Reached 80 Started an Alt but just got bored of it...

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Direwolf.7812

Direwolf.7812

So I’ve reached level 80 a few weeks back, farmed dungeon gears, fought world bosses, participated in WvW & sPvP.

I quickly got bored with the lack of things to do that is not repetitive in the game so I thought I could play an Alt and level it up…

Problem is, even though I started in a different area (different race) I’ve already been through all the map throughout the game on my main and repeating the area with my alt just seems really really boring because i’ve been here and done that already…

I tried to play an alt and got him to around level 15-20 and quickly got bored of the repetitiveness and couldn’t continue…

I really want to enjoy GW2, I really want to support the game that originally entertained me for hours on end (GW1)… But somehow it just doesnt feel ‘fun’ anymore.

The dungeon’s in theory sounds really good.
In reality though, people only farm the dungeon for gear and run the same mode. ie. Magg for CoF only. First time around, the dungeons were quite fun, but then after repeating it 10-20 times it got boring fast. I’ve ran dungeons in other games a lot as well, but for some reason I didn’t really get bored of it that much. I think the reason for that would be because in other mmo’s dungeon drops from bosses actually drop above average loot. In GW2 the chests gives me WHITE (80%), BLUE,GREEN loots. Never have I seen a rare drop and that just puts you off from running the dungeons altogether once you already have your dungeon gear…

PvE maps, I could understand why I got bored fast with my alt. As i’ve already been through the area and experienced the DE’s and heart quests it just got repetitive. This goes the same with other MMOs.

WvW- You walk for hours on end to a tower/castle to your zerg group to face another zerg group and try and capture their tower/castle or depend your one. It is pretty fun, until you die and have to walk for hours on end back to the location… There aren’t enough waypoints !!! WvW is only fun for like an hour, then it gets pretty boring as well, all you do is follow the zerg train to capture points, the actual fights gets really messy with all the ranged aoe’s and projectiles all over the place. Most the time you just spam aoe’s and spells towards the enemy group hoping to hurt some of them. Even if they are downed, you cant really finish them off as you will be instantly killed by all the aoe’s if you get too close.

/ End rant…

Please motivate me to play again!!!!

Posted by: Borges.5927

Borges.5927

I’m 53 right now and I can see this happening once I hit 80.

Will be hard to play it again unless I do it just for the main story.

Direwolf.7812

O man… I don’t want to spoil it for you but the final mission of the storyline where you fight zhaitan…. is so…. disappointing…

Posted by: Draygo.9473

Draygo.9473

Take a break from the game.

Delarme
Apathy Inc [Ai]

Direwolf.7812

I’ve never really played it in excess from the start though. I’ve always played it casually, I work full time, get home around 8pm. I only get to play the game for 2-3 hours a day, abit more on the weekends, but thats about it.

Posted by: Arazel.4185

Arazel.4185

I was thinking about this the other day. I am working on 100% map completion and have finished most of the starting zones. If I decide to make an alt, there will be no new areas to explore. I guess it’s no different from WoW though since I’ve done all the zones there 1000 times too. Regardless, it’s still fun to learn a new class.

Posted by: fingis.2867

fingis.2867

I’m not going to roll and alt.

I’m at 80 and if WvW doesn’t do it for me, I’m going to check out all the new games that have come out recently.

Posted by: Revenant.2691

Revenant.2691

This is exactly what caused me to quit SWTOR. Then TSW. I think a big part of it is, honestly, the fact that you can solo 95% of the content in the game. The thing that got me hooked on GW1 and the only other MMORPG that every got me hooked for more than a year (decade, actually), Anarchy Online, was that you had to group up for a lot of the content. Here, you don’t even have to group up for a World Boss. Just a bunch of people show up, kill it, and leave without saying a word to each other 90% of the time. I never got bored re-doing even the most basic zones in GW1 because there was always a new and (most of the time) interesting group of people to do the content with, in a way that required you to talk to each other. Welcome to the Massively Singleplayer Online Game experience ;p

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

481 hours in, and I am still having a blast.

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

This is exactly what caused me to quit SWTOR. Then TSW. I think a big part of it is, honestly, the fact that you can solo 95% of the content in the game.

you cant solo any of the pvp, which is like 50% of the game. this isnt a PVE-only game…GW2 is known for its pvp, like its predecessor. the PVE is above average. we just need more content.

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Posted by: nerva.7940

nerva.7940

481 hours in, and I am still having a blast.

lol wow. i just passed the 200 mark…for some reason im playing more now =P

Ikiro – 80 Ranger
Umie – 80 Guardian
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgLbWtvtzdU0Ho0zto6VnTQ

Revenant.2691

Nerva, you know what I mean. First off, by Anet’s statistics only 30% of players PvP. I myself spend more time in WvW than anything now that I’ve hit 80, but excellent PvP does not excuse lacking PvE. That’s a cop-out. Game needs more high-level content.

Posted by: Idunaz.5317

Idunaz.5317

Is there a way to check your in game played time?

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

These threads really need to be consolidated.

Idunaz

Type /age in game.

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

I only had to read the title of the thread and the first sentence to get the gist of it. You rushed to reach level 80 and are now burned out on the game. There’s plenty to do, though no MMO exists to entertain someone 24/7.

Posted by: wookie slayer.4259

wookie slayer.4259

WAR OF THE ROSES!!!! COMES OUT THIS WEEK

wookie slayer.4259

These threads really need to be consolidated.

Idunaz

Type /age in game.

they do but its hard to find the old threads because its so active and the search doesnt work well

Posted by: Fozzik.1742

Fozzik.1742

There are (or were) like six of them on the front page of this forum. They are actively closing them now…which is okay, but it would be so much more tidy if they just had a sticky “ENDGAME” thread where everyone could add their 2 cents, rather than starting their own.

