RIP keyfarming [merged]

RIP keyfarming [merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

So you don’t believe the game needed a better new player experience?

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

So you don’t believe the game needed a better new player experience?

No. It’s fine the way it is.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

This part that makes me think that new chars will get the email to start the personal story at level 10.

“As another addition with the level-up guide, we’re updating the personal story steps using our new Story Journal so they come in story chunks that unlock all at once per chapter. When a story chapter is unlocked as a level-up reward, you’ll be able to play straight through the entire chapter from start to finish and not have any awkward starts and stops that throw off the storyline. In this way, story chapters become another big moment to look forward to earning and unlocking as your character levels up.”

They want people to be able to play that segment of the story line from start to stop. The awkward starts and stops they are referring to are people stopping the progress of the personal story to level enough to do the next step. In order to remove the “starts and stops” the person has to be of high enough level to tackle the final instance of the segment.

Most people who aren’t familiar with the game are not going to take a level 2 char and play through the level 10 instance. If you play straight through, you are only level 4 at the end. They don’t know the shortcuts. They don’t know the skills. They probably don’t know how to strafe. They’re noobs. Since ANet wants them to be able to play each section straight through when they get the notification it makes more sense for the personal story to start at level 10. At that level by the time they hit the level 10 instance they should be level 13 or 14.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

This part that makes me think that new chars will get the email to start the personal story at level 10.

“As another addition with the level-up guide, we’re updating the personal story steps using our new Story Journal so they come in story chunks that unlock all at once per chapter. When a story chapter is unlocked as a level-up reward, you’ll be able to play straight through the entire chapter from start to finish and not have any awkward starts and stops that throw off the storyline. In this way, story chapters become another big moment to look forward to earning and unlocking as your character levels up.”

They want people to be able to play that segment of the story line from start to stop. The awkward starts and stops they are referring to are people stopping the progress of the personal story to level enough to do the next step. In order to remove the “starts and stops” the person has to be of high enough level to tackle the final instance of the segment.

Most people who aren’t familiar with the game are not going to take a level 2 char and play through through the level 10 instance. If you play straight through, you are only level 4 at the end. They don’t know the shortcuts. They don’t know the skills. They probably don’t know how to strafe. They’re noobs. Since ANet wants them to be able to play each section straight through when they get the notification it makes more sense for the personal story to start at level 10. At that level by the time they hit the level 10 instance they should be level 13 or 14.

Yeah, but by that time the content of the personal story chunk will be kind of anti-climatic. Like you said, if you play straight through now, you are level 4ish at the end. You can’t even use the rewards until you level a bit more.

Except for the BL key of course.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Lantern.9687

Lantern.9687

I see no problem with them allowing the story chapters of 1-10 to be unlocked at level 1. Its important to introduce the game, and seriously, playing as a level 4 in the lvl 10 zones arent hard, in fact you have allies the whole way through to then. They can do the work for you even.

Even if you rush through the whole story, you end it at lvl 5. I think unlocking the next batch of story at 20, or even 15 isnt the worst. But I do think for emerision sake, you shouldnt not have story right away.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Anyway I don’t really see how you would successfully completely monetize a game with the cash-shop without influencing the game in a negative way.

Like I said, I think the gemstore shouldn’t offer you something you already get in the game (like skins) but additional things (like the instruments). Furthermore the gemshop shouldn’t ease your gameplay (like buying additional bag slots or farming tools that drop extra materials). It may however expand your game experience (like additional character slots or the digital deluxe-upgrade)

We’ve indeed gotten offtopic here, but since key farming strucks the monetization, I think that has to be discussed also.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

I see no problem with them allowing the story chapters of 1-10 to be unlocked at level 1. Its important to introduce the game, and seriously, playing as a level 4 in the lvl 10 zones arent hard, in fact you have allies the whole way through to then. They can do the work for you even.

Even if you rush through the whole story, you end it at lvl 5. I think unlocking the next batch of story at 20, or even 15 isnt the worst. But I do think for emerision sake, you shouldnt not have story right away.

This is ANet putting in this group of changes. They don’t think people can handle the downed mechanic before level 5. Weapon swapping was moved back. Skill unlocks were moved back. Traits were moved from starting at level 11 to level 30. With this in mind, do you think that ANet believes that the average new player can handle a group of level10 mobs at level 4?

