Risen Grubs disabled? Why?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Velius.3791

Velius.3791

“That content has been temporarily disabled. Please try again later.”

This message should never appear without some sort of prior explanation. Just why am I unable to kill risen grubs again? Poor communication begets angry consumers.

tldr: Risen Grubs (at least in straights of devastation) no longer give loot/experience, for no apparent reason.

Posted by: Darmikau.9413

Darmikau.9413

My guess is because people would bot farm them, since Champion Risen Giants could infinitely spawn them.

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

tldr for two sentences? really?

Posted by: konosh.4721

konosh.4721

My guess is because people would bot farm them, since Champion Risen Giants could infinitely spawn them.

Not just bots, but many active players too.

Velius.3791

tldr for two sentences? really?

was it helpful to you?

Posted by: Oxe.6142

Oxe.6142

No. In general I think tldr’s are a waste of time and coddling people that couldn’t understand what was written anyway so they don’t need to be included in the conversation in the first place. Placing a tldr on a sentence is a new low.

Posted by: Dinocool.3069

Dinocool.3069

Arenanet does not want to making repetitive grinding profitable, killing the same mob over and over again is one example of this.

I can’t believe people have the gall to complain about this.
The way I see it is this:

Now where not forced to farm grubs as the most competitive way of making money. Hooray!

Velius.3791

Actually, I was doing an event during which grubs spawned. My choices are to either: exert effort to kill them, for no possible reward; or b) let them kill me. If grubs are THAT profitable to farm (doubtful), they should just be removed from the game.

Posted by: hype r.5431

hype r.5431

you could get t5/6 poison sacs from them among other things.

Posted by: Edge.4180

Edge.4180

Arenanet does not want to making repetitive grinding profitable, killing the same mob over and over again is one example of this.

I seriously almost spit up the water I was drinking when I read this.

After I spent 3 days grinding through the same patch of Grawl to collect the 100+ totem drops I needed to craft my latest equipment set, all I can say is that their hopes clearly aren’t mirrored by the cruel reality of their design.

Posted by: Garenthal.1480

Garenthal.1480

Perhaps a better compromise would be to ensure that enemies that spawn additional combatants can only do it a certain number of times before their minions cease dropping loot?

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

is that why the message appears? Anet’s patches have caused more problems then fixes.

Posted by: flippa.9043

flippa.9043

easy fix to farming for mat is to get rid of crafting

Posted by: Tiresias.6473

Tiresias.6473

After I spent 3 days grinding through the same patch of Grawl to collect the 100+ totem drops I needed to craft my latest equipment set, all I can say is that their hopes clearly aren’t mirrored by the cruel reality of their design.

You are stuck in a WoW mentality.

I am hard-pressed to think of a crafting material that is soulbound in this game. Go out and do something more fun, then use the money generated from that activity to buy your materials.

Main character: Winter Harvest (Necromancer)
[BICE] Black Ice / Maguuma Server

Edge.4180

You are stuck in a WoW mentality.

I am hard-pressed to think of a crafting material that is soulbound in this game. Go out and do something more fun, then use the money generated from that activity to buy your materials.

Why are you making the assumption that I didn’t already consider this route? Unfortunately, it’s bad advice because the amount of money I can earn through standard play is not even remotely close to being enough to cover the cost of buying the materials on the trade post. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

Furthermore, the idea here is to craft the gear and then wear it while it’s still useful. If you start hopping through a ton of events to earn money quickly, you’ll end up earning so much experience in the process that you’ll quickly out-level the gear you’re aiming to craft. You also end up with gear drops that are higher level (and thus a superior choice to your crafted gear). It completely kills the point of crafting (for people like me who craft to create and wear their own equipment).

I’m not stuck in the WoW mentality, the drop rate and this particular aspect of the crafting design are.

Feel free to visit the link below if you want to read up more on the problem:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/crafting/I-just-want-to-be-able-to-craft-items-I-ll-use-as-I-level/first#post159583

Posted by: SpectacularYak.6518

SpectacularYak.6518

Perpetual grub farming was an exploit.

