Reasons you did not choose a Charr

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

I have a feeling the charr don’t heat up that badly because their fur is probably used to that sort of heat. I mean look at the area, pre and post Searing, the entire area seems like part of Africa. Meaning it has to be probably dry and hot most of the year.

Plus for those clothes, they probably, like most intelligent biped creatures, developed a sense of modesty. Not to mention they’re a war race, so anything that keeps their soldiers fighting longer is good in their opinion.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

I love the Charr, all my characters are Charr. Very big fan of beast races.

For all those people claiming lore: Should not of taken their land. All of it was theirs and humans only got it with the help of their gods. Wimpy race got its butt kicked because their gods left them. Says something about survival of the fittest (Not survival of those who take advantage of ascended beings).

Charr got their butts kicked the first time around. Guess they shouldn’t have been too wimpy then!

(My post indirectly acknowledges that the humans won the first time because of their gods. Learn to critical think.)

No fun here. Everyone’s a kittening prick.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

I have tried to play Charr… Really, I have…

but…

between armor clipping and horrid facial creation choices, I can’t “feel” anything for them except mirth when I see them run.

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

I deleted my Charr because….

I hated the armour.

Pointless on all fours slow motion run (same reason I deleted my Norn, it just felt like I was running through mud with those two races). The Charr look feline not elephantine so at least make them a bit faster on all fours.

Hunchbacked runts compared to GW.

Reading the clipping thread was the last straw, how they are/will continue to be neglected so deleted it, created a Sylvari of that prof. and used my level 20 scroll.

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

I have two charr. I enjoy them. (They don’t actually run any slower, that’s perception messing with you) but the reason my other 5 characters aren’t charr are for one very simple, honest reason:

Cleavage.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

Because the Sylvari are the better option, case closed

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Posted by: sanictoofast.9317

sanictoofast.9317

In GW we seen them destroy the human kingdom and kill woman, children and elderly. Gwen’s story showed us they had human torture camps. They helped resurrect the titans that could have ended all intelligent life. They held humans for nearly a decade kept barely alive in small cages. They performed ritualistic human sacrifices.

They were bad guys. All of them. Then Pyre comes along and says “uhh yeah, our bad.” And we are just supposed to say “nah bro it’s cool”?

I tolerate them because they are a useful tool against the Dragons. They worked so well for the Lich almost ending the world and all.

HAH, and thats all you humans will ever be, is dainty flower more delicate then sylvari. charr is legion! if your puny humie logan would’ve just finished off the elder dragon instead of “MUH QUEEN” then we would never have the dragon issues today. in fact, all humans may as a well be brits. “ay guvna care to parlay in the queens jubilee”?
“roitey toitey lemme ask me mum wut bong i otta be home”

Attachments:

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

all humans may as a well be brits. “ay guvna care to parlay in the queens jubilee”?

…Is that racist?

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

1. Them running on fours conflicts with my perception especially when doing the jumping puzzles.
  2. Cats grabs the edge of a platform before falling using their claws. Charrs are just too dumb to do so.
  3. They don’t know how to use their claws. Norn’s animal form has more sense than the Charrs
  4. Male and female shares the same armor skin. This really bugs me, since you can never tell the difference unless you check on their…nevermind.
  5. In GW1, Charrs have upright back. In GW2, they are hunched forward, looking like scared puppies than menacing. If they are standing tall, stomach-in-chest-out, like in GW1 — they will be more ferocious and authoritative.
  6. The voice acting and the dialogs made my ears bleed. I trashed my Charr before I suffer permanent damage.
http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Pack Hunter.6103

Pack Hunter.6103

I love charr. Have since guild wars 1. My main is a human because…well, guild wars one. Same name, look, and profession.
Other than him, I have a sylvari, asura and a bunch of charr.
I love their aggressive, militaristic culture and direct approach to… well everything. Especially after I read the books.

Posted by: RedSpectrum.1975

RedSpectrum.1975

all humans may as a well be brits. “ay guvna care to parlay in the queens jubilee”?

…Is that racist?

