Reasons you did not choose a Charr

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Oenanthe.6549

Oenanthe.6549

I like cats, and I dearly wanted to love the charr, unfortunately I am still trying to.

I can cope with the history, the charr making war on the humans and then the peace treaty, but you don’t get the feeling of distrust wandering around Divinity’s Reach as a charr that should exist is the treaty was only a year ago.

However like many before me my main gripe is with the animation of the charr. When walking upright their legs appear too short. They have digitigrade legs so they should appear longer in proportion to the body. The whole way the run both on two legs and on four looks wrong, they have a weird sideways shuffle on two legs on what appears to be some strange swimming motion on four legs with their arms flailing wildly. I have no idea what animals the devs based the movement on but it definately wasn’t cats.

Their bodies seem incredibly shoulder heavy, there should be more options for the sleek and elegant cat shapes in the generation options, as well as the option to stand straight instead of hunched over.

The armour clipping is annoying but what is worse is the way the armour is designed for bipedal creatures and then doesn’t hang right when they run. As others have mentioned, should they really where clothes except for practical uses, a mix of armour for protection and harnesses for carrying equipment, preferably ones that would show off all those wonderful coat patterns you get to chose.

I know it is a controversial suggestion, but like others have said making it that all races run at the same speed regardless of size does make that charr and norn appear slow, maybe the devs could consider making it a racial ability for them to run at a speed that would appear normal and give the smaller races some other ability to make up for it.

Posted by: Amlin.6041

Amlin.6041

If I can make one with Rox’s eye style then I’ll roll one, otherwise pass for the time being.

Posted by: JDGumby.7685

JDGumby.7685

Fur provides naturally what clothing provides artificially: protection against the elements. If you have fur, you don’t need clothing, except perhaps in extremes of climate.

And for pockets. Incredibly useful things, pockets.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Pockets can be pouches on belts!

A minor aside to this very interesting discussion: Was the treaty a year ago? Or two years ago? Are we still officially in 1325 even after a year of game play? MMOs frequently have this problem where new players start at the beginning of the story so it’s always the same time period until an expansion jumps the world situation forward.

However, GW2 may never expand in that fashion. We have ongoing events via Living Story making a “history.” So … is the calendar advancing? Should there perhaps be minor lore progression with each patch done on an aside from the main LS event? The pavilion in Fields of Ruin could get packed up (assuming something could be done about the PS set there). NPC commentary in cities could change to reflect new politics.

I know that were I to make a second Charr, s/he would be in a mindset that now we’ve had 2 years of the treaty.

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

Not to mention, he’s wielding King Adelbern’s sword. I’m going to steal it…someday.

Actually, he’s wielding Rurik’s sword.

“He wields Sohothin, the sword previously owned by Prince Rurik.”
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rytlock_Brimstone

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Posted by: Copestetic.5174

Copestetic.5174

Not to mention, he’s wielding King Adelbern’s sword. I’m going to steal it…someday.

Oopsies, that’s right. Still, a nasty Charr shouldn’t have a sword like that.

Edit: I’d like to know how he got that sword in the first place. The last time we see it in GW1 was during Hell’s Precipice, the last Mission for Prophecies in GW1 on the Ring of Fire Island chain. Did the PC’s snag it? Glint magically teleported it or something? Otherwise, it should of been destroyed ( I can assume that’s what would happen ) when the volcano erupted. At the very least, buried under ash, dirt, rocks etc.

(edited by Copestetic.5174)

Posted by: Dardevilmon.6702

Dardevilmon.6702

To me when i get transformed to charr in fotm(from slyvari mesmer and asura engi) they feel incredibly clunky for some reason especaly on engi and i absolutly hate when that happens cant see how ppl are confortable with this race :/ (btw they can look amazing :P)

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

Oopsies, that’s right. Still, a nasty Charr shouldn’t have a sword like that.

