Raids and housing coming to GW2!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

I hope that they make the raids hard, and with good rewards, and no RNG box Kitten

Posted by: TwoBit.5903

TwoBit.5903

What I would want GW2’s raids to look like:

What it will probably look like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=8CmZ5O_XjKs#t=521s

Edit: Timestamps not working for some reason. Scroll to 2:03 and 8:39 for the first and second vid respectively.

(edited by TwoBit.5903)

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

Ok for housing and guild house.

No for raids, they are taking away the things that made GW1 a great game and use many WoW things.

After kill many small guilds with Guild Missions they are planning kill more with raids ?

I suppose you never played Factions then?

They had “raids” there as well, in the only two end-game things in that campaign.

I have 7000 hours in GW1, yeah i play factions, Urgoth and Kanaxai was not raids, only because you need 12 players and other dungeons need 8 dont mean that is a raid, is 10 players de difference between a raid and a dungeon ?.

If you play WoW raids, the princippal difference with a instance is that generally Raids are long dungeons with a time limit reset( a week in WoW vanilla if i dont remember bad ) and a save feature after each boss to continue the next day, and you need comple it before the reset and if you are not the member of the raid you are screwed if you want to play.

Thats the principal issue, to many people raiding is like a job, you enter in a raid Guild and a serius guild have “raid time” to play all days same time to complete it before the reset, if you cant play one day in the “raid time” you are screwing your raid team so you forgot go next time, the Guild leaders want players who play all days the same time to have more chance to complete the raid, and now you have a job and if you cant do it every day you are fired.

And thats why many people are tired from WoWish raids, is not only a dungeon with many people like a event or Kanaxi and Urgoth, they are only dungeons called elite zones with 12 members and can be completed in the same time like UW or FOW, is the raid system who work like a job, and many people play GW1 to “escape” from the wow system.

If arena.net go for the same way sorry but dont count with me.

(edited by GonzoNeo.4965)

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

I hope that they make the raids hard, and with good rewards, and no RNG box Kitten

The safe money is that there will be a chest, and random stuff from the chest, with the dungeon unique items being on the lower end of the drop rate.

…Thats the way loot in loot games work. It is really amazing though how those BLTP chests have made everyone jump on the RNG hate wagon. Despite the fact it has always been and will always be a core game mechanic.

Borderlands, Torchlight, The Witcher, Diablo, Every MMO Ever, Destiny, The Division…on and on and on. The game you came from probably had RNG loot, the game you will move on to eventually will have RNG loot, the game you are playing on the side probably has RNG loot. Overcome an obstacle, kill a boss, interact with something shiny and hope you get something cool.

From some of your comments, it as if you think Anet invented this mechanic and it offends all of your delicate sensibilities.

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

If the items are available elsewhere, there is really no reward for doing the content. If you could buy TA armor, who would really do TA? I, myself, probably would since I do enjoy that dungeon, but the majority of people who run it for the gear, wouldn’t.

You kind of answer your own question there.

People that enjoy the content will do the content. If the content isn’t enjoyable, then WHY are you spending your free time playing it? It’s like a person that hates Cracker Jacks eating box after box of them because they like the prize inside. They’d be happier if they could eat what they want, and just buy the prizes elsewhere no matter what they’ve been eating.

If the only reason people will do a raid is for the reward at the end, then that’s not good content. Give us lots of choices as to how to earn the rewards, so we can play the parts we enjoy to get them. If that’s raids, fine. Give us some raids. And dungeons, and solo missions, and whatever else they can fit in.

But no good content will EVER be built with the expectation that players will have to do things they dislike to get a reward they want.

Oh, and +1 for Guild Houses and player housing.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m curious how housing would work having never played an MMO with housing unless they added it after I stopped playing it. I don’t mean this in a condescending way but what is the purpose of it? Is it just to have a place to hang out with some furniture and some pictures? Would there be special features like crafting stations? Would there be some other activity you can do in a house that you can’t to in other areas of the game? Would it have extra storage for items? How would a house be acquired? I’m guessing it would be like an instance otherwise there would be so many houses everywhere you couldn’t get around.

I am just making a guess but I imagine many house type cosmetic items or extra storage would somewhat involve the gem store. If this is the case I would think many people would be unhappy.

The Burninator

Posted by: CharrGirl.7896

CharrGirl.7896

The link is not working for me but if this is true then great news =)

Although I would personally like to see GUILD HALLS more then anything!

