.

Posted by: TurtleofPower.5641

TurtleofPower.5641

Personally I wish all the focus would be on a pool of weapon skill choices or new weapon options.

I don’t want more utility skills or even traits really. Those things aren’t particularly fun or hands-on.

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

Off-hand sword for guardians, Main-hand pistol for mesmers, and rifle for thieves. My life will be complete if these three were to be made a reality!

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

I want hammer for engineer. Simple as that. Hammer for engineer.

Also I have to cast a vote for main-hand pistol for mesmers for my fiancée. She’s been begging for that one.

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

Based on the thought of giving classes access to weapons they can’t use that are currently in game I’d give..

Warrior: Off-hand Pistol and Torch

Guardian: Off-hand Warhorn and Mace

Thief: Main-hand Axe and Off-hand Sword

Ranger: Hammer possibly and maybe Staff going on the fact that they have some magic due to their ability to summon Spirits and being in tune with Nature (and the trait tree Nature Magic)

Engineer: Mace and Hammer

Elementalist: Not sure here, they pretty much use “mage” weapons. I would like to see them dual-wield Scepters and maybe have a Main-hand sword

Necromancer: It’s not in game but I can’t think of anything but Scythe, to give them the ability to have cleave in melee. I could see the Axe auto-attack cleaving foes instead since Scythe probably won’t be added for a while

Mesmer: Main-hand Pistol

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

We’ve been seeying Anet “testing” new weapons for the mobs in the latest patches, like the whip and the rapier. Interestingly enough, both fit a Mesmer perfectly. The rapier for their swordsman flavor, the whip for their (sexy) domination tricks.

Other professions where a whip would definitely fit, would be a Necromancer (sadistic torture), maybe a warrior/ guardian (torture in general, as a punishment or for justice in the case of a guardian), and it wouldn’t be a bad fit for Thief or for Elementalist, if with the right flavor. In theory, whip would also work really well for rangers (as beastmasters), but I’m not sure anet would go into that direction.

Rapiers are probably too elegant for a warrior, honestly. :P Even though they’re the master of weapons. But would work perfectly in an elementalist. Think of an elemental swordsman dancing between attunements.

I would personally love a mh sword or a rapier for an elementalist. My elementalist would love to leap, riposte and make a flurry of attacks while using elemental magic. A torch would make perfect sense for them too, but it doesn’t excites me. The torch could be a condition-damage off-hand, or something.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

From a post on mmorpg.com based on a conversation with Colin:

“the team is also working very kitten finding a way to make it so that every profession has access to every weapon and their own weapon skills for those previously locked weapons. Engineer plus Hammer? Check. Again, there’s no specific timeline for this, but a new progression system is coming.”

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/7597/Guild-Wars-2-ArenaNets-Master-Plan-for-2013.html

Edit: LOL at the kitten…

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: inazuma.7021

inazuma.7021

The idea of my asura engie running around with a warhammer makes me want to giggle.

Vhaewyn – Level 80 Sylvari Ranger
Dakka Warforge- Level 80 Charr Engineer
Xairro – Level 80 Asura Revenant

Storm of the Ages.9076

“the team is also working very kitten finding a way to make it so that every profession has access to every weapon and their own weapon skills for those previously locked weapons. Engineer plus Hammer? Check. Again, there’s no specific timeline for this, but a new progression system is coming.”

Source: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/473/feature/7597/Guild-Wars-2-ArenaNets-Master-Plan-for-2013.html

I can’t thank you enough for linking this =o I can’t believe they said EVERY weapon! That seems like a bold process. It could be more manageable if it’s done one weapon at a time >.>

Posted by: TehPwnerer.7215

TehPwnerer.7215

I bet at first we’ll see new elite and utility skills before anything but in the livestream he did say they’re adding new weapons down the road.

Posted by: Dingle.2743

Dingle.2743

I want to see mesmer hammer based off the Dimensional Anchor featured in the sylvari story step Shattered Light

That thing was incredibly fun to use if only for a few minutes.

Posted by: Wulf.5431

Wulf.5431

This makes me one happy camper, for sure, even if it’s a ways down the road. A couple weapons a year per class would be great. But it does bring up questions. For instance, ele’s and engi’s have very few weapons, for obvious reasons. If they were to get every weapon, they would straight up have way more skills than any other class. It also means something has to be done with conjures, imo.

Warriors would kind of get the shaft too. They have a huge amount of weapons available, and that’s one of their perks, that’s great. But it won’t be a perk when everyone can use everything. And lets face it, adrenaline, as is, is boring.

Posted by: TriggerSad.2597

TriggerSad.2597

I can’t thank you enough for linking this =o I can’t believe they said EVERY weapon! That seems like a bold process. It could be more manageable if it’s done one weapon at a time >.>

Fun fact: When Guild Wars 2 was still in development, it was said that at some point they had every profession use all available weapon-types in the game. They decided to cut down the number of weapons on each profession for balancing reasons. I guess they’ve changed their mind on this stance! Which makes me happy in a conflicted, “I hope they know what they’re doing,” kind of way!

IGN: Despada
Guild: I Can Outtweet A Centaur [TWIT]
Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriggerSad

Storm of the Ages.9076

I think they have learned enough to make it work. They have watched the game develop and know what it needs. The only crazy thing would be all the new skill people would have to learn but I don’t think that is too when done over time.

Just please not all at once xD

Posted by: EchoingChaos.6731

EchoingChaos.6731

It would be nice if Guardians could have a better option for a ranged weapon, a bow perhaps?