Edit: I’d like to know how he got that sword in the first place. The last time we see it in GW1 was during Hell’s Precipice, the last Mission for Prophecies in GW1 on the Ring of Fire Island chain. Did the PC’s snag it? Glint magically teleported it or something? Otherwise, it should of been destroyed ( I can assume that’s what would happen ) when the volcano erupted. At the very least, buried under ash, dirt, rocks etc.

I think Logan mentions he looted it from a ruin in ascalon. So… it somehow made its way there.
I imagine after the eruption a cave was formed that housed the sword in the back sticking handle out of a stone where some brave adventurer went on a quest to get it for some one.

Donari.5237

I haven’t read the game novels since before launch. They were terrible reads thanks to having plot and character dictated by the need to showcase the world and races, and Logan and Rytlock sounding like nothing so much as puerile teenage human boys. However, they did include a large chunk of lore. If I recall correctly, one involved an expedition to ruined Ascalon to loot the catacombs and the other detailed the formation and falling out of Destiny’s Edge. Somewhere in there Rytlock got the sword and Logan kept resenting him for having it.

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I main a charr because of GW1, actually. A race that had the power to destroy an entire nation and who’s steal outshines that of the dwarves is alright in my book. I also made him proud, groomed, and have Kudzu, because what’s a charr without a sense of fashion?

Posted by: Frosch.7809

Frosch.7809

I’d like to know how he got that sword in the first place. The last time we see it in GW1 was during Hell’s Precipice, the last Mission for Prophecies in GW1 on the Ring of Fire Island chain. Did the PC’s snag it? Glint magically teleported it or something? Otherwise, it should of been destroyed ( I can assume that’s what would happen ) when the volcano erupted. At the very least, buried under ash, dirt, rocks etc.

I assume that the “nameless hero” from GW1 or the Tyrian heroes (Mhenlo, Cynn etc.) took Sohothin with them and returned it to Adelbern (neither would i have left Rurik’s remains there, but carrying a sword is easier than carrying a body, especially when being surrounded by kittenns), and it then fell into Charr hands during the battle of Ascalon City, or was looted from a tomb by some Charr. Today the ghostly Adelbern just does not remember that any more, same as he has problems with remembering that Rurik is dead.

Edit: why does the name of Abaddon’s creatures get censored?

[Yak’s Bend]

(edited by Frosch.7809)

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

It might be interesting to see how many people with linked GW1 accounts don’t make charr characters vs how many people with just a GW2 account don’t make charr characters. I suspect they’d be the same simply because charr armour is consistently embarrassing, even the racial armour has clipping issues..

Posted by: Fasyx.9347

Fasyx.9347

Because there are only two (heavy)armor sets which look good on a charr: T3 Cultural(and T1 Shoulders), CoF armor. That´s it.

Copestetic.5174

It might be interesting to see how many people with linked GW1 accounts don’t make charr characters vs how many people with just a GW2 account don’t make charr characters. I suspect they’d be the same simply because charr armour is consistently embarrassing, even the racial armour has clipping issues..

I don’t think that’d be a very good way of measurement. For instance, I gave my GW1 account away in July of last year to some random guy ( or girl, no clue ) in Pre-Searing, as I had no intention on playing GW2 at the time, or any other MMO again. But since I’m heading back overseas for a few more years, I got the game so me and my rl friends had something to do together while I was away again.

Posted by: Namu.5712

Namu.5712

Hunch back
Cat
Bulky
Cant jump for shiz (they are feline….. jump puzzles should eb their thing ya?)
Bad armor
Their race sucks.

Viking Jorun.5413

Hunch back
Cat
Bulky
Cant jump for shiz (they are feline….. jump puzzles should eb their thing ya?)
Bad armor
Their race sucks.

1. They have horns and 4 ears. They aren’t exactly feline. It’s only extremely apparent in the females.
  2. Cats, if you insist, are good at falling. We do that perfectly well, thank you much.
  3. Elaborate or your argument is invalid. See attached.