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Raids have been mentioned recently, along with one of the dev’s stating that they were developing their own twist on it. [Think this was on reddit somewhere. I remember seeing it and saying ‘huh ok’, but I’m not going to go hunt it up]

Player housing has been on their to do list since before launch. It is also an upcoming feature that has been on the wiki since launch as well.

Interesting to see some of it coming out though. We’ll see how it works out.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Palador.2170

I’m curious how housing would work having never played an MMO with housing unless they added it after I stopped playing it. I don’t mean this in a condescending way but what is the purpose of it? Is it just to have a place to hang out with some furniture and some pictures? Would there be special features like crafting stations? Would there be some other activity you can do in a house that you can’t to in other areas of the game? Would it have extra storage for items? How would a house be acquired? I’m guessing it would be like an instance otherwise there would be so many houses everywhere you couldn’t get around.

I am just making a guess but I imagine many house type cosmetic items or extra storage would somewhat involve the gem store. If this is the case I would think many people would be unhappy.

Well, City of Heroes had Super Group bases that had a few fun features to them. The one that I can most imagine being in GW2 is the teleporters.

Basically, if you got all the exploration badges (Points of Interest) in a zone while representing your group, the group got a “beacon” for that zone. Then, you could build a teleporter in your base (additional stuff to power it was also required), and attach some beacons to it. That teleporter would then be able to send you straight to that zone from within your base. Each teleporter could support only a couple of beacons, so if you wanted fast access to a lot of zones you needed several teleporters and the support systems for them all, as well as room for all of this stuff.

In GW2, such a system would be outstanding. Any small guild would be able to manage a guild house capable of teleporting to a couple of useful zones, while working up to a large guild house capable of connecting to most of the zones in the game would be a long term goal for even large guilds.

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I never raided, which is more of a time-commitment issue for me then anything else, and I most likely won’t raid here. But I think it can only be beneficial for the game.

Housing! Can’t remember the last time I visited a home-instance.
Housing!

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

JustTrogdor.7892

Well, City of Heroes had Super Group bases that had a few fun features to them. The one that I can most imagine being in GW2 is the teleporters.

Basically, if you got all the exploration badges (Points of Interest) in a zone while representing your group, the group got a “beacon” for that zone. Then, you could build a teleporter in your base (additional stuff to power it was also required), and attach some beacons to it. That teleporter would then be able to send you straight to that zone from within your base. Each teleporter could support only a couple of beacons, so if you wanted fast access to a lot of zones you needed several teleporters and the support systems for them all, as well as room for all of this stuff.

In GW2, such a system would be outstanding. Any small guild would be able to manage a guild house capable of teleporting to a couple of useful zones, while working up to a large guild house capable of connecting to most of the zones in the game would be a long term goal for even large guilds.

So it isn’t so much a house per say but more of a travel system? I suppose I was envisioning something more cosmetic when I thought of the concept. Maybe I have been playing too much Minecraft

It does sound like an interesting idea though.

The Burninator

Posted by: silvermember.8941

silvermember.8941

Ok for housing and guild house.

No for raids, they are taking away the things that made GW1 a great game and use many WoW things.

After kill many small guilds with Guild Missions they are planning kill more with raids ?

I suppose you never played Factions then?

They had “raids” there as well, in the only two end-game things in that campaign.

I have 7000 hours in GW1, yeah i play factions, Urgoth and Kanaxai was not raids, only because you need 12 players and other dungeons need 8 dont mean that is a raid, is 10 players de difference between a raid and a dungeon ?.

If you play WoW raids, the princippal difference with a instance is that generally Raids are long dungeons with a time limit reset( a week in WoW vanilla if i dont remember bad ) and a save feature after each boss to continue the next day, and you need comple it before the reset and if you are not the member of the raid you are screwed if you want to play.

The principle issue here is that you seem to have a different definition of raids than the people you are arguing against. They believe a large group of people doing something in a group is a raid which is the basic definition of a raid.

There is no definition that a raid has to be similar to WOW to be called a raid.

Other than that having raid like in WoW that includes progression would blow. I mean really blow, because eventually all the raiders are still going to whine how there is no progression involve and more will be added.

As u know im pro. ~Tomonobu Itagaki

This is an mmo forum, if someone isn’t whining chances are the game is dead.

