Replace fall damage traits

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Arrion.2185

Arrion.2185

Honestly ArenaNet, as much as I love your game, the work you put into it, and how hard you try to improve there is just one thing that makes me sit here and go “What the actual ****?!”, and that is the reactive traits to taking fall damage. This is of every game I have ever played, the most useless waste of programming I have ever seen. Aside from possibly map completion, there is no use for these traits what so ever. There is no dungeon path that I am aware of where you take fall damage getting to the boss, and even if there is, why would I take a one use trait, over something I can activate repeatedly throughout the fight, or gain continual passive benefit from and most certainly not in fractals, WvW, unless you foolishly decide to jump off a keep wall into the enemy zerg in hopes of doing what, other than dying, or Edge of the Mists, where again I’ll refer to WvW.

Surely there is something much better you could do, than just leave these useless wastes of space and coding there. Please, I desperately implore you to replace these with traits that people will actually want to take.

(edited by Arrion.2185)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

You’re right, there’s no dungeon path that I’d use those traits in. But there are times when I’m defending at tower in WvW that those traits were fun to use, and to some degree useful. Just swap them in, jump into a zerg, and make your getaway back through the gate. Great fun actually.

Not many people do this, however. It would be interesting to see if anyone else does.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

You’re right, there’s no dungeon path that I’d use those traits in. But there are times when I’m defending at tower in WvW that those traits were fun to use, and to some degree useful. Just swap them in, jump into a zerg, and make your getaway back through the gate. Great fun actually.

Not many people do this, however. It would be interesting to see if anyone else does.

Kinda how I see it. Fall traits are wvw only. I would say the warrior one is best for gate defending with its knock back. Stops those rams.

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

The way WvW maps are designed, the “falling” traits are amazingly useful, almost to the point of being mandatory if you’re running with commanders who take advantage of them (i.e., most of them, and if you follow them over a cliff without having the trait, be prepared to wait for a rez or find another way down).

Outside of PvP scenarios, they are rarely worthwhile but it seems somewhat misinformed to label them “useless wastes of space and coding”.

They have a use, even if you may not personally use them.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

Kinda how I see it. Fall traits are wvw only. I would say the warrior one is best for gate defending with its knock back. Stops those rams.

Yup, this is what me and 3 friends do when we’re all on our Warriors. The amount of times my friend has baited people off of an edge (thief) and he’s survived because of the trait as well is shocking.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: Striker.9413

Striker.9413

The fall damage traits do have a use. Each class has worse traits that could be fixed first.

Posted by: Alfwyn.8704

Alfwyn.8704

Well, I’ve fallen to death in Dry Top quite a bit lately, so I guess I should unlock that trait. But will be something I’ll select situationally only.

Posted by: JustCurious.3457

JustCurious.3457

Also has some use in 1 open world meta event that I can think of, which is the Grenth temple event when you are killing the priest. He has an attack that launches you into the air just high enough that you take damage when you land, that trait can save you in that event sometimes.

Classes: Guardian, Elementalist, Warrior, Thief, Engineer, Herald

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

If it weren’t for fall damage traits we never would have been able to have done a 4 second lupicus kill.

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I permanently keep the fall traits on unless I am in a dungeon. I like JPs. Dry Top is full of falling. Used to be one could get into uninstanced Salma by leaping down onto a roof that needed a fall damage trait to survive.

If you think it’s a wasted trait, don’t use it. There are several other options to put in the slot.

Posted by: rhodoc.2381

rhodoc.2381

They can just half the fall dmg and introduce new traits.

[VcY] Velocity – Gargamell

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

I know plenty of ppl who use them, especially on jumping puzzles. I see zero nebefit to removing them at all – they are not obstructing more traits being added.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Do you even WvW? The fall traits can be invaluable in roaming and zerging. When roaming, they’re a great way to escape a gank and in a zerg, they allow for some less predictable manuvers.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

Posted by: Purple Miku.7032

Purple Miku.7032

I use these traits when mountain goat-ing in Arah.

Posted by: funkylovemonkey.3097

funkylovemonkey.3097

Yeah, I didn’t see the point to these traits either except for being hilarious either until I started playing WvW. Now they’re pretty much locked on my warrior.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

I’d have died so many times getting the vista outside of Fort Trinity (in the caves) without the fall damage trait.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: Damas.2365

Damas.2365

You can stack might with those traits… 1st elementalist jump in fire attunement and warriors follow him getting you nice 25 stack of might ;D

Posted by: Kohlteth.3715

Kohlteth.3715

Also saves your kitten when doing JP and harder to reach Vista’s in PvE tyvm…

Posted by: storiessave.3807

storiessave.3807

I use fall damage traits just for JPs. I don’t usually use them in WvW except on my mesmer, as her build actually allows for it. Warrior’s Death From Above is the most useful of all, though, as you can knock back people off a cliff if you time it right.

Some are definitely more useful than others, so they could perhaps use some balancing, but I don’t think they should be removed. They’re too useful in certain aspects of the game. Not every trait is useful for PvE, nor should they be.

Tarnished Coast

Catorii | Lustre Delacroix | Catorii Desmarais | Synalie

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

The traits are incredibly useful for JP’s, but aside from that you are right, they’re a bit of a waste.