Attachments:

Posted by: justkoh.4073

justkoh.4073

We now know that if the humans in Ascalon and Orr had made their city gates only accessible by clearing a Jumping Puzzle, the Charr would never had won.

(edited by justkoh.4073)

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

they don’t look cool or scary.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Syktek.7912

Syktek.7912

We now know that if the humans in Ascalon and Orr had made their city gates only accessible by clearing a Jumping Puzzle, the Charr would never had won.

Only JP I’ve ever had an issue with is Troll’s End (The whole thing is very, very narrow) in LA. I only have Charr characters.

Jump Puzzles are relatively easy on a Charr. I think you people are just angry because we block your view and cause you to fail them. I totally never did this on purpose during the Christmas JP to troll people. Stand on the right spots and watch everyone take a tumble before finishing it with ease. Was a fun JP, completed it over 100 times.

Vesper Dawnshield | Guardian

(edited by Syktek.7912)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

You guys really take the story that seriously huh? lol this is funny

Yes i did, for Guildwars 1 because to me it was that good and one of the reasons to play Guildwars 1..

Now with this new game its an after thought which has been changed to suit what ever company is running the show now.

A bit like Charr to be honest..

Posted by: Zoid.2568

Zoid.2568

Most armour sets doesn’t look very good on them.

Posted by: LHound.8964

LHound.8964

Being a Charr is more a state of mind than other thing. Are they evil? Maybe some and no more than other’s races are … We can’t point them the finger for the pasts bad choices. In what regards Gw2 Lore, if it wasn’t for the Charrs, the world was doomed. Charrs and Asuras have been the most useful races in the war. Charrs with their machines and Auras with their techological thingies (Portals and such). Sylvari are in the dream (cut the drugs pls), Norns are speaking with animals (psychiatric treatment needed), Humans are …. humans (doing nothing at all).

Now, instead of telling how other races suck (thou being a racist opinion regarding other ones), i’ll tell why i chose my Charr.

Advantages:
- I absolutely loved the running on 4 legs. Brought to me a breath of fresh air, in what uses to be the standard MMO Gaming movement.

- I love the personality. Charr’s don’t give a crap about others feelings and judgements.
- The home city to me is by far the best (being the grove second).
- Love the skills phrases on “Boons” and on specific conditions (“Charr needs no gods”).
- Love how emotes are in Charrs. (Try /surprised and /threaten, /sleep, etc…)
-
Flaws:
- Clipping issues. I hate my staff going trough my hand/paw
- Lack of good looking armors. (hint: Branded charr’s looks good)

Charr. Or you hate them, or you love them!

/cheers

—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-
Charr’s need more Love. All is Vain
—————— ~~ ~~ —-————-

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I have a charr Engineer. I don’t play him very often.
1: Dislike the run animation. I am kinda used to it now, but still dislike it and he often feels slow
2: Med armor looks terrible on him. Simple can not find a good set, helmets are even worse. I have he has claws for feet, but all shoes / boots also look terrible and lose almost all their details.
3: Pistol quip effects look bad on him, can barley see them, especially the footprints. And this is after the update. I had this on an asura as well and it was simply more noticeable.

Posted by: Klawlyt.6507

Klawlyt.6507

Long answer: I’m not a cat person. I don’t want to romp playfully across the battlefield. I don’t care how much of a hardass your charr thinks he is. Once he sheathes his sword and starts romping, I’m giggling.

Short Answer: The Searing.

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real.
No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind.
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Posted by: Paul.4081

Paul.4081

comparison of charr in GW2 to charr in GW1

http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm298/diomedea13/Guild%20wars/gw084-1.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/9Yojn.png

I mean look at the mane on that Charr in GW1. That to me is intimidating.

