PvE does not equal dungeons

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Thothkepara.2539

Thothkepara.2539

I’ll be brief. I have no problem with the dungeon/grouping concept by choice, but I’ve had it with new dungeons being the only answer to continued PvE development in the game.

Why does every major PvE concept, whether Personal Story, Living Story or special events have to end with forced group instancing? I’d like to complete my personal story, Flame & Frost and experience Super Adventure Box on my time without having to deal with the random and varied expectations of strangers, much less their schedules.

Grouping for anything should be a choice, not a requirement.

Give me slower progression, less reward per run. I don’t care. It gives me something to do when I play. As it stands, you only produce walls which actively discourage me from playing the game.

Posted by: Milennin.4825

Milennin.4825

If you don’t like strangers, why not play them with your friends? Or with people in your guild?

Just who the hell do you think I am!?

Posted by: Khairos.3890

Khairos.3890

It’s an MMO, you have to expect group content.

Helia – Stormbluff Isle – [MORD]

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

I don’t like dungeons, but mainly because most of them are designed very poorly and jerks like to kick other players right at the end, before getting any reward.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Not the OP, but speaking for myself.

It’s not that I don’t like strangers, it’s just that i don’t like doing instanced content with strangers, or people in general for that matter. It’s too bad that i don’t have any rl friends/relatives that play this game, but I have seen all the drama/issues that go in on dungeons through guild chat, and reading these forums, and I don’t want any part in it.

it’s not like MMO’s are all about instances, I group with people, just not in dungeons. :p

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Why play an MMO if you don’t like to play with people?

Posted by: Ruprect.7260

Ruprect.7260

I’ll be brief. I have no problem with the dungeon/grouping concept by choice, but I’ve had it with new dungeons being the only answer to continued PvE development in the game.

Why does every major PvE concept, whether Personal Story, Living Story or special events have to end with forced group instancing? I’d like to complete my personal story, Flame & Frost and experience Super Adventure Box on my time without having to deal with the random and varied expectations of strangers, much less their schedules.

Give me slower progression, less reward per run. I don’t care. It gives me something to do when I play. As it stands, you only produce walls which actively discourage me from playing the game.

Hmmmm… MMO – Massively Multiplayer

This would tell me that I should be playing with others. There are games made for crabby people that don’t like to group up and they are called SPRPG’s.

By the way, the super adventure box can be done solo, it scales down lol.

Ruprect – [DIS] Dissentient
Mesmer/Elementalist/Guardian/Necromancer/Warrior
[TC] Tarnished Coast

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

I have the same feeling but for opposite reasons. I want large groups doing these things. A max party of 5 isn’t massively multiplayer at all.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I like playing with others. Certain others. At certain times. Otherwise, I’d rather play solo. Being able to play through any content solo or with a group would be ideal. Being restricted to one or the other would not be ideal.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I have the same feeling but for opposite reasons. I want large groups doing these things. A max party of 5 isn’t massively multiplayer at all.

I liked the 8-member teams we had over in CoH (and in parts of GW).

The table is a fable.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Indeed, 5 players max parties disappointed me greatly. I mean Diablo 2, which isn’t even an MMO, had 8 player parties in which the difficulty scaled.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Mirta.5029

Mirta.5029

I don’t really like people. I’m not incredibly social and remember plenty of bad runs where if someone died I was blamed and immediately kicked off. However there are good runs that I’ve done, where people joked around, where we all were having fun, it made me feel at ease and I didn’t care that they’re strangers. Every day I’m doing a fractal daily. Sometimes I risk being kicked by going with a group, sometimes I make my own group. Some days it brings me some frustration and negative emotions, sometimes it makes me glad that I’ve gone there. I just decide to remember the good runs and continue doing the content.
It’s an MMO, we shouldn’t complain about playing with others, yeah bad runs happen, but good runs happen too.

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I like 5 player instances because it’s enough that there are interesting strategies, but it’s not so many that it’s a zerg of people swarming over mobs like an ocean. If I want my 40 player raid-experience, I do WvW.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: Stooperdale.3560

Stooperdale.3560

“Why does every major PvE concept, whether Personal Story, Living Story or special events have to end with forced group instancing?”

It doesn’t. There is one story dungeon at the end of the personal story. There is going to be one story dungeon at the end of this portion of living story. The last portion of living story, involving the karka, consisted of a series of world events and player feedback has probably persuaded the developers not to do the same again.

