RnG beta key lottery??

RnG beta key lottery??

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Of course not, but it might very well be up for a weekend or even a full week or two.

And do you know why all you can do is say what “might” be, instead of what will be?

Because this guy is right:

i have no issue with the way they are controlling access to the beta. However, I wish they would provide full disclosure on what will be in the beta to everyone, even if its just a write up.

ArenaNet is (again) having horrible communication. They told people how to get access to the beta, but they haven’t announced when will the beta be, or what kind of content it will have, or any other relevant information.

What if someone spends a lot of time grinding for access (because that’s effectively the only way to get access, by grinding), and the beta happens to be in a day in which said someone is busy? Whose fault do you think that would be?

ArenaNet should at least have told us when is the beta going to be, and what content it will feature. But no, they didn’t manage to do even that.

What part of closed do you not understand. Closed beta means they don’t talk about it, that you don’t get know ahead of time unless you’re in it.

LoL, what? If this is your definition of “closed beta”, you’re sadly mistaken. It only means that the beta is limited to a certain number/group of players.

And unless you are one of those people it’s none of your business, so you don’t need to know. They will be informing those that get in, when it is and what it’s about, because that is what closed means.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: JackSpacer.4320

JackSpacer.4320

Yeah I have a feeling I’m totally not going to get a key. Been in Silverwastes since the event started, and I’m just getting burned out at this point. I don’t even know how many breach events I’ve done, but I’ve only seen one person find a key since yesterday.

I think I’m just gonna buy skins, take a break and come back when the expansion actually comes out. If I keep this up, I’m just going to burn myself out to the point of just quitting for a solid year again >_<

“The hype is real.”

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: heartless.6803

heartless.6803

Of course not, but it might very well be up for a weekend or even a full week or two.

And do you know why all you can do is say what “might” be, instead of what will be?

i have no issue with the way they are controlling access to the beta. However, I wish they would provide full disclosure on what will be in the beta to everyone, even if its just a write up.

ArenaNet is (again) having horrible communication. They told people how to get access to the beta, but they haven’t announced when will the beta be, or what kind of content it will have, or any other relevant information.

What if someone spends a lot of time grinding for access (because that’s effectively the only way to get access, by grinding), and the beta happens to be in a day in which said someone is busy? Whose fault do you think that would be?

ArenaNet should at least have told us when is the beta going to be, and what content it will feature. But no, they didn’t manage to do even that.

What part of closed do you not understand. Closed beta means they don’t talk about it, that you don’t get know ahead of time unless you’re in it.

LoL, what? If this is your definition of “closed beta”, you’re sadly mistaken. It only means that the beta is limited to a certain number/group of players.

And unless you are one of those people it’s none of your business, so you don’t need to know. They will be informing those that get in, when it is and what it’s about, because that is what closed means.

There may or may not be an NDA attached to the close beta, but most likely there won’t be. Closed beta just means invite only. It has nothing to do with the level of secrecy involved with that. NDA’s will determine, if applicable, what you can and cannot talk about in closed betas. To be honest NDA’s are kinda a dying trend in gaming. They used to be great for generating hype but now that the market is so flooded with new games companies are more compelled to talk about things.

Disclaimer: Under no circumstance should you take this seriously.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Scoobaniec.9561

Scoobaniec.9561

I like how it is, it ensures that those testing have 80’s can navigate and play high level maps and actually know what they’re doing and are active players. It rewards people that actually play the game, instead of sending off invites to accounts that are either dead or played at launch for like 3 days and quit.

By your logic i should already have one considering the fact that i been playing on SW since last ls patch (97 coat box and counting). So far been farming 16h without luck and i start to doubt that i will ever get one.

In short, kitten rng.

The bulk of you still think that because I’ve been playing longer you feel like you’re entitled to something. Random is random, to everybody.

That said, the drop rate is really low on purpose. For Anet to base the long time appeal and vary the drop rate based on how many players they want in the beta. If they seen not enough people looted it, then they’ll increase the drop rate.

You have the false idea that the drop rate is a static drop rate, it’s not. It’s a dynamic drop rate.

Which has nothing to with being competive enough to test beta. Any fresh lv 80 random can hop in, kill one mob and get invited to beta, just like that.

RnG beta key lottery??

