Prove that GW2 is Vertical Progression.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: CHIPS.6018

CHIPS.6018

You said I should go back to GW1. I could just easily tell you to move to another extremely grindy MMO. That argument will lead nowhere. Instead, look at the two different core design philosophies above. Pick and choose which you your prefer.

I’m not asking the developers to change the game for me. That is what you are trying to do, I enjoy the way the game is. So I made the mention that if you really did enjoy GW1 so much you should just go back. I do not find GW2 grindy at all because I do not support the claim that Ascended armor is needed. I have 5 different sets of exotic in the bank for my character, it takes me 2 minutes to respec. A little be more if I forget what traits I used and need to look at my spreadsheet I have. (Which on this note would love a system to save a trait build.) Back to the point, I am just making the point that there is in no way that “Proof that GW2 is Vertical Progression.” that your post tries to make. I showed that there is vertical progession in every game, by this your first post is invalid.

Sure GW1 and GW2 both have vertical progression. My claim of “GW1 takes 2 minutes” vs “GW2 takes 3 months” stated this very fact.

Why? Because 2 minutes is still vertical progression. This is a fact. No matter how small, like 2 minutes, vertical progression is still vertical progression.

But it is also obvious that GW2’s vertical progression is in a different league than GW1’s. Totally different league.

You said "I do not find GW2 grindy at all because I do not support the claim that Ascended armor is needed. I have 5 different sets of exotic in the bank for my character, it takes me 2 minutes to respec. "

It takes more than 2 minutes to get 5 exotic gear sets. It is true that exotic gear doesn’t take that long to get. But surely more than 2 minutes. And btw 5 sets is incomplete. You do not have all the options available within your fingertip. You have to get more exotic sets if you want all the options.

I understand that having Ascended gear around does not affect you, because you have no plans of getting them. You are perfectly happy with exotic. But then, why are you defending Ascended gear? I have asked people with you point of view many times. But I have still not gotten an answer.

And then you said you got 5 set of exotics. They are great. Except

-In WvW you will be at a disadvantage when you fight against someone with full Ascended gear. You maybe able to overcome this by being the better player. But fact is you are at a disadvantage when you begin.
-In PvE you have a higher chance of dying than someone with full Ascended gear. You also deals less damage, making you less valuable in the party/group. You may very well overcome these by player ability. But fact is you are at a disadvantage when you begin.

The above are facts.

Maybe eventually those dungeon elitists will require full Ascended gear before they take you in. You may try telling them you are an awesome player ability wise. These elitist couldn’t care less.

You see where I am going with this? Ascended gear hurts YOU too! So why are you defending it? That’s what I don’t understand.

Chipsy Chips(Necromancer) & Char Ashnoble(Thief)
The Order of Dii[Dii]-SBI→Kaineng→TC→JQ
Necro Encyclopedia-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrAjJ1N6hxs

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Yes you do level from 1 to 80 that is a type of vertical progression any game is like that though i do not see your point.

Yes nearly all games have vertical progression to some degree. But the vertical progression in GW2 is out of control right now in my opinion.

One armor set that not a full upgrade but more on the lines of a +1 is about as far out of control as you can get. I think your making mountains out of ant mounds. Out of control vertical progression is what you have in WoW a full new armor set ever 6 months and about 5 to 10 levels every year. In WoW vertical progression will never end and i have a feeling games say like wildstar or other games with a raid end game you will see the same thing happen. GW2 progression reminds me of FF11 before they added in a higher level cap then 75 only a +1 gear set. My point is that if you call this out of control what is in control vertical progression?

To be honest, it is the slippery slope that I am worried about the most. But even right now, the fact I listed stands.

It takes 3 months to full switch from one build to the next, because switching Ascended gear takes a long time. They take a while to obtain.

People may argue that you do not need Ascended gear. If they only use Exotic (or even masterwork) gear then they can switch very easily. Sure. But then they will be playing at a stat disadvantage, because Ascended stats > Exotic stats > Masterwork stats.

