Possible new race and/or profession coming!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

I don’t really care what new race they add as long as it’s not another human.

We currently have three races. Asura, charr and human. Except some of the humans are tall with big muscles and the others are green with branches coming out of their face.

But to play as a hylek… one can only hope.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

My bets are on Tengu.

Their body isn’t too much different from human one (compared to Asura/Charr) so shouldn’t be too much a nightmare having existing armor fitting them.

Open up Dominion of Winds – bam, capital city done, nice near LA.

They can work as bridge to a future Chanta update.

Decent amount of customization options won’t be a problem.
http://kekai.weebly.com/uploads/5/4/7/6/5476798/4274396_orig.jpg

So, yeah, the birds please.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Posted by: Anthony.7219

Anthony.7219

Kodan wouldn’t really work. Your customization options are white and… uh… white. Tengu were originally slated to be playable, but got cut, which is a shame, as they would have made far more sense than suddenly inventing sylvari, and would have easily filled the same cultural role.

Honestly the sylvari seem to have just been injected in to the lore with very little rhyme or reason as some sort of plot fulcrum for a plot as yet unrevealed to us. Tengu have a vibrant backstory, a global presence, and a diverse and interesting culture. Why Tengu were cut in favor of sylvari I’ll never understand. Maybe to court the elf market?

The Sylvari are a very well designed, innovative race. Thank goodness they didn’t just say… and… um… Elves? Yeah… they came from…. somewhere.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Kodan wouldn’t really work. Your customization options are white and… uh… white. Tengu were originally slated to be playable, but got cut, which is a shame, as they would have made far more sense than suddenly inventing sylvari, and would have easily filled the same cultural role.

Honestly the sylvari seem to have just been injected in to the lore with very little rhyme or reason as some sort of plot fulcrum for a plot as yet unrevealed to us. Tengu have a vibrant backstory, a global presence, and a diverse and interesting culture. Why Tengu were cut in favor of sylvari I’ll never understand. Maybe to court the elf market?

The Sylvari are a very well designed, innovative race. Thank goodness they didn’t just say… and… um… Elves? Yeah… they came from…. somewhere.

Sylvari are semi gender neutral slim forest creatures. Elves. Which LITERALLY sprang from nowhere (alright, from a magic tree planted by two extremely minor NPCs) and weren’t even given a decent retcon to apply them to the existing world (at least the asura and norn were “discovered”)

Coming from literally nowhere, they’ve been given the one special gift that they’re somehow immune to dragon corruption. Something that’s extremely potent as a plot point.

Additionally, the two foremost NPCs in the game thusfar NOT designed just so that your race has a hero too are both sylvari (Scarlet and Traherne)

So, again, I marvel at a brand new race that sprang from nowhere being suddenly added to the lore and made literally the most important one.

The alternative would have been a race that has a richer history than the Charr in the collective lore of Tyria.

The only explanation I can think of is that they knew they needed an elf-like race and Tyria didn’t have any. At which point they had to justify adding them to the world, so they made them super important to gloss over how much of a historical black hole they are.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Anthony.7219

Sylvari are semi gender neutral slim forest creatures. Elves. Which LITERALLY sprang from nowhere (alright, from a magic tree planted by two extremely minor NPCs) and weren’t even given a decent retcon to apply them to the existing world (at least the asura and norn were “discovered”)

Coming from literally nowhere, they’ve been given the one special gift that they’re somehow immune to dragon corruption. Something that’s extremely potent as a plot point.

Additionally, the two foremost NPCs in the game thusfar NOT designed just so that your race has a hero too are both sylvari (Scarlet and Traherne)

So, again, I marvel at a brand new race that sprang from nowhere being suddenly added to the lore and made literally the most important one.

The alternative would have been a race that has a richer history than the Charr in the collective lore of Tyria.

The only explanation I can think of is that they knew they needed an elf-like race and Tyria didn’t have any. At which point they had to justify adding them to the world, so they made them super important to gloss over how much of a historical black hole they are.

Yes, and then there are the rumors that the pale tree is really supposed to be a minion of the jungle dragon.

