Profanity/hateful speech reaching new peaks

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Inoki.6048

Inoki.6048

People being abusive in games isn’t something new, but should be a thing of the past. The time when ANet started to pay more attention to this issue was yesterday. The level of abusive behaviour in the game has reached greater magnitudes as I’ve witnessed in the last few days, especially in PVP, obviously because people think they can get away with whatever vulgar attitude.

As a paying customer I did not pay for a hostile (in-game) environment, often crowded with immature individuals.

While there is a profanity filter option in settings, many have it disabled simply because they don’t mind the occasional f* words, but the level of cussing some people demonstrate is getting out of control and requires heavy moderation.

What I propose:

1st violation: written warning
2nd violation: complete suspension of the account (based on proof)

Harsh? Not compared to how some treat others. It’s time to teach people some manners, and what better way than having them pay for their behaviour.

(edited by Inoki.6048)

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Block and report.

Good luck.

Posted by: Eight Samurai.6840

Eight Samurai.6840

Block and report.

Good luck.

What he said. Block, and if you think it’s THAT bad report, and set your filter if you can’t handle some words. My guild would be perma-banned if Anet was as harsh as you want them to be lol…

Posted by: blazinfury.8504

blazinfury.8504

There is a filter for a reason. Use it. While I’m not condoning vulgar language, it will come up. Expecially in pvp. Swinging the ban hammer for language will get a lot of people banned, myself included, very fast.

Inoki.6048

Block and report.

Good luck.

What he said. Block, and if you think it’s THAT bad report, and set your filter if you can’t handle some words. My guild would be perma-banned if Anet was as harsh as you want them to be lol…

That button seems to be out of order. I have never heard of a single instance when someone got punished for their behaviour.

If people don’t know how to behave, then it’s time for them to learn. Some are old enough to know what it means to keep their frustration at bay.

Or is this game only for bullies without jobs?

Inoki.6048

There is a filter for a reason. Use it. While I’m not condoning vulgar language, it will come up. Expecially in pvp. Swinging the ban hammer for language will get a lot of people banned, myself included, very fast.

And whose fault will that be?

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Then, you probably don’t frequent the Account Issues sub-forum.

Again, block and report. The CS Team will do the rest.

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

As others have said: just turn on the profanity filter and block + report anyone who subverts it. These systems are already in the game and already do a sufficient job of handling sass.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: Notsoperky.2348

Notsoperky.2348

You have heard of the ‘block’ option?

If crude language isn’t your thing, then make use of it. There are always ‘rude’ or ‘abusive’ people in all walks of life- much of which depends on your definition of what you personally find rude or abusive.

The proposal you make is out of all proportion to the ‘offence’.

Your opinion of ‘manners’ might not be the same as mine. For instance, some will be happy to hold a door open for a lady while some ladies would be offended by it and consider it deeply sexist.

Use the filter, use the block setting and don’t expect shrinking violets to be playing in a very competitive environment where maybe being able to wind up the opponent by the use of language gives an advantage.

By all means report extreme examples (not that anything will happen) if you feel personally offended by remarks made in the heat of battle or in a competitive environment where they might well be designed to rile you so you play worse.

At the end of the day they are just words on a screen. Don’t take them to heart- it’s much worse being yelled at in person or over TS than any amount of words typed out.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Block and report.

They do suspend for language, as the outraged threads in the Support forum show from people who were suspended for language and can’t believe they were so badly treated. They will even ban for language, if it continues and the person gets enough suspensions (thread where people pled for re-instatement of a person banned for language).

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

As a paying customer I did not pay for a hostile environment overfilled with immature dorks.

While there is a profanity filter option in settings, many have it disabled simply because they don’t mind the occasional f* words, but the level of cussing some people demonstrate is getting out of control and requires heavy moderation.

Turns off profanity filter… complains about seeing profanity! Will wonders never cease?!

Also you have insulted us by calling immature dorks which is strike one for you buddy. You should be infracted for your insulting attitude.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

The filter is not there to give you carte blanche to swear as much as you want.

It’s there so I don’t have to see it between you using it and you getting suspended for using it.

If suspending for language would get you suspended, stop, grow up just a little bit and control yourself.
And if you feel you need profanity to feel like an adult you have serious maturity issues.

You agreed to certain ToS, if you then refuse to keep up your end of the bargain it is not in any way unreasonable to suspend or ban you.
Nothing to do with people being overly sensitive, but only the standards of behavior you agreed to follow.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Miserymachine.7512

Miserymachine.7512

Or just quit being so easily offended.

Inoki.6048

It’s there so I don’t have to see it between you using it and you getting suspended for using it.

If suspending for language would get you suspended, stop, grow up just a little bit and control yourself.
And if you feel you need profanity to feel like an adult you have serious maturity issues.