TLDR – Grub farming bad.

SpectacularYak.6518

Why are you making the assumption that I didn’t already consider this route? Unfortunately, it’s bad advice because the amount of money I can earn through standard play is not even remotely close to being enough to cover the cost of buying the materials on the trade post. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I must be stretching my imagination to crazy degrees, because I’m closing in on full crafted exotics and I bought almost all my materials off the auction house with money I made just tooling around doing random stuff.

“Not by any stretch of the imagination”. Hyperbole for the win.

Posted by: Rpgtabbycat.5869

Rpgtabbycat.5869

Wouldn’t it have made more sense to make him spawn grubs only when he reaches certain percentages in health points than to disable loot drops from the grubs in the first place?

Posted by: Trock Bronze.9625

Trock Bronze.9625

killing random mobs of the same sort in the wild is not the same as an infinite spawner of 1 mob that you can ignore and indefinitely gain loot. Your grawl farming will not go, but if that Asura in the mountain were to say constantly throw grawl at you until you walked in there and killed him, and no one went in and killed him, only killing infinite grawl, then it would also be removed and later fixed like this.
Not to mention the speed and little effort required to obtain these materials exploiting the giant like this.

(edited by Trock Bronze.9625)

Posted by: Saber.7809

Saber.7809

This message also pops up killing grubs in Celadon Forest (Sylvari start area). Is that intended?

The Starflyer is real!

Trock Bronze.9625

This message also pops up killing grubs in Celadon Forest (Sylvari start area). Is that intended?

Until they decide how to fix it exactly, which is not as simple as some people think, all grubs have the loot disabled this way.

(edited by Trock Bronze.9625)

Posted by: OutsiderSubtype.4329

OutsiderSubtype.4329

Terrible communication by Anet.

Nothing about this in the patch notes. Nothing about this in the Dev Tracker.

Just a cryptic and worry-inducing error message in game that conveys none of the information that players actually need, namely that they will get no experience or loot from killing grubs.

Posted by: Tradewind.6913

Tradewind.6913

Because grinding worms that spawn from a mob you don’t intend to kill for 20 minutes to farm xp/money/mats is completely intentional?

Posted by: MasterYoda.8563

MasterYoda.8563

I got this after killing only ONE grub, I can understand if I killed 10 or more than yeah it would make sense but not after only one grub killed!

Game Security Lead “Closing this thread,
your account,and your 384 other accounts”
GG Anet

Tradewind.6913

Cause and effect? Like most of today’s punishments and issues you can thank the people that came before you.

SpectacularYak.6518

I applaud closing the exploit, but it really is a terrible implementation of a fix. At the very least, the grubs need to not be popping error messages, that’s just embarrassing.

Posted by: Failsociety.4569

Failsociety.4569

People were Farming the grubs that spawn from Giants. They would purposely keep the Giants alive so he would spawn waves of Grubs so they could farm the Grubs. It was an exploit. And as I said in the other Thread about this…

I honestly do not understand why some of you kids even play MMO’s anymore. A company should make a game just for people like you.

Already Max Level

Already all the best Items

All Bank/Bag Space Opened and Filled with the best Bags

You don’t have to ever Farm anything as you can place an order for it, with the Gold you recieve Daily in the sum of <You wont be able to spend it all if you tried>

The game would be cheap as there would be no need for Content, after all, you’ve already cleared that Content before your character was even made. You have all the gear from all the hardest raids. Welcome to your glorified chat room.

A Game like I described would be an awesome addition to those who feel like they shouldn’t have to “work” for anything in a MMO.

FFXI: 75 Blm Rdm Blu Thf Smn Nin Bst (Retired since Abyssea) FFXIV: 50 War Blm Whm Brd Pld
Loathe WoW and the Community it brings.

