Random Armor in Store, again?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jaken.6801

Jaken.6801

Let me get this straight, i do not mind new content in game.

The problem is, they have to make some kind of sense.

First we got the Flamekissed, then the Phalanx armor, Zodiac and now we got the new set, without any relation to anything ingame.

While we can argue that the Zodiac armor has some relation to the zodiac weaponset that was released with in black lion chests, it is still a stretch if we bring lore into play.

So far everything prior had some connection to things of the past or something that was happening in the living story.

Now we get more and more things that just feel random. They are cool but random.

Can we get stuff related to the game, instead of some random assets again?

btw. Can we also get stuff ingame? I know at the beginning players told you they would pay for additional armor and weapon skins, but that was based on the asumption that you would put in game to get as time goes on.
Right now we got five (or even more) new gemstore skinsets (15 new different skins) several armor pieces and only 3 new sets to aquire in game (which would be the ascended armor).

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

Zodiac was a GW1 set from Factions so at least the NAME is fully lore friendly.

You do understand that the gem store is the only method of income Anet has besides new game sales….right? I’m not saying your request is unreasonable, but on the other hand they DO need to make money for the game to stay online.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

If they introduced a famous Tyrian tailor NPC which designed these armours similar to Evon who sells them, would those become more related to the game?

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Shirogatsu.3150

Shirogatsu.3150

Zodiac was a GW1 set from Factions so at least the NAME is fully lore friendly.

You do understand that the gem store is the only method of income Anet has besides new game sales….right? I’m not saying your request is unreasonable, but on the other hand they DO need to make money for the game to stay online.

I think you miss the point. The problem is that new armor doesn’t fit global theme at all and there is no connection betweeen game and new armor.
Good example:
New Pact armor
New Maguuma Jungle themed armor
New Seraph armor
etc

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

So, if they had named it Pact or Maguuma or Seraph or Bubble armor, would that do? It’s just a name, really.

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

The medium coat isn’t as covering as they usually are, this is great. (aside from the dangling sides, but that’s not a big deal)

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

So, if they had named it Pact or Maguuma or Seraph or Bubble armor, would that do? It’s just a name, really.

No, it wouldn’t do.

I think I see what he’s getting at. All the new armor is disconnected from the game world itself. There’s plenty of stuff in the game world to draw from and link to, but this stuff is appearing out of the blue.

Even the Zodiac weapons and armor, despite any GW1 links, are just appearing out of nowhere. No NPCs have them, no storyline about some artificer getting a hold of some of the zodiac material and learning to replicate it took place. It’s just “Hey, we bought it in the gemstore, and now it’s here. Hooray!”

Just calling it “New Seraph Armor” will not do. Calling it that and having a new squad of special Seraph or the Fallen Angels in Ebonhawke start wearing it WOULD work.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: bob.5680

bob.5680

Sigh, I guess the old addage “You can’t please all the people all the time” applies. I like the new armor and am glad they added it. As for the lore related armor, I find most of it ugly.

Posted by: Yamagawa.5941

Yamagawa.5941

So I’m not missing out on the content that introduced these skins?

Whew. Was worried I’d missed some epic series of updates while my computer was broken…
//Portable Corpse

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

With the wardrobe & transmutation charges change, Anet wanted to put a new set of armor in the gem store to entice us to buy them. They figure everyone’s going to be changing their appearance, why not make some money too. That’s the link.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

bob.5680

And, if you don’t like or want the armor you can simply ignore it.

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

We’ve had Marjory’s, Kasmeer’s, Rox’s weapons in gemstore; we had Grenth hood in store – to name a few. All of those are connected.

We’ve had tons of LS skins as achievements, some as drops; we’ve had Scarlet’s rifle, Jetpack, Monocle, Wurm armour as drops; we had Dwayna, Balthazar backpacks – those all are not gemstore items.

I see no problem if from time to time we do have disconnected items in gemstore. After all, putting a reason for everything would turn the game into a complete reference mess.

20 level 80s and counting.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I like the new armor too, but I really wish the armor was released at points in time that made sense. Somebody else suggested a few weeks ago to release Lion’s Arch survivor scraps armor when we fought there. The Rox/Braham/Kasmeer/Jory armors, weapon skins and hairstyles were released at some random point later, not when the characters were introduced.

Sales would go up a lot if those skins were released at the “right” point in time: when everybody wants them.

Jaken.6801

Sigh, I guess the old addage “You can’t please all the people all the time” applies. I like the new armor and am glad they added it. As for the lore related armor, I find most of it ugly.

It is not about the design… geez does anyone even read?

It is about the fact that they do feel not connected to the game at all, just: “Here, have some armor.”

Yes, more armor is always apreciated, but most of the time they took great care to make it fit into the games narrative.
That is not the case with a lot of these armors that have come out recently.

