Request- Strafe for Mounts

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

Unless I’m missing some control options… Think we could get strafing on mounts?

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: xarallei.4279

xarallei.4279

This. I noticed I could not strafe on my mount. It’s obnoxious. When I use my A or D (the buttons I have bound to strafe on my pc) they just turn the mount around.

And mouse turning is clunky/slow too. The whole movement of the mount is a bit jarring. I guess you are going for a realistic feeling, but I would prefer mounts move in the same manner as player characters. Seriously, the mount actually makes me feel ill when I use it. Had to take a dramamine.

Posted by: FranzM.1298

FranzM.1298

In addition they need to enable the Look Behind hot key to work on mounts as well because right now it doesnt.

Emotes would not hurt either.

Posted by: warbignime.4610

warbignime.4610

It’s a choice between realism and the feel of control VS convenience. I prefer mount as it is now, the animation is smooth and it felt like i’m actually driving something.

Some must fight so that all may be free.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

It’s a choice between realism and the feel of control VS convenience. I prefer mount as it is now, the animation is smooth and it felt like i’m actually driving something.

I like it this way too. ~shrugs~

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Adenin.5973

Adenin.5973

I personally prefer the way it is right now. Imo a mount should not be as maneuverable as a player character. Otherwise your mounts start to look like the mounts in WoW which are just visuals for a speed buff and don’t change the way you move in any other way.

Posted by: BBMouse.6510

BBMouse.6510

It actually feels good like riding a motorbike. The turn 180 degree around does not work though.

Posted by: Hanakocz.5697

Hanakocz.5697

well, the problem now is that when I press A or D, mount does not move any way (yes, I hav it on strafe, as a normal guy). Not even turn into that way, nothing.

Posted by: Sarpan.9074

Sarpan.9074

As noted in another thread, raptors strafing would not break realism. Birds can move sideways so why do we conclude that their ancestors could not? I’m for the 180 turnaround working, too.

But if it stays the same, I’ll get used to it I’m sure. Not a huge thing.

warbignime.4610

As noted in another thread, raptors strafing would not break realism. Birds can move sideways so why do we conclude that their ancestors could not? I’m for the 180 turnaround working, too.

Realism is a small part of it, its more about adding weight to the controls and mount itself , otherwise it doesn’t feel alive.

Sarpan.9074

You mean, realism like a large, horse-sized creature being able to jump 50 meters or more with a rider?

xarallei.4279

Yeah, that’s the problem with the “realism” arguments. And I’d much rather have more control over my movement and be able to move like mounts do in WoW than to have this kind of “realistic” movement.

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

At first, I thought it was a bad thing a raptor couldn’t strafe, but I came to get used to it. Raptor is a runner, so it makes sense it’s clumsy and clunky when it’s not running.

Moreover, eventhough raptor can’t strafe, nothing tells that the other mounts will have the exact same behaviour. I’d rather tend to think that they’ll be quite different to drive.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Take it from one who has years of experience with mounts in other games. They should move in a manner exactly corresponding to your character navigation. I have a modified wasd shifted one key to the right so that my little finger rests on ‘a’. ‘s’ is strafe-left and ‘f’ is strafe-right. When I press those keys the mount should move in a manner corresponding to how my characters move. I’m not saying that a mount should ‘feel’ like a character just that they should navigate exactly like a character.

warbignime.4610

Take it from one who has years of experience with mounts in other games. They should move in a manner exactly corresponding to your character navigation. I have a modified wasd shifted one key to the right so that my little finger rests on ‘a’. ‘s’ is strafe-left and ‘f’ is strafe-right. When I press those keys the mount should move in a manner corresponding to how my characters move. I’m not saying that a mount should ‘feel’ like a character just that they should navigate exactly like a character.

No they shouldn’t and this is not other games. What you described was weightless, lifeless reskin of superspeed, current control of mount is way better, it adds weight to the control and makes you feel like actually driving something.