Kal Spiro.9745

There may or may not be an NDA attached to the close beta, but most likely there won’t be. Closed beta just means invite only. It has nothing to do with the level of secrecy involved with that. NDA’s will determine, if applicable, what you can and cannot talk about in closed betas. To be honest NDA’s are kinda a dying trend in gaming. They used to be great for generating hype but now that the market is so flooded with new games companies are more compelled to talk about things.

Yeah, that wasn’t really my point. I don’t think there will be an NDA, not considering the amount of information they’re released themselves. Once they let you play the game at the cons they generally drop the NDA.

What I’m getting at is, since it’s invite only they’re not announcing a time. It isn’t like an open beta where anyone can come in so you need to know when it is. In a closed beta then invite you and only those who are invited get told when it is and what’s going on. Since, technically, no one has actually been invited yet, since the contest is still on, there has been no reason for them to provide that information to anyone.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Weyrd.2794

Weyrd.2794

Yeah, that wasn’t really my point. I don’t think there will be an NDA, not considering the amount of information they’re released themselves. Once they let you play the game at the cons they generally drop the NDA.

What I’m getting at is, since it’s invite only they’re not announcing a time. It isn’t like an open beta where anyone can come in so you need to know when it is. In a closed beta then invite you and only those who are invited get told when it is and what’s going on. Since, technically, no one has actually been invited yet, since the contest is still on, there has been no reason for them to provide that information to anyone.

They’ve already confirmed no NDA.

RnG beta key lottery??

heartless.6803

I like how it is, it ensures that those testing have 80’s can navigate and play high level maps and actually know what they’re doing and are active players. It rewards people that actually play the game, instead of sending off invites to accounts that are either dead or played at launch for like 3 days and quit.

By your logic i should already have one considering the fact that i been playing on SW since last ls patch (97 coat box and counting). So far been farming 16h without luck and i start to doubt that i will ever get one.

In short, kitten rng.

The bulk of you still think that because I’ve been playing longer you feel like you’re entitled to something. Random is random, to everybody.

That said, the drop rate is really low on purpose. For Anet to base the long time appeal and vary the drop rate based on how many players they want in the beta. If they seen not enough people looted it, then they’ll increase the drop rate.

You have the false idea that the drop rate is a static drop rate, it’s not. It’s a dynamic drop rate.

Which has nothing to with being competive enough to test beta. Any fresh lv 80 random can hop in, kill one mob and get invited to beta, just like that.

Which is still better then inviting a random account that doesn’t even have an 80 and can’t even test anything. This isn’t a balance test, it’s a test to discover bugs in the new areas and such. Find spelling errors in quest text, because believe me beta testers are grammar kittens and will find spelling errors. Find out if dynamic events work, if there is any stray holes in the earth. Things like that, that don’t require too much competitive or competent thought behind.

The real only requirement is do you have an 80?
Can you get to a new zone?

which is essentially what the RNG portal drop is answering. Beta isn’t a sneak peak headstart. It’s not a I get to play early club like most people think.

RnG beta key lottery??

heartless.6803

They will announce a time when it starts. They announced the last one anyway. I think they’re holding off a testing weekend to see how this whole portal drop thing works.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Test.8734

Test.8734

Which is still better then inviting a random account that doesn’t even have an 80 and can’t even test anything.

False. People are not using their characters to beta test, so the fact that you have a character at level 80 or not does not mean you won’t be able to play in the HoT beta. So claiming that a “random account” without a 80 “can’t even test anything” is factually wrong.

Meanwhile, the current system doesn’t even ask if people want to join the beta or not. I hope I get an invite just so I can post a video of trashing it and laugh at how ArenaNet isn’t interested in knowing if those getting the portal want it or not.

RnG beta key lottery??

Scoobaniec.9561

I will put it shorty as i dont plan to make 1466454563page discussion. Its a psychology thing, people had no control over email invites so they was somewhat fine about it, but in this case AN gives them a illusion of a chance to get into beta by farming the kitten out of these maps.

How do these people will feel that after a 7 days they be left with sand while some lucky people got their invite day one? They better be prepared for massive ragequits, thats all i have to say. And theres no doubt they did it this “event” as numbers of online players massively dropped due to lack of contest updates. Illusion of a chance is the worst thing they could come up with either way.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Zanshin.5379

Zanshin.5379

IMO, it’s pretty bad PR to make people frustrated.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Muusic.2967

Muusic.2967

It guarantees that people who grind a lot get invited.

Absolutely not true.

