RNG broken. Love the game, think I'm done.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: AtoBoss.2906

AtoBoss.2906

My advice is to stay persistent and don’t burn yourself off trying to get that precursor or exotic – it’s just not worth the stress.
Instead, run that dungeon or that fotm daily and the drops will come, seriously. Consistently put rares in mystic forge and as time goes, you will strike your luck. I got Rodgorts flame out of 3 rares yesterday (mystic forge stone and 3 cheap rares).

Holycowow

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

Also, I don’t think Zommoros is stingy with the precursors. I think that if you throw 4 exotic greatswords in the forge, you get a random exotic greatsword out. there are just 43 exotic greatswords to choose from, and only 2 are precursors, so that’s a 1 in 21.5 chance (4.65%) of getting a precursor
if you start from rares, there is further only a 20% chance of upgrading to exotic, so 20% of that 4.65 is 0.9302% chance of upgrading 4 rare greatswords to a precursor = 1 in 107.5 rolls = 430 rare greatswords were thrown in the forge (on average). Some people may get it after 8 rares, some may get it after 800 rares, a few may get it after 8000, it still has the same average.
I get carried away with math sometimes

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

LOL, I’ve been playing since launch and I can count the number of exotics that have dropped for me on one hand. I’m very very unlucky. I get maybe 3 rares a day max with doing the current events, so I don’t get much of a chance to use the mystic toilet. I just figure if it happens it happens, if not, oh well.

Posted by: ShadowPuppet.3746

ShadowPuppet.3746

It’s just pseudo random.

You will never convince ANet or anyone else that your aren’t just unlucky.

I expect that sometime in the distant future ANet will uncover a bug with the loot table that causes some people to get multiple precursors and other people to get nothing.

Haven’t they already acknowledged that this was happening at one point and they supposedly fixed it?

Posted by: Sarius.6983

Sarius.6983

I still feel that there’s an account bug or somesorts. It’s still ridiculous there’s such big discrepancies , regardless of RNG or not.

I remember my situation that made me quit hard this game for quite a few months. It was the start of the fractals, where you could only get a ring from the daily attempt. Guess when I finally got my ring after my guild passing me due to not having enough agony resists due to not having a ring? When they implemented the 10 fractal relic per ring deal.

I do believe something is “off” with some accounts compared to others, luckily this game doesn’t have a sub else I’d would already have unsubbed. Least i’ll never pay a cent for gems though.

Posted by: XarOneZeroNine.2374

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Anecdotal is anecdotal and all that, but kitten it sure feels like the RNG is a boss monster that is out to get me. Like maybe there is a Dev or something on the other end of my loot that just laughs as I only ever get blues….

I’ve been playing since September. I have only ever looted 1, yes that is one, exotic in that entire time. To top it all off it was in fractals so it was account bound…

Speaking of fractals I’ve run over 150 of them, closing in on 200 runs and I only have 3 vials of mist essence to show for it. No globs, no shards.

The only reason I’ve started to see even some rares is due to the guaranteed one from world events.

I haven’t seen the code. I don’t know what is really happening, but is sure does feel like the loot gods are against me…

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

Look at my sig.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Mourningcry.9428

Mourningcry.9428

Also, I don’t think Zommoros is stingy with the precursors. I think that if you throw 4 exotic greatswords in the forge, you get a random exotic greatsword out. there are just 43 exotic greatswords to choose from, and only 2 are precursors, so that’s a 1 in 21.5 chance (4.65%) of getting a precursor
if you start from rares, there is further only a 20% chance of upgrading to exotic, so 20% of that 4.65 is 0.9302% chance of upgrading 4 rare greatswords to a precursor = 1 in 107.5 rolls = 430 rare greatswords were thrown in the forge (on average). Some people may get it after 8 rares, some may get it after 800 rares, a few may get it after 8000, it still has the same average.
I get carried away with math sometimes

You’re assuming that all results are equally weighted. I’d wager some have a higher chance than others.

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Look at my sig.

I have.

I have also run max magic find. For quite some time I tried to increase my odds. Didn’t change my loot drops in any noticable way. Sure I got more greens than before but kitten . Trash loot is trash loot.

You should change your sig to say ‘MF gear works for me’.

Vol.5241

Look at my sig.

I have.

