Reviving the Revive Orb

Reviving the Revive Orb

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: SarahWitter.2317

SarahWitter.2317

Hello fellow Tyrians,

The Ring of Fire content update is going to bring an update to Revive Orbs as well and I’m here to give you a sneak peek into the changes that you can expect. We’ve heard your feedback on the current design of Revive Orb and Revive Sickness: health comes back too low, it applies cripple to you, and its cumbersome to use.

The new Revive Orb functionality is intended to address some of these concerns head on while keeping the item well balanced with the gameplay.

• Revive Sickness has been updated to be more in line with other forms of revival. The orb will return you to 50% of your health pool instead of previous 1 health point.  You no longer are crippled but are locked in combat state for 60 seconds and cannot use another orb while under Revive Sickness.
• When defeated, if you have an orb in inventory, you will receive a UI option to ‘Consume a Revive Orb’ alongside the usual “Return to Waypoint” option.
• We’ve replaced the Ghostly Caretaker with an orb vortex that circles above your body and fills in for the 10 seconds it takes for the revival to complete.

All previous existing Revive Orbs will automatically be updated to reflect these changes. This item remains unavailable in WvW, PvP, and Raids content. Whether you use it in Central Tyria, Heart of Maguuma, or even Ember Bay, we hope you will be pleased with the new Revive Orb. 

Thank you and we’ll see you in the game.
Sarah Witter

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

… why a 60-second combat lock?

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This sounds like a really good change.

At the moment I’m often reluctant to use Revive Orbs because it’s so slow and there’s a very high probability of being killed again before the sickness wears off. I’ll basically only use it if I know there’s no enemies, environmental effects or anything else dangerous anywhere around and I’m 99% sure no other players are around either and there are big advantages to reviving where I am instead of using a waypoint.

Which basically means I only ever use them when I’ve fallen part-way off a jumping puzzle at a quiet time of day. (And on rare occasions when I’ve broken out of a map but died in the process…only so I can submit a full bug report of course. )

This change sounds like it will completely remove the first consideration and drastically reduce the second, meaning my revive orbs will be much more useful to me. I look forward to trying it out. Hopefully not too soon…although I heard Josh made a jumping puzzle for the new map, so I’ll probably be using them on day 1!

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Presumably so you don’t immediately start regenerating HP back to 100% and to maintain some measure of thoughtfulness in the proper usage of the item (ie. Don’t use if surrounded by fifty Chak).

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Makes sense.

Also potentially alludes to a range of qol improvements coming with the episode which is great

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Excellent.

Now we just need an ‘account pocket’ in the inventory panel where keys and the gemstore consumables go, so we don’t have to carry them around or waste account-wide inventory slots with countless items we hardly ever use and we never miss until that one time we actually needed them but forgot to bring them along, so they only end up accumulating in the bank.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

I love this change!

~EW

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: drkn.3429

drkn.3429

No matter how small, quality of life changes are always very welcome and the re-ignited work on the little details is what brings hope for even better huge things.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Bugabuga.9721

Bugabuga.9721

Yay, it will be less trolly than before. Though let me ask you this:
when you say “50% of health pool” do you mean “50% of your normal out-of-combat health pool” or “50% of health pool when you died”?

Because the latter due to downed penalty might mean “12% of your health” (you get one of those “5 veterans knock you down and kill you” things, “ooh rallied, nope killed, ooh rallied again, nope dead” situations) which is better than “anything sneezes at you and you die” but is still quite trolly.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Nash.2681

Nash.2681

Sounds all good and like a real QoL improvement, I just hope you make sure that this

• When defeated, if you have an orb in inventory, you will receive a UI option to ‘Consume a Revive Orb’ alongside the usual “Return to Waypoint” option.

option is significantly divided from the “Return to Waypoint” option to prevent accidental missclicks and consumptions of orbs

XMG U716 (i7 6700, 16GB DDR4@2133Mhz, GTX980m, Samsung 850Evo 250 GB, Seagate SSHD 500GB)

Leader of “Servants of Balance” [SoB], a small guild endemic to the FSP.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Lulleh.6714

Lulleh.6714

Now we just need a Endless Revive Orb !

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Brent.4560

Brent.4560

That would be tight.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

The only 2 issues I have with the revive orbs are the HUGE casting time it takes to use one and the inability to cancel the use of one once you’ve started. Never fails that kind soul reaches you out of no where when the revive orb casting bar gets to 99%.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

This sounds great! Thank you for your hard work. =)

Now I will take the stack out of the bank and distribute them among my characters (that actually see combat, etc.)

