Request: Do NOT tweak the mounts.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Havok.6073

Havok.6073

I have never, EVER felt like my character was riding a mount in any game before. I have BEEN my character’s mount in every game i have played, this is the first time i actually feel like i am riding a diffrent entity. Whatever you did, please ANET i beg you, do not change a thing about the mounts!!!! Thanks

Also, the animations are out of this world, and the textures in the whole game deserve to be hanged in a museum. This is ART.

Great job Anet!

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

I have never, EVER felt like my character was riding a mount in any game before. I have BEEN my character’s mount in every game i have played, this is the first time i actually feel like i am riding a diffrent entity. Whatever you did, please ANET i beg you, do not change a thing about the mounts!!!! Thanks

Also, the animations are out of this world, and the textures in the whole game deserve to be hanged in a museum. This is ART.

Great job Anet!

I agree, the mount feels like it has weight to it and the realism in the movement and turn is just fantastic. I loved riding the mount the most in this beta :>

Posted by: eds.2081

eds.2081

totally agree, they did an outstanding job on the mounts.

Posted by: Irreverent.3594

Irreverent.3594

Agreed! Best mount ever.

Posted by: DreamyAbaddon.3265

DreamyAbaddon.3265

I 100% agree with this! =)

Posted by: Wildon.7618

Wildon.7618

I will mostly add my vote, there is however just one thing I want changed… make my strafe keys do something when I’m not running forward please:)
(Well, that and fix the bug where the poor raptor gets stuck on any little bump or rock, lol)

Other than that, I love the thing.

Posted by: Myrdreth.6829

Myrdreth.6829

I will mostly add my vote, there is however just one thing I want changed… make my strafe keys do something when I’m not running forward please:)
(Well, that and fix the bug where the poor raptor gets stuck on any little bump or rock, lol)

Other than that, I love the thing.

Agreed

Posted by: BurningHeavy.7268

BurningHeavy.7268

Great job Anet!

I did a heart where I literally bonded with my mount and helped other, unclaimed raptors become kitten mounts. It’s the best implemented mount system I’ve seen. I WOULD like them to be a bit faster but that’s a nit pick. People are going to be sick. We should do everything in our power to inform people of ways to minimize this (high PoV, high FPS, zoom all the way out etc) but they are a very small minority. Don’t ruin the game for the majority to appease the minority, UNLESS there is a way to turn off all the animations via a simple option. If that is possible, then yea, I see no reason why not.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

The problem is if people do get sick and nothing is done, those who bought PoF and get motion sick are then at the mercy of other players to progress in the story and in map exploration.

So if they can’t fix the mounts, they need to figure out some way to allow players to complete the story and get 100% exploration without mounts that doesn’t rely heavily on other players being able to help them out.

It isn’t like this is the first time ANet’s heard of motion sickness due to video games. Some of our other options in the game were added due to people getting motion sickness from how the game was set up.

Posted by: Zappix.7928

Zappix.7928

No they do need a little tweaking I’m afraid, when turning around in the idle pose. Only a minor tweak, or maybe a sensitivity option like with mouse sensitivity. For those that find it uncomfortable having to press hard and hold hard to turn your mount around is not ideal. Don’t just rule out tweaks, it’s not fair on other players that would like some alterations done. You no do that now!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I like the heavy feel of the raptor, and the way it stops with a bit of a slide/turn.

Posted by: Stralgarr.7561

Stralgarr.7561

Great job Anet!

I did a heart where I literally bonded with my mount and helped other, unclaimed raptors become kitten mounts. It’s the best implemented mount system I’ve seen. I WOULD like them to be a bit faster but that’s a nit pick. People are going to be sick. We should do everything in our power to inform people of ways to minimize this (high PoV, high FPS, zoom all the way out etc) but they are a very small minority. Don’t ruin the game for the majority to appease the minority, UNLESS there is a way to turn off all the animations via a simple option. If that is possible, then yea, I see no reason why not.

This, this so much.