Elf-like perhaps, but they’re not elves, and that’s an important distinction (they did have Dwarves at one point, so don’t think it couldn’t have happened). Also, I personally find their backstory and possible looming plot points very captivating, although I despise both Caithe and Traherne.

Finally, I never played Cantha, so can someone point out to me why the Tengu are so interesting? I find their appearance, structure, and overall design aesthetic to be inferior to every race outside the Kodan. (I see them and think, oh great, a bird race, a bear race, whats next, an elephant race? I’ll name my character Babar)

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Finally, I never played Cantha, so can someone point out to me why the Tengu are so interesting? I find their appearance, structure, and overall design aesthetic to be inferior to every race outside the Kodan. (I see them and think, oh great, a bird race, a bear race, whats next, an elephant race? I’ll name my character Babar)

The tengu were, essentially, the Charr of Cantha.

Where they differ is that they were actually not the agressors of that war, the humans were, and they sucessfully defended themselves and may have actually wiped out canthan humanity if not for a man named Togo working diligently to secure a lasting peace. Unlike the Charr, they also had presence on multiple continents, and in the case of Cantha even some villages and quest NPCs.

Also, all of that Tengu stuff was Cantha’s backstory, it hapenned before that campaign, but Tengu were the “other” major sentient race in the region, and Tengu existed as far north as the shiverpeaks 250 years ago in the original Prophecies campaign, though at that time they were simply wordless NPCs much like the majority of Charr.

My point is they have a large grounding in the lore of the world, as much as the Charr and, IMO, would have been a better pick than inventing an out-of-place “elflike” race to pull in… well… people who like elves.

That’s the difference when working with an established world versus making a new one.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Anthony.7219

The tengu were, essentially, the Charr of Cantha.

Where they differ is that they were actually not the agressors of that war, the humans were, and they sucessfully defended themselves and may have actually wiped out canthan humanity if not for a man named Togo working diligently to secure a lasting peace. Unlike the Charr, they also had presence on multiple continents, and in the case of Cantha even some villages and quest NPCs.

Also, all of that Tengu stuff was Cantha’s backstory, it hapenned before that campaign, but Tengu were the “other” major sentient race in the region, and Tengu existed as far north as the shiverpeaks 250 years ago in the original Prophecies campaign, though at that time they were simply wordless NPCs much like the majority of Charr.

My point is they have a large grounding in the lore of the world, as much as the Charr and, IMO, would have been a better pick than inventing an out-of-place “elflike” race to pull in… well… people who like elves.

That’s the difference when working with an established world versus making a new one.

You’re just racist

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

Tengu pls thx

( ‘-’)

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’d like to see the Dwarves come back. New areas of Tyria are explored and we discover a new Dwarven civilization far to the north/south/east/west. They are unaware of their stone brethren but bring new magics and knowledge.

Tengu would be cool too, no doubt. But they have to design them like they were in GW. The few Tengu seen in GW2 look like scrawny, squat chickens. They need to be warriors, not hunched-over & feathered WoW-trolls.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Katre.1084

Katre.1084

The Tengu do not need to be from Cantha (though I want to see that expansion too). There were Tengu in Prophesies before Factions was released.

Anthony.7219

The Tengu do not need to be from Cantha (though I want to see that expansion too). There were Tengu in Prophesies before Factions was released.

There is Tengu in GW2. They have a whole city, they’re just waiting for something / isolationist.

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

they could make centaur the new race,

then we can really see if

“I CAN RUN FASTER THAN A CENTAR”

Posted by: Mel.8769

Mel.8769

Maybe these guys in Lion’s Arch?

Attachments:

Common sense is a flower that doesn’t grow in everyone’s garden. -Unknown

Posted by: Kalastraer.8264

Kalastraer.8264

They already said that likely candidates for playable races are Heket, Tengu, or Kodan. Skritt, Quaggan, and Grawl are likely never going to be playable if you ask me. Also from what I recall they said if they even do another profession it’ll be WAYYY down the road and likely another soldier profession.

