Real underlying problem of GW2

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Jae.5138

Jae.5138

Many people are pointing out the problems within the game they think are holding this amazing game mechanics back – either it’s lack of new permanent content, the overall sluggish response from devs, PVP not even close to becoming an e-sport, etc.

And they’re all right. Absolutely correct. But they’re not addressing the root of the problem.

And the root goes to this:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/guildwars/guild-wars-2s-future-we-dont-need-expansion-pay-bills

what do I mean by that? I mean that this company is full of wonderful developers, full of amazing ideas and talents from the industry. What this company is not is a good business. Clearly the director does not understand that as a company, success is defined by GROWTH, not SUSTAINABILITY.

Yes, sure. Perhaps your current in game payment system can sustain your business. Pays for the office space, the devs salary, etc. But that’s not the point, is it? You should be aiming higher – more revenue – that allows for buying power. It allows for you to expand the company. Bring in more talents. More manpower means more content, faster.

Every post from Jonathan and other devs almost seem like a cry of frustration to me. They’ve got great visions. They’ve got the means, the plans, yet not enough man power. It’s been a year and yes, there have been significant changes but none of it enough. And now the only expansion of the team that’s been publicly announced had been that a communications position was filled to chat it up with players on forum, and that there’s a team working to expand to china. That’s it. Shame on you, the management team and the board of directors or whoever you are who ran this business to ground.

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Bring in more talents. More manpower means more content, faster.

Not necessarily. More people may mean more management and red tape, reducing the effectiveness of the team.

In programming, more bodies does not always make the job better.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Every post from Jonathan and other devs almost seem like a cry of frustration to me.

Indeed, and Cry of Frustration gives stacks of confusion, which seems the status you are in! /jk

Now really, what basis do you rely your conclusions that the company is experiencing sustainabily instead of growth? With Gigantic gaming companies behind ANet, shaping the business model, do you honestly believe that the actual business model is bad?

“What growth rate they want for Gw2?” This is the real question and the one nor you nor me have the answer to. For you it seems slow and dull, for them it may be perfect this way.

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Jae.5138

Every post from Jonathan and other devs almost seem like a cry of frustration to me.

Indeed, and Cry of Frustration gives stacks of confusion, which seems the status you are in! /jk

Now really, what basis do you rely your conclusions that the company is experiencing sustainabily instead of growth? With Gigantic gaming companies behind ANet, shaping the business model, do you honestly believe that the actual business model is bad?

“What growth rate they want for Gw2?” This is the real question and the one nor you nor me have the answer to. For you it seems slow and dull, for them it may be perfect this way.

/cheers

If it seems perfect this way then clearly there’s something wrong with the company considering the amount of complaints on the forum about how the game’s hardly changed at all in the past year.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

/cheers

If it seems perfect this way then clearly there’s something wrong with the company considering the amount of complaints on the forum about how the game’s hardly changed at all in the past year.

When one grows accustomed to receiving things one looses vision on what they have received.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Jae.5138

/cheers

When one grows accustomed to receiving things one looses vision on what they have received.

As a consumer, telling someone that they should be thankful for the product they had received in return for what they had paid sounds as ridiculous as going to a restaurant, paying for terrible food, and them telling you that you should be grateful you got to eat at all.

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

/cheers

As a consumer, telling someone that they should be thankful for the product they had received in return for what they had paid sounds as ridiculous as going to a restaurant, paying for terrible food, and them telling you that you should be grateful you got to eat at all.

No, it’s like going to a chinese buffet, paying the entry, eating for an hour and a half and then complaining that there’s only chinese food.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

Not at all my comment. My comment was more about tunnel vision of nothing has been improved. When in fact a lot has. Perspective matters.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Every post from Jonathan and other devs almost seem like a cry of frustration to me. They’ve got great visions. They’ve got the means, the plans, yet not enough man power. It’s been a year and yes, there have been significant changes but none of it enough. And now the only expansion of the team that’s been publicly announced had been that a communications position was filled to chat it up with players on forum, and that there’s a team working to expand to china. That’s it. Shame on you, the management team and the board of directors or whoever you are who ran this business to ground.

