Psst! Hey you... let's get horizontal.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

I like the idea of unlocking skill “variants”. For example, we have Moa Morph. What if you could unlock other types of morphs? Dolyak morph, for example. Or if you could turn someone into a newt. Yeah, I want Newt Morph.

Yeah! I want my tornado to turn into a freakin hurricane man!

Imagine a “sharknado” variant?

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: LittleLepton.8915

LittleLepton.8915

I like the idea of unlocking skill “variants”. For example, we have Moa Morph. What if you could unlock other types of morphs? Dolyak morph, for example. Or if you could turn someone into a newt. Yeah, I want Newt Morph.

Yeah! I want my tornado to turn into a freakin hurricane man!

Imagine a “sharknado” variant?

Only valid underwater, when eles can use spear for the shark legendary.

Mesmers with the shark legendary should be sharknados.

You don’t know me.

#LilithFan#1

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

At the top my head:

• Unlockable skill animations.
  • Weapon dyes! But weapon dye slots have to be forged.
  • Aesthetics “sockets” on items that changes their appearance slightly like a glow or sparks.

OMG THIS! Of course, knowing Anet it will be 250 ectos, 250 powerful blood vials, 250 eyes and 250 silver doubloons each part, but like the first replay said; I want Bifrost dye SO BADLY

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

Weapon naming.

Oh yes! Please, make it so!

I couldn’t wait to name my rifle “Charlene”

I’d never even thought of this as an option before, but I instantly wanted it the moment I read it!

In the first thread (before it went all Vertical on us), I suggested cosmetic skill variants that you can earn. Like different looking engineer turrets based on each of the race’s crafting styles, or different forms for the elementals that elementalists summon. Red spell effects on a guardian or different morphs for a mesmer would would be great, as others suggested already.

Now, for the big suggestions. (I’m stealing these from CoH, by the way.) First, I want them to make “Badges” for various achievements. Explore all of Queensdale? Get a badge. Dredge slayer? Get a badge. Earned 50 badges? Get a badge! Different groups of badges should each have a different look. Now, give us the ability to call up a display of all the badges on a character (or account, as appropriate), with the different types grouped by each other. Make collecting them something people can work towards and show off, if they wish. It worked great in CoH.

Second is to have an actual description space. I’ve seen them used to simply describe the character’s looks better, list accomplishments not reflected in the badges, and even to give RP background. The important thing is that it allows you to add something to the character, and make it more your own. No special graphics, no stats, just a text field of decent size that other people could call up and read. (Though I do hope you do a better job of making it easy to edit than CoH did.)

Finally, I’d suggest adding in a special challenge for dungeons. Let’s say a list of 5-7 things you need to do in each dungeon, such as making it through all paths without anyone in the party dying, or killing everything in story mode. It tracks them, so you don’t have to do them all at once. And when you’ve done them all, you get a special title (and badge) that shows you’ve mastered that dungeon. You could also add ones that link across multiple dungeons, such as one for clearing all story modes without dying.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

Weapon naming.

Oh yes! Please, make it so!

I couldn’t wait to name my rifle “Charlene”

I’d never even thought of this as an option before, but I instantly wanted it the moment I read it!

Stuff like this amazes me that it isn’t in every major MMO that comes to the market. Maybe LoTRO and DAoC spoiled me, but naming your items and full length cloaks should come standard in any game, at release.

Anything less is backtracking in development. Full length cloaks and customizable items should not be the exception, they should be the norm.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Vick.6805

Vick.6805

Legendary Dyes would be amazing. Weapon dying would be incredible.

I also like the Tomb Raider idea someone mentioned. You have a PvE utility skill (like Light of Deldrimor) that can open up randomly generated mini-dungeons in PvE zones with scaling boss fights for a treasure chest at the end. It would certainly introduce a little incentive to revisit zones after world completion. For that matter, they could do the same thing in WvW and it would create new focal points for opponents to fight each other over loot.

I know I’m dreaming with the next one, but:
Player housing, guild halls, and the home instance also have huge potential for customization. Let us design our own houses and create our own furnishings using the crafting disciplines. Let us design and furnish our own guild halls. Let us commission blueprints from players known for making cool designs. The player’s house and guild hall should also be part of the home instance. It could determine which guild hall to show based on which guild you’re repping when you enter the instance.

