"Rewards"

"Rewards"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Sure, there are some people doing stuff for fun. However, where is the majority of the player-base? Right now, a lot of them are sitting in Sparkfly overflows. Players aren’t playing Teq to farm, they are doing it because it’s new. This will not continue.

Neither Teq, nor 4 hour dungeon runs are farm content. The farmers are running around FGS, maybe Queensdale, maybe CS doing Champ zergs. The dungeon farmers are doing speed runs, one per path per day, only the paths that can be done quickly enough.

And I don’t get the complaint here. Should we just remove all of the easier type of content from the game? Make it give nothing? I too like the Qeensdale farm train and the CoF P1. Right now it’s balanced pretty much nicely as well. Queensdale farm train doesn’t give as much as for example running dungeons does, but the full dungeon reward is capped at 1 a day per path as well. Should we just have a game of content like Tequatl? What should people that don’t have the time to stand around do then? The game is not centered around loot. It is balanced. There are faster ways to get money, sure, but there will always be some. Players that need cash will always find a way.

Honestly, I preferred the game the way it was in BWE 1.

"Rewards"

Posted by: Beast Sos.1457

Beast Sos.1457

Its not that Anet has removed the fun from the game, its that the content wasnt fun to begin with. like someone stated before the rewards were really bad at launch and Anet was/is trying to address that problem but they r doing it in the wrong way, imo. they should have made the content more fun, like the lower lvl area’s dynamic events, not focus on the rewards right away. they shouldnt have made a big deal out of rewards either like they did, they could of easily told us they r going to be working on rewards and just let us experience it for ourselves and not make it such a huge deal where that was what most ppl were looking forwards to in the patches. it also wouldnt have been such a let down and a big deal if/when the rewards werent up to expectations.

When i first started this game i was playing with a irl buddy. from the very beginning he was grinding for a legendary and told me that was the main point of the game, i saw no point in doing so, i thought i was just going to play the game bc it was fun not to get a legendary or to get more gold. but that wore off after i geared out my first 80. i tried going to lower lvl areas to do events but it wasnt fun, imo, so then after that i got sucked into that mindless grind for at least a couple months not bc it was fun but bc i wanted all the new stuff coming out.

With the new teq update i’ve been finally playing for fun but the overflow just kills it and im sick of waiting there for a tleast a hour so i can actually fight him on my server. if they were to do this with all dragons and even the temples, it will make the game much more fun and not all about rewards. this will also prevent everyone on the server, and from other servers, spamming to get into one zone.

This game can really change if Anet wants it too. if all events were updated and made more fun, not just the meta events but all events, the game would be more about having a good time and playing bc u enjoy the game not bc u want to get more legendary weaps or you want best looking set or armour.

"Rewards"

Posted by: cesmode.4257

cesmode.4257

I havent logged in for more than 5 minutes in the past few weeks.

Are invasions still happening? Queens gauntlet zergs?

These two events alone showed me where Arenanets head is at.

Karma is as abundant as air, and as useless as the Kardashians.

"Rewards"

Posted by: Harper.4173

Harper.4173

Sadly I have to agree with the OP.
Back in the days of GW1 I couldn’t care less about titles or in game cash. I played for the fun of it – made cash playing and got what i wanted/needed.

Sadly today – with each new patch of LS I feel the pressure of getting those achievements, the need to grind the new farm and all that is because of the nature of the end-game gear.

1) Time gated – you HAVE to do it today. You have to do the LS before it’s gone. You have to do it NOW. On the game’s terms – not yours.

2)Extremely expensive- check the amount of grind that goes into a legendary – unless you min/max fast farm APs and cash – you’ll get it in maybe a year or more.

Sadly this game changed me as a player. I used to play for fun – now I have fun playing for profit.

If here they fall they shall live on when ever you cry “For Ascalon!”

"Rewards"

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Well I don’t think rewards are a bad thing. Especially in these kinds of games so I really have no idea what your beef is with.

Playing the game can indeed and SHOULD be fun just for doing so, however earning rewards on top of that is always a nice bonus. In these kinds of games building up wealth alongside of your character strength etc is usually all part of the fun of it. Again, rewards are NOT a bad thing.