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

I get the impression that orbs will be on sale in the gem store and the next content update will almost require them.

(*oh look, the bloodstone knights now have an 8k range instead of the already ridiculous 4k range they have now)

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Sir Vincent III.1286

Sir Vincent III.1286

I get the impression that orbs will be on sale in the gem store and the next content update will almost require them.

(*oh look, the bloodstone knights now have an 8k range instead of the already ridiculous 4k range they have now)

lol hahaha, my thoughts exactly.

http://sirvincentiii.com ~ In the beginning…there was Tarnished Coast…
Full set of 5 unique skills for both dual-wield weapon sets: P/P and D/D – Make it happen
PvE – DD/CS/AC – If that didn’t work, roll a Reaper or Revenant.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: JakHammer.7094

JakHammer.7094

After only 4 years the most useless single thing in the game gets a possible fix. Any improvement will be great, thanks.

Did anybody waste an inventory slot to actually carry one of these for anything other than avoiding a run back when doing the Pirate Puzzle?

Reviving the Revive Orb

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Did anybody waste an inventory slot to actually carry one of these for anything other than avoiding a run back when doing the Pirate Puzzle?

Me.

In fact, I have a shared inventory slot dedicated to them. They aren’t useful all the time, true… if they were, then I’d definitely be doing something wrong to regularly need self-rezzing.

~EW

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Dhan Rahl.8493

Dhan Rahl.8493

Will we be able to use the revive orbs from our bank if we don’t have them in our inventory/shared inventory?

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Do we get a dodge on revive? I cannot recall but i think that caused redeath alot too unless I remember wrong.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Danikat.8537

Revive Orbs were one of the first things I put into a shared inventory slot. No I don’t use them often but they’re one of those things where I never know when I’m going to need them and never seemed to have them when I did.

But then I also have my Quaggan tonic and balloon and kite in shared slots, so maybe I’m just not prioritising them in the same way as other people.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Lyp Sao.1375

Lyp Sao.1375

After only 4 years the most useless single thing in the game gets a possible fix. Any improvement will be great, thanks.

You can log to another toon (mule), put an orb in a shared slot, log back to your dead toon and revive yourself.

I’m sure it works (?)

Don’t fight the other ants
Fight the queens

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

“When defeated, you instead revive with full Health and full Spirit (10m cooldown) "

^^ I’d rather have something like this instead of beeing “locked” so that you are instantly killed again .. or whatever that means. Sounds horrible at least.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

Permanent revive orbe incoming in black Lion chest!!!!

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

“When defeated, you instead revive with full Health and full Spirit (10m cooldown) "

^^ I’d rather have something like this instead of beeing “locked” so that you are instantly killed again .. or whatever that means. Sounds horrible at least.

I maybe wrong on this but I read “locked in combat” as meaning that you are in combat status and cannot use any “out of combat” services (WP, health regen, etc.) I did not assume that it meant that you were locked in place somehow.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Danikat.8537

I maybe wrong on this but I read “locked in combat” as meaning that you are in combat status and cannot use any “out of combat” services (WP, health regen, etc.) I did not assume that it meant that you were locked in place somehow.

That’s how I interpreted it too. It just means you’ll be in combat for 60 seconds even if nothing is attacking you. So your health won’t regenerate automatically, you can’t change skills, can’t use waypoints etc.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I doubt many purchase Revive Orbs. Most, likely, have many sitting in the bank from chests of various kinds.

As for ‘focusing on single-player content’, I have to say I have no idea what you are referring to.

I’m happy to have the Devs come share ‘details’ and/or ask our opinion on whether to implement something or not.

Keep on doing what you are doing, Devs!

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Shut up and take my gems

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Vegeta.2563

Vegeta.2563

So when are we getting an Endless Revive Orb Contract?

This Guild Is Fire [PRUF]

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

I liked the ghost, RIP ghost, you will be missed.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Scellow.1596

Scellow.1596

Just as a reminder: This topic is about revive orbs, not the gem store or black lion keys.

Yes, sorry about that i’ll stop, i just got frustrated, because i literally just wasted 60€ (65 to be exact) and not getting what i expected, even tought i knew it was random..

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Sir Black.7423

Sir Black.7423

Excellent.

