Precursor Bull Kitten

Precursor Bull Kitten

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mochann.5298

Mochann.5298

I’m bringing up this old touchy topic as I just recently started seriously going for my Legendary.

The amount of kitten you have to go through to get the mats for the gifts is annoying, but I’m not too concerned and I know I can do it within a month or two. I am already about 40% done with all the mats and requirements as of this writing.

I’m more concerned with the Precursor, which I am reading so many horror stories about. What’s the best way to get one? It seems I should just play normally and either it drops into my hands out of thin air or I reach the 800 gold I need to buy it off the TP… Whichever comes first.

That said, I find it utterly absurd that I need to spend 600, maybe 800 gold to get a precursor. I can probably grind that amount in six months or so, though.

Is there any news about precursor crafting? It’s ridiculous that Anet has known about this problem for about a year now judging from old topics I’ve read about this issue. You’d think a solution would have come up by now. Can’t Anet just do a 1000 Badge of Honor, 1000 pvp glory token, 1000 shard of zaitan and 1000 fractal relic recipe to dump in the mystic toilet for a precursor? That kind of effort seems legendary enough for me, covers all the game modes to show your mastery, to replace the unending tedium of grinding for 800 gold.

#ELEtism on Eredon Terrace

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Jrunyon.3012

Jrunyon.3012

If you think precursor crafting is going to be any less tedious than farming 400 – 800g, you might want to rethink that. Anet has stated that they do not want to shock the market too badly and making it easy will do just that.

Nesmee – Thief
[OHai] – Northern Shiverpeaks

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

If it takes you that much time to farm that much gold, either you are a casual player needing a readjustment in expectations or you don’t know how to make gold.

Besides, the precursor is no different than any of the other purchasable components in the legendary.

If you can farm the 800 gold required for non-precursor purchases, you can farm the precursor easily.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Or just play the game, and one might drop for you like Dusk did for me! Or maybe they will have another big event like the original Karka one and you will get a precursor there. I did. Too bad I didn’t know much about Precursors back then. Sold it for like 80 gold, I think. Now it’s worth 100s. Lol.

Or..some people use the Mystic Forge. At least there are options. =)

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

I though legendaries were suppose to be hard to get? Go figure.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Baels.3469

Baels.3469

Not really a valid statement.

With increased inflation within the economy over time, the resultant inflation on precursors serves to make the gold gating on obtaining one extremely high.

The gathering of the other components (i.e. the gifts, lodes, doubloons and everything else they entail) is the ‘difficult to get and time/effort’ part. Those aspects can take months to obtain – the same rate the crafting of a high end weapon in most generic MMO’s. (See Aion, PW, every other MMO ever)

If the complaint was about gifts etc. Then i’d say, no, you’re right. Otherwise they’d be too easy to obtain. If I had everything but the precursor right now, and had to stop playing for 2-3 months… if those precursors rose another 400g due to inflation, it’s not exactly generating more riveting gameplay, is it? It’s just inflation causing a larger gold time gate

Blackgate
[MERC] – Oceanic

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

I suggest the forge because that is where my and others in my guilds success has come from getting precursors.

It is valid. If they weren’t hard to get they’d just call them “Ordinaries” instead of “Legendaries” because every single player would have them… just like the no level white weapons every character starts out with.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: StinVec.3621

StinVec.3621

Only thing I can contribute at this time as I have no interest whatsoever in the entire concept of legendary anything in this game:

“Bull Kitten”

Attachments:

| [“I’d really like this…” — Resource for Gifting Strangers] |
| [Free Ports For All “Not So Secret” JP Needs (and 1st Try Dive Tips)] |
| [Classic Thread: “all is vain”] |

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

I actually LIKE that legendaries are so difficult to get. As it is, there are far too many people with them already.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

there’s one thing you may never do, to get your precursor: Buying gems! cus then, you might have your legendary, but meanwhile, anet kitten you over twice. They have your money and you used a kinda cheaty way to get your item = less rewarding feels

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: moonlightseal.6927

moonlightseal.6927

They could hand out precursors out free tomorrow and the price for creating one would be the same or maybe go up because of t6 material prices due to increased demand.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Baels.3469

Baels.3469

I suggest the forge because that is where my and others in my guilds success has come from getting precursors.