I have also run max magic find. For quite some time I tried to increase my odds. Didn’t change my loot drops in any noticable way. Sure I got more greens than before but kitten . Trash loot is trash loot.

+60 exotics in 5 months is not a fluke. Maybe you’re not killing enough mobs for MF gear to be best utilized

MF gear works best in:
-zergs with high number of mobs
-classes with superb tagging ability, such as the Guardian

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Sarius.6983

Sarius.6983

Look at my sig.

I have.

+60 exotics in 5 months is not a fluke. Maybe you’re not killing enough mobs for MF gear to be best utilized

MF gear works best in:

This is the kinda discrepancy I want for the devs to see. I’ve done the same thing, i’ve zerged orr as a staff guard with as much MF i could. I’ve zerged the coloseum also aswell with as much MF i could eat. I’ve only gotten 1 exotic running the coloseum for as much as I could login.

XarOneZeroNine.2374

Look at my sig.

I have.

MF gear works best in:

Funny you should say that. My main is a Guardian. I ran the CS loot farm when it was in its hey day.

I’ve followed the zerg from world boss to boss tagging everything I can. My bags fill up, I get loot. I just don’t get exotics and hardly ever get more than the guarenteed rare from the whole thing.

I’ve spent hours upon hours in the Crown Pavillion.

I’m attacking you or anything. I’m happy that your drops are good.
I just think you need to empathize a bit more.

I’ve gotten used to getting junk loot and scraping my way to just buying what I would like off of the TP.

Seriously 1 exotic since september… It shouldn’t matter if I ran full MF or no MF, 11 months of gameplay should yield more than 1…

Posted by: The Talcmaster.7391

The Talcmaster.7391

All I gotta say is double the chances of a tiny number is still tiny.

I don’t keep my MF full tilt, but I have 135% without any temp boosts. Greens are the most common item, followed by blues, whites, rares, and then exotics. Until the invasions started giving me piles of champ boxes, I pretty much never saw an exotic drop from an enemy, just occasionally from the chests. We’re talking like a hundredth of a percent chance of getting an exotic in the first place, doubling or tripling isn’t going to make a noticeable difference.

Getting a pre to drop from an enemy is pretty much trying to win the lottery. Every ticket is as likely to win, no matter how many times you played before. There are people who play every day their whole lives and don’t ever win. The RNG here is no more broken. Just be happy that this particular RNG doesn’t have any sort of entry fee, unlike some other ones in the game.

Fort Aspenwood – [fury], [SAO], [NICE]
Fun on someone else’s schedule is not fun

Vol.5241

Crown Pavillion was not a good place to farm.

I theorize that any sort of place where you can farm with a NPC-provided boost (such as Pavillion or the Karka Settler event we had a few months ago) has a much lower loot table since the huge boost in MF would have massive influence on the value of rares/exotics.

Not to mention it is entirely possible that useless rares/exotics such as the gauntlet/voting tickets, or the watchwork recipes that sell for copper may be interfering with the loot table.

I should also add another reason why I get so many exotic drops is because my kill rate per hour is high. The more mobs you hit, the more opportunities you get to roll for loot.

When we had anchorage farm last week, I farmed with plenty of guardians. You could tell those who have no clue about farming as well as those who are pros. The very bad guardians don’t know that moving around is essential, and not needing to keep hitting the same mob 10 times. Or that you don’t always have to spam 1, and that a properly traited symbol guardian can attack two places at once.

Remember penitent camp? You could have three waves spawn at the same time. And as a guardian, you are capable of attacking all three waves (+15 enemies) at the same time within 2 seconds. The pro guardians know this, since 1 tag on each mob is enough to get loot. That’s +15 chances at loot.

As opposed to the bad guardian who would only face one wave and spam 1, hitting no more than 5 enemies.

All I can say is, the mechanics of the game are right there infront of you. If you do not wish to take advantage of it, it’s not the game’s fault. It’s yours.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

My advice:

Get over yourself. If some players have to put up with RNG, then so do you. You’re not any more special than the rest of us. You don’t deserve to put up with RNG? Then go elsewhere, nobody’s stopping you.

Bad reasoning.

RNG makes some more special than the rest of us. That’s the whole point of this RNG crap. It’s therefore logical that people complain about it in a game like this. RNG like it’s applied here is just a cheap mechanic probably used because the rest of the game is too casual.

