Precursor crafting. I don't get it . . .

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

New page forum bug.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: MiniEquine.6014

MiniEquine.6014

This thread isn’t about people complaining that precursor crafting is challenging. This point is very important, so I’m going to add another paragraph and suggest that you reread this one a few times.

This thread is saying that the “new” system isn’t a “Legendary Journey” at all. It is the same old system, it’s just that the old currency (gold) is disguised as materials.

I’ve stated it earlier on too but the other people in this thread don’t seem to get it; Guhracie is 100% correct about this here.

I can usually be found supporting or playing devil’s advocate for Anet decisions (that make some sense!) on the forums and get called a white knight for it from time to time (I believe incorrectly, I might add) but when something doesn’t sit right I make my voice heard.

I really like what they did with the achievement sections of precursor crafting.
I really like that there is a new way to get these precursors.

I don’t like that the precursors made through this process (or existing legendaries) are trade-able.
I don’t like how a good number of these precursors literally take hundreds of more gold to craft than to just buy off the TP.
I don’t like time gates on ascended materials

I wanted to have a more involved journey, not just a massive sink for gold and materials. Obviously there would be some of that to an extent, but there’s no way I could ever rationalize making the cheaper precursors out there through the new crafting methods. The precursors I am going to make are still going to take at least a month each, I estimate, which isn’t bad, but that’s if I don’t run out of gold trying to supplement my daily ascended crafting and the amount of time I can play every day.

I am merely disappointed. My only regret was leveling my Precursor Crafting mastery to full before knowing the extent of it.

Posted by: Zaron.1987

Zaron.1987

You really expected to get the precursor for only doing challenges and not investing gold by mats ? O.o

The devs already said before releasing it they dont want to crash precursors/forge and thats the right/good way!

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

All it shows is that far too many people thought that they could do an event, kill a vet spider, commune with a hero point and have a 900gold weapon dropped in their lap. The delusion is strong.

I just don’t want to have to drop 900 gold on top of a bunch of legwork. Make the journey long and difficult, I don’t care. I just want to feel like that time is getting me something. Because there’s nothing uncertain about grinding 900 gold and dropping it on the Trading Post. If I were willing to spend $90 in gems, I could get one right now, guaranteed. I don’t care if it would require one or two months of work, I just don’t want to spend 50 hours grinding the Silverwastes.

I wanted the journey to get my precursor to be epic, not just another gold grind like most of the Gifts. Turns out it’s still a grind for gold, and almost the exact same one as before plus extra work.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

MiniEquine.6014

You really expected to get the precursor for only doing challenges and not investing gold by mats ? O.o

The devs already said before releasing it they dont want to crash precursors/forge and thats the right/good way!

As I stated in the post above, no.

A glaring issue with precursor crafting right now is for the following precursors it is literally not worth it to craft them rather than buy them:

Spear – 100G on TP
Focus – 130G on TP
Torch – 213G on TP
Mace – 279G on TP
Pistol – 296G on TP
Warhorn – 350G on TP
Scepter – 399G on TP

At this point it starts to get iffy as to the material trade-off, but you’re talking about half of the weapons being too expensive to craft. The incentive to crafting should be an alternate path, not merely a veiled replica of an existing one. They very well could have required you to do enough challenges of varying difficulty over a long enough period of time and made the precursors un-trade-able.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

A glaring issue with precursor crafting right now is for the following precursors it is literally not worth it to craft them rather than buy them:

Spear – 100G on TP
Focus – 130G on TP
Torch – 213G on TP
Mace – 279G on TP
Pistol – 296G on TP
Warhorn – 350G on TP
Scepter – 399G on TP

At this point it starts to get iffy as to the material trade-off, but you’re talking about half of the weapons being too expensive to craft. The incentive to crafting should be an alternate path, not merely a veiled replica of an existing one. They very well could have required you to do enough challenges of varying difficulty over a long enough period of time and made the precursors un-trade-able.

The costs to craft the precursors are tiered. Underwater weapons all cost one amount. Single handed weapons cost another. Offhand weapons cost another. You’re not going to pay roughly the same amount crafting the underwater precursors as you would for something like The Legend.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3q5yf7/crafted_precursor_the_legend_through_collection/cwclfp9

(edited by Ayrilana.1396)

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

Well I also think that it was bad that Legendaries where tradable, when I found that out 3 years ago I was like WTF? Precursors should have a system like now and should indeed also have been account-bound. It just made no sense that they were tradable from a game-play perspective. Luckily Anet eventually came to that same conclusion and made the new ones account-bound. I also agree they cannot now make the first ones account bound as well.

I agree on legendaries and explained the problem with non tradeable precursers – I don’t want a GS, I want a dagger. So I end up filling my bank with stuff I don’t want. I guess that’s why they were tradeable. No idea why legendaries are.

However I disagree that only that part is the problem. That part completely devalues the game-play value of the item, and you solve that by making is account-bound.

Not sure if I got you right, but I tried to explain it above: I’m pretty sure they hadn’t had the resources to make a legendary journey at launch.

The rest of what you wrote is an idealization of what legendaries should be, but again: Then they should’ve been “journeys” all along and if anet hadn’t had the resources to make them right at launch, then the only possible solution would’ve been to make them a) drops, b) never get them into the game (since I bet it takes quite a bit to create challenging unique stories for 20? weapons) – what would you prefer?

But since we already have precursers/legendaries in game and a lot of you wanted a “journey” this is the best what “you” could get.

Funny thing is, that you end up with a GS instead of a dagger is because of this system where stuff is dropping generally also resulting in you not being able to directly work towards getting it but being forced to just grind stuff to sell to buy what you want.

If in the first place it would be so that you could work directly towards the item you want (like now with the precursor-crafting) then you would not end up with the GS instead of the dagger. You know, you want the dagger and that boss can drop the dagger so you kill that boss. Not the boss that can drop the GS.

I also want to repaid that I like the precursor crafting. I just don’t know if it’s the best we could get.. If it still required grinding gold for items, because you can’t really get those items any other way then it’s not. As it should be so that you can get those items yourself. And that is true for everything in the game imho not only the precursors.

And this here people is the perfect example of a grind you have to kill the same boss over and over and over then pray he drop what ever weapon drop the game have put on him clap just what people dont want mate

Edit
To the guy I quoted is it ok to quote you in every grind topic that gets made?
Its always good to have a handy example to show the complainers what a grind is.

(edited by Linken.6345)

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

oh good god, people like to be spoon-fed everything these days. There’s a reason legendary weapon being called ‘legendary’: it’s rare, it’s worth alot of effort, else they are no different than the starter weapons if everyone has one.
Ok, first you were yelling “it’s too rare, give a way to make one, I’m ENTITLED to a precursor”. Now you got a sure way to make one, now it’s “NOT FUN, TOO HARD!” , give me a break. If you are not willing to do all the work, then you are not deserved to wield one, simple as that. Do me a favor, recite the word “legendary” 1000 times before bed each night and contemplate what it means and then make a demand for your… entitlement.
Regarding the TP, no one forces you to use it. If other people do it the TP way, it’s their problem. You have the free will of doing it the “right” way. Don’t make the fake argument that you are forced to use the TP to make a legendary. If you don’t make a legendary effort, no legendary for you. Stop being a spoiled kid at everything, be glad that there is a SURE way at all that you can obtain one without touching the TP. If you resort to the quick way with the TP, it’s your own free-will and laziness, don’t blame on the game mechanics.

Work.

Recite the word legendary 1000 times to get it through my head.

Is this is a video game or affirmation therapy.

