Refund on Molten Alliance Mining Pick

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

I would never of bought this pick had I known a functionally better one was going to be released. That’s the problem with vertical progression, and what I previously loved about GW2. However, if we get to upgrade lesser picks for free, then it’s not really progression but rather replacing – like changing the stats of an item type to balance it.

fair warning: I’ll be requesting this same refund again if you ever release a pick that is better than the watchwork pick.

Posted by: Talonblaze.3175

Talonblaze.3175

Your refund will not be accepted. This I can almost guarantee. The ones that win aren’t the ones who buy first, but the ones who buy later it seems.

Duty is heavier than death.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Your refund will not be accepted, nor should it be.

You were NEVER promised a “BiS” gathering tool (if this Watchwork Pick even IS better… more and more evidence suggests the sprockets come at the expense of the normal extra ore strikes). That you assumed you were is frankly YOUR problem, not Arena.net’s.

Deal with it.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Your refund will not be accepted. This I can almost guarantee. The ones that win aren’t the ones who buy first, but the ones who buy later it seems.

Pretty sure that seller is the only winner here.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

You paid 800 gems for it. The new one costs 1000. You’ll get no refund.

Posted by: Shakkara.2641

Shakkara.2641

I agree, I was already writing a support ticket to get a refund on the obsolete molten alliance pick I bought earlier.

12 euros per tool, should be best in slot forever. A full set is already close the cost of the full game, and now we’re supposed to pay AGAIN for better version? WTF!

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

I’ll wait for the mining pick that gives a 50% chance of Ectoplasm

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Nobody is entitled to refunds. In the real world products change and have new features added or prices reduced. It would be chaos if those that bought older versions were entitled to discounts or trades. If you bought an iPad for $500 and then months later it was bundled with a free travel keyboard and a price of $399, you would not be entitled to a refund or swap.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

If you ask for a refund for something as trivial as this, doesn’t Anet close your account?

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

I too think I will wait for that…lol

Also waiting for Sword of Omen. A greatsword that has a 33% chance to force creatures to drop precursors.

Posted by: Akari Storm.6809

Akari Storm.6809

Nobody is entitled to refunds. In the real world products change and have new features added or prices reduced. It would be chaos if those that bought older versions were entitled to discounts or trades. If you bought an iPad for $500 and then months later it was bundled with a free travel keyboard and a price of $399, you would not be entitled to a refund or swap.

Why on earth would you bring up the real world and try to make this seem like that. Real world is the real world. Game world is the game world.

With that thinking they could start selling upgraded versions of skills in the gem store. I bet your view would change then. They never said current skills were best in slot either.

Posted by: TChalla.7146

TChalla.7146

Why on earth would you bring up the real world and try to make this seem like that. Real world is the real world. Game world is the game world.

With that thinking they could start selling upgraded versions of skills in the gem store. I bet your view would change then. They never said current skills were best in slot either.

The game world is a game world run by a company that lives in a real world and fills a real world service, our entertainment. You can’t separate these two when discussion decisions made by the real world company in a game world.

Your second part is a rather exaggerated argument. Of course people would be upset of upgraded versions of skills were being sold for real money. If it should ever come to that, I’ll leave the game without a second glance. But what they added yesterday is a far cry from that. The upgraded skills would be game-breaking, where the new pick is not game-breaking.

Mystic.5934

I’m only expecting 800 gems back.

I’ll wait for the 100% one.

An easy precedent:
when infinite tools were made account-bound, they upgraded old ones for free. People complained that they bought 12 for all their alts and they wouldn’t of if they knew had known they were going to be able to get account-bound instead. I see no difference here.

Ayrilana.1396

Your logic is flawed. It doesn’t matter if it’s the real world or game world. The principles are the same. I’m not going to address your second paragraph as it’s a strawman argument.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

With the gathering tools power creep, a lot people are going to be hesitant to buy because: what if the next tool is awesome?