I can and easily do play other games that don’t reward me in a reward type of system that gives shines. A good example is that I have always been a civilization fan and when I’m not playing GW2 there is a good chance I am playing civ5. There you build up your nation and can go to war with others to win the game or win in other ways. There is no shinies to earn as such but you do take their land/cash etc. The true reward however is playing the game to the best of your ability and winning by the strategy that you set and use.

I’m sure many people here still play the COD series as well as plenty of other games where you get no shines and have a blast.

Don’t go labelling us all as greedy shiny collectors and say it’s a bad thing. Because once again I say that is usually a big part of what makes THESE types of games fun. Start from nothing, build up your char, build up your wealth and then look back on it all and feel proud of what you have accomplished. What is so wrong with that?

You can’t compare an MMO with a shooter. You cant compare an MMO with civilization. In a shooter, you shoot things, maybe progress yourself a bit and thats about it. In civilization, you build up a civ and thats about it. In MMOs, its a much more complicated beast and yes there should be rewards in an MMO to keep players in the game because a developer will be constantly adding content to the game, and they need their players to be playing and spending money on the game.

With that said, now that we can effectively eliminate the comparison to COD and Civ, if all you play an MMO for is for shinies and loot, then thats your prerogative. But there is much more to a gaming experience than collecting loot and the sooner people realize it, the better off we will be. The better off a developer will be.

Just as an interesting observation: Look back prior to November 15th and prior to when the game began showering us with loot. The forums were much more positive in my opinion. Sure there were people complaining that there wasnt much to do. But I feel those people were less noisy than the complainers of today(myself :P). This forum was a much more pleasant place to be. Now, it is toxic. Noisy.

I think the reason for this is because we now have a sense of entitlement: “Well wheres my shiny?!!?” Instead of playing the game and simply having fun because its a video game.

“You can’t compare an MMO with a shooter. You cant compare an MMO with civilization.”

Actually yes I can when you are here telling us to play and enjoy this game in the EXACT same way people enjoy the types of games I have mentioned.

“With that said, now that we can effectively eliminate the comparison to COD and Civ, if all you play an MMO for is for shinies and loot, then thats your prerogative. But there is much more to a gaming experience than collecting loot and the sooner people realize it, the better off we will be. The better off a developer will be.”

Where did I say I play purely for loot? IF you knew me you would know this is far from the truth. I have 7 chars with world complete now, yes I did that for the loot (sarcasm). I probably play this game for fun more than anybody and in ways most people do not but I don’t come here and try to force that down everybody’s throats like you are.

I think you have taken the changes to the game recently backwards too. They have NOT been adding more rewards simply for the sake of it. If anything it was because people were complaining they were not rewarded for the playing they were doing. They simply just addressed that. Where have they added new game content purely JUST for the new rewards? They have gone back and updated OLD content with new rewards.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

"Rewards"

Posted by: Banquetto.9521

Banquetto.9521

Blizzard brainwashed a generation of MMO players into thinking a themepark MMO with endless gear grind, and a paid subscription is the way to go for the MMO industry.

Isn’t it funny that whenever Blizzard does something that people like, it’s all “oh they copied that from EverQuest, they never do anything original.”

But as soon as it’s something that you don’t like – such as “endless gear grind, and a paid subscription” – suddenly, we’ll pretend that EverQuest never existed, and that nobody ever dreamed of implementing such a horrible thing until Blizzard launched WoW.

"Rewards"

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Blizzard brainwashed a generation of MMO players into thinking a themepark MMO with endless gear grind, and a paid subscription is the way to go for the MMO industry.

Isn’t it funny that whenever Blizzard does something that people like, it’s all “oh they copied that from EverQuest, they never do anything original.”

But as soon as it’s something that you don’t like – such as “endless gear grind, and a paid subscription” – suddenly, we’ll pretend that EverQuest never existed, and that nobody ever dreamed of implementing such a horrible thing until Blizzard launched WoW.

WoW had a much greater impact on the MMO genre than Everquest ever did. Blizzard may have copied a lot of what earlier MMO’s did. However, vastly more people “learned” what to expect from an MMO from WoW than did from all of the earlier MMO’s combined.