Reason for having a listing fee in TP?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: bbennett.7463

bbennett.7463

Does ANET get a gain from this or something? I just dont understand why they would have fees on market sales.

Posted by: Zalladi.4652

Zalladi.4652

It is a gold sink. And one of the main ones at that which helps keep the economy balanced.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m sure the economics experts will swoop in on this with detailed reasons but for now I’ll give you the gist:

It acts as a necessary gold sink.
It prevents people using the TP as a storage unit.

Posted by: zengara.8301

zengara.8301

so people don’t use it as a bank and place something at amazingly high gold cost and get it out later on, but mainly use it for selling

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

I’m sure the economics experts will swoop in on this with detailed reasons but for now I’ll give you the gist:

Yup, it boils down to this.

Gold sinks are a good thing, it helps out the economy. This game doesn’t have a lot of gold sinks, seems like mainly from the TP, Gold/Gem conversions, and buying stuff from vendors (like salvage kits)

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

If you are new to games and don’t know about gold sinks, you can read up on them

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_sink

http://skycandy.org/2011/04/inflation-the-long-death-of-mmos/

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

The fees go towards the Lion’s Arch Children’s Charity initiative, aiding displaced children with foster care and education since 2014.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Also discourages people from listing an item, pulling it down, listing it, pulling it down, listing it, etc, when you know you will be paying for each listing.

For the most part, on high value items, it eliminates price wars between two people. Sure it may happen once, maybe twice, but if someone repeatedly keeps pulling their listing down to reduce the price by a copper each time they are under cut, they are only eating their profit margins and often end up simply losing money on the item.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

And it also encourages sellers to list at a price that is likely to sell rather than a rush to undercut one another the way bidders do on the opposite side. Well, that’s why that fee is non-refundable where bids you get back in full.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: CorrynnStarr.7942

CorrynnStarr.7942

really??/ blue electro dye anyone? who the kitten would pay that for a dye….. it does not encourage selling at a fair price at all… its a crap shoot until someone makes a buy and an average is started. plain and simple.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

I actually still use it as storage, at least partially (lol)

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

really??/ blue electro dye anyone? who the kitten would pay that for a dye….. it does not encourage selling at a fair price at all… its a crap shoot until someone makes a buy and an average is started. plain and simple.

I’ve seen 5 sales since the 3rd birthday gift dropped as more players are concerned that the buyer pool will dry up so they are trying to sell and undercut one another.

And yes, when it’s a seller’s market, like the real world, the price can be extreme. And if you don’t mind posting a high price and wait with the hope someone will eventually buy it, then fine, that’s your choice.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: exp.3168

exp.3168

when you put money at your bank you get 0,5% intrest and you pay at least €3,- every month for having an account. It is the samo here

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

The fees go towards the Lion’s Arch Children’s Charity initiative, aiding displaced children with foster care and education since 2014.

AKA, Evon Gnashblade’s pocket.

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

Its so you aren’t constantly cancelling your trades to undercut everyone, it makes you consider your valuations.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

• Electro Blue didn’t have its current price until recently. When it was introduced, it wasn’t any more expensive than any other highly-coveted premium color. Specifically: under 80g in Sept 2014, and (mostly) under 160g until April 2015. All of the Electro dyes turned out to be a lot more popular than most people expected.
  • Listing fees don’t guarantee a low price — the goal is to discourage someone from listing a “higher” price before there’s a demonstrated demand. And it does that, by creating a real cost to trying to sell something.

tl;dr It’s only a crap shoot for people who have trouble reading the market.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”