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Roguefire.8174

Roguefire.8174

Most people who aren’t familiar with the game are not going to take a level 2 char and play through the level 10 instance. If you play straight through, you are only level 4 at the end. They don’t know the shortcuts. They don’t know the skills. They probably don’t know how to strafe. They’re noobs. Since ANet wants them to be able to play each section straight through when they get the notification it makes more sense for the personal story to start at level 10. At that level by the time they hit the level 10 instance they should be level 13 or 14.

What they mean is after the first chapter… you think they are going to scrap their intro chapter? their ‘PROLOGUE’ chapter if you will, until level 10?? Give me a break! These guys LOVE their story arc, and they certainly wont throw you into the game without that intro chapter.

I mean you can easily run the first chapter without pause… That’s pretty much what key farming is… Its a cake walk as a level 1-5 to burn through the chapter 1 (level 1-10) content… so imagine doing it as a level 10-14, that’s just silly to think that. So you hit level 10 and start the first part of the quest and you get a level 3 sword as a reward? Give me a break dude… none of that adds up or is consistent with what they are saying. NONE of it. Use your kitten brain.

The only reason you guys are saying this, is because that’s the way China released it, but this patch isn’t a copy paste of China, so get that out of your head.

I think what they mean is, every chapter after the first one will be unlocked at level landmarks as to not create major gaps. Chapter 2 (11-20) unlocks at level 10 and so on… As to give you a guide of what you should be at before starting the chapter.

(edited by Roguefire.8174)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Roguefire.8174

I got some great advice for everyone that thinks level 10 is the new level 1!

Right now, go and create a new character for every race, and pay attention to each intro, and every aspect of each individual races chapter 1… then after your done with that, imagine all that content removed until your level 10. Imagine the devs going into each story arc and screwing all that immersion and effort that they put in at release, and destroying that until level 10.

Imagine yourself as a new person loading in the game for the first time. You see a load screen, and bam! your in the middle of a field. No intro, no objective of doing a kitten thing until level 10.

Really? Yeah that’s what they are going to do right? Makes total sense right? Runing level 1 content as a level 10? Use some common sense people holy kittening kittens kittens on a kitten kitty kitten ya kitten kitty kat kittens!!!!!!!

….. Kitty kat kittens, i mean talk about a kitty kat seriously! KITTENS! KITTENS PEOPLE SERIOUSLY ITS KITTING KITTENS OMKG! ITS KITTENS!

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Leo Paul.1659

I got some great advice for everyone that thinks level 10 is the new level 1!

Right now, go and create a new character for every race, and pay attention to each intro, and every aspect of each individual races chapter 1… then after your done with that, imagine all that content removed until your level 10. Imagine the devs going into each story arc and screwing all that immersion and effort that they put in at release, and destroying that until level 10.

Imagine yourself as a new person loading in the game for the first time. You see a load screen, and bam! your in the middle of a field. No intro, no objective of doing a kitten thing until level 10.

Really? Yeah that’s what they are going to do right? Makes total sense right? Runing level 1 content as a level 10? Use some common sense people holy kittening kittens kittens on a kitten kitty kitten ya kitten kitty kat kittens!!!!!!!

….. Kitty kat kittens, i mean talk about a kitty kat seriously! KITTENS!

Holy litter that’s a lot of kittens. But I do like your take on the whole thing about them not touching chapter 1 and just arranging chapters 2 onwards.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Roguefire.8174

Holy litter that’s a lot of kittens. But I do like your take on the whole thing about them not touching chapter 1 and just arranging chapters 2 onwards.

You missed my edit, but thanks for reading…

Runing level 1 content as a level 10? Use some common sense people holy kittening kittens kittens on a kitten kitty kitten ya kitten kitty kat kittens!!!!!!! ….. Kitty kat kittens, i mean talk about a kitty kat seriously! KITTENS! KITTENS PEOPLE SERIOUSLY ITS KITTING KITTENS OMKG! ITS KITTENS!

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

Runing level 1 content as a level 10? Use some common sense people holy kittening kittens kittens on a kitten kitty kitten ya kitten kitty kat kittens!!!!!!! ….. Kitty kat kittens, i mean talk about a kitty kat seriously! KITTENS! KITTENS PEOPLE SERIOUSLY ITS KITTING KITTENS OMKG! ITS KITTENS!

If they kept level 2 as the start, that means they either took the timings of personal story of the Chinese version and either reworked it completely (a lot of work, and why would they do that for our client when it wasn’t important enough to them to have it that way for the Chinese client) or there is now a large gap between the first section and the second, which I assume starts at level 20.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Roguefire.8174

If they kept level 2 as the start, that means they either took the timings of personal story of the Chinese version and either reworked it completely (a lot of work, and why would they do that for our client when it wasn’t important enough to them to do it for the Chinese client) or there is now a large gap between the first section and the second, which I assume starts at level 20.

