Revenant

Revenant

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: No Walking.6349

No Walking.6349

Talk about the new class announced today, the Revenant!

Looks like a Dervish with a new skin, which is what I predicted, and which excites me to no end after having a Dervish main during GW1. Dervishes called upon powers of mysticism and old gods to grant them new abilities, Revenants call upon powers of old heroes to do the same!

Discuss!

(edited by No Walking.6349)

Revenant

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

It’s nice to see the Ritualist is making it’s way into this game in some form.

Revenant

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

So Rituvish or Dertulist ?

Revenant

No Walking.6349

Looks a lot more like a Dervish class. Engineers are pretty much the same thing as Ritualists.

Revenant

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Looks a lot more like a Dervish class. Engineers are pretty much the same thing as Ritualists.

Channeling the power(s) of ancestors, heroes, spirits, and legends of the past is pretty much what Ritualists were in GW1.

Revenant

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

So Rituvish or Dertulist ?

Both

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Revenant

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

I wouldn’t say that revanent is going to be overpowered as much as people aren’t going to know how to fight them or as them. There is very limited release of them but they kinda sound like a melee plate elementalist. Swapping in and out of incarnations so they may have a steeper learning curve then most.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

Revenant

Posted by: Brahmincorle.1264

Brahmincorle.1264

I think they will implement it in same way as they implemented elementalists… f1 for this hero, f2 for another one etc.

Revenant

No Walking.6349

Channeling the power(s) of ancestors, heroes, spirits, and legends of the past is pretty much what Ritualists were in GW1.

GW2 already has ritualists… they’re called engineers.

Lay spirits, lay turrets
equip kits, equip ashes

How do people not see this? Revs are going to be more dervish mechanic-wise for sure.

Revenant

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

So channeling the spirits of legendary ancient heroes, gaining different skills based on the hero you are channeling.

I thought we already had Ele’s and Engi’s. Maybe it would’ve been good to explain what makes Revenant so different from these two professions. Because everything they’ve said so far sounds like a theme-swapped Engineer.

Revenant

Posted by: Zackie.8923

Zackie.8923

hes like a puppet master except his puppets that he summons gives him their power and abilites

Revenant

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

So channeling the spirits of legendary ancient heroes, gaining different skills based on the hero you are channeling.

I thought we already had Ele’s and Engi’s. Maybe it would’ve been good to explain what makes Revenant so different from these two professions.

Agreed, we need some mechanics. Likely we’ll be getting it soon in the same way they announced the 8 professions originally. Looking forward to it, hopefully it is announced soon.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Revenant

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Lay spirits, lay turrets
equip kits, equip ashes

How do people not see this? Revs are going to be more dervish mechanic-wise for sure.

I think when people say it’s like the ritualist they mean the lore/theme more than the mechanics.

Ritualists channel spirits from the Mists, including famous heroes from the past. Revenants will channel ‘legends’ from the mists, which sound very similar but without the specific human connection.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Revenant

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Lay spirits, lay turrets
equip kits, equip ashes

… but the dervish’s thing was casting enchantments and removing them to empower other skills.

Revenant

Posted by: ThanatosAngel.8024

ThanatosAngel.8024

Revenants are obviously “Heavy Armor Ritualists” in terms of lore more than gameplay. Their profession is based around channeling the spirits of the dead in the same way that Ritualists did in GW1.

They would only be like Dervish if they had some sort of enchantment removal mechanic. So far, it’s not looking like they do (I hope they do).

Revenant

Posted by: Dahkeus.8243

Dahkeus.8243

In this thread:

“Revenants are Ritualists!”
“No, Revenants are Dervish!”

But honestly…Revenants are Revenants, lol.

Revenant

Posted by: MIGhost.3975

MIGhost.3975

Revenant reminds me of anime called Shaman King.

Revenant

Posted by: Alchymista.8192

Alchymista.8192

Seafarer Never Rest

Revenant

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

Guys it’s not Revenant, it’s Renevant.

Revenant

Posted by: True Windigo.1704

True Windigo.1704

It’s a hardcore RIT!

Revenant

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

It’s a hardcore RIT!

Nah, it’s totally casual.

Revenant

Posted by: daimasei.4091

daimasei.4091

Mmh… Revenant (or the original meaning) is related to undeads (in many games is the most powerful kind of ghostly/undead warriors [like death knights but masterless].)

ArenaNet and their Chinese overlords HATE undead related things (just look at what they did to the "necro"mancer).

Also, as many should know, it’s going to be highly OP at the begging, then nerfed to oblivion (like the Dervish or pretty much any new class added in any game).

Of course, this is just a guess since I don’t have enough info about this new profession yet.