It is valid. If they weren’t hard to get they’d just call them “Ordinaries” instead of “Legendaries” because every single player would have them… just like the no level white weapons every character starts out with.

You know what’s great? Context. I love context, it’s so great.

Blackgate
[MERC] – Oceanic

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I remember when seeing a Legendry was a once in a blue moon event. Now I see someone different with one every time I log on. Yes the price for them is a bit high, but then so was the price of some weapons in Guild Wars 1. I remember the price of an Eternal Blade. If I could really be bothered I could have saved for one. But I never did. It was the one sword I really wanted but never did, dew to it not dropping for me. Some for legendary’s. I would really like the Flamseeker Prophercies, but it’s just too much hassle and farming to get for me, well my biggest problem with it all is the clovers. And needing to be just plain lucky to get them. That gets a no from me, and a no to the who thing. If the items for it where fun to get then I’d probably go for one. But they won’t. And people will cry abou how they had to do it for there’s and that it’s not fair. I just think the whole prosses needs to be refined and made fun not a chore.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: videoboy.4162

videoboy.4162

It makes sense that Legendaries are hard to get. However, I don’t think it makes any sense that the Precursor is next to impossible to get without buying it. I’ve had everything I need for The Bifrost for 11 months, but haven’t been able to get The Legend.

What’s the point in a weapon that I never get to use? Once I get the precursor, it will immediately be dumped into the Forge. It seems like the precursor is something that the game would want you to have and use, while you work to upgrade it to its Legendary Form.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Valandil Dragonhart.2371

Valandil Dragonhart.2371

^ what he said. I’ve had all my gifts since Nov ‘12 and I’m in the same boat. No ‘The Legend’ for me either. I mean it’s not like I don’t try for it. Are we the unluckiest players in the game?

The old-school Arrow-Key warrior.
“Obtaining a legendary should be done through legendary feats…
Not luck and credit cards.”

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: nirvana.8245

nirvana.8245

What I can earn in gold per hour from my employer is considerably more than I can grind from GW2. I think thats what they are aiming for. I had grinded out some (2) legendarys previously. But it got to the point where I would lose alot of sleep staying up all night grinding away and I just decided that this wasn’t the way to go. I don’t enjoy grinding. So I just decided recently that I will just buy any precursor and some of the materials I need to make legendary. It might sound strange, but now I can play the game the way I want a little more than I did before. My only concern now is that I still have to farm achievements for laurels. If there was a way to buy laurels I would finally be able to play the game the way I want with no need to do anything else.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Zahrexsiiszb.8472

Zahrexsiiszb.8472

Well man … when Cof p1 was zerk-farm-gold fest, i farmed all golds for mats and i have all gifts since April. Then i stopped playing the game bcs of school. I came back in middle of summer holidays. I farmed in dungeons about 600g+ (about 2 months in dungeons) and i bought rare gss. I put my 600g+ to a mystic toilet and nothing … Now i have earned another 780g via dungeon runs and i need to focus on school again … so in a month i think i might buy dusk via Tp … about me: 1600h play from day 2, about 7,8k achievs, almost 3k WvW kills, 600 frac runs (1 frac skin), thousands of dungeon runs, not a single precursor was dropped during this.
… this “legendary progress” is so bad, i mean, farming all mats to get gifts is imho okay for me, just do dungeon runs to get gold and buy via tp, but that prec thing from MF or via Tp is seriously bad, Precs should be for game progress …

earn golds, buy prec, .. .remember, you can get luck with MF or you can not. I prefer buy via TP now …

(edited by Zahrexsiiszb.8472)

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

If it takes you that much time to farm that much gold, either you are a casual player needing a readjustment in expectations or you don’t know how to make gold.

Lolwat?? I make like 1g on an average wvw/spvp day, and I don’t play every day. You mean I would have to farm some 1 year and 6 months? And that is fair? Errr

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Maestria of Strat.2974

Maestria of Strat.2974

You could also go for a legendary that has lower priced precursor. Underwater maybe?