Posted by: Avatar.1923

personnaly im old school.
i go with the flow. if after some adventuring time i can craft something or buy something i do it.
and i like that gw2 is cool with peeps like me.
ok.. i wont have the “utmost” best toon, or the best legendary set right away. itll be piece by piece; but ill still own you in pvp

but the reality is otherwise; most players are in a race. either against themselves or the system. its a question of profit, stat pumping. this is whay get their afrenaline going.
is it “because of WoW” ? not sure, maybe WoW just ended up listening to the majority, amd that majority is vocal: we are a generation of powergamers.

(edited by Avatar.1923)

Posted by: ShadowGryphon.6257

ShadowGryphon.6257

Here’s the thing: if the grubs spawn as a mechanic of fighting a risen giant, then keeping the giant alive to harvest grubs is NOT, by definition, an exploit.
An exploit is a flaw in game code discovered by a player and used to unfairly enrich his/her self (hence the usage of the word exploit ) I.E.: the karma price exploit.
It was clearly coded into the game, on purpose, and should not be nerfed or have drops disabled.

If someone is talking behind your back… Fart.
North Alabama Guild Wars Players
http://tinyurl.com/y9hj2h4b

Trock Bronze.9625

Here’s the thing: if the grubs spawn as a mechanic of fighting a risen giant, then keeping the giant alive to harvest grubs is NOT, by definition, an exploit.
An exploit is a flaw in game code discovered by a player and used to unfairly enrich his/her self (hence the usage of the word exploit ) I.E.: the karma price exploit.
It was clearly coded into the game, on purpose, and should not be nerfed or have drops disabled.

Your wrong, while coded in the game, the result of exploitation was not desired and them taking it down is proof. People were not playing as intended and did something they did not expect which ruined how the giants function. It was not meant to be a farming thing at all, you were meant to be fighting the giant who adds mobs to help him fight, but your fight was meant to be with him. The exploit is the fact that you are ignoring him to create a scenario where you benefit far more then you should.

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

is that why the message appears? Anet’s patches have caused more problems then fixes.

So… when are these fixes coming? I didn’t see any fixes, and I just arrived in Orr too =( Oh well, you don’t have to kill that particular grubs anyway but if mobs are being spawned at a fast rate then the players should be compensated for that somehow.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

This is clearly not a fix. It is ‘temporarily’ disabled.

The most obvious reason for them disabling it is to prevent further abuse while they sort out a fix. Fixes can take time. Relax and kill something else.

PS: This is an exploit.

Exploit: An exploit (from the verb to exploit, in the meaning of using something to one’s own advantage) is a piece of software, a chunk of data, or sequence of commands that takes advantage of a bug, glitch or vulnerability in order to cause unintended or unanticipated behaviour to occur on computer software….

Bug: A software bug is an error, flaw, mistake, failure, or fault in a computer program or system that produces an incorrect or unexpected result

(Sources are wikipedia, sue me)

It is pretty clear that this was an unexpected result and that many people were taking advantage of the situation.

Edge.4180

I must be stretching my imagination to crazy degrees, because I’m closing in on full crafted exotics and I bought almost all my materials off the auction house with money I made just tooling around doing random stuff.

“Not by any stretch of the imagination”. Hyperbole for the win.

Are you not aware that different tiers of crafting materials cost differing amounts on the auction house? Or that characters earn different amounts of money at different levels?

Thus, while your experience at your level and crafting tier may be different than mine, I am completely correct when I say " the amount of money I can earn through standard play is not even remotely close to being enough to cover the cost of buying the materials on the trade post. Not by any stretch of the imagination."

Posted by: Kal.2376

Kal.2376

It’s fine that they did it for balance sake, and I understand that… But they could have removed the error message. If I get no loot and exp, cool. But that error message is pretty bad.