I didn’t say RNG is good, but Daishi’s attitude is that ‘lesser’ players can/should deal with it but he deserves better. He made another thread exactly about this. That’s what I’m replying to, and its true. If RNG is fine for some to have to deal with (as stated by him), then its fine for him to have to deal with it too.

You disagree?

Edit: My bad, its not in another thread. It was in this one lol:

The people who feel entitled can keep their crappy RNG. Or can overly farm matts to craft it when that content becomes available.

I really don’t think anyone can claim being entitled to something when they are just legit not good enough to finish the content.

I try not to get all elitist on people, and I reserve how I feel even when someone is genuinely bad and I don’t shove it in their face for the sake of saving the community more toxicity. But allow me to show a bit of that side! Fact is scrubs and baddies aren’t entitled to nor are deserving of anything if they can’t raise their own skill level.

RNG is fine for those who can’t but there is no reason why “luck” needs to be a end game barrier.

Irony is, Daishi feels he’s entitled to better rewards than most others, but its the ‘entitled baddies’ who deserve RNG. lolz.

(edited by arjeidi.2690)

XarOneZeroNine.2374

<snip> it’s not the game’s fault. It’s yours.

Not that you’ll listen or believe me, but I know how to tag mobs. After running the with zergs ad nausem I learned where to put my symbols. I learned how to fill my bags with junk. Which is the point you are missing.

What you are trying to say is that i’m bad at the game and that I am not getting any loot. That is not the case. I know I am getting credit for the mobs, my bags overfloweth with junk. If I wasn’t tagging them I’d get nothing.

So basically, regardless of what we say to you, your repsonse boils down to ‘it works for me so l2p noob’…

I’ve said my piece. Thrown in my 2 cents worth of anecdotal evidence. It’s clear now that was a bad idea. I’m done.

(edited by XarOneZeroNine.2374)

Posted by: Fungalfoot.7213

Fungalfoot.7213

All the progression is RNG based and it stinks. In the only facet of the game where skill actually matters to some extent ( SPvP ) there aren’t even any real rewards. Yes, the state of the game sucks and ArenaNet doesn’t seem to know how to make it not suck.

Me, I’d advocate removing mob loot entirely and instead handing players rewards based on their performance in various events. Discourage the auto attack spammers trying to tag everything while rewarding the people actually getting kitten done. I don’t mind a bit of random thrown in there to spice things up but the deciding factor should be your performance.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

RNG had it’s time, now it is a dinosaur of the MMO era that needs to go. At least when you’re talking about .001 chance of drops. If something had a 50% chance of dropping, you could say “oh well, I’ll get it next time.” and you very well might.

Having something be rare or hard to achieve is fine; rare with random chances of dropping – not so much. It truly rewards nothing more than luck. The person that gets the item is definitely happy. The people that have been trying to get that item for a year and still haven’t? Yeah they don’t feel to warm and fuzzy about the game when “Johnny been here 1 week” gets it.

ShadowPuppet.3746

I theorize that any sort of place where you can farm with a NPC-provided boost (such as Pavillion or the Karka Settler event we had a few months ago) has a much lower loot table since the huge boost in MF would have massive influence on the value of rares/exotics.

Not to mention it is entirely possible that useless rares/exotics such as the gauntlet/voting tickets, or the watchwork recipes that sell for copper may be interfering with the loot table.

I should also add another reason why I get so many exotic drops is because my kill rate per hour is high. The more mobs you hit, the more opportunities you get to roll for loot.

When we had anchorage farm last week, I farmed with plenty of guardians. You could tell those who have no clue about farming as well as those who are pros. The very bad guardians don’t know that moving around is essential, and not needing to keep hitting the same mob 10 times. Or that you don’t always have to spam 1, and that a properly traited symbol guardian can attack two places at once.

Remember penitent camp? You could have three waves spawn at the same time. And as a guardian, you are capable of attacking all three waves (+15 enemies) at the same time within 2 seconds. The pro guardians know this, since 1 tag on each mob is enough to get loot. That’s +15 chances at loot.

As opposed to the bad guardian who would only face one wave and spam 1, hitting no more than 5 enemies.

All I can say is, the mechanics of the game are right there infront of you. If you do not wish to take advantage of it, it’s not the game’s fault. It’s yours.