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

“Hard” and “RNG” or “getting lucky” are two different things imo….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The way Anet has designed this game, the way to play is to farm gold and use that gold to buy what you want off the TP. Drop rates are so poor that farming for items is generally not recommended.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

What ANet need to do is the following. Make precursor’s drop more frequently, or have them at a greater chance from somewhere. E.g. Temple chests. Or add a very long scavenger hunt. With the end result being we can pick one precursor from there. Then you can get one that way. If they did that maybe one day I’d think about getting one

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: KStudios.2850

KStudios.2850

I know I’m the minority here, but I got my first precursor on only the 13th attempt at the Forge. I know that frustrates a lot of people. I simply went off the rumor that whenever one precursor is earned by the Forge, there is a certain duration of time in which the Forge has a higher % chance to give another. I hung about Lion’s Arch whenever I had downtime ingame and waited for people to ping their “lottery winnings” in map chat, then hit the forge myself. I’m well aware this is just a rumor, and that I have no way of verifying whether or not this method works directly just by my account alone, but it did work for me.

Yumiko Togashii
Commander to [SLVR], Housepet to [GH]

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Start gambling.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: RedCobra.7693

RedCobra.7693

after getting 2 and going for my 3rd id say buy it, get your pre first, dont be one of those fools that leave it until the end, 800g isnt so much when you save for that first, place it in your mind that once you have your pre it will be an easy walk from there, and it will because it will be step by step materials, rodgorts flame is mine xD but dusk and zap werent so easy, get your pre first

RedCobra – Ranked PVP Druid
Current Season – Platinum (Soloq)
Retired GW2 ESL Tournament Admin

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

800G is not easy to get, unless by easy you mean saving for 12 months or playing 10 hours/day.

Precursor Bull Kitten

RedCobra.7693

it is if you don’t waste anything, too many players complain about wanting a legendary but not being able to get it, they dont REALLY want it, i wanted it so bad i put off getting things like fancy skins and QoL items, thats what you have to do if you want one, , play the market, do 2-3 dungeons a day, complete your daily trade tokens for exo’s theres plenty you can do, just save it dont be tempted to waste it.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Not really a valid statement.(…)

It’s a very valid statement, legendary weapons are spouse to be rare, they’re NOT end game content.
As is there’s plenty enough around, imagine if everyone was logging one around, what’s the point then really?

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Precursor Bull Kitten

Sirendor.1394

If they just give away precursor with dungeon tokens and wvw badges that you get from wvw they will have to refund alot of people because that will make legendaries so easy to get.

Not really. Nobody was forced to make a legendary. And the amount of people who are selling a precursor are faaaar in the minority compared to people who can’t afford one. I would say 0,5% of players maybe.

Precursor Bull Kitten

RedCobra.7693

If they just give away precursor with dungeon tokens and wvw badges that you get from wvw they will have to refund alot of people because that will make legendaries so easy to get.

Not really. Nobody was forced to make a legendary. And the amount of people who are selling a precursor are faaaar in the minority compared to people who can’t afford one. I would say 0,5% of players maybe.

im telling you now, if they made pre’s that easy to get id want my 1500g back >:C

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Ravenmoon.5318

Ravenmoon.5318

The much larger issue is for the kittens that flip precursors at the TP and obviously changing the price. Dawn used to be 300-400g few months ago, now its 700 lowest while there has been no gold boost. Go figure. Items NEED to have hardcoded TOP price. Player-driven economy is just a mess. Too many greedy people.

Screw precursors … lvl 20 Masterwork item costs 12 silver, or more. <o>

(edited by Ravenmoon.5318)

Precursor Bull Kitten

Sirendor.1394

The much larger issue is for the kittens that flip precursors at the TP and obviously changing the price. Dawn used to be 300-400g few months ago, now its 700 lowest while there has been no gold boost. Go figure.

Speculation takes risk. Again, nobody forced them to do that, it’s like throwing your money away and complaining that it’s gone… Not my problem.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

If you aren’t going to buy a precursor I honestly believe that any precursor crafting or scavenger hunt should force you to demonstrate a high skill level in every aspect of the game. Just giving away precursors, however, is a terrible idea,as it undermines people’s hardwork (and for some people, RL money) that they put in to get their legendary.