I suppose the bottom line is that if some challenging content (dungeons) are added to story lines then some players will have to change their play styles to get them done. If no challenging content is added to the game then players log off permanently.

(edited by Stooperdale.3560)

Posted by: Leablo.2651

Leablo.2651

This is a non-argument.

Because you like to play against other people.
Because you like trading with other people.
Because you like watching other people.

In most MMOs, you spend most of the time doing activities and interacting with fewer people than you would on an FPS server. From a gameplay perspective, playing with other people is rarely the point of playing an MMO.

Posted by: SmudgerUK.4715

SmudgerUK.4715

MMO just means there are a lot of people playing, there’s no real requirement to team up with anyone out there in PVE and the personal story shouldn’t have ended with such a requirement.
I went through the bulk of the personal story teamed with two people and it would’ve been nice to finish off that chapter with just those same two people, but ANet didn’t want me to, so I get where the OP is coming from.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

SAB says its group content, but its 100% soloable. Don’t let the group tag keep you from doing it.

As for the other stuff… I agree. Obviously dungeons ARE going to exist in the game, as well as other occassions that are going to require grouping. Its a multiplayer game, grouping and playing with others is a core factor. I certainly don’t think ALL content needs to be solo-centric.

But if something is largely solo to begin with (as the personal story and the Living Story up until this point have been) then it should remain that way. If you start a storyline or something solo, you should be able to finish it solo as well, don’t just pull the rug out and switch up the format halfway through.

Posted by: FangedTerror.3852

FangedTerror.3852

Just an fyi, SAB can be done completly solo. i do it all the time.

Otherwise no one is forcing you into the dungeons. So don’t want to group? enjoy something else, there is a large world out there inTyria. For each person that hates grouping I bet there are 5 that enjoy it.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

That the way it was in GW1 it was nothing but dungeons though it was no an mmorpg. The thing is GW2 has a lot more then just dungeons there is a great deal of open world events its just dungeons tend to be the fastest way to level up so if your in a rush they end to be a good places to run if you want to enjoy the game you may want to stay with open world.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

per Colin Johanson:

“Open world online games are always strongest when players are encouraged and rewarded to interact as a community, to support other each other, and when the flow of the game ushers players to go places where they run into other players across all levels and have shared experiences.”

that is why

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Lambent.6375

5 man dungeons = community? Seems that quote is better fitting to people having to interact to open up temples, and complete certain meta events.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Ah the old solo Vs required group in MMO debate.

Some of us play at odd times so our guild, who we see on weekends, aren’t on so we can’t team with them and hanging out at a dungeon entrance wearing a LFG sign doesn’t lead to the best teams, often teams who only speedrun (so watching the cut scenes for the first time are out) and aren’t interested in doing the story portion. The game needs NPC mercs for hire at these times.

One of the problem is that everywhere else in this game, teams/parties, aren’t required. It’s a loose band of players in the area collectively participating in an event, no need for a formal team. That’s addictive because I can go and do what I want and still “team” to take down bigger critters. With dungeon stories I’m forced to find 4 other like minded individuals and that’s tough in a world of speedruns for loot and gold.

Maybe they should have a 2nd enterance for Dungeon Stories so like minded players can find others who are looking to do the story rather than trying to sort through the chaff of speedrunners.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Ayrilana.1396

This is a non-argument.

In most MMOs, you spend most of the time doing activities and interacting with fewer people than you would on an FPS server. From a gameplay perspective, playing with other people is rarely the point of playing an MMO.

Have you played other MMO’s? You generally team up for most content that is considered endgame.

Krosslite.1950

This is a non-argument.

Have you played other MMO’s? You generally team up for most content that is considered endgame.

DEs are considered endgame by Anet

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: HELLruler.4820

HELLruler.4820

I’ve been playing MMOs for 7 years or so, and I’ve never seem a “social” MMO like GW2. The game is very group-based, and it’s really easy to find people to do things with you.

I understand that you want to do some stuff by yourself, I’d love to be able to do dungeons story mode alone too, but since the game forces me to play with others, I party up. Sometimes you have to put up with the things; if you can’t, I’m sorry, but you should search for another MMO

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

per Colin Johanson:

“Open world online games are always strongest when players are encouraged and rewarded to interact as a community, to support other each other, and when the flow of the game ushers players to go places where they run into other players across all levels and have shared experiences.”

that is why

Way to go fail, linking an out of context quote. Tell me, what “Open World” content requires grouping? There are “group” DEs.. but they don’t require grouping, just a mass of people, or not since some can be soloed. He was talking about Dynamic Events, not 5 man instanced dungeons. Huge difference.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

This would tell me that I should be playing with others. There are games made for crabby people that don’t like to group up and they are called SPRPG’s.