There is frustration there. But it’s not due to lack of man power, or lack of talent. Although Anti has a point – more bodies does not mean more productive necessarily. There is a reason most development teams are small, many but small.

I feel the frustration is more with their player base. Something I’ve called out several times, so I won’t go into a ton of detail here. However, they have things they want to do, goals they want to achieve….and they’ve told us that, but we don’t want to give them any slack. We holler, and shout, and tear down everything they try to give us (Vol posted a recent comment from the SAB dev in another thread, as an example). We are ripping them down, and they are losing the desire to make us something wonderful. Not that I can blame them. I’d lose interest too, if I was building a game and my player base crapped all over it every time I tried to give them something they wanted.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Cash shop model requires lots of bodies playing the game. You don’t need many of them to open their wallet once a month to keep you profitable.

To keep people playing you need to have a constant stream of new content. Things to do. Doesn’t need to be permanent, actually it’s better if it isn’t to get players to show up now for it. If the new content is infrequent or permanent, a player can wander off to try something new which means you could lose them forever, or at least a long time.

That’s the logic behind the “Living World”. Keep people showing up today and hope that a few are willing to buy something with cash.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: mrauls.6519

mrauls.6519

You lost me as soon as you defined success…

Success isn’t defined by doing a good job once, it’s the ability to keep doing a good job without fail

Mes (Guardian)
I make PvP & WvW videos

Posted by: Genreninja.8516

Genreninja.8516

You lost me as soon as you defined success…

Success isn’t defined by doing a good job once, it’s the ability to keep doing a good job without fail

And still not quite the right way of phrasing the definition of success.

a little closer now:

Success is the ability to keep going and doing a good job despite failure.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Really? Because the thrust I get from forum sentiment is that the game has changed far too MUCH over the past year.

Posted by: Infernia.9847

Infernia.9847

Anet needs to work on communication, first and foremost.
- Communication between departments, teams, writers, director, everyone internal.
- And then they can work on the sore spot with the community which has been lack of communication with the players. This is via forum communication, posting links to pertinent articles, interviews, and releases in their own forum, etc.
It’s good to see that in this regard their direction is changing and it might be improving. Time will tell.

Blackgate : Level 80 Ranger, Necro, Guardian, Warrior
Devs: Trait Challenge Issued

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

clearly there’s something wrong with the company considering the amount of complaints on the forum about how the game’s hardly changed at all in the past year.

A: the game has changed quite a bit over the last year.

B: the overwhelming majority of those complaints are completely worthless and SHOULD be ignored.

also, most of the complaints contradict each other. if 40% of your player base tells you they want more X in the game, and another 40% tells you there’s already way too much X in the game… where does that leave you?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

Cash shop model requires lots of bodies playing the game. You don’t need many of them to open their wallet once a month to keep you profitable.

To keep people playing you need to have a constant stream of new content. Things to do. Doesn’t need to be permanent, actually it’s better if it isn’t to get players to show up now for it. If the new content is infrequent or permanent, a player can wander off to try something new which means you could lose them forever, or at least a long time.

That’s the logic behind the “Living World”. Keep people showing up today and hope that a few are willing to buy something with cash.

I see the logic here, but its also a double-edged sword. Too much content, too fast in what has always been touted as a play as you want game can have the opposite effect.
Can’t keep up with the story and get all thats offered for AP’s and rewards within the 2-week time span….might go check out other games with content that some players actually have a chance to do without having to rush through it on a deadline.
Its the right idea, just executed poorly, IMO. A month between these larger LS updates would suffice. Gives players a chance to slow down a bit and actually do it all, while keeping fresh content coming in 12 times a year which is still much, much more than the majority of MMO’s. to me it seems like they’re just pushing for numbers, like being able to make the claim of how often they update for the Anniversary. They could space it out more and still make that claim.

Posted by: CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

I feel the frustration is more with their player base. …
We holler, and shout, and tear down everything they try to give us …
We are ripping them down, and they are losing the desire to make us something wonderful. Not that I can blame them. I’d lose interest too, if I was building a game and my player base crapped all over it every time I tried to give them something they wanted.

x1 million. Anet has given us the best game on the market. They’ve done so many innovative things that no one has done before. The game is brilliant, period. But people here simply whine and complain about everything. Champs are too hard; no they’re too easy. Farming is bad; no give us more events to farm. The living story is too much; no there’s not enough new content. The playerbase here is ridiculously impossible to please.