But seriously, some people like it. I’m one who doesn’t. Nor do I feel particularly legendary farming mats, or putting myself through the ringer in content that I don’t care about. I’ve done a lot of grocery shopping in my life and legendaries, to me, feels like grocery shopping. Strangely, grocery shopping itself does not feel remotely legendary to me. It feels like a Friday.

I’ll save you the complex logical arguments and make it simple: Very little about the legendary system feels interesting to me. Even the scavenger hunt design… that was actually really fun, until I hit a part where I had to get some piece from a Dwayna event that virtually nobody runs anymore. Up until that point, I’d been able to use the hints to find most everything on my own. Like a scavenger hunt.

I even ran around the Dwayna area for a while, trying to find an object I could interact with. It was only by giving up and looking up a guide that I realized I needed a frikkin event to get the item. That took the wind right out of my sails.

And it’s not like I couldn’t ask around for help or wait around for the event and watch timers, but nothing about that feels like a scavenger hunt to me. The exploration and discovery part is great. That’s what makes it fun for me. Waiting around for special events does not.

The thing about it is, I want to enjoy the process of getting a legendary. Otherwise, it is barely worth it to me. There are much more productive things I could do in life that give me what I want and are extremely painful in the process. I see no reason to do it to the maximum in a video game.

Been there, done that, in the past. It didn’t fulfill me and I’ve got nothing to show it. At best, it gave me a temporary feeling of confidence in my ability to accomplish painful goals.

News flash: People are different and have different preferences. Shocking, I know.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

To those of you saying this is a “grind”: Its only a “grind” if you make it a grind. Those of us who don’t have issues with the precursor crafting, are grabbing a group of friends, going to a map, and having a blast chaining events together for T6 mats, and gathering along the way.

My point: If you can’t make it fun, then just don’t do it. Its not like some serious requirement in the game, that is a fun-breaking feature.

Go play WoW. They give you epics just for logging in. How fullfilling is that? Did you earn it? Not really. Was it a journey you undertook? Not really. See where i’m getting at with this? LEGENDARIES were made to note the time and effort someone put forth to go out and craft and/or the crazy amount of money they spent in gem to gold transactions, to purchase one outright. Its prestige to have one, so it HAS to have some sort of challenge or time barrier to building it.

I know that reading comprehension is hard, so I’m going to try to spell this out as clearly as possible.

This thread isn’t about people complaining that precursor crafting is challenging. This point is very important, so I’m going to add another paragraph and suggest that you reread this one a few times.

This thread is saying that the “new” system isn’t a “Legendary Journey” at all. It is the same old system, it’s just that the old currency (gold) is disguised as materials.

And this is the last time in this thread that I’m going to try to explain this.

Its a lost point, dependent on point of view. Thus, why you are having issues with getting your point across. “Legendary journey” means what? Did they specifically define it, in great detail? No, they gave vague details. If you are going to point out a fault here, its that ANet did not expressly outline the fine print details of the feature. This is a golden standard for ANet, as they try to avoid discussing paywalls and the such. Is it a BIG, game-shattering issue that is going to make most people quit? Nope.

What i was addressing here, was the fact that people keep calling it a “grind”. Again, this is purely “User perception”. Eating a cake could be a grind. Sleeping for 8 hours could be a grind. Anything, can be a "grind’. However, this is a game, and as such, no one is forcing your hand to play it, and make decisions on doing whatever content. Thus, by calling precursor crafting a grind, it means that you’ve grown a perception of the feature, that is both incorrect, and negative.

Some people called WoW’s LFR a “Grind”, when they could spend 45 minutes into a raid, and get 2-3 epics.

Its all perception, and I, for one, UTTERLY REFUSE to believe the feature is a “grind”.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

Labjax.2465

Its a lost point, dependent on point of view. Thus, why you are having issues with getting your point across. “Legendary journey” means what? Did they specifically define it, in great detail? No, they gave vague details. If you are going to point out a fault here, its that ANet did not expressly outline the fine print details of the feature. This is a golden standard for ANet, as they try to avoid discussing paywalls and the such. Is it a BIG, game-shattering issue that is going to make most people quit? Nope.

What i was addressing here, was the fact that people keep calling it a “grind”. Again, this is purely “User perception”. Eating a cake could be a grind. Sleeping for 8 hours could be a grind. Anything, can be a "grind’. However, this is a game, and as such, no one is forcing your hand to play it, and make decisions on doing whatever content. Thus, by calling precursor crafting a grind, it means that you’ve grown a perception of the feature, that is both incorrect, and negative.

Some people called WoW’s LFR a “Grind”, when they could spend 45 minutes into a raid, and get 2-3 epics.

Its all perception, and I, for one, UTTERLY REFUSE to believe the feature is a “grind”.

If it’s all perception, then it’s ill-advised to call somebody else’s perception “incorrect” and “negative,” since that is just your perception of their perception, put across in a way that sounds like you believe you are speaking fact.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: imsoenthused.1634

imsoenthused.1634

OP was saying that the precursor crafting still forces you to grind in SW essentially. Which is untrue.

It’s only untrue if you value your time less than he does, as it is more efficient to farm the gold and buy the materials, and even more efficient to farm the gold and just by the precursor. Basically the new way is more tedious. They didn’t come up with an interesting replacement for grinding. They just added an option to grind even more for mats instead of gold.

I find it hard to believe that anyone would feel like mindlessly farming thousands of materials following some wiki node guide is in any way less boring and grindy than farming chests in SW. Especially when you’ll be grinding longer doing the collecting than just farming the gold and buying the materials. Basically, all the precursor crafting does is say “Hey, you know those items you want that you can only get reliably by mindlessly grinding out a bunch of gold? How would like to mindlessly grind them out for an even longer amount of time only with materials instead of gold so you can say you didn’t buy it off the TP?”

TL;DR You can only say it doesn’t take gold if you ignore all the ways the time and materials spent could be converted to even more gold instead. Pretending that play time doesn’t have a gold value is ridiculous.

All morons hate it when you call them a moron. – J. D. Salinger

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

The precursor market is a toxic clusterkitten and needs to be lanced like the pus-filled wound in the economy it is.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

You do understand that was an example. I also know it involves more than those charged lodestones. The thing is that there is no resendable / doable way to get those lodestones other than grinding gold.

You also need to buy crystals that cost about 1 gold and you can only buy (I think you could also get them by doing SAB, but not at this moment).

Not sure if there is a decent way to farm Globs of Ectoplasm?

Some of the T6 materials you cannot farm (maybe that got better with HoT, have not tested that yet).

You might also need Unidentified Dyes, but where to farm those? As far as I know they can drop from many places (so will end up on the TP) but there are no real ways to in any reasonable rate farm them.

For those things the only reasonable way to get them is to grind gold and buy them.

Same is true for many items (so the complaint is bigger than legendaries, and some people care more about skins that about stats) in this games, from gem-store items to items you craft yourself. And that is the complaint. It’s not that it’s hard, or that it takes long or that it requires a lot of effort. Those things are to be expected.

The problem is that for many items, grinding gold is a requirement, the only viable / reasonable option. And that is the complaint.

I am also happy with the precursor crafting (It’s for me one of the important elements of HoT, in combination with many difference that should reduce this gold-grind requirement), but if it’s true that there are items required that still require you to grind gold to buy them, the complains about it are also valid.

For someone who has very little knowledge about actually crafting legendary item, u do voice your opinions quite strongly here. I’d generally not reply further cause you seem the type of person to write walls of text without some research, but I would hate that some new player run into this thread and think what u wrote is true.
As someone who crafted 6 legendary weapons so far I can say that big majority of the things you can farm. To name a few:

- charged lodestones ( coe runs)
- t6 mats ( ever heard of troll farm? ever heard of skelk farm? ever heard of laurels?)
- globs? u don’t know how to get globs? by the time u are done with your legendary, u will have enough globs but how would u know that…
- the other guy complaining about 10k ores… guys legendary weapon is not meant to be farmed in a day. Its long term project. It might take 3 or 4 months, or even half year depending how much time u dedicate to it. Its grind and its not for everyone, but so many people whine too much here. Its really long journey and u can craft it however u want. But your legendary journey wont start by whining and camping forum and complaining. Roll up your sleeves, pop those magic find boosters and dig my friends. If u cant do that, cheaper skins are available. Legendary weapons are gonna stay like this and no crying and whining will change that.