Love the “M in MMO” crowd. Playing with others does not mean grouping. In ten years of supposed “M in MMO” games I’ve spent the bulk of my time ungrouped, crafting, exploring, traveling, leveling, etc, yet still interacting with other players.

Never fails to amuse me when brought up. Funnier still that most of the big MMOs have an “automatically reject group invites” checkbox as well. Now, if MMO means “group” why do they do that?

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

it’s fun on it’s own without people most of the time

Elyl Jrend

Posted by: the moidart.3612

the moidart.3612

It would be nice if the dungeons could scale down by group size. Especially since a lot of them are just not done, especially when its not peak time. I’d like to try all the dungeons in story and exp, but the thought of having to find a group and be judged by elitists who expect everyone to know the route, enemies, and tactics is galling.

The Fire and Frost instances are actually a good example of how dungeons should be – they scale to group size and are quite possible, but not too easy, to solo. Even scaled down, a lot of dungeons will be hard for singles simply due to loss of dynamic combo factors. But this would incentivize creation of self sufficient builds instead of just going “full ‘zerkers’”.

If the devs want us to ‘play our way’, they should be a little more accommodating.

Posted by: Claudius.5381

Claudius.5381

Skyrim is a good solo rpg, if you don’t like group content. Try it!

Ruprect.7260

Love the “M in MMO” crowd. Playing with others does not mean grouping. In ten years of supposed “M in MMO” games I’ve spent the bulk of my time ungrouped, crafting, exploring, traveling, leveling, etc, yet still interacting with other players.

Never fails to amuse me when brought up. Funnier still that most of the big MMOs have an “automatically reject group invites” checkbox as well. Now, if MMO means “group” why do they do that?

Please name one big MMO that does not require grouping to get end game gear. Besides GW2.

This is the least social game out there and the OP still has a problem with it. I don’t think MMO’s are for the OP.

[TC] Tarnished Coast

Lambent.6375

Dark Age of Camelot. :x (well, it used to be big)

Correct me if I’m wrong OP, but I think he has a problem with grouping in dungeons or instanced content, but not grouping in general.

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Please name one big MMO that does not require grouping to get end game gear. Besides GW2.

This is the least social game out there and the OP still has a problem with it. I don’t think MMO’s are for the OP.

So, you define all MMO gameplay down to getting “end game gear” Oki Doki.

Ruprect.7260

You don’t play to progress? Why level/craft/or anything then?

[TC] Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Bogartan.2756

Bogartan.2756

I haven’t done any dungeons at all. I don’t like dungeon gameplay, so I haven’t finished my Personal Story. I don’t plan to either. I guess Zaitan lives on in my world, which explains why the Risen are still all over the place.

Sorrow’s Furnace
{SN} Sentimental Nightmares
Darsveth, Warrior – Dexter Oliver, Thief

Teofa Tsavo.9863

Are you serious? By your definition then, only Raiders matter in games that have Raids. A common raider attitude, but false. I play for fun? And I don’t do “not fun”.
BTW, my crafter WS never grouped in SWG once, and there was no “Endgame” item she couldn’t buy, from Crafting money. Oops.

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

It seems to me that the contention in this issue is tied largely to the decision by Anet to conclude the personal story in a 5-player dungeon group. Absent that, I don’t see the issue. If you like dungeons…do dungeons. Run with your friends, guildies, or in PUGs. If you don’t care for dungeon play, do other things. GW2 is incredibly diverse and has lots to do. I have played a number of MMOs and this is by far the most friendly to those who choose not to do dungeons and the like.

As for the personal story – Anet has already made the decision that Zhaitan is killed in a dungeon by a group of five. This obviously creates “winners” and “losers.” Those that like the dungeon play are happy…those that don’t are obviously disappointed. A compromise that pleased at least a few more people might have been to have the “Personal Story” end before the last fight in the dungeon…with a note that “…it is now time to join other heroes for the final confrontation…” Allow those that worked their story to that point to get the achievement for the “Personal Story” completion. Those that go on to the 5-man instance get an additional achievement, titles, better gear…whatever.