The weird thing is I started a thread pointing out that people here complain too much, and Anet instantly deleted it, telling me I’m not allowed to complain about the people who complain. That seemed absurd to me. So I have a theory:

The whole purpose of this forum is simply to provide an outlet for the QQers to whine and complain and get it off their chest.

I really hope that’s the case, because if Anet is actually listening to these people, they will wind up making changes to the game that only a small minority of people actually want to see.

Posted by: pdg.8462

pdg.8462

snip
I mean that this company is full of wonderful developers, full of amazing ideas and talents from the industry. What this company is not is a good business. Clearly the director does not understand that as a company, success is defined by GROWTH, not SUSTAINABILITY.

Yes, sure. Perhaps your current in game payment system can sustain your business. Pays for the office space, the devs salary, etc. But that’s not the point, is it? You should be aiming higher – more revenue – that allows for buying power. It allows for you to expand the company. Bring in more talents. More manpower means more content, faster.

Not really sure why you are such an expert on their buisness, but there is a game coming out soon for you: Elder Scrolls Online. You not only have to pay for the game, but there is a monthly subscription on top of it AND an in-game store where you can spend even more money. Sounds like what you are looking for.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

There is frustration there. But it’s not due to lack of man power, or lack of talent. Although Anti has a point – more bodies does not mean more productive necessarily. There is a reason most development teams are small, many but small.

I feel the frustration is more with their player base. Something I’ve called out several times, so I won’t go into a ton of detail here. However, they have things they want to do, goals they want to achieve….and they’ve told us that, but we don’t want to give them any slack. We holler, and shout, and tear down everything they try to give us (Vol posted a recent comment from the SAB dev in another thread, as an example). We are ripping them down, and they are losing the desire to make us something wonderful. Not that I can blame them. I’d lose interest too, if I was building a game and my player base crapped all over it every time I tried to give them something they wanted.

A companies problems never have to do with their customers. That is, customers can’t logically be the source of a companies problems, not if you understand the nature of the relationship within the context of doing business.

Any attempt to move the locus of responsibility for problems from company to customer is an attempt at deflection and defense of the company—obviously. In removing the responsibility for issues from the company you also remove the possibility for correcting problems. You are illogically giving customers the power to destroy a company willy-nilly. That, of course, is absurd.

If you want to see the situation improve you need to first understand who has the power to make relevant changes—it is not the customers of a company.

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

A companies problems never have to do with their customers. That is, customers can’t logically be the source of a companies problems, not if you understand the nature of the relationship within the context of doing business.
If you want to see the situation improve you need to first understand who has the power to make relevant changes—it is not the customers of a company.

You clearly do not own a business. I would wager customers and clients are in the top 5 sources of most business’s problems.

You also do not understand when a company like Anet gives costumers the ability to vocalize what they want from a game and then change the game based on customer feedback, yes the customer DOES have the power to make relevant changes – for good or for bad.

Posted by: SynfulChaot.3169

SynfulChaot.3169

Any attempt to move the locus of responsibility for problems from company to customer is an attempt at deflection and defense of the company—obviously. In removing the responsibility for issues from the company you also remove the possibility for correcting problems. You are illogically giving customers the power to destroy a company willy-nilly. That, of course, is absurd.

Perfect analysis, Raine.

But yeah. You can’t blame the customer for issues with the game. You can blame customers for issues with the community, but that’s about it.

You clearly do not own a business. I would wager customers and clients are in the top 5 sources of most business’s problems.

You also do not understand when a company like Anet gives costumers the ability to vocalize what they want from a game and then change the game based on customer feedback, yes the customer DOES have the power to make relevant changes – for good or for bad.

We have the power to talk. To try to contribute. But all our contributions come down to is words. Implementation or otherwise is the purview of the company. Therefore it’s the company’s responsibility, not the customers.