I did not do research into the precursor crafting no and even said I did not start that yet just to be clear about that. I also said it’s the subject itself of people not wanting to have to grind gold is more what is why I am interested in this topic. And that I did do my research for.

Unless they recently changed the drop-rate, I DID try (researched) charged lodestones farms. Tried to farm sparks but did not get 1 after 3 hour of killing them (also they disappear based on the event). I also did multiple runs of COE without any charged lodestones.

Not saying they don’t drop there, I know that are places where they drop ‘more’. But if on average you have no drop after multiple runs, and you need 100 / 250 of it then that is not a realistic way of farming them. Especially not when you could brainlessly grind Silverwaste and earn the gold to buy them much faster that way.

So stop saying people don’t do research and then come with a false representation because it looks like you did not do the research yourself.

Or was in your case reading Killthehealersffs comment the research?

Skelk farm? Yes that was a viable option for a short while when they introduced Southsun 2.0 but that got nerfed very fast again making grinding gold a much more reliable option. Laurels is a currency, that is not life from the land. The hole point was here to farm the items directly. Laurels fit the same category as gold.

Did not do the troll farm so cannot say much about that.

I know how to get globs, salvaging rares. I said I don’t know a way to directly farm globs. Even if you use the salvage method that means you need a good way to farm rares. So I know how to get globs but the best way to farm them that I know of, is grinding gold and then buying rares to salvage them.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Devata.6589

You do understand that was an example. I also know it involves more than those charged lodestones. The thing is that there is no resendable / doable way to get those lodestones other than grinding gold.

You can get them through the new map bonus system by doing events in the appropriate map which conveniently also levels your legendary crafting mastery at the same time.

You also need to buy crystals that cost about 1 gold and you can only buy (I think you could also get them by doing SAB, but not at this moment).

What crystals?

The only crystal I am aware of that is related to legendary crafting is the Mystic Crystal and you buy those with Spirit Shards.

World boss train (fractals isn’t bad either). Salvage all the rares.

Some of the T6 materials you cannot farm (maybe that got better with HoT, have not tested that yet).

Same situation as Charged Lodestones. Map bonus system includes these.

You might also need Unidentified Dyes, but where to farm those? As far as I know they can drop from many places (so will end up on the TP) but there are no real ways to in any reasonable rate farm them.

These are a bit tougher. Basically you need to do the same as black lion key farmers and farm the personal story but I don’t think the source of the dyes has a weekly limit(yet?).

I said I was very happy with HoT moving towards the Life of the Land mentality (somehow some people seem to forget that and purely focus on the fact that I say that it’s also holds true that for many things grinding gold is still the only viable option).

Testing the map bonus is high on my to-do list and something I did really look forward to with HoT (and something I praised). So hope you are right and this has now become (the most) viable option.

But your post perfectly displays the point what I am trying to make. HoT was good a step in the right direction, but it’s not there yet.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Devata.6589

Well I also think that it was bad that Legendaries where tradable, when I found that out 3 years ago I was like WTF? Precursors should have a system like now and should indeed also have been account-bound. It just made no sense that they were tradable from a game-play perspective. Luckily Anet eventually came to that same conclusion and made the new ones account-bound. I also agree they cannot now make the first ones account bound as well.

I agree on legendaries and explained the problem with non tradeable precursers – I don’t want a GS, I want a dagger. So I end up filling my bank with stuff I don’t want. I guess that’s why they were tradeable. No idea why legendaries are.

However I disagree that only that part is the problem. That part completely devalues the game-play value of the item, and you solve that by making is account-bound.

Not sure if I got you right, but I tried to explain it above: I’m pretty sure they hadn’t had the resources to make a legendary journey at launch.

The rest of what you wrote is an idealization of what legendaries should be, but again: Then they should’ve been “journeys” all along and if anet hadn’t had the resources to make them right at launch, then the only possible solution would’ve been to make them a) drops, b) never get them into the game (since I bet it takes quite a bit to create challenging unique stories for 20? weapons) – what would you prefer?

But since we already have precursers/legendaries in game and a lot of you wanted a “journey” this is the best what “you” could get.

Funny thing is, that you end up with a GS instead of a dagger is because of this system where stuff is dropping generally also resulting in you not being able to directly work towards getting it but being forced to just grind stuff to sell to buy what you want.

If in the first place it would be so that you could work directly towards the item you want (like now with the precursor-crafting) then you would not end up with the GS instead of the dagger. You know, you want the dagger and that boss can drop the dagger so you kill that boss. Not the boss that can drop the GS.

I also want to repeat that I like the precursor crafting. I just don’t know if it’s the best we could get.. If it still required grinding gold for items, because you can’t really get those items any other way then it’s not. As it should be so that you can get those items yourself. And that is true for everything in the game imho not only the precursors.

And this here people is the perfect example of a grind you have to kill the same boss over and over and over then pray he drop what ever weapon drop the game have put on him clap just what people dont want mate

Edit
To the guy I quoted is it ok to quote you in every grind topic that gets made?
Its always good to have a handy example to show the complainers what a grind is.

Yeah that is farming yes, you are right (as I see it, you grind currency and farm an item). There is however a difference. For weapon 1 you farm dungeon x, for weapon 2 dungeon y for skin 1 boss z. This sends you all over the world doing many different things.

Then the grind-gold.. There are x number of good gold-grind and for everything, you grind those same 5 things. You want some mat you can’t farm? Grind gold, want a special weapon, grind gold, want that skin, grind gold, want that mini? Grind gold.

You are focusing on one item and then say.. well you don’t want to grind, but suggest a farm.. Does not matter if you farm a dungeon or grind gold.

Even then there is a difference because when a boss drops an item the reward it linked to the content and when you grind some currency it’s a number you slowly see going up, while when farming a boss for a rare drop there is always this rush of will it drop now. So even then it’s a difference. But if you then look over multiple items it becomes an even bigger difference where with my version you do many different things while in the gold approach there are a few thing you do for everything.

One if more of a life of the land mentality while the other is more or a work for money to buy mentality.

I have no illusion that an MMORPG will not have a form of repetition. While you should mix this with journey’s like quest chains and guaranteed drops and such. The question is what type of repetition. Killing one boss multiple times to get one item to then move on to another boss, is a big difference than doing a few brainless grind (unrelated to the item you want!) to get everything.

See the difference?

(edited by Devata.6589)

Posted by: Duncanmix.5238

Duncanmix.5238

I did not do research into the precursor crafting no and even said I did not start that yet just to be clear about that. I also said it’s the subject itself of people not wanting to have grind gold is more what is why I am interested in this topic. And that I did do my research for.

And unless they recently changed the drop-rate, I DID try (researched) charged lodestones farms. Tried to farm sparks but did not get 1 after 3 hour of killing them (also they disappear based on the event). I also did multiple runs of COE without any charged lodestones.

Not saying they don’t drop there, I know that are places where they drop ‘more’. But if on average you have no drop after multiple runs, and you need 100 / 250 of it then that is not a realistic way of farming them. Especially not when you could brainlessly grind Silverwaste and earn the gold to buy them much faster that way.

So stop saying people don’t do research and then come with a false representation because it looks like you did not do the research yourself.