Posted by: shawn.6793

shawn.6793

i would much prefer housing within a guild hall or instance, i hope they don’t dump your house in your home instance, that would be crappy, i want all my toons in one house, not here there and everywhere!

all good news though

Posted by: Mercurio.4970

Mercurio.4970

Housing is great news and will probably bring me back to the game. that’s why I left for rift! Hope fully they implement it the same was as that game, or EQ2. Multiple instanced set/houses with placeable/rotatable furnishings and stuff. although I wouldn’t hold out much hope for anything obtainable in-game. It will probably be full cash shop.

Musashin (80 Guard) – Dragolisk (80 Ele)
Artemix (80 Rang) – Mercurio Rex (80 War)
Nine Divines [ND] – Sorrow’s Furnace

(edited by Mercurio.4970)

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Housing is great news and will probably bring me back to the game. that’s why I left for rift!

I love housing but I dunno about Rift’s version… something about it, to me, was kinda meh.

I mean, I LOVED the control you had over everything in it, don’t get me wrong… but it took instanced housing to a new extreme. I really like actually seeing the house.

While I don’t expect to ever see UO style housing again, I can at least say I like Aion’s implementation (as long as they add enough low end housing for everyone to get one).

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

We need Zerg raids!

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

did the article get removed?

Posted by: Fiontar.4695

Fiontar.4695

Housing has always been on the docket for those that followed production for years pre-release. Our home districts were supposed to be evolving areas that showed our accomplishments, trophies, special NPCs and vendors. And we were supposed to be able to have guests into our home district to show off.

Seems like they are finally getting around to that stuff.

Sadly, I don’t think that is ever doing to happen. Even if housing is connected to the home district, I don’t ever expect them to deliver on that once much hyped feature.

Posted by: Melchior.2135

Melchior.2135

So it isn’t so much a house per say but more of a travel system? I suppose I was envisioning something more cosmetic when I thought of the concept. Maybe I have been playing too much Minecraft

Yeah, City of Heroes mainly used them as travel hubs, storage units and instanced crafting so you didn’t have to stand around the public crafting stations listening to all the SFX of other people’s aura powers (but gave you waaay more actual floorspace than was needed for either of those things, so the main purpose of a lot of bases wound up being RP). At the other end of the functionality scale, FFXI pretty much just gave you extra storage space.

How they’d work it out depends a lot on whether it’s Personal Housing, Guild Housing or some hybrid of both (if it’s just Guild Housing, anticipate a huge chunk of players reserving one of their 5 Guild selections for a private sanctuary). Popular things to place could include:

- Varying degrees of layout and visual customization
- Travel hubs via teleportation systems
- Private Crafting Stations and Auction interfaces (with how long LA and DR take to load for some computers, and how noisy they’ve become since the freaking Mariner’s Horns, this would be my biggest request)
- Additional storage
- Private Dueling areas, Customized “training” Mini-Dungeons, or even Guild-vs.-Guild Guildhall Invasion.
- Persistent buff dispensers (like Guild Banners, but don’t require as much forethought to set up, but probably have some minor per-use cost to the user)
- Gateways to additional content (City of Heroes let you get to a couple Trials and Strike Forces through SG bases, that game’s equivalent of Dungeons)
- Trophy storage (I’d love a zoo for my Ranger Pets too)

Former Guild Wars 2 fan. RIP, ArenaNet’s integrity.

Fiontar.4695

Wildstar, the next big Western MMO from NCSoft, has dungeons that scale from 1 to 40 people and housing from launch that actually is meaningful content. I figure GW2 is going to have to play catch up at some point, but it remains to be seen if they will be able to match the new high bar that Wildstar looks to set.

Good thing for NCSoft that they own both games. Good thing for GW2 fans, because hopefully the competition will get the developers back on the right track. IMO, the last ten months of development has been resources squandered for not much of anything. A little “sibling rivalry” may be just the thing ANet needs.

Posted by: Yumiko Ishida.3769

Yumiko Ishida.3769

Segas’ flagship mmo series (Phantasy Star) doesn’t and they have low to no RNG and set drop rates. But the exp grind is higher.

Yumiko Emi Ishida 80 Ele, Hikari Kyoko Ishida 80 Guard TC-NA. Active RPer of NA megaserver.

Fiontar.4695

Here is a brief youtube video of housing in Wildstar. ANet will have to work their kitten off to create something that won’t be an embarrassment in comparison:

http://youtu.be/5qyzcwRHcRQ

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I hope by raids they don’t mean 40-man instances.

I would be okay with 12-man instances however. Something like Urgoz from GW1. Maybe even 16-man instances like Vizunah Square!