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

An easy precedent:
when infinite tools were made account-bound, they upgraded old ones for free. People complained that they bought 12 for all their alts and they wouldn’t of if they knew had known they were going to be able to get account-bound instead. I see no difference here.

No, that’s not a precedent for it.

That was ANet choosing to change Item X from being soul bound to account bound and since people bought multiple ones due to it being soul bound so once they made it account bound ANet did the right thing.

It wasn’t a they had Item X and then they came out with Item Y that was a better item. And in that case, they aren’t required to do anything, not even for a PR move. Because ALL players should realize that ANet might come out with a bigger better item in the future. It’s not like the Molten Picks were advertised as being the bes tpicks they’ll ever release.

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

So…someone who bought an iPhone 4 should be able to get a refund to buy and iPhone 5 then, right?

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

I will be genuinely surprised if they give you a refund for this. They definitely pulled the rug from under your feet but that’s why I DON’T buy crap like that. I’m not going to encourage them and convince them that it’s ok to do things like this.

Don’t go chasing the carrot by fighting for refunds and getting the next hot thing. They’ll nip it in the bud, thank you for the “money” (because we both know you spent gold on this and no cash was transferred) and continue doing what they’re doing.

Posted by: killahmayne.9518

killahmayne.9518

ayrilana is completely right and his example is spot on. the real world/game world argument is moot because you are paying real money for a "virtual service" which ultimately fulfills a real world need. ANet never forcibly told you to buy Gem Store items, I thought it was implied that these things may occur. If you didn’t then that is on you. It isn’t like they changed the item that you bought, they just introduced a new pick.

Mace/Greatsword Video (Sept Patch)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoAjKtD6MLY

Shakkara.2641

It isn’t like they changed the item that you bought, they just introduced a new pick.

Which made the previous one obsolete.

In a game that shouldn’t have planned obsolescence in the first place (Advertised as having no vertical progression!)

Posted by: mesme.5028

mesme.5028

I would never of bought this pick had I known a functionally better one was going to be released.

fair warning: I’ll be requesting this same refund again if you ever release a pick that is better than the watchwork pick.

I wonder if you would do the same with say a car rl :P.

Ayrilana.1396

I’m curious how is analogy is incorrect. The phones serve a purpose as communication devices just as the scavenging tools serve to well… scavenge. The newer version the the phone has been updated from the previous model with new features just like the new scavenging has been updated with a new feature.

So what am I missing? Please do share.

(edited by Moderator)

Shakkara.2641

I would never of bought this pick had I known a functionally better one was going to be released.

That’s why I drive a Volkswagen. After 30 years, it’s still as new.

That’s why I don’t buy iDevices and use a 8 year old mobile phone. At least my battery still lasts a full week.

That’s why I replaced my entire wardrobe with Haglofs clothing. Never wears out.

That’s why I bought Victorinox gear. Lifelong warranty.

Death to planned obsolescence!

(edited by Shakkara.2641)

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

This new pick was bad karma. It will bite Anet repeatedly. And it should.

BAD FORM.

mesme.5028

That’s why I drive a Volkswagen.

After 30 years, it’s still as new.

And im sure peeps wouldn’t throw a hissy fit if new versions of the car had better features, but somehow they think it’s ok to do so with a mining pick in a game.

Shakkara.2641

And im sure peeps wouldn’t throw a hissy fit if new versions of the car had better features, but somehow they think it’s ok to do so with a mining pick in a game.

Errr? The best way to kitten someone off is to say that he made a bad buy on his brand new car, cause XXX is better/cheaper/etc. Many wars between neighbours start that way.

Posted by: Stinja.9612

Stinja.9612

I too think I will wait for that…lol

Also waiting for Sword of Omen. A greatsword that has a 33% chance to force creatures to drop precursors.