Skelk farm? Yes that was a viable option for a short while when they introduced Southsun 2.0 but that got nerfed very fast again making grinding gold a much more reliable option. Laurels is a currency, that is not life from the land. The hole point was here to farm the items directly. Laurels fit the same category as gold.

I know how to get globs, salvaging rares. I said I don’t know a way to directly farm globs. Even if you use the salvage method that means you need a good way to farm rares. So I know how to get globs but the best way to farm them that I know of, is grinding gold and then buying rares to salvage them.

Well you did very poor research job. But again as someone who clearly has much more experience in this then you, let me enlighten you yet again.

Charged lodestones were done through coe run before hot. You would do coe runs which were 10-15 minutes, depending on luck u get some cores or lodestone. But also each run would net u over 1g + bags which also drop lodestones. This was viable way of farming charged lodestones + gold. Now this might not be viable to you, or someone who cant stand dungeons for long time. But I can guarantee you if u did 30 minutes of coe for 2 months each day, you would have your charged lodestones.
After hot, anet introduced new way of obtaining materials. U can go do events on maps which reward charged lodestones. If you click M, you can hover over each map and see prize pool.

Before you could farm t6 mats directly, like I said on skelks/trolls etc… It was viable way. Now all u have to do is find map which reward desired t6 mats. And u gain karma by doing events. Did u know, you need 1m karma for legendary? Well now u do, and u can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Laurels are not gold, what a nonsense. U just have to log daily to get a lot of laurels. In few months u would have many t6 mats just by doing so. There is no grind for gold which u are very against here. Unless you counting login in as grind.

And as for direct farm of globs… U go world bosses runs, get plenty of rares – salvage those and u got it. Champion loot bag hunt was full of rares, any farm involving many bags actually will get u plenty of rares to salvage. But by the time u are done with your legendary, u will simply have so much globs that wont even be problem.

Your problem is, your think your views are some set objective truths.
When you say running multiple coe runs is not realistic, that’s your view. But plenty of people did it, including me. And the truth is, its all subjective.

You might find person who don’t enjoy dungeon runs. So he will have to farm gold for lodesones, or person who hate world bosses, so he will obtain some item other way.
Crafting legendary will require farming many different things, and for most of them, there are ways to do it. Anet wont design legendary based on what u think. They should now come read that u think farming coe is not reasonable, and come up with different activity that will suit Devata. Oh hey guys Devata don’t like t6 farming, lets find what he likes… You are not center of universe. Your views are not objective truth.
When you say coe run is not reasonable, add FOR ME at the end of that phrase and then conclude that farming legendary might not be content designed for you.

Gunnar’s Hold

Devata.6589

I did not do research into the precursor crafting no and even said I did not start that yet just to be clear about that. I also said it’s the subject itself of people not wanting to have grind gold is more what is why I am interested in this topic. And that I did do my research for.

And unless they recently changed the drop-rate, I DID try (researched) charged lodestones farms. Tried to farm sparks but did not get 1 after 3 hour of killing them (also they disappear based on the event). I also did multiple runs of COE without any charged lodestones.

Well you did very poor research job. But again as someone who clearly has much more experience in this then you, let me enlighten you yet again.

Charged lodestones were done through coe run before hot. You would do coe runs which were 10-15 minutes, depending on luck u get some cores or lodestone. But also each run would net u over 1g + bags which also drop lodestones. This was viable way of farming charged lodestones + gold. Now this might not be viable to you, or someone who cant stand dungeons for long time. But I can guarantee you if u did 30 minutes of coe for 2 months each day, you would have your charged lodestones.
After hot, anet introduced new way of obtaining materials. U can go do events on maps which reward charged lodestones. If you click M, you can hover over each map and see prize pool.

Before you could farm t6 mats directly, like I said on skelks/trolls etc… It was viable way. Now all u have to do is find map which reward desired t6 mats. And u gain karma by doing events. Did u know, you need 1m karma for legendary? Well now u do, and u can kill 2 birds with one stone.

Laurels are not gold, what a nonsense. U just have to log daily to get a lot of laurels. In few months u would have many t6 mats just by doing so. There is no grind for gold which u are very against here. Unless you counting login in as grind.

And as for direct farm of globs… U go world bosses runs, get plenty of rares – salvage those and u got it. Champion loot bag hunt was full of rares, any farm involving many bags actually will get u plenty of rares to salvage. But by the time u are done with your legendary, u will simply have so much globs that wont even be problem.

Your problem is, your think your views are some set objective truths.
When you say running multiple coe runs is not realistic, that’s your view. But plenty of people did it, including me. And the truth is, its all subjective.

You might find person who don’t enjoy dungeon runs. So he will have to farm gold for lodesones, or person who hate world bosses, so he will obtain some item other way.
Crafting legendary will require farming many different things, and for most of them, there are ways to do it. Anet wont design legendary based on what u think. They should now come read that u think farming coe is not reasonable, and come up with different activity that will suit Devata. Oh hey guys Devata don’t like t6 farming, lets find what he likes… You are not center of universe. Your views are not objective truth.
When you say coe run is not reasonable, add FOR ME at the end of that phrase and then conclude that farming legendary might not be content designed for you.

Well I did multiple CoE runs without any of those drops. But let’s say you are right that is 30 hours and 26 min just to farm the mats. Where in those hours of grinding you slowly see the number of mats go up (really, those mats have now become a currency and is a boring time of grind) what would make Silverwaste still a little more efficient.

Just see what you say here.. A run takes 10 to 15 min. By doing it daily 30 min (as you suggest) means 2 – 3 runs a day. 2 months is about 61 days. 2,5 * 61 = 152,5 runs. So that is 2 Charged Lodestones for 3 runs?

Sadly my experience is not that I could this drop-rate of lodestones with COF runs. Maybe you mean that you also use the gold you earn to buy the charged lodestones (while the hole point was to prevent gold-grinding) not to mention that you might need some of that to turn charged cores into charged lodestones. That is on average (for 30 min if a run takes 10 to 15 min) 50 silver per day from CoE. So that does also not get us far as the gold we earn with 2 months of CoE buys us 10,5 charged lodestones. Let’s say we sell all the other stuff we get, maybe 15.

Not to mention that this gold (the thing we tried to prevent in the first place) is time-gated. You can keep running Silverwaste to earn gold but you can do the dungeon only once a day for the gold reward (other than the mats).

Anyway, let’s say we take that gold to buy those 15 charged lodestones. Then we need 85 more CoE would still have to drop. So now I would only need 1 charged lodestone to drop every 2 runs.

Still not my experience at all (more like 1 charged core every 2 runs). But even if you are right here, grinding Silverwaste (when going by the 10 gold an hour people seem to get) is a little faster, less effort and not / less time-gated.

So I am sorry, but you did not convince me that this is a viable way to farm them. And that is when I use your drop-rates that are way better then what I have experienced.

I will go test the new option of farming maps by doing events in a map so can’t say much about that yet.

Posted by: gaborkaldy.3210

gaborkaldy.3210

Started to craft Dusk after the unbugged T1…

Well the crafting spend seems mad comparing the buy now option of the precursor on the TP. Dusk was around 1200 G on the TP.

As the current status I dumped 760 G (not on buy now option but not on the ideal / slow way) already and in the middle of T2 where 30 more Deldrimor Ingot is needed. Thats 300 G + countless mithril ingots still needed. And thats just the end of T2.

I start to fear to look into T3 when i GRINDED enough gold for the “legendary journey” that precursor crafting provides.

Probably it is only the Dusk as Legend was reported to be around 700G alltogether (with the same method as I did with Dusk (no wait for time gated mats).
At the same time it makes me thinking why ANET differentiate 2 two-handed precursor craft that way that the Legend not just cost like 500G cheaper to craft but at the same time T1 takes 1 hour running low lvl areas while we all know about Dusk T1.

