Pushy Guild Representation - Right or Wrong?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

While pushy, you agreed to represent the guild 100% when you joined the guild, so it’s best to follow their rules.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I personally don’t feel that “I want to play with my friend” is a valid reason to represent another guild, simply because you can still play with your friend, regardless of guild tag. Do people feel that they aren’t able to party with their friend and talk to them anymore because of their guild tag? If that other guild doesn’t require 100% representation then what difference does it make anyway if you are representing us and your friend is representing another guild? You’re still friends and are still playing together.

your friend has a 4 man guild. It’s inportant for them that when they’re online, there 4 people would play with them and also use the guild chat. That said person is online for 1 hour a day and their buddies get lonely without them. Hence they have another guild to be in when their buddy is not online.

I am curious, if let’s say 95% of your members don’t represent (hypothetically), how you are able to have those players’ personalities, skill, values, etc. reflect on your guild and not whatever guild they are representing at the time.

Well it tends to not to happen because a lot of people know us as a fun bunch, therefore choose to hang out with us. We’re where the fun is at and besides, for a casual guild, if someone is in super hardcore guild, I don’t care that that persons skill set reflect the skillset of the hardcore guild and not ours. We’re not here with a purpose to be the best dungeon runners, or the best WvWers. We’re here to have fun at what we do and 90% of the time we do it in guild groups.

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

My guild has a rank for people who rep 100% of the time (other than purposes of guild banks) we dont push people to rep but the alot of people who are repping a lot of the time are like zombies. Id say there is a core 15 people who talk in guild chat and the rest are just there.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There are quite a lot of people playing this game. Is it remotely possible that the guild system as is serves different groups in different ways? If so, is that alright? I’d have to say, “Yes,” and “Yes.” I fail to see why this is even an issue for people.

Organizations aren’t being pushy if they have rules or standards for membership. They’re being selective. That is their privilege. Many private organizations have membership rules. I would not dream of joining such an organization and saying, “OK, I’m in, but you’ll have to waive rule #3 for me because I don’t want to abide by it.”

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

If the guild didn’t tell you upon you entering that it is a 100% rep req or maybe you missed that discussion where the rules had been changed, but it is completely up to the guild on how they handle rep. With each non repper, the guild loses that much more influence.

Pay attention to guild advertising, Or when you’re invited to a guild ask questions. Such as the rep req.

Posted by: Keysha.2815

Keysha.2815

The point was that exceptions tend to be the norm, and guild leaders who do or do not make exceptions are already aware of this norm and make their decision with these things in mind.

If they have decided that Dry Top is not representative of their community, then they will not grant the exception for it (the same way a dungeon guild may not feel like granting an exception for WvW while Tequatl is fine). It also suggests that people who are interested in Dry Top may not be the right fit for the guild, nor the guild the right fit for those people.

And the accusations of straw manning were absolutely required to make your point.

Although not required, the accusations were convenient and not without merit.

Your initial question “To those who insist on 100% rep” was reduced to clarified as “To those who insist on 100% rep with absolutely no exceptions”, which is a far weaker question to far fewer people.

Feelings may have been hurt. You may have felt violated. Sorry not sorry, especially when you double down and continue the hyperbole.

BY DEFINITION, if you ‘require’ 100% rep, but make exceptions, it is no longer a requirement for 100% rep. I think YOU are the one nitpicking here.

I have asked guild leaders in 100% rep guilds, as I have belonged to specialty guilds like TTS and DTop. Most of the time they will ‘make exceptions’ during a run like that, thus invalidating the 100% rep…. or are they? I belonged to one, briefly. No problem? Except when I would rep to my personal guild for banking purposes (I have 2, and use them a lot), I would start getting whispers that I’m not repping. When I would do teq… again, whispers. Yes, every guild has a right to set it’s own rules, but either you (and whomever else this fits) don’t really know the true meaning of the phrase “100% rep” or you end up doing just like that guild did, and go back on the oh-so-generous permission to give another guild the influence when they are the ones running something the player is taking advantage of.