Be who you are and say what you feel for those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind
~Dr. Seuss

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Orpheal.8263

Orpheal.8263

Its really lottery lol

Yesterday I farmed for several ours in silverwates making a couple of vine wrath runs for chests ect. – nothing at all other than 1 exotic weapon of a skin that I hand’t yet and a few rares aside from all the rares that you get rewarded with from the VW runs

Today, I log in into dry top to try this day this map out.
I’m not yet like 10 minutes logged on, I throw in my birthday MF cake and a MF buff food for 30% more MF after falling down in the map to a place full of skritt and I just thought to myself – ok I can give it a try now here. when I’m already here after being fallen down like a stone from heaven to this place, I can also just kill everything here now for the chance of the drop of all drops

and BAM

the very first skritt that I cornered at a place and killed dropped his kept “shiny” for me and it was the chest for me containing the Portal to the Maguuma Heart.

its all just about LUCK, whats exactly likely playing the lottery

Personally I like the idea behind sub classes ~ quoted from Chris Whiteside

(edited by Orpheal.8263)

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

This… is just a bad idea. More grinding in a game that said it wouldn’t have grinding. Because for people like me, the chronically unlucky, that’s what it amounts to. See, I’m one of those people who couldn’t loot/forge a precursor if my life depended on it. Been in game since early closed beta, have thousands of hours of play time, and it’s just not happening.

So why not just have those interested apply for beta? Gives you a chance to pick some actual active players (if a player can see their character’s age, I’m pretty sure the devs can see that AND how active the account is… it is registered somewhere, those famous metrics).

Currently, as far as I’m concerned, all I’m getting is a bad Silverwastes burnout. Give me a simple registration lottery any day…

RnG beta key lottery??

Scoobaniec.9561

PS. Found on reddit.

http://i.imgur.com/Q4QDByP.jpg

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Bellizare.5816

Bellizare.5816

The whole closed Beta thing seems silly. If they want player input, why not just host test servers? Probably would get more useful input from a wider base of players.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Hearte.6852

Hearte.6852

This… is just a bad idea. More grinding in a game that said it wouldn’t have grinding. Because for people like me, the chronically unlucky, that’s what it amounts to. See, I’m one of those people who couldn’t loot/forge a precursor if my life depended on it. Been in game since early closed beta, have thousands of hours of play time, and it’s just not happening.

So why not just have those interested apply for beta? Gives you a chance to pick some actual active players (if a player can see their character’s age, I’m pretty sure the devs can see that AND how active the account is… it is registered somewhere, those famous metrics).

Currently, as far as I’m concerned, all I’m getting is a bad Silverwastes burnout. Give me a simple registration lottery any day…

Exactly. Burned out on zones that we’re already burned out on. Because we want to play in a beta, we’re compelled to grind until we get a key. It’s setting people up for serious disappointment by the end of this event.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

Before:

RNG. Some players complained that they were as or more deserving of beta access, and that players who play a lot should have a higher chance of getting into the beta.

After:

RNG. Some players feel that they are as or more deserving of beta access. Players who -play a lot have a higher chance of getting into the beta.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

This is nothing to do with beta testing, this has everything to do with marketing hype.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

This is nothing to do with beta testing, this has everything to do with marketing hype.

False dichotomy.

Of course it has to do with both.

RnG beta key lottery??

Zanshin.5379

So the drop rate was too low indeed.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Is it really all that different now?

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

So the new Beta keys are purely down to RnG, given the way RnG has worked over the last 2 1/2 years it might be better if Anet just tell us how many people they want for the Beta Test, as if they only want say 2000 people….yea you get where this is going.

Do you have to have a lucky account or at least an 800% magic find rating before it will even consider you?

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

over the course of 2 t6 dry top runs tonite, our map found 6. it was a capped map, so around 120 people. i dont remember how many of us got them from wiggly chests, but it wasnt all of us. minimum 3.

in 1 t6 dry top run, 1 zergling completes about 25 events.

25 × 120 × 2 = 6000 event completions. we got 3~6 beta portals from 6000 event completions.

SO. drop rate is approximately 1/2000~1/1000, or .05~.1%, from dry top wiggly chests. assuming our sample is typical. i would believe any number from .01% – .5% without more data. cuz thats a pretty small success rate, even though it seems like a pretty decent sample size.

and this simple, quick calculation is of course ignoring magic find altogether.

edit: and of course im also assuming everyone who got one showed it

edit 2: sounds bad. let me put that in a bit better perspective — at .1% drop rate from wiggly chests, your expected farm time is 40 hours. of t6 dry top.
i would say event credits come even easier in sw, and dont have reason to think the drop rate would be different.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

(edited by insanemaniac.2456)

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Broom.2561

Broom.2561

Before:

RNG. Some players complained that they were as or more deserving of beta access, and that players who play a lot should have a higher chance of getting into the beta.