You agreed to certain ToS, if you then refuse to keep up your end of the bargain it is not in any way unreasonable to suspend or ban you.
Nothing to do with people being overly sensitive, but only the standards of behavior you agreed to follow.

Very well said.

Posted by: Fatalyz.7168

Fatalyz.7168

Or you know, you could stop giving WORDS power over you. If you find them offensive and bothersome, then you have given them power over you, and given them the ability to control you and your feelings emotions.

Grow up and learn to live and let live. If you find some one offensive, block and report.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Sadly, there is a lot of salty behavior and hurt feelings in certain areas of the game: especially PvP.

I deal with that nonsense every day, and I can tell you it isn’t going away as much as I would like it to as well.

Buck up, block, and move on.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Koru.8574

Koru.8574

People being abusive in games isn’t something new, but should be a thing of the past. The time when ANet started to pay more attention to this issue was yesterday. The level of abusive behaviour in the game has reached greater magnitudes as I’ve witnessed in the last few days, especially in PVP, obviously because people think they can get away with whatever vulgar attitude.

As a paying customer I did not pay for a hostile environment overfilled with immature dorks.

What I propose:

1st violation: written warning
2nd violation: complete suspension of the account (based on proof)

Harsh? Not compared to how some treat others. It’s time to teach people some manners, and what better way than having them pay for their behaviour.

…as a paying customer
nonononnonono u already paid
2nd words cant hurt you
3rd man up

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Echoing for truth. The conversation’s come up before, and Gaile’s confirmed it there. Just because there’s a filter, it doesn’t give open license to be a kittenface kittenbag with a kitten up your kitten.

Snark aside, OP, I recommend report and block. Unfortunately, report does not auto-block, so you must do the two separately. Also, infractions take time, and may be ruled as warnings or non-offense.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Sephas.8793

Sephas.8793

It must be because I don’t do much PvP, but I rarely see profanity in game.

The one thing that I report for is emote spam. When someone fills your whole chat window with emotes, I report and block.

Inoki.6048

Or just quit being so easily offended.

It’s not about being offended for a simple f* word. What I’m talking about goes beyond profanity filters, where people realise they could be censored, so they compose insults in ways to bypass and because they enjoy it, like masochists.

Posted by: Miku.6297

Miku.6297

Why not just block and or report them? Solves your issue with seeing it, and if it’s a constant thing with that player it will be taken care of.

Posted by: Jahroots.6791

Jahroots.6791

I can get behind suspension for repeatedly using abusive and hateful language, which is not necessarily limited to profanity. Everyday profane and vulgar language is fine. We’re pretty much all adults here, after all.

Posted by: Hybrid.7059

Hybrid.7059

This thread is quite offensive to me and is adding to the hostile environment. Why are you calling me an immature dork? Is OP perhaps one of the bullies??

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

Since so many are so dead set against seeing any “swears”, I’ll stop using profanity when people can explain why profanity is bad.

So far nobody has ever been able to give me a good reason. It’s always “they just are!” and “iI’m offended because i was taught to be offended!”.

Think about it, and maybe you’ll realize profanity isn’t even worth discussing. Not talking about directed and targeted abuse here either, but the words themselves.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

(edited by vespers.1759)

Inoki.6048

This thread is quite offensive to me and is adding to the hostile environment. Why are you calling me an immature dork? Is OP perhaps one of the bullies??

Edited, for the lack of understanding of some, while it was blunt obvious what I was referring to, I made it very clear this time.

Posted by: Drox.4562

Drox.4562

2nd violation your account is prema ban for just vulgar language? That’s stupid, not even the worse gaming companies would go that far. At the very least maybe a chat ban, banning someone’s full account just for hurting your feelings a little is just silly. If it was more harassment then I could see the reasoning but not just vulgar language.

Inoki.6048

Since so many are so dead set against seeing any “swears”, I’ll stop using profanity when people can explain why profanity is bad.

So far nobody has ever been able to give me a good reason. It’s always “they just are!” and “iI’m offended because i was taught to be offended!”.

Think about it, and maybe you’ll realize profanity isn’t even worth discussing. Not talking about directed and targeted abuse here either, but the words themselves.

Because, as human beings we are naturally emotional (some more, some less, some not at all it seems) and we use words to communicate and express how and what we feel, or what we want (to achieve) et al.

If the words used are intended for hurtful or otherwise demeaning purposes they shouldn’t be tolerated. It’s the same as using verbal insults against ones race, gender, orientation, religion, you name it – that too, though just verbal, is often used as a weapon.

I think quite a few individuals could use a lecture in psychology, to learn about how things work in life. Most think that “just getting over it” will do. Tell that to a person suffering from severe depression, for example.

(edited by Inoki.6048)

Miku.6297

@drox,

Unsure if the OP means a perma ban or simply a suspension. Either way I agree that’s a little much for just general vulgar language. If it’s directed harassment then it’s a different story.