Posted by: berryblanco.1289

berryblanco.1289

Every spell caster need a spell book, grimoire, book of shadows, levitating or skull

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Have I ran my desire list here yet? No? Here we are then:

Necromancer: Dual swords, off hand torch and axe.
Guardian: Dual Daggers, main hand torch, and longbow.
Thief: Off hand sword, rifle, and dual axes.
Elementalist: Off hand scepter, main hand sword, and off hand torch.
Warrior: Dual pistols.
Ranger: Hammer, Dual maces.
Engineer: More kits, longbow, and hammer.
Mesmer: Main hand focus, main hand pistol, hammer and shortbow.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Azunai.5974

Azunai.5974

Have I ran my desire list here yet? No? Here we are then:

Necromancer: Dual swords, off hand torch and axe.
Guardian: Dual Daggers, main hand torch, and longbow.
Thief: Off hand sword, rifle, and dual axes.
Elementalist: Off hand scepter, main hand sword, and off hand torch.
Warrior: Dual pistols.
Ranger: Hammer, Dual maces.
Engineer: More kits, longbow, and hammer.
Mesmer: Main hand focus, main hand pistol, hammer and shortbow.

Ele’s should get rifles too.

Resident deaf elementalist – Tarnished Coast
Everyone needs a little optimism!

Posted by: Askadia.4395

Askadia.4395

Mesmer and Elementalist should have the Fan as main and off hand weapon. I mean the Fan you wave by hand to move air.
It could be a ranged weapon, where as a main-hand could be condition-based and control-based if used as off-hand.
I think it’s a MUST for a Mesmer.

Posted by: Eurhetemec.9052

Eurhetemec.9052

I don’t think it’s so far fetched that new weapon skills could be added to existing weapon sets. For example, instead of mesmer greatsword giving exactly 5 skills, let the player choose from a selection of 7 or 8 greatsword skills. If this is too troublesome potentially, you could limit them to a choice of one or two skills per skill slot and work from there.

That isn’t to say new weapon proficiencies won’t be added, just that there’s more than one way to add more weapon skills to a class. I’d like to see more weapon skills either way, as utilities are so narrow that gameplay gets pretty repetitive for me.

This would certainly be technically possible, but the question would be whether it would be possible to balance, or really desirable, because of the confusion it would engender in less adept players (“No, not THAT Greatsword 2, the third Greatsword 2!”), and because you’d have to be very careful you didn’t simply create “better” setups or completely invalidate existing moves – I mean, if you add a DPS move where there was a buffing or CC one before, you may suddenly make a weapon vastly more effective in most situations, which could be pretty difficult to handle.

So not impossible, but they’d need to be really careful.

Personally I think there are so many new weapons they could introduce that that I hope they go that way rather than just replacement abilities or new weapon combos (though the latter could be fun).

For example:

Greataxe – Even ArenaNet have mentioned this as a possibility.

Scythe – If Dervishes aren’t coming back, and ArenaNet has basically said “Don’t ever expect new classes”, so I think they aren’t, this could be awesome be a lot of classes.

Javelin – Spear is already in as an underwater melee weapon, but the ol’ javelin could be back (as Paragons were made into Warriors and Guardians), and again, could work for a lot of classes, as a one-handed, usually-ranged weapon which interacted with boons/conditions at lot.

Flail – Distinct from Mace, with different animations, but probably on many of the same classes – perhaps a focus on negating defenses?

Crossbow – Suitable for different classes to guns, and perhaps offering a more slow-firing, heavy-damage kind of ranged.

Brass Knuckles/Clawed Gloves etc. – Surprisingly common historically – could also include Punch-Daggers (aka Katars).

You could also get really fancy with double-weapons (silly as they can be), whips/chains (hard to animate, but potentially cool), boomerangs, polearms and the like, all of which might be a little complex.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

This would certainly be technically possible, but the question would be whether it would be possible to balance, or really desirable, because of the confusion it would engender in less adept players (“No, not THAT Greatsword 2, the third Greatsword 2!”), and because you’d have to be very careful you didn’t simply create “better” setups or completely invalidate existing moves – I mean, if you add a DPS move where there was a buffing or CC one before, you may suddenly make a weapon vastly more effective in most situations, which could be pretty difficult to handle.

So not impossible, but they’d need to be really careful.

Personally I think there are so many new weapons they could introduce that that I hope they go that way rather than just replacement abilities or new weapon combos (though the latter could be fun).

For example:

Greataxe – Even ArenaNet have mentioned this as a possibility.

Scythe – If Dervishes aren’t coming back, and ArenaNet has basically said “Don’t ever expect new classes”, so I think they aren’t, this could be awesome be a lot of classes.

Javelin – Spear is already in as an underwater melee weapon, but the ol’ javelin could be back (as Paragons were made into Warriors and Guardians), and again, could work for a lot of classes, as a one-handed, usually-ranged weapon which interacted with boons/conditions at lot.

Flail – Distinct from Mace, with different animations, but probably on many of the same classes – perhaps a focus on negating defenses?

Crossbow – Suitable for different classes to guns, and perhaps offering a more slow-firing, heavy-damage kind of ranged.

Brass Knuckles/Clawed Gloves etc. – Surprisingly common historically – could also include Punch-Daggers (aka Katars).

You could also get really fancy with double-weapons (silly as they can be), whips/chains (hard to animate, but potentially cool), boomerangs, polearms and the like, all of which might be a little complex.

Definitely need to get the spears back into the game for out-of-water use. I always thought the way spears looked on Monks/Warriors running around was pretty cool looking in GW1.

As far as whips go; there’s either a Bandit or a Nightmare Sylvari type of enemy that uses one. Which one, I don’t remember. I’m pretty sure they’re in Caelodon ( spelling on that darn place ). Think it’d work great ( and look! ) with a Mesmer using Profane armor.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: matemaster.2168

matemaster.2168

I want dual swords for my guardian