Having suffered through the Blizz forums for years, I hate to see this community divide itself along the same lines. GW2 does indeed seem to live up to much of its promise to provide something for everyone and to make the world experience much more meaningful than other MMOs. The biggest challenge that I see (from a decidedly mediocre (at best) player) is to avoid the model that Blizz has taken – “all roads lead to the raid (or dungeon in this case).”

Having dungeons is great…having multiple difficulties is good, I guess. I would never advocate that they remove them or nerf them just for players like me. I am okay that some content is beyond my ability…no complaints. I just hope that Anet doesn’t take the approach that they need to convince me to like dungeons. Been there…done that…got the scars to prove it.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

What on earth does grouping for dungoens have to do with being social? Dungeon runners are the most antisocial people i ever met. Faster, skip, skip, faster, drama, drama, whine, whine, skip faster, faster, skip, skip, drama, kick. Yeah social as kitten :P

Posted by: Seraki.2753

Seraki.2753

I agree with the OP. GW2 is moving away from one of its best start up features. Ive experienced a lot of abusive behavior from some groups and guilds in my gaming history and its really nice to be able to do things with people and take more time to get to know them. Course other games have sort of trained people to not bother but that’s another would be thread. I do see a few trying now and then.

I also see the WoW type slam bam thanks for the run man mentality … a lot. Whats the point of being in a group if many don’t even say hello. Oh yea there’s the make believe stuff we get, but that kind of flies in the face of telling people to group for social reasons.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

From the time this topic was made until right now, you could have finished the final story mode dungeon 3 times.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Ordika.9513

Ordika.9513

I would be interesting if all Story progressing activities were soloable, even dungeons.

Take AC story, both Eir and Rytlock accompany you through this dungeon. Now let’s say that for every member less then 5 an additional member of Destiny’s Edge shows up as well. Then you scale down the dungeon difficulty, say all trash are converted to appropriate level (30 in the case of AC) Veteran’s and Bosses are no tougher then say a starter zone Champion. This would allow for all story content to be done at ones leisure.

To me this could also lead to some creativity in the dungeons as you could ramp up a lot of difficult for solo play via jumping puzzles or environmental puzzles (think Flame Legion Tombs).

They should take the Rox and Braham story instances and build on that, they were fantastic.

Ordika Skirata || Keirstaad Rhith || Rhun Turold || Quinten Vigar || Ahrung Park
Swansonites of North Shiverpeak – Northern Shiverpeaks

(edited by Ordika.9513)

Posted by: chefdiablo.6791

chefdiablo.6791

5 man dungeons = community? Seems that quote is better fitting to people having to interact to open up temples, and complete certain meta events.

This is where I think Anet had the right idea with the dynamic events and the open world style team content.

I do not do dungeons. I do not like doing them, if I could explore them on my own and finish them without a group I would do them now and then and be happy. This does not mean that I want to play a singer player game. I like to see people doing their own thing it adds vibrancy and life to an otherwise scripted universe.

I participate in events quite often in the open world. I heal people that are downed. I jump in to kill a mob that is troubling someone or pass along information if I see someone struggling. In WvW I have given players gold for escorting Dolyaks while everyone else is out zerging down enemies.

I don’t have an issue with being a part of a community overall or being in an informal group. I don’t like seeking out a party to complete some part of the game, standing around for long periods of time waiting for people to get their stuff together, answer a phone, eat, or do any of the millions of little things they have to do before we can embark on a dungeon.

I don’t like to skip mobs for speed runs, I like to do things at my pace. I like to figure out the puzzles and tricks on my own, not find out how someone else has been doing it and copy their method because it is thirty seconds faster or because you can cheat the instance.

I don’t like that any type of progression or gear is gated behind the idea I have to group up with a set number of people and put myself in an uncomfortable position and potentially endure ridicule, abuse, or frustration in order to amass tokens or specific types of gear for my characters.

I like solo content because it suits my play style. I like to explore and take my time doing things. I like to kill every single trash mob and pick up every item. I like to stop and look at things and get to know every nuance of the area I am playing in. Groups hate players like me. I don’t care how long my run takes or if I am putting out the highest possible DPS. As long as we get it done that is all that matters in the end.

I understand that many people do enjoy this type of content. If the same gear and items were available in other ways, perhaps even more labor intensive I would be happy to use that method and it would in no way prevent the dungeon masters from having their cake as well.

A virtual world just like the real world is made up of many different types of people. I don’t expect the game to be changed to suit my wants and needs but I do like to be able to get some pretty cool gear without having to play a facet of the game I do not like even if it means paying for it instead of running the dungeons.