Seera.5916

No they do need a little tweaking I’m afraid, when turning around in the idle pose. Only a minor tweak, or maybe a sensitivity option like with mouse sensitivity. For those that find it uncomfortable having to press hard and hold hard to turn your mount around is not ideal. Don’t just rule out tweaks, it’s not fair on other players that would like some alterations done. You no do that now!

If other players find something perfectly fine as it is, they are perfectly fine to express their desires for ANet to not change it.

Groups may have to compromise in order for things to please the most people possible. Like some things with mounts may change if they try to make it to where those who get motion sickness from them don’t get motion sickness. And those people are just asking for options to be added since the triggers are wildly different for those who suffer from it.

Zappix.7928

That is why I offered a compromise, a slider option for those that like their mounts walking around with lead boots on and those that don’t. His suggestion was more a plea to stop any changes to the mounts as they currently stand when there are some changes that are desired if you look at other posts and requests that outnumber the requests not to make alterations. I agree with you, a compromise must be made, constructive suggestions shouldn’t be written off.

Seera.5916

That is why I offered a compromise, a slider option for those that like their mounts walking around with lead boots on and those that don’t. His suggestion was more a plea to stop any changes to the mounts as they currently stand when there are some changes that are desired if you look at other posts and requests that outnumber the requests not to make alterations. I agree with you, a compromise must be made, constructive suggestions shouldn’t be written off.

But they are still allowed to request changes to not be made. Just because one group asks for changes, even if for very valid reasons, doesn’t mean that no one can ask for things to stay the same. That’s not how feedback works.

The OP’s feedback is that they love the mounts the way they are and don’t want to see them changed.

Zappix.7928

Sure they are I would just think that a lot of players requesting some alteration would be unhappy if they weren’t altered. IMO they need some altering, I hope that some adjustments are made to them as others have said. To flat out refuse or deny there’s faults with them and make the suggestion that no alterations are needed is harmful IMO as it alienates the majority that have called for various changes, with the way the mounts handle, to combat motion sickness etc. This isn’t a flame post, nor are my others, I want the best possible options available to all, not just to one section. I hope that the suggestions to make alterations are taken on board by Anet and a compromise is met. That’s all really.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Great job Anet!

As a previous anti-mounter, I agree wholeheartedly.

I’m completely sold.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I agree, remove them instead…

Posted by: Orangensaft.7139

Orangensaft.7139

I get your point and agree with what you mean

but they should tweak some things … the bugged ones
I hope they can fix the problem of mounts getting stuck on so many parts of terrain :/
Like it is shown here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/6t7ltd/as_much_as_i_love_the_raptor_there_is_one_thing/

We Glitched Out Of All [MAPS]
26x lvl 80 Characters
Most fabulous Character: http://i.imgur.com/5JtcBI1.jpg?1

Posted by: Ceesa.1350

Ceesa.1350

Mounts are great, but please enable full strafe.

Posted by: PzTnT.7198

PzTnT.7198

I agree as well. Please dont change them too much.

If you are reading this you have finished reading my post and are now reading my signature.

Havok.6073

Sure they are I would just think that a lot of players requesting some alteration would be unhappy if they weren’t altered. IMO they need some altering, I hope that some adjustments are made to them as others have said. To flat out refuse or deny there’s faults with them and make the suggestion that no alterations are needed is harmful IMO as it alienates the majority that have called for various changes, with the way the mounts handle, to combat motion sickness etc. This isn’t a flame post, nor are my others, I want the best possible options available to all, not just to one section. I hope that the suggestions to make alterations are taken on board by Anet and a compromise is met. That’s all really.

Just to be clear, those asking for a change are not the majority. A few people posting on the boards doesn’t make them “the majority” i believe the majority still stands with the thousands who do not come here to ask for changes but are instead happily roaming the sands of Elona. I am not doing this against those people that need a change with the mounts, i am saying that i have never felt so impressed by a mount in any game before, and i would hate to see this novelty ruined because of a few people with motion sickness. I am sorry, but that’s how it is. I cannot go on rollercoasters because i would puke, that doesn’t mean that i want the ride to be changed. I just find my fun with other things, such is the way of the world.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

Still think they need strafing. If you want to talk about realism, it’s not realistic for them to not be able to strafe. It is the one thing that does not feel right/feels unnatural.