First off the Chinese client was reworked by a publisher outside of Anet, it had to be approved/tweaked by them before they would release it in China. The way things run over their is very different, hence why the game was released over there 2 years after our release, and why they didn’t just copy paste what we have. So they may take ideas that worked over there and merge them into what we have, but if you look at China’s GW2 release, it was anything but pleasant. They will not tweak intro content 2 years after release. The content will be the same. Why do you feel so strongly that they will put so much effort into reworking their intro into the game that has been just fine for the last 2 years, just because China’s release was different? The content they are putting into the game has nothing to do with China!!!

Please do some research, you can start here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/20f1gk/ongoing_riots_in_chinese_gw2_community/

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

If they kept level 2 as the start, that means they either took the timings of personal story of the Chinese version and either reworked it completely (a lot of work, and why would they do that for our client when it wasn’t important enough to them to do it for the Chinese client) or there is now a large gap between the first section and the second, which I assume starts at level 20.

First off the Chinese client was reworked by a publisher outside of Anet, it had to be approved/tweaked by them before they would release it in China. The way things run over their is very different, hence why the game was released over there 2 years after our release, and why they didn’t just copy paste what we have. So they may take ideas that worked over there and merge them into what we have, but if you look at China’s GW2 release, it was anything but pleasant. They will not tweak intro content 2 years after release. The content will be the same. Why do you feel so strongly that they will put so much effort into reworking their intro into the game that has been just fine for the last 2 years, just because China’s release was different? The content they are putting into the game has nothing to do with China!!!

Please do some research, you can start here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/20f1gk/ongoing_riots_in_chinese_gw2_community/

They will not tweak intro content 2 years after release?

It seems you think intro content is sacrosanct. But does ANet? They are changing other intro content. As said before, down state, weapon swapping, timing of getting skills. They already said the personal story line has been broken up into chunks. The only consideration then if the first chunk starts with level 2 or level 10. If ANet, who thinks that people can’t handle the down state until level 5, agrees with you that people don’t need some time first to learn the game before they are given the personal story, then you are right.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Roguefire.8174

It seems you think intro content is sacrosanct. But does ANet? They are changing other intro content. As said before, down state, weapon swapping, timing of getting skills. They already said the personal story line has been broken up into chunks. The only consideration then if the first chunk starts with level 2 or level 10. If ANet, who thinks that people can’t handle the down state until level 5, agrees with you that people don’t need some time first to learn the game before they are given the personal story, then you are right.

You know what bro, your absolutely right… It’s a copy paste of China.. here’s the patch notes for the update coming…

“Level 2: Unlock skill 2 across all weapons (Weapon skills are not bound to kills on each weapon anymore.)
Level 3: Unlock skill 3.
Level 5: Unlock F1 skill (such as Warrior’s Burst, not sure about ele’s attunements and mesmer’s shatters).
Level 7: Unlock skill 4, off-hand and 2-handed weapons.
Level 9 or 10: Unlock down state.
Level 11: Unlock vistas. (They are not shown on map until unlock.)
Level 13: Unlock 1st utility slot, skill points on map, underwater weapon skill 2. (and auto-unlock a utility skill…)
Level 14: Unlock the ability to wear green armor.
Level 15: Unlock underwater weapon skill 3, and the ability to salvage.
Level 16: Unlock guild panel. (But the button on the top left corner is already there…)
Level 17: Unlock TP and underwater weapon skill 4.
Level 18: Unlock asura gates. (This is “bugged” atm and you can use them below level 18.)
Level 19: Unlock dailies.
Level 20: 5 skill points as a reward.
Level 21: Unlock JP’s chest. (You can’t open them without the unlock.)
Level 23: Unlock bank and underwater skill 5.
Level 24: Unlock combos, 2nd utility slot.
Level 27: Unlock the ability to swap weapon.
Level 28: Unlock food and account-wide MF.
Level 29: Unlock utility food (sharpening stone/oil/crystal) and LFG.
Level 30: Unlock traits. (Potential to have only 50 trait points?)
Level 34: Unlock WvW panel. (You can pass thru asura gates atm, but they consider that as a bug.)
Level 50: Unlock elite skills. (We are level 30 I believe)
Aetherblade Armor Skin needs 1650 gems instead.
No experience from crafting, except recipe discovery.
Dungeon experience is 7% instead of 70%.
No custom PvP atm.
No skill points from leveling."