That would imply British people count as their own race -_-

Shawtell, Zen Verani, Rayshia Howen, Iyado, Colace Nzoir, Arteel Fyrien [Teef]

Posted by: Titan.3472

Titan.3472

I won’t play a class that storyline stating they leaded a Genocide on Human’s living in Avalon. I don’t like Facists oriented virtual race.

Posted by: motherbox.5493

motherbox.5493

1. The females don’t look any different than the males. While a cool concept at base, I hate making a female Charr and then finding it impossible to distinguish myself as female in any real way.

2. The armor skins look ridiculous and horrible on Charr. Make a level 1 female Charr mesmer and prepare to vomit.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I like my charr but I don’t like trying to jump with all 4s. I have to blow my horn so I walk on 2 again.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

“MUH QUEEN”

Hmm, I wonder what the chances are of talking the devs into changing Logan’s name to ‘Steve’…

The table is a fable.

Posted by: Seagloom.1263

Seagloom.1263

Charr culture puts me off. Simple as that.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

I’ve tried playing charr before, but I just don’t care for it, mainly because I don’t care for the starting area they’re in, and their design, while potentially quite cool, doesn’t really suit me. Then again, I don’t play humans either for the same reason so…meh.

I just don’t like Kryta or Ascalon. (shrugs)

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

I have a Charr ele. My main gripe is the armor. Why would Charr, which used to hate humans and are still not fond of them, why would they wear HUMAN appearing armor? Even the cultural armor is not special to them. Sylvari have leaf cultural armor. Charr have human knockoffs. Pants, skirts, long sleeved shirts, shoes and gloves (on a clawed race). They should have access to armor that shows off the fur. Loincloths. Straps that cross the chest. Bands on the wrists and ankles instead of gloves and shoes.

Attachments:

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

But yet people are blaming the current Charr for something their ANCESTORS did. Hypocrites, don’t you think?

As I said before, I only use this argument because the same argument is used against humans. In gw1 the charr were always the bad guys, and when gw2 came people are suddenly all like it’s actually the humans who are the bad guys. No, just no.

Besides, the current charr aren’t completely innocent either, the war ended only a year ago. the current generation is the same one that tried to burn down Ebonhawke.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: RainbowSyrup.4130

RainbowSyrup.4130

I hate their animations.
They run on all 4.
They are furry.
They are huge.
They are ugly.
Their armor is terrible.

:)

’’I’m sad hanar can’t wear sweaters’’
-Grunt

Posted by: Red Tree.1936

Red Tree.1936

It’s always really unfortunate to see threads like this pop up. I know that this is an internet forums, and internet forums are places intended to throw opinions around and act like they’re objective divine will, but there’s just something discouraging about thinly-veiled hate threads designed for spewing bile at a race option that (believe it or not) many people actually like. You just won’t see many of their responses here because the title alone pretty much exclaims “nothing positive or level-headed will be said here”. I’m not at all surprised, mind you. I just desperately hope ArenaNet isn’t stumbling on these threads and using them as a “general player opinion” justification to further distort their already twisted view of their fanbase.

I don’t wish to derail the thread, but the kind of hate that gets spewed here leads to a question that I feel deserves some consideration: Opinions are opinions, but do you believe people who have an opinion of the charr (or any other race) that differs from yours to be less worthy of enjoying Guild Wars 2 to the fullest, in spite of paying the same price and possibly investing more time and emotion into it? If your answer is an immediate and absolute yes, then don’t worry because that question wasn’t at all intended for you.

If that’s all meaningless to you, just go on with your day and continue to cringe every time you see a charr running on all fours. Just remember that some people cringe every time they see a Justin Bieber look-a-like with swishy boy band hair shouting “eat my dust”.

a race option that (believe it or not) many people actually like.

Well, not really..

Attachments:

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Lostwingman.5034

Lostwingman.5034

My number one reason is…

Because after all the crap your character/Humans go through in GW1, how could I ever be happy playing as something that single-handedly decimated the Human race? Plus I had ( and still have ) an odd fascination with killing them over and over and over again. Even here in GW2.

Ask Jaw Smokeskin, Blaze Bloodbane, Ghast Ashy-poo, and ole’ Red Eye. They hated me, and I them.

Those are some of the better reasons to play a charr. You’re aware that the humans took the land from the charr in the first place right?