Posted by: Blix.8021

Blix.8021

traits that work only on interrupt are useless in pve dungeons, too, why not remove them as well?

Posted by: Omar Aschi Popp.7496

Omar Aschi Popp.7496

Wow OP is such a jaguar!

“Waaahhh, trait that I don’t like or have the basic imaginative skills to even fathom any use for is killung GW2, plz remooov!!”

Seriously. Like, what does it bereft you? At all?
Why?

Also I, as a warrior(I wasn’t aware there was other falldamage traits for other class) I LOVE DFA!!

-jump off cliffs to down traveltime
-JP, nuff said
-STOMP!

Plus kittening seriously, who doesn’t love jumping off a cliff, guns blazing dropping on your target, knocking his kitten back, the close in, RIFLE-BUTT, close in again, KICK, wooooooooooooooo!!!!

kittening killed that sucker.

So yeah, kitten off even suggesting this. Get the puma out of here.

Lynx!

List of people whose posts speak on my behalf:
Lunar Sunset.8742
Rogue.7856

Posted by: Assassin X.8573

Assassin X.8573

Ive killed countless people with death from above in wvw. Its hilarious.

Darkhaven Gold Tiger Assassin X [JPGN][Sold][VII]
Videos on Youtube

Posted by: Yoroiookami.3485

Yoroiookami.3485

I use this trait 70% of the time, especially in WvW where there are tons of mountains and cliffs. It’s not useless at all, it saved my skin many times.

Posted by: Hamfast.8719

Hamfast.8719

I love taking reduced fall damage – it certainly makes exploring across the countryside quicker and more interesting. I use this on ALL of my toons (one of each Profession). Some of the skills that get activated upon landing are better than others, sure. But it is one of the first Traits I pick up when leveling. To each his own.

For goodness sake, stop with the idea of REMOVING stuff. Adding new stuff is great, but when you start taking stuff away, people get angry. (I’m looking straight at YOU, Town Clothes!) If you don’t like the trait, don’t use the trait. Is that so hard to figure out? Should they remove ALL of the traits that you don’t use?

Build a man a fire, and he’ll be warm all day.
Set a man on fire, and he’ll be warm the rest of his life.
– Unknown Fire Elementalist

Posted by: Eggman.1405

Eggman.1405

Honestly ArenaNet, as much as I love your game, the work you put into it, and how hard you try to improve there is just one thing that makes me sit here and go “What the actual ****?!”, and that is the reactive traits to taking fall damage. This is of every game I have ever played, the most useless waste of programming I have ever seen. Aside from possibly map completion, there is no use for these traits what so ever.

Speak for yourself, sir. I for one get tired of DYING just from walking downhill in open world maps, and the Trait skills are the only relief I get.

If you can get ANet to stop killing players just from walking, then that would certainly free up a Trait slot for something else.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Don’t think these are ‘a waste’. I do think some are better than others, perhaps. See Karizee’s link, for instance . . .

And it’s nice when going roaming in the world (or WvW) since it can allow some really interesting potential paths taken.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

One of my close friends is traited for fall damage reduction and he’s always the one who has to rezz everybody else… it happens… quite a bit.

Posted by: Wanderer.3248

Wanderer.3248

Trait doesn’t add x% damage to my ’zerker build.

Must be worthless.

Posted by: Davey.7029

Davey.7029

Terrible idea. Fall damage traits are very useful on jumping puzzles, WvW and when you’re exploring the world.

Posted by: Belzebu.3912

Belzebu.3912

Apparently you don’t WvW much, fall damage traits can save you many times.
Also, if you are a mesmer and want to make some strategic portals for siege building, and some surprise attacks, the fall damage trait is a must.
Players that like JP use it, many times it is the difference of just a few seconds away to try a jump again and death and need to start all over again.
Yes, it is a very restrict trait with few uses, but there are plenty of traits that are plain useless.

Charter Vanguard [CV] – HoD
Bardy Belzebuson – Ranger Sir Belzebu – Herald
(and the other 8 elite specs maxed too)

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

Must be worthless.

Can’t have a guild wars 2 discussion thread without completely random and pointless references to berserker stats and offensive builds, can we? 0/10 at least try to be original next time

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

snip

Wrong! I use the falling damage traits frequently. Maybe if you get your head out of an instance you’ll find uses for them. Also, maybe the problem is the fact that TOO MUCH of the game is based around killing “x” faster.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

They can just half the fall dmg and introduce new traits.

Propably not, doing so will make people take falling even less serious.

But perhaps fused with some other lesser trait, that’s a maybe.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Actually, I can see more uses for the falling damage traits than for some other traits I wouldn’t touch with an eleven foot pole. If they were to be replaced, the replacements would probably be less useful. I say leave ’em be.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Must be worthless.

Can’t have a guild wars 2 discussion thread without completely random and pointless references to berserker stats and offensive builds, can we? 0/10 at least try to be original next time

Uh.. Wanderer’s statement was sarcasm. :\

Anyway, when it comes to QQs about removing something from the game for being underpowered, the appropriate solution is to add more utility to it, not delete it, unless it really just can’t be salvaged.

Since I do a lot of roaming, and I switch the trait out (it’s very easy to do) in dungeons, there is no reason at all to remove it.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632