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

Mounts where not needed and is just another korean influence on this game.

Posted by: Bunnytown.7801

Bunnytown.7801

I hope the skimmer mount mantra ray thing has a strafe movement for all you strafe lovers. Would give it a different flavor from the raptor mount. Personally love the raptor’s movement.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

A large theropod is not at all the same thing as a bird like a cassowary.

A bear can’t move the same way a dog does just because they both have 4 legs and a common ancestor.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Raine.1394

No they shouldn’t and this is not other games. What you described was weightless, lifeless reskin of superspeed, current control of mount is way better, it adds weight to the control and makes you feel like actually driving something.

I said explicitly that I wasn’t talking about ‘feel’. Would it help if I referred to it as ‘weight’? Very good, the mount may feel like it has weight, but it should respond to my navigation keys as I’ve set them up. If it does it will make you feel like you are actually driving something.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Yeah, that’s the problem with the “realism” arguments. And I’d much rather have more control over my movement and be able to move like mounts do in WoW than to have this kind of “realistic” movement.

But homogenizing everything comes with its own set of problems. Players kitten about lack of diversity in various aspects….. until it actually forces them to do something different. You see the irony in this mind set?

Lack of familiarity is what lead to the most devastating changes from Beta 1…. the dumbing down of the AI behavior (which wasn’t that difficult to begin with), and the lowering of the difficulty curve across the game. In the time that followed, a major complaint about the game was how mobs offered no challenge or threat, because you could face tank them and autoattack your way to victory.

To remedy that, they took steps to substantially increase the difficulty in Heart of Thorns, not only making them statistically tougher, but also increased the synergy and diversity of their attacks and group comps. The immediate response from the players were “This is stupidly hard…. WTF would you do that?” Fast forward 2 years and multiple nerfs, and any half way competent player has little to no trouble dispatching the majority of enemies.

If mounts are going to feel like a distinct element of the game, and not just some uninventive upgrade to regular movement, then it needs to make us behave differently. I can’t be the only one that realize this is capable of opening the door for bigger things- allowing things that wouldn’t previously fit into this game, an avenue that now makes perfect sense.

Raine.1394

I hope the skimmer mount mantra ray thing has a strafe movement for all you strafe lovers. Would give it a different flavor from the raptor mount. Personally love the raptor’s movement.

The problem here is that you navigate from muscle memory and keybinds. Your character and each mount should navigate in a similar manner given the setup of your keybinds.

Sarpan.9074

This is definitely a “tastes great-less filling” topic.

Posted by: Lil Puppy.5216

Lil Puppy.5216

All creatures can strafe, every, single, one of them.

Anyway, it doesn’t have to be as fast as anything, just allow strafing so I can get around simple things it can’t seem to step over instead of doing this large circular path to get around it.

I want a crab mount so I can strafe!

Sarpan.9074

I want a crab mount so I can strafe!

Hehe

Posted by: Eili.2186

Eili.2186

Oh, yes please. This is highly annoying, especially when trying to get a mounts only vista. And I bet there will be jumping puzzles where you HAVE to use your mounts, I’m cringing already if it stays like this:S

Eili (necromancer)
Inglorious Scrubs [DPS]
Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Flatley.1620

Flatley.1620

+1 for strafe. Or, as I like to call it, side step.

i75820K@4.4ghz Noctua NHU14S GTX980TiSC
SoundblasterZ AsusX99Pro 512GBM2SSD 1TBSSD
3TBHDD 16gbRAM Corsair900D Win10Pro Corsair rmi1000w ethernet 100 down, 6 up

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

tbh even horses can sort of side step if you’ve ridden one before. strafing would help but I do also like how the raptors feel currently though (like a motorbike someone said) it’s interesting and fun!