Tarnished Coast – Wayfarer’s Accord [Way]
Main: Caeimhe – Sylvari Ranger
Alts: Charr Guardian, Asura Elementalist, Human Thief, Norn Necromancer

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Not true. Companies have both internal and external issues. External issues could very much be caused by the customers. So saying that a company’s problems never have to do with their customers is false.

Now, as I was simply discussing why they have simply stopped responding to us…. if someone never stopped kittening at you, would you respond to them? Wasting your time, energy, breath? You might at first, but eventually you’re simply going to roll your eyes and walk away.

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

We have the power to talk. To try to contribute. But all our contributions come down to is words. Implementation or otherwise is the purview of the company. Therefore it’s the company’s responsibility, not the customers.

Ok when my wife asks me what I want for dinner, I say “steak” and she gives me steak. When I complain about getting steak, according to your logic, she’s the one to blame because ultimately, I only gave her words, she had the choice to give me steak or not.

I’ll run that by her, see what she thinks…

(edited by CuteLilKittenHugz.2064)

LanfearShadowflame.3189

Ok when my wife asks me what I want for dinner, I say “steak” and she gives me steak. When I complain about getting steak, according to your logic, she’s the one to blame because ultimately, I only gave her words, she had the choice to give me steak or not.

I’ll run that by her, see what she thinks…

Lol I read this and had to read it to my husband, and I ended with “Yeah, sounds about how it works around here” (jokingly). He threw his socks at me, but we both got a good laugh. =)

SynfulChaot.3169

You misquoted, BTW. That was me, not Raine. Fixed.

But that is not what I am saying. ANet is the one delivering the game. It is their game. So any changes they need to take responsibility for. Even if they take the advice of players, those changes are things they need to own up to, for better or worse.

Your little example just shows bad players. People who demand something then don’t like it when they get what they demanded. That’s not a problem with the game. That’s a problem with the customer. Like I said before, though:

But yeah. You can’t blame the customer for issues with the game. You can blame customers for issues with the community, but that’s about it.

So I guess you agree with me as well?

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

I think it’s unfair that CuteLilKittenHugz gets steak. Some of us don’t have wives and would like the opportunity to at least have a chance to have steak made for us. That’s just fair.

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

You misquoted, BTW. That was me, not Raine. Fixed.

My bad – copying/pasting too fast cuz I’m at work.

btw – you both state your arguments in a reasonable manner. I may disagree, but I do respect how you word your posts.

I think it’s unfair that CuteLilKittenHugz gets steak. Some of us don’t have wives and would like the opportunity to at least have a chance to have steak made for us. That’s just fair.

full disclosure: i don’t actually get steak either. but since it was a hypothetical situation, i took some liberties with my theoretical dinner options.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

I’d lose interest too, if I was building a game and my player base crapped all over it every time I tried to give them something they wanted.

Maybe they’re trying to build the wrong game for the wrong player base.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Kirschwasser.3972

Kirschwasser.3972

That’s okay, everyone knows that theorycrafted steak is exactly as good as normal steak.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

x1 million. Anet has given us the best game on the market. They’ve done so many innovative things that no one has done before. The game is brilliant, period. But people here simply whine and complain about everything. Champs are too hard; no they’re too easy. Farming is bad; no give us more events to farm. The living story is too much; no there’s not enough new content. The playerbase here is ridiculously impossible to please.

It is inherently impossible to please two groups who want things that are the exact opposite.

The weird thing is I started a thread pointing out that people here complain too much, and Anet instantly deleted it, telling me I’m not allowed to complain about the people who complain. That seemed absurd to me.

Why is that weird? They delete other threads that are also not productive. If you want your threads to not be deleted, perhaps their topic should be something about the game, not complaining about other peoples’ feedback.

So I have a theory:

The whole purpose of this forum is simply to provide an outlet for the QQers to whine and complain and get it off their chest.

I really hope that’s the case, because if Anet is actually listening to these people, they will wind up making changes to the game that only a small minority of people actually want to see.

ANet is listening to their fans and critics. Most of the major changes to the game have been in response to one request, criticism or suggestion or another.