It’s always Beer Time!
Desolation – [TEU]

(edited by gaborkaldy.3210)

Duncanmix.5238

Well I did multiple CoE runs without any of those drops. But let’s say you are right that is 30 hours and 26 min just to farm the mats. Where in those hours of grinding you slowly see the number of mats go up (really, those mats have now become a currency and is a boring time of grind) what would make Silverwaste still a little more efficient.

Just see what you say here.. A run takes 10 to 15 min. By doing it daily 30 min (as you suggest) means 2 – 3 runs a day. 2 months is about 61 days. 2,5 * 61 = 152,5 runs. So that is 2 Charged Lodestones for 3 runs?

Sadly my experience is not that I could this drop-rate of lodestones with COF runs. Maybe you mean that you also use the gold you earn to buy the charged lodestones (while the hole point was to prevent gold-grinding) not to mention that you might need some of that to turn charged cores into charged lodestones. That is on average (for 30 min if a run takes 10 to 15 min) 50 silver per day from CoE. So that does also not get us far as the gold we earn with 2 months of CoE buys us 10,5 charged lodestones. Let’s say we sell all the other stuff we get, maybe 15.

Not to mention that this gold (the thing we tried to prevent in the first place) is time-gated. You can keep running Silverwaste to earn gold but you can do the dungeon only once a day for the gold reward (other than the mats).

Anyway, let’s say we take that gold to buy those 15 charged lodestones. Then we need 85 more CoE would still have to drop. So now I would only need 1 charged lodestone to drop every 2 runs.

Still not my experience at all (more like 1 charged core every 2 runs). But even if you are right here, grinding Silverwaste (when going by the 10 gold an hour people seem to get) is a little faster, less effort and not / less time-gated.

So I am sorry, but you did not convince me that this is a viable way to farm them. And that is when I use your drop-rates that are way better then what I have experienced.

I will go test the new option of farming maps by doing events in a map so can’t say much about that yet.

Of course I’m counting 1g + cores/lodestone + rest of drops in my coe runs. Would it be better if anet instead of giving u 1g gave you 1 charged core? Wouldn’t that be same? U do coe and u end up with 1 core either way.
Your problem is that u don’t prefer dungeon runs. You don’t like silverwastes. You seem to not like bunch of stuff. And another thing, before hot dungeon runs were fast way to get gold. Silverwaste is not some king of money making. Its up to players to decide how they gonna farm things.
You have goal which is legendary and then u go and get it. Don’t have to be fastest way, don’t have to be most efficient way either. Get it the way u want to play game. Options are out there. U making it sound as if silverwaste is only way, and I didn’t farm that map at all for gold. I don’t really have numbers for silverwaste gold per hour, but I’m sure dungeons are up there, if not better. Well not anymore, but point stays… people who want legendary and are willing to put work will find a way. People who are not willing to put work, well keep your whine coming its entertaining to read.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Ehra.5240

Ehra.5240

And what you people don’t seem to get is that this would still be true even if precursor crafting didn’t involve massing large amounts of crafting materials. Even IF the process instead involved months of completing various “legendary challenges” (we’ll ignore that the forms of ingame PvE content that is actually challenging and can’t be facerolled through zerg surfing is minuscule), as you guys like to say, it would still be more efficient and quicker to just farm Silverwastes at the 10 gold an hour you’re quoting and buy it off the TP. The only way this would cease to be true is if the “legendary journey” was laughably easy/short, if precursors were removed from all drop tables, or if precursor prices on the TP shoot up.

So, as I argued in my previous post, it really comes down to people being upset that the new method isn’t easier/faster than the old method. You’re able to earn the materials through “normal” ingame content, but you dismiss those methods because they aren’t “as efficient” as farming Silverwastes. And I’m still predicting that a large number of people arguing for this supposed “legendary journey” will also be arguing how unfair it is that legendary armor components are earned through raids which they can’t/won’t do for whatever reason.

Devata.6589

Of course I’m counting 1g + cores/lodestone + rest of drops in my coe runs. Would it be better if anet instead of giving u 1g gave you 1 charged core? Wouldn’t that be same? U do coe and u end up with 1 core either way.
Your problem is that u don’t prefer dungeon runs. You don’t like silverwastes. You seem to not like bunch of stuff. And another thing, before hot dungeon runs were fast way to get gold. Silverwaste is not some king of money making. Its up to players to decide how they gonna farm things.
You have goal which is legendary and then u go and get it. Don’t have to be fastest way, don’t have to be most efficient way either. Get it the way u want to play game. Options are out there. U making it sound as if silverwaste is only way, and I didn’t farm that map at all for gold. I don’t really have numbers for silverwaste gold per hour, but I’m sure dungeons are up there, if not better. Well not anymore, but point stays… people who want legendary and are willing to put work will find a way. People who are not willing to put work, well keep your whine coming its entertaining to read.

“Of course I’m counting 1g + cores/lodestone + rest of drops in my coe runs. Would it be better if Anet instead of giving u 1g gave you 1 charged core? Wouldn’t that be same?”

Nope, huge difference. I will keep it general in the example. If there is some specific content that rewards specific items but not (also) overall ‘good’ loot. Then that because the most viable way to get that item.

If items drop from many places, or from places that get farmed for their general good loot, that means you have to lower the drop-rate of the specific items. Because many people grind that for the general good loot what would mean to many of those items end up on the TP. But by lowering those drops while still having general good loot it means working directly for that item becomes harder. This will then result in the fact that you are better off buying it from the TP then farming for it.

A perfect example of this are some of the special World Boss drops. Many people farm the bosses because they have general good loot. Because of this the drop-rate on specific items have to be very low because else the TP would be flooded with those items. Now you still get many people getting it (who are not after it) because it’s farmed by so many and they put in on the TP. But getting it yourself when that is your goal has become harder.. Well as direct drop, buying it becomes the more viable option.

So let’s say somebody wants the Mini Tequatl the Sunless. This is a rare drop from Tequatl the Sunless. Exactly what I want right? Specific drop from specific content. But this is destroyed by the fact that Tequatl drops overall good loot and so people farm it. If anybody was now to ask you how to get the Mini Tequatl, would you suggest him to kill Tequatl. No obviously not. What I read about it, it looks like the drop-rate is about 1/50. So if you would suggest your friend to do that it means he would need an average of 50 kills to get the mini. He might be able to make it to 3 spawns a day. So going full out for that it would might take him on average about 17 days. Let’s say one battle takes 20 min? So about 5,7 hour spread out over 17 days.

Or you send him to Silverwaste, where he grinds for 17 min to get the 2 gold, 72 silver and 31 copper it costs at the TP.

Perfect example of how this works.

So to go back to your question. If we would do it so it dropped 1 core that means directly farming the cores becomes a more viable option then it’s now. With 1 gold instead of 1 core it results in grinding gold (not just by doing that dungeon) because the more viable option and farming directly becomes harder or in some cases even unreasonably hard.

So yes, it’s a huge difference. Now I don’t think mats are something that should the ‘the’ reward for dungeons. That is more something for nodes. But I hope you get the logic.

“Your problem is that u don’t prefer dungeon runs. You don’t like silverwastes. You seem to not like bunch of stuff.” CoE is not one of my favorite dungeon, I like TA Aetherblade better. But it’s nonsense to put it on “you just don’t like those things”. I like almost everything, as long as it has good goals for me. So like “I want X”, ok then “go do Y”. That makes Y much more interesting for me. However because of the way it’s implemented (and I proved by the example above) the way it works is mainly: You want X? Grind some currency. You want Y? Grind some currency. You want Z? Grind some currency. That is what I do not like.