All these a facts.

The next argument is that exotic have very similar stats as Ascended. This is indeed true. However it is still a stat advantage. An unfair advantage is still an unfair advantage, no matter how small. That’s why the Olympics made every effort to make sure the completion is nearly 100% totally fair.

Once again, think of the slippery slope.

Until Anet openly state that “the slippery slope has ended”, we don’t know it will end. WoW is a much older game than GW2, so its slippery slope is more obvious. We cannot say “WoW is worst than GW2” because GW2 hasn’t reached the end of its slippery slope yet.

Hope I am making sense.

Why is it unfair? Your acting like things in pve are so base off of gear that any changes will = a win or a lost and that just not true. In WvW its unfair to be an up level but you can still get into wvw so its unfair to the world to have more up-level its also unfair to use a tp etc.. the list goes on and on for wvw its not made to be fair. There is no slope to slip down because the game still doable in greens at all levels but ONE event fractals and that 10+ fractals only. Its such a small part of the game over all though and you can get the full content of fractals by doing level 1 to 10.

That’s not true.

So there are added fractals 10+? the ideal of fractals is to see old story lines if your running them for the events and not the loot. So yes its comply true.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Yes you do level from 1 to 80 that is a type of vertical progression any game is like that though i do not see your point.

Yes nearly all games have vertical progression to some degree. But the vertical progression in GW2 is out of control right now in my opinion.

One armor set that not a full upgrade but more on the lines of a +1 is about as far out of control as you can get. I think your making mountains out of ant mounds. Out of control vertical progression is what you have in WoW a full new armor set ever 6 months and about 5 to 10 levels every year. In WoW vertical progression will never end and i have a feeling games say like wildstar or other games with a raid end game you will see the same thing happen. GW2 progression reminds me of FF11 before they added in a higher level cap then 75 only a +1 gear set. My point is that if you call this out of control what is in control vertical progression?

To be honest, it is the slippery slope that I am worried about the most. But even right now, the fact I listed stands.

It takes 3 months to full switch from one build to the next, because switching Ascended gear takes a long time. They take a while to obtain.

People may argue that you do not need Ascended gear. If they only use Exotic (or even masterwork) gear then they can switch very easily. Sure. But then they will be playing at a stat disadvantage, because Ascended stats > Exotic stats > Masterwork stats.

All these a facts.

The next argument is that exotic have very similar stats as Ascended. This is indeed true. However it is still a stat advantage. An unfair advantage is still an unfair advantage, no matter how small. That’s why the Olympics made every effort to make sure the completion is nearly 100% totally fair.

Until Anet openly state that “the slippery slope has ended”, we don’t know it will end. WoW is a much older game than GW2, so its slippery slope is more obvious. We cannot say “WoW is worst than GW2” because GW2 hasn’t reached the end of its slippery slope yet.

Hope I am making sense.

Why is it unfair? Your acting like things in pve are so base off of gear that any changes will = a win or a lost and that just not true. In WvW its unfair to be an up level but you can still get into wvw so its unfair to the world to have more up-level its also unfair to use a tp etc.. the list goes on and on for wvw its not made to be fair. There is no slope to slip down because the game still doable in greens at all levels but ONE event fractals and that 10+ fractals only. Its such a small part of the game over all though and you can get the full content of fractals by doing level 1 to 10.

That’s not true.

So there are added fractals 10+? the ideal of fractals is to see old story lines if your running them for the events and not the loot. So yes its comply true.

While that may be your definition of the content – It’s not Anet’s.

Mistlock instabilities start at 31.

Fights change

Mobs have More Hps

Mobs hit you harder.

You are required to do additional actions/events in certain fractals.

Boss Mechanics change a bit due to Instability list as well as most other actions.

1-10 Doesn’t show you everything Fractals Offer – Sorry to break it to you.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

CHIPS.6018

All these a facts.

Hope I am making sense.

I will repeat what I said:

You may overcome your disadvantages in stats by player ability (e.g. being an awesome player). But you are still at a disadvantage.

