Rifle and Short Bow

Rifle and Short Bow

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Black Iris Flowers.3418

Black Iris Flowers.3418

The rifle and short bow weapons are available to the least amount of classes (warrior and engineer, ranger and thief, respectively). It seems odd to me that these are available to less than a third of the classes while the staff is available to 7/9. Perhaps its just me but I’d like to see these weapons become more widely used in game. If anyone agrees, has thoughts to share, or has an idea for elite specs with these weapons please share below!

Given the lack of mid ranged options for Revenant I’d be open to a short bow elite specialization. Not going to lie though I’m struggling to come up with a character ‘legendary’ enough to become a legendary stance to match. I loved Pyre Fierceshot in EotN but as I said- not sure if he’s special enough. Melandru being a goddess certainly would be but I don’t believe it was said anywhere that the human gods are in the Mists. Plus I can’t see other races (cough cough charr) channeling a human deity.

Rifle and Short Bow

Posted by: Sorin Noroku.5342

Sorin Noroku.5342

Urgoz from Cantha was a hunter, he could have the shortbow. We could see things like splinter weapon and vampire weapon skills from ritualist come back. Maybe even turret like ghosts?!

Rifle and Short Bow

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Urgoz from Cantha was a hunter, he could have the shortbow. We could see things like splinter weapon and vampire weapon skills from ritualist come back. Maybe even turret like ghosts?!

Ooo, I like the idea of Urgoz. Perhaps the focus could be AoE environmental affects in tribute to Urgoz’s Warren mission. Maybe in the form of traps (long range target trap skills would be beautiful)

Rifle and Short Bow

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

What an interesting idea, firing traps from a shortbow as the 1-5 skills. Making my ranger jealous already.

Rifle and Short Bow

Posted by: rabidsmiles.5926

rabidsmiles.5926

I’d love for SB to be used on more professions…Dreamer is my favorite legendary hands down. Sucks that it can only be used on a condi build for Rangers and as a basic movement vehicle for a Thief.

Rifle and Short Bow

Posted by: Ivantreil.3092

Ivantreil.3092

Ranger and Thief are great candidates to have rifle in future specializations, also, mesmer having access to rifle would be unique too, as using them in a magical way rather how the rest of the classes use them.

PvP Rifle Engi player no matter how dark the meta is.

Metabattle: Drunk Engineer build

Rifle and Short Bow

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Ranger and Thief are great candidates to have rifle in future specializations, also, mesmer having access to rifle would be unique too, as using them in a magical way rather how the rest of the classes use them.

Ranger was my initial thought for rifle. I hesitated to mention it since ranger has three two-handed weapon sets already (longbow, shortbow, and staff) and it would be nice to see more one handed combos.

Thief however.. a Sniper spec would be awesome and finally give the profession a 1200 range

Rifle and Short Bow

Posted by: MrGhosty.4296

MrGhosty.4296

Rifle seems like a nobrainer for a ranger elite spec, and the same for thief. As a ranger main I would love to see an elite spec centered around the idea of being a hunter, with the skills and such built around the concept of a master tracker, maybe some throwable snares with some fun rifle skins that apply condi pressure.

For Thief I would love a sniper type spec that centered around applying a great deal of damage but having few defensive options that seems like it would fit in the thief wheelhouse quite nicely. Perhaps have the skills less about condi and more straight up power. Additionally the ultimate skill could be putting your rifle on a tripod or support and have it be able to fire a few high powered shots (thinking something as strong as the sniper rifles in the Verdant Brink meta event line)

With guardian, I would like to see them play on the idea of being a monster hunter with supplementary skills providing more long range support for group play.
My ideal would be decent ranged skills for the main weapon with elite spec skills focused around ranged group support. The dream scenario is a guardian being able to help their group fight well from one position while able to send buffs and defenses to another group that is elsewhere in the fight sort of thing.