After:

RNG. Some players feel that they are as or more deserving of beta access. Players who -play a lot have a higher chance of getting into the beta.

It honestly doesn’t have anything to do with ‘more deserving’. It has to do with liking the idea of having a look at beta, but getting thoroughly burned out on the way in which access is available.

Like I already said, I think a registration of the interested would be better, whether the devs decide to give access by lottery, or set a parameter search for the type of player they want reactions from (dungeon runner, open world PVEer, many hours of play a week, time-limited, etc.). Just as long as they don’t make it yet another pointless grind. I’ll take my chances.

And actually, since trying for 8 hours of so yesterday, on my day off, my wrist hurts. That REALLY isn’t the kind of gameplay any company should encourage.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: metaldude.4132

metaldude.4132

Singing? like X factor? Now there’s an interesting way to do it!!!!

Challenge accepted XD

Sharpen your justice. Dust off resolve. Brace your courage. The Guardian dragonhunter approaches.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Wethospu.6437

Wethospu.6437

I heard all precursor drops have been replaced with these keys.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Biohazard.7523

Biohazard.7523

I hate rng thats why I wont participate in this thing. Stop giving us rng.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: cocowoushi.7150

cocowoushi.7150

I heard all precursor drops have been replaced with these keys.

I laughed.

But really people need to stop assuming that chat link = total and only number found. Last night one dropped for someone at North Lane and they linked it in /say, not /map. I saw at least 3 others linked in /map over a couple of VW runs and another on a different map for chest farming. Not to mention people who would link it in guild chat instead.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: TwoGhosts.6790

TwoGhosts.6790

Lol, really, at some of the comments in this thread; I couldn’t bring myself to read them all, but the gist of many of them seems to be a lot of QQing about the rng approach to access to a closed beta test. D*mn Anet for their transparency over their selection method for beta participants! And d*mn them again for not telling us what the chances actually are of success. D*mn them all.

Um, to state the bleeding obvious: for sure, in a lottery you ‘have to be in it to win it’, but participation does not guarantee success.

You could cut the air of entitlement in this thread with a knife. Really.

Hmmm, but maybe you’re right!? Wait. I’ll write to my National Lottery to complain that I haven’t won my £million yet, despite playing not just once, but in fact on several occasions. Sheesh, they really should sort out their system so that I win, d*mn them!

In all seriousness, it’s really not a bad method for getting beta testers; you’re likely to get a lot of ‘play-it-hard, maybe-till-it-breaks’ players, perhaps alongside some more casual and just lucky people.

The only other system that makes sense is: (1) apply for beta, (2) names of applicants drawn out of hat up to the beta limit.

Oh well. I’m not even sure why I care.

I think I was just dismayed by the attitude of some people here; and there was me thinking I was pretty much habituated to the internet by now.

~TG

PS… chasing something till your wrist hurts is probably not such a good idea, and can probably lead to blindness :P

(edited by TwoGhosts.6790)

RnG beta key lottery??

Kal Spiro.9745

over the course of 2 t6 dry top runs tonite, our map found 6. it was a capped map, so around 120 people. i dont remember how many of us got them from wiggly chests, but it wasnt all of us. minimum 3.

25 × 120 × 2 = 6000 event completions. we got 3~6 beta portals from 6000 event completions.

SO. drop rate is approximately 1/2000~1/1000, or .05~.1%, from dry top wiggly chests. assuming our sample is typical. i would believe any number from .01% – .5% without more data. cuz thats a pretty small success rate, even though it seems like a pretty decent sample size.

edit 2: sounds bad. let me put that in a bit better perspective — at .1% drop rate from wiggly chests, your expected farm time is 40 hours. of t6 dry top.
i would say event credits come even easier in sw, and dont have reason to think the drop rate would be different.

Erroneous data is erroneous. Your data requires that all announced finds are real and that all finds were announced. Neither of these is guaranteed, therefore your data is meaningless.

RnG beta key lottery??

Hearte.6852

@ about 14 total hours spent farming Dry Top or Silverwastes since event start so far with no key. Was the idea to make us so sick of these maps that we appreciate HoT that much more when it arrives, whenever that may be?