Pro Farmers eh? Doesn’t this make you feel a bit squeamish inside that your only objective in this scenario is to tag as much loot as possible while not really contributing much in terms of effectiveness in actually playing the game?

Vol.5241

Pro Farmers eh? Doesn’t this make you feel a bit squeamish inside that your only objective in this scenario is to tag as much loot as possible while not really contributing much in terms of effectiveness in actually playing the game?

When you have a zerg with you that is more than capable of completing the event due to sheer numbers, then yes, all I care about is tagging.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

i bet if you had gotten 2 precursors then you would be just fine with rng…

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

Not mad enough?

remember the Karka event? remember how many precursors were given to players with half or a third the hours played you had? Those who exploited 2 or more overflows and got more than 1, 2 or 3 precursors?

Yeah… That’s when I lost faith.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

ShadowPuppet.3746

When you have a zerg with you that is more than capable of completing the event due to sheer numbers, then yes, all I care about is tagging.

Do you actually enjoy this style of play? You wouldn’t rather be rewarded for effort versus mindless zerging ad nauseam? I am not concerned with the argument, that this is the system that is in place and you adapted to what was available. I am curious if this is actually the type of game play you find entertaining?

(edited by ShadowPuppet.3746)

Posted by: arjeidi.2690

arjeidi.2690

“Effort” in MMOs usually just equates to time. Those with more time to play get to put in more effort. There may be less natural skill but those with more time simply get more opportunities to ‘get it right’.

That doesn’t solve the RNG problem of have vs have-not, all it does is shift it around. Not a solution, imo.

Vol.5241

Do you actually enjoy this style of play? You wouldn’t rather be rewarded for effort versus mindless zerging ad nauseam?

I play games for fun. I find farming/zerging fun and relaxing. But in the end I find making lots of gold to be my prime objective.

I don’t want to deal with the stress of memorizing boss fights and having to deal with strategy after a long day at work. Especially when the reward is not worth the effort.

If there was a way to make more gold doing dungeons or doing the gauntlet, I would do that instead.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

Do you actually enjoy this style of play? You wouldn’t rather be rewarded for effort versus mindless zerging ad nauseam? I am not concerned with the argument, that this is the system that is in place and you adapted to what was available. I am curious if this is actually the type of game play you find entertaining?

Actually yeah it’s really fun running around with a whole load of people killing stuff since I’m not a teenager and don’t have 10k hours to devote to learning a video game the way I used to.

OP: I’ve been playing for almost a year and haven’t gotten a precursor either. Anyone who says they’re getting 10 exo’s/week or something is either playing as their job or lying to you.

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

Actually yeah it’s really fun running around with a whole load of people killing stuff since I’m not a teenager and don’t have 10k hours to devote to learning a video game the way I used to.

OP: I’ve been playing for almost a year and haven’t gotten a precursor either. Anyone who says they’re getting 10 exo’s/week or something is either playing as their job or lying to you.

Given recent events and changes it’s not that rare anymore. I’m not disagreeing with your other statements but exo’s are definitely dropping a lot more. Certain ones especially, there are some going for 40-70 silver on the AH now.

Vol.5241

Given recent events and changes it’s not that rare anymore. I’m not disagreeing with your other statements but exo’s are definitely dropping a lot more. Certain ones especially, there are some going for 40-70 silver on the AH now.

They seem to be dropping more because of the champion loot. But I think the loot tables for exotics from champion boxes are different from mob drops.

[Permabanned on Forums]

ShadowPuppet.3746

Do you actually enjoy this style of play? You wouldn’t rather be rewarded for effort versus mindless zerging ad nauseam?

I play games for fun. I find farming/zerging fun and relaxing. But in the end I find making lots of gold to be my prime objective.

I don’t want to deal with the stress of memorizing boss fights and having to deal with strategy after a long day at work. Especially when the reward is not worth the effort.

If there was a way to make more gold doing dungeons or doing the gauntlet, I would do that instead.

