PvE Unfriendly fire

PvE Unfriendly fire

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

It’s true that there isn’t much way to deal with real griefing going on (easy example: people who take over turrets at Tequatl and refuse to actually use them, just firing into the ground next to their turret throughout the event instead of spearing Teq or clearing poison). Outside of reporting such players, there’s not a whole lot players can do about this kind of thing. Nor should their be; as frustrating as that is to think about, any mechanic that could be added that would enable players to moderate the activity of other players would always, inevitably be used for griefing and trolling more consistently than it would dealing with trolls and griefers. Instead of preventing this kind of behavior it would only enable worse forms of the same.

This is, of course, beside the point when the request is brought about by someone who encourages exploiting a game design flaw for personal gain over playing the game as intended and rather selfishly insists he should be able to remove players who disagree with his philosophy on how to play from the game.

You are exactly the kind of person who should never have powers over another player.

This is one reason why open-world raiding (essentially what Teq is, albeit not the hardest of raids) is a difficult beast to design. If Teq was in an instance, you could just kick the people who are griefing/trolling mechanics and do the fight at your own pace.

(I’m not saying GW2 should have instanced raiding, mind you – just talking about one of the tough parts of making open-world stuff work.)

Or words to that effect.

PvE Unfriendly fire

Posted by: Shjade.4697

Shjade.4697

Yeah, it has certain difficulties. Teq turrets are a big vulnerability in that regard, worse than Boss Blitz mob-training since that can at least be dealt with (albeit with great difficulty). There’s not much you can do about Teq constantly stacking his scales and popping bone walls except hope you can out-burn the timer. Fortunately it’s rare to see more than one or two people trying to do this at a time, so I haven’t seen it derail an attempt yet…but it could happen.

The only way I see something like this being manageable is having Squad-restricted participation. By which I mean something like only members of a commander’s squad can use the objects involved in the event and/or damage/draw agro from mobs spawned by the event. That’d also require commanders having a lot more control over who is allowed to join their squad and having the ability to remove players from their squad if needed compared to what they have now – which is basically the ability to take a roll call and nothing else – but I think that’s the direction I’d go to try tackling this problem.

Of course, that proposition would only apply to events that are triggered – guild-specific spawns of Tequatl as compared to the times he appears on his own, for instance – but hey, it’d be a start, right?

PvE Unfriendly fire

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

What’s stopping me from forming a troll guild with the sole purpose of PK’ing newbies in Queensdale?

Because I have faith that good players far outweigh the grievers. And, please do create a guild and consolidate all the bad players (Not that you are). Either way, it then brings GvG to PvE! Which, I’m really surprised you figured that out so fast, GJ.

Either way, the game is going ever further down hill. When 1 or 2 people can derail what 40+ players are doing, it’s not a good design. I thought Anet would learn but, they just keep enabling grieving.

LOL omg this idea is like a WoW PvP server is now, organised Ganking, no other word for it …. and belongs in WoW Not GW2

PvE Unfriendly fire

Posted by: LadySwan.8751

LadySwan.8751

Commin from a game where open world PVP (no consent needed) was allowed and GVG I have to say that this is a bad idea. Yes its fun to some extent but it really isnt a good idea over all unless players have to give consent, cause otherwise your just putting more power in the hands of those trolls and ppl who like to kitten round with other ppl.
Whose to stop them from goin after your train of ppl and picking them off or to go round attking ppl who are just tryna lvl. Thats wat would happen in the game I came from . Ppl would spend time tryin to grind and lvl up and a troll would just come by and kill the whole group .
Its not all that fun unless consents given.

PvE Unfriendly fire

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Have no fear, OP. Anet heard you, and is preparing a fix
As i said they will.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

PvE Unfriendly fire

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

This …. empowers the community to take care of trolls.

Think about this for 5 more seconds, please.

Which leads to the conclusion:

It also empowers trolls to grief whoever they want even more. Also I wouldn’t call a group of players ganking on 1 player “dueling”. Sorry but this couldn’t be a worst idea.

anyway…

Because I have faith that good players far outweigh the grievers. And, please do create a guild and consolidate all the bad players (Not that you are).