It gets more absurd than that. The other day I was running around, doing a heart quest in Iron Marches, on an at-level alt. The guild bounty happened by, and a guild started her. I was whispered by a member of that guild to either rep them/join them, or get away from ‘their bounty’. I just laughed at them and continued what I was doing.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

My members don’t generally find a NEED to rep outside of the POPE tag unless it’s for the ease of special event guilds like TTS, or if we’re on our top secret cult guild to mess with people.

Point here is: If you join a guild with a 100% rep requirement, you chose to join that guild. If you don’t like the way leadership handles it, quit. Honestly, why is that so hard?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t see anything wrong with requesting 100% rep, but I will never join such a guild: I like too many different aspects of the game and I doubt there’s a guild in which everyone has the same diverse interests.

Full rep (at least during WvW and especially “raid nights”) is critical for a serious WvW guild: there’s simply no way the group can perform to its full potential without training and bonding together. It’s also important for newer guilds, as they seek to build influence, both from the game mechanic and throughout the game. I’ve seen several small (< 20 people) guilds grow to 300-500 strong or multi-guild alliances because they initially required full representation, in order to connect within their ranks and become known in the open world. The ideal recruiting situation is when you don’t have to spam advertisements, because people are frequently whispering your membership about whether/how they can join. At that point, a smart leaders (or council) will realize they can drop the 100% requirement.

OTOH, there are also lots of poorly-managed guilds that ask 100% rep for the worst reasons: control-freak leadership or misunderstood concerns about the inevitable attrition and so on.

So, if you really like a guild and like committing to a cause, by all means, join a 100%-rep guild. But if you have mixed feelings, look for a different one. Regardless, don’t worry about what someone else is doing to have fun if it’s not preventing you from doing your own thing.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Dave.2536

Dave.2536

BY DEFINITION, if you ‘require’ 100% rep, but make exceptions, it is no longer a requirement for 100% rep. I think YOU are the one nitpicking here.

I have asked guild leaders in 100% rep guilds, as I have belonged to specialty guilds like TTS and DTop. Most of the time they will ‘make exceptions’ during a run like that, thus invalidating the 100% rep…. or are they? I belonged to one, briefly. No problem? Except when I would rep to my personal guild for banking purposes (I have 2, and use them a lot), I would start getting whispers that I’m not repping. When I would do teq… again, whispers. Yes, every guild has a right to set it’s own rules, but either you (and whomever else this fits) don’t really know the true meaning of the phrase “100% rep” or you end up doing just like that guild did, and go back on the oh-so-generous permission to give another guild the influence when they are the ones running something the player is taking advantage of.

It gets more absurd than that. The other day I was running around, doing a heart quest in Iron Marches, on an at-level alt. The guild bounty happened by, and a guild started her. I was whispered by a member of that guild to either rep them/join them, or get away from ‘their bounty’. I just laughed at them and continued what I was doing.

No.

Expecting people in even a “100% rep” guild to be reasonable and welcoming of communication should be reasonable and standard. Thus the expectation of such rigidity at the point it was introduced in the forums, especially after many supposedly “100% rep” guild leaders and officers have shown up explaining their rationales and my own post here mentioning exceptions, becomes weak and irrational.

You and the one you are defending need to get a better understanding of “context” before trying to play semantics with me or with the thread.

PS: If an officer remarks that you aren’t repping, you can respond that you are doing a raid or Dry Top as you had previously discussed. 100% rep with exceptions doesn’t mean they have no right to ask you to rep. It simply means they have to be okay with it once you explain yourself.

Content in this game will always seem
to be faceroll at the high levels, because it
needs to be accessible to the casuals and bads.

Posted by: SpellOfIniquity.1780

SpellOfIniquity.1780

If the guild wants to require 100% rep, that’s their choice. As much as it is your choice to join.

If you disagree, leave. There’s nothing to be offended about. Representing benefits you and the guild by allowing you to communicate with each other and by accumulating guild influence. It was not “pushy” of them to whisper you stating that they require 100% rep. That’s just their guild policy. Again, if you don’t like it just leave. There are plenty of guilds that are more laid back about representation policies. Some require it only during raids, some require it a few times a week, some don’t care at all. Find what you’re comfortable with or you can even create you own.