Posted by: zombyturtle.5980

zombyturtle.5980

im going to repost my reply from the other thread:

To everyone saying mounts shouldnt be changed because the majority likes them, I would agree with you IF:

-This was a brand new game or
-Mounts were optional content
Then they could just be avoided.

However mounts are necessary to play the game now, and people who have invested 5 years into this game with no previous issues shouldn’t be forced to quit because it now makes them physically ill, which is a massive issue in a video game.

Obviously the solution is options and sliders but if its a choice of changing them outright or nothing at all, they have to change them so people arent getting migraines and vomiting.

I hardly think its fair for you to say since i dont suffer im ok with part of the playerbase (even if they are a minority) to be forced to quit the game after 5 years because i think they look nice.

Seera.5916

Just to be clear, those asking for a change are not the majority. A few people posting on the boards doesn’t make them “the majority” i believe the majority still stands with the thousands who do not come here to ask for changes but are instead happily roaming the sands of Elona. I am not doing this against those people that need a change with the mounts, i am saying that i have never felt so impressed by a mount in any game before, and i would hate to see this novelty ruined because of a few people with motion sickness. I am sorry, but that’s how it is. I cannot go on rollercoasters because i would puke, that doesn’t mean that i want the ride to be changed. I just find my fun with other things, such is the way of the world.

But you aren’t required to ride a roller coaster to go to a theme park or to ride the Ferris Wheel or play the games or eat the food there.

How would you feel if your favorite amusement park added a side park with a theme you loved, but to get there you had to go on a roller coaster and that using roller coasters was a requirement to get to certain areas. And to top it off, they didn’t allow you to bypass it even though they believe you when you say you puke when riding roller coasters?

And those with motion sickness are just asking for OPTIONS TO BE ADDED to make it better for them. Not to change the mounts. Many of those affected LOVE the mounts, but it makes them physically sick.

Havok.6073

im going to repost my reply from the other thread:

To everyone saying mounts shouldnt be changed because the majority likes them, I would agree with you IF:

-This was a brand new game or
-Mounts were optional content
Then they could just be avoided.

However mounts are necessary to play the game now, and people who have invested 5 years into this game with no previous issues shouldn’t be forced to quit because it now makes them physically ill, which is a massive issue in a video game.

Obviously the solution is options and sliders but if its a choice of changing them outright or nothing at all, they have to change them so people arent getting migraines and vomiting.

I hardly think its fair for you to say since i dont suffer im ok with part of the playerbase (even if they are a minority) to be forced to quit the game after 5 years because i think they look nice.

But it’s fair that my enjoyment of the game , after 5 years of investment, is potentially ruined because a minority of players has issues?
It is unfair, but guess what, so is life.

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Agreed, I love how the movement is with the mounts once you get to used to it.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

zombyturtle.5980

But it’s fair that my enjoyment of the game , after 5 years of investment, is potentially ruined because a minority of players has issues?

Yes because migrains vomiting and nausea is far more serious an issue than having a mount not look as nice. Your issue doesn’t force you to quit the game because of it.

You are ofc entitled to your opinion but I find it selfish to say ‘thats life’ to the people who are facing having to leave the game at this point. Its going to cause Anet loss of revenue and customers so is bad from a business perspective too.

Another player also pointed out that the biggest feedback thread, with the most contribution on POF atm is the motion sickness one. So the issue might be bigger than you think. Even if its just 5% of players, thats still a huge loss.

Havok.6073

Yes because migrains vomiting and nausea is far more serious an issue than having a mount not look as nice. Your issue doesn’t force you to quit the game because of it.

You are ofc entitled to your opinion but I find it selfish to say ‘thats life’ to the people who are facing having to leave the game at this point. Its going to cause Anet loss of revenue and customers so is bad from a business perspective too.

Another player also pointed out that the biggest feedback thread, with the most contribution on POF atm is the motion sickness one. So the issue might be bigger than you think. Even if its just 5% of players, thats still a huge loss.