I know I really shouldn’t be commenting on how forums are modded. It’s a hard job, and I know they are actively working on it. It’s just frustrating to come on here every morning and find a bunch of new threads on exactly the same topics pushing out any useful discussion of anything else.

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

I’ve never really played it in excess from the start though. I’ve always played it casually, I work full time, get home around 8pm. I only get to play the game for 2-3 hours a day, abit more on the weekends, but thats about it.

Erm, I really begin to wonder if there is something wrong with me. You say you hit Lvl 80, did several dungeons 10-20 times, did PvP alot, run an alt?? The game is out for a month or so and considering that you really played it 2-3 hours a day you can’t have spend much more than 100 hours or so.

Erm I played like 60 or 70 hours and I’m around Lvl 30, did no dungeons at all and I’ve done only a tiny bit of PvP so far. So even considering that I’m ulitmately slow I still don’t get it how you can have done all this in that short time.

wookie slayer.4259

after 70 hours yous should be closer to 60’s the highest exp cap is designed to take you an hourish

Posted by: xerxys.2635

xerxys.2635

diu u say u got all the titles in the game? oh, yes u can quit now

Posted by: Pirlipat.2479

Pirlipat.2479

@wookie slayer: Well, like I said I AM slow, but still…

wookie slayer.4259

hey its no big deal you still got a lot of game in front of you be happy

Posted by: martin.8216

martin.8216

any game that you play 400h+ gotto be one of the best investment in entertainment.. thats like what 15cents per hour! what other entertainment can you get that from!!

This is not a “Lifestyle” game.. its a single player (where you can play with some 4-5 friends) game disguised as a MMO… WoW in the hardcore guilds was a lifestyle choice, if you were not ready to spend between 5-10h per day you could not keep up, and people coming from that background, GW2 must appear very empty and short..

for me, with maybe 10-12h game time per week this is an awesome game where i feel i progress just at the right pace to enjoy the journey as well as the rate of progress.. but thats me..

wookie slayer.4259

diu u say u got all the titles in the game? oh, yes u can quit now

Titles are pretty well ehh, I dont care to get them if I do I do but I’m not got do random not necessarily fun things to get titles…not sure if you comment was a joke or not

Revenant.2691

I think a lot of it has to do with class and playstyle, tbh. First character I rolled was an Engineer, got to level 44 in about 4 days, including a weekend. Rolled a Guardian after that and hit 50 in two weekdays, 80 a few days after that. Even then, I spent a lot of time exploring, was by no means “rushing” to level as some people claim. Constantly. Even managed to keep both the crafting professions I chose initially on par with my level during that time.

Posted by: Meldwyn.8592

Meldwyn.8592

There is no sub, so play something else for a while.

I was just chatting with a guildie last night about two things related to this. First, no MMO will ever give you that “wow, this is amazing” feeling ever again, like the first one you played. Second, this game doesn’t necessarily breed that “I have to log on, its all I think about” kind of feeling. but the good thing is, its not a sub, so it doesn’t matter if I don’t play for a day or two or three. It is here when I want to play. I can do any number of things when logged on, but most important is grouping and chatting with friends/guildies while doing them.

Oh, and if you zoom out and look at the entire map of Tyria, Arenanet has plenty of real estate to develop in the future. There is more to come, if all goes well.

Just my .02$

Direwolf.7812

I only had to read the title of the thread and the first sentence to get the gist of it. You rushed to reach level 80 and are now burned out on the game. There’s plenty to do, though no MMO exists to entertain someone 24/7.

Actually I didn’t rush to 80 at all. It took me quite a while to get to 80, by the time i was 80 most of random guys around me were already 80 before me. I didn’t even realise that i was 80 when i reached it as i was crafting…

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’ve thought about this too and, after getting 100% completion on a few maps with my main, realized I should just play through until I’m high enough for the next zone and move on (aside from the skill challenges…need those). I’m an alt-oholic and I know I’ll be playing through this game a few more times with other characters so I don’t want to do it all right now. I scoured the Shiverpeaks with my Ranger for pets, but I didn’t explore too much…want it to be a surprise for my next character. I’ll get 100% map completion eventually though. Just not quite yet.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: Valkyrie.2678

Valkyrie.2678

I’ve done everything possible in this game with my main character, except for crafting a legendary. Now I have a 24 level mesmer as my alternative, I’m still getting bored. I think I’ll make it 80 too but then, I’m totally done with this game until the next content update.

Seriously, this game is dead boring once you hit 80.

Posted by: Nemmar.8491

Nemmar.8491

Direwolf, dont feel bad about it. This realisation will come to every player once they grow out of the hype.
The game has daring flaws, wich some of us can see straight away and others take a while.

Only reason i still bother to visit these forums is because i love GW1 and want to see GW2 reach that plateau of quality. The game tried too hard to be different to everything else, including GW1, and by doing that it lost its way to the plateau of fun gameplay. Anet needs to realise that and make changes to the game to save it.

Posted by: ituhata.6830

ituhata.6830

To me its learning to play a new class. Because I want 100% map completion on my main I’ve been to all the starting zones and really only have the top 3 zones left to explore, so no matter what race I chose to play I have seen it all. I’ve gone solely down the Ranger route without really giving any of the other classes a fair chance to mature and see what they are like at least until all the weapon skills are opened up.

Caelthras – Fort Aspenwood
3rd Flora Artillery Unit

Posted by: Stevoli.8795

Stevoli.8795

I don’t know why you guys did 100% map completion on one character. That seems like something you’d go for after you’re done with everything else. You basically killed the replay value of it by doing that. I’m waiting until I level up all of my alts first, then I’ll go back with my main and get 100% for the achievement.