You, being an awesome player, does not mean you are not at a disadvantage. Because you are at a disadvantage, literally.

A very bad player (e.g. far worst than you) may be able to do what you do, simply by having higher stats.

Jski.6180

All these a facts.

Hope I am making sense.

You may overcome your disadvantages in stats by player ability (e.g. being an awesome player). But you are still at a disadvantage.

You, being an awesome player, does not mean you are not at a disadvantage. Because you are at a disadvantage, literally.

A very bad player (e.g. far worst than you) may be able to do what you do, simply by having higher stats.

And that for the player to do but not the fault of the player who has better gear. At best your trying to tear down ppl who have better gear and who has put more work into the game. By just simply playing it longer as a player they have an advantages over players who have not.

Jski.6180

Fights change

Mobs have More Hps

Mobs hit you harder.

Boss Mechanics change a bit due to Instability list as well as most other actions.

So harder mobs and better items IS content then? I do not see why you have a problem with vertical progression then.

CHIPS.6018

All these a facts.

Hope I am making sense.

And that for the player to do but not the fault of the player who has better gear. At best your trying to tear down ppl who have better gear and who has put more work into the game. By just simply playing it longer as a player they have an advantages over players who have not.

I am not saying it is any players’ fault. I am saying the whole system is flawed. You are, literally, at a disadvantage when you are:

-Engaging in WvW fights
-Surviving in PvE.
-Finding groups in dungeons.

Those are all very important parts of the game.

Overcoming your disadvantages by being an awesome player doesn’t mean you are no longer in a disadvantage.

Jski.6180

I am not saying it is any players’ fault. I am saying the whole system is flawed. You are, literally, at a disadvantage when you are:

-Engaging in WvW fights
-Surviving in PvE.
-Finding groups in dungeons.

Those are all very important parts of the game.

Overcoming your disadvantages by being an awesome player doesn’t mean you are no longer in a disadvantage.

Your ALWAYS at a disadvantages to other players even if you had the best gear in the game that is what type of game GW2 is. Its not the stander let mob hit you and your hp / def wins you the fight its about avoiding dmg and places down well shot spells. WvW is made to be the most disadvantages part of the game there soo many means of being lesser then the other 2 side gear just becomes insignificant. If your dieing in pve you doing something wrong and gear will not save you when ppl can zerk things down in full glass and yet other players cant stay alive in non zerk there a major skill gap going on. You cant force ppl to inv you to there group the same goes you cant force ppl into showing your gear its your chose and there chose what they do gear has nothing to do with it.

You forget the only important thing in an mmorpg its knowing ppl and communicating with troughs ppl gear will not make you better at that only time and your ability to deal ppl will. All mmoprgs is about human interaction in a game setting gear grinding vertical progression is nothing more then an excuse to spend more time with though ppl.

Posted by: Azreell.1568

Azreell.1568

Fights change

Mobs have More Hps

Mobs hit you harder.

So harder mobs and better items IS content then? I do not see why you have a problem with vertical progression then.

I never said I had a problem with it.

Actually I support the ideal.

The problem is the reward system in this game is terrible.

Azreell – Mesmer
Loyalty To None

Jski.6180

Fights change

Mobs have More Hps

Mobs hit you harder.

I never said I had a problem with it.

Actually I support the ideal.

The problem is the reward system in this game is terrible.

You get your own reward when you do thing how is that bad? Its a lot better then every one got to roll for something.

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I think you guys are missing the point of FTOM.

FTOM 1-9 can be done without any ascended as intended
FOTM 10+ needs ascended as intended.

FTOM 1-9 has identical content as 10+ but with different challenged.

FOTM 10+ was designed for ascended and infusions in mind. No other part of the game requires ascended or infusions.

The content of FOTM 10+ is exactly the same as FOTM 1-9 but with different challenges and rewards. The content is the exact same (the levels are the exact same with the exact same enemies therefore the content is the exact same).