The Charr in GW1 were fierce looking creatures, tall and proud. In GW2 they look more like Igor, Frankenstein’s butler

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

Anet needs to get their **** together and fix the charr issues, it’s ridiculous.

They pass off ~13% of their playerbase as not worth the effort?

Posted by: Jomo.3914

Jomo.3914

I read through most of this and I have to re-state that the Charr can’t jump. Have you ever tried to do a jumping puzzle with a Charr? Its like watching a worm try and go up stairs…

(edited by Jomo.3914)

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I read through most of this and I have to re-state that the Charr can’t jump. Have you ever tried to do a jumping puzzle with a Charr? Its like watching a worm try and go up stairs…

Maybe I’m weird in that, but I seem to have better luck doing jumping puzzled with my norn (granted, he’s small for a norn) and charr than with my asura and sylvari. That said, the charr is an engineer and when doing jumping puzzles I’m sure to equip him with a kit (usually flamethrower since he’s mostly flamethrower specced) so that he doesn’t run on all four while doing them.

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

One thing ANet could do, is offer an upright body option with a upright running animation as a makeover kit. Those who want it can switch. Those who prefer the old posture can keep it. If they did this then there might be more people playing Charr.

Of course people would then complain about having to buy a separate kit, but I suspect it can’t easily be integrated into the original character creation or the original total makeover kit.

(edited by Astral Projections.7320)

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Awkward looking running on all fours
Armor clipping
Look terrible in anything but male heavy armor
Too hunched over

Which stinks cuz they have the coolest racial skills and I’m guessing a great personal story.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: IceBlink.4317

IceBlink.4317

Reason why I didn’t pick one is because all the artwork for Charr have them standing upright and huge, and then ingame, they are permanently hunchback.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Aw, I love Charr. They are only second to Sylvari.

I should add I never played GW1, so I have no hatred. Can’t we all just get along?

I absolutely hate the out of combat running (it really is like slow-motion), but don’t mind their running when on two feet, which is why I always have them run with weapon drawn.

If you’re gonna make a big burly warrior, and you don’t want to go the Norn route (why would you if you have a human, they are just big fat humans), then full size Charr is the way to go.

My other Charr is a Necro, smallest size you can make them. His back-story is basically that he is the runt of the litter and turned to Necromancy/evil. I like to RP during character creation and then never again.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: azureai.9764

azureai.9764

I do play charr. And only charr. I love them. So amazing looking, assertive and that cultural silliness. I honestly have trouble understanding why someone would play a fantasy game and then choose to play as a human. That just seems ultra boring to me.

Interesting that so many folks cite armor as the reason they don’t play charr. I guess even non-charr acknowledge that ANet needs to fix their art designs.

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

I do play charr. And only charr. I love them. So amazing looking, assertive and that cultural silliness. I honestly have trouble understanding why someone would play a fantasy game and then choose to play as a human. That just seems ultra boring to me.

Interesting that so many folks cite armor as the reason they don’t play charr. I guess even non-charr acknowledge that ANet needs to fix their art designs.

I’m on the same boat as far as humans are concerned, not only on GW2, on all games, MMO or not I’ve played where there’s an option to play a non human race. Probably why my only human character here is a bank mule (might play another him sometime in the future)…

On the armor front, if only the armor designers would remember that charr had a tail, even if it was only by creating a hole in the armor where the tail goes out, I’d be happy

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: DakotaCoty.5721

DakotaCoty.5721

I’d play a Charr if I could get them to the size they are when they enter SAB. They are too huge for my liking, but I’d happily play a smaller one if they made it available.

[CG {EU} – Leader] Leading farm guild~193 cRanger~
https://www.twitch.tv/dakotacoty
https://www.facebook.com/RealDakotaCoty/

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

I’m allergic to cats.

Copestetic.5174

Just thought I’d bring this to light in case people didn’t know, but Warrior Charr in GW1 were hunched over pretty bad. The caster classes were always upright, like, better-posture-than-I-have upright ( Monks specifically ). Rangers were a little hunched.