Personally im holding out for the GemBlade the sword that deals damage based on how many gems your account currently holds and comes with a Sigil of Saltiness instantly killing players who have a molten alliance pick axe when you have the watchwork one equipped.

I may be harsh but i care deeply about the game.
Twitch→ (http://www.twitch.tv/phenomatron)

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

So…someone who bought an iPhone 4 should be able to get a refund to buy and iPhone 5 then, right?

Your analogies cause me great pain .

I’m curious how is analogy is incorrect. The phones serve a purpose as communication devices just as the scavenging tools serve to well… scavenge. The newer version the the phone has been updated from the previous model with new features just like the new scavenging has been updated with a new feature.

The fact that there are MANY companies who would gladly trade to lessen the costs of the next model and sell off your old one to make even more money? The fact that technology can be scavenged for real parts? The fact that rabid Steve Jobs fanboys need everything NOW and would pay out the nose for the hardware? The fact that this is software and only costs time and can even be bought by only time and not real money? How about the fact that they can produce an unlimited amount of mining picks but not an unlimited amount of phones?

They are vastly different services, vastly different products and vastly different consumers. You might as well have compared the mining picks to a drug cartel for how utterly incomprehensibly useless it was.

(edited by Moderator)

mesme.5028

Errr? The best way to kitten someone off is to say that he made a bad buy on his brand new car, cause XXX is better/cheaper/etc. Many wars between neighbours start that way.

True but that’s childish behavior, peeps realy need to grow up and realise its an online store by its design its made to make item’s peeps will pay for, i don’t see a problem in that they got what they paid for, peeps who didn’t get one still have to buy picks from vendors and they don’t.

Mystic.5934

I wouldn’t. There is no real-world equivalent to most in-game stuff because:

It isn’t like they changed the item that you bought, they just introduced a new pick.

In a game that shouldn’t have planned obsolescence in the first place (Advertised as having no vertical progression!)

exactly! INFINITE; It was advertised as “this is the last pick you will ever need to buy.”

come to think of it, if the company promised me an infinite car that I would never have to repair or replace again, but then came out with a new infinite car that drove twice as fast, I would request an upgrade for the price difference. which is what I plan to do if they give me a refund. kinda illustrates why in-game and IRL aren’t usually comparable.

(edited by Mystic.5934)

mesme.5028

exactly! INFINITE; It was advertised as “this is the last pick you will ever need to buy.”

come to think of it, if the company promised me an infinite car that I would never have to repair or replace again, but then came out with a new infinite car that drove twice as fast, I would request an upgrade for the price difference. which is what I plan to do if they give me a refund. kinda illustrates why in-game and IRL aren’t usually comparable.

Did they erase the pick? do you still have it? will you be able to keep it for an infinite time?.

With re the car, i see skyline owners world wide trying that…not:P

(edited by mesme.5028)

TChalla.7146

It is an “infinite use” pick. It still works as intended. You do not need to buy another pick.

Ayrilana.1396

Your analogies cause me great pain and you’re banned from using them until you’ve completed further education that has taught you how to use them properly.

The fact that there are MANY companies who would gladly trade to lessen the costs of the next model and sell off your old one to make even more money? The fact that technology can be scavenged for real parts? The fact that rabid Steve Jobs fanboys need everything NOW and would pay out the nose for the hardware? The fact that this is software and only costs time and can even be bought by only time and not real money? How about the fact that they can produce an unlimited amount of mining picks but not an unlimited amount of phones?

They are vastly different services, vastly different products and vastly different consumers. You might as well have compared the mining picks to a drug cartel for how utterly incomprehensibly useless it was.

Except everything you just stated doesn’t matter. Whether an item has a trade in or resale value is irrelevant. There are many examples that support this. The rest of your first paragraph makes no sense.