Now we just need an ‘account pocket’ in the inventory panel where keys and the gemstore consumables go, so we don’t have to carry them around or waste account-wide inventory slots with countless items we hardly ever use and we never miss until that one time we actually needed them but forgot to bring them along, so they only end up accumulating in the bank.

This. So much this.

I’m sitting on over 50 Revive Orbs (as well as over 50 each of Instant Repair Canisters, TP Express, Bank Express, and Merchant Express) because I never get around to wasting inventory space on carrying them or spend time juggling them between alts just to have them around for the once-in-a-great-while cases that I actually want one.

So I end up never using them and just keep piling them up from free sources which further means I’ll never have any desire to buy more from the Gem Store.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Revive orbs were fine the way they were. A good way to revive if you stupidly fell off of something or died from conditions after killing an enemy with nobody around.

Now you’ve created a situation where you are actually capable to engage in combat after using one, making it literally superior to getting a res from another player in any group situation as it can not be interrupted.

This would be fine except for the part where the only reliable source of said orbs is the cash shop.

Stop selling combat mechanics interactions in the shop. Please. They are not “well balanced with the gameplay” and never will be. They are straight up purchases of consumable character power than can only be acquired in reliable supply from the gem store.

Giving them out for daily logins in an effort to advertise their presence in the gem store does not make them fair additions to the game.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

I have a question I didn’t see addressed, will there be new revive orbs, or will this be a buff to the revive orbs we already have sitting in our banks? I have a rather large pile so I am hoping it will be the latter.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Danikat.8537

I have a question I didn’t see addressed, will there be new revive orbs, or will this be a buff to the revive orbs we already have sitting in our banks? I have a rather large pile so I am hoping it will be the latter.

All previous existing Revive Orbs will automatically be updated to reflect these changes.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

All previous existing Revive Orbs will automatically be updated to reflect these changes.

Thanks, I don’t know how I missed that in the original… must not have gotten enough sleep and need a revive orb (known as “coffee” around here…lol)

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

When defeated, if you have an orb in inventory, you will receive a UI option to ‘Consume a Revive Orb’ alongside the usual “Return to Waypoint” option.

Can this UI option be turned off? I like to try some crazy stuff sometimes and end up dying a few times. That doesn’t mean I want repeated reminders, OR have to go ditch the orbs to try it, when it was a spur of the moment thing.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Tumult.2578

Tumult.2578

How many years for this forum bug now?

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

Locked in combat mode for 60 seconds?

It’s bad enough that happens on a regular basis just running through a map, without being downed or killed.

I could get hit by something, or my ranger pet, and even though whatever attacked is far behind me, I’m still stuck in combat mode. I could travel quite a distance and stop at a spot with no hostile creatures around and whatever attacked me is far behind me and the game won’t take me out of combat mode. I could stand there for at least a couple minute and not get out until I travel a bit further. The reason why it’s super annoying is because when you’re in a hurry to get somewhere, your travel speed is severely reduced. It could just be my ranger pet not wanting to let go of aggro on whatever attacked. Don’t know.

It doesn’t really matter if the player is crippled or stuck in combat after using a revive orb, because they both have the same effect: your character walks really really slow, and even swiftness doesn’t help enough in either situation.

It makes life difficult when you’re trying to get to where the action had moved to, but can’t get there in time to get credit for anything because you’re stuck in combat mode and walking slow. I’ve actually got to events just a few seconds too late due to being stuck in combat mode because some piece of trash creature whacked me or my pet as I was trying to make my way across the area.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Heimskarl Ashfiend.9582

Now all they need to do is drop the gem cost to, say, 25 gems per and they will be semi-useful. Right now it costs 72.5g to buy one from the store if you buy with gold, if you buy gems with RL money, its costing you 46g (opportunity cost) and $3.15… That is not value in anyone’s language. Plus, you can’t just buy 250 gems with RL money anyway.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

Presumably so you don’t immediately start regenerating HP back to 100% and to maintain some measure of thoughtfulness in the proper usage of the item (ie. Don’t use if surrounded by fifty Chak).

Except “Surrounded by 50 Chak” is now one of the better places to use it, since you’re going to be locked in combat forever anyway.

Previously, Revive orbs were handy if you died somewhere obscure, like falling to your doom in a jumping puzzle or getting ninja-ganked by a flung rock in Bloodstone Fen. Now, with health regen and move speed snared for a full 60 seconds, it loses all of its “Get up and get back to exploring” function.