Edit: They also didn’t run on all fours.

(edited by Copestetic.5174)

Posted by: Empressium.5482

Empressium.5482

when they jump, their posture look kitten ridiculious which nullifies “tough scary” beastmen race and their 4 legs running speed is tooooooo slow making them less threatening (imagine a lion tat runs like a turtle; would u run asap instead of laughing first then run)

Posted by: Knote.2904

Knote.2904

when they jump, their posture look kitten ridiculious which nullifies “tough scary” beastmen race and their 4 legs running speed is tooooooo slow making them less threatening (imagine a lion tat runs like a turtle; would u run asap instead of laughing first then run)

This is why the running on fours thing should be the animation when you’re moving at fast speeds, out of combat with swiftness.

Posted by: Nikkala.5842

Nikkala.5842

You know what converted me to Charr? Tybalt. After going through the Whispers storyline I just have to make a Charr.

Posted by: Obsidian.1328

Obsidian.1328

This is why the running on fours thing should be the animation when you’re moving at fast speeds, out of combat with swiftness.

Tbh, the in-combat speed nerf shouldn’t even be in the game. I understand they don’t want peeps to just “run-through” zones. But the players do it anyway en masse. It hurts the solo players more than anything.

Obsidian Sky – SoR
I troll because I care

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

One thing ANet could do, is offer an upright body option with a upright running animation as a makeover kit. Those who want it can switch. Those who prefer the old posture can keep it. If they did this then there might be more people playing Charr.

Of course people would then complain about having to buy a separate kit, but I suspect it can’t easily be integrated into the original character creation or the original total makeover kit.

Just 1 easy fix, put an option for Charr 2 leg running animation toggle in option, i will immediately play a Charr without looking back. And they can also put this option in character creation as well.

I am really don’t understand comparing my Charr to all npc Charr, i am the only one running with 4 legs… makes my Charr look stupid.

Donari.5237

The NPC charrs we see running generally have weapons out, which is how PC charrs can run upright. Unfortunately for the PC’s, unsheathed weapons also slow one’s run speed (for any race).

Posted by: fellyn.5083

fellyn.5083

That’s odd. How have I managed to do every jumping puzzle in the game then? Since they can’t jump and all.

Viking Jorun.5413

That’s odd. How have I managed to do every jumping puzzle in the game then? Since they can’t jump and all.

Same. I hate the jumping bias of people, and laugh when they complain that my charr made them fall after I’ve completed the whole puzzle, watching them fail time and time again.

Posted by: Lonesamurai.4852

Lonesamurai.4852

Same. I hate the jumping bias of people, and laugh when they complain that my charr made them fall after I’ve completed the whole puzzle, watching them fail time and time again.

I admit I’ve found some jumping puzzles tricky with my Charr, but I’ve found them harder with my Norn

I admit though, if not for the heritage heavy armour, I wouldn’t have made a Charr either

Owner and GW2 DJ, Sanitarium.FM
Guild Leader – Wolf Pack Samurai
Owner and admin, The Guild-Hall2.net

Posted by: Xeraion.1582

Xeraion.1582

I had a lvl 50 Charr and then the Halloween Update with the Clocktower came… After 2h of jumping and not beating it I deleted my Charr and created a Human.
With my second try I made it to the top of the Tower, since then I refuse to play any Charr!
And the running animation seems as if I’m running in slow-motion -.-’

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

What’s funny is that if you manage to complete ANY hard JP with a charr, you’ve mastered that JP for every playable race in this game. I can pull off any JP with any race, just due to how much I’ve done them with my Charr.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Gauss.3529

Gauss.3529

It’s hard to find the standing point of a Charr. Therefore, I never play JP with a Charr

Posted by: kristof.7182

kristof.7182

I hate them in Guild Wars 1 for my lovely Ascalon.
And, for me, cats should have four legs.