Remove the 15k daily AP limit please!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rebound.3409

Rebound.3409

I have 22500 AP and besides that you seem very hurt (IRL almost) if someone would take your toys. Why? I thought AP players do it to be completitionists not necessarily for the loot. If that’s the case, how does having a limit to it have any negative impact on you?

If anything a limit on achievement points would actually address the core nature of “achievements”…as in “you ACHIEVED finishing them”. If you want no limit that means u will never achieve anything.

All i see by activating a nolimit for daily AP is people like you and their toxicity spam just like you did right now. You are desperately trying to prove to other people you might have some stuff he doesn’t, and in that process actually create toxicity with the way you talk about it. So considering people like you want no limit for AP, i will support the AP limit.

(edited by Rebound.3409)

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

30k+ ap here. The daily cap was a blessing because it allowed me to focus on other aspects of the game to grab some more valuable achievements. If you are an AP hunter, you could live without the existence of the daily AP as it would give more importance and value to all other achievements. Login in and doing 3 cheap things to get +10 AP is not something to be asked for more.

So dailies are fine as they are. If you missed past events, its not your fault, but there shouldnt be some kind of compensation on the daily cap because you did not participate in those past events.

If you just recently hit the cap, my advice is learn to live without having to do this daily pointless carrot that doesnt reward you for anything really, just like all the veterans who capped the dailies leared to live without completing the daily. You can find other things in the game to enjoy now that you’ve hit the cap.

And I agree with malediktus, if tweaks are to be done to the achievement system, it should be focused on changing some of the AP amounts some achievements give, be it more, be it less.

To be honest, if you are between 0 ap and 20k AP, you have absolutely no chance of ever catching up with the people in the leaderboards, even with a limitless daily AP (but seriously, who would want that, you achieve nothing really…). Having a cap is fine, it gives a goal. Often we see people who reacher those goals (MF, Daily AP) trying to force their way to push those further instead of looking for another goal somewhere, be it a collection, or doing specific achievs for exemple.

And then there’s the kind of people like rauderi who are not even concerned by these kind of topic as he’s not even an AP huner but still wants to voice his opinion based on no experience at all.

Afraid your assumptions are false. And that Perfect Spelling achievement eludes.

So far as the actual content of your argument, there may be some validity in assuming people will hunt other game content for AP rewards, especially since that is the only way to get those rewards. I wouldn’t call that a terrible thing.

Amusingly enough, those AP are awarded for simply following other goals, such as reward chests and mastery points. So now, what doesn’t get done with any considerable frequency? AP-only achievements. If it isn’t tied to a skin or Legendary creation or a useful gear stat, it’ll go ignored until everything else is done.

But, none of that is really much argument to keep the AP cap. It’s not appealing to most of the players. It blocks the sense of progression that would keep people doing dailies. As more players hit that cap, that’s less PvP/WvW participation and more players logging in, grabbing their daily chest and logging out, unless the game provides incentive for players to go elsewhere. The people least likely to see the benefit are the 1000-2000 people whose egos are tied up in a 5-digit number that nobody else cares about.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

As more players hit that cap, that’s less PvP/WvW participation and more players logging in, grabbing their daily chest and logging out, unless the game provides incentive for players to go elsewhere.

Talking about PVP alone here: I’d be extremely happy if players stopped doing PVP for the dailies. That would make PVP a much better experience for everyone involved, and really if the reason someone is playing PVP is for the daily achievements, they shouldn’t be playing PVP in the first place.

And really if you want the daily achievements to work as an incentive, then increasing the rewards they give is a far better option than playing with some limit.

Rebound.3409

You get a sense of progression from a 30min daily login and 10AP? It’s extremely sad if progression in this game has transformed into this.

Posted by: kolompi.1287

kolompi.1287

What is AP there for then? It’s completely useless to gauge a person’s ability to play the game. The skins you get are mostly rubbish by themselves (without the whole “prestige” of the AP gate). The competition? Ridiculous.

You are right about one thing though. We should all play the game for the game and not for AP. So the whole AP reward system should never have been implemented and should be dropped.

… Y… Well I guess you don’t care at all about the ap leaderboard? Of course they are useless for you then. For example I couldn’t care less on who is on the pvp ladder or which server is on which position on the wvw ladder. For me these two ladder’s show no skill, no dedication, nothing, for me they only show people that have been lucky and anet could remove them tomorrow and I wouldn’t care.
But that said, I don’t come here and write: anet let pvp rankfarm count for the ladder/pvp backpack/leauge system.
I don’t write: anet remove wvw or let us only play against non zerging low population servers, so we always win.

The same with achievements, there are people that don’t care about any, about daily or about the ladder. I can ensure you most of the top 1.000 AP player do care. At the top100 ap highest ranks people care so much that they craft every legendary only for the collection ap or for example that theiy spend 25.000 ecto and 10.000g on the ecto gamle skritt only to get 1 more ap, or they farm activity’s for years only to get the ap.
That competition, dedication, time, money and yes ‘work’ exists only because of the ladder and it’s only possible because of the daily cap.

That’s an extremly good reason for the cap and for the exclusivity that someone has for example because he owns the 30.000 ap skin. It’ a possible long time goal for every veteran, completionist, long time hardcore player, way more than daily logins could ever be. (Of course in some years a lot of people have 30.000 ap, but then 40.000 ap will be some thing special. It’s kind of a long time systme like the leauge system vor other long time goal system in gw2.

I do not want to burst your bubble, but having high AP in this game is not going to impress anyone. Won’t be special. Even in PvP, there are no things in GW2 that would drop jaws.