I hate the soldier, it ruins the game environment of fantasy world

Posted by: dragonscale.3589

dragonscale.3589

I would honestly love to see Tengu, Naga, Grawl, or Dwarf. CLASSIC GW races. Also, I agree, We don’t need any new professions, maybe just more options with each one. And if they did, It would make since to have another Heavy armor class, to make it even.

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

I would love to play a skritt. Thats right, skritt.

Quagans are so stupid and lethargic that they flat out deserve to go extinct. Only thing they’re good for is leather and backpacks, and even thats on the low end as far better can be made of far superior materials.

Kodans, same deal. too lethargic. They have tougher hides so would make better backpacks then the quaggans.

Skritt on the other hand and spunky, funny, and have a ton of personality.

Can anyone here imagine a 3 way epic SM zerg battle with skritt running around using ascended / legendary broken bottles as weapons and yelling : “More come, yes !?!”

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

Anthony.7219

Seriously, centaurs. I don’t see why one band of centaurs (not all of them) couldn’t come to peace with the humans in exchange for land to build a city. It’ll never happen though, re-working the armor would take FOREVER.

I would be so excited about that. So many awesome possibilities.

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

Sorry, but this deserves it’s own thread. So it’s been said that there’s “probability of a new race or profession is high and so are the currently unreachable lands of the original Guild Wars”.

My speculation is quaggan playable race. As for profession, pure Ritualist would be nice to see. I miss my Spirit Spammer builds that would make an unending mini army of ranged attackers.

Sorry, but you really should search before posting, as this topic has been covered TO DEATH already.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/A-Case-Against-New-Playable-Races/first#post2305618

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/New-Races-Classes

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/What-race-races-will-likely-become-playable

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Future-Playable-Races

Etc, etc…

I wish I could find a source for this but I remember an interview where ArenaNet said that the “lesser” races (skritt, quaggan, hylek) were never going to become playable races. If anyone knows that source please link it?

The obstacle is the path.

Anthony.7219

Sorry, but this deserves it’s own thread. So it’s been said that there’s “probability of a new race or profession is high and so are the currently unreachable lands of the original Guild Wars”.

My speculation is quaggan playable race. As for profession, pure Ritualist would be nice to see. I miss my Spirit Spammer builds that would make an unending mini army of ranged attackers.

Sorry, but you really should search before posting, as this topic has been covered TO DEATH already.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/A-Case-Against-New-Playable-Races/first#post2305618

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/New-Races-Classes

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/What-race-races-will-likely-become-playable

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/suggestions/Future-Playable-Races

Etc, etc…

I wish I could find a source for this but I remember an interview where ArenaNet said that the “lesser” races (skritt, quaggan, hylek) were never going to become playable races. If anyone knows that source please link it?

Its a fun thread/topic. No need to get so worked up.

Posted by: biggs.4702

biggs.4702

They already said that likely candidates for playable races are Heket, Tengu, or Kodan. Skritt, Quaggan, and Grawl are likely never going to be playable if you ask me. Also from what I recall they said if they even do another profession it’ll be WAYYY down the road and likely another soldier profession.

Plate armor ruins your fantasy world environment, huh?

I don’t think you realize that the professions and armor types of Guild Wars 2 are classified as Scholar (light armor), Adventurer (medium armor), and Soldier (heavy armor).

Check it out on the wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Profession

The obstacle is the path.

Posted by: Mel.8769

Mel.8769

The search fx is broken.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/forum/Search-feature-not-working/first

If the OP wasn’t aware of this, then they wouldn’t have used the google trick, or read through 756892364 threads to find related topics.

A nicer way to say it would have been, “Hey here are some other threads on the topic that you might be interested in,” instead of immediately attacking the OP.

Common sense is a flower that doesn’t grow in everyone’s garden. -Unknown

Posted by: Kalastraer.8264

Kalastraer.8264

Plate armor ruins your fantasy world environment, huh?

I don’t think you realize that the professions and armor types of Guild Wars 2 are classified as Scholar (light armor), Adventurer (medium armor), and Soldier (heavy armor).

Check it out on the wiki: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Profession

Ooooooh! i thought they meant like withguns and kitten

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Maybe these guys in Lion’s Arch?