I really don’t understand why the OP doesn’t simply just block someone they are offended by.

Inoki, why is the current simply block and if you feel it was going way over the line report system not good enough?

Sephas.8793

I really don’t understand why the OP doesn’t simply just block someone they are offended by.

This

Inoki.6048

Inoki, why is the current simply block and if you feel it was going way over the line report system not good enough?

Because I’m not sure it’s even working (the report button). At least I don’t see any weakening of verbal abuse in the game.

Just try it, spend a few days in PVP. Kindergarden would be a nice way of calling it, but it’s far from that. People simply don’t know how to control themselves.

Just as people ask me what’s preventing me from using the report button, I’m asking those verbally abusing others: why can’t you keep it to yourself?

Miku.6297

Because I’m not sure it’s even working (the report button). At least I don’t see any weakening of verbal abuse in the game.

Just try it, spend a few days in PVP. Kindergarden would be a nice way of calling it, but it’s far from that. People simply don’t know how to control themselves.

Just as people ask me what’s preventing me from using the report button, I’m asking those verbally abusing others: why can’t you keep it to yourself?

Just because you don’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening. Very few CS teams for games like this disclose the final results of a report to the reporter. This is no different.

I agree the HoTM can get a bit crude at times, however I also find it interesting you are talking about “verbal abuse” yet you are degrading and insult players in the PVP lobby with your word choice. Maybe lead by example?

As far as keeping it to themselves; because in a game setting like this the only thing you can fully control is yourself. If you don’t like what they are saying, simply block them. Remember everyone has different tolerance levels, so what you find over the top another player might not. So the best option is to give players control over what/whos text they see, and not over what others can say in general.

I didn’t ask you what was preventing you from pushing it, I asked why not just /block and report if you feel it’s warranted.

Just a flesh wound.3589

The game has different sections. When you say no weakening of verbal abuse in game, do you mean PvE (where I rarely see abusive language) or PvP?

It’s possible that PvE and PvP are held to somewhat different standards. It’s well know that across all games that PvP will have more people being insulting, probably because of the competitive nature of it. The line to be crossed for suspensions might be higher there.

ANet may give it to you.

Inoki.6048

The game has different sections. When you say no weakening of verbal abuse in game, do you mean PvE (where I rarely see abusive language) or PvP?

It’s possible that PvE and PvP are held to somewhat different standards. It’s well know that across all games that PvP will have more people being insulting, probably because of the competitive nature of it. The line to be crossed for suspensions might be higher there.

No, I meant mainly PVP. People cursing at NPCs makes no sense, does it. In PVE it’s very rare, thankfully.

Posted by: Andraus.3874

Andraus.3874

OP you can’t control others behaviors. You can only control your own including your reaction to their behaviors. So block them and report to be done with it.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

That button seems to be out of order. I have never heard of a single instance when someone got punished for their behaviour.

The reason you don’t hear about it is that ANet keeps such actions very private. Unless the person punished comes on the forums to complain about an unjust sanction, that is, at which point the devs tend to puncture the pretensions with a vengeance.

If someone’s just being vulgar and it goes beyond what you find acceptable, block and report. If they are specifically harassing you with targeted comments, block, report, and perhaps add in a ticket to be sure the report is heard. ANet will never tell you that action was taken, however, and if you see the same person continuing their behavior either it hasn’t yet been sanctioned but will be, has been sanctioned and when their time out was done they hadn’t learned their lesson and may get a harder slap next time, or the behavior wasn’t actionable even if it triggered your own personal irritation threshold.

Just a flesh wound.3589

No, I meant mainly PVP. People cursing at NPCs makes no sense, does it. In PVE it’s very rare, thankfully.

Yah. Rare in PvE (noncompetive). Common in PvP (competitive). I suspect the two communities are held to different standards for that reason and PvP only gets sanctioned for actual, direct abuse, not just general salty comments and (mild) profanity.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

By the reaction on this thread you can probably see how popular this change would be. No one likes to be silenced and I don’t think Anet could even manage to enforce stricter speech codes. They’ve already provided tools to deal with things like this, and there’s nothing in this world that is objectively offensive (anything can be offensive) so if that isn’t enough for you I’m not sure what they can do.
If they cater to you specifically then they’ll be expected to cater to everyone and we’ll quickly find our chat very controlled.
At one point one has to take responisibility for one’s own self, and say I won’t let those words bother me or I will take measures to avoid those word, because at the end of the day, you aren’t any more important than anyone else.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: Samnang.1879

Samnang.1879

It’s why I’m so repulsed by PvP. You can read the other team’s messages and sometimes there are people that will just get aggressive and rude with you for no reasons.

I don’t ever want to play PvP because it makes me hate the game, and it’s annoying that the new legendaries require the tokens from PvP.

Please nerf bag types instead of class skills!