(edited by IndigoSundown.5419)

Posted by: CoRtex.2157

CoRtex.2157

/cheers

The thing is, GW2 is not a big game, it had a big launch because of marketing, but the game itself has not alot of players. Why would you want to grow is not really the question, its about, why is the game growing so slow? The rate of which your game is growing at, is a representation of how good your game is. Which is like the most important thing as a game developer,, knowing that you actually made a good game. So far, gw2 isnt doing that well. Btw, it doesnt take a good game to make money, it only takes good marketing and kids that dont know what good games are.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

The thing is, GW2 is not a big game, it had a big launch because of marketing, but the game itself has not alot of players. Why would you want to grow is not really the question, its about, why is the game growing so slow? The rate of which your game is growing at, is a representation of how good your game is. Which is like the most important thing as a game developer,, knowing that you actually made a good game. So far, gw2 isnt doing that well. Btw, it doesnt take a good game to make money, it only takes good marketing and kids that dont know what good games are.

You know, I hear this a lot…
‘GW2 isn’t doing well…’
Uhh… Really? So, all those North American servers that read at least ‘High’ and ‘Very High’ populations at any given time must just be a deception from Anet to try and hide how low the game population really is, or they are /really/ small servers that can’t handle a lot of people?
o.O

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

CuteLilKittenHugz.2064

It is inherently impossible to please two groups who want things that are the exact opposite.

You say that like you disagree with my statement, but that was the exact point I was making in support of what Lanfear posted. Didn’t think it was that hard to see…

Why is that weird? They delete other threads that are also not productive. If you want your threads to not be deleted, perhaps their topic should be something about the game, not complaining about other peoples’ feedback.

Oh i see, so all the threads that do nothing but whine and QQ are productive, but a thread pointing out the lack of productive threads is NOT productive. Sir your logic seems to be in need of repair.

I have never been to any forums where there are 100 threads complaining, and maybe 1 or 2 threads that actually contribute something to the community. Considering the in-game chat is the exact opposite (helpful, friendly, productive), that says more about the people posting here than it does the company. I get the most productive information about this game on any other website BUT this one, the official one. But you seem to think the non-stop complaints (or “feedback” as you like to call it) is what this forum should be for?

ANet is listening to their fans and critics. Most of the major changes to the game have been in response to one request, criticism or suggestion or another.

Yes, my apologies for using sarcasm, but didn’t think it was that hard to figure out since my point was that it IS anet’s playerbase calling for changes in the game and then when Anet listens and makes the changes all they get is QQing about the changes their customers asked for.

SynfulChaot.3169

Yes, my apologies for using sarcasm, but didn’t think it was that hard to figure out since my point was that it IS anet’s playerbase calling for changes in the game and then when Anet listens and makes the changes all they get is QQing about the changes their customers asked for.

Actually, generally the complaining I hear is over changes that few to none ask for. Such as class balance changes across all game modes that are only (maybe) needed in PvP and solely hinder in PvE/WvW. Or changes that noone expects and few like such as fights like Liadri.

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I alsmost started agreeing with this post….

….Until I saw the words “Company Growth”. IE: SPRAWL.
If you want sprawl, then go play stuff Sony makes. Sony is literally evil intent.
Some things they even do better than many companies, I’ll give them that.
But it doesn’t change the fact that they are literally a demonic entity and John Smedley is the most vulgar embodiment of everything wrong with the Industry today that wasn’t already covered in spades by Bobby Kotick

But to make a long story short, if Anet got any bigger (it might already be too big), then it couldn’t “Iterate” at a safe speed or have the left hand keep track of what the right is doing.

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: Deamhan.9538

Deamhan.9538

ANet isn’t that big. NCSoft on the other hand.

The problem I had with the OP is passing off company and game as the same thing. They would like to see the game have sustainability. A game that is sustainable can mean further growth for the company.

As for the article. They seem to think that the LS is successful at providing the illusion of a living world. There simply isn’t any reasoning with crazy like that.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

You say that like you disagree with my statement, but that was the exact point I was making in support of what Lanfear posted. Didn’t think it was that hard to see…

You didn’t make the same point I made. You stated, “The playerbase here is ridiculously impossible to please.” This is a derogatory statement which implies that if people were more reasonable, then they would be pleased. If you meant something innocuous, then I suggest you choose your words with greater care.