Those are Tengu; aka: Samurai Werebatbirds.

They will most likely be the next race added, whenever it happens.
Hopefully Cantha comes with them, or it can come first, and then make them playable after. Either way is fine. ;3

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

I really like the Largos- as cliche as the dark and mysterious angel of death theme is
An underwater city would be very interesting and I find the little that we know of their society very intriguing.

Tengu will probably be first though- I have no desire to play one but i have been wondering what is behind the wall forever.
I like the Kodan too but would not play one of those either.

to the person hating on the Sylvari- they are not elves, they are not humans.
I love the Sylvari- they are incredibly original and very well designed.
Hated them in the beginning until I made one- now I have 3

edit: oh and for a new profession I will do anything to play a Chronomancer- I don’t care what armour class- make it happen

Gunnar’s Hold

(edited by Morrigan.2809)

Posted by: Shelledfade.6435

Shelledfade.6435

quaggan would be a bad idea. They’re too…. lame. Only word for it.

This is coming from someone who has an 80 asura, so my standards are already low.

Posted by: DerWunderWaffle.4316

DerWunderWaffle.4316

My personal vote is for the Kodan. Giant armored polar bears… just too awesome for words. Tengu would be pretty cool as well but I would still prefer the Kodan.

Posted by: a t s e.9614

a t s e.9614

Why everybody wants quaggan? They look weak and liquid , like you could
kill them just by squizzing them . I want a true race , not too ugly tho
Like a mursaat would be.nice . They are.scary and 10000x smarter than
asurans . Stop saying tengu please , those are just walking birds , I really
Hope we get something that we don’t.expect at all .

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

My vote is for karka!

Posted by: oloap.9765

oloap.9765

I really like the Largos- as cliche as the dark and mysterious angel of death theme is
An underwater city would be very interesting and I find the little that we know of their society very intriguing.

I vote for lagros too, of all the races they are the only one theat would persuade me to make a new char..

i’m surprised nobody is voucing for them!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think if I had to throw my vote in for what they pick as the new race, I’d go with Largos as well, although I would be ok with Tengu or Kodan as well. Largos would potentially give their underwater play a bit more emphasis, and open the world a bit further.

I don’t think skritt or quaggan will ever be playable races though. They could prove me wrong, but I think I’d prefer if they remained npc only.

Just my 2 cents.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

I don’t see any of the races we recruit/assist in the Personal Storyline as viable choices – the plot logic would break down pretty badly if you were a Hylek out recruiting Hylek and yet completely clueless about your own people for example.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Nike.2631

I’ll also point out ANet has been painfully reluctant to bring back/pay the voice talent used for the male and female heroes of each race. A new race means bringing in even more critical outside talent to record the entire Personal Story script again for the 11th and 12th times while making the entire process that much more difficult for our characters to ever find their voice again in future story content.

I doubt we will see a new race until there’s a new and separate campaign/personal story for them to evolve through.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Would seem to weird for me to play tengu, after killing so many of them just for their feathers in gw1 :/

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

link to the statement?

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Nike.2631

Would seem to weird for me to play tengu, after killing so many of them just for their feathers in gw1 :/

That’s ok, they’ve been scalping humans for their pretty fur for the last two-hundred years too…

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

link to the statement?

Probably doesn’t have one.

Colin has said in the last few months that we will see new playable races. Gave no time table, only that we would.

He also said that if they did a new profession it would like be a heavy and it’s the furthest thing down on their list basically.

(PAX and Twitch interviews)

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: kazeneko.7296

kazeneko.7296

i would love to see rit and derv an aoe heavy scythe could add a lot to the game. and the spirit spamer is always fun

Posted by: uknortherner.2670

uknortherner.2670

I’d love to see people not necro old threads that have run their course.

I stole a special snowflake’s future by exercising my democratic right to vote.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

The conclusion to this thread.. They all did not come. But who knows, ever.

Then again, that is what I said in this thread half a year ago. A profession is last on there list… there words, not mine.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

New races and professions will be here soon! I’m POSITIVE of it!!