Since all content can be done without ascended than Ascended is a want not a need. You do not need Ascended to complete content X, but you want Ascended to complete content X cooler (horizontal progression) or better (vertical progression).

I wont deny that Ascended is the better stat wise than exotic cause that would be a pointless argument.

Vertical Progression is not dreadful unless its a gear treadmill which by the way this isn’t for they stated it will be the final tier.

As well to the comments about Anet lying. Anet is in a similar situation to when an individual person has to make a hard choice between what they said but have to do. Ascended was added because of the high demand from people complaining about the grind to Legendary from Exotic. Legendary at that time was meant to take years to achieve to get (Long term goal). People were trying to get their legendary in just a few months after release. Ascended was a rushed release at the same time of the failed Karka invasion event (lag fest). So when it first appeared it was in limited locations and the person who did it made an official apology on the forums for it.

They have been working on fixing it ever sense without making it easy to obtain which is against the reason why they designed it. Ascended is a middle-term goal rather than a longer-term goal. It will take you months to get ascended compared to years that Legendary was intended to be. Right now you guys are complaining about the length of time it takes to get Ascended which is its intended length of time.

My long-term goal is to outfit my 10 characters with full ascended gear. Is this goal achievable? Yes it is. Basic calculations say its achievable in less than 5years. It takes only a few months to outfit a single character which to me is not much.

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

Just how long will it be before we see agony in PvE and WvW…

I wonder….

Devona’s Rest

Posted by: Suddenflame.2601

Suddenflame.2601

I wonder….

To date there is only one known enemy that uses Agony. It is the Mursaat and if they appear than in PVE and WvW (if they exist in WvW) there would be agony (caused by Spectral Agony).

Ranger; Warrior; Mesmer; Elementalist; Guardian; Engineer
[GWAM] and [LUST]
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

Posted by: blakdoxa.7520

blakdoxa.7520

I wonder….

To date there is only one known enemy that uses Agony. It is the Mursaat and if they appear than in PVE and WvW (if they exist in WvW) there would be agony (caused by Spectral Agony).

As per GW1 lore, there’s only one murasaat left in the world of Tyria. Unless they come from some other dimension or realm it’s unlikely they will come to GW2. I mean just think of the plot holes!!

Potentially a disaster would unfold if agony came out. It would increase the need for ascended gear putting off players without the gear and restricting access to content requiring agony resistance. That would be a “fine” way to shoehorn VP in the game.

Devona’s Rest

CHIPS.6018

WvW is made to be the most disadvantages part of the game there soo many means of being lesser then the other 2 side gear just becomes insignificant.

If your dieing in pve you doing something wrong and gear will not save you when ppl can zerk things down in full glass and yet other players cant stay alive in non zerk there a major skill gap going on.

You cant force ppl to inv you to there group the same goes you cant force ppl into showing your gear its your chose and there chose what they do gear has nothing to do with it.

WvW: Sure many of the fights are 20 vs 40, which isn’t even strength. Yet you cannot deny that even strength fights do happen. In fact it happens more often than you think. And hence you cannot deny that this advantage does exist. Whatever that’s significant or not is up to personal opinion and debate.

And what about the increased chance of escaping alive from a 20 vs 40 fight? Is this not an advantage in itself?

PvE survival: You are saying here that “if you died wearing exotic gear, you would have died even with Ascended gear.” Ok sure this may be true 95% of the time. But what about those 5%? If you wear full ascended gear, and you survive with 600 health left, that Ascended gear just saved your life. It does happen. And yes this is an advantage.

Dungeon invite: It is a fact that having full Ascended gear makes it easier to get into dungeon groups. That said player may be a terrible player, but the group won’t know this until they played with that said player. And I consider this an advantage.

I am not saying Exotic gear users cannot find a group right now. I said this may happen in the future when elitists takes over. The potential of gear discrimination is there.

CHIPS.6018

I think you guys are missing the point of FTOM.