Guess what else? You gotta pay 38 gems to open an unidentified dye… take a look!
http://imgur.com/a/k9GA4#7
RIP Keyfarming? No… more like RIP GW2 lol

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

Would be nice if they’d just say what it’s going to be. I don’t understand how they can talk about it in a blog post, but they apparently can’t give a little clarification on the details?

Makes me think it’s not finalized yet and they are still reading and taking the feedback into account. I don’t understand the silence otherwise, especially with their recent efforts to communicate more.

Or words to that effect.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

You know what bro, your absolutely right… It’s a copy paste of China.. here’s the patch notes for the update coming…

“Level 2: Unlock skill 2 across all weapons (Weapon skills are not bound to kills on each weapon anymore.)
Level 3: Unlock skill 3.
Level 5: Unlock F1 skill (such as Warrior’s Burst, not sure about ele’s attunements and mesmer’s shatters).
Level 7: Unlock skill 4, off-hand and 2-handed weapons.
Level 9 or 10: Unlock down state.
Level 11: Unlock vistas. (They are not shown on map until unlock.)
Level 13: Unlock 1st utility slot, skill points on map, underwater weapon skill 2. (and auto-unlock a utility skill…)
Level 14: Unlock the ability to wear green armor.
Level 15: Unlock underwater weapon skill 3, and the ability to salvage.
Level 16: Unlock guild panel. (But the button on the top left corner is already there…)
Level 17: Unlock TP and underwater weapon skill 4.
Level 18: Unlock asura gates. (This is “bugged” atm and you can use them below level 18.)
Level 19: Unlock dailies.
Level 20: 5 skill points as a reward.
Level 21: Unlock JP’s chest. (You can’t open them without the unlock.)
Level 23: Unlock bank and underwater skill 5.
Level 24: Unlock combos, 2nd utility slot.
Level 27: Unlock the ability to swap weapon.
Level 28: Unlock food and account-wide MF.
Level 29: Unlock utility food (sharpening stone/oil/crystal) and LFG.
Level 30: Unlock traits. (Potential to have only 50 trait points?)
Level 34: Unlock WvW panel. (You can pass thru asura gates atm, but they consider that as a bug.)
Level 50: Unlock elite skills. (We are level 30 I believe)
Aetherblade Armor Skin needs 1650 gems instead.
No experience from crafting, except recipe discovery.
Dungeon experience is 7% instead of 70%.
No custom PvP atm.
No skill points from leveling."

Guess what else? You gotta pay 38 gems to open an unidentified dye… take a look!
http://imgur.com/a/k9GA4#7
RIP Keyfarming? No… more like RIP GW2 lol

Exaggerate much?

I never said it was a copy paste of China. I said that I thought the personal story started at level 10 based on ANet pushing back other features that are part of early leveling and because they said the story is now in chunks and is set up to be “looked forward to.”

One way or another we will soon find out.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Leo Paul.1659

In fairness to Astral Projections, he did say he wishes he’s wrong. I think he’s just playing the devil’s advocate and explaining how Anet would justify the change and how new players could potentially benefit from it. That said, I still feel like it’s an unwarranted change; particularly since I find the personal story to be another means of leveling instead of having to do heart quests (I find them very tiresome). I also like how they are not exactly gated, since I like the idea of having control whether I want to do them now or not.

(edited by Leo Paul.1659)

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Roguefire.8174

They never said they were moving back the story to start at level 10… That’s a huge change, even if they did that in China, it isn’t a simple copy paste to do that here, and there is no reason for them to do that!

It’s one thing for them to change out the rewards, and give new players a better understanding of the content they should be running. But limiting players out the gate and completely crippling the immersion from the first seconds of the game by removing that intro, and that chapter 1 story content until level 10 would be a horrible idea for no positive gain what so ever.

What we should be upset about is what we know for certain. The silly change of removing downed state until level 5? Really? And turning weapon skills into level rewards? This is legit stuff they announced, that will effect key farming slightly by maybe a minute or two in certain areas and will even change the early experiences of the game… and honestly they are in my opinion very poor changes, as the system is better off the way it is currently.