(Definition of positive from The Devil’s Dictionary: http://dd.pangyre.org/p/positive.html
Positive
adj. Mistaken at the top of one’s voice.)

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

Well, since this thread is back I’ll put my hand up for largos as well, since my last look was back in the seven month zone.

Now I’ll go see what I posted on page one.

Hmm, it was tengu.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

What a great necro. Props!

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Ehhhh we’ll probs never see a new race/profession, just saying…

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I want Ritualist (profession), Largos (the vampire looking things) or Kodan (they’d look epic with ice-themed armor tbh).

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

I vote for lagros too, of all the races they are the only one theat would persuade me to make a new char..

i’m surprised nobody is voucing for them!

Why stop at a city? Underwater dungeon, underwater World Bosses, underwater zones… Talk about room for expansion!

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Who dug this thread up? Put it back!

Okay, my copypasta response all these threads:

Forget anything that is a studyable race in the LS. Thats Ogres, Skritt, Hylek, Grawl, Quaggans.
Forget any of the antagonist races/factions. That would be Centaurs (plus, how would they swim?), Nightmare Court, Flame Legion, Inquest, Svanir.

Largos are out as, according to the personal story, they are incredibly rare and avoid contact with all other races if at all possible. It would be as stupid as the Miqo’te in FF14 ARR – they’re supposedly rare and solitary creatures yet the designers make them in such a way that EVERYONE who faps to nekomimi will roll one.

What does this leave us? Kodan, Tengu, Ettin and a handful of others which have groups who are non-antagonistic. Kodan is out right away, they are Norn-based. Tengu are possible but require a very specific armour redesign and we can see what a mess Anet made of Charr armour. Ettin would be fun, but they don’t wear clothes so we can forget them.

Personally, I want to see playable Ooze, but I know it’ll never happen.

Posted by: Dusty Moon.4382

Dusty Moon.4382

I want Ritualist (profession), Largos (the vampire looking things) or Kodan (they’d look epic with ice-themed armor tbh).

Ritualist will not make it in due to the way Combat is done in GW2. In GW1, rits were plant and ghost spam but since there is not enchants or curses and the 6 gods have withdrawn, I do not see a Ritualist in future of this game.

A Paragon – maybe.

But, who knows what A.Net has up their sleeve.

Posted by: Thereon.3495

Thereon.3495

Lets ignore the fact that I was trawling through Reddit looking for when Colin said “No new areas or races this year” thinking this thread was new for a second….

Ok so one thing thats been mentioned with regards to a new race is the personal story. Certain races would not fit into the current personal story and so can be discounted right? Well think about it this way- why would a new race need the current personal story? Why not give it its own unique story? Would drive sales (either gems or expansion) and create a huge buzz. Those that were not that interested would buy just for the new achievements and lore….

Just seems logical.

Thereon Avenrise – former [Noes] Officer – Piken Square (EU)
Retired and living in a shack. Relaxing!

Posted by: A Massive Headache.1879

A Massive Headache.1879

Lets ignore the fact that I was trawling through Reddit looking for when Colin said “No new areas or races this year” thinking this thread was new for a second….

Ok so one thing thats been mentioned with regards to a new race is the personal story. Certain races would not fit into the current personal story and so can be discounted right? Well think about it this way- why would a new race need the current personal story? Why not give it its own unique story? Would drive sales (either gems or expansion) and create a huge buzz. Those that were not that interested would buy just for the new achievements and lore….

Just seems logical.

I’m thinking the same thing, and especially with what i hear about the chinese release, that it won’t have the personal story and that they’ll have skipped the first living story season, maybe there will be a new, hopefully good, personal story that could go along side the living story that a newly introduced race could partake in. I’m still rooting for tengu

EDIT: I’d also like to mention, when i saw this forum post in the top of the gw2 discussion it took me way longer than i’d like to admit to realize this was a necro.

Posted by: Kurrilino.2706

Kurrilino.2706

Grub
/15 Chars

Man that would be A-Nets dream….
A Grub located in Queensdales Troll cave.
You are born, level up to 80 eating mushrooms and can’t leave the already existing cave.

This would be announced as THIS world changing permanent contend with highest expectations.