Oh i see, so all the threads that do nothing but whine and QQ are productive, but a thread pointing out the lack of productive threads is NOT productive. Sir your logic seems to be in need of repair.

In fact, many threads made with the sole purpose of complaining about the game have been deleted. Having read some of those threads, the common denominator in my opinion was that the thread was worded in such a way that the potential for productive discussion was nil. I can’t say that about your thread, not having read it. What I don’t see is mods deleting negative threads as long as the feedback and discussion is kept civil and the topic has the potential to provide legitimate feedback about the game. Complaints about complaints seldom, if ever, have that potential.

I have never been to any forums where there are 100 threads complaining, and maybe 1 or 2 threads that actually contribute something to the community. Considering the in-game chat is the exact opposite (helpful, friendly, productive), that says more about the people posting here than it does the company. I get the most productive information about this game on any other website BUT this one, the official one. But you seem to think the non-stop complaints (or “feedback” as you like to call it) is what this forum should be for?

ANet seems to permit posts that praise aspects of the game as well. That they also permit complaints suggests that, yes, they want peoples’ feedback, and do not welcome attempts to stifle that feedback.

Perhaps you should connect the point above (about the inherent impossibility of pleasing one group of people who want a feature that is the opposite of what another group wants) with the complaints about the changes that some customers asked for.

Raine.1394

Companies rise and fall on what the do. Customers do not have the ability to do anything. A company that does great things generally has a lot of people supporting the great things they do, but the people are not creating the success or failure.

You say that “yes the customer DOES have the power to make relevant changes – for good or for bad.” Can you tell me the mechanism the customer uses to make these changes? Feedback? No, companies get useful feedback and outrageous feedback. It is their responsibility to evaluate feedback and make responsible decisions. This takes place within the company; no customer makes these decisions.

I have a business degree. I have read and have written innumerable case studies. I have never seen a scenario where customers were credited with a businesses success or failure. Why? Customers don’t have the power to make a company fail or succeed.

Posted by: Master Fuhon.1068

Master Fuhon.1068

At least one person managing this game has a conflict of interest that has been leading them to suppress the organic growth that this game could have otherwise been capable of. It would be wise to not always scapegoat the underlings, because the intentions of management will also come through them.

Outdated theorycraft is also something that results in a lack of growth within any modern industry. It’s pretty easy to recognize the trademark of amateur and outdated psychological theory that has been influencing the design direction that the game has taken over it’s course. The community is obviously experiencing a syndrome of dopamine dysregulation, and such is a phase that can’t be ‘grown’ past with the extreme operant conditioning that’s being done. This is no “skinner box”; it’s an ill-educated, corporate devised one. Those who aren’t ethics-bound clinicians have no authority to prescribe [dopamine stimulation]. Just as, most of this community has no capacity to self-modulate, especially, without being aware that there is a dosing regimen in place.

I can only give a personal recommendation to uninstall or ignore new content for the time being, to mitigate the self-harm done by the current practice of ‘living story’. You’ve already been subjected to an unwarranted high dosage by Queen’s Jubilee and Clockwork Chaos, and there’s no indication of this issue being rectified. This has been an industry trend. It may even be for the best; that this corporation ceases to grow in the given state. Some growth requires an evolution or metamorphosis, and not a continuation of prior trajectory.

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

Not true. Companies have both internal and external issues. External issues could very much be caused by the customers. So saying that a company’s problems never have to do with their customers is false.

Now, as I was simply discussing why they have simply stopped responding to us…. if someone never stopped kittening at you, would you respond to them? Wasting your time, energy, breath? You might at first, but eventually you’re simply going to roll your eyes and walk away.

LOL … ’cause rolling your eyes and walking away from your customers makes SO much sense.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

What did I just read??

And yes, I know exactly what the words mean, I was clinically diagnosed as having a Dopa imbalance. Oddly enough I’ve had zero interest and even less participation in the last 3 Living Story activities. (SAB’s okay though…feels pretty oldschool)

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

I think that ANet’s real problem is that a lot of people have gone from making suggestions, or sharing opinions, to outright getting angry or scornful when they tell ANet what to do and ANet doesn’t do that (quickly enough).