Posted by: Cyto.9401

Cyto.9401

Legendary Dyes would be amazing. Weapon dying would be incredible.

I also like the Tomb Raider idea someone mentioned. You have a PvE utility skill (like Light of Deldrimor) that can open up randomly generated mini-dungeons in PvE zones with scaling boss fights for a treasure chest at the end. It would certainly introduce a little incentive to revisit zones after world completion. For that matter, they could do the same thing in WvW and it would create new focal points for opponents to fight each other over loot.

I know I’m dreaming with the next one, but:
Player housing, guild halls, and the home instance also have huge potential for customization. Let us design our own houses and create our own furnishings using the crafting disciplines. Let us design and furnish our own guild halls. Let us commission blueprints from players known for making cool designs. The player’s house and guild hall should also be part of the home instance. It could determine which guild hall to show based on which guild you’re repping when you enter the instance.

you might want to take a look at this game that is coming out called “everquest landmark” :-p

Posted by: islarose.7356

islarose.7356

I want my armor to be bifrost armor. I want legendary dyes that infuse dye slots with rainbows.

:)

Oh.. My. I could so get behind that. Legendary dyes, with unique dye effects.

Posted by: islarose.7356

islarose.7356

In terms of horizontal progression; as a conditioned vertical progression player (in my past gaming experience) I think what is significant is that GW2 is able to maintain my attention and energy without appealing to my inner overachiever, at least in terms of gear, although, it’s worth noting, the most flashy non-gem store items in game require a legendary feat of grinding. The issue with vertical progression is once you reach the top, which one can easily do with an established group, there is really nothing more to do. GW2 avoids this by bringing in fresh story content every two weeks, the legendary and time-gated ascended gear and weapons with negligible stat bonuses, aesthetic advances, and extensive mat grinds.

Perhaps it’s just my playstyle, but I’m mostly interested maintaining the LS cycles/meta achievements, bolstering the achievement system (for open world and especially wvw) and the rewards it offers (something other than pvp skins..) and beyond that, perhaps adding new zones, dungeons, fractals, recurring events, and putting a bit more effort into the new rewards, currencies, and unique skins they would offer. Being that this is a game that values aesthetics in lieu of major stat increases, there definitely needs to be an increased variety of skins featuring greater skin effects based on the level of effort exerted to obtain them.

I’d be more interested in minis if they incorporated a mini pet management system, where they could be summoned from a hero panel, rather than having them in your bag and often accidentally depositing them with other collectibles. Having them stay out until log-out/combat/dismissal as well.

Additionally, allowing for a character to reflect their achievements and accomplishments beyond their AP count and ascended/legendary items. Having the home instance reflect one’s achievements sounds like a nice idea, however I don’t know that the impact will truly be meaningful. The skill/skill challenge suggestions, cosmetic variants and legendary quest lines sound fantastic, especially if your class feels a bit underwhelming in the elite skill department. As an unrelated side note, I love the underwater combat, and having a zone or quest/event chain incorporating more of it would be fun.

Posted by: Tael.5432

Tael.5432

This thread is so full of great ideas. It gives me hope that we’ll see some amazing ways to progress, hopefully next year!

Fairy Tael – Elementalist

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

At the top my head:

• Unlockable skill animations.
  • Weapon dyes! But weapon dye slots have to be forged.
  • Aesthetics “sockets” on items that changes their appearance slightly like a glow or sparks.

OMG THIS! Of course, knowing Anet it will be 250 ectos, 250 powerful blood vials, 250 eyes and 250 silver doubloons each part, but like the first replay said; I want Bifrost dye SO BADLY

Nooooooooo. xD My worst nightmare.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Posted by: Kaizer.7135

Kaizer.7135

New skills for existing weapon sets that you can swap out, more skins that AREN’T attainable just from Gem Store, more PvP modes, New WvW map (have them on rotation, EB for 1 week, other map for 1 week, back to EB etc.), new idle and combat animations (will never happen but meh).