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Hey, people like that are just telling you what sort of person they are. It’s a big, lighted, neon billboard sign that says an awful lot about them. Makes it easy for you to avoid them.

Blocking is easy to do.

Posted by: Silvatar.5379

Silvatar.5379

This

Because everyone, including you, should be able to enjoy the game without being harassed or verbally abused by people who are blatantly breaking the TOS. If increasing numbers of people are so quick to dismiss the TOS, to which they agreed to abide by, then perhaps its time for Anet to strengthen its enforcement and enhance potential punishments along the lines of what the OP is suggesting (other options are possible).

For all those that are saying, “block and report”, I agree with this course of action but to suggest that the OP needs to “man-up”, you seem to be confused. A “real man” does not remain silent when he sees something wrong happening (like bullying), a “real man” takes action to improve the situation. A popular phase/quote comes to mind:

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

By creating this thread, perhaps the OP might contribute to raising the awareness of Anet to this issue (if indeed bullying is happening more often in the game which I can not confirm or refute).

Andraus.3874

OP you can’t control others behaviors. You can only control your own including your reaction to their behaviors. So block them and report to be done with it.

Wait I need to clarify this.. You can LET others control your behavior. For instance, someone in pvp makes you upset with their negativity. They make you so upset that your bothered enough to make a forum post about it.

Now if you did NOT LET them control your behaviors you simply would have blocked, reported, and moved on. But right now they have control over your emotions. Right now they are winning and getting exactly what they want because you’re letting them. This is why a lot of responses here are like “grow up, get over it, Ect.” Because to counter this type of negativity you have to rise above it and realize it isn’t worth getting upset over so you simply block report and move on.

Inoki.6048

It’s why I’m so repulsed by PvP. You can read the other team’s messages and sometimes there are people that will just get aggressive and rude with you for no reasons.

I don’t ever want to play PvP because it makes me hate the game, and it’s annoying that the new legendaries require the tokens from PvP.

^ best described it.

What I often feel just when I think of launching the game lately is disgust. Disgust, that I would have to be in an arena with people with the tendency to condescend to a level below that of a rat, honestly. It’s repulsive to even think of doing PVP.

Andraus.3874

^ best described it.

What I often feel just when I think of launching the game lately is disgust. Disgust, that I would have to be in an arena with people with the tendency to condescend to a level below that of a rat, honestly. It’s repulsive to even think of doing PVP.

Well that’s your choice then. Good luck.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Because, as human beings we are naturally emotional (some more, some less, some not at all it seems) and we use words to communicate and express how and what we feel, or what we want (to achieve) et al.

If the words used are intended for hurtful or otherwise demeaning purposes they shouldn’t be tolerated. It’s the same as using verbal insults against ones race, gender, orientation, religion, you name it – that too, though just verbal, is often used as a weapon.

I think quite a few individuals could use a lecture in psychology, to learn about how things work in life. Most think that “just getting over it” will do. Tell that to a person suffering from severe depression, for example.

I can insult someone without using a single word of profanity. So why is profanity bad?

Posted by: Augurs of Gas.2184

Augurs of Gas.2184

lmao

Miku.6297

Because everyone, including you, should be able to enjoy the game without being harassed or verbally abused by people who are blatantly breaking the TOS. If increasing numbers of people are so quick to dismiss the TOS, to which they agreed to abide by, then perhaps its time for Anet to strengthen its enforcement and enhance potential punishments along the lines of what the OP is suggesting (other options are possible).
“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.” .

So those that play the game, and don’t mind or commonly use crude language in the heat of the moment (and like it that way) should be punished? Some people don’t mind or even enjoy a little bit of trash talk in a competitive environment.

The issue I have here is where is the line drawn, crude language =/= harassment. So by whos definition of what is acceptable would someone be suspended or banned from?

I don’t really feel like by saying “block and report then move on” is dismissing the ToS in fact it’s saying: block them, this will solve the OPs problem of seeing the offensive messages any further; report them, this will alert A-net that a user is potentially breaking the ToS and is disrupting anothers play experience.

Sephas.8793

lmao

ditto

If it’s that bad OP, maybe you need to find another game where there is no profanity. Or stick to PVE…

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

This is why a lot of responses here are like “grow up, get over it, Ect.” Because to counter this type of negativity you have to rise above it and realize it isn’t worth getting upset over so you simply block report and move on.

Actually, the “grow up, get over it” crowd are the very people that would get silenced/kickbanned if ToS they agreed to when they bought the game were enforced properly. :P

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

^ best described it.

I celebrated the first time someone sent me vitriol on PvP by posting it on my tumblr (I censored their name of course). It’s amazing what you can take when you laugh it off. I also like submitting to kittengw2playerssay.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

No thanks

Implementation of a Code of Conduct is the first step in a SJW takeover of a space.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.