Posted by: Traveller.7496

Traveller.7496

I thought that the new armors had some kind of insect motif. It does feel really random. I would like it more that gemstore armors were released with some kind of in-game theme.

Posted by: Balsa.3951

Balsa.3951

im ok with this gemstore stuff

maybe Anet could develope a Drawfen Blacksmith merchant who comes every months with some eurika Moments.

That way those armors get some story?

I even would get so far to hype them that way that we see how the Drawf is slowly form them. so every week those designs become more clear.

Till we can see it finish in his Workshop where we can try it on

Just an idea?

Posted by: Sirius.4510

Sirius.4510

I don’t know why it’s so important for armor skins to have a story behind them. The crafted skins in game at release didn’t.

For the weird stuff like Zodiac, OK… but Rampart/Strider’s, does it really matter?

Just a random PuGgle.
Stormbluff Isle ( http://www.stormbluffisle.com )

bob.5680

It is not about the design… geez does anyone even read?

It is about the fact that they do feel not connected to the game at all, just: “Here, have some armor.”

Yes, more armor is always apreciated, but most of the time they took great care to make it fit into the games narrative.
That is not the case with a lot of these armors that have come out recently.

Yep I read what you posted. All I’m saying is that lore related armor isn’t that important to me. Apparently it is to you. So they pleased me and didn’t please you. That was my point.

Posted by: HyruleanHyroe.1473

HyruleanHyroe.1473

As a side note, anything in the gemstore is available without paying a cent if you earn enough in-game gold to buy it. Yes, gems are expensive that way, but they need to be or Anet wouldn’t make a penny. “It’s only available in the gemstore” is never a valid complaint because of this mechanic.

Also, I LOVE the Rampart armor (minus the helm) and am happy to have it regardless of story. I’d love to see more gemstore options for Heavy classes that don’t look like they were designed by a deranged stripper.

I have a “band”, Beatiatrician: http://youtu.be/zw_Sl-El8_I

Jaken.6801

As a side note, anything in the gemstore is available without paying a cent if you earn enough in-game gold to buy it. Yes, gems are expensive that way, but they need to be or Anet wouldn’t make a penny. “It’s only available in the gemstore” is never a valid complaint because of this mechanic.

Also, I LOVE the Rampart armor (minus the helm) and am happy to have it regardless of story. I’d love to see more gemstore options for Heavy classes that don’t look like they were designed by a deranged stripper.

Yeah Yeah, the good old gold to gem argument… still not earning stuff through skill but through farming etc.. counteragrument, continue, can go on forever…
Again not the point.

It is nice that you love the design but again.. i said more armor is always good…, so yeah…

I take the argument that they are only available in the gemstore, though. That is something i added in as a sidenote myself so give you that

Anyway @bob

Actually you have a point. Not everyone cares about lore so it is easy and convinient for them to just hammer out armor for people who want just more choice.
In some way it they actually make some sense, since the gemstore is more or less outside of the game… Except they call it Black Lion Store, which is connected to the game through Evon and all the other things and…
kitten, we do not get any further here…. Yeah you are right, you cannot please everyone.. but they can at least try, cant they?
I mean they justified the end of repaircosts in their blogpost with Evon`s union, why can`t they give us some backstory for the armorsets they push out like crazy the last few months -_-

Posted by: DigitalKirin.9714

DigitalKirin.9714

What’s the lore behind the Winged Set?

Genevieve Talbot [NP] – Noble Phantasm on Stormbluff Isle

Jaken.6801

What’s the lore behind the Winged Set?

As it is a crafted set, it is usually part of the design. So the crafter said “hey, lets put some wings on it.”

Good question though. There is the problems with some sets in game. Most of them can be atributed to the way they are aquired though (you craft it, you put wings on it. why? maybe it is a fashion thing in Tyria. You are the tailor. ) to make some sense.
Like the Karma armor and their recipes are native to the area where they are found, or being made by the ones that live theire.

Yes, i agree. The armor does not need to have an explanation, but it helps to give breath more life into the world.

I mean, i do not know about you, but i want to know why we got some burning armor all of the sudden. It could be something epic behind that, instead it is: buy gems to look “hot”, pun intended.

Why do we have some blue galaxy armor? are they sick, aliens? Zodiac? I know that, but wasn`t that part of Cantha?

Point is, you can be “lazy” with some lore, but if you litteraly shove it in our face to sell it, there should be a little bit more effort.

I mean, look at the heavy. It has a insect themed helmet. a fecet eye.. It looks cool.
However i cannot connect it to something ingame, giving me a feeling that it does not really belong in there.

Posted by: butch.8136

butch.8136

I think it’s more of an issue that every single new armor set is in the gemstore, imo. This leaves me little hope that we’ll get pvp exclusive armor sets and legendaries.

Razor xxxx (Desolation ; Off)
Bring back: ‘Gamer’ title + MAT’s!
Throw out: Hotjoin!