Necromancer, Ranger, Warrior, Engineer
Champion: Phantom, Hunter, Legionnaire, Genius
WvW rank: Diamond Colonel | Maguuma

Posted by: Bloo oo ka choo.8450

Bloo oo ka choo.8450

I don’t really have an issue with 100% rep guilds, but I’ve noticed that a lot of the previous 100% rep WvW guilds have stopped enforcing it (because the guilds are fine with their members repping other WvW guilds on their non-raid nights or when their raids are cancelled).

There are benefits to 100% rep – such as always knowing what’s up in your guild, being aware of changes that happen on the fly, last minute cancellations, and never missing out on guild events. If you’re in a friendly guild, then you’re also bound to make new friends and always have a wonderful place to ask questions. (But if you’re in a guild where people don’t participate in events or do things together, then this wouldn’t be a primary concern of yours.)

I feel less connected to the other members in non-100% rep guilds because I don’t talk to them or see them as much, and I definitely feel the 100% rep guilds have a tighter community (in my experience). There are, of course, those really awful guilds that are going to be terrible no matter what.

As others have mentioned, if you really feel offended by such a simple thing then maybe this guild isn’t meant for you.

Posted by: NonToxic.9185

NonToxic.9185

A good guild earns your 100% rep through info, activity, or fine company.

A bad guild demands your 100%.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

—snip—

I see your point. In the case of the 4 man guild. Honestly the first thing we’d do would be to try and get the other 3 people to join us. That way they are all still in the same guild. But beyond that honestly we would work with someone if that was their situation. We’re extremely understanding about things like that, and have a Guest rank we can use if someone wants to be a member and is OK having no real guild privileges.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

I think a lot of this discussion boils down to the old D&D LAW vs CHAOS philosophy and some players have no problem with being expected to act one way while others feel a loss of “freedom” is against their very nature. It’s less about actually REPing the guild 100% but more about being told you are expected to (at least that’s what kind of ruffles my feathers anyway).

I have no issue with a Guild being 100% rep, but I wouldn’t join and their leadership should be fully aware that they are losing potentially great members by doing so (and I’m sure they are). The world takes all kinds and so does Tyria.

I agree that a guild should strive to obtain 100% rep thru it’s actions and members rather than a “rule”, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say having those rules make them a “bad” Guild.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: edgarallanpwn.8739

edgarallanpwn.8739

This game has a bad system in this regard, more so for me in terms of alliances. Most of my guild is in a different timezone and most active when I’m at work so a while back I thought I’d join a few oceanic guilds to meet other players in my timezone.

Nek minnut I can’t communicate unless repping while most of the guilds I joined stated this is not a requirement to then usually change their tune after a few days and require repping to stay in the guild, which will never happen as I’m fiercely loyal to my original guild and friends there.

What’s the point of joining another guild if you can’t even friggin say hello unless repping?

This game needs a proper alliance system and chat option as it had in GW1. The current system does anything but promote people getting together and playing…..in an MMO.

Actually promoting is EXACTLY what it does. It just doesn’t support you wanting to be friends with EVERYONE in the game.

realistically theres not a need for you to be a part of multiple guilds for more than 1 time, which is why they allow you to switch.

Most other games have a way harder process to switch guilds and mass chat, so…

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

This seems like such a non-issue. If you don’t want to be part of a 100% rep guild, and that guild insists, you can leave.

Simple.

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: Jaymee.1560

Jaymee.1560

Eh, I dunno… Can’t really say it’s wrong, so to speak, but do know that it is not widely popular, at least among the players that I interact with. I am apart of several guilds. One is major, one has a HIGH roster count, and that guild never demands required repping.

I suppose it’s just left up to the leader of the guild as to how he/she wants their guild to perform.

Personally, I think it’s… kinda foolish in a way… This is game, it’s not a job and to restrict your guild members to have to rep your guild 24/7… to me… sounds like a job.

Last thing I wanna do is long on my game and have my guild demand that I have to do this or have to do that. But that’s the beauty of it too… I don’t HAVE to be in a 100% rep guild.

I use to be a Ritualist and a Paragon in my former life…

Posted by: Arclight.9437

Arclight.9437

Late to the party, but this topic strikes a nerve with me.