Krosslite.1950

per Colin Johanson:

that is why

Way to go fail, linking an out of context quote. Tell me, what “Open World” content requires grouping? There are “group” DEs.. but they don’t require grouping, just a mass of people, or not since some can be soloed. He was talking about Dynamic Events, not 5 man instanced dungeons. Huge difference.

Actually you took my post out of content. Huge fail.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/The-Tunnel-Vision-of-the-GW2-player-base/first#post1862888

Read this to understand where I am coming from

Ayrilana.1396

It’s implied that in an online game that you play with other people and that a lot of the game will be group based. The devs even stated they wanted this game to have a sense of community. I’m paraphrasing of course.

You can say you think there should be solo content but this goes against the game philosophy and all online RPG games in general. Just because WoW lets you solo a lot of content doesn’t mean that every game must. If people want a game that has l solo content then there’s plenty of console and pc games you can choose from. Skyrim is a good choice.

If you have such an issue playing with other people then maybe you should think whether online games are really for you. Group content will not go away. This is not directed at anyone specifically or meant to be offensive. I just don’t know any better way to put this.

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

It might be shocking but some people actually play for fun

Posted by: SmudgerUK.4715

SmudgerUK.4715

It’s implied that in an online game that you play with other people and that a lot of the game will be group based. The devs even stated they wanted this game to have a sense of community. I’m paraphrasing of course.

You can say you think there should be solo content but this goes against the game philosophy and all online RPG games in general. Just because WoW lets you solo a lot of content doesn’t mean that every game must. If people want a game that has l solo content then there’s plenty of console and pc games you can choose from. Skyrim is a good choice.

If you have such an issue playing with other people then maybe you should think whether online games are really for you. Group content will not go away. This is not directed at anyone specifically or meant to be offensive. I just don’t know any better way to put this.

Sorry but the old “maybe online games aren’t for you” tail has been wagged too often. Most people don’t have any issue grouping up for things, but a lot do have an issue with grouping up to finish a story line that was soloable right up until the last chapter. Not exactly the best advert for the “play the game the way you want” campaign. It’s something that might cause people to stop and think before buying any expansions that might be on the horizon.
It’s not always possible to be online at the same time as your friends or guildies and maybe some people just don’t want to see a complete stranger in the cut scene for a story mode dungeon. There are a variety of reasons why somebody might not want to group up, my guess is that “maybe online games aren’t for you” isn’t one of them.

Posted by: LotusThief.4613

LotusThief.4613

Address the real problem. Grouping is hard to do in this game.

There’s cross server dungeons and partying but there’s no real way to do it. A game with no trinity where there is no wrong team and there’s no proper dungeon finder. Even a random grouper would work. Cross server parting is wasted because of it.

This is the only problem with group content in GW2. You can end up spamming map chat longer then it takes to the do the dungeon.

I would like to see at least one solo path on dungeons but a random grouper would work too. I like to play with people but I hate waiting around trying to find people willing to play for fun and not just speed run perfection.

Even just allowing us to enter LA overflow at will would be a great fix. Puging was simple until overflows stopped happening.

Posted by: captaincrash.6528

captaincrash.6528

No, it doesn’t equal dungeons, but it does include dungeons, and the past however many patches have not had dungeon content, this one does. Catering to all types of players.

Crash ~ Charr Reaper

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Why was Super Adventure box lumped in that group?
I explored and got all the achievements for the jumping title completely solo…..as I’m sure many others have as well.

Krosslite.1950

Address the real problem. Grouping is hard to do in this game.

There’s cross server dungeons and partying but there’s no real way to do it. A game with no trinity where there is no wrong team and there’s no proper dungeon finder. Even a random grouper would work. Cross server parting is wasted because of it.

This is the only problem with group content in GW2. You can end up spamming map chat longer then it takes to the do the dungeon.

I would like to see at least one solo path on dungeons but a random grouper would work too. I like to play with people but I hate waiting around trying to find people willing to play for fun and not just speed run perfection.

Even just allowing us to enter LA overflow at will would be a great fix. Puging was simple until overflows stopped happening.

Yes the long promised LFG window would be a welcomed addition.

Will it really the fix issue though? IMO I doubt it.

I have been burned too many times in PUGs (“Pick Up Groups” for those not in the know of MMO slang). So I go out of my way to avoid them which is why I have not done any dungeons at all. Even though I wish too.

Until I find a guild that truly makes an effort to pursue DEs on purpose. I most likely will not get the full use or access in this game.