As for housing, I can’t imagine how it’ll work. It will likely be placed inside the Home Instance, but what would be the point inside an instance if other players cannot see it? I guess it’s for personal an RP-purposes, but I don’t see the point.

(edited by Kain Francois.4328)

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

<——new to mmo’s
Is a Raid pretty much a big dungeon with more ppl?

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Posted by: Sleuth.7964

Sleuth.7964

Raids and Housing? THANK YOU JESUS.

Palador.2170

Oh, CoH had other things to do with bases too. While being told to deliver on decoration aspects on par with CoH’s SG Bases would make the GW2 devs lose bladder control and reach for the cyanide tablets, here’s some of the stuff I’ve seen made in CoH bases:

A forest.
A motel, with office and furnished rooms and bathrooms.
An apartment building.
A 4 level maze.
A beach, with campfire.
A lava pit.
A spaceship interior, with the occasional window out to a star field.
A cabin (in said forest).
A mechanic’s shop.
A hospital.
A street, with shops along one side.
2 Restaurants.
MANY bars.
A night club with two dance floors, DJ booths, a bar, and a restaurant.
(Black Friday SG Base on Virtue, for those that remember it.)
A forge.
Several swimming pools.
A sauna.
And the list goes on…

The important thing is to be very flexible with how you are allowed to use whatever decorations you’re given. Place things right, and they become something new. Like I said, I doubt we’ll see anything even close to this level of customization, but we’ll work with what we’re given.

We just need to be given it first, and so I threw out an idea I thought would appeal to both players and devs.

JustTrogdor.7892

Here is a brief youtube video of housing in Wildstar. ANet will have to work their kitten off to create something that won’t be an embarrassment in comparison:

For some reason every time I see this Wild Star it reminds me of Earthworm Jim.

The Burninator

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

<——new to mmo’s

Yes. That is pretty much the rough definition. Raids have been composed of 8-100+ players, depending on the game you are playing. Most raids these days in MMOs hover between 8 – 20 people.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

<——new to mmo’s

Yes. That is pretty much the rough definition. Raids have been composed of 8-100+ players, depending on the game you are playing. Most raids these days in MMOs hover between 8 – 20 people.

Ah okay. thanks

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

If this is true that Anet is trying to add in raid then in my opinion it would be a waist of time and effort. Remember Orr, yeah Orr where the player was suppose to storm the beach raid the temples and hold it position etc… That didn’t last long did it. What was to be a Raid content quickly got branded as Zerg content. I feel like the word Raid should be remove from gw2 vocab and replace it with Zerg permanently, given all that’s happen.

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

For some reason every time I see this Wild Star it reminds me of Earthworm Jim.

It reminds me quite a bit of it as well.

If this game does get housing, I can’t see it being anything like the kind of stuff Wildstar looks to have or the likes of SWG or UO had. But anything is better than nothing.

Posted by: DoctorOverlord.8620

DoctorOverlord.8620

<——new to mmo’s

Just to add a bit more background detail – the biggest MMO out there, World of Warcraft, has implemented raids where only a few of pieces of the best gear drop so only a few people in the group will get them. This is very different from GW2 dungeons where everyone gets the rewards/tokens after completing the dungeon.

This form of raiding requires the dungeon to be run multiple times so everyone in the group can get the gear (or sometimes only the chance of getting the gear).

Thus the term ‘gear grind’ is often applied to WoW’s form of raiding with negative connotations.

In a further, truly diabolical twist, players need their characters to be outfitted in the gear from the dungeon to progress to the next raid dungeon and see that content and follow that storyline. This is an idea spawned by the dark nether regions of nightmares, but we know who Blizzard has for a consultant
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/08/26

Check my GW2 Comic Dynamic Events http://goo.gl/JyB3J (Short Google Link to Fan Content Forum here)

Posted by: Phaedryn.3698

Phaedryn.3698

Raiding – No trinity, no gear progression. This should go over well…lol
Housing – How many RNG boxes will one have to buy to unlock their house?

Posted by: SkylightMoon.1980

SkylightMoon.1980

Despite my dislike for the idea of raids, and my extreme like for the idea of housing… it’s the housing that makes me doubt this guy’s story is true.

Many AAA MMOs since WoW have refused to add housing because of a fear that players will abandon the major cities and just chill out in their houses. I can’t say they are entirely wrong, since I would probably do exactly that. So for me, I have a hard time believing Anet would add housing, since some players already complain that cities other than DR and LA are rather hurting for people, even on big servers.