Because Anet allows players to join 5 guilds at one time, then no guild should be allowed to require more than 20% representation. Any more prevents players from taking advantage of an in game ability. I realize it’s impossible to enforce…..a guild leader can say he kicked you for any reason……but I do wish Anet would at least mandate that guilds couldn’t state any requirement more than 20%. Just my 0.02.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Doesn’t really bother me

I honestly don’t see the point in being in more than 1 guild anyway..
since representing rewards the guild with influence etc then frankly it makes sense why guilds would go with a 100% rep rule

I know some people who join very focused Guilds. They have one guild that is focused solely on WvW, another guild focused only on Dungeons, another on PvP, and another on general PvE. Having focused guilds soley for 1 aspect of the game can make it easier and more efficient for those particular activities.

edgarallanpwn.8739

Late to the party, but this topic strikes a nerve with me.

Because Anet allows players to join 5 guilds at one time, then no guild should be allowed to require more than 20% representation. Any more prevents players from taking advantage of an in game ability. I realize it’s impossible to enforce…..a guild leader can say he kicked you for any reason……but I do wish Anet would at least mandate that guilds couldn’t state any requirement more than 20%. Just my 0.02.

if you can seriously devote yourself to 5 guilds with good intentions and be useful in each guild, you probably play this game way too much, and fit the extremes that 90% of regular people wont.

Most people wont have a need to be in more than 1 or 2 guilds max.

1 social guild
1 guild that actually does events/pve or pvp

Posted by: Pockets.3201

Pockets.3201

At the very least, if a guild wants 100% of your rep they should be able to meet 100% of your guild type needs.

Only fair.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

They should just make it that when you are representing one guild, you do not even show as online with the guild you are not representing.

Dave.2536

They should just make it that when you are representing one guild, you do not even show as online with the guild you are not representing.

Yes. Let’s make it so people who could use a reminder that Garrison being attacked by 50+ enemy force or that guild missions are in 30 minutes can no longer be informed because someone got their feelings hurt about possibly choosing to join a guild whose rules he disagrees with.

All hail kneejerk solutions and celebrate that the people proposing them are nowhere near positions of power and influence in this game.

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

you don’t like their policy? then leave!

seriously, people complain about the most trivial bullkitten these days.

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Posted by: Arclight.9437

Arclight.9437

if you can seriously devote yourself to 5 guilds with good intentions and be useful in each guild, you probably play this game way too much, and fit the extremes that 90% of regular people wont.

1 social guild

And yet the 5 guild option has been in the game since day one, so Anet obviously sees a reason for it for the masses. The nerve of you to make a judgment call on how much someone other than yourself plays this game. That’s not your place. There are players that like to experience all parts of the game at different times, but no one guild is all things to all people. This seems to go double for these 100% rep guilds. (The few I’ve been in did very little other that hoard the guild bank donations.) One guild may claim to be a PVE guild, but they don’t do dungeons or fractals. Another guild may be all about dungeons and fractals, but could care less about other PVE events. Some guilds are strictly PVP. Some are RP guilds. And then there’s the popular personal bank guild. Now that’s 5 guilds right there. The ability to join 5 guilds gives the player flexibility and options to experience the game on his terms that guild leaders requiring 100% rep wrongly interfere with. (Shoulder shrug.) We agree to disagree.

Posted by: captainteemo.6537

captainteemo.6537

My first guild in this game was pretty much the same experience. But, the bottom line is you volunteer your time in this game. If a guild helps you, then spend time with them. If you enjoy that guild then spend more time with them. Your time is another currency that a guild farms in this game.

Guilds that provide their members with help and support to fulfill each person’s individual needs (it can be in game goals or just social needs) won’t need to enforce representation.

Try turning off your guild tag and see how many invites you get.

Dave.2536

People here aren’t even arguing the same thing.