Agemnon.4608

So, when is the random “invulnerable” underwater bug getting fixed? I have to blow so many cooldowns to burst normal mobs as fast as I can before the invulnerability activates. Usually, by attuning to fire, blowing all those cooldowns, blow boiling water, then switch to earth and get in the 9 stacks of bleed, then finally to air where I stand close enough to it to ensure all three bolts pelt it, when in fact I’d just as easily kill it with auto-attacking lightning at close range (not all mobs of course but this is just for a 1vs1 against certain mobs).

Velius.3791

Disabling loot/exp off ALL grubs in the game (caledon, random spawns in orr, event spawns) is, without a doubt, the most ham-handed way of resolving this situation.

Tradewind.6913

Disabling loot/exp off ALL grubs in the game (caledon, random spawns in orr, event spawns) is, without a doubt, the most ham-handed way of resolving this situation.

What would be your solution to the problem, keeping in mind it has to be implemented quickly, minimal development time so as to not let the problem exist for too long as to impact the game any more. People need to look up the term “temporary.”

Velius.3791

What would be your solution to the problem, keeping in mind it has to be implemented quickly, minimal development time so as to not let the problem exist for too long as to impact the game any more. People need to look up the term “temporary.”

-First, excuse my failure to quote properly.

My proposed solution? Almost certainly equally ham-handed, but removing the giant(s) from the game would have fixed the issue (while still allowing people to kill random grubs along the road/kill them in low level zones).

Alternatively, changing grub spawns to every 25% life loss by the giant would have worked as well.

Edge.4180

If it is indeed like this for all grubs, I feel bad for anyone needing venom sacs. In any given zone you can probably find more than one type of creature that drops venom sacs. But in some zones (Kessex Hills, for example, where the second tier of crafting begins) grubs are the only creature that are high enough level where the needed tier of venom sacs can be found.

Agemnon.4608

I know you didn’t ask me, but I’d simply stop having grubs spawn around the giant.

Tradewind.6913

So the other options suggested are:

- remove the mob(s)
- break the mob/trivialize it

how is it different than just making the grubs give no loot? It affecting all grubs kind of sucks, but I can’t be the only person who sees that it’s clearly temporary and unintentional.

Posted by: Strato.4389

Strato.4389

People were Farming the grubs that spawn from Giants. They would purposely keep the Giants alive so he would spawn waves of Grubs so they could farm the Grubs. It was an exploit. And as I said in the other Thread about this…
I honestly do not understand why some of you kids even play MMO’s anymore. A company should make a game just for people like you.
Already Max Level
Already all the best Items
All Bank/Bag Space Opened and Filled with the best Bags
You don’t have to ever Farm anything as you can place an order for it, with the Gold you recieve Daily in the sum of <You wont be able to spend it all if you tried>
The game would be cheap as there would be no need for Content, after all, you’ve already cleared that Content before your character was even made. You have all the gear from all the hardest raids. Welcome to your glorified chat room.
A Game like I described would be an awesome addition to those who feel like they shouldn’t have to “work” for anything in a MMO.

Sorry, but farming isn’t an option in this game. Players get punished for spending time mind numbingly farming 928340928409820943 monsters (exact numbers) to get materials to build one piece of gear. For bots, it doesn’t matter.

Telling players to use their money to buy inflated materials on the trading post isn’t an option either. Prices are really high, getting tier 5 mats to use at the mystic forge to convert into T6 mats takes -tons- of time. I’m not talking 1-2 hours a day, I am talking 3-4 hours a day constantly switching spots. WITH magic find gear. Making tons of gold to buy this stuff requires a lot of sitting down at the trading post to figure out a realistic option to generate 3-4 gold an hour from it.

People who haven’t abused bugs, (Karma gear being resold to vendors, cheating Explorable dungeons, transferring servers and farming out Orichalcum.), and don’t bot are the ones getting punished by all this anti-farming stuff.

It isn’t really the grubs thing that has people annoyed. It is The entire community getting punished cause of botters/exploiters.

Tradewind.6913

It isn’t really the grubs thing that has people annoyed. It is The entire community getting punished cause of botters/exploiters.