Why fix the Necromancer for free when we can charge $$$ for the Revenant
-ArenaNet

Revenant

Posted by: MagisterXII.4016

MagisterXII.4016

The theme of the Revenant is obviously based around the Ritualist know matter how you look at it. Like how the Guardian was born from the Monk or Thief from Assassin.

Revenant

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

Revenant channel the power of great legends from Guild wars past and use those to help power its abilities.. King Jalis Ironhammer is one of the legends Revenant will be able to channel and Jalis’s dwarf abilities will be available to you when you channel him. The demon Mallyx buried at the heart of the Domain of Anguish is another legend that Revenant can channel to use the power of conditions to defeat their enemies.

From Dulfy..Controling conditions..thats souund nasty. On the other hand i wonder i they will have weapon swap? Ele – light, doesnt have swap, so does engi – medium.

Revenant

Posted by: Trinnitty.8256

Trinnitty.8256

more of a ritualist i think. He said “channeling” that was a ritualist trait.

Revenant

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

This is no profession.
A profession consists of skills, talents and expertises, one has to LEARN to master the profession.

But the Revenant learns nothing, he steals just the powers from others that lived in the past and can do this only, because the revenant got put this ability to control the powers of the mist free into the butt, without us knowing so far at all, how you get this ability and what you have to do, to gain this ability…

But it is absolutely no profession in regard to what the others all are, where you can clearly talk about skills, talents and expertises, that these profressions have, which need to be learned to master your profession, which don’t have all just some inherent powers that come from the realm of the dead, and thus should be logically just an ability, that Necromancers should be able to receive and not some kind of wannabe soldiers that seem to be just somehow “blessed” by that ability to control the powers of the mist, because the clear explanation of how to receive this abiloity is currently missing.

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

Revenant

daimasei.4091

Revenant channel the power of great legends from Guild wars past and use those to help power its abilities..

Like Dervish channel the power of the human gods? Yep, sound like the new Dervish.

-ArenaNet

Revenant

Posted by: Azzer.8137

Azzer.8137

New profession not class*

That said from what little we’ve seen it looks freaking awesome, i can’t wait to try it out!

Revenant

Posted by: Zhaneel.9208

Zhaneel.9208

That’s true, it could be a dervish. Like a dervish/ritualist hybrid. That could have potential.

Revenant

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

Ill admit, the art for the revenant is kitten.

Sadly, i think all of this news is too late for me. I’ll follow the incoming informations as Anet releases it about the expansions and what that means for the future of the game, but I think Ive sort of moved on

Wish this happened a year ago.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

Revenant

daimasei.4091

That’s true, it could be a dervish. Like a dervish/ritualist hybrid. That could have potential.

Based on the art and the few info we have, it certainly looks like a dervish/ritualist hybrid.

-ArenaNet

Revenant

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

I wonder how much power creep the new profession will need to have to make space for it in the pvp-focused design?

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Revenant

Posted by: Zephyron.7081

Zephyron.7081

I hope it has a new and different resource mechanic like the theif.

Revenant

Posted by: Moldur.6275

Moldur.6275

Lay spirits, lay turrets
equip kits, equip ashes

You need to realize something. Players are not characterizing a class-request for its mechanics, but for its theme. From that perspective yes ritualist and engi do share some mechanics, but they are very far apart theme wise.
When the community did ask for something like gw ritualist, the main focus wasn’t to get the mechanics back, it was the theme, the spiritual magician that could use spirits but not necessarily with an engi mechanic.

To be added is that I’m totally in love with this Revenant and I think it is an excellent choice of theme for a new class, the mechanics for the mist legend inspiration are yet to be presented.

(edited by Moldur.6275)

Revenant

Posted by: Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

Sankofa Jimiyu.1567

The Light and Medium armor classes have their utility based classes. I guess they made the Renevant one for Heavy Armor classes.

“Look like the innocent flower, but be the Obaba under’t.”

Revenant

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

With all due respect but that’s nonsense. I play certain professions more than others because I like to play them more. I try to find a build on each profession I like to play, not because of the theme but because it’s fun to play for me.

Sure there will be some people who don’t like to play something just for it’s theme. But if you don’t enjoy playing that profession now you probably won’t enjoy a theme-swapped version of that profession either, because you are ultimately doing the same thing that you did not enjoy in the first place.

Revenant

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I believe the mechanical difference here is that it will be a heavy buff class. Ritualist had a lot of spirits that buffed and debuffed. When the engi took over as the “new ritualist” it took over the turrets, but only the offensive (with little defense) mechanics. I think the Reverant will take the idea of channeling spirits to enhance or debuff, not necessarily as attacks themselves.

