Retconning the Sea of Sorrows... AGAIN!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: TeeracK.3601

TeeracK.3601

Anyone else think the Sea of Sorrows should be looked at and adjusted? It just seems like kind of a mess to me right now. If you consider Claw Island and Garenhoff their ships would need to be going through Tengu lands all the time which just doesn’t make a lot of sense considering the Tengu are supposed to keep people out of their lands. In fact some people don’t realize this but the dungeon they added and removed in living story the Flame and Frost one was actually right next door to Lion’s Arch on the other side of the Tengu wall. It just seems like the Dev’s were planing on having the D’Alessio Seaboard in the game at one point looking at Tyra 3D. There is also the fact the Wizards tower moved from where it was in GW1 because of the Tengu and it seems a little silly to think it would move out of their lands… into their lands, and not move even further west. Then when they added South Sun Cove it kinda made things worse. They just slapped it over the map not connected to anything and not really in a location that it was planned to exist when they thought about the location of things since the original map didn’t even include it unexplored.

Here is what the Original Map looked like.
http://i.imgur.com/TbEgMmG.jpg

Here is the new map unexplored and explored
http://i.imgur.com/KUSwffP.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jff5dOH.jpg

Just by doing that they already retconned that part of the world.

So this is just my idea on how to fix that region and make it so the Dominion of Winds makes sense, and South Sun Cove doesn’t feel so out of place and disconnected.
http://i.imgur.com/XFLset7.jpg

I think by simply moving South Sun Cove cover and adding an actual zone portal to connect it to Sparkfly Fen helps a ton. there already is a small chunk of coast line in the bottom corner of south sun you just die if you swim to it. When you zone in you’d be on a little cost on the mountain side and then just swim over like you do in Stairs of Devastation. The Dominion of Winds can stay a isolated Tengu area. D’Alessio Seaboard should just be it’s own zone outside of the Dominion of the Winds and allow us to actually go to Claw island in game outside of a story instance. I’m pretty confident that was ArenaNets original plan anyway considering there is a sea wall in Tyria 3D between Sanctum Cay and D’Alessio Seaboard. I’d also just like to say before anyone thinks the D’Alessios Seaboard looks like its too big to be one zone it’s almost exactly the same size as Caledon Forest if you moved the outline I made over to Caledon.

I feel like Sout Ssun more then anything else needs to be updated because of how disconnected it feels. I remember when season 1 started with south sun how disjointed it felt from the rest of the world really put a lot of people off and a ton of people missed out on frame of and frost cause of having not stuck around for south sun after. I think that was why when they added Drytop in Season 2 they didn’t just drop it in they actually took the time to change and expand on Brisband so that it felt like the world was expanding and not just some random new map where ever.

Alternatively they could also fix this by expanding on the Glove a little and adding a Sylvari Dock to the City instead of shifting South Sun over. The zone portals could just be at the end of a dock.

http://i.imgur.com/bED17zH.jpg

That’s just my opinion I don’t know if anyone else gets a little annoyed when ever looking at the Sea of Sorrows but that’s what I think they should do.

(edited by TeeracK.3601)

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Tengu land is kind of odd. It stars in LA,and borders on Caledon. But there is a human port right in the middle of it where the wizards tower is, it has moved from where it was to around where the temple of tolerance was. I’ve given up on trying to compere the 2 game maps, the seismic changes to the maps should have killed everyone. Things do not change that much naturally with out a loss of a lot of life. Mountain ranges appearing from no where, sinkholes swallowing places, Ascalon city, Temple of the Ages, the dwarven village in Loners pass that was in dreadnoughts drift.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

If you really looks at it, there are two zones. The city sized zone right next to LA and the starter zone right next to Caladon. They’re split by the passage to the wizard’s tower.

Back during development Tengu actually were going to be playable, but they scrapped them. They still have all the areas, though.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

Posted by: TeeracK.3601

TeeracK.3601

Tengu land is kind of odd. It stars in LA,and borders on Caledon. But there is a human port right in the middle of it where the wizards tower is, it has moved from where it was to around where the temple of tolerance was. I’ve given up on trying to compere the 2 game maps, the seismic changes to the maps should have killed everyone. Things do not change that much naturally with out a loss of a lot of life. Mountain ranges appearing from no where, sinkholes swallowing places, Ascalon city, Temple of the Ages, the dwarven village in Loners pass that was in dreadnoughts drift.

I was comparing the map from the start of gw2 to what it looks like in HoT. Not comparing gw1 to gw2.

If you really looks at it, there are two zones. The city sized zone right next to LA and the starter zone right next to Caladon. They’re split by the passage to the wizard’s tower.

Back during development Tengu actually were going to be playable, but they scrapped them. They still have all the areas, though.

That leaves out all the islands and the fact it’s been stated a ton of times that the City is on Sanctum Cay and not on the D’Alessio Seaboard.

(edited by TeeracK.3601)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

Is the wizard a Tengu by any chance? A story arc right there could open up the Tengu being playable. Let’s be honest, if there is going to be a new playable race it’s going to be Tengu due to some infrastructure for them being in place, sharing meshes with Charr, and being highly demanded.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

i would really like them to make southsun cove more connected to the other zones, it was a pretty random addition to the universe so every little bit helps, even like that small mention in the tiger hunt for chuka and champawat

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

Is the wizard a Tengu by any chance? A story arc right there could open up the Tengu being playable. Let’s be honest, if there is going to be a new playable race it’s going to be Tengu due to some infrastructure for them being in place, sharing meshes with Charr, and being highly demanded.

We know very little about the tower. In GW1 there are 2 people trying to get into it. One is a necro when the “Villainy of Galrath”. The architecture looks human. So I don’t think its Tengui

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

People say this a lot, but I’ve never seen a quote from Anet to support. It’s love to see one if you have it.

Posted by: Tuomir.1830

Tuomir.1830

People say this a lot, but I’ve never seen a quote from Anet to support. It’s love to see one if you have it.

“The tengu were originally considered for inclusion as a playable race, but we pulled back and settled on the five races you now see in the game. We had a big walled city in the middle of the map that was going to house the tengu. That city is still there – you can’t get in – but you might run into a few just outside the walls at trading posts.” – Aaron Coberly, The Making of Guild Wars 2

Only fools and heroes charge in without a plan.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

We know very little about the tower. In GW1 there are 2 people trying to get into it. One is a necro when the “Villainy of Galrath”. The architecture looks human. So I don’t think its Tengui

A human could have built it but a Tengu could occupy it currently. I think introducing a Tengu member of Destiny’s Edge would be cool. He (and it should be a he considering 2.0’s current ratio) would be a necromancer modeled after FANG from Street Figther 5. Imagine this guy but a Tengu with the hat, sunglasses, and robe refashioned into a GW2 artstyle.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-20-one-of-street-fighter-5s-greatest-mysteries-solved