And the Charr took all of their land from someone else before that, your point?
Also your talking about the difference between being driven out of a territory and committing mass genocide and torture.

Bad@Ele: Alaric Von Manstein
Bad@Thief: Kiera Gordon
Sea of Sorrows, a server never before so appropriately named.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

Well, not really..

I wonder what that percentage would be if Anet fixed the clipping? But since there aren’t enough people playing Charr it’s not worth fixing but many people won’t play Charr unless they do. Round and round we go.

My number one reason is…

Because after all the crap your character/Humans go through in GW1, how could I ever be happy playing as something that single-handedly decimated the Human race? Plus I had ( and still have ) an odd fascination with killing them over and over and over again. Even here in GW2.

Ask Jaw Smokeskin, Blaze Bloodbane, Ghast Ashy-poo, and ole’ Red Eye. They hated me, and I them.

Those are some of the better reasons to play a charr. You’re aware that the humans took the land from the charr in the first place right?

And the Charr took all of their land from someone else before that, your point?
Also your talking about the difference between being driven out of a territory and committing mass genocide and torture.

^
Also, the race that lived on those lands before the charr were the Forgotten.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

I think people are not really letting the gravity of the Human situation sink in here; and that’s darn-near extinction.

That and with the war ending not so long ago, I think it’s far, far too soon for humans and charr to be running around as chummy as they do. It doesn’t make sense imho.

Posted by: g e o.2589

g e o.2589

I think people are not really letting the gravity of the Human situation sink in here; and that’s darn-near extinction.

That and with the war ending not so long ago, I think it’s far, far too soon for humans and charr to be running around as chummy as they do. It doesn’t make sense imho.

it was a couple of centuries ago and also DRAGONS

Lostwingman.5034

it was a couple of centuries ago and also DRAGONS

WOW! I didn’t know that Ebonhawke and the Charr have been at peace for centuries!
GAIZ THIS CHANGES EVERYTHANG!!!!!

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Being human is boring. The armor is terrible on Charr though. Whether or not not many players like them, the fact that the devs put less work into the Charr shows a lack of passion which I find very sad and ridiculous.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Well, the war ended up a year ago (and really you do get a bit of yelling at you if you run as a charr in ebonhawke), but there were charr and humans (and norn and asura) already living in peace in Lion’s Arch for several years by then.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Lostwingman.5034

Well, the war ended up a year ago (and really you do get a bit of yelling at you if you run as a charr in ebonhawke), but there were charr and humans (and norn and asura) already living in peace in Lion’s Arch for several years by then.

Humans in Ebonhawke have had a MUCH different experience and life than those who are corsairs and live in Lions Arch.
Do I have to make a comparison of the difference of perspective between Americans and Russians or something to make it clearer?

Lostwingman.5034

Being human is boring.

I as well find resilience in the face of extinction boring.

Posted by: Ferguson.2157

Ferguson.2157

I have a few Charr and Norn characters, but I play them infequently.

Why? Their size makes running seem slower (I know it’s an illusion), since 50% of my time in game is spent running about it becomes painfull. I mostly play on my asurans, followed by small humans and sylvari.

“What, me worry?” – A. E. Neuman

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Being human is boring.

I as well find resilience in the face of extinction boring.

What is that the GW lore? Yeah I really don’t care about the GW story. When I play a fantasy game full of different creatures and species, I find it more interesting to try playing something different from what I already am in real life (Racial). Especially when it seems like everyone else is already playing Humans. It is just how I see it.

Posted by: AcidicVision.5498

AcidicVision.5498

Well, not really..

I was going to post that same image in response to the quoted post. Its a legit thread as much as Red may disagree. Charr are the least popular race and the OP was asking why that was the case.

For some people there are lore reasons. For some people it has to do with armor and clipping. For others that could overlook those, the animations themselves caused issues.

As far as players go, Charr are just about a dead race. Consider that out of that 13%, X of those are alts made by players that want one of each race, but don’t play or care for it.