I honestly can’t remember the quote or it’s source but allow me to try anyway: Do you know why the world is doom? Takes an army of people months to build a skyscraper and just 1 person with a bomb to bring it all down.

They’re not grieving you, they’re "playing the game.

Playing the game as intended even.

lol there are no grievers in PvE. What there is are people playing a game that they paid for and a bunch of kitten farmers who are constantly upset that they can’t easily exploit bad game design for profit…

And the best part is no one is able to see things from the other sides point of view. It’s hysterical. The farms think their in the right, the grievers think their in the right. I don’t know who’s in the right though but I do know it’s horribly entertaining.

Hate to say it, but the best solution here is just pointing out to Anet content that is vulnerable to being trolled/grieved and hope that they make it better.

Exactly what was done and then ANet decided with the grievers and decided to nerf the farming. So I’m not under the impression that this is a valuable strategy for farmers.

It doesn’t matter what they say as long as they are not obscene.

Speaking from personal experience obscene is in the eye of the mod (which means obscene could be anything from me calling you a poo-poo head to a kittening kitten who’s mother kittens kittens all kittening kitten… kitten!).

The WoW episode of South Park comes to mind after reading this.

Which never made sense because unlike GW2 you don’t down level so you can only kills boars for so long until you don’t get anymore XP.

(edited by CureForLiving.5360)

PvE Unfriendly fire

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Because I have faith that good players far outweigh the grievers.

GW 2 your first MMO then? If something like this were implemented there are players whose entire existence in this game would be to run around Queensdale and gank. Trolls and people who grief will always be part of MMOs. What sense does it make to actually give them the tools to make trolling easier.

PvE Unfriendly fire

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Because I have faith that good players far outweigh the grievers.

GW 2 your first MMO then? If something like this were implemented there are players whose entire existence in this game would be to run around Queensdale and gank. Trolls and people who grief will always be part of MMOs. What sense does it make to actually give them the tools to make trolling easier.

lol, he extrapolates from Cursed Shore and assumes that because that zone has 40-50 people trolled by 3-4 that, if we reverse roles, the ratio will remain and it will be 3 trolls getting obliterated by 30 good guys who just want to vegetate in CS in peace.

When in reality, every sociopath who plays WvW simply to gank newbies who have no chance at beating them would coalesce into a Katamari of pure, weapons-grade trollonium and completely shutdown the whole character creation process by instagibing every person who spawns in the exact spot you appear after the intro instance.

The amount of people who are jerks is far out weighed by the people who aren’t. It’s just that the jerks happen to far outweigh the portion of good people who care enough to do anything about it.

Hence, theses kinds of things happen and it’s often hilarious to watch from the sidelines. http://www.tentonhammer.com/eve/guides/combat/hulkageddon-4

Probably not the best example since so many of the hulks are bots and blown up ships helps spur the game’s economy but it was the first that came to mind. It also holds parallels with people confusing griefing with completely condoned game play.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

PvE Unfriendly fire

Posted by: Acinonyx Rex.8609

Acinonyx Rex.8609

The problem is not the event, the problem is the players. Most of them are poorly minded manichean who believe to hold the truth.
Some of them are convinced they know the ONLY way the game should be played and see themself as justiciars or prophets, they are proud of their trolling.
Some others are convinced they know the BEST way to farm gold, and should be allowed to work like a chineese bot (no offense toward chineeses or robots, i love them both).
Some people could argue it’s a matter of age, and the game should be sold to adult only, but a lot of “adult” are very childish. Look at all theses people who tell you : You should’nt eat meat, it’s not healthy, vegetables are the only way to go. You should’nt drink alcohol, you should’nt smoke, you shouldn’t have sex with more than one person (in your life or at a time, it depends on people). You know why you should’nt do all theses thnigs ? Because I know for sure how you should live, and I’m kind enough to tell you.
The fact is the only solution is to pass an examination of philosophy before each session play. Something like : “Explain why a society needs different minds and points of view to survive ?”
Edit: If someone has better english skills than me, please be kind to help me correct my mistakes

PvE Unfriendly fire

Posted by: Aetheldrake.6395

Aetheldrake.6395

this is not WoW…we dont need pvp servers