You can say, it does not have to be the most efficient way, but I do think going for something directly should by its nature be the most efficient way. Not doing that means you get punished by going directly for it.. and then there are those things where it’s literally impossible or just not reasonably doable.

Devata.6589

And what you people don’t seem to get is that this would still be true even if precursor crafting didn’t involve massing large amounts of crafting materials. Even IF the process instead involved months of completing various “legendary challenges” (we’ll ignore that the forms of ingame PvE content that is actually challenging and can’t be facerolled through zerg surfing is minuscule), as you guys like to say, it would still be more efficient and quicker to just farm Silverwastes at the 10 gold an hour you’re quoting and buy it off the TP. The only way this would cease to be true is if the “legendary journey” was laughably easy/short, if precursors were removed from all drop tables, or if precursor prices on the TP shoot up.

So, as I argued in my previous post, it really comes down to people being upset that the new method isn’t easier/faster than the old method. You’re able to earn the materials through “normal” ingame content, but you dismiss those methods because they aren’t “as efficient” as farming Silverwastes. And I’m still predicting that a large number of people arguing for this supposed “legendary journey” will also be arguing how unfair it is that legendary armor components are earned through raids which they can’t/won’t do for whatever reason.

“as you guys like to say, it would still be more efficient and quicker to just farm Silverwastes
-
the only way this would cease to be true is if the “legendary journey” was laughably easy/short, if precursors were removed from all drop tables, or if precursor prices on the TP shoot up.”

No you clearly don’t get it, It’s true that the fact that the journey should be a more efficient way then grinding gold is part of the complaint.. but it has nothing to do with the journey being too long or too hard.

Let’s take some of these things out of the equation to show that.

First of all, let’s say they are not tradable anymore (like the new ones). However for many of the mats you need for them, it’s still true that you are basically getting forced, or pushed towards grinding gold because that is the most profitable or viable option to get those mats? Well then the complaint would still be there.

But now let’s say getting those mats would be just as viable as grinding gold, and not only that but you cannot even get those mats with gold.

In this scenario the journey would still be just as long and just as hard. But these complains would be gone (sure some people might want is easy, but that’s not what people talk about here).

So it’s not at all related to the length of the journey by itself, it however is related to being pushed to grind gold or grinding gold being at least the most viable option.

That is a big difference.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

And this is the last time in this thread that I’m going to try to explain this.

Yes you can buy some of the materials for gold. Like Deldrimor Ingots and the random lodestones and doubloons. Or you can go in search of those items as drops.

“Legendary Journey” is marketing speak. How would anyone define what “Legendary” meant anyway. It’s subjective. The only thing that was truly promised, that everyone wanted, was a way to get precursors that didn’t involve RNG and that didn’t force you to spend 1000g+ on the TP.

I’ve looked at the requirements for making Spark. There’s nothing on that list that someone couldn’t get on their own. Sure, buying it on the TP is easier and faster, but not a requirement. If someone wanted to make a checklist and go out on a scavenger hunt to get copper doubloons, or a lodestone, or mithril for the deldrimor, they can. There’s nothing stopping them. And the materials requirements are low. 1 of each lodestone? That’s easy. 9 copper doubloons? Easy. 15 deldrimor ingots? Gated, but easy.

It’s a shame that OP’s image of a “legendary journey” did not match up with the marketing hype, but that wasn’t the point of the precursor crafting. It was to address the obvious issue of being able to gather everything you need for a legendary reliably except for a precursor. Now you can get that reliably, no TP needed, unless you want to shortcut. So really, what’s the problem?

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

snip

A tipp: If you want to quote someone press the reply button. Then you will see
[qu ote = some number; name of who you are quoting ] and at the end [/ quote ] that means that’s the end of what you’re quoting.
So if you want to refer to single parts of a whole text, snip it by copy and paste the first bracket part with the name and putting the end quote at the end of each part you want to refer to – far easier to read than with quotation marks.

MiniEquine.6014

Spear – 100G on TP
Focus – 130G on TP
Torch – 213G on TP
Mace – 279G on TP
Pistol – 296G on TP
Warhorn – 350G on TP
Scepter – 399G on TP

The costs to craft the precursors are tiered. Underwater weapons all cost one amount. Single handed weapons cost another. Offhand weapons cost another. You’re not going to pay roughly the same amount crafting the underwater precursors as you would for something like The Legend.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3q5yf7/crafted_precursor_the_legend_through_collection/cwclfp9

I understand this completely, but it’s exactly why I listed the precursors and their costs like I did. Even factoring in the reduced cost for one-handed and underwater weapons it still costs considerably more to craft them than to buy them outright.

There is a chance that it also costs considerably more for some of the two-handed weapons too, but we’ll see what that ends up being when more comprehensive lists start popping up.

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

I understand this completely, but it’s exactly why I listed the precursors and their costs like I did. Even factoring in the reduced cost for one-handed and underwater weapons it still costs considerably more to craft them than to buy them outright.

There is a chance that it also costs considerably more for some of the two-handed weapons too, but we’ll see what that ends up being when more comprehensive lists start popping up.

It’s not that hard to understand, is it?
Precurser prices dropped once HoT was announced – significantly. Then they slowly rose again and I think shortly before HoT they dropped again. The precursers you see on the TP have been very likely there for quite some time and getting them out costs a bit. So in a few months the precursers on the TP will be as expensive as the journey is.

ETA: Apart from underwater weapons probably as there’s only a few who are insane enough to craft the legendaries (like me).

(edited by Jana.6831)

Duncanmix.5238

snip

First… 1 core = 1g… and the thing they give u 1g sure as reward is one of best things that happened. So that people like you, who hate coe don’t actually have to go coe to get core, instead u can get 1g in TA and buy core needed.
But Devata wants that things are farmed at specifics spots, which are preferably by his taste. Again arrogance is big this one. You are not center of universe. There’s bunch of content I don’t prefer and its giving rewards that I don’t need. Yea then universal currency called gold is great. I can go get gold from place that I actually enjoy. Nothing wrong with that. But Devata wants to farm specific mats directly, not gold (which is pure nonsense) and that spot must be to his taste. It cant be COE, it cant be silverwaste, and who knows what else this Devata don’t like. So anet go rush, redo all content to needs of one Devata. U see what nonsense u are asking?
There are million players, each with different needs, tastes. Of course farming gold is not changeable. We cant pidgeon hole farming things to specific like u want. Be happy that everything reward gold. That means u can do whatever u want, and buy whatever u need. And in the end, if u want, u can go farm it directly if it suits you. But having option to get items for gold, that’s one of the best things here.

Second… your example of tequtl is just stupid. Chances of mini teq dropping are lower then charged core. It just show how u have no idea how often charged cores are dropped.
I can argue with you forever on this, you are just lazy person who loves to whine instead of working towards his goals. I’m waiting for your more replies, bring it on.

Gunnar’s Hold

Devata.6589

snip

First… 1 core = 1g… and the thing they give u 1g sure as reward is one of best things that happened. So that people like you, who hate coe don’t actually have to go coe to get core, instead u can get 1g in TA and buy core needed.
But Devata wants that things are farmed at specifics spots, which are preferably by his taste. Again arrogance is big this one. You are not center of universe. There’s bunch of content I don’t prefer and its giving rewards that I don’t need. Yea then universal currency called gold is great. I can go get gold from place that I actually enjoy. Nothing wrong with that. But Devata wants to farm specific mats directly, not gold (which is pure nonsense) and that spot must be to his taste. It cant be COE, it cant be silverwaste, and who knows what else this Devata don’t like. So anet go rush, redo all content to needs of one Devata. U see what nonsense u are asking?
There are million players, each with different needs, tastes. Of course farming gold is not changeable. We cant pidgeon hole farming things to specific like u want. Be happy that everything reward gold. That means u can do whatever u want, and buy whatever u need. And in the end, if u want, u can go farm it directly if it suits you. But having option to get items for gold, that’s one of the best things here.