Rifle and Short Bow

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Yes please

Rifle and Short Bow

Posted by: Zedek.8932

Zedek.8932

Additionally the ultimate skill could be putting your rifle on a tripod or support and have it be able to fire a few high powered shots (thinking something as strong as the sniper rifles in the Verdant Brink meta event line)

Oh god, no. I fail hard to imagine this ingame. And how this would fit into the Thief class. We are neither snipers nor Jhin from League of Legends.

I’d like to have some focus on the basic idea of the thief class – and not driving it away like ArenaNet is doing right now by killing our profession’s identity. (Loud) rifles would be kinda off. I know the 1,200 range is for many a very important aspect, but I am not really sure about that…

Excelsior.

Zedexx, sly Asura Thief/Assassin
and politically highly incorrect. (#Asuracist)
“We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!”

Rifle and Short Bow

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

but there are rifles in the game with suppressors and muzzle breaks

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

Rifle and Short Bow

Black Iris Flowers.3418

Oh god, no. I fail hard to imagine this ingame. And how this would fit into the Thief class. We are neither snipers nor Jhin from League of Legends.

I’d like to have some focus on the basic idea of the thief class – and not driving it away like ArenaNet is doing right now by killing our profession’s identity. (Loud) rifles would be kinda off. I know the 1,200 range is for many a very important aspect, but I am not really sure about that…

Excelsior.

When I think rifles and thieves I picture Deadshot. Line it up, fire a few powerful shots, be gone before anyone is the wiser.

Rifle and Short Bow

Posted by: Ivantreil.3092

Ivantreil.3092

As how it was mentioned in the discussion made about rifle thief in the thief forum:
Powerful long range weapon + Stealth = Recipe for power creep disaster.

Ideas for balance that?

PvP Rifle Engi player no matter how dark the meta is.

Metabattle: Drunk Engineer build

(edited by Ivantreil.3092)

Rifle and Short Bow

Black Iris Flowers.3418

As how it was mentioned in the discussion made about rifle thief in the thief forum:
Powerful long range weapon + Stealth = Recipe for power creep disaster.

Ideas for balance that?

Maybe a ‘revealed’ affect after certain skills, high initiative cost, some kind of sacrifice cost necro corruption (ie: Recoil- take damage or a daze/stun affect when using ‘X’ shot)

Rifle and Short Bow

Posted by: Trise.2865

Trise.2865

Excelsior.

When I think rifles and thieves I picture Deadshot. Line it up, fire a few powerful shots, be gone before anyone is the wiser.

That works, actually. Being stationary in GW2 means almost certain death much of the time. Only true masters of stealth and evasion would even attempt to use a weapon that requires holding still for relatively long periods of time (i.e. >1s) to use effectively. Pretty kittene for PvP though. I assume most people wouldn’t bother, even if it had a guaranteed one-shot kill.

Maybe toss in some inspiration from Overwatch as well, specifically McCree’s ultimate: an attack that will always kill what it hits (players and normal mobs; interactions with advanced mobs/bosses, TBD), but has a cast time relative to the target’s current HP. …an “Ending Shot”, as it were. It fits in with the Thief theme too, literally stealing kills with this move; as your allies reduce the target’s HP, your ending shot speeds up.

Rifle and Short Bow

Black Iris Flowers.3418

That works, actually. Being stationary in GW2 means almost certain death much of the time. Only true masters of stealth and evasion would even attempt to use a weapon that requires holding still for relatively long periods of time (i.e. >1s) to use effectively. Pretty kittene for PvP though. I assume most people wouldn’t bother, even if it had a guaranteed one-shot kill.

Maybe toss in some inspiration from Overwatch as well, specifically McCree’s ultimate: an attack that will always kill what it hits (players and normal mobs; interactions with advanced mobs/bosses, TBD), but has a cast time relative to the target’s current HP. …an “Ending Shot”, as it were. It fits in with the Thief theme too, literally stealing kills with this move; as your allies reduce the target’s HP, your ending shot speeds up.

I’m loving the concept I just worry about the PvP aspect of it. People would either complain that it’s OP in it’s 1-2 hit capabilities orrrr say that it’s too weak in skirmishing combat