I’m fine with them adding more hp as a low level in a downed state, but completely removing it until 5 is pretty silly. As a new player when I hit level 5 I’m going to be even more shocked and confused in this new mechanic than if I was a level 1, so I don’t see the point in this change. I’d prefer to learn this mechanic as soon as I’m downed, instead of hitting level 5. As if all of a sudden I can now accept the idea of what being downed is at level 5, since that’s the ideal level to understand this mechanic.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Leo Paul.1659

TBH, I was never a big fan of the downed state to begin with. I feel like it’s a very clunky mechanic. But since it’s a feature within GW2, I think it’s better if they let new players experience it as soon as possible so they adapt to it faster. Like ripping a band aid off.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Roguefire.8174

Really they should just leave it at 1 and add more hp… I don’t get how being a level 5 makes you any more prepared for a mechanic that your going to have to get used to for your remaining time in the game.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Anyway I don’t really see how you would successfully completely monetize a game with the cash-shop without influencing the game in a negative way.

Like I said, I think the gemstore shouldn’t offer you something you already get in the game (like skins) but additional things (like the instruments). Furthermore the gemshop shouldn’t ease your gameplay (like buying additional bag slots or farming tools that drop extra materials). It may however expand your game experience (like additional character slots or the digital deluxe-upgrade)

We’ve indeed gotten offtopic here, but since key farming strucks the monetization, I think that has to be discussed also.

Well I disagree with the instruments. You see that could else have been a whole game-element by itself like a craft. How awesome would that be. And yes I see the link with the key-farming still I thing overall it’s a separate topic. The reason why they should not prevent key-farming is because a lot of people enjoy (have fun) doing it. And really it’s not gonna make people buy more anyway.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Valento.9852

Valento.9852

Ahh… so this is a fix to prevent key farming. Well, I didn’t see that one coming, thanks for the heads-up.

Attempts at ele specs:
Shaman
Conjurer

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Allaraina.8614

Allaraina.8614

Good enough, key farming is stupid, and obviously not something they wanted players to do.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/2ew9ta/as_i_was_key_farming/

Apparently Anet employees keyfarm. =D

My 18 characters are waiting for outfits from GW1 like Tuxedos! WE GOT DWAYNA! =D
http://asuratime.tumblr.com/

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Andred.1087

Andred.1087

Good enough, key farming is stupid, and obviously not something they wanted players to do.

Fine, I’ll update my statement to “key farming is stupid.”

“You’ll PAY to know what you really think.” ~ J. R. “Bob” Dobbs

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Fine, I’ll update my statement to “key farming is stupid.”

Farming in general is stupid. Yet you “farm” everything. Be it dungeons, the worldboss rotations or materials.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

About the downed state moving to lvl 5. When it is unlocked/introduced it wont come as a shock. When you gain a level, there is a pop up that shows what you are gaining for that level, as well as a look into what is coming in the next level. So at lvl 4, you are made aware of a “new downed state”. Then at lvl 5, you are shown how the downed state works. They arent just throwing it at you.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Gregori.5807

Gregori.5807

RIP Hauling Keyster, I barely knew you… repeatedly.

~~On Blackgate since Beta~~
80s: Necro x2, Ranger, Warr, Guardian x2, Ele x2, Mes, Thief

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Roguefire.8174

You access chapter 1 story as soon as you create your character, and it has tutorials built into it. There’s many reasons to believe that you unlock it at level 1 so players in this topic probably shouldn’t go around parading it as a confirmed fact.

The intro cut-scene leads straight into the prologue or chapter 1 part 1… part 2 is a tutorial that will be worthless at level 10. It works just fine as is, and no changes mentioned warrant that there will be any changes to the intro.

The concept that you must be 10 levels higher than the content to unlock it does not hold true to anything thus far in game and is impossible to be consistent with in terms of the level 80 content, as that is the cap level.

People keep saying China release is working just fine, and they are going to use that concept here. First off China’s release was and still is a painful thing to look at. And it would not be an easy thing to go in and change all 5 races intro, and push all that content back to level 10. It’s not a copy paste job. China’s GW2, is not GW2 in my opinion. It was manipulated by a China publisher that is well hated over there, and I’m sure they are getting their fingers sticky with every dirty gem purchase there.

Also in the process of leveling up to 10 you will likely overwrite parts of the tutorial in chapter 1 part 2, so that would need to be changed as well.

The idea that you must be Lvl 10 for chapter 1 (1-10) Level 20 for chapter 2 (11-20) Level 30 for Chapter 3 (21-30) Level 40 for chapter 4 (31-40) Level 50 for chapter 5 (41-50) Level 60 for Chapter 6 (51-60) Level 70 for Chapter 7 (61-70) and Level 80 for Chapter 8 (71-80) basically means all story content and rewards respective to the contents level will be obsolete… The content will all be a cake walk at those levels.