Some here are arguing for/against “100% rep requirement is a bad idea” and others for/against “100% rep requirement should be illegal”

edgarallanpwn.8739

1 social guild

And yet the 5 guild option has been in the game since day one, so Anet obviously sees a reason for it for the masses. The nerve of you to make a judgment call on how much someone other than yourself plays this game. That’s not your place. There are players that like to experience all parts of the game at different times, but no one guild is all things to all people. This seems to go double for these 100% rep guilds. (The few I’ve been in did very little other that hoard the guild bank donations.) One guild may claim to be a PVE guild, but they don’t do dungeons or fractals. Another guild may be all about dungeons and fractals, but could care less about other PVE events. Some guilds are strictly PVP. Some are RP guilds. And then there’s the popular personal bank guild. Now that’s 5 guilds right there. The ability to join 5 guilds gives the player flexibility and options to experience the game on his terms that guild leaders requiring 100% rep wrongly interfere with. (Shoulder shrug.) We agree to disagree.

Actually i can make that judgement because its a fact. Someone who plays a couple hours a week wouldn’t have ANY time to be a part of the “5guild quota” you speak of since anet gave us 5 we HAVE TO use 5 apparently.

It would require a player who spends a great deal of time to be “actively” a part of 5 different guilds.

I don’t call active, popping in for 5 minutes and saying hi. you can do that through pm.

You don’t need 5 guilds.

Everything you’re bringing up is a problem with your guilds, not the system.

" One guild may claim to be a PVE guild, but they don’t do dungeons or fractals. Another guild may be all about dungeons and fractals, but could care less about other PVE events. Some guilds are strictly PVP. Some are RP guilds. "

then you need to join the right guilds. Having 5 guilds because you can’t find a guild that fits your needs and you mismatch for the wrong reasons has nothing to do with the system.

At the same time, if a guild wants 100% rep, then they better offer what i need. That takes the guesswork out of having 15 different guilds as you say too.

Wow is bound by the exact same constraints and has been for years, and you can only join 1 guild there, so why hasn’t it been a big problem there?

Because people find a guild that fits their needs and they stick with it.

Unless this game is dying out, i dont see a reason to have 1 guild for every little thing unless it would be Elitist groups who specifically only do certain zone fractals and nothing else etc. But again those are extremes, and extreme variants are not what the majority of data is based upon.

The personal bank guild is one that im glad you reminded me of. That’s one i could seep happening. that’s an issue with bank space and need for materials realistically, and creating a guild as a solution, i wonder if that was anets original intention for the “guild limit” or if they just stuck with it.

Doesn’t really bother me

I honestly don’t see the point in being in more than 1 guild anyway..
since representing rewards the guild with influence etc then frankly it makes sense why guilds would go with a 100% rep rule

I know some people who join very focused Guilds. They have one guild that is focused solely on WvW, another guild focused only on Dungeons, another on PvP, and another on general PvE. Having focused guilds soley for 1 aspect of the game can make it easier and more efficient for those particular activities.

This is understandable, but if a guild is only offering x features, then they need to realize people may want to do other things OR also…

If the player is joining a specialized guild like that, that may be more refined, they may want dedication because theyre a “top pvp guild” etc. And if that’s what theyre going for thats ok, they can require 100% rep. It just means its not the guild for you.

This is why lfg and other things exist too.

Ill bring up wow again. They had a 1guild only system and its been great for years. Why does it work there and not here?

(edited by edgarallanpwn.8739)

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

It is understandable for the guild desire 100% rep.

My experience was that, i was interested by a big guild. I have built my own guild with real life friends and i am very loyal to my guild. Therefore when the guild master invited me, i told him i will offer 1 of my alt to be 100% rep.

I was endup got warned and kicked when i was on my other characters.

The guild system is currently flawed. If it allow us multi guild, it has to be character based, and allow us to hide our online status when playing different character that belongs to different guild. I treated all my characters individually and if i have any alt joined any guild, that character will be loyal to that particular guild unless gaining access to the original guild bank.

Since then i never joined any guild that require 100% rep, because it is so much annoying to have to show myself as offline everytime i play other characters.

Posted by: PaxTheGreatOne.9472

PaxTheGreatOne.9472

Well I understand guilds get influence based on completed activities (read world bosses, events in pve/wvw, battles in pvp) and therefore it shouldn’t matter. Unless you have a guild filled only with people who log in and spam chat in LA the whole day and log off again. (flippers?)

23 lvl 80’s, 9 times map, 4ele, 4ncr, 3war, 3grd, 3rgr, 2thf, 2msm, 1eng, 1 rev.
Been There, Done That & Will do it again…except maybe world completion.