“Exclusivity” would be a really good point, but are you really going to use those awful weapon skins just to look special? People won’t even notice those…

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

You get a sense of progression from a 30min daily login and 10AP? It’s extremely sad if progression in this game has transformed into this.

GW2 has dozens of little meters and checklists and things to do. If you think daily AP is the only sense of progression, you’re not paying attention.

Talking about PVP alone here: I’d be extremely happy if players stopped doing PVP for the dailies. That would make PVP a much better experience for everyone involved, and really if the reason someone is playing PVP is for the daily achievements, they shouldn’t be playing PVP in the first place.

And really if you want the daily achievements to work as an incentive, then increasing the rewards they give is a far better option than playing with some limit.

I think between PvP dailies and Legendary requirements, ANet’s goal was to get people to “try PvP” in the hopes of converting them into the game mode. Anecdotal evidence, but my friend is one of those converts. He does actual PvP, away from the custom servers and occasionally has fun with it.

But yeah, you’re right on, maddoc. This notion of dragging players kicking and screaming into places they don’t want to go, for whatever reason (ego, toxicity, boredom, etc) isn’t such a good thing. It’s why we have daily rooms and EotM zergs.
The PvE dailies are generally trash, and the forums are all but complained out on the reasons why. It’s been discussed to death, and ANet has jute in its ears. (Cotton is too expensive for ear-stuffing.)

It’s kinda sad that the most rewarding PvE daily is Gathering. You get decent chunks of random materials for use/market, and it’s tremendously quick to finish. While a boss spits the achievement chest and its own daily chest rare, the wait is up to two or three hours, depending on boss and the time you log on.
Zone events is the absolute worst. The hardest part about it is either fighting the zerg just to tag stuff or finding events in the first place. Some zones have horrid event spawn rates. And for what? An XP scroll and a karma sip? Pfft. I’ll stick to PvP and get track progression.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

I do not want to burst your bubble, but having high AP in this game is not going to impress anyone. Won’t be special. Even in PvP, there are no things in GW2 that would drop jaws.

“Exclusivity” would be a really good point, but are you really going to use those awful weapon skins just to look special? People won’t even notice those…

I dont want to burst your bubble. But people congratulate me on my AP all the time, and most people even notice I am top 3 EU if they see me in their group. I pug a lot.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

Rebound.3409

@Reuderi you clearly didn’t understand the rhetorical question

Posted by: maddoctor.2738

maddoctor.2738

It’s kinda sad that the most rewarding PvE daily is Gathering.

As with so many things in the game, risk/reward ratio or time/reward ratio for daily achievements is terrible

I think one of the parts that Anet devs are really lacking is balancing their rewards, and it shows on the daily achievements too. Re-balancing the rewards of the daily achievements is something that is needed for a daily revamp.

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

30k+ ap here. The daily cap was a blessing because it allowed me to focus on other aspects of the game to grab some more valuable achievements. If you are an AP hunter, you could live without the existence of the daily AP as it would give more importance and value to all other achievements. Login in and doing 3 cheap things to get +10 AP is not something to be asked for more.

So dailies are fine as they are. If you missed past events, its not your fault, but there shouldnt be some kind of compensation on the daily cap because you did not participate in those past events.

If you just recently hit the cap, my advice is learn to live without having to do this daily pointless carrot that doesnt reward you for anything really, just like all the veterans who capped the dailies leared to live without completing the daily. You can find other things in the game to enjoy now that you’ve hit the cap.

And I agree with malediktus, if tweaks are to be done to the achievement system, it should be focused on changing some of the AP amounts some achievements give, be it more, be it less.

To be honest, if you are between 0 ap and 20k AP, you have absolutely no chance of ever catching up with the people in the leaderboards, even with a limitless daily AP (but seriously, who would want that, you achieve nothing really…). Having a cap is fine, it gives a goal. Often we see people who reacher those goals (MF, Daily AP) trying to force their way to push those further instead of looking for another goal somewhere, be it a collection, or doing specific achievs for exemple.

And then there’s the kind of people like rauderi who are not even concerned by these kind of topic as he’s not even an AP huner but still wants to voice his opinion based on no experience at all.

Afraid your assumptions are false. And that Perfect Spelling achievement eludes.

So far as the actual content of your argument, there may be some validity in assuming people will hunt other game content for AP rewards, especially since that is the only way to get those rewards. I wouldn’t call that a terrible thing.

Amusingly enough, those AP are awarded for simply following other goals, such as reward chests and mastery points. So now, what doesn’t get done with any considerable frequency? AP-only achievements. If it isn’t tied to a skin or Legendary creation or a useful gear stat, it’ll go ignored until everything else is done.

But, none of that is really much argument to keep the AP cap. It’s not appealing to most of the players. It blocks the sense of progression that would keep people doing dailies. As more players hit that cap, that’s less PvP/WvW participation and more players logging in, grabbing their daily chest and logging out, unless the game provides incentive for players to go elsewhere. The people least likely to see the benefit are the 1000-2000 people whose egos are tied up in a 5-digit number that nobody else cares about.

Great, now we’re arguing about who’s the best speller! Please close this thread Anet, it no longer serves a purpose.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

So please people stop asking billion of times for a useless ap cap removal and just log in and do all the available achievements where you actually have to play the game!

And here we have it — dailies are no longer perceived as playing the game. Dailies at one point were gained just by playing the game, until ANet turned them into a tool for dragging players to where they want them. At that point, they were more about where you played than what. Sure, PvE was overly featured, but that could ahve been fixed without turning them into a lure.

As to AP, I’m sure that redoing story steps and meeting some silly artificial conditions is playing the game and doing events, harvesting, etc., not to mention capping camps, towers and keeps and killing dolyaks is not. Oh, wait…