Second… your example of tequtl is just stupid. Chances of mini teq dropping are lower then charged core. It just show how u have no idea how often charged cores are dropped.
I can argue with you forever on this, you are just lazy person who loves to whine instead of working towards his goals. I’m waiting for your more replies, bring it on.

“First… 1 core = 1g… and the thing they give u 1g sure as reward is one of best things that happened. So that people like you, who hate coe don’t actually have to go coe to get core, instead u can get 1g in TA and buy core needed.“
What has the negative effect I did show with the Tequatl example.

“But Devata wants that things are farmed at specifics spots” Yes “which are preferably by his taste.” Never said that. No they do not all have to be dropped from content I like.

Trying to proof your point by commenting on something that I did not say only disproof’s your point.

“Again arrogance is big this one.” Wanting items to drop from specific places is then just as arrogant as wanting it to drop from specific places. What I want frustrates those who prefer to just grind gold to buy it. While wanting it to not being this ways frustrates those who want to farm in specific spots (as that becomes harder) and those that like the game-play value of an item.

“You are not center of universe.” What would only be relevant if the “which are preferably by his taste.” Is something I did in fact say. Only it wasn’t.

“There’s bunch of content I don’t prefer and its giving rewards that I do (edit) need. Yea then universal currency called gold is great. I can go get gold from place that I actually enjoy.” If getting the items by grinding gold is something you like and you don’t care about the game-play value for that item. So it’s good because this is something you like… What was that about arrogance again?

“Nothing wrong with that.” Because that is how Duncanmix likes it.

“. But Devata wants to farm specific mats directly, not gold (which is pure nonsense)” Pure nonsense because that is how Duncanmix likes it.

“and that spot must be to his taste.” Something that is false and nothing I did say.

“It cant be COE” something I did not say.

“it cant be silverwaste,” something I did not say.

“and who knows what else this Devata don’t like.” something I did not say.

“There are million players, each with different needs, tastes.” However looking at those that like to go for mats directly and like the game-play value of items should be ignored?

You know what. If you have anything to say about what I actually said let me know. ?

Also the fact that the best you can come up with about the teq example is that it’s “stupid” says enough.

Posted by: AehAZE.1867

AehAZE.1867

I too ran into this last night. And im one of the poor people so my only option is waiting 30 days to craft a ingot every day. Talk about an immediate buzzkill.

I think it made me more upset to see the cost of crafting the first tier than waiting for loana to get fixed. Can only imagine what the later tiers are going to cost

Duncanmix.5238

snip

First you should learn to use forum properly, not only your quoting is bad but its clogging up half of page.

Second, about tequatl, I did explain why its stupid. Its you who has no ability to understand it. U compare tequatl with charged lodestones which is ridiculous. One obviously has way less drop % and is not something u need to farm. Buying mini teq for gold is ok, so is buying charged lodestones/cores but its also reasonable to farm charged cores but is not reasonable to farm mini tequatl. What u saying is nonsense because u claim that farming cores is not reasonable, that’s simply not true. U are one lazy individual who don’t want to invest time into farming, and come here to whine cause of crazy amount of mats needed to get legendary.
Since u don’t have decent arguments, u took extremely silly argument that only way to farm things is silverwastes and that its so much better compared to alternatives, that other ways are not realistic ( this is not truth). As someone who has farmed in many ways including charged cores in coe , and as someone who made 6 legendary weapons, I came here to explain to everyone who have doubts.
Farming gold and trading it for mats is viable.
Farming mats needed is viable and realistic in big majority of things.
I’ve done all that. Bring more of whine, I’ll be ready whenever.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

You can get them through the new map bonus system by doing events in the appropriate map which conveniently also levels your legendary crafting mastery at the same time.

What crystals?

The only crystal I am aware of that is related to legendary crafting is the Mystic Crystal and you buy those with Spirit Shards.

World boss train (fractals isn’t bad either). Salvage all the rares.

Same situation as Charged Lodestones. Map bonus system includes these.

These are a bit tougher. Basically you need to do the same as black lion key farmers and farm the personal story but I don’t think the source of the dyes has a weekly limit(yet?).

I said I was very happy with HoT moving towards the Life of the Land mentality (somehow some people seem to forget that and purely focus on the fact that I say that it’s also holds true that for many things grinding gold is still the only viable option).

Testing the map bonus is high on my to-do list and something I did really look forward to with HoT (and something I praised). So hope you are right and this has now become (the most) viable option.

But your post perfectly displays the point what I am trying to make. HoT was good a step in the right direction, but it’s not there yet.

Well on the other end of this is … Armored Scales. Those are in Southsun Cove currently and trying to get them from doing events in Southsun Cove is definitely not worth it.

Posted by: Superfrick.1536

Superfrick.1536

And here lies the dilemma with Legendary item crafting: It’s such a long, tiring, grindy experience, so much so that it’s off-putting.

This is why I’m going to save money and outright buy Eternity (or any other Legendary/Precursor/Hard-to-get item for that matter) off the TP.

“But then it won’t feel like an adventure, and the hard work, and yadda, yadda, yadda…”

Oh, there’ll be hard work. In the form of my job and having the paychecks roll in. It’s a goal I have, and I’ll work for it. Simple.

Why all this? Cause one thing is a month or two of reasonable, yet understandably challenging tasks, and another is several months/upwards of a year of excruciating grinding and time-consumption. If I had the time to play GW2 all day, then I probably would’ve taken on the challenge, but I don’t.

I’m not asking for a Legendary/(insert rare item here) today. But I don’t want it five months from now, either.

When does waiting becomes waiting for too long? That’s the question. There’s a boundary where the whole experience becomes off-putting. If players do not enjoy something, or rather, if an activity does not provide pleasure, then people will simply shy away from it. I’m not asking for 100% enjoyment, but rather 70% or 60%. What’s sad is that the percentage is far, far lower than that.

OMG So much this. +1000

(edited by Superfrick.1536)

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Spear – 100G on TP
Focus – 130G on TP
Torch – 213G on TP
Mace – 279G on TP
Pistol – 296G on TP
Warhorn – 350G on TP
Scepter – 399G on TP

Have you actually gone through the collections and calculated it out or are you just making an assumption?

Superfrick.1536

I’ve not finished a collection yet, but from the sound of it, it’s more like “here’s a scavenger hunt (the crust of the pie) and beneath that crust… voila! More of the stuff you said you didn’t want.”

Yep. I wish I hadn’t spent mastery points on the first two lines before discovering this. Now not only do I have an aborted attempt at a Precursor craft, I also get to bear the weight of having less Mastery Points to work with.

Labjax.2465

I’ve not finished a collection yet, but from the sound of it, it’s more like “here’s a scavenger hunt (the crust of the pie) and beneath that crust… voila! More of the stuff you said you didn’t want.”

Yep. I wish I hadn’t spent mastery points on the first two lines before discovering this. Now not only do I have an aborted attempt at a Precursor craft, I also get to bear the weight of having less Mastery Points to work with.

Sorry to hear that.

I’m glad I read this though. This and everything else I’ve seen so far is making me realize it’d be a waste to spend points on the second tier. I was originally going to unlock the tiers slowly over time, but I think I’m going to focus on the commander line instead. Get the mentor tag and all that.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: Paradox.1380

Paradox.1380

Precursor crafting was suppose to be the way a player can bypass the RNG to acquire a precursor. That’s it. It did drop the price of Zap on the TP by 15% but since they are account bound there is will be no uptick in supply from crafting, just fear that demand will drop if players can acquire it via other means.