Could this be fixed? Maaaaybe. Perhaps make the Charr quadrapedal running animation kick in when movement speed is +25% or more. Make them stand up right. And probably the simplest solution for a lot of people…stop making them “play human” and give them some proper Charr clothes. Charr specific skins that can be applied to any armor set that is really just bandages, bone or bead mantles, decorative loin cloths.

There was a time that silhouette mattered to distinguish class. Well Radiant and Hellfire gear, and some of the LS event bonuses completely demolished the idea of profession silhouette. So just give people their universal cultural skins for Charr.

They are monsters that are good for nothing but Dragon fodder. But when I see a Charr in light armor, I sorta feel sorry for them. Like I feel sorry for those pets who have owners that insist on putting them in people clothes.

Itll never happen. Why waste time and resources improving something for the absolute minority of playable characters instead of doing a one off solution for all characters and letting that < 13% deal with it?

The Kismet
Dragonbrand

(edited by AcidicVision.5498)

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

In GW we seen them destroy the human kingdom and kill woman, children and elderly. Gwen’s story showed us they had human torture camps. They helped resurrect the titans that could have ended all intelligent life. They held humans for nearly a decade kept barely alive in small cages. They performed ritualistic human sacrifices.

They were bad guys. All of them. Then Pyre comes along and says “uhh yeah, our bad.” And we are just supposed to say “nah bro it’s cool”?

I tolerate them because they are a useful tool against the Dragons. They worked so well for the Lich almost ending the world and all.

This strikes me as like believing Germans (yes I am in invoking godwens law) are the bad guys for ever and ever because of WW2 and no one at the time could have had a different veiw other than that of the kitten dogma. You can replace that with any country or group that has ever done something horrific to another or had bad leadership and a not particularly nice culture…which is pretty much everywhere at some point in time.

Of course this is fantasy so everyone expects the “for teh evils!” race and I’m pretty sure that’s what the Charr were first intended as but it’s nice to break away for that a bit and flesh them out more. I suppose this prosecuting of an entire race rather than individuals actions and being unable to move on from past crimes is why war perpetuates itself in real life.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

from GW1
Gwen: “One good act does not redeem your people, murderer.”
Gwen: “I want you to know: I do not like you. I do not forgive you.”
Gwen: “But most of all, I do not FEAR you. I hate you. There’s a difference.”

For how many years did Gwen beat this into my head? I dont know. All I know is this is in my head, and here to stay.

Do not like the Charr
Do not forgive the Charr
Do not FEAR the Charr
Hate the Charr

Posted by: Titan.3472

Titan.3472

from GW1
Gwen: “One good act does not redeem your people, murderer.”
Gwen: “I want you to know: I do not like you. I do not forgive you.”
Gwen: “But most of all, I do not FEAR you. I hate you. There’s a difference.”

For how many years did Gwen beat this into my head? I dont know. All I know is this is in my head, and here to stay.

Do not like the Charr
Do not forgive the Charr
Do not FEAR the Charr
Hate the Charr

Same XD and I hope they ll move away from AVALON soon. I want to see Humans npc and kingdom back there.
As arthurian legends can’t be killed by Charr evil race but need reborn and beat Dragons all over the world of GW2.
And this is why I hate char because in GW2 lore it suggest that the Avalon utopia world from arthurian legends has been defeated by evil race. I hate when a cultural legend from our own history is shown defeated. That can’t be acceptable by Celts believers like me. Avalon is all about Graal and a very important real life lore that GW2 has usurpated in GW2 lore. A defeated of Avalon is the human race hope end: this is not acceptable !

(edited by Titan.3472)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

Humans in Ebonhawke have had a MUCH different experience and life than those who are corsairs and live in Lions Arch.
Do I have to make a comparison of the difference of perspective between Americans and Russians or something to make it clearer?

Exactly, and a human from ebonhawke that lived trough the siege would probably never be running so friendly with a charr (which I do believe is reflected in the fact that if you run as a charr in ebonhawke every few steps you get a “XXX insults and threatens you” message).

But the war between humans and charr had mostly been in a standstill at ebonhawke for hundreds of years by the time of the ghosts of ascalon novel (which is 1 year before GW2 and its end marks the beggining of the peace talks). As long as ebonhawke held, humans in krytan territories and in divinity’s reach hadn’t really been threatened by charr attacks, which was for several generations by the time GW2 started, and I’d bet they feel centaurs as a more present threat than charr would ever be.