Thank you for the reply, I am certainly glad that you get enjoyment from these types of activities and that they allow you to reach your goal, after all that is what game experiences should be about as you said “fun” for the individual. The problem however is that different people have different ideas as to what is “fun” so how can a fair system be implemented that rewards players that do not find this activity to their liking? I know I don’t enjoy the zerg farming even in the slightest, but as you pointed out the monetary rewards are no where near sufficient for doing other activities without basically placing myself at a disadvantage in what is going to become a extremely inflated market. RNG as you well know rewards time spent and nothing more and as such needs to be seriously looked into in reducing the amount of it in this game to ensure a healthy future for all gamers. Surely there has to be a way to reward people that enjoy the zerg style of play without making it based simply on chance.

Posted by: rizzo.1079

rizzo.1079

I haven’t been heavily farming champs but I got a lot more exo’s during Southsun than I have before or since and that was 1-2/day at best.

ShadowPuppet.3746

I am not a teenager nor 10k hours to devote to learning a video game either, but I still don’t find it entertaining in the slightest. I am not trying to take away from someone that does find this type of activity fun, it’s just the reward from it is so disproportionate compared to anything else based on rng that it makes it ridiculous to not do it if you don’t want to be “poor” in the game. Everyone should be able to have “fun” in whichever manner they see fit, but one method of acquiring goods should not be vastly superior over the other in terms of monetary gain.

Vol.5241

Thank you for the reply, I am certainly glad that you get enjoyment from these types of activities and that they allow you to reach your goal, after all that is what game experiences should be about as you said “fun” for the individual. The problem however is that different people have different ideas as to what is “fun” so how can a fair system be implemented that rewards players that do not find this activity to their liking? I know I don’t enjoy the zerg farming even in the slightest, but as you pointed out the monetary rewards are no where near sufficient for doing other activities without basically placing myself at a disadvantage in what is going to become a extremely inflated market. RNG as you well know rewards time spent and nothing more and as such needs to be seriously looked into in reducing the amount of it in this game to ensure a healthy future for all gamers. Surely there has to be a way to reward people that enjoy the zerg style of play without making it based simply on chance.

That’s the thing that Anet needs to balance. They need to find the right balance of activities with rewards. But it’s an impossible game – just like class balancing.

But no matter what Anet does, players will gravitate towards what is most efficient. It is pretty much guaranteed. Right now the most efficient way to make money is the meta events for LS. Before that it was gauntlet/anchorage.

If anet suddenly made, say, jumping puzzles the most efficient, you would see zergs doing jumping puzzles.

If anet suddenly made dungeons the most efficient, you would see more dungeon runs

If anet suddenly made WvW the most efficient, you would have wvw queues every single day at every hour.

No matter what Anet does, people will flock to it and they will doing it enmasse. So it’s a losing battle if you try to make everything rewarding.

The only way to counter this is to remove loot in game and provide fixed rewards for every single player on time spent in game doing anything. But at that point, we don’t have an MMO anymore.

[Permabanned on Forums]

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

There’s a ton of misunderstanding about randomness.

No, randomness is not broken if one player is luckier than another.

No, randomness is not broken if one player is incredible unlucky.

No, a string of bad luck does not guarantee you a string of good luck afterwards.

(edited by Ursan.7846)

Mesket.5728

No, a string of bad luck does not guarantee you a string of good luck afterwards.

But…

Yes, randomness is the most lazy solution for anything… and it is not acceptable for any serious project.

Imagine if a CEO decides to distributes his employees salary “randomly” or if the FIFA world cup is given random after all the matches. What would you think?

Exactly… one should always expect at least a bit more than just “RNG” coming from a company that sells a product.

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

True.

But let’s assume that due to some aspect of human nature there is a tendency to look at a long run of bad luck as a conspiracy or that there is something wrong with RNG. (Similarly, there’s a tendency to view a run of good luck as a pattern, but that’s less of an issue)

Now, the question I have is, if you assume that’s true. What should ANet do about it? I think saying “too kittening bad, it’s RNG and you’ve been unlucky” or “learn probability theory” is not the best approach.

This is why “streak breaking” code seems like a good idea to me. That way, if someone does have a string of bad luck, there’s always something good that will offset it. Similarly, someone who gets lots of great drops will get bad ones two.

Honestly, I’m not sure of the correct answer. But to ignore complaints or say “no it’s all in your head” is probably not the way to go.

One way this could be implemented to is have a “lucky loot table” and a “normal loot table”. Then for every x number of champions (or whatever) you kill you get a roll on the lucky loot table (something like at least a rare).