Whether the services or items are different also does not matter. I’d also be careful next time if you try to do another analogy like the drug cartel one. Fallacies don’t help your argument.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

You can exchange the 800 one for the 1000 one at the black Lion trader. You can return duplicates if you have more than one because the changed functionality meant there was little reason to ever buy more than one. What you do with those gems is up to you.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Ayrilana.1396

You can exchange the 800 one for the 1000 one at the black Lion trader. You can return duplicates if you have more than one because the changed functionality meant there was little reason to ever buy more than one. What you do with those gems is up to you.

You’re missing one small detail. People bought multiple picks because they were soulbound. When it was made account bound, this made having them on multiple characters pointless as you could transfer a single one across characters now. That’s not the same of an additional feature.

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

Did they erase the pick? do you still have it? will you be able to keep it for an infinite time?.

You never “needed” to buy either one of them. You “wanted” to buy them. As far as “the last pick you will ever need to buy” Technically you only needed to buy the game to play it. You don’t need to buy anything else from ANET with real money.

Therefore your argument is invalid.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

The Infinite Molten Pick still works. You don’t need to buy the new pick, you WANT to. Big difference.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Shakkara.2641

It is an “infinite use” pick. It still works as intended. You do not need to buy another pick.

I do, cause the old pick is no longer best in slot, thus devaluated, made obsolete, and is useless as only one item can occupy a slot at a given time. It is no longer able to function.

Shakkara.2641

The Infinite Molten Pick still works. You don’t need to buy the new pick, you WANT to. Big difference.

Anet FORCES people because they release a new, more powerful version, making the old one useless.

mesme.5028

I find this so funny, p2w, now pay again:D.

No sympathy for gem buyers, $ to in game gold ruins games, l2p not p2w i say, you pay the piper.

TChalla.7146

Anet FORCES people because they release a new, more powerful version, making the old one useless.

Odd… I have never once felt forced to buy anything from the store. I do it because I want whatever item they have sold. If you feel forced, that is your issue.

Shakkara.2641

You never “needed” to buy either one of them. You “wanted” to buy them. As far as “the last pick you will ever need to buy” Technically you only needed to buy the game to play it. You don’t need to buy anything else from ANET with real money.

Therefore your argument is invalid.

Game is not complete until all slots are filled with statistically the best items. Anet thus forces people to make repeated purchases, making older purchases obsolete.

Your argument would be true if the upgrades were cosmetic. They are statistical upgrades. Thus your point is false.

Shakkara.2641

Odd… I have never once felt forced to buy anything from the store. I do it because I want whatever item they have sold. If you feel forced, that is your issue.

If you dont purchase from the store, then you have no right to speak on this issue at all.

Posted by: Warlord.9074

Warlord.9074

GL proving that they forced you.

“Just press 2 to win all the dps was us cuz we’re a
warrior and we’re the best class” Eugene

mesme.5028

If you dont purchase from the store, then you have no right to speak on this issue at all.

That’s just silly tbh.

Shakkara.2641

That’s just silly tbh.

It doesn’t affect you, so why are you here whining?

TChalla.7146

I didn’t say I’ve never purchased from the store. You can assume that if you like, but you’d be wrong.

I can show you a picture of my Salvage-O-Matic if you really like.

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

You’re missing one small detail. People bought multiple picks because they were soulbound. When it was made account bound, this made having them on multiple characters pointless as you could transfer a single one across characters now. That’s not the same of an additional feature.

I’m not forgetting anything. A return is a return. You could turn right back around and buy the same pick if you like. They’ve never restricted how you spend the gems, only that you have at least one of the original items left – if you have 2 molten-picks, you may only return 1.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Posted by: Aedelric.1287

Aedelric.1287

Where is my gem refund Arena Net?

I bought the pick with the understanding that it was the best and any others would purely be cosmetic. If you are going to be releasing a better pick every few months I would rather just have my gems back.

“I am Evon Gnashblade and this message is acceptable to me.”

mesme.5028

That’s just silly tbh.

It doesn’t affect you, so why are you here whining?

I’m not the one whining, tbh i find it all funny