I would love it if that was true, but I have a sneaking suspicion we’re going to see a red post saying “nope” soon.

No anet has confirmed player housing and guild halls will come eventually, they did that way back in the beginning of the game. GW1 had it. The guy didnt even give an ETA so lets not get everyone too excited yet.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Well, I’m happy they are listening to the people that want raids, even though it is the minority wanting them.
Hopefully they will add duels, other pvp modes and mounts to the game in the future.

Posted by: lekyii.9856

lekyii.9856

The safe money is that there will be a chest, and random stuff from the chest, with the dungeon unique items being on the lower end of the drop rate.

…Thats the way loot in loot games work. It is really amazing though how those BLTP chests have made everyone jump on the RNG hate wagon. Despite the fact it has always been and will always be a core game mechanic.

Borderlands, Torchlight, The Witcher, Diablo, Every MMO Ever, Destiny, The Division…on and on and on. The game you came from probably had RNG loot, the game you will move on to eventually will have RNG loot, the game you are playing on the side probably has RNG loot. Overcome an obstacle, kill a boss, interact with something shiny and hope you get something cool.

From some of your comments, it as if you think Anet invented this mechanic and it offends all of your delicate sensibilities.

I know that Anet didnt create the RNG or the RNG boxes, but this is the first B2p game that i am playing and i have to say that i dont like the RNG in the cash shop.

Now RNG in-game, that happend in every games its true, but in others MMO when i kill a boss i get a “Exotic or a rare” even if is not the one that i want, here i get a Green and a blue and sometimes a rare and once a year a exotic.

What im trying to say is that even if the loot is not what you want (item x Rare/Exotic) because is RNG you still get (item z ) that are the same Quality item(Rare/exotic), this in others MMo(the MMO that i played) but in gw2 if you kill a boss in a dungeon or in fractals you can get a exotic but you normaly get blues and greens and even whites, and thats a poor Reward system.

I understand that with the Gold to gem feature you have to “control” or “Restrict” the good loot but cmon, gives something good not only Blues and greens.

This new instance have a better reward system, you get a bag of coins with 1g and a 100% chance of getting a rare i think and still the rest of the loot from the chests, that great.

However for that reward system work they need to Nerf Cof gold per run, or Revamp Cof to take more time otherwise ppl will do cof because it gives more money per Hour.

Posted by: Drakenvold.9761

Drakenvold.9761

something similar would be pretty awesome

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

Maybe they should actually concentrate on fixing the game 1st , stop making non permanent (bugged )events that offer nothing new. Just grinding for something over and over hidden under new characters and skins.

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Good, more content nobody will bother to do in one month after release.

The last update bring new airs to this game, shame it didn’t last. Oh well, time to move on I guess (anyone know a non-kittenty-wow-clone game?).

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Posted by: Itachi Hitokiri.6348

Itachi Hitokiri.6348

All sounds good to me, I wouldn’t mind some 8 player missions.

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

Extraordinary! Finally, I can spend my 2.1million karma on housing items! I think I may just stick around after all.

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Raiding doesn’t have to be about item progression when a game isn’t worried about needless timesinks to keep players paying sub fees. The B2P model opens up new possibilities.

Imagine the idea of designing raiding content whose main goal is to be fun

Exactly, just like acquiring Legendaries!

Oh, wait…

This is a huge mistake. Raids will likely be the same RNG-filled content seen both everywhere else in the game and in all other MMORPGs. Instead of trying to refine the kind of content unique to GW2, just trying to cater to the MMO locusts who jump from MMO to MMO looking for the perfect WoW clone is a recipe for failure.

Plus, ArenaNet has always been rather poor when designing “end game content”. Prophecies had no end game content at release, when the Underworld and Fissure of Woe were added they had a very silly gating mechanic, and it took years to make those somewhat interesting. Factions’ The Deep and Urgoz’s Warren had severe bugs that took ArenaNet years to be fixed, and were killed due to the company’s poor design. Nightfall’s Domain of Anguish was such a huge mess that ArenaNet had to change it considerably multiple times, and all people ever did there was farm.

I would rather see more content like we have in Queensdale – an area rich with dynamic events that chain from each other, telling multiple small stories here and there – than a “raid”. Too bad ArenaNet doesn’t understand where its own game shines the most.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

That video from Wildstar looked impressive to say the least.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If the items are available elsewhere, there is really no reward for doing the content. If you could buy TA armor, who would really do TA?