Any crafting or scavenger hunt should be about as grindy as farming 800g or however much money the precursor of your desire is valued at. There’s no way anet will make it easy. There’s no way they will destroy the RNG precursor market (forge) as it will cause the exotic market to crumble with it.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Check the price for your specific precursor before you worry too much.

A lot of people complaining are going for Dusk and/or Dawn which are usually the most expensive. Some of them are very cheap.

For example Rodgort’s Flame was about 50g last time I looked. I’ve been tempted to get it a few times, except that I want to make The Dreamer first.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

To everyone hoping precursor crafting will magically place a precursor on their lap with little to no effort:

http://www.relicsoforr.com/?p=2861

How do you see precursor crafting affecting the current precursor market?

John: We are still working on this, but our goal is to not hurt the current precursor market, as it’s a great market for keeping the value of materials in check. This is a tricky goal, and when we are closer to releasing it we’ll talk about it more.

@op
Go buy everything else you need for the legendary of your choice at your own pace.

Precursor crafting may make your chosen precursor cheaper or it may actually go up in price(crafting Dusk will probably be cheaper compared to TP price but then again Dusk will probably be more expensive by that time and the mats required to craft it will rise accordingly).

(edited by Izaya.2906)

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: cmud.5689

cmud.5689

I think what the OP wants to say is that it is progressively harder to obtain a precursor as time passes by. Example: were farming methods 6 months ago different than they are now? No. This concludes following:

- you spent roughly the same amount of time farming gold now than 6 months, 8, whatever months ago, and the gold output is the same
-price of the precursor steadily goes up as the supply cant catch up → a precursor now is worth more than back in the day, but farming yields the same results.
-for those that like FSG champ farming, the actual output of the champ boxes was changed, the silver gain out of boxes is lower than some time ago.

So as you can see, it is not a complaint of “a hard task to complete” but a “progressively harder task to complete”.

banished from time and space

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

I feel the issue is mostly tied to dawn and dusk. As has been stated.

It’s not stopping me for going for Sunrise myself, but i can see why people going for Surinse/Twilight/Eternity could be frustrated as their respective cost are a bit absurd currently.

Precursor Bull Kitten

LittleLepton.8915

I feel the issue is mostly tied to dawn and dusk. As has been stated.

It’s not stopping me for going for Sunrise myself, but i can see why people going for Surinse/Twilight/Eternity could be frustrated as their respective cost are a bit absurd currently.

The Legend, too, probably.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Just watch, precursor crafting is going to be a gold and time sink and not as easy to complete as people have speculated.

And not only that, it could more than likely result in overall higher prices as normal players rush to buy all their other materials.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

If you think precursor crafting is going to be any less tedious than farming 400 – 800g, you might want to rethink that. Anet has stated that they do not want to shock the market too badly and making it easy will do just that.

when they said it prices were much lower.

And considering precursor wer from 30 G to 600 i could expect something in the range of 200 G per precursor.

I doubt they will made some cheaper than oters…and that means many will drop a lot.

They didn t say anything about the market btw i recall saying they want to keep intact the feeling of a lucky drop…

200G are indeed a nice feeling.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

Precursor Bull Kitten

RedCobra.7693

i can assure you the price rise isnt to do with speculation or manipulators, precursor crafting has been promised by the devs giving an almost confirmation of a way to get it without having to gamble, this encourages players to hold onto their gold and stay away from RNG, this is causing a drop in supply raising the price, from my knowledge the average drop price of a precursor in the forge is around 450g – 600g, meaning that effectively you can make money if you have average luck, the scare of losing it along with the alure of crafting is making the forge a very unpopular method.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

Im currently only missing The Legend…… last night it was at 820 gold. I currently have 3 gold because of all the other t6 mats that I finished buying yesterday. It isnt my first legendary, I hav Sunrise and Im loving every second of it, I also started this new legendary a little over 2 months ago and already managed to get everything down but the precursor.

Normally I make anywhere between 10-15 gold a day, sometimes 20 gold if I get lucky, but I must admit that it is rather ridiculous. I have to run a very long string of dungeons in order to get those gains, sometimes I dont have the time and can only do half or less, which makes it even worse.

I have also saved all mats which Im hoping will be used in crafting the precursor such as 425 daily crafting mats and quartz. Im guessing that precursor crafting will not only be incredibly grindy, but also incredibly time-gated to the point where I wouldnt be surprised if it needs 250 of those ascended wood mat that you can only craft once a day.

Personally, unlike most people (apparently), I actually like seeing people with legendary, specially the same one Im wearing. People are very selfish and eccentric and get the legendary not because they like it, but because they are rare. These people are the worse for that matter and the ones that oppose all the good changes.

Legendaries should be for your own enjoyment, not other people’s feelings of entitlement. OP, I agree with you, precursor SHOULD be easier to get. To the plank all those who oppose because getting a legendary is the only way for them to feel unique. People should get a legendary cuz they like it (like me), they should give them an option on the UI to hide all other people’s legendaries, they wont have to worry about it anymore.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

As someone saving gold for Leaf of Kudzu, I wish my luck was better and I’d get some sort of windfall with a huge drop that I could sell to afford my precursor. At one point in time I wanted Dusk but with the way prices are going up and up…I’ll just save my gift of darkness and hope that someday I can make something else with it.

I play a LOT, farm a bunch, dungeons, world events, etc….and even with the Ancient Karka event (I got two of the rewards from that event) and still I’ve never gotten a pre-cursor. Game time played, Magic Find, Activities done means nothing in terms of getting a pre and I hate it.

So I save every bit of gold I get in order to someday be able to get one of the land based precursors. UGH

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: blackoil.2673

blackoil.2673

Only thing I can contribute at this time as I have no interest whatsoever in the entire concept of legendary anything in this game:

“Bull Kitten”

I was comming to say this. I really love how this forum replaces the word kitten <—- aaand it’s replaced bullkitten bullkitten bullkitten!

Sorry for the offtopic :/

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I’ve had all my mats except for the precursor since about July or August last year. Been playing since Nov. 2012. I’ve not seen a single precursor drop.

Obtaining it via gold is the only way, which is utterly sad. The Mystic Toilet is called “toilet” for a reason. A thread recently on the forum was posted showing the drop rates from many tries, and it pretty much proved that using the Mystic forge as a method of obtaining a precursor was simply financial suicide.

I know a precursor will drop for me eventually. It’ll be the one that is only worth about 30gold, whichever it is.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: Stark.1350

Stark.1350

I’ve been playing since release – never seen a precursor drop, but I’ve seen a number of guild mates pick one up.

That didn’t stop me from getting my legendary though. Frankly, we’ve all been working together as a guild and pooling resources to get everyone gold enough to get their precursor. Some have been lucky using the mystic forge.

Play the game, stop turning it into a grind and think of it as a long term goal, and I think you’ll find gold and everything else falling into your lap more often than not.

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

Legendaries should be hard to get… precursors should not.

However, it turns out that the precursor is the only part that is truly difficult. The rest of the effort is relatively easy in comparison. So with the current situation, ANet doesn’t have much flexibility in making precursors easier to obtain.

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Precursor Bull Kitten

LittleLepton.8915

However, it turns out that the precursor is the only part that is truly difficult. The rest of the effort is relatively easy in comparison. So with the current situation, ANet doesn’t have much flexibility in making precursors easier to obtain.

I’m just curious, what is hard to get, as a part of a legendary, if it isn’t the precursor?

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Precursor Bull Kitten

Posted by: juno.1840

juno.1840

I’m just curious, what is hard to get, as a part of a legendary, if it isn’t the precursor?

Exactly what I said (you did read the 2nd paragraph right?).

Part of me thinks that someone in ANet was thinking “hey, wanna see something funny? Watch this…”

Precursor Bull Kitten

LittleLepton.8915

Exactly what I said (you did read the 2nd paragraph right?).

Agh sorry I misread it.

Fair enough.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1