I’m sure if there was a quick way to fix it so that it didn’t affect the legitimate players they would have. But to curtail botters/exploiters immediately, sometimes it has to be drastic.

Strato.4389

I’m sure if there was a quick way to fix it so that it didn’t affect the legitimate players they would have. But to curtail botters/exploiters immediately, sometimes it has to be drastic.

So drastic that the same 15 bots at the same 4 karma events are still there after a week and a half of doing it? Karma prices had to be raised on non-level 80 gear why?

It is all a knee-jerk reaction. I don’t care about the grubs, cause I don’t sit at an event to farm grubs. I want my karma, random greens/blues/yellows (assuming any drop cause I’ve been in the zone for longer than 20 minutes lols), and to move on. If a event is bugged, I leave. If I see people abusing something, I report it.

I’m the type of legit player that is getting punished by -wanting- to put in time. Instead, all I see is exploiters, and bots getting rewarded.

Tradewind.6913

Because karma gear was tookittencheap to begin with?

Strato.4389

And it was worse than most crafted greens to begin with?

30k+ for level 60 karma gear is a bit silly. 63k for bad stats, and a skin is even worse. Sorry, but karma gear just isn’t worth it in any shape or form. Even temple karma gear is a terrible buy.

If I am spending all day to get 60k+ Karma to buy something from a temple, it should at least have decent stats lines. And no, I am not talking about “SO AMAZING +30 to every stat” WoW crap. I am talking more options outside of condition based evil-spikey armor set.

Cultural karma vendors need to be lowered and made completely race specific. Let Ebonhawk, and Lionguard keep their own and lower the T1/T2 stuff. It costs way, way to much for mediocre skins.

Tradewind.6913

If karma gear wasn’t worth it, then what’s the problem? People were farming karma in ridiculous quantities by “botting/exploiting/whatever” repeat events, buying the gear and either reselling it, or salvaging it for materials in large quantities. This was obviously not intended…so, it got changed?

I’m not sure why this is a shock. Things change all the time in mmo’s, either becoming easier or more prohibitive depending on what the developers see.

Posted by: SHM.7628

SHM.7628

I can’t believe people have the gall to complain about this.
The way I see it is this:

Now where not forced to farm grubs as the most competitive way of making money. Hooray!

What nonsense. If they don’t want you to kill them = they should remove them entirely. I think this is more of a bug than anything intentional anyway.

Strato.4389

If karma gear wasn’t worth it, then what’s the problem? People were farming karma in ridiculous quantities by “botting/exploiting/whatever” repeat events, buying the gear and either reselling it, or salvaging it for materials in large quantities. This was obviously not intended…so, it got changed?
I’m not sure why this is a shock. Things change all the time in mmo’s, either becoming easier or more prohibitive depending on what the developers see

This is a dense response. They got changed in prices -AND how they function-. Karma gear is now soulbound, unsalvagable, and unsellable. Which it should of been in the first place. On top of that, their prices got raised by 300 fold.

So, what is your next reason? Cause there is none. You can’t magically get 250k~ karma a day to make exotic weapons from these vendors. If they didn’t want people farming karma, repeat events would of been removed. So instead, we get…

Karma prices raised to unrealistic values pre-80.
All karma items non-salvagable/sellable/soulbound on buy (should of been like this from the start).

Bots win, players lose.

Want to farm your own materials? Hope you like spending 2-3 silver to waypoint to the next zone every 30 minutes.

Drastic measures were not needed on the players, but on the people exploiting to get insane sums of money. Yet those people that exploited are still here, and the botters have never got banned.

Tradewind.6913

It’s dense because it doesn’t align with your opinion? This is why discussions with you people are fruitless. Even more so when you just repeat what is said to you then attempt to defenestrate it without giving any reason as to why it’s wrong. Unless you count hyperbole. The saddest part is that you actually know what you need to go and do to accomplish your goals, you’re just too idle to go and do it and want everything changed back for you.

(edited by Tradewind.6913)