You know, that’s a very sad statement about the content in this game. So, basically, dungeons are not worth doing unless it is for some unique reward?

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Well if they ever get balance right, great, if not Rangers wont be accepted to raids anyway, so oh well..

Housing is a fun off shoot, but not really the same as Guild halls.

And the fact that the report was removed says to me its not true anyway..

Posted by: Marcus Greythorne.6843

Marcus Greythorne.6843

@Karizee: very misleading what you did there, they only said that they have THEIR version of raids, like an answer to raiding… not that there ARE raids (as we know them).

http://gw2style.com/index.php – show your look and rate others – great filters!!

Posted by: Sterz.2463

Sterz.2463

Raids!? oh no ….

please no item progression

Honestly this game needs item progression. Once you get your favorite cosmetic looking armor and transmute it with any old exotics with your desired stats, your characters gear progression utterly stops. These monthly sidegames/quests are just a way to distract us from any sort of meaningful progression. The only progression this game has after 80 is through achievements and FotM.

Posted by: Sterz.2463

Sterz.2463

If the items are available elsewhere, there is really no reward for doing the content. If you could buy TA armor, who would really do TA?

You know, that’s a very sad statement about the content in this game. So, basically, dungeons are not worth doing unless it is for some unique reward?

…Yes. People have lives. Who wants to spend hours doing an instance where they get a few gold and rares in their end boss chest? Do you honestly think most MMO players are thinking “oh sweet I cant wait for this awesome challenge in this dungeon”…no they want to get that sweet rare reward at the end. Might as well PvP if your not going to get rewarded for playing content.

Posted by: Erasculio.2914

Erasculio.2914

Do you honestly think most MMO players are thinking “oh sweet I cant wait for this awesome challenge in this dungeon”…no they want to get that sweet rare reward at the end.

Yep. And that’s why MMORPGs are all mediocre games – because their players are willing to stop being human beings and instead lower themselves to the level of Skinner rats, blindly pushing their little levers hoping for a new shiny.

Good games are fun, and said fun is its own reward. Unfortunatelly, WoW and alikes taught developers that there are a lot of players willing to accept content that is not fun (and fun content is very hard to create) as long as it’s content they can get addicted to.

Unfortunatelly (or fortunatelly, depending of your point of view) most of humanity is made by human beings. Thus, while millions of players are willing to lower themselves to gear grind, there aren’t more players so easily deceived than that. The result is that no MMORPG has been hugely successful after WoW, because there are not that many more players entering their niche market (the Skinner rat audience).

Trying to make one more Skinner box is not going to work. There are a lot of those out there and none of them has been a huge success in the last years. If Guild Wars 2 were to be successful, ArenaNet should have embraced the philosophy they stated in their Manifesto – it’s in my signature, but the idea was to make a MMO for people who don’t like the current MMO, in other words a MMO meant to be fun, not a MMO meant to be an addiction.

Too bad they have changed their minds.

“I think that players are starting to mature past the point of wanting to be on that
treadmill, of being in that obvious pattern of every time I catch up you are going to
put another carrot in front of me” – Mike O’Brien right before Ascended weapons

Palador.2170

…Yes. People have lives. Who wants to spend hours doing an instance where they get a few gold and rares in their end boss chest? Do you honestly think most MMO players are thinking “oh sweet I cant wait for this awesome challenge in this dungeon”…no they want to get that sweet rare reward at the end. Might as well PvP if your not going to get rewarded for playing content.

And some people enjoy PvP enough that they do it just for the enjoyment. But what person really WANTS to spend hours doing an instance where the thing they look forward to most is… it ending? Is THAT what you want to do with the limited spare time in your life?

In single player games, what are you playing for? There’s nobody else in the game, nobody to be better than. Nobody to see what armor you’re wearing, or what weapon you’re using. And when the game ends, it ends. There’s no more for that game, it doesn’t matter how advanced your character is, if the game even involves a character. In the end, the only real reward is enjoying the game, and that’s why people play them.

If an MMO… if Guild Wars 2 can’t learn from that and bring it to the game, then they’ve failed. If they can’t make the game itself fun enough to play without pulling psychological tricks to keep people playing, then they need to just give up and shut the game down. There’s plenty of WoW clones out there, the world doesn’t need another. It needs some thing better. The devs here said they could make that something better, and I can only hope they’re not giving up yet.