If it would or not force me to quit the game is not up to you to decide. Second, stop blowing this out of proportion, you make it sound like the game’s life depends on this, it does not. It’s an inconvenience, and i am sorry for the people affected by this problem, but i have a right to speak my mind like you do, and i would like the mounts to stay as they are. Horse beaten to death , i’m out.

zombyturtle.5980

If it would or not force me to quit the game is not up to you to decide. Second, stop blowing this out of proportion, you make it sound like the game’s life depends on this, it does not. It’s an inconvenience, and i am sorry for the people affected by this problem, but i have a right to speak my mind like you do, and i would like the mounts to stay as they are. Horse beaten to death , i’m out.

It wouldnt FORCE you to quit, it would be your choice. Im not blowing it out of proportion at all as Motion sickness is something very awful to experience. I said you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to call it selfish and offer reasons why I think so. I never said it would destroy the game, just cause loss of revenue and a decline in players.

Posted by: Murke.7193

Murke.7193

I had no issues with motion sickness, but there is one tiny thing I think would improve the experience with mounts. As the raptor’s jump uses a part of the endurance bar, it would be nice to have it marked with the number of jumps left available. The same way the bar is already has the black line for dodges, maybe we could have thinner lines for the jumps when we mount up?

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I love how the raptor moves, including the non-strafe part. Please, keep them like that!

Yes, some of it may seem annoying, like how you dismount for everything or are not as precise as you move, but I think that’s the point. There are times when you’ll not want to be on a mount, and that’s a good thing.

I had no issues with motion sickness, but there is one tiny thing I think would improve the experience with mounts. As the raptor’s jump uses a part of the endurance bar, it would be nice to have it marked with the number of jumps left available. The same way the bar is already has the black line for dodges, maybe we could have thinner lines for the jumps when we mount up?

If you just tap jump, it makes a shorter jump and uses less of the endurance bar. Sadly, this means that there’s not a set value for the cost of a jump, so they can’t set lines for it. I’m sure the longer jumps will cost more endurance too, once we can unlock them.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Glacial.9516

Glacial.9516

The mount movement reminds me of vehicles with imprecise controls in older games. It’d be fine (and rather fun) for general map travel, but I dread to see anything that requires very precise movements, like a jumping puzzle without adjusting the controls to better match the player.

Edit: Feels considerably better when using the mouse for movement and turning. The keyboard strafing is where it gets really clunky.

(edited by Glacial.9516)

Posted by: LolinaOtone.4196

LolinaOtone.4196

I loved them too, and I also argued in the other Thread (where I got accused of being abelist, exclusionary and downplaying the issue), but my opinion still stands.

Don’t change the mounts feeling, but give the people with issues an Option.

Honestly, if they don’t change them, Anet will not make a big loss, maybe they loss few hundred players, but the people with motion sickness are not in the majority, far from it. That said, their issue should be looked into, as I always felt GW2 was a very inclusive MMORPG.

I have a few suggestions HOW you could change it and as MS is a very personal problem, triggers differ from person to person, there will be MANY options needed.

1. For the people that get sick from seeing the Raptor bounce:
Give the option to remove the Raptor Animation and just let it fly over the ground, without any animation. Seems kittenty, but the solutions we are searching for, will never ever give those players with MS a satisfying mount system. Might as well go all out. If it helps, then hey, they can use mounts, as some that are affected here are say “visuals don’t matter, sickness does”.
I saw some people race the Raptors across the desert and their animations were bugged for me, that’s where this Idea comes from.

2. For the people that get sick from a too narrow field of view:
Give a bigger field of view, should not be too hard.

3. For the people that get sick from the Raptor not being in the center of the screen:
Give sliders to adjust your viewpoint. Also not too hard.

4. For the players that have a problem with the overall steering of the mount:
Give them an option to have the same movement as the player character. In exchange for more control, ,make their mount move slower or implement the same drawbacks the normal raptor has in another way. Like, having it instant full stop, but then not being able to walk again until the normal raptor would be able to walk again.
Again, would be really clunky, but the some people with problems, don’t really seem to care, that we want a visually appealing mount, as, understandbly, for them even having some system to use, would be a way better deal than what they have now.