FTOM 1-9 can be done without any ascended as intended
FOTM 10+ needs ascended as intended.

FTOM 1-9 has identical content as 10+ but with different challenged.

FOTM 10+ was designed for ascended and infusions in mind. No other part of the game requires ascended or infusions.

The content of FOTM 10+ is exactly the same as FOTM 1-9 but with different challenges and rewards. The content is the exact same (the levels are the exact same with the exact same enemies therefore the content is the exact same).

Since all content can be done without ascended than Ascended is a want not a need. You do not need Ascended to complete content X, but you want Ascended to complete content X cooler (horizontal progression) or better (vertical progression).

I wont deny that Ascended is the better stat wise than exotic cause that would be a pointless argument.

Vertical Progression is not dreadful unless its a gear treadmill which by the way this isn’t for they stated it will be the final tier.

As well to the comments about Anet lying. Anet is in a similar situation to when an individual person has to make a hard choice between what they said but have to do. Ascended was added because of the high demand from people complaining about the grind to Legendary from Exotic. Legendary at that time was meant to take years to achieve to get (Long term goal). People were trying to get their legendary in just a few months after release. Ascended was a rushed release at the same time of the failed Karka invasion event (lag fest). So when it first appeared it was in limited locations and the person who did it made an official apology on the forums for it.

They have been working on fixing it ever sense without making it easy to obtain which is against the reason why they designed it. Ascended is a middle-term goal rather than a longer-term goal. It will take you months to get ascended compared to years that Legendary was intended to be. Right now you guys are complaining about the length of time it takes to get Ascended which is its intended length of time.

My long-term goal is to outfit my 10 characters with full ascended gear. Is this goal achievable? Yes it is. Basic calculations say its achievable in less than 5years. It takes only a few months to outfit a single character which to me is not much.

Your 10 character, 5 year plan only works if you plan to never change any of those 10 characters’ build.

What if you get bored with one of your characters and want to change his build? Then you got to grind for ascended gear to fit that new build.

By your estimation, it takes 6 months to fully equip one character with Ascended gear. Let’s go with that.

It takes 6 months for you to re-equip your character to fully Ascended for the new build

You got to admit that this is annoying and it is a waste of time. Having Ascended gears does not benefit you at all. So why are you defending Ascended gear?

(edited by CHIPS.6018)

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Its the same complaints from a different person

Thank you for demonstrating why this thread, and others like it, should exist.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Technically even if Ascended gear was needed to play half of the content in the game it would be a want rather than a need because there is no need to play the game. That said, using the looser definition of need necessary to describe a situation where participation of any sort is a want, ascended gear is a need for some.

I’ve seen a statement to the effect that they would like this to be the final tier, but nothing definitive that this would be the final tier. Do you happen to have a link saying that this will definitely be the last tier ?

I have seen statements saying that this tier would not exist so any claim that it is the last must be taken with a grain of salt in my opinion.

A big part of why I would consider the matter to be questionable is that Anet stated that a character would have access to max level gear by level 80. Then they switched their approach by adding ascended and claimed that the “max gear by level 80” was never intended. Feeling a financial pressure, or having a change of heart, about a game design element of this sort is one thing. Claiming that the statement used as part of the game’s marketing, used to sell people on the game in the first place, was never intended to be followed through is something else entirely.

There is a huge difference between, “we couldn’t fulfill our design intentions,” and, “we never intended to follow through on our marketing claims.” Unfortunately the latter, paraphrased, describes anet’s actions/words in this case.

characters will have BiS gear by level 80

vs

we never intended characters to have BiS gear this quickly.

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Give an option to switch stats for ascended gear. Problem solved.

But then people would complain about legendaries being worthless.

Ahahah, but legendaries are just about looks, are they not? /thread

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

CHIPS.6018

Give an option to switch stats for ascended gear. Problem solved.

But then people would complain about legendaries being worthless.

Ahahah, but legendaries are just about looks, are they not? /thread

Indeed. Looks by themselves have value. There is no need for stats to be different. ^^