Limiting players to being a higher level than the content they are running is something they have not done ever and is not consistent. It would be a horrible move to throw new players out on a limb to have to farm to level 10 out the gate before giving them any sort of guideline, or even story to what is going on in their characters timeline and personal story… There is no denying all the facts I’ve laid out.

There is the possibility that they will remove the key from the story rewards, and I think that has a much greater chance of happening than them moving level 1 content to level 10. However giving new players that key after chapter 1 is the perfect time to introduce players to black lion keys so that they can begin buying them from the market. So I doubt they will remove keys as an early reward as that doesn’t make much sense either.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Roguefire.8174

Also have you guys not played the Sylvari intro? Chapter 1 part 1 of Sylvari is the dream, for which the character is born… how the hell are you going to play to level 10 before your birth? I mean you really think they are going to jack up the story that they love so much? Sylvari without chapter 1 isn’t going to make any sense and will screw up the story completely.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: vitali.1609

vitali.1609

Hey, are you guys 100% sure key farming isnt a no-no?
Had 2 accounts hacked/stolen from me last week and when i fianally reset passwords and all that the accounts were closed for “assisting in the sale of gold/items for real world money” so i sent in a seperate ticket for each account i lost.
one account that ive had since launch was recovered and rolled bach for me within 36 hours.
The 2nd account i bought only a few months ago that i has 1 lvl 80 and i use the rest of the slots for extra storage.
Anyway I also use 1 character slot to farm black lion keys.
Thats the only difference between the 2 accounts really since ive never farmed keys with the 1st account.
So do you guys think creating then getting key and deleting a character over and over for farming keys sends off a red flag in the system?

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I doubt it vitali. I know people who farm 250+ of them all the time and nothing is wrong with their account.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: vitali.1609

vitali.1609

I doubt it vitali. I know people who farm 250+ of them all the time and nothing is wrong with their account.

Great, so I just got screwed.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Hybarf Tics.2048

Hybarf Tics.2048

Well now it’s official and everyone knows, when it’s about loosing money Anet will always go back on their word. I remember in a thread about key farming, a dev came in and replied it’s perfectly ok to farm key as it’s not an exploit and we have no reason to touch it. Famous last word, what they really meant is, as long as it does not interfere with our profits you have nothing to worry about. If Anet thinks that this little stunt will result in more key sales they are sadly mistaken.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Arctinus.7824

Arctinus.7824

If they really wanted to get rid of or at least in any way hinder keyfarming, then why don’t they remove Transmutation Charges from city exploration? Last time I checked they sell those for gems as well, and they’re even for sale now. And you can farm them just like keys by creating a new character and exploring all five cities. So it doesn’t make sense to me to prevent players from farming keys. shrug

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

If they really wanted to get rid of or at least in any way hinder keyfarming, then why don’t they remove Transmutation Charges from city exploration? Last time I checked they sell those for gems as well, and they’re even for sale now. And you can farm them just like keys by creating a new character and exploring all five cities. So it doesn’t make sense to me to prevent players from farming keys. shrug

It’s not about key farming. If it were all they would have to do is remove the key as a reward from the level 10 instance. This is ANet trying to improve the leveling experience for brand new players. If the upcoming changes nerf key farming, it’s a side effect.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: doombreaker.3710

doombreaker.3710

restrictions will never improve any levling experience.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

In fairness to Astral Projections, he did say he wishes he’s wrong. I think he’s just playing the devil’s advocate and explaining how Anet would justify the change and how new players could potentially benefit from it. That said, I still feel like it’s an unwarranted change; particularly since I find the personal story to be another means of leveling instead of having to do heart quests (I find them very tiresome). I also like how they are not exactly gated, since I like the idea of having control whether I want to do them now or not.

Indeed. I’ve read the upcoming changes so far announced and I’ve read about what they have done in China. This leads me to deduce that this particular change (personal story starting at level 10) is also coming.

Just because I believe the changes are coming and can understand ANet’s reasons for this doesn’t mean I am personally in favor of it. I do key farming regularly and this change will adversely effect both what I like to do and my income.

It’s quite possible to say, I think this is going to happen and the reasons why I think so without being happy about the change.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Roguefire.8174

Indeed. I’ve read the upcoming changes so far announced and I’ve read about what they have done in China. This leads me to deduce that this particular change (personal story starting at level 10) is also coming.

