PvE enemies update

PvE enemies update

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Well a.i on mmos tend to Be overall awfull due some limitations.
Even with boons on mobs it needs to be scripted as a.i, making just npc’s spam boon because yes would not be a good thing to add.

2 things thay would be decent to start would be implementing player classes to PvE mob’s.
Dagger thiefa with backstab a.i from players back, and keep adding just some Key skills with some scripted rotations for they other classes.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

PvE enemies update

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Making enemies use player classes would be a great improvement (Especially in helping people learn about different classes, having consistent attacks to learn from multiple enemies etc). And is one thing I do really miss from GW1.

I’d also love to see the pvp-test-dummies in the PVP map’s AI’s used for some veterans etc around the maps, those are fun to fight, while having clear weaknesses.

Obviously I don’t want Queensdale to be harder than HOT etc, heck leave the starter maps as easy as possible (It’s nice with some “safe havens”). But I really do wish that higher level areas had higher difficulty. Or at least some more difficult encounters, to prepare players for the “end game” stuff, since all the 80 content is on a completely different scale.

I’l make one exception, bring back Trogdor the angry cave troll champion to Queensdale…. I miss him.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

PvE enemies update

Posted by: Hawken.7932

Hawken.7932

I’d have to agree that core maps do need a very slight bump., but I think it’s more about the downscaling. I played at launch, and all the hype around the game was this: endgame was not necessary because core Tyria would always be challenging. You would always be able to go back and play the maps, downscaled to your level and meet the appropriate challenge!

Downscaled from 80 in any map in Tyria, even with blue and greens (I’ve tried this) is simply too easy. It just needs the downscaling formula to be tweaked, imho. Sure, I would also like, as some above suggested, some more variety in difficulty (harder patrols etc.) but the scaling is the main issue.

PvE enemies update

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

Personally, I’d keep it exactly as it is purely from a new players’ perspective – GW2 is still attracting a lot isn’t it? They are one of the main life bloods of MMO’s. If GW2 had stagnated and only experinced/vets played, then yes, tweak the difficulty.

It is easy in core Tyria, even if just “living off the land” on looted white, blue and green drops – I’ve done it and it’s fun to do – but then it’s difficult to unremember stuff so a certain amount of experience comes into play.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

PvE enemies update

Posted by: ardasica.4531

ardasica.4531

Here is the deal, we can talk from the new player perspective and it would hold some truth. ANet did go out of their way to dumb down the core game to appeal more to new incoming players.
However lets also remember that we had far too many veteran players more willing to run the Queensdale Champ Train back when it was still a thing rather than doing the more challenging Frostgorge one. So players as a general rule seem to want their PvE squishy. Core will probably stay as it is even though I do agree that modifying perhaps on the higher level maps would be interesting.

SF
OTR

PvE enemies update

Posted by: Carnius Magius.8091

Carnius Magius.8091

If the game is that easy then strip all your gear down to nothing and play starting in Queensdale and play with only equipable drops. Then move on the next level area upgrading only from equipable drops. Heck they should make an achievement for that.

PvE enemies update

Posted by: Rhanoa.3960

Rhanoa.3960

The problem I have with every suggestion about “making the game more difficult to everyone else” is that not all players have played the game for 5 years straight, have the best possible gear and fine-tuned builds. There are still players who use blues or greens in core Tyria, they find those same enemies quite a challenge.

Again, to clarify, the game is easy for YOU, but your solution is to make it more difficult to EVERYONE.

And now, the challenge for you to try. Remove all your legendary gear, and only use white rarity. Fight without weapon like proper hero. Make sure no traits are selected. This way, the enemies you find too easy will be more challenging to YOU while everyone else is not affected.

Also the HoT was so horrible disaster because some bored players kept posting “more difficulty” in the forum. For whatever reason Anet listened, instead of looking at the players who were happily playing the game.

I already did that Fire Legion Shaman pref-Nerf wrecked you.
Now it just dies in seconds.

Not all my skills & Gear unlocked.

Now instead of leveling another alt, I just use a 80 boost all because it’s too boring just killing things so fast.

Attachments:

MMORPG’s are not easy, you’re just too PRO!!!

PvE enemies update

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

If the game is that easy then strip all your gear down to nothing and play starting in Queensdale and play with only equipable drops. Then move on the next level area upgrading only from equipable drops. Heck they should make an achievement for that.

That’s an argument I see a lot but it doesn’t make any sense at all. Stripping the gear won’t make anything more “challenging” that’s a quick and excuse to dismiss the actual problem. Contrary to popular belief, challenge doesn’t mean things take longer to kill and you take more damage, that’s annoying, not challenging, that’s frustrating, not fun. That’s what the old fractals were like, mobs that took forever to kill and could 1-shot anyone. That wasn’t fun nor challenging.

The old final boss of Snowblind fractal had loads of hit points and did very high damage. Mechanic wise he was trash, a giant sack of hit points that hits hard with slow, predictable, auto attacks. No fun, no challenge, no excitement. The new Snowblind last boss has actual mechanics, has interesting adds to deal with, all while his own damage was lowered massively as well as his hit point total.

Despite how many times this argument is posted, the answer is the same. Replacing your gear with lower tier gear won’t make things interesting nor challenging.

PvE enemies update

Posted by: Mea.5491

Mea.5491

This way everything will get a little bit harder

No thanks. If I want hard content, I log off and play real life.

PvE enemies update

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

That’s an argument I see a lot but it doesn’t make any sense at all. Stripping the gear won’t make anything more “challenging” that’s a quick and excuse to dismiss the actual problem. Contrary to popular belief, challenge doesn’t mean things take longer to kill and you take more damage, that’s annoying, not challenging, that’s frustrating, not fun. That’s what the old fractals were like, mobs that took forever to kill and could 1-shot anyone. That wasn’t fun nor challenging.

The old final boss of Snowblind fractal had loads of hit points and did very high damage. Mechanic wise he was trash, a giant sack of hit points that hits hard with slow, predictable, auto attacks. No fun, no challenge, no excitement. The new Snowblind last boss has actual mechanics, has interesting adds to deal with, all while his own damage was lowered massively as well as his hit point total.

Despite how many times this argument is posted, the answer is the same. Replacing your gear with lower tier gear won’t make things interesting nor challenging.

This and more this. It’s not just about kill times, but what the enemy does that matters.

The enemies don’t have to be punishing, but they should be interesting. They should teach mechanics passively through experience. There should be opportunities to use abilities other than damage rotations. Penalties for failing to mitigate an attack should be reasonable but with stacking complications so the player has time to react, not ANet’s usual 5-second stun with cheap shots or the one-hit-KO fetish.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

PvE enemies update

Posted by: Turak.3286

Turak.3286

This and more this. It’s not just about kill times, but what the enemy does that matters.

The enemies don’t have to be punishing, but they should be interesting. They should teach mechanics passively through experience. There should be opportunities to use abilities other than damage rotations. Penalties for failing to mitigate an attack should be reasonable but with stacking complications so the player has time to react, not ANet’s usual 5-second stun with cheap shots or the one-hit-KO fetish.

You two ARE SO RIGHT!!!
I hope your posts get read. And i am saying this having done all kind of content in GW1 and GW2. cross fingers plz listen to them.

PvE enemies update

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

maddoctor.2738:
Carnius Magius.8091:
+1 to both of you, very well written.

This is also why I want to see the “test dummies” from the PvP map used in more places of the game. Bit harder than the usual veterans, but using profession skills, with clear strengths and weaknesses. They are actually fun to fight against.

I hate hitpoint sponges like the plague, and the entire “if we give this +1 billion stats, it gets hard!” mentality.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”