Posted by: miriforst.1290

miriforst.1290

When they announced mounts i was afraid that it would be the cliche instant movement speed buff reskin we have had in other games. Ideally i was hoping for something that wasn’t produced out of thin air as well and something that was more like a vehicle in the same way that you have vehicles in the battlefield series with different feel and purpose.

And while it does pop out of thin air the actual movement felt spot on. More like the horses in battlefield 1 than a big remodel of our character. And it does indeed give the mount itself character. Now maybe different mounts handle differently so if you are a strafing type you can go for the mantaray. As for the jumping puzzles there will be more mounts with different flavor (jackal was said to be all about precision for stuff like jumping puzzles) so we will have to wait and see.

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

Don’t like the idea. Mounts are unique this way: slight delay, no strafing. I don’t want them to feel generic. Why does it happen so often in GW2 that instead of learning the new movement patterns people want more of the old ones…

(edited by Assic.2746)

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

For me the mount controls work really well when you enable the action camera. Maybe give that a shot, it could improve the feel you have when running around.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

Strafe is in the final tier of mount Masteries /s

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

This is how mounts function in general. It feels wierd if you don’t play games with mounts but that’s what it is.

Posted by: JackDaniels.1697

JackDaniels.1697

When your mount is running, you don’t really need strafe all that much, you do though when it is not, because it’s at this point were it feels clunky just to try to position yourself to make a jump. It’s just better to get off your mount and position your char instead, then get back on your mount, just not ideal.

“I got a fever! And the only prescription, is more COWBELL!”

Flatley.1620

Perhaps we could have a strafe toggle to suite both camps?

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

If the mount would not get so often stuck on small terrain obstacles, there maybe would be less need for a strafe-function. At least for me.

Posted by: Fipmip.7219

Fipmip.7219

Meh. as long as the maps are designed around the fact there is no strafe then i guess it’s fine. The only reason you’d really need a strafe is in awkward spaces where you probably shouldn’t be using a mount, and combat. Seeing as the mounts only have one ability which is to plant you in combat with an opening strike and then disappear, I can respect the decision to not put the extra work into having a strafe.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I disagree with OP and will say no to strafing.

The way the mounts were created in Guild Wars 2 is absolutely lovely. It feels like a mount, it feels heavy, the animations are spot on and you actually feel like you’re “driving” or “riding” something in a direction.

World of Warcraft’s sytem with mounts which is just a cosmetic speed boost is boring, and we needed something new.

This is absolutely perfect.

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

… Birds can move sideways so why do we conclude that their ancestors could not?…

Humans can build aircraft so why do we conclude that their ancestors could not?

j/k btw

xarallei.4279

I disagree with OP and will say no to strafing.

The way the mounts were created in Guild Wars 2 is absolutely lovely. It feels like a mount, it feels heavy, the animations are spot on and you actually feel like you’re “driving” or “riding” something in a direction.

World of Warcraft’s sytem with mounts which is just a cosmetic speed boost is boring, and we needed something new.

This is absolutely perfect.

But that makes no sense. If you are going for this realistic feeling of being on a mount strafing is absolutely part of that. Most animals can strafe. It’s unnatural to not be able to strafe. At the very least there should be a compromise. I prefer to have more control and to move instantly, but I’m willing to give that up and leave the movement as is so long as they give us strafing in return. And this doesn’t even bring in the motion sickness issue I have, but again I’m willing to sacrifice here and leave the motion as is so long as I have my strafing.

Posted by: Magnus Godrik.5841

Magnus Godrik.5841

Can a horse strafe? Then again we are riding a dinosaur.

xarallei.4279

Can a horse strafe? Then again we are riding a dinosaur.

They aren’t very agile or anything, but yes they can:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1XyzH_KaXo

Flatley.1620

Horses are great at stuff. Look at at dressage. At around 2:15 in this vid, the horse starts to strafe (sort of): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT6Yn7SLkmQ

Shame the rider didn’t wield a long bow.