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Erroneous data is erroneous. Your data requires that all announced finds are real and that all finds were announced. Neither of these is guaranteed, therefore your data is meaningless.

yeah. duh. take it as a ballpark.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Jade Arkadian.9280

Jade Arkadian.9280

Grinded SW and Dry top for hours, and still nothing. Even after the RNG (slight) buff, this is really frustating for thoses who are really willing to participate in the beta.
You can’t even get it by spending gold or tokens…just pure RNG based on how much you grind.

Anyway, Anet will play RNG too on their side since from the lucky ones who got their portal, only a percentage of them will be fully available to test their beta (you know, you are not going to leave your job for a beta access)… and from thoses who try the beta, only a few will leave usefull feedback.

I’d rather prefer the newsletter subscription method for player invitation..at least people wouldnt get so sick of SW and DT.

Well, I can’t really complain, since I’ve got lots of T6 mats, exotics,rares and tons of geodes from this grinding.

(edited by Jade Arkadian.9280)

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: brannigan.9831

brannigan.9831

They should give beta keys to anybody that has supported the game since day 1. That makes at least as much sense as this nonsense.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: psionflames.5246

psionflames.5246

So many people are all “I spent x hours farming but I dont have a key and I deserve to be in this beta!” about this. But while it is certainly fun for the players invited, its primary goal is as a TOOL for them to test and improve their product before opening it to the general public.

Now, no matter what they did they can get enough people to fill out their test, no problem. But by making it a game event they are trying to give us what we have been asking for, something to do. The portals, like precursors, are something that would be awesome to have but that is in no way something you should expect to receive just because you want it.

I’ll log in for an hour or so each night and do a few events in the area just to see if I get lucky, but if I don’t I’m certainly not going to stress out over it. It would be like stressing out over not winning the lottery, you know when you enter you probably wont win but the fun is in hoping you do.

RnG beta key lottery??

Hearte.6852

So many people are all “I spent x hours farming but I dont have a key and I deserve to be in this beta!” about this. But while it is certainly fun for the players invited, its primary goal is as a TOOL for them to test and improve their product before opening it to the general public.

Now, no matter what they did they can get enough people to fill out their test, no problem. But by making it a game event they are trying to give us what we have been asking for, something to do. The portals, like precursors, are something that would be awesome to have but that is in no way something you should expect to receive just because you want it.

I’ll log in for an hour or so each night and do a few events in the area just to see if I get lucky, but if I don’t I’m certainly not going to stress out over it. It would be like stressing out over not winning the lottery, you know when you enter you probably wont win but the fun is in hoping you do.

Yes, everyone has been clamouring for something to do, but somehow I don’t think that a grindfest in 2 maps that we’re already tired of counts. There is no new content, simply a carrot on a stick. And yet, the new Gem Store releases don’t cease to flow…

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: psionflames.5246

psionflames.5246

Yes, everyone has been clamouring for something to do, but somehow I don’t think that a grindfest in 2 maps that we’re already tired of counts. There is no new content, simply a carrot on a stick. And yet, the new Gem Store releases don’t cease to flow…

If you are tried of it then DONT do it. It’s like complaining that buying a lottery ticket every week is a huge hassle because you haven’t won yet. For me, its fun because I’m doing events I wouldn’t have tried otherwise and theres that ephemeral chance of getting a portal. But no one should be doing this thinking “this sucks but I’m going to get a beta key out of it” because just like with the lottery its probably not going to happen.

Its also a bit disingenuous to equate content going into the gem store to a lack of content in the game, those are very different levels of effort from what is very probably different teams entirely.

I do agree that there isn’t much else contentwise coming out right now but that is likely because the people responsible for things are off putting out fires in expansionland. We can’t have our cake and eat it too, and I would much rather they deliver a really robust expansion than put out a bunch of filler to keep me distracted until then.

I know all of this is highly subjective based on how I look at things, but all I can really do is share my opinion.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

They should give beta keys to anybody that has supported the game since day 1. That makes at least as much sense as this nonsense.

So basically invite people that might not have played the game for over a year and most likely won’t play the beta?

It is always better to target the active parts of the player base for these kind of things.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

If you are signed up for the newsletter (the requirement for the previous beta), then you have a chance at the Beta already.

Looking for a portal only increases your chances of getting into the beta.

So they’ll run the event for X time. If they don’t have the numbers required by then, they will likely give access to a random set of players who are signed up to the newsletter but did not get the portal.