If people want to tell ANet folks what to do, then maybe they need to get off their computer chairs, set down the cheetos, roll their sleeves up, apply for a job at ANet, and work their way up until they can, in fact, tell people there what to do. Until then, folks should stop acting entitled and then get enraged when their whims are not indulged.

This goes for every game, really. The harassment and know-it-all-ness of folks has gotten extreme. Even I have some issues with some of what’s been released and wish they could release other stuff sooner (really a lot of GW1 features that I feel should have made it into this one— the ones that have are great), but sharing that doesn’t mean I need to get all nasty about it.

People are really invested in GW2 failing. ‘Oh, this game is small!’ It isn’t. ’It’s dying!’ It’s not. ‘It would be successful if they only followed my advice!’ They are already successful. ‘Oh but I love the game—’ No. You don’t treat things you love like crap and you don’t treat the people behind them like crap. That’s just basic human courtesy and I don’t know why it’s gotten trendy to nowadays act like e-thugs.

tl;dr – OP and the community in general these last few years is part of the problem. ANet is not perfect, their product is not perfect, but no game is and no game ever will be. Suggest what you think might help in a polite manner, and if they continue to not create the product you like, vote with your wallet.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

(edited by Sylv.5324)

Raine.1394

Yes, true. Companies are responsible for their internal and external issues. Customers are simply not responsible for any of any companies ‘issues’. If you locate responsibility with the customers, then companies would logically never be able to address them as they wouldn’t have the power, the customers would. What would happen if the customers didn’t cooperate? Would they simply run the company into the ground? Thankfully no, since they have no authority or responsibility in the matter whatsoever.

Anet has been handling a PR issue poorly for the better part of a year. It is not altogether unusual for companies to find themselves in a similar situation. And, it is not the customers who are cause of it. They can’t be as they have no power to act to affect it in any way. If it ever gets better it will be because Anet is doing a better job of managing the business.

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

The underlying problem is that their priority list is crappy and they are adamant on going by it. They have not:

1.) Ironed out professions and combat completely.
2.) Optimized the game to not use up so many resources like it normally does.
3.) Polished up all of the maps, events, AI, objects, etc. so that bugs and glitches are virtually non-existent.

They HAVE:
1.) Overly hyped this game and every update up.
2.) Dealt in misinformation.
3.) Manipulated the playerbase by directly affecting every meta (not just combat).
4.) Never completely tested anything beyond the papers.
5.) Used the playerbase to test their updates.
6.) Submitted updates that tend to show some varying bias towards each professions as well as certain playstyles.
7.) Completely ignored complaints that have been brought up daily.

All because of living story and turning this game into an esport.

Posted by: zeromius.1604

zeromius.1604

Another topic derailed. What happened to the talk about whether ArenaNet is making a sound business decision to not make an expansion? I guess we should make a new thread for that.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

I think that ANet’s real problem is that a lot of people have gone from making suggestions, or sharing opinions, to outright getting angry or scornful when they tell ANet what to do and ANet doesn’t do that (quickly enough).

If people want to tell ANet folks what to do, then maybe they need to get off their computer chairs, set down the cheetos, roll their sleeves up, apply for a job at ANet, and work their way up until they can, in fact, tell people there what to do. Until then, folks should stop acting entitled and then get enraged when their whims are not indulged.

This goes for every game, really. The harassment and know-it-all-ness of folks has gotten extreme. Even I have some issues with some of what’s been released and wish they could release other stuff sooner (really a lot of GW1 features that I feel should have made it into this one— the ones that have are great), but sharing that doesn’t mean I need to get all nasty about it.

People are really invested in GW2 failing. ‘Oh, this game is small!’ It isn’t. ’It’s dying!’ It’s not. ‘It would be successful if they only followed my advice!’ They are already successful. ‘Oh but I love the game—’ No. You don’t treat things you love like crap and you don’t treat the people behind them like crap. That’s just basic human courtesy and I don’t know why it’s gotten trendy to nowadays act like e-thugs.

tl;dr – OP and the community in general these last few years is part of the problem. ANet is not perfect, their product is not perfect, but no game is and no game ever will be. Suggest what you think might help in a polite manner, and if they continue to not create the product you like, vote with your wallet.

It’s a shame I can only give this post one thumbs up…

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’