Just because I believe the changes are coming and can understand ANet’s reasons for this doesn’t mean I am personally in favor of it. I do key farming regularly and this change will adversely effect both what I like to do and my income.

It’s quite possible to say, I think this is going to happen and the reasons why I think so without being happy about the change.

Have you guys not played the Sylvari intro? Chapter 1 part 1 of Sylvari is the dream, for which the character is born… how the hell are you going to play to level 10 before your birth? I mean you really think they are going to jack up the story that they love so much? Sylvari without chapter 1 isn’t going to make any sense and will screw up the story completely.

You access chapter 1 story as soon as you create your character, and it has tutorials built into it. There’s many reasons to believe that you unlock it at level 1 so players in this topic probably shouldn’t go around parading it as a confirmed fact.

The intro cut-scene leads straight into the prologue or chapter 1 part 1… part 2 is a tutorial that will be worthless at level 10. It works just fine as is, and no changes mentioned warrant that there will be any changes to the intro.

The concept that you must be 10 levels higher than the content to unlock it does not hold true to anything thus far in game and is impossible to be consistent with in terms of the level 80 content, as that is the cap level.

People keep saying China release is working just fine, and they are going to use that concept here. First off China’s release was and still is a painful thing to look at. And it would not be an easy thing to go in and change all 5 races intro, and push all that content back to level 10. It’s not a copy paste job. China’s GW2, is not GW2 in my opinion. It was manipulated by a China publisher that is well hated over there, and I’m sure they are getting their fingers sticky with every dirty gem purchase there.

Also in the process of leveling up to 10 you will likely overwrite parts of the tutorial in chapter 1 part 2, so that would need to be changed as well.

The idea that you must be Lvl 10 for chapter 1 (1-10) Level 20 for chapter 2 (11-20) Level 30 for Chapter 3 (21-30) Level 40 for chapter 4 (31-40) Level 50 for chapter 5 (41-50) Level 60 for Chapter 6 (51-60) Level 70 for Chapter 7 (61-70) and Level 80 for Chapter 8 (71-80) basically means all story content and rewards respective to the contents level will be obsolete… The content will all be a cake walk at those levels.

Limiting players to being a higher level than the content they are running is something they have not done ever and is not consistent. It would be a horrible move to throw new players out on a limb to have to farm to level 10 out the gate before giving them any sort of guideline, or even story to what is going on in their characters timeline and personal story… There is no denying all the facts I’ve laid out.

There is the possibility that they will remove the key from the story rewards, and I think that has a much greater chance of happening than them moving level 1 content to level 10. However giving new players that key after chapter 1 is the perfect time to introduce players to black lion keys so that they can begin buying them from the market. So I doubt they will remove keys as an early reward as that doesn’t make much sense either.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: JusticarArkiel.1564

JusticarArkiel.1564

look, somebody who thinks. i commend you sir for actually being logical instead of throwing on a tinfoil hat. anet seems to be all about immersion, asura gates and waypoints are part of the lore even for god’s sake. they won’t utterly ruin immersion by making you have to level to 10 before you can do the story that occurs right after the events in the tutorial instance. and the keys is a correct idea too, its incentive for the new players to buy keys, they won’t remove them as a reward.

Fix what you have before you build something new

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

and the keys is a correct idea too, its incentive for the new players to buy keys, they won’t remove them as a reward.

Removing them’s not the point. The point is that if the key cannot be gotten earlier than level 10 (or 20, which is the case in the Chinese version) then keyfarming could well die. Leveling to 10 takes a lot of time, particularly when you don’t have PS that give lots of XP.

In any case, new players are going to be bored out of their minds. going to level 10.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

Have you guys not played the Sylvari intro? Chapter 1 part 1 of Sylvari is the dream, for which the character is born… how the hell are you going to play to level 10 before your birth? I mean you really think they are going to jack up the story that they love so much? Sylvari without chapter 1 isn’t going to make any sense and will screw up the story completely.

I’m afraid your response doesn’t convince me that ANet isn’t going to do this.

The answer to most of your objections is, it’s already set up in China for the personal story to start at level 10. If they can do it there, they can most certainly do it here.

As to immersion breaking, if ANet doesn’t consider it immersion breaking the way it’s set up in China then why would they consider it immersion breaking for the NA/EU Clint?

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Kysin.6349

Kysin.6349

The answer to most of your objections is, it’s already set up in China for the personal story to start at level 10. If they can do it there, they can most certainly do it here.

As to immersion breaking, if ANet doesn’t consider it immersion breaking the way it’s set up in China then why would they consider it immersion breaking for the NA/EU Clint?