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

(edited by TooBz.3065)

Posted by: Ursan.7846

Ursan.7846

But…

Yes, randomness is the most lazy solution for anything… and it is not acceptable for any serious project.

Imagine if a CEO decides to distributes his employees salary “randomly” or if the FIFA world cup is given random after all the matches. What would you think?

Exactly… one should always expect at least a bit more than just “RNG” coming from a company that sells a product.

You talk like there’s no element of luck in the examples you use. They do. Promotions in companies involve a bit of luck of knowing the right people, being there at the right time, and doing the right thing. The FIFA world cup is never guaranteed to the best teams. Sometimes, you just get lucky and refs don’t notice your Hand of God.

Their talent and hard work puts them in a better position to succeed, but that doesn’t mean success is guaranteed. Putting thousands of rares into the MF will overall increase the probability of getting a precursor, but it’s not guaranteed.

Fortunately in GW2, you can actually buy the equivalent of FIFA world cup, guaranteed, with time spent if you’re so allergic to RNG. How would you feel, if you’re an owner spending billions on the most talented team in the world, but simply can’t win due to bad luck (i.e. injury, fluky goals, bad matchups, etc.)

Though this is quite irrelevant to my point. People in this thread don’t seem to understand the definition of randomness.

Mesket.5728

But…

You talk like there’s no element of luck in the examples you use. They do. Promotions in companies involve a bit of luck of knowing the right people, being there at the right time, and doing the right thing. The FIFA world cup is never guaranteed to the best teams. Sometimes, you just get lucky and refs don’t notice your Hand of God.

Their talent and hard work puts them in a better position to succeed, but that doesn’t mean success is guaranteed. Putting thousands of rares into the MF will overall increase the probability of getting a precursor, but it’s not guaranteed.

Fortunately in GW2, you can actually buy the equivalent of FIFA world cup, guaranteed, with time spent if you’re so allergic to RNG. How would you feel, if you’re an owner spending billions on the most talented team in the world, but simply can’t win due to bad luck (i.e. injury, fluky goals, bad matchups, etc.)

Though this is quite irrelevant to my point. People in this thread don’t seem to understand the definition of randomness.

your hand of god example made me smile since I am Argentinian

Even though you can say (and you are right at some extent) there is some luck involve, the process itself does not depend on luck: Promotions should be granted due hard work, so does increased payment and reward. Cups and rewards are granted due effort and commitment, not tossing a coin which is only used to choose sides. Anyway, they were just examples, no need to get deeper into those cases.

There is always a bit of luck in everything but luck should be attached to random events occurring and not to the reward at the end.

Posted by: Superfast.5901

Superfast.5901

i never saw the game as requiring rewards or lucky drops to gain enjoyment from. Please read my post on this forum and hopefully it will change how you think of the game!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-GW2-Appeals-To-The-Casual-Kid-In-Us

Posted by: Bonefield.9813

Bonefield.9813

It’s just luck, OP. Even running with 200%+ MF I’ve gotten a handful of exotics (all worth 2g or less) since the game started, and I don’t even try for things like weapons from lockboxes or exotics in the Mystic Forge because I know it’s just going to be a waste of money and time. But it’s been that way in every MMO I’ve played (and I’ve played a lot)—my wife is the one who consistently manages to roll an astonishingly fortunate character who swims in rare drops. I don’t know how MMO superstitious I am, but it has taught me to never count on luck for anything and to let go of things I absolutely need luck to achieve, so in the long run it’s probably been good for my peace of mind. It’s definitely saved me a lot of money and gold I might have wasted on gambling. :P

Mesket.5728

i never saw the game as requiring rewards or lucky drops to gain enjoyment from. Please read my post on this forum and hopefully it will change how you think of the game!

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/How-GW2-Appeals-To-The-Casual-Kid-In-Us

well,.. your post is nice even though I disagree completely when you talk about dungeons, what you mention there is exactly what I hate about this game “dungeoneering” even though im dungeon master since last year lol. But that would apply up to some extent… after a while, you need something shinny that says “hey! look all i’ve done!”

Posted by: Dirac.1307

Dirac.1307

I’ll point out that humans are notoriously bad at using “gut” judgments to evaluate statistical phenomena. We’re always looking for patterns where there are none. Combine this with confirmation bias and a few anecdotes you read on the forums or see on youtube, and you can convince yourself that someone at Anet has a personal vendetta against you and is determined to never let you get any exotic of any value.