Oh and more ways to attain Ascended Gear rather than stupid laurels, stupid crafting or stupid RNG drops.

Thanks

Posted by: CryxTryx.9208

CryxTryx.9208

I’m a huge fan of titles for some reason. They are simple and to the point. The thing is, for a title to mean anything to me it has to at least take some time/skill preferably both to achieve.

I don’t want a title anyone can just throw on , I want a title I had to earn.

I don’t know why Anet is currently so frugal with their title giving.

I wish my Liadri complete had a title, hrm.. ‘Consumed Darkness’. There.

I wish some jumping puzzles had titles.

Solo’ing Lupi should have a title, or killing him as a group with melee damage only.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Here is how vertical grind of Ascended gear, combined with horizontal progression don’t fit well together:

• With horizontal progression in the form of new skills: New builds will arise and some old builds will become unviable/non-optimal. If that means grinding for a new set of Ascended gear, people are not going to be happy.
  • With horizontal progression in the form of skins: With exotic gear, if you want an alternate look, you (easily) get another set of gear and put your new skins on that new set. With Ascended, are you really going to grind out an alternet set of Ascended gear? Thus:

Every player who gets Ascended gear represents money lost for Anet because they are less apt to buy skins. Think about that, Anet.

CryxTryx.9208

Here is how vertical grind of Ascended gear, combined with horizontal progression don’t fit well together:

• With horizontal progression in the form of new skills: New builds will arise and some old builds will become unviable/non-optimal. If that means grinding for a new set of Ascended gear, people are not going to be happy.
  • With horizontal progression in the form of skins: With exotic gear, if you want an alternate look, you (easily) get another set of gear and put your new skins on that new set. With Ascended, are you really going to grind out an alternet set of Ascended gear? Thus:

Every player who gets Ascended gear represents money lost for Anet because they are less apt to buy skins. Think about that, Anet.

Why do I need a second set of Ascended gear to skin it?

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

If you want to have two sets available to you (to fit your mood, for example).

Of course, you can always keep old, unused skins using transmutation crystals to move them to white gear as storage, but that is a HUGE pain, not to mention costly. I’d guess there are many people who simply won’t bother to put skins on their Ascended gear because of these issues:

Before Ascended gear came along, I personally had two stat-wise identical exotic daggers with different (expensive!) skins. Now that I have an Ascended dagger, I haven’t bothered with skinning it at all because I know it’ll be a hassle should I decide to reskin (without destroying the incumbent skin).

CryxTryx.9208

If you want to have two sets available to you (to fit your mood, for example).

Of course, you can always keep old, unused skins using transmutation crystals to move them to white gear as storage, but that is a HUGE pain, not to mention costly. I’d guess there are many people who simply won’t bother to put skins on their Ascended gear because of these issues:

Before Ascended gear came along, I personally had two stat-wise identical exotic daggers with different (expensive!) skins. Now that I have an Ascended dagger, I haven’t bothered with skinning it at all because I know it’ll be a hassle should I decide to reskin (without destroying the incumbent skin).

Ok but you are doing a lot of assuming there by copy/pasting your play preferences over everyone elses.

I for one did not like how trivial is was to aquire end game gear. I didn’t like the fact that I could have all the gear I needed, including multiple reduntant sets if desired with in minutes of leveling a new character to 80.

I usually have a few sets of armor on me for a variety of reaons, and I will continue to do so.

Can I just take a few tokens from the pile and throw it at an NPC to get a brand new set of armor? No. But I’ll still get my multiple sets of armor, it will just take me longer, I’ll have to put a little bit of effort into it. Spend some time playing the game I already like to play..

This will not discourage me from buying gem store skins..

Posted by: Julie Yann.5379

Julie Yann.5379

Unlockable Emotes would be pretty fun to work towards. Along with legendary dyes and dyable weapons. Legendary Armor would be incredible. Just the thought of never having to carft another piece of armor ever again and being able to switch stats without having to craft another set is something I would definitely work for as long as there is no ridiculously low drop rate on armor precursors.

Be careful what you wish for, Anet might just give it to you “HoT”
“…let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die;.”

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

The official thread is up, grab your ideas and cut and paste them over!

#TeamJadeQuarry