Also, in the Destiny’s Edge novel, which happens 6 years before the events in GW2 (IIRC), Logan, Rytlock and Caithe, finding themselves in Lion’s Arch, plan on each taking an asura gate to their respective cities (the Asura Gate to Ebonhawke was built during that novel, but was destroyed by kralkatorrik so they had to rebuild it again), so even if the war was still going on then the idea of humans and charr living on one place in peace wasn’t foreign to humans, since they did have a direct connection between Divinity’s Reach and Lion’s Arch (and the Black Citadel) which were frequently used by travelers.

Which is why I don’t see it as something so weird to see humans (non ebonhawkean, at least) and charr fighting together.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

I did. But the reason I only have one, is that it’s incredibly hard to mix and match armor yourself. The charr have the most character of all the races, though.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

A piece of the novel Edge of Destiny:
“Is that how you fight?” Logan growled at the legionaire. “Four on three? Five on four?”
Rytlock shrugged. “We fight to win. Forgeign concept to you humans, I know.”

Oh really rytlock? Well then stop complaining about the foefire, fight to win remember?

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I think it’s faster to name the one reason why I would pick char!

Wings look pretty kitten good in them.

(And mesmer GS sword beam is kinda cool but that’s only for one class so no)

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

“Is that how you fight?” Logan growled at the legionaire. “Four on three? Five on four?”

Oh really rytlock? Well then stop complaining about the foefire, fight to win remember?

Except the foefire didn’t win humanity anything. It was a desperate attempt by a desperate man who was stuck in a desperate situation to avoid the slaughtering of his people by charr…by slaughtering them himself with a single spell. Regardless of how you look at it, the Foefire was a very stupid event by a very stupid king who really should have fought to the last man, and it won humanity ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (meaning the complaining is justified by Rytlock). I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t curse the people I care about to fight for all eternity and relive their deaths over and over. -_-

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

The thing that irks me the most about the charr are their attitude.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

Because I hate them.

And the backhanded way ANet retconned them drives me bonkers as well.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Except the foefire didn’t win humanity anything. It was a desperate attempt by a desperate man who was stuck in a desperate situation to avoid the slaughtering of his people by charr…by slaughtering them himself with a single spell. Regardless of how you look at it, the Foefire was a very stupid event by a very stupid king who really should have fought to the last man, and it won humanity ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (meaning the complaining is justified by Rytlock). I don’t know about you, but I wouldn’t curse the people I care about to fight for all eternity and relive their deaths over and over. -_-

War tactics are not just about gaining things, they are also about making sure your enemy doesn’t gain anything. Ever heard of the tactic “Scorched Earth”? If we can’t have ascalon, no one can. If you are about to loose your territory/land, you make sure the enemy can’t use it either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scorched_earth

I’m not saying I completely agree with the foefire, but the charr are the last who should complain about it. They were the ones who unleashed a weapon of mass destruction and slaughtered/enslaved many men, women and children because of “fight to win”.

~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

Other races appealed to me more, basically. I’m not particularly a cat-lover (waits for backlash from cat-loving internet) and I don’t really like their jagged industrial aesthetic – Black Citadel is easily my least favourite of the capital cities.

If they’d been a bear-based race, now, I’d have been all over that. But, I’m happy with my little Enting plant-lady, my big fluffy Norn, and my cutie-patootie Asura.

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

One Charr at 30 (for the achievement of stories), the other two somewhere between 7 and 20, I don’t even remember.

They look fantastic from the front.

They look fantastic standing still.

Best representative comment from a Charr: “No one’s arguing about the need for a plan. Your plan is just stupid and won’t work.”

However:

From the back, they are hunched, the armor/tail clipping is an issue and they only look good moving with speed on.

Love the grit/attitude. Love the punk flavor. Don’t like actually playing them.

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

Posted by: dcypher.2590

dcypher.2590

basically i hate the hunchback and even if I could get over that I still feel the armor looks horrible on charr.

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

My metal image is after everyone is dead and everything is all busted and burned you hear the First Mario party voice go “Draw!”

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”