The price of that however is governed by the price of the materials needed and a sudden shift in demand will raise those prices as everyone rushes for the same limited supply of raw materials.

Just a note after crafting my precursor through the collection method: It is NOT bound. You can sell it on the TP. The crafting processes were meant to keep it in line and not devalue the items. That is why there is little to no change int eh precursor markets. Only the new Precursors and Legendaries that come in November will be totally bound.

-It’s Lady Paradox- Sweet Adrenaline
“What Part Of Living Says You Gotta Die?
I Plan On Burnin Through Another 9 Lives”

MiniEquine.6014

Spear – 100G on TP
Focus – 130G on TP
Torch – 213G on TP
Mace – 279G on TP
Pistol – 296G on TP
Warhorn – 350G on TP
Scepter – 399G on TP

Have you actually gone through the collections and calculated it out or are you just making an assumption?

I haven’t gone through all of them, no. However, the cost for mainhand weapons (from what people have posted thus far) come out to around 400G in total required materials between the ascended ingots/planks/leather and other materials.

It would then be logical to assume that all mainhand weapons cost similarly, and anything below 400G fits the description. I am not claiming to know anything beyond what I posted (including underwater weapons but I have a suspicion that the materials for the spear will cost much more than 100G), but I am also not the first person to confirm these price disparities.

EDIT: It would appear that crafting Spark, the dagger precursor, requires no fewer than 60 Deldrimor Steel Ingots. This amounts to somewhere between 470G and 630G for the Ingots alone depending on buy/sell and market prices. Crafting Spark happens to be worth it, but if the Mace requires 60 ascended materials too, and the precursor only sells for ~275G, then it will not be reasonable to craft it as opposed to buying it. Many of those other weapons I listed do fit that category.

(edited by MiniEquine.6014)

Posted by: Awko.9201

Awko.9201

The so called legendary journey turned out to be a grinding journey. With the inflated prices of the ascended materials i guess its more profitable to sell part of them and buy the precursor directly from the TP.

Posted by: Manasa Devi.7958

Manasa Devi.7958

My main problem are the vast amounts of time-gated ascended materials these things require.

There’s no way in hell I’m going to sit through months of forging those myself, one ingot each day. Well, actually, I’m already doing that, whenever I can, but I spend them on ascended stuff for my many characters. Since I spend the time-gated materials whenever I have enough to craft something, I have very few of them stocked up, and I don’t want to stop equipping characters for over 3 months.

Having clearly established that I’d have to buy loads and loads of stuff on the TP if I want to craft a precursor, because gathering all of it myself would grossly impact how I want to play, I abandoned the whole thing and instead of buying loads and loads of materials, I just bought the precursor ready-made, if only to cut down on the time spent in the TP interface. Why place hundreds of orders if placing one nets me the same result?

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

There are more points available than things to spend it on.

Labjax.2465

Some of them are a pain to get though, depending on what you completed prior to HoT. Some of are even bugged, from what I am told.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: slamfunction.7462

slamfunction.7462

If you really look at the precursor crafting, and look back to before they announced precursor crafting, you’ll notice that the precursors were all selling well above 500g, aside from the underwater weapons, and some of the less desirable off hand weapons that no one uses. More to the point: They were selling for around the same amount, in materials, that it roughly costs to do precursor crafting.

Now, whether the price has dropped or raised since, is of no consequence. They basically “took” the RNG out of the equation, but made sure that the value was the same, prior to the announcement.

Granted, its not a ‘legendary adventure’ they had advertised it to be, but to be honest, who doesn’t false advertise these days? And without there being substantial proof of this or that, it’ll never hold up in a court of law. Can you say, with a straight face, that you are suing a video game company for not making the task of creating an in-game item, the same as was advertised? lol

If you haven’t caught on to how ANet plays this game: Everything is driven by the cash to gem conversion. This is why 90% of gathering materials are not “bind on account”. So, you either gotta expect less and be astonished at the little things, or just stick out until someone does it better (which, they will).

Until that point though, i want to ENJOY what is here, and not look at it like a grind, or some massive involvement of gems to gold.

Arena Nets are used to catch Gladiator Fish.

(edited by slamfunction.7462)

Superfrick.1536

Some of them are a pain to get though, depending on what you completed prior to HoT. Some of are even bugged, from what I am told.

Yup! Some of them just aren’t awarding. If I didn’t go the Legendary route, I would have had exact change to complete Pact Leader & Fractals.

Superfrick.1536

The devs were exceedingly vague about it for a while. And during that period several of us bought into the lie. Heck originally the whole thing was supposed to be account-bound. And it was only later revealed that the /new/ ones were account bound.

Posted by: nobleroar.2078

nobleroar.2078

I just find it funny that Anet decides to develop for the 1st gen precursor crafting to address the player’s demand for a non-rng way of procuring a precursor. There is already a method and it is call the TP. Making the process to have almost the same value as the TP is pretty much defeating the purpose itself.

Jade Quarry
Mesmer | Night

Linken.6345

The devs were exceedingly vague about it for a while. And during that period several of us bought into the lie. Heck originally the whole thing was supposed to be account-bound. And it was only later revealed that the /new/ ones were account bound.

They always said the new ones were account bound and never said anything about the old ones being that aswell so were is the lie?

Linken.6345

I just find it funny that Anet decides to develop for the 1st gen precursor crafting to address the player’s demand for a non-rng way of procuring a precursor. There is already a method and it is call the TP. Making the process to have almost the same value as the TP is pretty much defeating the purpose itself.

becouse precursors can now be crafted havent the gold to get said precursors gone down abit?

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

SO we’re left in the following position. A: Do the collection and spend just as much money doing it as buying the item off the TP. Or B: skip the hoops and just buy it off the TP.

Which goes back to my title: I don’t get it. What’s the point of the precursor crafting when the over whelming majority of it is spending time on the TP? I might as well just buy the pre and enjoy it immediately rather then suffer through the collection which is the same cost any ways.

I realize the argument of “Oh well just go run around lower level zones and mine 15k iron and 10 platinum you don’t have to deal with the TP!” Ignoring how egregious those numbers are, why not just … SELL the items on the TP at that point instead of stocking up 15k of any ore which you probably don’t even have the bank space for in the first place? At which point it goes back to the original argument…. Why not do content you want to do IE the maguuma jungle, and sell items from it for gold to buy the precursor?

You’ve basically answered your own thread question. Precursor crafting was an alternative way to obtain Precursors. It wasn’t meant to be easier or cheaper. In fact, the Devs confirmed that they purposely balanced the cost of crafting a Precursors to around what the value is on the TP. If you value your time more than anything, then purchasing a Precursor from one of us is the faster way to go. If you want to save money, and have the time to farm mats, then mining nodes yourself (or simply playing the game) is the way to go.

You can play the game any way you choose. But if you do choose to buy a Precursor from the TP, do note that the player you purchased it from thanks you very much.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Bob F It.5701

Bob F It.5701

becouse precursors can now be crafted havent the gold to get said precursors gone down abit?

https://www.gw2tp.com/item/29185-dusk
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/29169-dawn
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/29175-the-hunter
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/29170-the-colossus
https://www.gw2tp.com/item/29180-the-legend

Not really.

It would appear that the crafting of precursors was designed to be about the same cost in materials’ price in gold, just so that the prices on the TP wouldn’t be compromised.

Right click your GW2 shortcut > “Properties”
“Shortcut” tab > “Target”
Add to the end " -bmp"

Posted by: Blix xxx.5298

Blix xxx.5298

This precursor method is amazing. Love the collection part. In case for not spending money u can gather all the mats , and time gated for the poor ppl