Example: Pain spirit of ritualist is like the rifle turrent. However there is no engi version of a Union spirit. i think this is where the Reverant will come in (though it won’t likely be a turrent style spirit, but an aura emmitted from the Reverant itself).

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Revenant

Moldur.6275

Revenant channel the power of great legends from Guild wars past and use those to help power its abilities.. King Jalis Ironhammer is one of the legends Revenant will be able to channel and Jalis’s dwarf abilities will be available to you when you channel him. The demon Mallyx buried at the heart of the Domain of Anguish is another legend that Revenant can channel to use the power of conditions to defeat their enemies.

From Dulfy..Controling conditions..thats souund nasty. On the other hand i wonder i they will have weapon swap? Ele – light, doesnt have swap, so does engi – medium.

I hope it is only 1 weapon equipped at a time, adds more realism and more synergy to the skills designed for one weapon only.

Revenant

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

It looks like a combination of dervish and ritualist. This makes sense because many of Guild Wars 2’s classes feel like a combination of many Guild Wars 1’s classes.

Gone to Reddit.

Revenant

Posted by: vladracul.6798

vladracul.6798

Don’t know if anyone posted before about the easter egg on Hidden Arcana story, but there is a book talking about “object trapping spirts”, I thought that was a clear indicator we would have some kind of ritualist magic back, and it seems like that, a mix with Dervish too, thought those shadow steps are so thief alike Oo

Revenant

Moldur.6275

With all due respect but that’s nonsense. I play certain professions more than others because I like to play them more. I try to find a build on each profession I like to play, not because of the theme but because it’s fun to play for me.

Sure there will be some people who don’t like to play something just for it’s theme. But if you don’t enjoy playing that profession now you probably won’t enjoy a theme-swapped version of that profession either, because you are ultimately doing the same thing that you did not enjoy in the first place.

Don’t bother to honour respect if you don’t read what I wrote in the first place. I am talking about when players ask for a new class they don’t look on a specific mechanic, but rather the theme for that class. You know what they say, it is the exterior that gives the interior a chance. Players get attracted to the spiritual aspect of the ritualist, the fighting style with scythe of the dervish and the spear of the paragon. When they see a theme they like, they give it a try. Then is the time to test the class mechanics, and decide whether they like it or not.

In conclusion: the theme attracts the player, the mechanics keep you staying. That is my thesis and it is not nonsense.

(edited by Moldur.6275)

Revenant

Posted by: PSX.9250

PSX.9250

My Ritualist is reborn!

Revenant

Posted by: Shanks.2907

Shanks.2907

Whatever it is, I think it will be my main when it comes out. I never liked guardian due to the crap mobility and warrior due to the simplicity. I hope the new class will have a high skill cap and alot of build diversity.

Btw in the trailer, Rytolock became a Revenant and we saw him teleporting around and stabbing people with a sword.

It looks like a mix between thief/dervish and ritualist.

I saw that too and was so excited. Looked like some fun mechanics that can take advantage of my bolt. I’m building up to 80 tomes of knowledge and I’ve got a stack of skill points to buy all the traits.

Revenant

Posted by: Ares.3619

Ares.3619

I’ll play it as long as I can channel the powers of Mhenlo, he’s a real playa.

Revenant

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Been hoping for a new heavy armour class, it being a magical class as well is great.

If it does have some Dervish inspiration then hopefully I can channel some Human Gods.

Revenant

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

It would be wild if you could summon old heroes like Koss, M.O.X., Gwen, Mhenlo, Devona, Aidan, and Cynn.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Revenant

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

It looks like a Ritualist. And sounds like one. The ritualist channeled its powers from the mists. Revenant channels powers from the mists. Ritualist used the power of ancient heroes to aid them in battle. Revenant uses the power of ancient heroes to aid them in battle. It has absolutely no similarities with the dervish from what we can see now.

Revenant

Posted by: Knighthonor.4061

Knighthonor.4061

Sounds very similar to my Reaper class idea, what you think?
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/New-Soldier-Class-Reaper/page/2#post4725022

Revenant

Moldur.6275

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/New-Soldier-Class-Reaper/page/2#post4725022

Similarity: heavy armour.
No Similarity: everything else, especially 90% of your page being a re-skinned melee necro makeover.

No one on the forums was even close to guessing this class beforehand, if someone can prove me wrong please link.

(edited by Moldur.6275)

Revenant

Posted by: Lily.1935

Lily.1935

Similarity: heavy armour.
No Similarity: everything else, especially 90% of your page being a re-skinned melee necro makeover.

No one on the forums was even close to guessing this class beforehand, if someone can prove me wrong please link.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Ritualist-We-pull-strength-from-our-past/first#post2098717

The machincs I suggested are quite a bit different but there is a few key similarities to my ritualist suggestion and the Revenant.