HoD|The Dark Physics|The Dark Alchemy|King Moustache|[RAWR]

Posted by: Lucyfer.9517

Lucyfer.9517

Getting a pre to drop from an enemy is pretty much trying to win the lottery. Every ticket is as likely to win, no matter how many times you played before. There are people who play every day their whole lives and don’t ever win. The RNG here is no more broken. Just be happy that this particular RNG doesn’t have any sort of entry fee, unlike some other ones in the game.

Wouldn’t you get suspicious if same few people kept winning lottery over and over and over and over and over and over again?

Posted by: Essence Snow.3194

Essence Snow.3194

What evidence is there that it is not broken?

We’ve seen loot effecting issues a few times already admitted to. For those we saw the “same” (I use that figuratively) people claim that it was only rng being rng, yet we found out otherwise.

I’m more of a believer that it is broken since we’ve known it to be so in the past, see cases of it constantly, and have no evidence of it not being broken.

What logic is there to believe it’s not when all the evidence we have says it is?

Serenity now~Insanity later

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

RNG is a troll mechanic. It is a lazy way at giving the illusion of difficulty.

I’ve been playing 7 months and have 1k hours which, If I did the math right, is about 4 hours per day.

The most valuable item that has ever dropped for me was a black dye.

Posted by: gumoor.5674

gumoor.5674

I’m not even going to argue RNG, pseudo-RNG, quasi-RNG, pseudo-quasi-RNG, and outright rigged RNG. I have a lot of background in statistics (doctoral level). None of the arguments matter. It’s driving me also away from this game. They need a new behavioral psychologist on board because people reach a point where they realize that the rewards are just not there. Can I buy an exotic for less than 1G on the TP? Yes. Is that fun? No.

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

OP back when I actually cared I used to farm all day, every day…every zerg event of the week, everything. I never got anything good. To tell you the truth it reminds me mostly of Diablo 3..farming forever for absolutely worthless crap. Then you take all that worthless crap and get more worthless crap out of the mystic forge. Yea…then I stopped caring. I’ll tell you what tho, it was a hell of a way to dry up my desire to play the game.

Posted by: bravoart.5308

bravoart.5308

How you can tell your RNG is bad and MF is a joke:

I’m still getting support tokens for the Evon/Kiel event in my ‘wooden chests’.

Finally I recalled the stopgap solution of a great princess who was told that the
peasants had no bread and who responded: “Let them eat brioche.”

Posted by: Pictures.8954

Pictures.8954

I’m with the rest of you guys. I have HORRID luck. My character turned one year today and I rarely get any exotics, if at all. The mystic toilet is my biggest enemy and the hours I’ve played are crazy. I’m actually quite embarrassed to even state the total hours I’ve played. But needless to say, RNG most definitely hates me. For most people, it takes them the first 250 boxes or so to get a ticket. It takes me in the thousand/s to get a ticket if at all.

I still enjoy the game and a lot of the aspects it has, but RNG is my biggest nemesis. I threw in close to 20gs today in the mystic forge and got nothing worthwhile back. I tried my friend’s suggestion of 3 exotics and a mystic stone (He has gotten 5, yes 5 precursors this way). Three exotic staves and a mystic stone later, with myself closing my eyes hoping for something worthwhile, I end up getting a 98 silver torch back. I was so mad.

Maybe in the future mystic forge, maybe in the very near future I hope. Here’s hoping to our luck improving. May the RNG deity be in our midst soon.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

I wonder if the DR system is broken.

Recently I took a break for 2-3 days to where I did not log in at all. The day I came back I was getting good rewards left and right. Then after a few hours it stopped. I was no longer getting those rewards. Still was getting decent rewards but not the “Wow Look at this loot” rewards.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: Rovus.5428

Rovus.5428

I’ve had better luck recently, could get a exotic or 2 for the minimum amount of time i play each week thanks to Clockwork Chaos and Pavilion. However, when i first began playing, and played alot more than i do now, it took me 3 months to get my first exotic drop, which was Deathwish from a risen critter in Cursed Shore.

“Subtus pennas meas, pinnas meas interitum”

Alatum Interitum