Before, it was a nice tool for resuming exploration after a misstep or lingering damage from a won battle (Condi or lingering area-denial) Now, the Revive orb has lost any sort of function outside of getting back up (instead of WPing) during a world boss fight.

(edited by Sartharina.3542)

Reviving the Revive Orb

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Except “Surrounded by 50 Chak” is now one of the better places to use it, since you’re going to be locked in combat forever anyway.

Previously, Revive orbs were handy if you died somewhere obscure, like falling to your doom in a jumping puzzle or getting ninja-ganked by a flung rock in Bloodstone Fen. Now, with health regen and move speed snared for a full 60 seconds, it loses all of its “Get up and get back to exploring” function.

Before, it was a nice tool for resuming exploration after a misstep or lingering damage from a won battle (Condi or lingering area-denial) Now, the Revive orb has lost any sort of function outside of getting back up (instead of WPing) during a world boss fight.

I completely disagree. If you’re “somewhere obscure” then it’s still as useful as before… a min is nothing to wait out… much faster than wp and running back in most situations… and you can still run around and move about with more than 1hp and the crippling movement that existed previously. You can still continue your jumping puzzle or whatever else obscure thing you were doing when you died… AND still take some amount of falling damage or whatever while that 1 min is ticking down…. and, if you’re in a non-combat situation when you use it, guess what? You have a healing skill you can use!

If anything it retains it’s previous benefits of “get up and get back to exploring” and now has additional usefulness like when you’re “surrounded by 50 chak.”

~EW

(edited by EphemeralWallaby.7643)

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: kermq.6258

kermq.6258

Thats going to be pay to win

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

What is the point of having a minus (in combat for a minute)? You can’t use these in raids, WvW or PvP. That leaves dungeons and regular PvE. Are so many people doing dungeons that a full minute of in combat is needed?

Maybe arenanet needs to rethink this item. It’s expensive to buy for what it does and most of the time there’s a waypoint nearby so it’s easier to waypoint then run back rather than use something like that.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Daroon.1736

Daroon.1736

What is the point of having a minus (in combat for a minute)? You can’t use these in raids, WvW or PvP. That leaves dungeons and regular PvE. Are so many people doing dungeons that a full minute of in combat is needed?

Maybe arenanet needs to rethink this item. It’s expensive to buy for what it does and most of the time there’s a waypoint nearby so it’s easier to waypoint then run back rather than use something like that.

You’re assuming that Ring of fire and all future zones will have multiple waypoints.

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Chad.6104

Chad.6104

You’re assuming that Ring of fire and all future zones will have multiple waypoints.

I read that the new map wouldn’t have multiple waypoints, but still what good is the 60 second in combat? What value does it have and why should it be there? It still has the gem price and the time to revive to limit the use so why stick a negative on it?

Edit: there was something about no or fewer waypoints but fast travel by ley lines or something like that. So it still might be better to go to a waypoint then use the maps fast travel system instead of the time to be revived, using up a scarce gemstore item and being limited by a in combat health regen for a minute.

(edited by Chad.6104)

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: SchrodingersCat.8190

SchrodingersCat.8190

This sounds like a great improvement and I really don’t know why “locked in combat for 60 seconds” is such a confusing point for other people. makes sense to me! I’ll take that over the crippled at 1 HP any day!

I bet it looks better and makes more sense lore wise, but I’ll miss the Ghostly Caretaker. That guy was the kitten and the first time I saw him in my early days I peed a little with excitement! I would totally support an option to somehow choose between the two animations. Or maybe your animation is random? or based on where you died? (I dunno. just trying to think of ways to not let cool assets die)

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Sarie.1630

Sarie.1630

Is this ArenaNet’s way of saying: “Prepare your Revive Orbs guys, Rising Flames is gonna end you.”?

Reviving the Revive Orb

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Is this ArenaNet’s way of saying: “Prepare your Revive Orbs guys, Rising Flames is gonna end you.”?

Correlation is not causation.

~EW

Reviving the Revive Orb

Posted by: Maria Murtor.7253

Maria Murtor.7253

Hold on a sec! On the one hand you will nerf the players abillity to revive downed allies, but on the other hand you buff a gemstore item for reviving people? Am I the only one, who thinks, that’s a bit fishy? Split the reviving changes wise for PvP and PvE with the planned Update please.

Guild Wars 2 – Musicvideo: Claws and Steel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghA_efMiWkg