And you will need to sign up for the newsletter to get access, even if you get a portal.

Source: https://help.guildwars2.com/entries/91220997?_ga=1.53997227.2026881748.1375141109

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: ReV.6097

ReV.6097

I’m not a fan of DT or SW, don’t really enjoy my time in those maps as much, but some of it is personal, like Lag.
I’ll probably not grind as much, but who cares, Open Beta will still come even if you miss this one?

GW2 Role Play Deviant art -
Legacy of Kain:
[link]http://fav.me/d8kgamy[/link]

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Wintyr.1780

Wintyr.1780

RNG is the same for everyone when it resets you odds are the same as anyone eles this is a nice fair system way to go anet you did something right for once

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

FYI , three players just posted their portal drops in Dry Top in the space of 10 minutes.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

RnG beta key lottery??

Kal Spiro.9745

FYI , three players just posted their portal drops in Dry Top in the space of 10 minutes.

I make sure to post my portal drop every time I enter the zone, or whenever anyone else does. Because reasons.

I know if I actually get one, though, I’m not telling anyone about it cause no one actually cares unless it’s them.

RnG beta key lottery??

Zanshin.5379

Gah, I’m giving up, this is not worth spending days doing things I do not like doing.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Terrahero.9358

Terrahero.9358

So basically invite people that might not have played the game for over a year and most likely won’t play the beta?

It is always better to target the active parts of the player base for these kind of things.

They could have moderated invites with “active in past <X time period>”.

The current system doesn’t invite active people, it invites people who grind SW. Could’ve been players who havent logged in, in months. While people who mostly play WvW, or do not have lots of time to grind but have been consistently active since launch are less likely to get in or outright excluded if they do not want to grind SW/DT.

And the grind part was dumb. If a mailing list is used and someone doesn’t get invited, aw balls, to bad. But it didnt take away from your normal time spend, nor did it force you into a very specific gameplay.
Now someone could’ve spend 40h grinding for a key in content you otherwise do not enjoy (anymore) and not get anything.

This system will leave people more frustrated, burned out, and limit itself only to those with a grind mentality in a very narrow part of what GW2 has to offer.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

And yet it is a grind is a great way to see if you are fit for a beta in the first place.
A beta is basically grinding the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over again. If you don’t like that, you shouldn’t be in a closed beta in the first place.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

OP, Anet can decide whenever they want to stope the drops of portals as soon as they feel that enough players who have unlocked it.

I myself are super hyped for this idéa and in my Opinion this is the best Closed-beta-key-give-away I have ever taken part in. I hate the mailinglist Giveaway, it feels so bad… I have had a few friends getting beta keys from other MMO’s I have played but they have been inactive and never played the beta. This way we can be sure that most of the players who gets beta access will be active players.

And also and important message to everyone who seem not to understand that; Beta is something you play to find Bugs and glitches to report them to the creators of a game, it is NOT a preview of the game so DO NOT expect that what you will see in the beta is a finnished product!

And over to the RNG beta keys. Well I have done one Silverwaste run a day now for 3-4 weeks and my guild happens to find it fun to protect the keeps and fighting, we do not like when a commander starts a chest-farming train. So by doing SW once a day becouse it is fun and you get loot while having fun, I don’t see that as farming. Also I do farm Dry Top becouse I want to craft me two Ambrite weapons so I need Tokens to buy the recepies. I do not expect to find a portal becoue I am pretty unlucky but I feel that my chances are higher this way than it was before when I was compeeting with everyone with a mailing address. And as I said before I am happy to know that it will be active players who will get beta Access.

I think that many inactive players who comes back to the game only to play the Beta mostly do it becouse they want to have a preview of the expac. And when they have played it they will complain about it becouse thave allready decided that GW2 isn’t fun, they have got tired of it before and an Expac is not a new game so they will most likely not like whats new.

(Edit out text that was uneccesary… Or how you spell it :P)

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

(edited by EdgarMTanaka.7291)

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

it’s so hurd :<

I hate farming for a specific drop in games cuz it simply never happens.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

RnG beta key lottery??

Posted by: mulzi.8273

mulzi.8273

I wonder if their anti-farming code kicks in with the portal stones. If you are spending x amount of hours there, killing the same mordrem over and over, does this decrease your chances?

Seems strange that i have a warrior who spent long stretches of hours out there and gets nothing, and I log in with my ele and get the portal in the first 5-10 minutes she entered the zone. RNG of course, but makes you wonder…