I totally agree with your prediction and your attitude about it. We are the open minded ones here, rogue is being incredibly closed minded saying there is no way he could be wrong. It could go either way, but judging by the sound of the update and how they have been using a lot of things from the China side. Again not 100% certain, but It is a pretty safe bet to say PS will start at level 10. I seriously hope Rogue is right, I just really don’t think he is.

Co-leader of Knights of Eminence[Sir] – PvX
Reap The Weak[Reap] – WvW 5-man havok
-Blackgate

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Astral Projections.7320

I totally agree with your prediction and your attitude about it. We are the open minded ones here, rogue is being incredibly closed minded saying there is no way he could be wrong. It could go either way, but judging by the sound of the update and how they have been using a lot of things from the China side. Again not 100% certain, but It is a pretty safe bet to say PS will start at level 10. I seriously hope Rogue is right, I just really don’t think he is.

I’m hoping I’m wrong but there is another thing. No red post saying, “the personal story starts at level 2, just as it always have”. True, they don’t post often but if they were to say this there would be a lot of happy people thanking them, including myself. Since they don’t have any good news to tell us then they are staying far away.

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Lantern.9687

Lantern.9687

So Are we ever going to get an answer?

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Lisa.6102

Lisa.6102

So when is apparently going to happen?

after the precursor crafting perhaps :-P

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Gaia Orunitia.5794

Gaia Orunitia.5794

8 pages… and still no red answer… :x

I’ve notices that threre are 3 main types of answers from the CM/DEV on the forum :

1. What do you think about that feature ?
2. Sorry but all the off topic posts will be deleted
3. Yeah thank you for the compliments

If we have none of these answers, 2 possibilities :
1. Oww… it seems we screwed it up, let’s change it without saying a word, they’ll forget we did it wrong at first
2. They don’t like that idea, but there’s no turning back. Let’s say nothing

It’s a little exaggerated, but the idea is here :p

But the fact is it’s already there in China. And I don’t see why they couldn’t implement it that way. After the end of the introduction mission, the next step is to accomplish a “heart mission”. Well, they just have to add a “reach level 10” condition to continue the story.

And I quote :

Personal Story

As another addition with the level-up guide, we’re updating the personal story steps using our new Story Journal so they come in story chunks that unlock all at once per chapter. When a story chapter is unlocked as a level-up reward, you’ll be able to play straight through the entire chapter from start to finish and not have any awkward starts and stops that throw off the storyline. In this way, story chapters become another big moment to look forward to earning and unlocking as your character levels up.

It means that while you don’t have the level to complete that story chunk, you can’t access to it. The end of the first part is level 10, so we can assume that we unlock it at level 10.

I’m not saying this will happen, but it CAN happen, and the way they present it suggests that it will happen. I repeat, only one post to clarify would be appreciated. Without that… see the begining of my post :p

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

“8 pages and still no red posts”

Well this thread was started on Thursday? Or was it Friday? Just before a holiday weekend. My guess is most of the devs, at least the ones who wpuld respond would be on vacation for the holiday. So I wouldnt expect any sort of response until Wednesday at the earliest.

(It is labor day, a day off in honor of the working class here in the US for those who didnt know.)

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Gaia Orunitia.5794

Gaia Orunitia.5794

But they’ve already answered on other topics concerning the announcement (that one for instance https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Completely-Pointless-Revamps/first#post4344058 ), and they took the time to merge all posts and topics concerning key farming so I think they had time to answer :p

But happy Labor Day to all US dudes

RIP keyfarming [merged]

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Regardless of when we have access to the PS all Anet has to do is change the rewards at the end of each chapter ‘chunk’. If the key is pushed forward to a level 20 reward then key farming is going to be a lot more time intensive. (wishing I had created a ton of alts that first year so I’d have that many scrolls to level 20 instead of just 8 of them)
Options:

• They leave the PS and rewards ‘as is’
  • They change the PS to start after level 10 (and still include the intro sequence)
  • They change the PS rewards so that first key is obtained at the end of the 2nd story ‘chunk’ at level 20.
  • They change both the PS to start after level 10 and the key reward obtained after level 20

Did I miss an option?

PS – I too bought keys right after getting my key reward that first time. I didn’t do it again because of the dismal results and RNG. Like others here I prefer to just buy what I like on the gemstore, and do when it’s a guaranteed purchase. Key farming for me is a relaxing, once a month, about an hour’s worth of fun activity.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued