Precourser for Achievement Points

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

I think I remember that thread where I pounded you for saying something along the lines of;
- precursors should be given at 5000 points
- I have 6000 points

Which reads as “I want a free precursor”. Such an argument obviously doesn’t hold.

I’m not against the idea of precursors for achievement points, but it should be implemented correctly. A rather large gold+laurel+karma+commendation pricepoint sounds reasonable. At the 10k AP point.

How does it not hold? What makes your suggestion of 10k any more valid than his suggestion of 5k? If someone has 5,000 achievement points, then they put in the time and effort to earn them. If if they’re earned, then why would a reward obtained with them be free?

Posted by: tfwzyko.3516

tfwzyko.3516

What first game were you playing?

That’s true for weapons awarded for finishing the game, or torment weapons, but if you wanted destroyer weapons or obsidian armor, or any elite armor set really you were faced with either farming and hoping for the right materials to drop or buying them. Sure you could buy them from NPC merchants, but at a price set by supply and demand from other players.

And how many people spent hours running dungeons hoping for a particular green weapon to drop? And how many of them just wanted to sell it to one of the many people who weren’t willing to take their chances with the RNG?

How is that any different to precursors in GW2?

the point i was making was you could always see how far you are from achieving your goal with guild wars 1, GW2 i can have everything but the precursor and never know if i will ACTUALLY obtain it.

The only reason i see anet implementing this is as a hook for you to play the game. (a hook for that type of player)

(edited by tfwzyko.3516)

Posted by: Jalad Lantana.3027

Jalad Lantana.3027

If it ever comes to be it will definitely be one per character and soulbound.

My guess is the APs required will more than anyone has now, so no risk to gem sales.

HOD
Guardian / Ranger / Mesmer / Necro / Warrior
Played since 1st online ‘demo’ months before the BWEs.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Precursor for Achievement Points only if it is bound and can’t be sold at the TP… otherwise the price would drop because too many players would just get one to sell it – leaving lucky ones that get one as drop at a disadvantage(they can’t sell them at a good price anymore then – waste of luck). Also legendary made from this should be bound.

Under no circumstances can I see that someone who gets a lucky precursor drop would be at a disadvantage. That’s like saying people getting exotic drops are at a disadvantage because you can buy them with dungeon tokens.

Unless you mean that getting lucky would no longer mean that you were financially set for life. In which case I’m all for it.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

If it ever comes to be it will definitely be one per character and soulbound.

My guess is the APs required will more than anyone has now, so no risk to gem sales.

I think more common precursors would actually increase gem sales. Right now the cost of a precursor (say 400 gold) is just under $200 U.S. That’s ridiculous. Almost nobody is going to buy that many gems. But if we had a precursor, they could nibble away as people tried to create the legendary.

Of course, the cost of materials would go through the roof. But that’s a separate issue.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: UrMom.4205

UrMom.4205

i made a post about this earlier and got pretty much pounded into the ground about it…so prepare for all the negative comments. From what i said earlier, the devs mentioned a scavenger hunt and a way for players to see their progress towards a precursor. Having an entire very large achievement tree dedicated to a precursor fits the bill on both of those requirements. Also as I said earlier rewards from achievements are usually account bound so if the scavenger hunt was hard enough it would help keep precursors in the tp at a relatively high price. It would all come down to making the requirements hard enough and/or time consuming enough to keeping the ones on the tp a better deal.

I think I remember that thread where I pounded you for saying something along the lines of;
- precursors should be given at 5000 points
- I have 6000 points

Which reads as “I want a free precursor”. Such an argument obviously doesn’t hold.

I’m not against the idea of precursors for achievement points, but it should be implemented correctly. A rather large gold+laurel+karma+commendation pricepoint sounds reasonable. At the 10k AP point.

please find that post because i most def didn’t say that. I literally have been saying this over and over again…but people seem to not understand what i’m saying. It would only work if it was 1. account bound, 2. really hard to achieve..that way it keeps the rng precursors in the tp worth something but also gives players a chance to achieve it on their own and not at the mercy of rng.

Team Raven [TR](Dead)
Wu Táng Financial [Táng] – YB

Posted by: esit.3927

esit.3927

Not sure if this side of the argument has been said before but this is my story/side of it…

In a game like this I want a “Aim”. I have completed every part of earning a Legendary Weapon but I miss a pre-cursor, unfortunately for me I now no longer have a certain aim with the exception of a massive Trading Post price of course.

Now don’t get me wrong I know some will say that is a aim but I am no where near the 400g asking price of the Trading Post at the moment and with people saying “Giving a Pre-Cursor away with Achievement points is a bad idea” I personally don’t see how just buying part of a Legendary Weapon in the Trading Post is any better of a idea.

End of the day in my opinion I am currently at a stumbling block and I am at a “Fingers crossed stage” randomly hoping for RNG out of Mystic Forge

So I do not want a Pre-Cursor for free but I don’t want it to be down to luck specially not being a lucky person and might have to wait months for a bit of it.

So to keep everyone happy we need something that people can “Sell” if they want and make money or “Earn” for there Legendary Weapon. I think and I am totally up for discussion of course and not saying we MUST have this is a Karma binding solution.

Karma has to been earned so slap Pre-Cursors in a Karma Npc at a mega Karma price so its not easy to get but a Grind/Aim is there for something to work towards. People can then not complain about it being easy not complain that they cant make money nor would it kill Mystic Forge if people still wanted to try RNG from time to time.

Thoughts Please?

Posted by: ThirtyOne.3976

ThirtyOne.3976

Whilst I would love it to be implemented, being a quite unlucky with RNG player, I just don’t see it happening through this method, whilst it does take dedication to reach X achievement points for whichever play style, it makes it too accessible for everyone to achieve devaluing a legendary item even more with the inflation of the number acquired, to those lucky sods who already have a legendary or sold a precursor and having a free pass to yet another, it means they still yet have more than I do, thanks to luck and now thanks to a proposed guaranteed means.

Void my comment if you make the precursor account bound though, then I don’t mind too much.

Save my heart tomorrow.

Posted by: LFk.1408

LFk.1408

I wouldn’t want this, and if it’s any kind of verification that this isn’t out of personal interests, i’m almost at 9,500 AP.

As much as I wouldn’t mind a free precursor, this is not what I wanted legendary items to be, and passing out a precursor to everyone for AP is just further in the wrong direction.

ArenaNet needs a redo with this. The current set of legendary weapons are now too common, and it might already be too late for this set. I hope a release in the future contains a new set of legendaries with a more refined way of acquiring them, and is also appropriately rare.

Posted by: Murashin.8295

Murashin.8295

Quote the guy above me: legendaries are too common atm, no need of scavenger hunt:
Hope they will release a second set of Legendaries MORE difficult to obtain.

(ps for the the thread author: I bought The Hunter for 413 gold. Neved had a good drop in GW2, only CoF farming. So stop complaining)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

What first game were you playing?

That’s true for weapons awarded for finishing the game, or torment weapons, but if you wanted destroyer weapons or obsidian armor, or any elite armor set really you were faced with either farming and hoping for the right materials to drop or buying them. Sure you could buy them from NPC merchants, but at a price set by supply and demand from other players.

And how many people spent hours running dungeons hoping for a particular green weapon to drop? And how many of them just wanted to sell it to one of the many people who weren’t willing to take their chances with the RNG?

How is that any different to precursors in GW2?

the point i was making was you could always see how far you are from achieving your goal with guild wars 1, GW2 i can have everything but the precursor and never know if i will ACTUALLY obtain it.

The only reason i see anet implementing this is as a hook for you to play the game. (a hook for that type of player)

How could you see how far you were from your goal?

How many runs does it take before you’re guaranteed a Bone Dragon Staff will drop? Or any green weapon? Or even something like enough ecto for Obsidian armor? You can see drop rate research and get an idea of the average but because it’s random there is no guarantee you won’t be the anomalous outlier. And you’ve got exactly the same option for precursors in GW2.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Zil.3071

Zil.3071

lawl for 8000? no way. change it to green gear thn if so. at least 15k points

Posted by: karmakill.5931

karmakill.5931

OP u nearly got 8k achiev points and no legendary (i assume you want one)…thats just wow, i love doing achieves all the time and i got twilight at around 4k achieves (bought precursor), by the time i reach 8k achiev points, i will probably have like another 2k gold lying around, getting even 2 legendaries is easier then 8k achiev points, as for ppl saying 15k achiev points, oh man, could probably get 10 precursors worth of crap by the time i hit that mark.

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I don’t care about the despairity between new players and old players I just don’t think everyone should have a Legendary. That isn’t what a Legendary weapon is. If all you had to do wakitten 8k achievment points they would just be common skins. Just throw them in a vendor then and call it a day.

Posted by: Chorel.1720

Chorel.1720

I don’t care about the despairity between new players and old players I just don’t think everyone should have a Legendary. That isn’t what a Legendary weapon is. If all you had to do wakitten 8k achievment points they would just be common skins. Just throw them in a vendor then and call it a day.

They already ARE pretty common skins. A legendary weapon is not a legendary weapon because they can be sold on the trading post which was a stupid decision.

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

They already ARE pretty common skins. A legendary weapon is not a legendary weapon because they can be sold on the trading post which was a stupid decision.

They are still pretty rare. You don’t see them everywhere. If you don’t count the great sword legendaries you see, I’d say they are quite rare.

Greatsword Legendaries squewe the perception a little bit because there are 3 separate great sword legendary skins, and they are huge so they stand out more.

Because of their very high price on the TP, the fact that they are there does not ruin the rarity of the item. I do agree that it ruins the fluff of what a Legendary weapon should be but I can accept that.