PvE Culling...

PvE Culling...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

This is the thread for the PvE culling that we are currently seeing now ingame and things related to invisible monsters and/or players and/or their special effects.

I actually was putting up with it for a couple of months thinking that you would turn it back off and were just tryng something out. It seems however that maybe in your attempts to improve latency during the special events last year, you inadvertantly introduced an awful culling issue that appears ALL the time.. Either it was this or its actually an improvement all of itself that has failed.

You see I was standing there in Lions Arch looking at the forge and I couldent even see the people by the forge having fun..

I am finding the culling in this game during PvE extremley immersion breaking and im sure I am not alone here.. Its hella nnoying when your doing guild missions etc and I call on you to please review the culling in PvE as well as Wv3..

Thankyou, please feel free to addd your experiences of PvE encounters where culling has ruined your game.

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

PvE Culling...

Posted by: SouthernCross.5286

SouthernCross.5286

I understand how this can ruin PvP, but in PvE it doesn’t bothers me since fellow players are not a threat, I mean ideally there would be no culling but if some of it is necessary so I can at least participate in a dragon event even if at 5 fps, or reduce loading times from minutes to seconds then so be it.

PvE Culling...

Posted by: CHOAM.7852

CHOAM.7852

If we ever have another event similar to the Ancient Karka attacking Lion’s Arch, PvE culling may be all that stands between some players and total immobility.

PvE Culling...

Posted by: Jezath.7395

Jezath.7395

yeh but i dont think it should be as heavy as it is right now its absolutley awful. It kills the feeling of a server being populated. This is the root cause of somepeople going to overflows yet saying there server seems emtpy. Of course its seeming empty if all the players are culled away, do you see my point here?

You see the culling is at a level constantly, why not compromise and perhaps have it switched onprior to large events that may cause this lag and turn it off when its not needed..

Surely this option is preferable?

Tis not what they can do for you
Tis only what you can do for all

PvE Culling...

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

It is absolutely ridiculous as it stands right now. Even roleplay has been affected heavily by it. Having people disappear from in front of you when there are only 6 people around is just messed up.

PvE Culling...

Posted by: Noctura.3908

Noctura.3908

I kinda wandered around looking for people wondering why I was in an overflow server when I saw no one around. It is pretty lame, and I miss seeing other people running around. It is pretty boring all around the world thinking you are totally alone. It is so bad some days that I feel like i am doing a group event by myself, and literally can’t see anyone other then my party members. I know it was not like this when the game launched. It was an amazing experience seeing people fighting all over and all the different abilities going off. I enjoyed saving people in trouble and helping others fight multiple enemies, but I can’t see anyone now. The community has vanished, and we are all ghosts in the game. If one person talks to me, I will be really surprised, because I honestly think no one can see me anymore… T_T

PvE Culling...

Posted by: Neb.4170

Neb.4170

Seems like culling just gets worse and worse. It’s so bad at this point, moving your camera around slightly makes people appear and reappear like crazy.

PvE Culling...

Posted by: Lord Kreegan.8123

Lord Kreegan.8123

Go into the bank building in Lions Arch and time how long it takes for the NPCs to appear, not just other players… even the main central graphic isn’t there initially.

Go into the trading post and time how long it takes for the NPCs to appear, much less the other players. You’ll see the little icons (the scales) that are over the NPCs heads a good ten seconds before the NPCs appear.

…and that’s a peaceful area.

In hostile zones, I no longer have any confidence in my situational awareness — bad enough already because of the kitten camera — because now mobs may be present — even attacking me — and I’m not going to see them.

PvE Culling...

Posted by: Akhellan.4180

Akhellan.4180

I understand how this can ruin PvP, but in PvE it doesn’t bothers me since fellow players are not a threat, I mean ideally there would be no culling but if some of it is necessary so I can at least participate in a dragon event even if at 5 fps, or reduce loading times from minutes to seconds then so be it.

Unfortunately it is not only causing friendlies to be invisible. I’ve already run into several situations where hostile NPCs have been completely invisible to me until they initiated combat. These were not respawns out of thin air — they were culled as evidenced by the fact their names/details were visible but the characters themselves were not.

Normally, I play with all character names off except for players to improve immersion but this issue has on occasion forced me to turn the names for NPCs back on to save me unecessary repair bills.

I really hope the devs can do something to curb this seemingly worsening problem.

PvE Culling...

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

It is at an all time low for me too, i’ve been almost killed twice since the last patch, by multiple mobs appearing out of thin air on me, its insane at this time, i never had any of these issues when Guildwars 2 opened…

The Veteran karkas appearing out of no where was last time i visit south sun, till its fixed..

PvE Culling...

Posted by: Beeca.9467

Beeca.9467

I have never seen a game where culling is this bad , Anet you should really do someting about this it effects every part of the game right now.

So what is it is their server gear that bad and cheap or what?

I have played a few games now and have never seen anything this bad as lag and culling.

80-Ranger/80-Necro/80-Warrior/
80-Guardian /80- Mesmer