5. For players where all this above wouldn’t help:
Give them an option to not have the mount, and just give them the mounts abilities on activation of the mount, normal movement, ability gone when entering combat, no swiftness gain. Maybe even giving them buffed aspect abilities, those seem to have most of the things needed, that the mounts have.
This is the most drastic, but only solution, that comes to mind, that would negate ALL instances of motion sickness. But they can play the maps. That is a far bigger priority than a satisfying mount. For some people, that’s just not possible.

That’s all Ideas I have. I have yet to see more than a few players with problems bring up such detailed ideas on what to change. They need change, but they also have to say, what kind of change, how far it can go and where the line for them would be crossed. For me, if I had problems, I would even be able to live with the fifth option. Everyone that dislikes mount, based on a “Gw2 said no mounts” stance, could also use that feature. It would be, in my mind the easiest option to implement and the option that would remove all instances of motion sickness.

Sorry, if I’m being a bit sarcastic at points, but reading that satisfying gameplay does not matter, cause some people get sick because of it, is a wrong as saying those people don’t need help for Anet. We people with no problems should be able to keep what we have.
As sorry as I am, the only solution I see is making the mounts optional for those with motion sickness, and just giving them the bare minimum they need to traverse the map.

EDIT: And honestly, someone at Anet should have thought about this problem. There were far more beta weekends needed than those two now :/ Movement is a very finicky thing and we should have been able to test all standard mounts.

Also changed some wording, as I was a bit salty, about the people that said, my enjyoment does not matter, when they can’t enjoy it. Our all enjoyment matters! We should fight together and give Anet ideas so we can both be happy.

(edited by LolinaOtone.4196)

Posted by: octagon.6504

octagon.6504

I have little problems with the mounts but like someone else said it should have been implemented as an option and not a necessity. Most games give people a choice. Mounts, waypoints, running, and sometimes, flying. By putting in mandatory jumping to get to some locations and probably other mandatory mounts skills needed for other content, people have one way to travel, period, in some cases, to reach some destinations. Limiting your customer base in some cases.

But who knows, maybe their numbers went up when gliding was introduced as the only way to reach some locations in HoT.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If the Devs can easily introduce options, great! Otherwise, I have to stand in the camp of leaving Mounts as they are. And, I have some issues with Mounts, but I’m sure I will get used to said issues, and/or work around them.

Posted by: ATMAvatar.5749

ATMAvatar.5749

Still think they need strafing. If you want to talk about realism, it’s not realistic for them to not be able to strafe. It is the one thing that does not feel right/feels unnatural.

This. It is incredibly awkward when I hop on a mount and suddenly my A and D keys change from strafe to turn. Please make the mounts strafe, following the same key bindings as strafe while unmounted.

Aside from that, I mostly enjoyed the mount.

Posted by: Locce.8405

Locce.8405

Usually I strafe quite a lot, even out of combat, so I guess it will be a while until I adjust my movements to the non-strafiness of the raptor. I would love if strafing could be implemented at some point, even if it was just slower, cautious steps of the mount, but I understand that there is quite some animation work behind that, so I will not exactly hold my breath for it.
Other than this little issue I greatly enjoyed the look and feel of the raptor mounts. They are quick and easy to use, useful for getting around the map and so much fun to ride or just observe as they do their thing.
If the other mounts feel as “real” and are just as lovingly animated my feet will hardly ever touch the ground again.

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

just needs more dye channels.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: Nury.3062

Nury.3062

Mounts are awesome! The motion sickness group is a minuscule minority don’t make it look like is a majority or even a significant minority.I totally agree to add a slider or an option but not to change it!

—-Balthazar Order [Gods]—-
“We are now! We are forever!”

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

The raptor was amazing! I felt like I imagine riding a real raptor would feel like. The idle animations were hilarious and I would stand still just to watch it. I love it and wouldn’t change it at all except to be able to dye the whole animal instead of just the top half. The person who designed the look and animations for this thing should get a huge raise!