Posted by: Crescendo Forte.4821

Crescendo Forte.4821

I was testing out mounts with a friend. He’s the type that rebound his A/D keys to strafe. I’m the type that unbound my strafe keys, replacing them with skill keys. We both prefer hard turning with our mouse, and we both utilize free-camera. We found some annoying inconsistencies that made mounts a chore for him, while more natural for me. We also found a few control annoyances/inconsistencies.

• Strafe keys SOMETIMES work, but only while moving. Otherwise, it just turns. For those that use their strafe keys to actually move, this is unnatural and annoying. Sometimes your mount doesn’t even turn.
  • Holding right click and using A/D keys does not turn your mount while standing in place. Holding Left-Click does.
  • Free-camera doesn’t work. Camera locks on mount wherever it’s facing, while moving.
    • Side-note, I understand why no first-person mode (head in mount), but I think it’d be cool

As for jumping and such, I very much enjoy the jumping. The race-car turning is something for people to get used to, but turning in place shouldn’t have to be an ordeal. Others have mentioned how raptors get stuck on stairs.

Posted by: JanTar.5961

JanTar.5961

I was testing out mounts with a friend. He’s the type that rebound his A/D keys to strafe. I’m the type that unbound my strafe keys, replacing them with skill keys. We both prefer hard turning with our mouse, and we both utilize free-camera. We found some annoying inconsistencies that made mounts a chore for him, while more natural for me. We also found a few control annoyances/inconsistencies.

• Strafe keys SOMETIMES work, but only while moving. Otherwise, it just turns. For those that use their strafe keys to actually move, this is unnatural and annoying. Sometimes your mount doesn’t even turn.
  • Holding right click and using A/D keys does not turn your mount while standing in place. Holding Left-Click does.
  • Free-camera doesn’t work. Camera locks on mount wherever it’s facing, while moving.
    • Side-note, I understand why no first-person mode (head in mount), but I think it’d be cool

As for jumping and such, I very much enjoy the jumping. The race-car turning is something for people to get used to, but turning in place shouldn’t have to be an ordeal. Others have mentioned how raptors get stuck on stairs.

These 3 points are exactly what is bothering me with the raptor mount. I love the feel when it moves, I love that you can’t change directions instantly as if you were on foot but the 3 points listed here keep it from being PERFECT and I really hope these will be changed for full release.
I would just add that while holding right-click and standing still it does turn your mount but it will always turn it to face were the camera is pointed no matter what strafe key you are holding and that makes it useless.

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

I like the way they work now, they feel more like riding an animal rather than just wearing leg extensions.

Posted by: leftyboy.9358

leftyboy.9358

I thought this was a brilliant suggestion for compromise.

Would allow those who want to role play their mounts to do so.

Would allow those who want their mount to feel like a natural extension of the character in movement and who couldn’t care less about “realism”, to have their way as well.

Everyone goes home happy.

Flatley.1620

I thought this was a brilliant suggestion for compromise.

Would allow those who want to role play their mounts to do so.

Would allow those who want their mount to feel like a natural extension of the character in movement and who couldn’t care less about “realism”, to have their way as well.

Everyone goes home happy.

Thanks!

However, since posting that, I’ve thought of an issue: it would probably need amimation updates, which, at this late stage may be very unlikely for strafing to be a possibility

Posted by: Dante.1763

Dante.1763

Thanks!

However, since posting that, I’ve thought of an issue: it would probably need amimation updates, which, at this late stage may be very unlikely for strafing to be a possibility

Maybe, then again, with the sheer amount of people that had problems with motion sickness caused by the jerky movements of the raptor(among other issues due to how they work) they may already be doing them, at least i hope so, cause itd be bad for people who have played the game for 5 years(myself included) to not be able to continue due to something thats required making them sick.

I say yes to strafing, i have to do it on my character or else start feeling ill. Either through a toggle option or by default, i dont care, but its needed.

The pvp community reminds me of what Obi-kittenenobi describes Mos Eisley as from star wars.